Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: MTAC

GHScorpiosRule
  • Start Topic

If the title doesn't make sense, David, or any mod, please feel free to change/edit!

Y'all, I met the current Deputy Assistant Director of NCIS today! She's so super nice! I was at an ADL (Anti-Defamation League) and LEO Seminar, where a bunch of feds had gone to Israel to attend the national counter-terrorism conference.

And well, I feel stupid now, because apparently, NCIS doesn't just investigate Navy and Marine crimes! They've always been world-wide and involved in counter-terrorism. Something the Feebs are NOT. But they do work with them, and when they have jurisdiction, they're the primary...so...well, I'll just shut up from here on out, when I see our team go investigation beyond.

And the ratio of female investigators to male is like...well..I suck at math, but she told me that of the investigators, about 18-20% are females.

Oh, and I also met and spoke with the NOC (National Ops Center) Director of Homeland Security, who was also very super nice and TALL. AND also met and spoke with the Assistant Director of the U.S. Marshall Service, who has a snarky sense of humor.

Who knew?

Now, if this show could find someone as smart and sharp as the real life Deputy Director, then I'd be on board for another Madam Director on this show.

Just sayin'.

• Love 2

Welcome, all, to the NCIS Small Talk thread! This topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

So, on this day of TV carnage as cancellations are announced, I feel the need to commiserate, and I spend a lot of time in the NCIS forum.

I'm glad that NCIS and NCIS: NOLA are both safe.  However, I'm the most sad about losing Forever (ABC) and Battle Creek (CBS).

Anyone else sad about losing a particular show?

So, on this day of TV carnage as cancellations are announced, I feel the need to commiserate, and I spend a lot of time in the NCIS forum.

I'm glad that NCIS and NCIS: NOLA are both safe.  However, I'm the most sad about losing Forever (ABC) and Battle Creek (CBS).

Anyone else sad about losing a particular show?

I'm kind of sad about Battle Creek. I think it could have been a really interesting show.

Battle Creek the city, is 15 minutes from my house. We haven't kept up on the show this year past the pilot but are going to during summer. Bummer about it being canceled.

I hope Hawaii Five-O makes the cut, but as long at the 3 NCISes are good, I'm good.

As is often the case, Battle Creek's pilot is niot representative of the series.  I thought it got better as it went on and was really beginning to round itself into an enjoyable show.  I think NCIS: NOLA took the same path.  Unfortunately, I think NOLA did it faster than Battle Creek did.

Just wanted to share a little nugget that shows that Mark Harmon, in real life, is a totally stand-up guy!  So anyway, i have nine-year-old twin god-daughters who have recently really gotten in to NCIS.  That's courtesy of their grandmother rather than me, but I picked them up from camp a couple of weeks ago, and asked them which TV show they missed most when they were unplugged, and they both said NCIS!  So then we bonded over that, and one of them specifically mentioned the awesomeness of the episode where Kate gets shot in the head on the roof, with which I agreed completely!  So anyways, two nine-year-old newly minted superfans!

Anyway, last week they were with one of their dads (yes, it's that kind of family :) at a local outside mall eating area, and who should be sitting at, literally, the next table, but Mark Harmon!  Apparently, they both got really excited, and one of them got so overwhelmed that she had to go check out the candy store rather than approach him.  My other god-daughter, though, actually approached him and asked if he was on NCIS.  He very cordially said to her.  "Yes, I am.  My name is Mark.  What's your name?"  She introduced herself, and he shook her hand.  Absolutely made her week!  Her Dad said she assured him she would never wash that hand again!

Living in LA, you run into celebs from time to time, and they can react like total creeps to the most innocent encounter.  So it really warmed my heart that he was genuinely nice to a little girl who was absolutely thrilled to see him in the flesh.

• Love 4

What a great story!  I'd like to think that as an adult I'd behave myself as nicely as your nine year old g-d daughter did in front of someone famous but in reality fear I'd scream loud enough to shatter glass if I ever met, say, Paul McCartney.

• Love 3

I would have raced the other twin to the candy store, because I'm hideously awkward as a fangirl, but it's sweet that he was nice to the one who did work up the nerve.

• Love 1
(edited)
He very cordially said to her.  "Yes, I am.  My name is Mark.  What's your name?"  She introduced herself, and he shook her hand.  Absolutely made her week!  Her Dad said she assured him she would never wash that hand again!

This is my favorite part.  "My name is Mark.  What's your name?"  First-name only.  That's how you talk to a nine-year old who I'm sure that Mark knew was nervous.  Good for Mark and yay for your god-daughter!

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1

Yeah, Ohmo, I just loved the way he responded.  I don't think she would have been able to carry out a conversation with him, because she was pretty starstruck (though she did better than I would have!  I get completely tongue-tied when I run across celebs I admire).  It was just a perfect little encounter that I'm sure she will always remember.  It didn't cost him a thing to be charming, but you'd be surprised how many LA celebs who are a lot less rich, successful and "important" than Mark Harmon can be total douchebags when people dare to approach them.

• Love 1
(edited)

Great story! I love Mark Harmon, so it's nice to hear that he's actually a genuine, nice guy. What an awesome experience for your god-daughter! I would have run away with the other twin, rather than make a blathering fool of myself. =)

Edited by catray

That was such a great story! I don't know that I've ever heard anything bad about him.

