Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, deaja said:

I feel like they wrote this cute, romantic reuniting story for Season 7 and then realized people wanted L/L to be endgame, so they completely undid it all.

I think the fact that David Sutcliffe was signed for a limited number of episodes in season 7 (13-16?) proves he was never going to be endgame.  Also I'm pretty sure that episodes are planned and written enough ahead of time that they couldn't change that much based on fan feedback if they even wanted to do that. 

• Love 2
On 9/30/2016 at 4:04 PM, Smad said:

This doesn't make any sense. You can't be in favor of L/C as a couple because of their chemistry and then say no to Jess/Rory because he's not likeable enough despite their chemistry. Chris and Jess fall into the exact same category, they treated Lorelai and Rory (or both in Chris' case) like crap. If anything you should be way more pro-Jess than pro-Chris by your definition. Because Jess isn't a deabeat and he was still a child when he screwed up, unlike Christopher.

It makes sense to me, my preference for Lor/Chris isn't just about chemistry. I like Chris a lot. I don't necessarily always agree with him, but because he's a character I enjoy, it's easy to see his viewpoint. Jess I can't stand. He has great chemistry with Rory but his attitude annoys me. Chris is a charming guy, Jess seems to enjoy being antagonistic.

6 hours ago, deaja said:

The first few episodes of Season 7 once C/L start dating are cute and fun. I think L really needs someone more fun like Chris or Digger. I feel like they wrote this cute, romantic reuniting story for Season 7 and then realized people wanted L/L to be endgame, so they completely undid it all.

I agree on both counts. Lorelai seems so happy while they are dating, and their time together in Paris. Then it takes a sharp left turn. It's either Lorelai's self sabotage kicking in, or the producers realized they had to somehow reconcile her with Luke to give fans their happy ending.

• Love 4

Lorelai Planetarium

Lorelai's nervousness about seeing Rory is telling, she knows Rory is going to be hurt. It's sad to see Lorelai be shut out by her daughter again. I am glad they talked it out and Rory explained her side of it.

Logan is right to be mad. Rory is one of them. How she holds on to this average joe attitude when she lives a life of privilege is beyond me. I like that Logan called her out on her hypocrisy, and that he isn't ashamed of who he is. I think season 7 Logan is my favourite Logan.

Chris should have discussed with Lorelai what they were going to do with G.G. before trying to change Rory's room. I understand why Lorelai was protective of that. Still, G.G. needs a room and she needs to be a consideration. This is one time the wacky floor plan of Lorelai's house drives me crazy. That house should have more than two bedrooms.

I love the mature way Lorelai chooses to tell Chris she was going to the hospital to see Luke and April. This is how you act in a serious relationship. Too bad that behaviour couldn't have continued. Loved their scene about the stolen Police t-shirt. It always makes me laugh. Who hasn't had an ex steal a piece of clothing you love?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, deaja said:

The first few episodes of Season 7 once C/L start dating are cute and fun. I think L really needs someone more fun like Chris or Digger. I feel like they wrote this cute, romantic niting story for Season 7 and then realized people wanted L/L to be endgame, so they completely undid it all.

I always wondered about this too, however I never knew how many episodes DS was contacted for. I did notice he was listed as a guest star but many regulars were as well. I had read that LG wanted Christopher for the endgame, but who knows what is true in that whole backstage drama.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

I always wondered about this too, however I never knew how many episodes DS was contacted for. I did notice he was listed as a guest star but many regulars were as well. I had read that LG wanted Christopher for the endgame, but who knows what is true in that whole backstage drama.

Lauren has always been with the party line of the storyline which is the one of 'wish fullfillment', aka mother, father and daughter as family unit. That she was still on that after Rory was out of the house and at college made no sense. But then Lauren never really kept up with the story (she didn't watch the show) so that was the easy answer I think.

2 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Lorelai Planetarium

I understand why Lorelai was protective of that. Still, G.G. needs a room and she needs to be a consideration.

