Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E17: Live Results 3

• Start Topic

I'm surprised that the eye candy factor didn't elevate Malevo above the 6th-8th place range. IMO parts of their act last night felt sluggish and as others commented.....the sound people on AGT really didn't do them any favors.

Even still, I was pretty sure the twitter save would go their way and that Linkin Bridge (in the name of more musical diversity among the deluge of musical act semifinalists) was going to get the nod from the judges (not America) over Ronnie.

Mildly surprised that Blake the magician knocked out the Juggle Duo. Not that their act was any great shakes......IMO it just was more memorable than his by their using Howie, Mel and Heidi in the space suits.

Did they name 12 acts for next week? If they did, that means we'll get a WC the following week. Julia might be in the mix for that....can't really think of anyone else from tonight's episode who would factor in that decision...

• Love 1

Julia was probably my favorite comic that's ever been on this show. Much more entertaining and creative than a nerdy guy making jokes about being a nerdy guy, a stutterer making jokes about being a stutterer, or other predicable comedians who have made it to the finals.

For about the hundredth time I've said this, I wish there was a separate AGT for kids, because it's so unfair that they get judged by completely different  criteria. Grace may be talented for her age, but in both her performances now she has not been able to keep a consistent tempo. That's such a basic thing, and if an adult struggled with that there's no way they wouldn't be criticized. But Grace is young and adorable, so she gets a pass. (Not to mention that Simon has a vested interest in promoting her as the next Taylor Swift).

The kid magician and his sister really grate on me. The trick was nothing special, but again, graded on a curve. Does anyone think for a second that their magician father didn't totally design and choreograph that trick, as well as write all their lines?  It would be more honest if he came on stage and presented himself as part of the act. But then they wouldn't get the "aren't they cute" vote. (I also confess to hating anyone would name their kids Kaden and Brooklyn.)

Sorry Ronnie didn't make it through, because she's that rare singer on AGT who doesn't oversing.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

As much as many of us bemoan the kiddies, Ameriker decides it wants them.  Right, Uncle Nigel?

As annoyed as I was that Malevo was placed in jeopardy, I knew instantly that they were going through no matter what.  Simon would see to it.

The thing I most anticipate is the change in tone for some of these acts which heretofore have been tongue-bathed.  The producers will be dictating the exact nature of their acts and, like with the eternal Prince P., renege on certain assurances previously given.  Soooo much totally depends on grouping.  Which magicians go against the other ones?  Lord knows more than one will not be allowed out of each semi.  Which novelties, like Malevo, will face each other?

Where's Randy Jackson when you need him?

• Love 1

Well that was just depressing to watch...We've had injustice done to deserving acts in the past and some completely infuriating decisions (Marty Brown, anyone?) have taken place, but no other results show has made me feel like it was out to annoy me at EVERY single last turn like this one...the ONLY saving grace was seeing Malevo winning the Dunkin Save, but them ending up there in the first place unfortunately confirms my initial gut feeling that they would be underappreciated by the viewers.

I could spend the next 15 paragraphs ranting about how a professional like Julia Scotti was sent home, when people like Gary Vider have made the top 10 and Tom Cotter nearly WON a few seasons back. WHO IS SUPPOSED TO END SECOND NOW, AMERICA? WHO I ASK YOU? I could also go on about how America's obsession with magicians and cute kids means a 3 year old pulling a rabbit out of a top hat would probably get a spot in the final. I COULD do all of this, but looking at MIchael Phelps's bored face the entire episode bummed me out so much I just can't be bothered. At least we got a fun and original segment with Simon ranking the judHAHAHAHA no, I'm just kidding it was the EXACT same routine he's already done on Britain's Got Talent, even reusing the criterias. I guess it fit the theme of the episode with RECYCLED percussion being in it..EH...EH? I'm starting to sound like Howie...I...I need to stop watching this show. 

Well, we have finally reached the semi's and this is often when things get REALLY frustrating so I'm walking into it with cold shivers running down my back, but even if Edgar ends up winning the season, there are too many acts I love still left in the contest (Viktor Kee, Tape Face, Steven Brundage, Clairvoyants, Malevo etc) for me to consider it as one of the worst, but it's certainly going to be an interesting (and terrifying) battle between variety acts I adore and a load of singers.

