---------/////---------------

Carrie

Darrin

Kim

Phaedra

Allyssa

Tawny

(edited)

I don't understand Clarence's strategy - at all.  Don't eat?!?!  I thought they would be a strong team but already there is division and Clarence is going off on his own. 

The scene with Darrin and (blond girl) picking at each other's ticks was sweet - in a sick and twisted way that would only be sweet on Naked & Afraid XL!

Is it Ryan (with the big beard) who they show goes missing?  Drama!  Looks like a good season.  I hope it's "good drama" as opposed to the nasty stuff going on last season.

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, suzeecat said:

I don't understand Clarence's strategy - at all.  Don't eat?!?!  I thought they would be a strong team but already there is division and Clarence is going off on his own. 

The scene with Darrin and (blond girl) picking at each other's ticks was sweet - in a sick and twisted way that would only be sweet on Naked & Afraid XL!

Is it Ryan (with the big beard) who they show goes missing?  Drama!  Looks like a good season.  I hope it's "good drama" as opposed to the nasty stuff going on last season.

i think clarence is just in this show to lose weight.  in his first show, he wasn't even trying to get food and did not really attempt to get food or eat since day 3.  his claim to survival fame is surviving gun point robberies from whatever streets he was living on at the time.......the guy is a joke with a great deal of luck. 

• Love 3

"Clarence. It rhymes with parents."  Okay. Got it.  

I'm confused because I also watched the second episode last night (it followed right after the first one) and I'm not sure if it I can comment on it. I'm having trouble separating out what happened in each, especially since there was a lot of repetition.  In any event, and I don't think this is a spoiler, I laughed at the subtitle saying the producers chose the 12 people whom they thought could actually survive the 40 days. It was like they knew the audience would question some of the choices......for good reason!

Does anyone else think that members of the camera crew are armed with rifles so the contestants aren't really in any danger from lions, elephants, hippos, or Jaguars ect.  

If that's the case, I'd rather be near the lakes for better water, and greater opportunities to catch/ kill food  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LocimusPrime said:

Does anyone else think that members of the camera crew are armed with rifles so the contestants aren't really in any danger from lions, elephants, hippos, or Jaguars ect.  

If that's the case, I'd rather be near the lakes for better water, and greater opportunities to catch/ kill food  

Yes they certainly would be. It appears as though it ia a large private game reserve so there would be rangers and trackers familiar with the animals routes, dens, and habits. Not that they can't still be unpredictable or respond to some stupid behaviour. I have been on quite a few safari’s in Africa and while they don't make a big deal about it there is always a gun close to hand, especially if on foot. Based on the animals I have seen in wild Africa I personally would not take this level of risk, even with an armed team nearby.

Oh, I'm sure they've got protection set up.  They have to cover their @sses after all.  Can you imagine the lawsuits if one of the contestants got eaten by a lion or hyena?  The production company would never survive.  They just don't want the audience to know that, so they ramp up the shots of predators and have the contestants talk about predators a lot.  Make it more scary than it really is.  Might be that they don't even tell the contestants about the protection they've got set up around them.  Sometimes I think (here and on the regular Naked and Afraid) that all the animal noises around the contestants' camps are made by production to make it scary than it otherwise would be, just to keep people watching.

Clarence DOES have a storage of fat that the other contestants don't, but I'm not sure about his plan not to eat at all until they find cleaner water.  I'm thinking he's going to tap sooner than most other people.  He's too much a "lone wolf" still, even after his 21 day show where he said he was done with that sort of thinking.  Him talking about taking off on his own is just foolish - a lone man with only a knife for protection out there is just serving up a meal for any of a number of predators (or would be, if the producers don't send a group out to cover his @ss).

• Love 2

I 100 % agree with Clarence that they needed to find clean water. I can't believe those two were willing to drink that filthy water. Doesn't matter how much it was boiled.

From what I could see from the previews, Clarence does find clean water.