I honestly think it's because Lorelai hadn't even thought about GiGi. So much of early S7 was Lorelai encasing herself in a bubble with Chris that anything that could burst it didn't even enter her mind. IMO the only reason they could even have so much fun during that time was because GiGi was off with grandma/nanny/Sherry. Which in and of itself is highly disturbing. Also lame way to tell the L/C story with as little complication as possible so they can have all the fun. Lorelai didn't give a damn about GiGi the whole time she was with Chris (so much for being a good 'mom' *snort*). And that's sadly something that happens to her whenever she is around him, she reverts back to pre-mom Lorelai with exclusive focus on the guy and nothing else. Her friends and even Rory become an afterthought.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 5

I think Lorelai and Christopher could have been a believable end game with better execution and more than a brief half season. Imo, one reason Chris looked like a realistic choice for Lorelai back in season 2 besides being charming and fun, and besides Lorelai's argument with Luke, is that for a few episodes it appeared that he'd gotten himself together, had a stable job and car, was reliably there for Rory and Lorelai - all pointing to his maturing on his own somewhat. Yeah, maybe it was for Sherry, maybe not, and at any rate, her pregnancy ended that. By season 7 Lorelai and Chris genuinely have some things in common other than high school, a history and a shared background: they've both experienced single parenthood, both had their committed relationships with Luke and Sherry fail, both are working out reconciling difficult relationships with their parents.   Season 7 tries to cope with some of that, especially with regards to Gigi and Chris's sensitivity over Rory, but it seems like lip service (Lorelai just tells him he's changed, when we're not really shown that).  And Lorelai's motivation for giving Chris a try is her rethinking her teenage rebellion? I don't know, it's odd.  And the scenes in French Twist where they're reminiscing about high school remind me of that Friends episode where Monica dates her high school crush, only to discover that he's still a 16-year-old in the body of a 30-year-old man.  I think a better narrative might have given them some acknowledgment that they've each made a bunch of mistakes and are willing to be adults together (while still getting to enjoy banter and have fun together).

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, moonb said:

By season 7 Lorelai and Chris genuinely have some things in common other than high school, a history and a shared background: they've both experienced single parenthood, both had their committed relationships with Luke and Sherry fail, both are working out reconciling difficult relationships with their parents.   Season 7 tries to cope with some of that, especially with regards to Gigi and Chris's sensitivity over Rory, but it seems like lip service (Lorelai just tells him he's changed, when we're not really shown that).

Superficial things really because you have to look deeper. Was Chris really a full fledged parent to GiGi by that point? S5 wasn't that long ago and we were told Chris wasn't a parent to GiGi because he's been traveling and didn't know how to change a diaper. In S6 GiGi was hellspawn. And mostly all we hear is GiGi being with the nanny or grandma even though Chris is a gazllionaire and apprently dosn't work (since we never see him leave or come from work). Not even 2 years have passed between S5 and 7 so can he really be described as a full fledged parent? His realtionship with Sherry isn't even on the same level either. Before she got pregnant they were almost broken up and as we have been told he was traveling for work all the time. That's not even in the same ballpark as L/L who have practically spend every day together and known each other for a decade. And S7 didn't deal with any of the kids stuff. Chris' S7 storyline wasn't about Rory at all (as usual) and they had Lorelai quickly brush off Chris' regrets so the writers could go back to them having fun instead of having to deal with that heavy topic. And Rory was barely involved in S7 C/L. The same with Gigi when the child was constantly shipped off so as not to interfer in all the fun.

And the scenes in French Twist where they're reminiscing about high school remind me of that Friends episode where Monica dates her high school crush, only to discover that he's still a 16-year-old in the body of a 30-year-old man.

But that is L/C's whole realtionship. They usually only connected over 'remember when' stories. Even in the first major episode Chris was in (Christopher Returns) they connected over the story with the crashed Porsche. In WBB Chris brought up the funeral. And that hadn't changed by the time we got to S7. S7 was just a lot of blah blah blah with no substance. Are these two totally incabable of sharing a quiet moment? Is Chris so weak he can't reign in Lorelai when she goes absolutely bonkers like she did a lot in episodes like Go Bulldogs.

And Lorelai's motivation for giving Chris a try is her rethinking her teenage rebellion? I don't know, it's odd.

That was the whole point of her pop tart rant. IMO Lorelai had been depressed since her fallout with Rory and when things ended with Luke she was so messed up that she didn't know what was up and down anymore. To the point where she questioned her own behavior in regards to her parents. Was all the things she did just because her parents would hate it? And that included men. One thing that's always been a topic was Lorelai not marrying Chris. What if her parents were right all along?

• Love 4

Yeah, it would have required a tremendous character arc for Chris, a guy who hasn't changed that much since his first appearance.  And Lorelai reflecting on her compartmentalization tendencies from season 6. In fact, the Lorelai/Chris marriage is so odd precisely because both of them are behaving as though season 2 never even happened. Lorelai is Chris's fantasy and Chris is Lorelai's backup possibility. 