If I had to make prediction on the finalists, Grace and Brian seem like the only 2 singers 100% certain to make it through, tons more could easily make it (Calista, Jayna, Laura, Musicality, Edgar) but none are safe picks and can easily be switched with other acts. In terms of variety, barring complete disasters Tape Face, Clairvoyants, Steven Brundage and Jon Dorenbos seem about as safe as they could possibly be, all have proven their worth and have a well established fan base. That just leaves 4 spots open and those are the 4 that will be interesting/frustrating to witness.

With the line-up known (for the most part) for next week, I'll try to rank them based on how much I like them. 

11. Musicality - The episode is absolutely loaded with singing acts so you have to imagine it's going to be very difficult to get through, but we've underestimated them before and anything could happen. That being said, they are by far the least interesting act in this entire group.

10. Edgar - I gave them props for improving, but I think the ceiling has been reached and while the simple "good old Christian values" image will appeal to some, I'm not sold on it.

9. Laura Bretan - My earmuffs are ready, BRING IT ON.

8. Sal Valentinetti - My guess is he's going back to old standards and I'm a sucker for them so I can't be too harsh on the guy.

7. Deadly Games - They impressed me in the quarter-finals so I do look forward to seeing them again, but I can't imagine anything but disappointment being the end result as of right now.

6. Lori Mae Hernandez - I've liked her from the very beginning and hope she does well, but as Julia proved the only way to make it through as a comedian on this show is to be an awkward/cute looking young guy.

5. Jon Dorenbos - Out of the remaining 4 magicians, the 2 I like less are both in this episode, but I will always take even a medioce trick presented well over a dull and forgettable music act (Musicality, Edgar)

4. Blake Vogt - The only reason I have Blake above Jon is because I think his skill level is just higher and I know we haven't seen the best of him yet, so I'm hopeful he'll bring out the big guns next round...

3. Grace VanderWaal - I'm not one to go along with hype, but I enjoy listening to Grace and as long as she continues her current path, she should be pretty safe (please don't do a one direction song).

2. Malevo - I still love these guys, they are just FUN to watch and I imagine seeing them live is like getting an adrenaline shot straight to your vein, but they need to rethink things and bring back the musical elements, just tap dancing and pretending to play the drums some more will NOT impress people a 4th time.

1.Tape Face - Could there be anyone else? I know enough of his routines based on various youtube videos that I'm excited and hopeful he'll do great next round, but there's always that lingering sense of fear...

Just looking at the line-up, the obvious ones to go through are Tape Face, Grace and Jon...the last 2 spots will probably be taken up by Laura and Blake if he can deliver. Sal also has a small chance of slipping by and we can't underestimate Edgar or Musicality either...It's going to be interesting.

• Love 4

Well that was just depressing to watch...

Thanks--I was looking for the word to describe it.

The Dunkin' Save choices were kind of like those jokes about "Hitler, Mussolini, and (political person you don't like) are in a lifeboat, who do you save?"  Except I don't wish any of the acts harm, and I'm glad Malevo went through.  

I wondered if the kid votes would split--from this week, apparently not--though one act with a kid was sent home.

Passing Zone was caught up in the idea that juggling people was clever--it kind of is, but it doesn't show their talent as well.  It didn't look as hard as it was (as an alternate example, Penn Jillette juggled broken bottles, which is one of those "if you're good enough to do it, you're smart enough not to" situations*, but also LOOKED hard and dangerous.)   They're better technical jugglers than that trick would show.  I wonder if they (and Julia) were caught up by having another bit that they were saving for the following rounds, and under-estimated how this week would go.  I wish them all well, even so.  Both acts seemed like something I'd expect to see in Vegas (Passing Zone could do a family-friendly version for Branson, in a combined show with Edgar and the young magicians.)

* Unless you have your own TV show, in which case, you can explain to your insurance people why this isn't a terrible idea.  If you're not sure, remember that you're literally playing with broken glass.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, marketdoctor said:

Passing Zone was caught up in the idea that juggling people was clever--it kind of is, but it doesn't show their talent as well.  I wonder if they (and Julia) were caught up by having another bit that they were saving for the following rounds, and under-estimated how this week would go. 

