Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

At first, I liked Neville by default because I hated how mean everyone was to him about his allergies and whatnot.  But now I like him for himself.  He's my favorite, though Poole will always hold a place in my heart.

I also really liked Ruby once I warmed up to her after the first couple of episodes.  I miss her.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, izabella said:

At first, I liked Neville by default because I hated how mean everyone was to him about his allergies and whatnot.  But now I like him for himself.  He's my favorite, though Poole will always hold a place in my heart.

I also really liked Ruby once I warmed up to her after the first couple of episodes.  I miss her.

I ended up liking her a lot too. 

• Like 6

Actually,  I grew tired of the constant cast changes, and searched for a replacement and found a series starring Kris Marshall, called "Murder City" (2004).  In "Murder City" Marshall plays a character similar to DI Goodman. After Series 4 in "Death in Paradise" began with even more new characters, I came back here hoping to read that the series is worth the time investment.  The Formulaic procedural is already difficult to enjoy without the constant cast changes.

• Like 1

I don't really understand what PBS is doing with this show.

It might only be my local station, but all of a sudden Death is on at 10pm on Sat.  Here in the upper midwest that is the time for news and late night talk.

And now we are restarting from S. 1 Epi 1.

Yes it is fun to relive the past but nothing new on the horizon?

Also, endless reruns of the first 11 seasons of Midsommer Murders.  I haven't seen a new Barnaby epi since January.

Has BBC upped the price?

Is PBS in trouble?

2 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

Yes it is fun to relive the past but nothing new on the horizon?

Every new season of Death In Paradise is only 8 episodes and a double length Christmas special.  That's only about 2 months of content.  Since it's such a popular show, local PBS stations that want to run it year-round have to fill out the other 10 months with reruns.  

If it's like last year, there will be a Christmas special in Dec. and the new season will likely debut early 2024 and air until the end of Feb in the UK.  Britbox will get a small exclusive streaming window and then local PBS stations will start to air the new season in Spring of 2024 at the earliest.  (My mom's station gets it that early.  My station doesn't air the new season until summers usually.) 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I just watched the episode with the "preppers" and Neville's good-bye to his girlfriend.  However, over dinner they have a discussion and Neville says that he was burned by his last relationship and that she left the island.  What?  Is he talking about Florence and how he wanted a relationship and she didn't?  That's not being burned, that's being rebuffed in one's advances towards someone they are supervising.  What a revision of the way that relationship went.  Now, if he had a relationship with someone other than Florence and was burned, I apologized as I didn't see those episodes.  But, what I did see was how his obsession towards someone he supervised did not end with him being burned but with Florence being very gracious and understanding while clarifying they would not be having an intimate relationship.

• Like 1

I just finished Series 6, Ep. 6, Where Humphrey decides to stay in London to be with Martha. I think this transition was handled much better than Richard to Humphrey, not the least because Humphrey wasn't killed off. 

I enjoyed the Commissioner overseeing JP. JP was so nervous but did well, and I was delighted he got a good evaluation.

• Like 5

I liked the new Christmas special (it might be the best one yet) Compelling mystery and fun interactions between our core characters. I also really liked Neville's mum. She was so kind to the missing woman's fiance, and she was a hoot with Catherine. Pumped for season 13.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, wanderingstar said:

I liked the new Christmas special (it might be the best one yet) Compelling mystery and fun interactions between our core characters. I also really liked Neville's mum. She was so kind to the missing woman's fiance, and she was a hoot with Catherine. Pumped for season 13.

It hasn't run on PBS yet, has it? 

imdb says "Aired Feb 4, 2024: Kicking off the new series is the show's milestone 100th episode. Commissioner Selwyn Patterson celebrates fifty years of police service, but is left fighting for his life as he's dramatically shot by a mysterious assassin."

The cast list shows everybody's there.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

First episode of season 13 has dropped on BritBox. 

Strong episode to start the new season and celebrate 100 episodes. The mystery was good, and it was great seeing the team back together. I'm mostly meh on Neville, but I really liked him in this episode, particularly his compassion for Alton. Poor Alton's suffering and turmoil really broke my heart.  