Edited by moonb
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, moonb said:

Yeah, it would have required a tremendous character arc for Chris, a guy who hasn't changed that much since his first appearance.  And Lorelai reflecting on her compartmentalization tendencies from season 6. In fact, the Lorelai/Chris marriage is so odd precisely because both of them are behaving as though season 2 never even happened. Lorelai is Chris's fantasy and Chris is Lorelai's backup possibility. 

It's not odd to me because they ignored S2. I have a major problem with the fact that they ignored WBB. What Chris did in that episode showed once and for all that he doesn't love Lorelai. One part of true love is wanting to see the other person happy, even if it's not with you. When Luke build a chuppah for her to get married under to another guy...that was real love. He just wants to see her happy after all. Chris on the other hand tried to destroy Lorelai's happiness with another man. That is not only the opposite of love, but also the opposite of friendship. That Lorelai still went back to him after that was one of the most baffling things that ever happened on this show (for me anyway). Lorelai really is a moron with no concept of what love actually is and means when it comes to romance.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Smad said:

Lauren has always been with the party line of the storyline which is the one of 'wish fullfillment', aka mother, father and daughter as family unit. That she was still on that after Rory was out of the house and at college made no sense. But then Lauren never really kept up with the story (she didn't watch the show) so that was the easy answer I think.

In the season one outtake, Lauren bloops "that's why I love you" to Luke rather than "that what I love about you" which was the line. She then jokes "show's over" indicating that she knows Lorelai and Luke are end game. 

Lorelai wanted the whole package, but Rory's father was not a required part and frequently was excluded from her definition of package. She passed up too many opportunities for that, and if she had really wanted it, she only needed to half-mention it to Emily who would have made sure it happened. 

Lauren didn't keep up with the story, didn't watch the show, and wasn't generally able to effectively comment on deep character or plot details, but she was in no doubt about Luke as Lorelai's end game.

It's not odd to me because they ignored S2. I have a major problem with the fact that they ignored WBB.

Wow, Smad, I never thought about it that way (all that you said above, didn't want to copy the whole thing.)  That is so true, every word.  I have always hated Christopher and you perfectly articulated why!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Smad said:

It's not odd to me because they ignored S2. I have a major problem with the fact that they ignored WBB. What Chris did in that episode showed once and for all that he doesn't love Lorelai. One part of true love is wanting to see the other person happy, even if it's not with you. When Luke build a chuppah for her to get married under to another guy...that was real love. He just wants to see her happy after all. Chris on the other hand tried to destroy Lorelai's happiness with another man. That is not only the opposite of love, but also the opposite of friendship. That Lorelai still went back to him after that was one of the most baffling things that ever happened on this show (for me anyway). Lorelai really is a moron with no concept of what love actually is and means when it comes to romance.

I found ignoring WBB the weirdest part too. That episode really felt like the point of no return for L/C and Chris as a character. Matching Lorelai and Chris's relationship in S7 with the end of S2 was ok, they still felt they had unfinished business, they missed their chance. But in the intervening time he acted like such scum that Lorelai going back to him after he actively (as in admitted it IN FRONT OF HER) tried to break her and Luke up made her either horribly cruel or plain stupid. Chris with his track record was always going to take advantage of Lorelai being devastated. If Lorelai didn't realise that, then she's a moron or she was deliberately going to the guy who Luke was most insecure about to hit him where it hurt. 

If the writers wanted to play out Chris/Lorelai or even tease them as end game they needed to do it before Luke/Lorelai (or at least before they were on the brink of marriage) and certainly before they vilified Chris. 

• Love 10

I could see why WBB wasn't a disqualifier for Lorelai's own self-protection and romantic interest when his already existing problems (deadbeat dad) wasn't a disqualifier. Emily was far more calculated and vicious and sneaky about the whole thing and by the time that Lorelai slept with Chris, Emily had been a long-time part of Lorelai's life. Even the ep after WBB, Lorelai's analysis was that Emily was the wicked witch who gave the poisoned apple to Chris the Dopey. Already, Lorelai rather correctly found more fault in Emily calculatedly conspiring to break up her and Luke compared to Chris being manipulated by Emily and then, drunkenly bursting into a failure of a rant about how he and Lorelai belong together. I would agree- which pains me to say it because I love Emily and hate Chris. As Rory said, "I can't hate the pathetic." Lorelai decided that Chris was weak and vulnerable and easily manipulated and relegated his flaws to that instead of something dishonest or malicious. Emily somewhat forged the way in putting this incident behind her AND Chris- but I could see how Lorelai already put the incident behind her with regard to Emily, so she had no interest in holding onto her anger at Emily's unwitting accomplice. 