• Love 4

With regard to the poop pieces and all the other stuff in the water that Clarence's group is boiling and drinking, why aren't they using their burlap bags to "filter" the water? Are they not allowed to use the bags for anything, because I've never seen anyone cut them up for clothing or foot covering.

• Love 3

I don't understand why none of these people ever make something to protect their feet. I haven't seen every episode but I only remember one couple who even attempted to make shoes.   The first thing I would do is gather materials and try to make some kind of foot wear. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

With regard to the poop pieces and all the other stuff in the water that Clarence's group is boiling and drinking, why aren't they using their burlap bags to "filter" the water? Are they not allowed to use the bags for anything, because I've never seen anyone cut them up for clothing or foot covering.

People have definitely made clothes in previous episodes, and they are allowed to use them for filtration because others have done it. No clue why they'd willingly drink shit without filtering it at all :(

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Couple excellent questions that I've wondered about in the past.

First, why don't we see more people making sandals or mocassins. On rare occasions we've seen people make footware, but why don't they all. Watching these people walk around getting thorns in their feet doesn't make sense. Sandals might be harder, but I think I'd practice making primitive bark/root sandals before starting my "adventure". I noticed the dude with two girls (sorry, don't know names yet) wearing what look like burlap mocassins after the one girl went home. Looks like the remaining pair still have their bags, so maybe they used hers when she left. Not total protection from thorns, but has to be an improvement over being barefoot.

Then we have the trio with Clarence who are dealing with crappy water. Ok, I've never actually done it, but I was taught how to filter water in Army survival classes, and they have everything they need. Though it would be better with more pots, one would work, just more spillage so more work. Basically, built a tripod will three or more tiers, one above the other. They could use their bags to make the tiers, or simple weave platforms out of grass/reed's.

New question: how come, when they're all lounging around in camp, no one is busy weaving baskets, hats, capes to keep the sun from burning them (once you're sunburned you're at some much greater risk of heat injury), mats to sleep on, and the hundred and one other things they could weave - oh, including soles to put in their mocassins.

Anyway back to the tripod filter. Make a series of filters to put on the tiers. Say a grass mat on top, then some sand, and some ash from the campfire on the bottomed tier. The more tiers you have, the better, just have the coarser filter above the finer one. Heck, if you have the materiel to make two tripods, have one with coarser filters and one with coarse sand, fine sand, and crushed up charcoal. 

While part of the team is getting the tripod is ready, the rest can dig what's called an Egyptian well. Basically, that's just a hole a couple feet from the scum filled pond. How far away depends on how fast the water will filter from the pond to your hole. If you're lucky it's sandy soil, so it will go fast.

Heck, if they have the energy they could have a series of holes, letting water filter from hole to hole, getting cleaner as it goes. This would have the added benefit of creating smaller ponds for the fish and crabs to live, making them easier to catch. Only problem is that looks like rocky soil, so it may be tough digging and take a while for water to filter into the new hole.

Once you get a pot full of water, dump it in the top tier on your tripod, and quick as you can put the pot under the bottom to catch the water. This is where additional pots would come in handy. You could have a transport pot, a catch pot, one full of boiling water, and one with the water cooling. You can pour the water through the tripod multiple times, the more times the more sediment (and elephant poop) will be filtered out. Add more grass, sand, charcoal as needed.

Oh, and this water should still be boiled, as these crude filters are not filtering bacteria and many of the parasites in that poppy water. Yes, lots of work for a drink, but better than getting sick or refusing to drink.

• Love 6

There have been a few couples that have made sandals and simple clothing on the 21 days shows, but believe you me, I'd be making sandals toot suite.  And some sort of cape as well, as I'd burn like a burning thing in that sun-filled landscape.  Blisters, I'm telling you.  I'd be practicing making sandals out of every type of grass and reed before I left the USA.  My feet are precious to me.  Love the idea of the filters - I've seen them done with an old water bottle, rocks, moss and sand.  Worked really well.  No moss for any of these groups, but woven mats would be good.