It seems like they got caught up in the "Next time have Heidi, Mel B and Howie in your act" game they were playing with Simon and they didn't have anything besides this that utilized 3 people. I'm guessing the idea was to then use Simon in the semi-finals and do something extra dangerous with him, far worse than with all the other judges (they have videos on youtube that hint what it could have been...). Set-up and pay-off, but you are not given ANY leeway  on this show as you are constantly competing with others and so they ended up being cut before the culmination...which is incredibly frustrating, but not all that surprising.

• Love 3

I'm still surprised that the allure of getting Simon up there didn't get more votes for Passing Zone by America.  I saw them live once and greatly enjoyed it.  I am sad that they are eliminated.  Is there another chance (another wildcard or something) for them to get back on?

• Love 3

Passing Zone "juggling" the judges looked like it was fun for the judges, but I was bored watching it. It's like they forget that at this point they need to entertain the voting public and not the judges.

7 hours ago, Frankenstein123 said:

I could also go on about how America's obsession with magicians and cute kids means a 3 year old pulling a rabbit out of a top hat would probably get a spot in the final.

Ha. Very well said. The gap between the kids and a pro like Blake Vogt was massive, but I suspect that the kids actually got more of Amerika's votes. Not that I think they have any chance of winning but that very basic trick they did would get them laughed out of Vegas. (Where I don't think people who pay real money for a show are going to be so lenient over the fact that they're kids).

By my count, a full half of the remaining acts are singers (or singing groups). Way too high a percentage in my book. I fear that it's inevitable we're heading for two out of three finalists (Grace, Brian) being singers.

Ronnee Martin got grief for boring song choice, but "You've Got a Friend" is a song I've only heard 8,000 times on singing competition shows. But if you're a judges' pet like Edgar, you can do anything you want. To me they're a nice coffee shop act, but "a million dollar act?" Hardly. (not to mention, where would they sing in Vegas?)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

I was bummed to see Malevo in the Dunkin' Save and voted for them immediately. It makes me nervous for their prospects going forward. Usually acts that end up in that spot don't get much farther in the next round. And while I wasn't overly impressed with either act, I too would have chosen Linkin' Bridge over Ronee Martin. But Simon likes her so maybe she'll get a record deal out of this whole thing anyway.

Did anyone else notice that when Alla and Daniel Navikov were called up for elimination, Howie turned his chair away from them? Was he embarrassed about how he acted last night? Still annoyed that they have the audacity to exist? Either way, what an asshole.

Sorry about The Passing Zone. I liked them and can really see them putting together an hour-long act. Unfortunately, as others have said, the game they were playing regarding adding more judges to the act was what probably screwed them. Hopefully they get brought back as a wild card. I really want to see what they'd do with Simon.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

Did anyone else notice that when Alla and Daniel Navikov were called up for elimination, Howie turned his chair away from them? Was he embarrassed about how he acted last night? Still annoyed that they have the audacity to exist? Either way, what an asshole.

Howie seemed legitimately angry the past two nights. I don't know what his problem was. Even in the little Results show package where Simon was judging them (which was really weird and out of place, by the way), Howie looked really mad and just laughed when it was appropriate. I don't know if it was something personal or not. He was acting like an even more temperamental version of Simon.  

Also he does have it weirdly out for those two. I have no clue why.

Edited by oinkers12
  • Love 3

I think we have to get over the notion that winning AGT is an important outcome. 

EVERY ACT that has appeared on the live shows, and many that got eliminated early is already a WINNER.

Remember that the "prize" for winning is really a crap prize.  The prize money (spread over 40 years) comes out to about $25,000/year and less if a group has to split it, and the "Los Vegas Headliner" doesn't amount to much either since the Vegas show really features most of the top ten or twelve acts (entirely producers' choice) with the "winner" just one of the performers, although featured on posters/theater marquee, etc.  And the Vegas show is ONLY three performances.  So big whoop!

The reason I say that EVERY act is a winner is because win or lose, each act has performed on a nationally televised program and earned national recognition.  This can be career magic for an act that is heretofore only locally known, or completely unknown.

Talent scouts and agents for Vegas, which has HUNDREDS of job openings for performers are now aware of each act and many go on to performance careers enhanced by their national exposure.

Even performers at local comedy clubs or on the hotel/cruise ship circuit can advertise their show with "As featured on America's Got Talent".  That kind of advertising sells tickets.