That said, I think that all applied to Lorelai's own feelings of protecting her own heart. That's why Lorelai didn't think she was signing up to have a homewrecker for a boyfriend/husband. I actually think Luke's deep insecurities about Chris were a feature instead of a bug in terms of why Lorelai had to sleep with Christopher THAT NIGHT. IMO, it was partly revenge and a way to absolutely wreck her relationship with Luke because Lorelai knew that this would hurt Luke the most and make Luke feel like a stupid chump for ever trusting that Luke and Lorelai would end up together. Lorelai DID kind of deliberately engineer the "You belong with a guy like Christopher. You go back to being Lorelai Gilmore and I'll go back to being the guy who pours your coffee" self-loathing.

5 hours ago, Melancholy said:

That said, I think that all applied to Lorelai's own feelings of protecting her own heart. That's why Lorelai didn't think she was signing up to have a homewrecker for a boyfriend/husband. I actually think Luke's deep insecurities about Chris were a feature instead of a bug in terms of why Lorelai had to sleep with Christopher THAT NIGHT. IMO, it was partly revenge and a way to absolutely wreck her relationship with Luke because Lorelai knew that this would hurt Luke the most and make Luke feel like a stupid chump for ever trusting that Luke and Lorelai would end up together. Lorelai DID kind of deliberately engineer the "You belong with a guy like Christopher. You go back to being Lorelai Gilmore and I'll go back to being the guy who pours your coffee" self-loathing.

And that's why I hate how Lorelai had the nerve to act all hurt and heartbroken when he said that. Especially after how she said she wanted it to be over. Seriously, what did she think he would do? Just be content to sit around and twiddle his thumbs, waiting for her to stop being such a moron?!

20 hours ago, voiceover said:

Last week the finale was on twice.  And I cried at Luke's "...just want to see you happy" both times.  

That was a perfect last ep/last kiss.

Well...I wouldn't say "perfect". What would have made it perfect Is if she verbally acknowledged that he had always been there for her even when she treated him like garbage, and owning up to her role in the whole breakup.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

Personally, I don't think the sex with Christopher was for revenge at least not consciously. I think Lorelai just fell back into her bad habit of using him for comfort when she was upset.

Like in "Christopher Returns" that I watched today in Season 1. Yeah, ASP seems to go there.

1 hour ago, Sara2009 said:

Personally, I don't think the sex with Christopher was for revenge at least not consciously. I think Lorelai just fell back into her bad habit of using him for comfort when she was upset.

See, I actually didn't mind that. I'm ok with what Lorelai does here because it fits a pattern. My main issue with it is that I see it as cheating as discussed in the S6 thread. If I leave that issue aside however, this action doesn't make me hate Lorelai. If the showrunners would have left it at that (Lorelai using Chris for comfort) and then have her deal with the wreck of her life I would have been fine with S7 and Lorelai.

But S7 made me hate Lorelai so much. Biggest problem of course is her rewarding deadbeat. Excluding everyone from her little bubble to the point where she only wants to spend time with anyone other than Chris if he doesn't call first (this of course during their dating phase). That she trash talked Luke constantly, a guy who had been her faithful lapdog for 10 freaking years. I get being angry and blowing off steam. But you lose the right to diss an otherwise decent guy when you are dating the deadbeat who neglected your daughter and has messed your life up before too. That she even takes Dopey back after the WBB fiasco is like I said absolutely baffling to me. That she continued to blame the failure of the L/L realtionship solely on Luke. She still even did that in the Series Finale.

• Love 11

I didn't really have a problem with Lorelai bashing Luke, and if he had done the same to/about her,I would have been okay with that too. Their relationship had been awful for months before the break-up, and then ended really badly. IMO, it makes sense that there was a lot of residual anger and hurt. People don't usually focus on the good in people when they're angry. Lorelai obviously knew Luke was a decent man because she wrote a nice character reference for him later on.

But I actually liked season 7 for the most part.

