Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Picture It. PTer. Today.

• Start Topic

We've talked about their children over the years and I've got Kate's second episode on right now so she gets my focus. Of the kids she wasn't bad but I don't get why she acts so baffled when Dorothy doesn't hop to forgive and forget when  Dennis apologizes.

Kate and Dennis have one conversation and she suddenly forgives him? They couldn't have had this talk back home? I can assume she left him a note saying where she was going but she found out about the affair somehow yet Dennis was only able to do his magical apology when they were in Miami? Ok, sure, maybe the time in between finding out and flying to her parents allowed Kate to mellow enough to be open to listening to Dennis and realize he was still her forever guy similar to the advice Sophia gave Dorothy years ago. 

Even when I take all of this into account I still don't get Kate's surprise at Dorothy not jumping to re-accept Dennis into the family. Kate knows her father cheated on and dumped her mom for a woman not much older than her yet we see zero empathy or understanding with regard to Dorothy during the episode. Instead of the combative "how dare you not accept me forgiving him?" a softer and more sympathetic approach could have worked. I don't know maybe Kate wasn't fully sure if forgiving him was the right choice and deflected by acting like Dorothy had done something wrong.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

We've talked about their children over the years and I've got Kate's second episode on right now so she gets my focus. Of the kids she wasn't bad but I don't get why she acts so baffled when Dorothy doesn't hop to forgive and forget when  Dennis apologizes.

Kate and Dennis have one conversation and she suddenly forgives him? They couldn't have had this talk back home? I can assume she left him a note saying where she was going but she found out about the affair somehow yet Dennis was only able to do his magical apology when they were in Miami? Ok, sure, maybe the time in between finding out and flying to her parents allowed Kate to mellow enough to be open to listening to Dennis and realize he was still her forever guy similar to the advice Sophia gave Dorothy years ago. 

Even when I take all of this into account I still don't get Kate's surprise at Dorothy not jumping to re-accept Dennis into the family. Kate knows her father cheated on and dumped her mom for a woman not much older than her yet we see zero empathy or understanding with regard to Dorothy during the episode. Instead of the combative "how dare you not accept me forgiving him?" a softer and more sympathetic approach could have worked. I don't know maybe Kate wasn't fully sure if forgiving him was the right choice and deflected by acting like Dorothy had done something wrong.

I agree. I don't know if Kate should have forgiven her husband but she knows exactly why her mother isn't forgiving him. It shouldn't be a surprise. 

For the same reason she invited Stan to her wedding even though Dorothy had misgivings, she either doesn't care or was in denial about her parent's divorce (because they should just get over it); which is harsher in hindsight since the episode implied that Dorothy's divorce was recent enough that she was still processing the hurt and betrayal at the time as we saw with her verbal smackdown on Stan later - I think Dorothy composed herself well considering.

The same reason Sophia holds Dorothy's divorce over her head constantly despite Sophia insisting that they marry anyway knowing what a lowlife he was (because Dorothy just needs to get over it).

The same reason the responsibility always falls on Dorothy to be the bigger person when Michael or Kate come crying when they know Stan is worthless - because she should just get over it.

Ironic how her kids always go to HER first sooner than Stan but just expect her to ignore the past when she tries to be honest with them based upon her own experiences. They inherited Stan's lack of empathy that's for sure.

Edited by Eri
  • Like 1

Saw the Bridget and Michael episode today and I'm still fascinated how the show presents Dorothy as being slightly more awful than Rose in their fight. It's only for that scene as they quickly make up but both women were equally awful to each other and about their kids. Dorothy calling Bridget a tramp was uncalled for but so was Rose basically calling Michael a rapist.