• Love 4

Didn't take long before someone tapped out, and I'm really not sure why. Not saying it's not tough, just that she seemed to quit without much effort. Stop and think about it. You don't just go from your hotel out into the bush and expect to survive. She knew she was going to be barefoot in rough terrain. She knew it would be hot. Did she do anything to acclimate to the conditions she knew she was going into. You can train the human body to survive pretty extreme conditions, but you can't just put someone in those conditions and expect them to survive. I wonder if she spent any time toughening up her feet so she'd be able to walk around barefoot. A week to ten days of working in a hot environment for gradually longer periods, and her body would be acclimated. But, watching her gingerly walk around barefoot and suffer from the heat, I honestly wonder if she spent any time getting acclimated. All the teams really need to work on staying hydrated. When you're in that kind of heat you have to force yourself to drink, because dehydration will sneak up on you before you know it. And of course once you're dehydrated you have to REALLY force the liquids. A couple of the girls on the three girl team appear to be in the early stages of heat injury, several people are sunburned which increases the danger of heat casualties as the body can't regulate its temperature as wellong ... I expect folks to start dropping - not even thinking about the spoilers in the previews.

I have mixed feelings about Clarence. I'm not a long time viewer of N&A, but I did watch him do his 21 days. Wasn't impressed with his lack of working as a team then, and not impressed so far this go round. His claim to be able to go 40 days without eating is crazy - not impossible but certainly not smart. Not at all surprised he's involved in the season's first yelling match. Won't be at all surprised if he takes off on his own looking for cleaner water.

I can almost agree with his quest for cleaner water, but not his idea to strike out and leave what they have. First off, I'm surprised none of that team has thought of filtering the water. I've already posted my thoughts on that, so won't bore you going over it again. But, long term the team is going to need a new water source, because what they have now is going to keep evaporating and getting dirtier as time goes by. So they need water, they're still relatively fresh, now's the time to scout a little and see if there may not be better water right around the bend. Not saying they have to pick up and move now, but why not check out the neighborhood before the food is all gone and the water hole has dried up. To me, the best thing would be to: start filtering the water;  hydrate as much as possible; start scouting the area an hour or two in the cooler parts of the day to determine the best direction and route to take when the time comes; and my biggest problem with this show, get busy around camp. Hey, if you need to take a siesta during the hottest part of the day, fine. But start doing something to survive long term instead of what is the norm for N&A where they just try to do as little as possible till pick up.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

There have been a few couples that have made sandals and simple clothing on the 21 days shows, but believe you me, I'd be making sandals toot suite.  And some sort of cape as well, as I'd burn like a burning thing in that sun-filled landscape.  Blisters, I'm telling you. 

I'd be right there with you. I'm a blue eyed, blond guy who starts turning red after a hour in the sun - and that's the skin that's tanned. I'd start burning my lilly-white a$$ off 30 seconds after the start - just one reason why I would never do this. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I never understand why most of the participants don't keep their hands busy weaving stuff while lounging about camp. Frankly, I would love to see someone bring a pair of sneakers as their survival item! :-)

Couldn't stand Clarence before; can't stand him now.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Didn't take long before someone tapped out, and I'm really not sure why

I think it was the mental aspect that did this one in.  She mentioned that she hadn't slept in two (or more?) nights.  I think the mental fatigue set in and sometimes that can trump the physical demands, but put the two together and it's the perfect storm. 

With the way the wildlife seems to be more active after dark, I would think their strategy should be to sync their schedules with the animals - sleep/rest during the day to stay awake at night.  Unfortunately, that would make for boring television. 

• Love 3
On 7/12/2016 at 1:13 PM, stillhere1900 said:

I 100 % agree with Clarence that they needed to find clean water. I can't believe those two were willing to drink that filthy water. Doesn't matter how much it was boiled.

From what I could see from the previews, Clarence does find clean water.

Yes, and I think it is pretty awesome for someone to survive living on the streets of Baltimore, I believe, and survive being robbed at gunpoint.  I also remember how he had to jump from pretty high up into a body of water. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Good start, glad they got rid of the weak link in the first episode (why did they even bring her back?? She didn't even make it to 21 days in her own episode).