Edited by Sara2009
  • Love 1

Knit, People, Knit!

The show continues it's bias against home births, apparently it is not just a Palladino-ism. 

Paris and Doyle dancing is hilarious. I am kinda amused that Paris is the one woman on this show with the best romantic relationship.

Jackson's advice about commitment is spot-on. I wish Chris would have taken his advice more seriously. It's easy to stay committed when everything is great, the test comes when your SO pisses you off, as we will see in the next episodes.

I don't like how the townies treated Chris, and Lorelai being ok with their judgement. I know they mean a lot to her and have always had her back, which makes their attitude even stranger. I thought it was sweet of Chris to try to be friendly with the townies for Lorelai. 

Marty continues to annoy. His flirting with Rory who a.) has shown no interest in him romantically and b.) is good friends with his girlfriend make the whole thing feel icky.

Anna had a point in being upset that Luke made promises to April, especially because we see how spazzy April gets when she doesn't get her own way. Anna and Luke should talk about things before either of them promises the kid anything. I am glad Luke finally stood up to Anna about April, it was long overdue. I wish he had done it in a less angry way but that seems to be his style.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Eh, I don't have any problems with how the townies treated Chris in S7. No one was rude or hostile to him. No one said unkind things. They properly provided the welcome wagon. Hell, they were a little internally disappointed but no one even yelled at him for being a fucking moron who doesn't understand how charitable drives work. They just weren't en masse in love with him and enthusiastic about the match. I think that's entirely their prerogative. People have obligations to not be rude or mean to a newcomer. However, no one has an obligation to fall in love with a person or a match. I don't know where Lorelai gets off throwing a tantrum that the welcome wagon wasn't as big as she wanted it to be or Miss Patty didn't hit on Christopher because of her enthusiasm. Lorelai isn't entitled to frenetic adoration of her choices every minute of every day. 

I could concede that Anna has a point that parents should discuss plans before promising vacations away to kids. However, it's merely a point in abstraction about how parenting should GENERALLY proceed. The same rule cuts both ways. If we're applying that general rule, Anna was WAY out of line in unilaterally deciding to move April across the country while deliberately making no provisions for Luke to have visitation and downright tapping her foot in impatience with Luke was trying to wrap his head around the situation actually while EMPATHIZING with Anna's need to care for her mother. I'd argue that Anna was so out of line in unilateral parenting that it renders Luke offering to host April on vacations into something that's perfectly fine by contrast. If parents should consult with each other before making big promises to kids, it applies to both. 

I think Anna was so horrible and hurt Luke so badly that Luke was downright restrained in Knit People Knit. I don't know how he didn't resort to calling her names with lots of bad words in them or bitching about her to all and sundry. I think most people would do that if they were in Luke's Timberland boots. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 10
20 hours ago, Melancholy said:

Eh, I don't have any problems with how the townies treated Chris in S7. No one was rude or hostile to him. No one said unkind things. They properly provided the welcome wagon. Hell, they were a little internally disappointed but no one even yelled at him for being a fucking moron who doesn't understand how charitable drives work. They just weren't en masse in love with him and enthusiastic about the match. I think that's entirely their prerogative. People have obligations to not be rude or mean to a newcomer. However, no one has an obligation to fall in love with a person or a match. I don't know where Lorelai gets off throwing a tantrum that the welcome wagon wasn't as big as she wanted it to be or Miss Patty didn't hit on Christopher because of her enthusiasm. Lorelai isn't entitled to frenetic adoration of her choices every minute of every day. 

I could concede that Anna has a point that parents should discuss plans before promising vacations away to kids. However, it's merely a point in abstraction about how parenting should GENERALLY proceed. The same rule cuts both ways. If we're applying that general rule, Anna was WAY out of line in unilaterally deciding to move April across the country while deliberately making no provisions for Luke to have visitation and downright tapping her foot in impatience with Luke was trying to wrap his head around the situation actually while EMPATHIZING with Anna's need to care for her mother. I'd argue that Anna was so out of line in unilateral parenting that it renders Luke offering to host April on vacations into something that's perfectly fine by contrast. If parents should consult with each other before making big promises to kids, it applies to both. 

I think Anna was so horrible and hurt Luke so badly that Luke was downright restrained in Knit People Knit. I don't know how he didn't resort to calling her names with lots of bad words in them or bitching about her to all and sundry. I think most people would do that if they were in Luke's Timberland boots. 