Also, no, Bridget and Michael shouldn't have had sex in Blanche's bed (they have cheap motels in Miami kids) but the reactions were way out of proportion to the event. Dorothy's "you ungrateful brat how could you do this to me?", Sophia wearing full mourning attire, and the aforementioned nasty comments were all way over the top in response to consenting adults having a one night stand. All four women had multiple sexual encounters and/or relationships and talked about sex in pretty much every episode so it's not like they were a bunch of nuns or something. I get these are their kids and grandson so there's going to be different standards than if they were siblings or neighbors but still. Blanche was the only one who had any perspective of the situation while everyone else went overboard in their overreactions. To their credit Dorothy and Rose listen to her and I know they went over the top to set up the women having the necessary talks to their kids by episode's end but it still stands out when I watch.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Saw the Bridget and Michael episode today and I'm still fascinated how the show presents Dorothy as being slightly more awful than Rose in their fight. It's only for that scene as they quickly make up but both women were equally awful to each other and about their kids. Dorothy calling Bridget a tramp was uncalled for but so was Rose basically calling Michael a rapist.

Also, no, Bridget and Michael shouldn't have had sex in Blanche's bed (they have cheap motels in Miami kids) but the reactions were way out of proportion to the event. Dorothy's "you ungrateful brat how could you do this to me?", Sophia wearing full mourning attire, and the aforementioned nasty comments were all way over the top in response to consenting adults having a one night stand. All four women had multiple sexual encounters and/or relationships and talked about sex in pretty much every episode so it's not like they were a bunch of nuns or something. I get these are their kids and grandson so there's going to be different standards than if they were siblings or neighbors but still. Blanche was the only one who had any perspective of the situation while everyone else went overboard in their overreactions. To their credit Dorothy and Rose listen to her and I know they went over the top to set up the women having the necessary talks to their kids by episode's end but it still stands out when I watch.

I agree they were all over the top except for Blanche. It was stupid for Michael and Bridget to have sex in her bed but that's it. 

It was rude (good gods, kids, get a damn hotel room), but Blanche had cause to be the most aggravated by it and was instead the least, so everyone else needed to calm down.

And Dorothy may have gone vicious in response, but Rose started it.  Right off the bat, she declares Michael seduced Bridget, and when Dorothy says he wouldn't have done that as Bridget isn't his type, Rose says "Of course she isn't, she's too good for him."  Blanche tries to deescalate, but she just keeps on.  When Dorothy responds to "He doesn't even have a job" by saying "My son is an artist" Rose comes back with "That's a nice way of saying he's a loser".  Oh, hell no.

"My son is not a loser, he happens to be very talented" gets met with "Yeah, at taking advantage of poor young girls".  Only then does Dorothy say "Face it, Rose, your daughter moves faster than Marcus Allen".  And, yeah - she does.  At this point Dorothy hasn't even said there's anything wrong with that, just that Rose needs to accept that Bridget isn't the little goody two-shoes she thinks of her as, some naive innocent who would have to have been seduced by Michael, rather than choosing to have sex with someone she just met the same as Michael did.  Only once she calls her a tramp does she cross the line Rose leapt over five seconds into the conversation.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Only once she calls her a tramp does she cross the line Rose leapt over five seconds into the conversation.

And Rose gets the parting shot by saying Dorothy has never said anything so vicious, she doesn't know if she'll ever speak to her again, and then storms out of the room. I agree Dorothy was really just reacting to Rose's hostility, and calling Bridget a tramp wasn't ok, but everything Rose said about Michael was worse yet it's Rose who is the most outraged? Maybe it was the worst thing Rose had ever heard in her Michael Landon led life but it wasn't the worst thing said in that room so she was automatically wrong. Dorothy should have uttered the vicious line and stormed off.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Blanche had cause to be the most aggravated by it and was instead the least

She was a good sport about it wasn't she? I would have been "wash my bedding and buy me a new mattress STAT!" and she just shrugged it off and focused on giving the others perspective.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

And Rose gets the parting shot by saying Dorothy has never said anything so vicious, she doesn't know if she'll ever speak to her again, and then storms out of the room. I agree Dorothy was really just reacting to Rose's hostility, and calling Bridget a tramp wasn't ok, but everything Rose said about Michael was worse yet it's Rose who is the most outraged? Maybe it was the worst thing Rose had ever heard in her Michael Landon led life but it wasn't the worst thing said in that room so she was automatically wrong. Dorothy should have uttered the vicious line and stormed off.