So far, rooting hard for the guys' team as it features some of my all-time favorite survivalists. I'm semi-rooting for the tick team.

I'm also happy they got rid of the aspect where they dropped off everyone alone and they had to find their way to each other--took too long, so this time we were able to just get to the challenge.

Edited by niklj
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, suzeecat said:

I think it was the mental aspect that did this one in.  She mentioned that she hadn't slept in two (or more?) nights.  I think the mental fatigue set in and sometimes that can trump the physical demands, but put the two together and it's the perfect storm. 

With the way the wildlife seems to be more active after dark, I would think their strategy should be to sync their schedules with the animals - sleep/rest during the day to stay awake at night.  Unfortunately, that would make for boring television. 

i think she tapped out the 3rd of 4th day.....and she was a former marine, lol.  sleep should not be an issue for a marine, i would think....nor should "ticks", lions.....debatable given she was a marine and i would think she would have faced far more dangerous people than lions during her stint...which makes you wonder how she even got there.  then again, her 21 day stint, she was a total bitch.  she liked putting former marine on her resume, but she showed no tactical initiative, no defensive strategy against the wildlife......she was a joke and i would think the marine is embarrassed to have the bitch throw the "marine" word around and tapping out the first few days and complaining about ticks.  i have a friend in the army that goes through weekly trainings where they are always covered in ticks, chiggers, and spiders in ft campbell in kentucky.  this bitch marine is a joke and an embarrassment,  she was just there to promote her modeling career.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, lovebug1975 said:

sleep should not be an issue for a marine

True.  I was thinking of how I myself would feel after a few days without sleep, but I am not a former marine for lots of really good reasons, LOL! 

10 hours ago, lovebug1975 said:

she was just there to promote her modeling career

Right on the money with this!

I vaguely recall that she had some sort of desk job when she was in the marines.  Maybe I imagined it.  That picture of her in a bikini on her hands and knees in the sand said it all.  I believe it was right before she started being showcased (as in, rationalizing why she should tap out) that the producers added the text at the bottom of the screen about how they chose the 12 people whom they thought had the best chance of surviving the 40 days. They knew the audience would be wondering how the hell they even considered having that woman return.  How come WE all knew she wouldn't make it past day 2 or 3? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I vaguely recall that she had some sort of desk job when she was in the marines.  Maybe I imagined it.  That picture of her in a bikini on her hands and knees in the sand said it all.  I believe it was right before she started being showcased (as in, rationalizing why she should tap out) that the producers added the text at the bottom of the screen about how they chose the 12 people whom they thought had the best chance of surviving the 40 days. They knew the audience would be wondering how the hell they even considered having that woman return.  How come WE all knew she wouldn't make it past day 2 or 3? 

Hmmm, wonder what Marines think of her performance? Like I said earlier, it looked like she did nothing to acclimate to what she knew was coming. Wonder where she did her service, since you can find Marines serving pretty much anywhere. Don't guess it matters if her supervisors let her skate on mandatory training. Not that unusual to see a clerk who manages to always have something that just HAS to be done when something comes along they'd rather dodge - though rare in the better units. 

Or it could be she forgot how important it is to train for the weather. I remember leaving Oklahoma wearing sweater and field jacket, and about dying when they opened the rear of a C130 in Honduras. Even when you're in great physical shape, the sudden change can get you. Looking at her Bio, she lives in Denver, so Africa was a drastic change. Google has a couple articles http://www.ibtimes.com/naked-afraid-xl-season-2-spoilers-who-tapped-outquit-why-2390887 which is, at least IMHO, a whitewash of her tapping out. 