The townies have been shown previously to enable and support her behaviour. So it feels a little off. They were perfectly civil but Lorelai is used to them being in love with everything she does. I can defend Chris about his donation. They were all complaining how cold it was and how they weren't go to make their goal. He was trying to be nice, not knowing the lunacy of saving a bridge through knitting and complaining.

I think Anna is so used to being April's sole parent that she doesn't think to include Luke in decisions. It makes sense regarding her single mom status, she hasn't learned to co-parent yet. Luke's attitude with Anna in season 6 was so chill, that's when he should've called her out for keeping April a secret.

I don't know if it is the actor, or just the character of Luke but whenever there is a conflict, he speaks in an angry, confrontational way. When you get defensive with someone, they are prone to be just as hostile, and that's not a good idea when discussing the welfare of their child.

• Love 3

I'm really enjoying the season 7 discussion here, though I haven't chimed in too much.  I'm on Farewell, My Pet right now, but having seen the whole season multiple times I've been reflecting on my thoughts about it.

I think the biggest problem with season 7 is how rushed Lorelai's story is.  She and Chris don't earn their breakup, IMO.  (And this coming from someone who didn't want them together).  I mean, first marriage for Loreali and she's going to give up that easily?  Doesn't seem right.  Then they rush throwing Luke and Lorelai back together, while making sure to throw last minute obstacles in their way (like Luke overhearing karaoke didn't mean anything) and having Lorelai stupidly question Luke's devotion to her so there can be some silly "will they or won't they" going into the finale.  

That being said, I think the writers were in a bind with David Sutcliffe being signed up for half of S7 and the happenings of the S6 finale.  And I do appreciate their effort to bring Luke and Lorelai back together even though it wasn't that well done, IMO.  (They certainly didn't earn it.)  

As I've noted here before, I think the writers did a fine job with keeping the feel of the show and the fun dialogue.  I also marvel at their ability to write that finale not knowing for sure if it was the series finale....the final scene pull out shot is sooo perfect.  

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:10 PM, Melancholy said:

. Lorelai isn't entitled to frenetic adoration of her choices every minute of every day. 

I don't think Lorelai would agree with you. :)

On 10/5/2016 at 0:23 PM, cantbeflapped said:

I'm really enjoying the season 7 discussion here, though I haven't chimed in too much.  I'm on Farewell, My Pet right now, but having seen the whole season multiple times I've been reflecting on my thoughts about it.

I think the biggest problem with season 7 is how rushed Lorelai's story is.  She and Chris don't earn their breakup, IMO.  (And this coming from someone who didn't want them together).  I mean, first marriage for Loreali and she's going to give up that easily?  Doesn't seem right.  Then they rush throwing Luke and Lorelai back together, while making sure to throw last minute obstacles in their way (like Luke overhearing karaoke didn't mean anything) and having Lorelai stupidly question Luke's devotion to her so there can be some silly "will they or won't they" going into the finale.  

That being said, I think the writers were in a bind with David Sutcliffe being signed up for half of S7 and the happenings of the S6 finale.  And I do appreciate their effort to bring Luke and Lorelai back together even though it wasn't that well done, IMO.  (They certainly didn't earn it.)  

As I've noted here before, I think the writers did a fine job with keeping the feel of the show and the fun dialogue.  I also marvel at their ability to write that finale not knowing for sure if it was the series finale....the final scene pull out shot is sooo perfect.  

I agree, it's what makes me doubt that they knew this was the last season. It feels like midway through they decided to wrap up the story, whether that was from the network or somewhere else is anyone's guess. Season 7 gets a lot of criticism but I think they did a good job with what they were left with. Season 6 is much worse, imo with the separation of the two lead characters, and the secret kid plotline.

• Love 3

Merry Fisticuffs 

Christopher's behaviour shows how insecure he is. I am glad Emily gave Lorelai a heads up, she definitely needed it. I did like that Lorelai reminded Chris of how much hard work went into raising Rory. Most of the time she downplays it, which always bugs me. 

It's not cool for Anna to stop April from seeing her dad. I don't think Luke did threaten her, though he was aggressive, and she may have felt threatened. There's no proof that Luke would kidnap April or anything, so this feels very spiteful on Anna's part. 

Santa's Secret Stuff

Lol at Michel's snarky attitude with Luke. Also cute was Davey and Lorelai's "magic socks", and the monkey, monkey underpants stream of consciousness. 

