Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Losing at Love

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Stripper Glitter said:

Do you think she has the fortitude to adhere to eating restrictions that come with that surgery?

Probably not.  She doesn't have the discipline.  Hopefully she'll wake up and grow up before the weight takes too much more of a toll on her.

• Love 2

It's really very unfortunate that she hasn't seemed to proceed down a road that encourages "no bs" while working to get herself healthy. I am overweight (losing it though!) and while I have come to accept me I haven't been happy with me and I know that at 47 I cannot continue to take health for granted. So I finally found something that is working for me. I wish that Whitney could/would. I get embarrassed for her in the things she can't do, the way she thinks fat jiggling around looks attractive, and so on. I KNOW my fat doesn't look good. It's why I cover it up and am trying to get rid of as much as I can! Plus size is one thing. Morbidly obese is another. I can call myself plus size but the fact of the matter is that I currently fall under morbidly obese. That said, I have gone from a starting BMI of 50.6 to one of 47.3 and I'm steadily chipping away at it :-)

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

I'm active in my day to day life in that I go to the store, go to work, do household stuff, etc but I still classify myself as sedentary. Unless she's really getting out there and being active 5x a week for 30 minutes plus, she's sedentary IMO. If she cut to 2000 calories a day she'd lose weight. What are her stats? I put 5'3 and 378 lbs, age 30? 

• You need 2,884 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
  • You need 2,384 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
  • You need 1,884 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.
  • You need 3,384 Calories/day to gain 1 lb per week.
  • You need 3,884 Calories/day to gain 2 lb per week.

I tend to think she is eating much more, because of the various fast food wrappers in the car and the ice cream tub.

I've eaten straight from the tub.....I've been that girl, but I don't remember the tub being quite that big, and I certainly wasn't doing it in my car.  Because when you're eating ice cream in a car, you're kind of admitting that the majority of it is going to be eaten right there.  This is why people who are going to take ice cream home, kinda make it the last stop.

She is just shoveling it in, because of her food issues.  And that, IMO, makes it more likely that she is eating way more than 2k calories and if she did cut to 2k calories she may lose weight.  But right now, I don't think that anyone can really know what her baseline is at.  I mean, at some point there will be a calorie deficit that will result in a weight loss, no matter how big she is.  

On My 600 Pound Life, those subjects can drop weight pretty quickly if they stick with the plan.  The weight loss is drastic because they have smaller stomachs and are taking in a lot less food.  But if the mechanics of less food = losing weight works in that situation, I don't see why a less drastic cut in calories wouldn't result in Whitney losing weight.....she just shouldn't lose it at the same rate as Dr. Now's patients.  

I would love for her to be on that BBC show "Secret Eaters" where they install hidden cameras without her knowing and follow her around 24/7 to find out what she is really eating.  

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Stripper Glitter said:

It's really very unfortunate that she hasn't seemed to proceed down a road that encourages "no bs" while working to get herself healthy. I am overweight (losing it though!) and while I have come to accept me I haven't been happy with me and I know that at 47 I cannot continue to take health for granted. So I finally found something that is working for me. I wish that Whitney could/would. I get embarrassed for her in the things she can't do, the way she thinks fat jiggling around looks attractive, and so on. I KNOW my fat doesn't look good. It's why I cover it up and am trying to get rid of as much as I can! Plus size is one thing. Morbidly obese is another. I can call myself plus size but the fact of the matter is that I currently fall under morbidly obese. That said, I have gone from a starting BMI of 50.6 to one of 47.3 and I'm steadily chipping away at it :-)

Thats awesome!

I'm all about how you feel about yourself, if that makes any sense.  Whatever makes you feel pretty and good about yourself is what is going to make you be attractive to the rest of the world (IMO).  

I don't think that anyone feels awesome when their joints are in constant pain, or when they have limited mobility, or when they can't shave their own legs.....or they have to have sex furniture (yeah...thats right, I'm bringing that back up!)