So when I wonder about some poor performer who got "screwed" or passed over for some kid, I just remember that Simon Cowell and his production company aren't really looking for the best act, their only goal is to produce an entertaining format for a televised variety show. 

So now we move to the semi-finals and more good acts will be eliminated but very few actually "Go Home".  Nope, they will just go back to the professional performing they were doing before AGT, only now with more recognition (and more money).

• Love 6

Regarding Malevo, do we know for sure that Malevo were in the bottom three?  I haven't seen the AGT contestant contract, but I know for a fact that there is a clause in the Idol contract which states that the producers have the right to choose the winner if they don't agree with the voting outcome.  Sounds like the electoral college.  Anyway, the producers could be monkeying with the results -  bottom line.

2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Regarding Malevo, do we know for sure that Malevo were in the bottom three?  I haven't seen the AGT contestant contract, but I know for a fact that there is a clause in the Idol contract which states that the producers have the right to choose the winner if they don't agree with the voting outcome.  Sounds like the electoral college.  Anyway, the producers could be monkeying with the results -  bottom line.

Malevo was in the 6-8 area.  I've never heard of the Idol clause.  Where did you get that from?

And it's a conspiracy theory to state producers are monkeying the results with zero evidence.  This and Idol make millions of dollars and the repercussions to being found out doing something would cost them millions.  They aren't going to make any more money based upon who gets through, so no reason to do it. 

If that was true, Tamyra, Daughtery and Melinda would have been put through to make more interesting finales on Idol.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I was wondering about that too. I've never read the fine print for the show though, but I wouldn't doubt that they would resort to similar manipulation that American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, and other reality competition shows use to try to make it seem like someone was in the bottom when they really weren't to get their fans to vote for them more. 

6 hours ago, Jordan27 said:

Malevo was in the 6-8 area.  I've never heard of the Idol clause.  Where did you get that from?

And it's a conspiracy theory to state producers are monkeying the results with zero evidence.  This and Idol make millions of dollars and the repercussions to being found out doing something would cost them millions.  They aren't going to make any more money based upon who gets through, so no reason to do it. 

If that was true, Tamyra, Daughtery and Melinda would have been put through to make more interesting finales on Idol.

Actually American Idol did have it in their fine print that they could throw out votes if they wanted to, or at least they did early on. I stopped watching around season 7, and then watched the last season, and I didn't read anything in the Grassy Knoll about that rule changing.

It was because early on during season one some fans were using power dialing hardware and software, so to combat any effect they would have on voting, they created a clause where they could throw out any votes that were deemed suspicious. Or if I put on my tinfoil hat, perhaps there never outside manipulation that happened, but the producers just wanted a way to create a loophole where they could throw out votes. I don't think that it was ever used, or if it was, it probably didn't affect things that much. For instance, I only heard one rumor about it being used back in season 3 when George Huff and Jasmine Trias were up for elimination. The rumor is that Huff actually had a very slim margin victory over Trias, but Simon Fuller wanted an all female finale, so they used the clause.  I doubt it happened because Huff seemed to peak early on, and Gloria Estefan and Donna Summer theme nights didn't help him any at the end either, so it's not too hard to believe that Trias's fanbase would have carried her to the finale. Anyhow, I don't think that AI would ever go so far to pick their own winner and disregard voting altogether, but I could see why they had that clause to protect themselves. 

Just want to stick up for Idol here. I can totally believe that they manipulated the votes in the early seasons because of all the power voting, but I have to believe that once they redid the voting procedures in the later seasons, they would not have to invoke that clause. At least that is what I choose to believe in my naive little bubble. :)

So I'm at the hairdresser today and people are actually talking about "that 12-year-old girl on America's Got Talent" and how amazing she is. So yeah, I guess we may as well declare her the winner already. It's just personal preference but I just cannot stand her cracky, squeaky, affected style of singing. I thought that style went out awhile ago - nowadays I hear it mostly on commercials. But even though that style may have run its course, I guess when that voice is coming out of a 12-year-old it's a whole new thing. I do think it's very impressive that she writes her own songs, and her song this week sounded pretty good. But oh, that voice. Like nails on a chalkboard to me. Like I said, it's personal preference. But please, Simon, stop calling her the next Taylor Swift. Except for starting out young and writing their own songs, I don't see the comparison. And Taylor may not have the most amazing voice in the world but at least she sings like a real person. 

