Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 7/26/2016 at 8:23 AM, SoSueMe said:

I don't know why it irritates me but I wish she would say "my age" instead of "of my age". Maybe it's regional or maybe her way is correct grammar, I don't know. It just grates.

I think it's from the expression "a woman of a certain age." It's better to say "of my age" than "decrepit old bag like me." 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I too have an archaic top loading machine, but my laundry expert friend tells me that the front loading ones are crap because you can't soak your laundry, for example dirty diapers or kids clothes.  True?  Not true?  I have no idea because I basically suck at laundry, I barely separate the loads.  Funny thing is, my clothes look as clean as the next guys to me.

Am I the only one who didn't know people soaked their laundry in the washing machine?  I thought people did it elsewhere.  At least, everyone I've seen soaking their laundry was doing it elsewhere.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Am I the only one who didn't know people soaked their laundry in the washing machine?  I thought people did it elsewhere.  At least, everyone I've seen soaking their laundry was doing it elsewhere.

My washing machine (top loader) has a "Soak" feature.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I do believe that George Hamilton is STILL a handsome guy.  Have you ever seen any of his older movies? Like "Love at First Bite" and "Where the Boys Are" spring to mind.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3251648/george-hamilton-is-the-extra-crispy-colonel-why-kfc-keeps-switching-the-actors/

Well at least he has a sense of humor about himself.  But no I had no idea who George Hamilton was.  I have seen Love at First Bite but I didn't put it together that that is who that is.  Yes very handsome as a younger man, now enh *shrug*

• Love 1

I hate this series of credit card commercials.  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ABEA/citi-double-cash-card-bad-date  (The one where they're in the restaurant illustrates my point better than this one, but I couldn't find it.)  The people in the commercial aren't "saying what they mean" as much as they're "saying what they're thinking," which isn't really the same thing.  They're saying out loud things people normally keep to themselves, not stating more honestly things they hedge or lie about.

• Love 4
On ‎07‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:57 AM, mansonlamps said:

I too have an archaic top loading machine, but my laundry expert friend tells me that the front loading ones are crap because you can't soak your laundry, for example dirty diapers or kids clothes.  True?  Not true?  I have no idea because I basically suck at laundry, I barely separate the loads.  Funny thing is, my clothes look as clean as the next guys to me.

Apparently front loading machines also have a problem with mildew building up in the door seal and smelling really bad, at least according to an article I read.  Although maybe the manufacturers have fixed that.

Oh my god, everyone--I saw a commercial last night with Kevin James in it, possibly for KFC. There were two Kevins and they were both eating chicken while making the loudest, wet, slappy, mouth noises! It was so bad. I screamed.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I do believe that George Hamilton is STILL a handsome guy.  Have you ever seen any of his older movies? Like "Love at First Bite" and "Where the Boys Are" spring to mind.

Sometime in the early 90s, he was appearing at some convention and I got an autographed picture.  I was giddy.  I still have it.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Is there any other way to eat KFC chicken?

I'm no expert because I don't eat chicken, but with one's mouth closed? Yikes, it was so, so bad--like regular gross open-mouth chewing but exaggerated because...acting, I guess?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm no expert because I don't eat chicken, but with one's mouth closed? Yikes, it was so, so bad--like regular gross open-mouth chewing but exaggerated because...acting, I guess?

Believe me, if you've ever gone into a KFC place, you'd see worse than those dudes in the commercial. ; )

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

But no I had no idea who George Hamilton was.  

Wow, I feel old. George is very handsome, and he's had affairs with some beautiful women, including Elizabeth Taylor. His autobiography is entertaining. 

I liked him in "Light in the Piazza." 

I think he's got a reality show with Rod Stewart, revolving around Alana, but I've never seen it. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, janie jones said:

Oh yeah, but I never knew people actually used the soak function.

We do a lot of shit we don't tell you about.  We have secrets.......and we soak!  Usually late at night, when no one is around.

• Love 18

Hey, SILK???  Your "Do Plants" movement and the DIN you created with the ads?  Have turned off my ENTIRE family and everyone I know who has seen your frantic, nauseating and repellant ads!  I bet almond milk is delicious; I will never buy yours.

• Love 4

I've only seen this Entenmann's Little Bites commercial once.  I hated it immediately.

It's so retro, it's borderline quaint.  The whole vibe is early 1980's.  Mom lovingly arranged the pouches of muffins in a bowl (as all of our mothers would have); the bowl looks like it's almost overflowing, and all of the pouches are right-side-up and facing the camera.  The bowl sits next to the product box, also lovingly displayed.

Could her daughter be more precious?  And boys will be boys!  The adorable scamp seems mischievous, but Mom approves of his antics, because Little Bites are wholesome.

I could only find the long version of the commercial to post.  In the short version I saw on TV, the subplot with the son (0:17 to 0:22) was cut out.  So, that sequence went: daughter offers a Little Bite to female Random Asian Kid, and then they both inexplicably giggle.  That actually was appropriate for the throwback feel of the commercial.

• Love 2

I would never buy almond milk anyway (blech!), but if I was tempted I'd never buy SILK. Like you, Bratttinella, the DIN is horrendous. As soon as it starts I hit the mute button.

Another immediate mute is that Bon Jovi cable ad. Never been a fan of the man & his band anyway (actively dislike their music) his caterwauling actually hurts my ears. I can't mute it fast enough. It also sounds like, if he ever could sing, he can no longer.

• Love 3
(edited)

Almond milk is pretty great, but I prefer coconut. But I'll add a "blech!" for cow milk!