One thing she mentioned during the episode was that she was afraid of all the ticks. That brings up what I consider a major reason any sane person would think long and hard before stripping down and heading into the bush. Not only can insect bites carry deadly diseases, they can carry diseases which can involve long arduous treatment. I've heard of past cast members who have contracted diseases after not following accepted preventative measures because of this show. I see no value in showing people covered in insect bites, especially in an area where insects carry diseases for which there are no immunization or preventive medicines. (But then what's the point of being naked and barefoot, anyway.) I don't know if Carrie is just bring prissy about ticks, or if she was freaked about walking around nude in a tick infested area where there's actually a disease named after the ticks. When you look at  http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/african-tick-bite-fever you see that the show forbids every preventive measure for a disease for which there is no immunization. Oh, and those ticks can carry more than one disease. The one above isn't that bad, more flu-like, and can be treated with tetracycline. Another disease they carry is much worse, and can cause fatal complications in elderly or debilitated victims. Wonder if these dehydrated and starving folks might qualify as debilitated? More I read the more I'm afraid of those ticks.

• Love 2

As a former WM, Woman Marine, well,  honestly.  I don't think the Marines prepared me much for surviving in the wild for a long time. It's not really what you are trained for. I mean, some yes, but it's not extensive. Now I don't know what she did while in the Marines and certain MOS's would get more developed skills of that sort.

But the insect thing. Well, all WM"s  go to MCRD Parris Island SC. The bugs there are simply unreal. We spent countless amounts of time standing outside being chewed up by sand fleas. Those bugs are flying mouth. And if you were standing in formation you did not move, you did not swat at them, you did not scratch. You let them chew you. Why? Because if you are in combat and do not want to give away your location. You don't move your hands to swat a bug away You just don't. You could get your entire squad killed. I still have sand flea scars and I went to BT in 1988. 

And I would never do this show. I would not even have done it fresh out of the Marines. No way.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

As a former WM, Woman Marine, well,  honestly.  I don't think the Marines prepared me much for surviving in the wild for a long time. It's not really what you are trained for. I mean, some yes, but it's not extensive. Now I don't know what she did while in the Marines and certain MOS's would get more developed skills of that sort.

But the insect thing. Well, all WM"s  go to MCRD Parris Island SC. The bugs there are simply unreal. We spent countless amounts of time standing outside being chewed up by sand fleas. Those bugs are flying mouth. And if you were standing in formation you did not move, you did not swat at them, you did not scratch. You let them chew you. Why? Because if you are in combat and do not want to give away your location. You don't move your hands to swat a bug away You just don't. You could get your entire squad killed. I still have sand flea scars and I went to BT in 1988. 

And I would never do this show. I would not even have done it fresh out of the Marines. No way.

You're right, of course. She served 4 years active duty, so it's entirely possible she never had anything beyond generalized survival courses. Her bio says she now lives in Denver - great place for altitude training, not so much for heat and humidity. Looking at her Bio from the Cambodian 21 days, she credits most of her survival skills to experience with her brother prior to joining the USMC.

I suppose when I think on my military training I need to remember it spans 20 years. A lot of my hot weather experience is in the Mojave, and that started even before I joined as I grew up in Bakersfield and spent quite a few weekends riding dirt bikes in the desert. Then a lot of time training at 29 Palms and Irwin, tours in Central American, training in Egypt, serving in Desert Storm. Yeah, the Army taught me how to survive dry heat as well as hot and humid. As a young dummy, when I first enlisted I believed the recruiter when he told me I could choose where I was stationed after AIT. I told him anyplace warm was fine, so after AIT I went to... Alaska. Oh well, I learned about surviving cold weather in Fairbanks and Ft Greely. 

But, back on topic, I spent tours which taught me absolutely nothing about surviving temperature extremes. Military training can be excellent, but it is by no means universal. My own experience was that I didn't learn anything beyond the most basic things until the Army decided to send me somewhere. Most military people have no need to know about primitive survival techniques, so training in those techniques is either very basic or non-existent. 

All that doesn't excuse her for not taking the time to prepare for Africa. Unless she found out she was going at the last minute, there were things she could have done to prepare - which she apparently didn't do. Really has nothing to do with her service, and everything to do with common sense when going into a survival challenge.

• Love 1
On July 12, 2016 at 11:59 PM, Maharincess said:

What does this mean? 