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, RCharter said:

I would love for her to be on that BBC show "Secret Eaters" where they install hidden cameras without her knowing and follow her around 24/7 to find out what she is really eating.  

Ooooo that sounds interesting! Do they do anything "Intervention" style lol

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Stripper Glitter said:

Ooooo that sounds interesting! Do they do anything "Intervention" style lol

its a great show, and you can find it on YT.

So -- here is the basic set up.  They find a person who is like "I have no idea why I'm so fat, I only eat like 1000 calories a day, its so unfair!  genetics!"

And they install cameras in their home, at work, and have them followed by PI's when they are out.

After doing that for a week, they invite the person to a cafe for an informal chat, but surprise! its actually a hidden set and they confront them with all the food that they have eaten over the past week and how many calories it is.

The subjects are all good natured about the whole thing, but it is really eye opening for them as they see that instead of the 1000 calories per day that they say they have been eating, their snaking, extra portions and uncounted calories brings their caloric intake to like 2-3x what they are actually eating.  There will be a nutritionist to explain some of the things, but a lot of these people are really shocked that they are eating so many calories.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Stripper Glitter said:

I will have to check that out.

last OT post, but you really should.  It has increased my belief in the food dairy, because its so easy to forget calories.

• Love 3

I think that the secret car eating refers to keeping it a secret from your family, not the people who may see you in the parking lot.

I had a friend whose dad would go to Burger King on the way home from work, eat a huge meal in secret, then come home and have dinner. (This all came out when he needed surgery)

Don't you see how a lot of the 600 Lb. life people eat in their cars?  Granted, they are being filmed, and it's no longer a secret, but I really think some people don't think it counts if you eat in the car.

also, how many of those 600 Lb life people eat at a table?  Virtually none.  They eat on the sofa, on their laps.  Very sad.

Food is to be enjoyed, shared, prepared with love.  maybe these people never had that.

• Love 6

I think that the secret car eating refers to keeping it a secret from your family, not the people who may see you in the parking lot.

I had a friend whose dad would go to Burger King on the way home from work, eat a huge meal in secret, then come home and have dinner. (This all came out when he needed surgery)

Don't you see how a lot of the 600 Lb. life people eat in their cars?  Granted, they are being filmed, and it's no longer a secret, but I really think some people don't think it counts if you eat in the car.

also, how many of those 600 Lb life people eat at a table?  Virtually none.  They eat on the sofa, on their laps.  Very sad.

Food is to be enjoyed, shared, prepared with love.  maybe these people never had that.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

Reading about your progress here and in another post, I think you should feel highly accomplished and have a deep sense of self-pride, way to go! :)

• Love 9
(edited)

Hell, this woman cannot adhere to anything consistently!   Dancing,  walking,  bikIng, exercising, teaching a class, a real job, etc... 

Whit's history is her future, without serious therapy.  But as long as TLC is around,  Whit Is guaranteed excuses for not doing any kind of work -- professionally or personnel.  

Too bad that she is throwing away a golden opportunity to have significant support to work on being healthy.  

Hell, this woman cannot adhere to anything consistently!   Dancing,  walking,  bikIng, exercising, teaching s class, a real job, etc... 

Whit's history is her future, without serious therapy.  But as long as TLC is around,  Whit Is guaranteed excuses for not doing any kind of work -- professionally or personnel.  

Too bad that she is throwing away a golden opportunity to have significant support to work on being healthy.  

Edited by Tosia
(edited)
21 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

Truth. I could probably do it pretty easy, and if it's in stuff like carbs (which of course are good to eat) then no sweat. She could put away that many calories easy with Starbucks, pizza and/or pasta. I <3 carbs, which is why I am trying very hard to stay away from them unless they're in the form of leafy greens. Whitney could probably lose a lot of weight if she'd just change her eating habits to avoiding refined carbs.

