Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Girl Meets Jexica

I love girl meets world, I've watched almost all of the episodes at least twice. Anyway, a long time ago, I heard someone's theory that they're building a depression story line with Riley and her insecurities and I think this episode is supporting that theory.

16 minutes ago, okbyevictoria said:

I love girl meets world, I've watched almost all of the episodes at least twice. Anyway, a long time ago, I heard someone's theory that they're building a depression story line with Riley and her insecurities and I think this episode is supporting that theory.

Could also possibly be a follow-up of sorts to the"Rileytown" episode too

(edited)

No one in that high school class knows what the capital of Minnesota is except Farkle?

And, for someone that cares SO MUCH about what other people think of her to the extent that she makes up a fake profile and fake popular person, I would be mortified to go to school like Riley did in the blue hair and the sword and what was basically a ballerina tutu skirt.

Why does a five year old have an iPad?

Edited by LexieLily

This show sucks and gets worse every episode.

It's been a long time since I watched "Boy Meets World," but I remember Cory Matthews as neurotic but likable. Riley Matthews is a self-absorbed, brain-damaged moron. 

If the show shifts focus to Maya, it would be an improvement. I like the 1930s movie accent she does.

I liked Auggie, Cory, and Topanga's storyline. 

• Love 3

I thought these kids were acting like they were starting middle school, not high school. Being worried about what to put in a school social media site? Like they don't already have Facebook accounts already? Or whatever kids are using instead of Facebook these days.

Although, when Riley said she didn't know what her interests were, I realized I don't either.  Maya at least has art, have we ever heard Riley talk about any interests or goals?

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought these kids were acting like they were starting middle school, not high school. Being worried about what to put in a school social media site? Like they don't already have Facebook accounts already? Or whatever kids are using instead of Facebook these days.

Although, when Riley said she didn't know what her interests were, I realized I don't either.  Maya at least has art, have we ever heard Riley talk about any interests or goals?

This is so ridiculous because kids aren't even on facebook or twitter that much they are on instagram, periscope and snapchat. That's how you can tell this show is written by a bunch of out of touch adults.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, maraleia said:

This is so ridiculous because kids aren't even on facebook or twitter that much they are on instagram, periscope and snapchat. That's how you can tell this show is written by a bunch of out of touch adults.

A teenager told me she and her friends never use Facebook because too many old people use it. Which is how I knew I was old. 

I guess that's why they were saying it was a school-specific social media site. But I don't see kids using something school sponsored, they'd want something independent so the school can't punish them for cyber bullying on it.

So they are continuing the trend of Maya and Riley insisting Lucas has to treat them completely equally in terms of saying nice things. Why hasn't he just said he chooses himself and won't date either of them? Guys should get to "choose me" too. Then they could all move on and be friends again.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

A teenager told me she and her friends never use Facebook because too many old people use it. Which is how I knew I was old. 

I guess that's why they were saying it was a school-specific social media site. But I don't see kids using something school sponsored, they'd want something independent so the school can't punish them for cyber bullying on it.

So they are continuing the trend of Maya and Riley insisting Lucas has to treat them completely equally in terms of saying nice things. Why hasn't he just said he chooses himself and won't date either of them? Guys should get to "choose me" too. Then they could all move on and be friends again.

Kids would never have profiles on a school sponsored site. They want nothing to do with school administrators online. Wow this show has fallen so far off the cliff. Maybe I'm done watching shows focused solely on teenagers. I already stopped watching Degrassi and Lab Rats and this show is next.

No Smackle this episode(or Marley for that matter..wouldve loved seeing her put Riley in her place actually)

that bit with the talking heads seemed kind of random,like it actually belonged on another show

10 hours ago, PreviouslyTV said:

Riley has trouble filing out her official (?) Abigail Adams social profile, so she creates a fake one instead. Related: Riley is going to find life much, much harder than she anticipates.

View the full article

Thank you for explaining the "Satirical Style" heading.

But we already knew special snowflake Riley will not be able to survive in the real world.

The interplay between Cory and Topanga was the best thing in the episode.