Jake said it. It's a silly saying he probably made up that I take to mean- like a flirtatious See you later at our favorite spot. Just guessing!

• Love 1
On 7/12/2016 at 7:16 PM, Liberty said:

I can't make that quote box go away. 

Do we talk about the new episode here?  I don't see a thread for the new one. Is there somebody we can ask to make a thread for us? 

(edited)

Ah, another week and another one down. I'm sorry to see Clarence go down, he was proving me wrong about his not being a team member. He was contributing a lot, still making trips for water and supplying food for the team. I didn't agree with him all the time, but his slow and easy, avoid work when hot, approach seems spot on. I just hope it wasn't peer pressure that made  him overdo and go on the that hunt at a time when knew he should have been in the shade taking it easy. I knew he was in serious trouble when he complained of not being about to breath and they showed him lying there. Looked like he had stopped sweating, which screamed heat stroke.

Know I said it before, but they really need to be drinking more. In that kind of heat you need to force yourself to drink. In the Army they used to say squad leaders needed to gather the squad and watch them drink a quart an hour in that type once temps go over 100 - more when active in the sun. Your body is already dehydrated when you feel thirst - and once you're dehydrated it's next to impossible to rehydrate when you have to collect and boil the water. Really, the big group needs to have a pot heating all the time now that they have two pots. Then force it down when it's cool enough to drink.

Begins to look like the former Marine was right to fear those ticks. That spot behind the ear of her former team mate looks just like some of the pictures from the African Tick Fever pages, and her symptoms seems to match. I'd say she needs to have the medics see if it is a tick, and tap if it is - remember, some of those ticks bites develop deadly/or long term complications.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 3
On 7/13/2016 at 11:55 PM, niklj said:

Good start, glad they got rid of the weak link in the first episode (why did they even bring her back?? She didn't even make it to 21 days in her 

NOT a Carrie fan at all, but she did make it to the end last time. She was the bitchy chick who, on the last day, set out for extraction alone-leaving her partner sans map.

(edited)
23 hours ago, mamadrama said:

NOT a Carrie fan at all, but she did make it to the end last time. She was the bitchy chick who, on the last day, set out for extraction alone-leaving her partner sans map.

Oh, thanks for the correction, I must've blocked it out of my mind lol Glad she wasn't as rude this time, just a quitter.

I felt bad for Clarence--this is a guy who knows his body, gets heckled for how he knows to survive, and passes out trying to impress his hecklers. Poo poo on those guys (mostly whatsherface). Reminds me of how Shane got dehydrated trying to keep up with EJ and the other guy and had to tap out.

The elephant scene was a nice moment.

I hope Kim doesn't have to tap out, I like her and Darrin's team. I don't know why they don't move away from such a tick-infested area, though.

Can't believe that the team with the three best hunters are doing so poorly, wow.

Edited by niklj
Typo
  • Love 3

I was sad to see Clarence go, just when he was finally starting to mesh with the group. Clarence bugs me at times. I think he means well, but he has a tendency  to act like a self-centered brat at times. But I don't think that's truly who he is. I think he is one of those people that really struggles to show his authenticity to others. People just don't get him, and he's probably used to that. But he was really making an effort. He caught some fish for them and was helping with the porcupine hole. I liked that the others realized their first impressions may have been wrong and felt bad for how they had talked about him. The elephant moment was so so cool, and it really sucked that after all that, he had to go. But the environment out there is no joke. They definitely need to be drinking more and doing more work in the very early and later parts of the day. 

I hope Kim can make it as well! But I'm scared for her with that bite, ick. I like her and Darrin together. They both seem really chill and supportive. 

I love how the knuckleheads on the all guy team have been out there every day and haven't caught squat, and Darrin saunters out there and catches a lizard like it ain't no thang. I think those guys are a little too puffed up. They all think they have the right idea, and they're not really effectively communicating. There was one shot of them, back at camp, and Ryan and Steven (did I get those names right?) were both making stank faces at each other, but not directly AT each other. They're going to seethe and seethe and then blow up. I'm predicting it now. 