Dorothy really should have stormed off after Rose called her son a loser. Dorothy shouldn't have called Bridget a tramp. But Rose started it. She dished it out and couldn't handle it when Dorothy dished it back. Instead she storms off as if she's the injured party. Sorry Rose you both said terrible things and you started it.

• Like 1

I was watching the S4 episode last night where Sophia takes her friend Lillian out of Sunny Pastures, and I somehow just noticed that when she’s pretending to want to admit her mother to the nursing home, she says her name is Sophia “Puh-Hawkins” and it made me think back to Mr. Puh-Feiffer at the funeral home. Nice throwback nod by the writers there. 

I also could not stand the way Blanche and Dorothy treated Rose during Holly’s visit. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I also could not stand the way Blanche and Dorothy treated Rose during Holly’s visit. 

Yeah, I remember that one being discussed at length in the Worst of GG thread, because they are utterly ridiculous in their reactions to her!  There were ample signs Rose was correct in her assessment of Holly's motivations and actions, but the bottom line is that even if Rose was over-reacting, assuming the worst of her sister, Dorothy and Blanche would still have had absolutely no cause to be offended by it, so outraged, and so angry with Rose in response -- that's her sister they've just met, but they act as if she's insulting their children.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I remember that one being discussed at length in the Worst of GG thread, because they are utterly ridiculous in their reactions to her!  There were signs Rose was correct in her assessment of Holly's motivations and actions, but the bottom line is that even if Rose was over-reacting, assuming the worst of her sister, Dorothy and Blanche would still have had absolutely no cause to be offended by it, so outraged, and so angry with Rose in response -- that's her sister they've just met, but they act as if she's insulting their children.

Plus Rose said she was being excluded from what they were doing. Okay, so why didn't they wait for Rose? If they were only listening to Holly, why did they believe her for missing everything? It makes no sense.

I've had the show on in the background all day and the David episode is currently on. The two things I hate most about this story are David constantly referring to George as "my father" and him badgering Blanche about giving him information. 

Regarding the first, David acknowledges how hurt Blanche is so the constant "my fathers" rather than simply calling him George seem like he's purposefully twisting the knife. 

Regarding the second it would have been kinder of David to show up one last time, ask if George had ever been fishing and then we get Blanche choosing to start telling stories as she gives him that picture. I'd rather see them simply bonding over the good memories and qualities of George rather than him being combative about Blanche upset to learn her husband cheated and fathered a secret child.

Thankfully the Mother/Daughter beauty pageant shines so bright. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I've had the show on in the background all day and the David episode is currently on. The two things I hate most about this story are David constantly referring to George as "my father" and him badgering Blanche about giving him information. 

Regarding the first, David acknowledges how hurt Blanche is so the constant "my fathers" rather than simply calling him George seem like he's purposefully twisting the knife. 

Regarding the second it would have been kinder of David to show up one last time, ask if George had ever been fishing and then we get Blanche choosing to start telling stories as she gives him that picture. I'd rather see them simply bonding over the good memories and qualities of George rather than him being combative about Blanche upset to learn her husband cheated and fathered a secret child.

Thankfully the Mother/Daughter beauty pageant shines so bright. 

Poor Blanche had that happen to her twice. David showing up telling her beloved husband cheated on her and had an illegitimate child. Then immediately badgers her instead of giving her time. Her childhood nanny does the same thing showing up to tell her that her beloved father cheated on her mother for years and badgering her over a music box. Again giving her no time. Poor Blanche.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Again giving her no time. Poor Blanche.

Agreed. And we saw Blanche, when given that time, was often (aside from her sisters) able to put things in perspective and accept them. It's a shame neither David nor Viola was written with the same approach as that story Blanche told about Cathy Lee sleeping with Big Daddy in retaliation for being dumped as a childhood friend. That story was hilarious including her summation "my family had a few dollars and I loved them dearly but, when you get down to it, basically they were trash." If David and Viola had been crafted with the same care they probably would have worked better than what we got. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Her childhood nanny does the same thing showing up to tell her that her beloved father cheated on her mother for years and badgering her over a music box.