(edited)
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Cheerleading, dancing, fingerprinting, STEM, etc. I'm sure if I binge watched the series I would find more.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 2

Based on previews, I didn't think that I was going to like this episode, but it was better than expected.  Being the parent of a tween who would spend all day looking at puppy and kitten videos, I totally got Cory's frustration over the videos and such. Although I did check YouTube and that puppy pizza video is an actual video (I'm surprised my son didn't find it before I did).

I wish they would have gone in a different direction with Auggie and the internet.  I can't imagine someone his age having an email account.  I would have preferred that they focused on the amount of time he spent online watching videos and playing games instead of the scam emails.

• Love 5

The episode was actually really good.  I kind of don't understand the confusion over Auggie having his own ipad or an email address.  I know toddlers who have iphones, its a different generation.  I'm glad the show is acting like it on this issue anyway.  I don't understand what's going on with the older kids though.  Kids Riley and Maya's age would not use a school social website and if they did they wouldn't put anything interesting on it anyway.  They would definitely be using snapchat or instagram.  The whole Jexica subplot was stupid, I ff through almost all of it.  I like that Cory addressed how ephemeral social media is.  But I still have no idea what class he is teaching.  It's supposed to be history right?  

The Cory and Topanga stuff was well done but I'm disappointed them making up was a part of Auggie's dream.  I find it very interesting that anything having to do with BMW its usually well done but everything else is not.  I need the showrunners to stop writing Riley as a bubbleheaded idiot.  She's like a super dumbed down female version of neurotic Cory and I wish there was so much more of Topanga in her.  Why is her self-esteem so low?  I don't think we are getting enough parenting on this show when it comes to Riley.  Auggie gets a lot of it but she's just kind of allowed to go off the deep end every week.  A really big part of my love for BMW was that the adults were adults and parents were parents.  I don't think Alan and Amy or Feeny would allow half the stuff that happens on this show go unchecked.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, maraleia said:

I don't know if they don't actually know this, or if they have a failure of imagination because they don't dare use the name of any real services.

Frankly all they needed to do was invent a fictional one, but of course... not something as lame and stupid as a "school" service. 

15 hours ago, maraleia said:

Kids would never have profiles on a school sponsored site. They want nothing to do with school administrators online. Wow this show has fallen so far off the cliff. Maybe I'm done watching shows focused solely on teenagers. I already stopped watching Degrassi and Lab Rats and this show is next.

I think they might put something REALLY basic there, if such a stupid thing really existed, but then never actually use it.

"High school" is the main problem here. I could imagine younger kids using some shit like a school site/service because at those younger ages they still think doing what Teacher says is cool, that participating is fun, etc. Only later do they become jaded.

16 hours ago, TDT said:

No Smackle this episode(or Marley for that matter..wouldve loved seeing her put Riley in her place actually)

that bit with the talking heads seemed kind of random,like it actually belonged on another show

Marley is the smart alec who sat in class under the window?

Yeah, it makes no sense on this show when there are kids we KNOW should be in that class who suddenly... aren't.

The kid who plays Yogi must be cheap. He's almost always there, even if he usually doesn't get much to say (this week was an exception).

3 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

I already see them setting up Maya's identity crisis storyline. It's not obvious in the episodes, but if you watch closely, it's coming

I so agree. It actually felt really obvious in this ep to me.

I actually liked this episode quite a bit. I usually find the episodes either completely terrible or completely terrible but still endearing but this one was sorta like only half terrible and very endearing imo.

24 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I so agree. It actually felt really obvious in this ep to me.

I actually liked this episode quite a bit. I usually find the episodes either completely terrible or completely terrible but still endearing but this one was sorta like only half terrible and very endearing imo.

You have Riley who is basically telling Maya that she won't land Lucas, that Lucas will fall for Jexica/Riley, high school itself, etc...I think Maya tries to be Riley, doesn't feel right, then goes back to season 1 "hope is for suckers" Maya. 

5 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

The Cory and Topanga stuff was well done but I'm disappointed them making up was a part of Auggie's dream.  I find it very interesting that anything having to do with BMW its usually well done but everything else is not.  I need the showrunners to stop writing Riley as a bubbleheaded idiot.  She's like a super dumbed down female version of neurotic Cory and I wish there was so much more of Topanga in her.  Why is her self-esteem so low?  I don't think we are getting enough parenting on this show when it comes to Riley.  Auggie gets a lot of it but she's just kind of allowed to go off the deep end every week.  A really big part of my love for BMW was that the adults were adults and parents were parents.  I don't think Alan and Amy or Feeny would allow half the stuff that happens on this show go unchecked.