Primitive hunting is not as easy as it looks. I think you would have to be highly HIGHLY skilled, and super patient, to be able to get a large animal with a spear like that. They might want to start going for smaller animals, because they're going to starve at this rate. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, niklj said:

Oh, thanks for the correction, I must've blocked it out of my mind lol Glad she wasn't as rude this time, just a quitter

Ha ha, I am sure it would've come outm given more time.

9 hours ago, ghoulina said:

There was one shot of them, back at camp, and Ryan and Steven (did I get those names right?) were both making stank faces at each other, but not directly AT each other. They're going to seethe and seethe and then blow up. I'm predicting it 

I predicted a Steven/Ryan showdown as soon as the cast was announced. Both are highly skilled hunters and even more skilled at tooting their own horns. Hell, by the end of Ryan's epi he was ordering the crew around and narrarating like he was headlining his own survivor series. N&A gold, right there!

I am actually a fan of Steven's but there are too many cocks of the walk in that henhouse.

Pun only sort of intended...

• Love 4

Whenever they show those ticks hanging all over the branches, I shudder. Like something out of a horror movie.

Does Team Bro realize how thick the skin of a wart hog is? Flinging a pointed stick at one isn't going to work!

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Whenever they show those ticks hanging all over the branches, I shudder. Like something out of a horror movie.

Does Team Bro realize how thick the skin of a wart hog is? Flinging a pointed stick at one isn't going to work!

ITA and especially as they seem to have trouble consistently hitting anything with the tip. Other thing, seems like a bad idea to hunt anything that large. How do they plan to preserve the meat? Not only that, but even if they manage to kill something and preserve the meat, wouldn't all the scavengers smell it and come to looking? Ok, it might make for good tv, but I don'the think it smart to attract a band of hyena or pack of wild dogs when you're armed with a wooden spear even if there are armed guards just out of view.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, SRTouch said:

ITA and especially as they seem to have trouble consistently hitting anything with the tip. Other thing, seems like a bad idea to hunt anything that large. How do they plan to preserve the meat? Not only that, but even if they manage to kill something and preserve the meat, wouldn't all the scavengers smell it and come to looking? Ok, it might make for good tv, but I don'the think it smart to attract a band of hyena or pack of wild dogs when you're armed with a wooden spear even if there are armed guards just out of view.

I think it would be okay to hunt large game, but not with a spear. Like I said in my first post, spear hunting is way WAY harder than it looks. You have be very practiced in doing it. And I think their spear should actually be way thinner and lighter. It's very hard to be accurate with that weapon. 

What they could do is try a trap of some sort. A pit maybe. But yes, they'd need to find a way to preserve it quickly before they brought every predator in the bush down on them. 

• Love 2
On 7/21/2016 at 8:41 AM, ghoulina said:

I think it would be okay to hunt large game, but not with a spear. Like I said in my first post, spear hunting is way WAY harder than it looks. You have be very practiced in doing it. And I think their spear should actually be way thinner and lighter. It's very hard to be accurate with that weapon. 

What they could do is try a trap of some sort. A pit maybe. But yes, they'd need to find a way to preserve it quickly before they brought every predator in the bush down on them. 

Going by the editing, they're hunting only for large game, and nothing else. You'd think they'd have realized by now that they've underestimated what it takes to bring down large animals, but they they don't seem to have learned from things that didn't work. They tried a snare, and even caught the boar in it. But the boar was strong enough to pull out the stake that anchored the snare. They, possibly could have taken that information and realized that snares work, but you need a stronger, better anchored stake. No. They went back to spears.

If the editing is accurately showing the hunting situation, and if the guys are not hunting for smaller, easier prey (or bugs, nuts, or berries, etc), they're going to get steadily weaker.