(Yeah, I'm a relatively new convert to that way of eating so I stand on the street corner preaching it lol)

Six years eating that way in September, for me, and I'm still preaching it. At first it's hard, because, bread & pasta.  But then little things start happening, like GERD completely gone, joint pain/inflammation greatly reduced, reversal of pre-diabetes, no more hunger, triglycerides down and HDL up (and no more nagging by my doctor to go on a statin - not that I'd ever), lots of fatty foods and protein.  Oh, and more than 80 lbs. gone.

When I do indulge in sugar or pasta or bread, I have an immediate and very painful flare-up of one of my autoimmune conditions, so falling off the wagon puts me in a position where I'm anxious to climb right back on again just to get rid of the pain.

Edited by flappa1016
  • Love 10

After a busy week, I finally got a chance to catch this episode tonight and I just have to say, Lenny looks like he just crawled out of the woods.  I feel so judgmental saying that, but every time I see him, especially in this episode, he looks absolutely filthy, from the jacket to the hat to the gross, bushy beard.  Each time he's on-screen, I can't help but picture a small cloud of flies following him.  And what a wonderfully classy move to introduce himself to the poor exercise trainer as her "dance partner in the bedroom."  If this entire relationship isn't fake (which I strongly suspect), then Lenny is earning the hell out of his weekly TLC paycheck.  Don't even get me started on the two of them moving in together, to say nothing of Whitney's father interrogating his grown-ass daughter about it.

Also, someone PLEASE tell me that the whole rivalry thing with Katie is staged because it's getting really ridiculous.  "Don't test me, bitch!"  Really?!  In a whole lot of situations with different people, Whitney would get her ass thoroughly kicked for a whole lot less.  

• Love 5

That internship interview was so fake.  I'm sure TLC worked out that "internship" so they could have something to film.  Whitney can do some wacky bits for the radio station and they get free publicity.  I don't believe for a minute that she won that internship over a bunch of other candidates.

There ain't nothin' romantic about Whitney and Lenny!

• Love 7

I'm watching this episode again, with the extra/bonus scene that was left out of the original show. Wow- I don't know why this was scene was edited out.  This should have been shown instead of her rehashing the Kate dance thing.   It was Whit & Lennie discussing Lennie moving in after they left the meeting with Will.  They were driving in Lennie's truck & Whit was discussing how easier it would be if Lennie would join her in changing her/their  lifestyle.  For example, exercising together & cooking at home & not eating out as much as they do now (they both said they eat out at least once a day.) She segued into that cooking & eating at home together would be easier if they lived together.  I think it really surprised Lennie & whit admitted she really didn't mean to start the moving in together conversation then.   He said he was the only renter on his lease, his roommates are technically sub-leasers and all that would have to be changed.  It sounded like his roommates rent covered his rent & he said his livelihood was based on this.  Then Whitney said she loved her house &wanted him to move in there.  Of course, he asked "what about Buddy?" & she said he would still be there.  She went on to say ( in a TH) that Buddy was her best friend & she wanted to live with both of them. Oh my! She also questioned him if they planned on marrying & she even brought up she didn't want to wait too long to have kids.  He kind of dodged her questions by saying moving in together would be the next step but wanted to know if she said anything to Buddy about it yet.   She told him No, that she hadn't even talked to him (Lennie) about it, why would she have said anything to Buddy?  

• Love 2

I cannot imagine my son telling his girlfriend (now his wife), 'Hey, hon, let's live together. And btw, my former girlfriend is gonna live with us. Sounds fun, huh?'  No way on God's green earth. She wouldn't take it and he wouldn't take it if the situation were reversed. He might even consider that they shouldn't be dating, not because of a concern about sex, but a concern that her feelings weren't completely for him. Also, when Whit started talking about marriage and Lennie didn't jump right in with a 'yeah, that's where my mind was going, too,' she needs to rethink the whole thing. It's ok to not want to get married, but if one of the parties thinks the relationship is headed one way and the other party isn't even thinking about it yet, you have to be careful. Lotsa people (women) get hurt that way. 

btw - as far as Glen talking to Whit about living together, if he is giving her any money, I think he has a right to talk to her all he wants. I'm the parent of an adult son, so maybe that's what's talking, but as long as she's not self sufficient, I'm fine with Glen talking to her. If she doesn't want to hear it, she can stop talking toilet paper and lord knows what else, from him. 