I still love Brian Crum. Broadway or not, sob story or not ... I could listen to him all day. And he sings with such passion. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

So I'm at the hairdresser today and people are actually talking about "that 12-year-old girl on America's Got Talent" and how amazing she is.

I'd suggest they pull up clips of the younger contestants on The Voice for comparison, but if they're that impressed with Grace, I'm not sure they could take it. In fairness, none have been quite her age, but the gulf in talent is too enormous to believe she's going to be crossing it that quickly, much less coming near a Taylor Swift (or any other recognizable name).

• Love 2

I was wondering about that too. I've never read the fine print for the show though, but I wouldn't doubt that they would resort to similar manipulation that American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, and other reality competition shows use to try to make it seem like someone was in the bottom when they really weren't to get their fans to vote for them more. 

AI never did that.  That is a conspiracy with no evidence.  No reason for them to do it.  What do they care who is in the bottom?  They make millions no matter who won.

• Love 1

Actually American Idol did have it in their fine print that they could throw out votes if they wanted to, or at least they did early on. I stopped watching around season 7, and then watched the last season, and I didn't read anything in the Grassy Knoll about that rule changing.

It was because early on during season one some fans were using power dialing hardware and software, so to combat any effect they would have on voting, they created a clause where they could throw out any votes that were deemed suspicious. Or if I put on my tinfoil hat, perhaps there never outside manipulation that happened,

[/quote]  Suspicious voting patterns are a lot different than conspiring to fix a voting conclusion.  That is a conspiracy theory made up on the internet and has no basis in fact.

Edited by Jordan27
4 minutes ago, Jordan27 said:

It was because early on during season one some fans were using power dialing hardware and software, so to combat any effect they would have on voting, they created a clause where they could throw out any votes that were deemed suspicious. Or if I put on my tinfoil hat, perhaps there never outside manipulation that happened,

Suspicious voting patterns are a lot different than conspiring to fix a voting conclusion.  That is a conspiracy theory made up on the internet and has no basis in fact.

Julia didn't get through? What a crock.

And instead a stupid little kid magician who isn't even all that good got through. And the other magician, who did the SAME trick we've seen so many times on this show (where we get an apparent act of mentalism or a card force, and then something appearing written on a prop up on the stage). 

I'm okay with the Family Band I guess.  And the Phil Collins cover guy was the least bad of the remaining singers.  The little 12 year old girl and her all too cute original songs?  Um.  No.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who's always surprised when everyone talks about how this is the best season ever?

I like Grace, I really do, but the most impressive thing to me is that she writes her songs. The ukulele bores me and her singing is not that great. That said, I'd prefer her to opera singer girl.

Guess I don't really care who wins. I'm tired of the kids, though. I know someone said they tried to do a children's version and I guess it didn't fly or go over or what have you, but they definitely get graded on a curve. I'm one of those crotchety old people who doesn't necessarily think children are cute just because they're little.

• Love 7

I would not be surprised that the show's producers exaggerated about her writing her own songs. I just don't like the special treatment these kids are getting. I think that the producers think that America will like a kid to win and might not mind if they're given special treatment.

Edited by rr2911
mistake
  • Love 1

The show definitely exaggerates and leaves out details, but Grace Vanderwaal's YouTube channel identified her songs as original songs written by her before she auditioned. So the show is not misrepresenting.

I believe the songs are hers. Talented teens have been known to exist, so it's not much of a stretch IMHO that she's one of them. I think her voice is a little unpolished, but it reminds me of Jewel. With some vocal training, I think she'll be amazing. She's got a beautiful, interesting quality.

• Love 4

Grace's voice reminds me of Joanna Newsom.  Who blew out her voice singing like that, and after a bout with busted vocal nodes had to take a lot of time off, get vocal training and dial it back in order to continue to have a career singing.

Very interesting, Totale. It is obvious that Grace is imitating that strained, crackly style of singing and that can't possibly be good for her vocal cords, especially because she is so young and still growing. 

10 hours ago, Jordan27 said:

What's all the complaints about the kid magicians getting help from their father?  You think Copperfield designs and builds all his tricks.  He actually has a panel of experts that help him.

And one of those people who has helped Copperfield is none other than Blake Vogt :-)

• Love 2