• Love 4
(edited)

After watching episode 3 "human prey"......

ryan is a whiner and a self righteous jerk.  he keeps preaching leadership, miltary, blah, blah...didn't he have like a breakdown or something...traumatic stress disorder or something .....so for someone to "preach" his own worth just seem fake to me if you yourself was a broken man after your military stint.  laughing off when he has no defense for his argument is a sign of a man who can't back up his shit....who cares if you get up at 5:30 in the morning.....that doesn't mean you are a leader because you wake up like a chicken who likes to cock a doodle doo.  going off on your own to hunt in the jungle......stupid.  if that is what he calls leadership, wow.  just wow.

why is angel even on the alpha team?  it should be rat boy.  all i hear is "i wish i was home".  trying to save face by using his daughters as an excuse for tapping out.  stfu.  just own it that you can't do it.  don't use your daughters as an excuse.  you didn't think about them on the two occasions you decided to do this.

clarence.....just as u were told, if you don't drink the water, your body will shut down...guess what?  and all that BS speeh about the elephants....spare me.....some self serving speech to save your ass and put a disney spin that the group should forgive your sorry ass.

"industrial strength eyelash extensions"...........hilarious.  that tops "see you at the seesaw, cindy".  too bad his combined group sucks.  without clarence, the group is basically just 5 women hanging out.  no wonder they are looking for more people, cause none of them can actually hunt.  as bad as clarence was, he actually brought more food to the group.  nothing about the "bad ass trio women" is even worth noting.  they get handed a nice area teeming with resources and they still have not done anything with it except lounge around the fire and waste away and wait for someone to bring food.

rat boy and his partner....wish them luck.  i really like that duo.  i never liked rat boy on his 21 day episode, but there is something different about him this time around.  he seems more relaxed and mellow....really nice guy.

Edited by lovebug1975
  • Love 3

Well, uh...this is getting to be a pretty disappointing season. It's like everyone never fully recovered from their first go-around.

Is it weird that I feel worse for Kim than Tawny, even though they have the same tick disease? I think it's because Kim is still trying to work through the pain and Tawny is just relying on her partners to do stuff.

Speaking of do stuff, that lady who always complained about Clarence never doing anything is...not doing anything. "Oh, I'll wait back here with Tawny. For, um, moral support. Yeah." While everyone is trying to catch fish, she's there "offering moral support." And I think that's what she did her first time, too. "My role is to offer moral support."

This show isn't "Naked and Supportive." This lady needs to go.

• Love 2

I LOVE Darrin. He is, of course, a giant weirdo, but I just LOVE him. Loved him on the original show and love him more here. The guy is probably the most talented guy they've ever had, and he easily gets along with people as long as they're okay with his giant-weirdo personality. He is very nice and very caring.

• Love 10

Wow, this is so hard to watch, it's like Night of the Living Dead, they're all walking around like zombies!  Kudos to Kim for sticking it out as long as she has.  It sounds like she is in some serious pain.  I think I saw shoes on Kim's feet in one shot.  Then I KNOW I saw Darrin wearing shoes.  Maybe he made one pair and they trade off.  I feel sorry for Darrin.  He's lost with no rats to hunt and feels bad not being able to help his partner.  Not to mention starving himself.

I knew as soon as Angel started talking about his kids that he was going to tap out.  That's the one thing that draws the parents out in these challenges.  I understood his point, but I still think it was an excuse.  That's OK, I never would have done it in the first place. 

• Love 3
(edited)
48 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

I knew as soon as Angel started talking about his kids that he was going to tap out.  That's the one thing that draws the parents out in these challenges.  I understood his point, but I still think it was an excuse.  That's OK, I never would have done it in the first place. 

Same here.  He knew when he signed on that his daughter's birthday would coincide with taping, but he chose to go anyway?  I'm a parent, too, so I understand not wanting to miss that big day, but I wish these folks would be a little more honest about their reasons for tapping out.  I can do without the teary-eyed, dramatic speeches about family and obligation.  I would just say that it's effing hot, I want to drink coffee and eat again, and demand that someone summon my pants immediately.

(Oh, and as much as it pains me to admit that I know this, Jake's "see you at the seesaw, Cindy" is from the 1995 Brady Bunch Movie.  I love me some Jake and I think we would get along like a house on fire if we knew each other in real life.)

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 7