I am glad that Lorelai listened to Emily and let Chris is on some of the xmas traditions. Of course, the character reference undoes all of that. It bums me out. Chris is happy and trying to enjoy their first Christmas as a family, and she is hiding things from him. Lorelai hasn't learned anything from the other times she kept secrets and had it blow up in her face. 

I don't like the symbolism of Lorelai leaving her family to do something nice for Luke. She finally has her whole package: husband, kid, stepkid, and instead puts someone else's family above them. But it snows so we are supposed to see this as a good thing. 

I have said before how I don't like the retcon of Luke as a surrogate father to Rory. It goes against what we saw in the earlier seasons. Something that is consistent is Lorelai feeling appreciation/love for Luke because he is nice to her kid. It was the same with her proposal, it's all about Rory. It bothers me because I have seen this before on other tv shows (and in real life). 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, hippielamb said:

I don't like the symbolism of Lorelai leaving her family to do something nice for Luke. She finally has her whole package: husband, kid, stepkid, and instead puts someone else's family above them. But it snows so we are supposed to see this as a good thing. 

Although, I don't believe that merely writing a character reference letter is Lorelai putting another family above hers. A good marriage doesn't require that Lorelai refuse to perform any good deed for others, including merely writing a letter and mailing it off. Writing a letter is such a distant, convenient favor that demanded relatively little of Lorelai's time and no time with Luke beyond him asking the favor. The character reference letter seems threatening and like Lorelai putting Luke before Christopher if you believe that Lorelai DOESN'T have the whole package. That Lorelai may have a husband, but it's not the husband with whom she really wants to spend the rest of her life. 

• Love 5

I have to agree with Melancholy.  Spending an hour writing a reference and then walking it to the mailbox is hardly leaving her family. It's no different than doing a favor for anyone else in the community.  It's not like she left some big family gathering to have dinner with him.  

Married people don't need to be joined at the hip and Lorelai had been living the single life for, well, forever.  No matter how gaga you are about your new spouse you are still allowed private moments.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, hippielamb said:

I have said before how I don't like the retcon of Luke as a surrogate father to Rory. It goes against what we saw in the earlier seasons.

I agree with this.  But surrogate father aside, Luke was consistently involved in their lives for the last 8-10 years while Christopher was not.  This episode felt like Lorelai was missing her life the way it used to be and not being comfortable with the way it was now.  Not so surprising even if she didn't still have feelings for Luke and wasn't engaged to him 7 months ago.  

16 hours ago, hippielamb said:

She finally has her whole package: husband, kid, stepkid, and instead puts someone else's family above them.

Actually what she did was put her old life (friendship with Luke) above her new life.

On 10/5/2016 at 0:23 PM, cantbeflapped said:

I think the biggest problem with season 7 is how rushed Lorelai's story is.  She and Chris don't earn their breakup, IMO.  (And this coming from someone who didn't want them together).  I mean, first marriage for Loreali and she's going to give up that easily?

To me, it felt more like their marriage was rushed than the breakup.  I guess I've seen too many people rush right into something with someone new when a relationship ends only to have it fall apart before the year is up.  I know they had contract limitations to work with but will always wish GG could have had a more fulfilling final season.  It just took Lorelai a while to realize she was running away from something rather than towards something when she married Chris.

• Love 1

I actually think that Chris's suspicions that Lorelai isn't truly wholeheartedly in the relationship and still has feelings for Luke is all very well-founded and accurate. AND YET, I also think that Lorelai took marriage seriously and she was working hard to completely move onto Chris and make this marriage work. Lorelai is SO attracted to Chris and ready to fall in love with him (even though something always stops the falling). While Lorelai may end up lying which rightfully infuriates people, I think there's a lot of emotional honesty to Lorelai. It makes me think that if Chris was more chill and took Lorelai's Luke-friendship (with its romantic history) more in stride with more trust and didn't let it stop him from being a true complete husband to Lorelai, Lorelai could have moved onto Christopher completely once and for all. Because Lorelai was working towards it. It wasn't like she was a cheater or didn't care about Chris. I'll get down on how Lorelai was resistant to celebrating the marriage or didn't invite Rory to the wedding or was resistant to Chris's attempts to introduce his own traditions and stuff or did stuff like postponed Gigi's Christmas for Rory. However, nothing was improper about Lorelai's conduct towards Luke during Lorelai's and Christopher's marriage. She just has all of this history, including RECENT history, that Christopher knew about. 