Just saw a Starburst commercial in which some dummy says, "How do they get it to taste so juicy?" "Juicy" is not a taste! And one for some crazy-ass, probably poisonous diet pill in which the narrator keeps saying "body fat." Is there really a need for the word "body"? What other fat would it be that people are trying to get rid of--soul fat?

Also, I saw the "smile" one that someone upthread mentioned. While I do not pronounce smile as only one syllable, this lady does say it so weird and also sounds like she's lisping and drooling around her fancy new teeth. Not a ringing endorsement if you ask me.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Hey, SILK???  Your "Do Plants" movement and the DIN you created with the ads?  Have turned off my ENTIRE family and everyone I know who has seen your frantic, nauseating and repellant ads!  I bet almond milk is delicious; I will never buy yours.

If you're a supertaster, almond milk is hell. If you're an epileptic supertaster, those ads are trying to kill you.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, janie jones said:

I hate this series of credit card commercials.  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ABEA/citi-double-cash-card-bad-date  (The one where they're in the restaurant illustrates my point better than this one, but I couldn't find it.)  The people in the commercial aren't "saying what they mean" as much as they're "saying what they're thinking," which isn't really the same thing.  They're saying out loud things people normally keep to themselves, not stating more honestly things they hedge or lie about.

Is it this one?

• Love 2

And one for some crazy-ass, probably poisonous diet pill in which the narrator keeps saying "body fat." Is there really a need for the word "body"? What other fat would it be that people are trying to get rid of--soul fat?

Dietary fat?

(edited)
5 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Ok this one has been bugging me for awhile now.  I know it's meant to be funny but Flo is just coming across as anal retentive.  I like the ones with her family better.

Generally don't most people pay good, hard earned money for their newspapers? I know the Seattle Times is like $150.00 a year. If I caught someone making it so I didn't get my paper, I'd kick their ass off my property.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Almond milk is definitely not delicious.  Tastes a lot like dirt and nothing like milk.  It might even be worse then soy milk, and that's saying something.  But even if I was ever inclined to buy the stuff, it sure wouldn't be Silk, thanks to these awful ads.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

nothing like milk.

Thank goodness, haha! I don't get "dirt" from almond milk, but I also don't just drink it; I use it (and coconut milk) only as a necessary substitute for cow's milk--for cereal, smoothies (I hate that word), mac & "cheese." There's a chocolate coconut milk though that is really good--better than I remember actual chocolate milk being when I was little. I use that in chocolate chip cookies (the only baked goods I will ever make. I suck at baking).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Trader Joe's unsweetened almond milk is pretty good. I think it's better than Silk.

I drink it straight--I pour cereal into my mouth from one cup, then immediately pour almond milk into my mouth from another cup. I chew and enjoy crunchy, milky cereal that will never get soggy.

I'm a monster.

• Love 9
On July 27, 2016 at 6:02 AM, BooksRule said:

I find the 'extra crispy Colonel' in the newest KFC commercials to be even creepier than in the past.  And, although the chicken looks pretty good, I never had any desire to eat chicken on the beach (extra crispy with added sand, you know).  And he has six arms,  eeek!

All of George Hamilton's sun tanning commercials bug me. My father battled melanoma for his last 20 years; it's not funny.

• Love 4

No worries. Sorry back--weird day here. In short, went to my recently deceased (well, just about a year) friend's parents' house today. They were having a garage sale but wanted some of us to see if we wanted anything of his. I didn't really "need" anything but I think it makes his mom happy when one of his friends since high school keeps something. Tomorrow would have been his 46th birthday. Anyway, weird feelings today. Also, just as I was leaving there, a crazy downpour was starting, and Skid Row's "I Remember You" came on the radio. I'm a weirdo who thinks things like that are signs or messages--so more weird sad-happy mixed-up feelings.

Yes, I just rambled, I know--carry on!

• Love 9
(edited)

Oh, no--you're fine! Really, I swear! I just read it snippy even if it wasn't snippy--and even though I usually don't take snippy too badly anyway.

I did end up coming away with a super-cool vintage T-shirt from a local metal station we all used to listen to. Just my thing--a perfect find for this kind of out-of-the-ordinary scenario. And I like to think that he was saying hey through Skid Row (of all things).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
(edited)

I always roll my eyes at the "Do Not Attempt" fine print in commercials, but if I had to pick a time that it would be needed:

The fine print cautions us to "Always Take Safety Precautions."  In this case, that's a helmet.  I bet Tony is the last manny her parents hire from care.com.

ETA: I just noticed she put on knee pads.  She'll be fine.

Edited by erikdepressant
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

All of George Hamilton's sun tanning commercials bug me. My father battled melanoma for his last 20 years; it's not funny.

Well, and also, I saw him on TV like 15 years ago talking about how he doesn't tan anymore because he realizes it's dangerous, and it's all makeup now.  I seem to recall him showing the makeup he used.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, janie jones said:

Well, and also, I saw him on TV like 15 years ago talking about how he doesn't tan anymore because he realizes it's dangerous, and it's all makeup now.  I seem to recall him showing the makeup he used.

At this point I believe he's just doing spray tan. The pro kind, but still.

• Love 2
On 7/29/2016 at 7:57 PM, bilgistic said:

Trader Joe's unsweetened almond milk is pretty good. I think it's better than Silk.

I drink it straight--I pour cereal into my mouth from one cup, then immediately pour almond milk into my mouth from another cup. I chew and enjoy crunchy, milky cereal that will never get soggy.

I'm a monster.

With an aversion to dishes and utensils?

• Love 2

I really, really don't like soggy cereal, and my cereal choice contains (nutty clusters and) flakes, which get soggy the second they look at milk.

I'm single, as if there was any doubt.

• Love 7