I just got my Mark Harmon fix by watching Summer School on Amazon Video. Those blue eyes... that smile... So much fun!

• Love 2

Years after The Unit featuring the more secretive Delta Force. I can see them now making a show about a SEAL unit making a movie

I just notice the promo monkey giving the NCIS is the most watched drama in the world line. I remember when CSI Miami got that treatment before it was the first to drop. But then with the Gibbs character along with his friend agent Fornell around mandatory retirement age they might drop just to keep some truthfulness in storytelling. I don't know how old Agent Pride in New Orleans is supposed to be but if Scott Bakula was an agent he would be at mandatory retirement himself. Major Crimes has a great storytelling advantage in geezer law enforcement since LAPD doesn't have mandatory retirement like the Fed's do.

Years after The Unit featuring the more secretive Delta Force. I can see them now making a show about a SEAL unit making a movie

I'd take a TV movie for The Unit.  I miss that show and thought it was perfectly paired with NCIS when the two aired on Tuesdays.

It will be interesting to see if the show succeeds.  Its really difficult for someone so identfied with one role to jump right into another series.  

Difficult, but it's been done before - David Boreanaz comes to mind - he played Angel for ~8 seasons on Buffy and then Angel, and then almost immediately went to play Booth on Bones, which he has done for 11 years.

I've been binge watching NCIS from the beginning and I've noticed that McGee's voice sounds strange at the beginning of season 9.  It sounds soft, or a little horse.  I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed or knows why this is?

My favorite young couple just announced they're  having a baby in 2017.  Is there a clip or screen-shot I could share/send them from the NCIS episode where Palmer discovers his wife is expecting?  I think they would get a kick out of seeing it. Thanks!

4 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Puffy shirt.  Pleated pants.  And he's still smokin' hot!  Yum!

3 hours ago, betsyboo said:

right!?!?!?!? I chortled aloud at the oh-so-casual wheat stalk. HAAAAAAAAA!

My favorite of the Mark Harmon Coors commercial is the one where he's in jeans, flannel shirt, and walking around some mountains or some such.  Talk aboot HAWT!!!!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I'm a beer girl but unfortunately even a photo that gorgeous is not enough to get me to drink Coors.

Still, damn...

I am with you, @MyAimIsTrue, but I have to tell you, if you're ever in Colorado, try their Colorado Native. I really, really liked it. They only sell it in CO.

This must be the commercial from the still shot:

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

My favorite of the Mark Harmon Coors commercial is the one where he's in jeans, flannel shirt, and walking around some mountains or some such.  Talk aboot HAWT!!!!

The denim tux! I can't handle it!! HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

UM. This is my favorite. Woodworking!!!!

• Love 1

Took a break from doing the laundry, turned on my TV,  started channel surfing & happily discovered Movieplex is running that 1987 cult classic "Summer School." Even though I'm ten years older than you, Betsy, Young MH is so hot in this movie.......my laundry can wait!

• Love 4

Just another comment on the young Mark Harmon.  Many years ago there was a mini series on tv called Centennial. Mark Harmon played a calvary officer.  I still swoon (and I am 66) at the thought of a young Mark Harmon in a calvary uniform on a horse.  I cannot find a good picture on google but it was a sight to behold.

Edited by abbey
spelling
  • Love 3

Abbey, Centennial is one of my all-time favorite TV mini-series, which  Movieplex  sometimes airs during their Made-For-TV miniseries marathons. And by googling "Mark Harmon as Capt John McIntosh in Centennial," I found a link to a Pinterest page showing two very "swoonable" photos of young Mark Harmon playing that character.  

• Love 1
On 3/22/2017 at 0:29 PM, honeydo7 said:

Took a break from doing the laundry, turned on my TV,  started channel surfing & happily discovered Movieplex is running that 1987 cult classic "Summer School." Even though I'm ten years older than you, Betsy, Young MH is so hot in this movie.......my laundry can wait!

LOVED this movie!! all those actors look so young!

• Love 1

I didn't realize they had taken "Emergency" off of Netflix - I was going to tell you to look for an episode from 1975 featuring Mark Harmon.  It was for a spin off called 905-Wild where he played an animal rescue officer. 

If you have ESPN classic, they were running the show "Battle of the Network Stars" where you can see Mark Harmon in a Speedo.  With his build, he could wear one!

Sad thing is, I can remember watching this stuff when I was a kid.  Amazing how you only remember the important stuff;)

• Love 3

I ❤️??????❤️ Mark Harmon on Battle of the Network Stars and yelled and screamed cheered whenever he was up and won!???

But I first saw him on that short-lived show, 240-Robert. All I can tell you is that I think he was a helicopter cop!?

• Love 1

One of our  odd, non-digital, cable channels aired an old movie entitled "Harmon of Michigan," I tuned in because of the title, to discover it was the story of Tom Harmon's ( MH's father, playing himself) college football playing years & later coaching career.  Who Knew?

On 26/03/2017 at 1:15 AM, scorpio1031 said:

I didn't realize they had taken "Emergency" off of Netflix - I was going to tell you to look for an episode from 1975 featuring Mark Harmon.  It was for a spin off called 905-Wild where he played an animal rescue officer. 

• Love 1