Feeny would have shut half of this foolishness down before it even started. And then he'd go in on Cory for allowing it to happen, lol. Remember how Feeny was with Turner in the HS years?

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, CheetaraThunder said:

You have Riley who is basically telling Maya that she won't land Lucas, that Lucas will fall for Jexica/Riley, high school itself, etc...I think Maya tries to be Riley, doesn't feel right, then goes back to season 1 "hope is for suckers" Maya. 

This is weird, but I actually liked that Riley wasn't all "we both have equal chance with Lucas" in this episode, maybe because I feel the triangle is idiotic. I'd love for Maya to treat Riley the same way, if the show insists on dragging this thing out. Actually, I'd really love for Lucas to meet a new girl and end up dating her, and both Riley and Maya get over him quickly. It's just ridiculous for them to be demanding equal interaction with him. I actually like Lucas as just one of their close friends, but I abhor love triangles, and this "we're going to share him so no one gets hurts" version is even dumber than most. I want them to all go back to being friends again.

Silliness of school-mandated social aside, I actually liked this episode (better than last week's, anyway). It might be that I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm watching a Disney Channel show (and thus has absolutely no basis in reality), but for a Disney Channel show this was pretty okay. My favorite part was Riley's, "I AM THE LEAST DRAMATIC PERSON ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!!" Heh.

• Love 3

Not one of the greatest episodes, but I thought it was light years better than the two-part premiere. (And honestly, I wasn't expecting much from the premiere because I knew it was going to be a transition episode(s), and those are rarely good.) The Mean Girls-style talking heads made me laugh, especially when they pulled Zay out of one.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

I already see them setting up Maya's identity crisis storyline. It's not obvious in the episodes, but if you watch closely, it's coming

You mean where both realize they would rather date each other and kick Lucas to the curb? I'm down for that! Rilya/Maily must live!

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, RandomMe said:

This is weird, but I actually liked that Riley wasn't all "we both have equal chance with Lucas" in this episode, maybe because I feel the triangle is idiotic. I'd love for Maya to treat Riley the same way, if the show insists on dragging this thing out. Actually, I'd really love for Lucas to meet a new girl and end up dating her, and both Riley and Maya get over him quickly. It's just ridiculous for them to be demanding equal interaction with him. 

I so agree with you about this love trIangle crud. I too like Riley being more assertive, I guess is how I would put it when talking about Lucas. It kind of bugged me when they were all talking in Riley's room and he said he knew it was Riley in the profile. Then Maya immediately said, "You said something nice about her, now you have to say something nice about me." What is there a scoreboard somewhere to keep track to be sure they get equal attention from him. Its just ridiculous all around!

I did really enjoy the fact that Zay got some good lines this episode.

• Love 2
On 6/11/2016 at 5:20 PM, RandomMe said:

This is weird, but I actually liked that Riley wasn't all "we both have equal chance with Lucas" in this episode, maybe because I feel the triangle is idiotic. I'd love for Maya to treat Riley the same way, if the show insists on dragging this thing out. Actually, I'd really love for Lucas to meet a new girl and end up dating her, and both Riley and Maya get over him quickly. It's just ridiculous for them to be demanding equal interaction with him.

Was there any spoilers that indicate this will exactly happen..? i.e some new girl transfers to the school or something..

I'm spoiler-free for GMW, so if that does happen it will be a very pleasant coincidence for me. There may be spoilers out that there to that effect, but I've not seen any.

FWIW, my daughter has been in online classes since she was 7, and all of those online portals have social media features/profiles, etc. When kids are enrolled in a class, they are added to the discussion boards for that class under that profile, which lets teachers communicate with the kids and the kids communicate with each other. For example, DD can keep up with assignments and grades, and submit assignments to her instructor via that network. Some assignments require class discussion or contributions to a class project. The local community college has a similar system, even for physical classes. The idea of a school network with profiles for high school, doesn't seem unrealistic. What does seem unrealistic is that Riley was able to set up a fake profile, since the school sites are set up under student ID's.