Also enjoyed the "are we cool" scene between Naomi and Marlon. I like their partnership and friendship. I wonder if that scene means they're steering away from any romance between those two.

So delighted to see Camille. Sara Martins is still stunningly beautiful. We got a Ruby mention and a photo cameo of Florence! All in all a great start to the season. 

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 6

What about Harry? 

In the episode I watched last night, Neville was taking Harry out to the wild, changed his mind but then ended up losing Harry.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I must've missed something - why was Alton there with a gun in the first place?

The Commissioner in the hospital gave me flashbacks to my gall bladder surgery. Yikes.

Alton said he was planning to use the gun to scare the Commissioner into listening to him. 

Putting on my “knitter annoyed with stupid stereotypes about knitters” hat: when the heck are TV writers going to get with the times and realize hardly anyone knits with straight needles anymore because circulars are so much easier to handle? (This is right up there with the outdated “10 and 2” advice whenever they show someone learning to drive. 10 and 2 stopped being recommended when airbags started breaking arms. 9 and 3 is safer.)

Yeah, I know, it had to be a straight needle to be the murder weapon because a circular would have had the weight of the project on its cable, and the pointed tips would only be 4-5 inches long so wouldn’t have worked as well. But they could have had the murder weapon be sharp scissors or something. Knitters usually have a pair of scissors handy.

• Like 4

I liked this second episode, even though the mystery was just ok. I'm glad they're not just having the Commissioner move on like nothing happened after he was shot. And I'm so glad to see his daughter coming to care for him. 

• Like 2

I like Andrina. I wish she'd stay around.

Spoiler

I think the perps could say they each didn't know that the other did it, too, but they just added a wee bit of the poison just to make him sick.  Who knew they'd ALL do it so it would total a deadly accumulation?

• Like 1
(edited)

I'm also loving the addition of Andrina, particularly how well she was integrated into the case in this episode. And I loved that Selwyn was there for her as she was still reeling from seeing someone die right in front of her.

The reason for the murder was devastating. I was sad for all those women.

I usually roll my eyes at long-lost relatives or friends of the our regular characters, but I became invested in Catherine's friendship with Lucky. Both actors did a good job of infusing the characters' history into the their conversations throughout this episode. I'd love to Catherine to keep in touch with Lucky. Hopefully, she and Dionne and Celeste will receive leniency from the court.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 1

Episode 4: 

A crypto episode! I guess it was inevitable-lol When they were standing in the crypto mining rig and Naomi kept asking “But what does all this stuff do?” I cackled. That’s my ongoing question about crypto, too. 

The mystery in this one was good. I was kept guessing right up until the reveal of the culprit. And I liked that there was a bit more for Darlene to do in this one, with her tie to one of the suspects.

Glad they’re showing Neville slowly starting to put himself out there again, but not fully ready to trust. That said, I'm not sure if *I* trust that SunsetChaser person 😄

• Like 6
(edited)

Absolutely delighted to see JP again! Such a great character. And I loved that he came back to help Marlon get a job.

I've liked Marlon since his introduction in season 10, so I will miss him. He's had a wonderful character arc. 

Solid mystery in this episode, too. Whenever there's only 2 or 3 suspects, you can pretty much guess there will be some kind of twist. I enjoyed seeing Marlon get to lead a bit more on a case, too. I also liked the actor that played Booker.

Wonder who's going to be their new officer.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, wanderingstar said:

Wonder who's going to be their new officer.

Since the preview showed the new officer arriving by boat, I'm voting for Dwayne.  I sure hope so. Out of all the people that have left, I miss him the most.

• Like 3

Episode 6 - Enjoyed seeing Dwayne again. And Florence, too. I sure hope they don't put her with Neville. 

The mystery was solid. That poor young woman finding out her husband and her father killed her mother was brutal.

• Like 4

I’m watching the hen party episode and I started to wonder about logistics.    They were or had checked out of the hotel.  And then had to stay for days for the investigation.  The one friend was already out of money.   So where do they stay ?   Who pays ?   

• Like 2