Mammy Watkins can stuff herself right into that music box; the nerve!  They blow right past the extremely troubling aspects of a wealthy white man fucking his child's Black nanny and present it as a completely consensual affair, an actual love that could have become a legitimate relationship if not confined by the times.  So, as presented, she's a wholly willing participant:

She's Blanche's only friend, then up and disappears on her without a word when Blanche is only ten, leaving this little girl to wonder what she did wrong.  Shows back up all these years later, announces she could use a hug, then launches right into how she heard about auctioning off Big Daddy's stuff and wants the music box (for free, mind you).  After Blanche refuses, she turns back up, starts ordering her around and reveals the affair.  Blanche is later gracious enough to offer forgiveness, and this fucker declares she doesn't need forgiveness and isn't ashamed.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

I never really felt any strong feelings about David, but I get it now. Ha I mean maybe I understand him wanting to know about his sperm donor, besides the fact that he's a cheater and a dead beat father who never acknowledged his existence in his life. I guess at least George had the decency to provide for him financially, which he never knew about until after his mom died. 

Mammy Watkins was the worst. All she cared about was that music box. And I'll bet she only went to Blanche's wedding and that other thing to get a glimpse of Big Daddy and not Blanche. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Finished my latest watch last week and I don’t know what it is about this show, but it never gets old to me even as I have lost interest in other shows over time or even seen full series that I enjoyed but don’t care to rewatch again. 

I feel that the chemistry the cast of “girls” has and their overall comedic timing really helps, or their friendship that just lasts so many years even when they do fight and have other ups and downs. They didn’t just want to cut each other out of their lives at the first sign of a problem and always come around to realize how much they mean to each other. I’ve said this before but it really is nice to watch a show that shows the characters struggling or indicates the societal problems of the 80s, but at the same time, it really was a simpler time when people connected or weren’t so busy and on the run all the time, or couldn’t hide behind media or computers frequently. 

• Like 5

I think why the show still appeals to people is that the humor is rather timeless. Sure, the show itself is dated with the fashions and landlines and newspapers but the jokes are always funny no matter what decade you watch it in. Lines like “better late than… pregnant!” transcend time.

• Like 6

Just wondering if anyone remembers the episode where Sophia claimed that she was a better cook than Mama Celeste - thanks.

On 5/3/2024 at 12:17 AM, Js Nana said:

Just wondering if anyone remembers the episode where Sophia claimed that she was a better cook than Mama Celeste - thanks.

I think Sophia claimed she was once partners in Sicily with the woman who would go on to become Mama Celeste.  Something about two girls sharing a dream and a pizza recipe or sauce but a boy drove a wedge between them? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure this has been brought up, but I keep forgetting to ask and I’m too lazy to read all past posts.  In the episode where Stan and Dorothy pretend to still be married when Angelo visits, why is Blanche carrying her bra with her change of clothes?  I mean, do nun habits come with built in cups?  TIA!

It’s almost July and those damn Christmas movies nonstop.  I’m still mad that Reba took the Girl’s spot in the am.  DVR all you can or break out your DVD’s.

I just watched when Betty White received a lifetime award…she was 88 at the time I believe.  Sandra Bullock presents the award and the banter between them is awesome.  

• Like 2
On 3/30/2024 at 8:50 AM, One Tough Cookie said:

I'm devastated, just devastated.

Are you also stunned?

On 10/26/2023 at 4:25 PM, scarynikki12 said:

She was a good sport about it wasn't she? I would have been "wash my bedding and buy me a new mattress STAT!" and she just shrugged it off and focused on giving the others perspective.

Blanche on the sidelines trying to de-escalate things is the best part, because it's like she can tell where Dorothy's going with, "What do you call a woman who sleeps with a guy on the first date?" and trying to stave off what's coming, because she says, "A damn good sport?" It's not only obvious that she's attempting to defuse the situation, but it's also in character for Blanche. She's the one who got caught with the Orkin man, after all.

• Like 2