I'll give Whit a pass on the back issue. People's backs go out for all kinds of reasons; it doesn't have to be weight-related. I've dropped a kleenex in the trash and had a back spasm. Stuff happens.

• Love 7

Regarding Whit's back issue. .....no mention of seeing a doctor . Even if she knows the doc will talk about her weight. I liked how the trainer,  Will,  called it undiagnosed.  I have thrown my back out a handful of times in the past 30 years, and the doc gave me exercises to be able to straighten up and stretch  it out also. So far so good.  She cd have gotten meds too, if it was that bad. 

When Whit was being soooooo professional (snark)  and laying on the floor at the radio station,  where she was pointing to her back, it also looked like a hip problem. I developed osteoarthritis in my right hip this past year, and I'm 62. She's killing her joints. No more dancing for her. ..or at least limited. I work out 3-4 times a week,  cuz I don't want to be immobile, or need a mobility scooter, yet. 

I also noticed that she  walks up stairs the way I do now--some of the time-- by one foot at a time -like the old bridesmaid walk, where the second foot joins the first foot before moving on down the aisle.  I çan still do the regular stair-walk most of the time.  

Whit is full of BS, all right.   

She had no right to complain abt.the parade,  cuz she set it up.  If I was in that class, I would be heading to a regular Zumba class at my rec center to get some real exercise from a real trainer/ dancer. 

I also call BS on Whit breaking up with Lennie next week. His contRact must have run out with TLC.  

• Love 5

The thing is, we know they don't break up because she just posted on FB the other day about how he's real, etc. Unless they break up and get back together before the season is over.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/6/2016 at 0:25 AM, Stripper Glitter said:

Do you think she has the fortitude to adhere to eating restrictions that come with that surgery?

She won't have a choice for at least the first two years -TV reality series aside, bariatric surgery is like being on a diet you can't cheat on.  You cheat, you puke.

On 7/6/2016 at 0:25 AM, Stripper Glitter said:

Edited by notyrmomma
9 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

She won't have a choice for at least the first two years -TV reality series aside, bariatric surgery is like being on a diet you can't cheat on.  You cheat, you puke.

Not necessarily. I had it done about 18 months ago. Some people (like me) have a relatively easy time of it and never experience "dumping" (caused by too much sugar intake). After the first couple months and everything was healed, I found I could still eat "slider foods" (chips, cookies, chocolate) in large amounts with no real difficulties. Protein (which is the good thing you're supposed to eat the most of) was the hardest to process--which made it easier to turn to carbs. I did puke (fairly often) if I ate too fast, didn't chew enough, or ate something too dry/hard for the first six to nine months. Now I still have trouble occasionally with things like rice or al dente pasta or dry/overcooked proteins, but I can basically eat "normally."

Basically, gastric bypass isn't a magic solution or always as restrictive as people think it is. I actually lost more before surgery while doing all the prep work and dieting in the six month lead up to surgery than I did after the surgery (so far--I'm working on it). It's a good tool, but you still have to watch and count and stay committed to clean eating. For most of us who've been obese since childhood, that's the hard part. Breaking old bad habits and staying motivated.

• Love 4
On 6/29/2016 at 10:17 PM, lovetheduns said:

I think this is the difference between "reality" tv and reality. The radio station had to know that they were going to hire her because honestly I don't know any employer of mine who would willingly be on any tv show. The dance class is solely a story line - it is not "real" and from everything I have researched it is just done when there is filming so those students are paying around $5.00 a class and being filmed. I think that is the "draw"

On her website it does say that classes are $5 unless they are filming in which case the class is free. 

• Love 1