This is one area where I can see Chris's POV. Lorelai wasn't a full wife to him. However, I do have this emotional (perhaps unreasonable) opinion that since Chris owes Lorelai so much and since Chris, by his own admission, knew that he was marrying Lorelai on the rebound and a Lorelai who was firmly ensconced in this whole live that she's built and chosen since they were 16, Chris should have been more understanding and cool about biding his time to turn the rebound into a full marriage. I mean, it's not unreasonable when it comes to Chris's behavior after Richard's heart-attack. Perfectly example of how Chris could have not taken the low road for once which was a road that only led to distance from Lorelai. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 4

I'll just go back to Lorelai's own words. Chris was the man she wanted to want. Because that would have made her able to fully move on and be with him completely, ie buying a house, having another child. But he wasn't who she wanted. Her mind can say it all it wants but ultimately it was her heart that spoke the truth.

• Love 4

Chris should have been more understanding and cool about biding his time to turn the rebound into a full marriage.

And maybe have waited more than 4 minutes to start pushing for another child and then acting like a deprived toddler when she didn't immediately cave in and agree.  Did he think that knocking her up would trump Luke AND seal the marriage at the same time?

• Love 4

You'd think Chris would be particularly attuned to the sadness and danger of bringing a child into the world with the hopes of raising him/her in a two-parent loving home but then, to see it broken with divorce and abandonment. You'd think Chris would be more cautious about having a baby to save a marriage in danger (according to his thoughts) because it's a big problem if that doesn't work and Chris lived through that with Gigi/Sherri. IMO, Chris is fundamentally emotionally detached and that's what makes him unable to really internalize life lessons. Chris *does* grow and he becomes a more stable, prosperous person. However despite how life and luck conspired to teach him lessons but then give him plenty resources to comfortably learn those lessons, Christopher fundamentally doesn't mature on a deeper level. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lulu1960 said:

I'll just go back to Lorelai's own words. Chris was the man she wanted to want. Because that would have made her able to fully move on and be with him completely, ie buying a house, having another child. But he wasn't who she wanted. Her mind can say it all it wants but ultimately it was her heart that spoke the truth.

Agree that her words should help me figure this out, but they've always left me scratching my head.  But maybe looking at it in the context of season 7 only does make it make a bit more sense.  I've always looked at it like "I've always wanted to want you" and that doesn't make sense.  Like since she was sixteen she has wanted to want  him?  Why?  To please her parents?  Just never made sense.  But looking at it like, "I want to want you because I'm married to you" ...that makes a bit more sense.  

12 hours ago, Melancholy said:

Although, I don't believe that merely writing a character reference letter is Lorelai putting another family above hers. A good marriage doesn't require that Lorelai refuse to perform any good deed for others, including merely writing a letter and mailing it off. Writing a letter is such a distant, convenient favor that demanded relatively little of Lorelai's time and no time with Luke beyond him asking the favor. The character reference letter seems threatening and like Lorelai putting Luke before Christopher if you believe that Lorelai DOESN'T have the whole package. That Lorelai may have a husband, but it's not the husband with whom she really wants to spend the rest of her life. 

It's the symbolism that I object to. We see Chris with his girls decorating cookies and enjoying family time. Lorelai is away from them upstairs, typing and then she leaves them to mail the letter that is for Luke. It's a big sign that she isn't considering what the character reference will do to her marriage and home life. There's a nice acting moment from Lauren in the next episode when Luke calls her after the custody hearing. She squeezes her eyes shut for a second when it finally dawns on Lorelai what writing that letter has done to her marriage.

Writing a character reference for someone is a nice thing. But when you factor in Christopher's feelings (which Lorelai did not) and the fact that she knowingly hid it from him, she is making a choice of putting Luke before her husband. The whole dramafest could have been avoided if she had been honest that she was in contact with Luke and told Chris about his request. It's a real abrupt change from a couple episodes ago where Lorelai told Chris about April being in the hospital and that she saw Luke. 

• Love 1

To Whom it May Concern 

Lorelai and Christopher's hair conditioner talk is cute, then it falls apart by the end of the episode. I wish he hadn't run out but I get why Chris is hurt. Apparently it is a Gilmore trait to keep secrets from your spouse. I would have loved to see Emily's reaction if she found out why Chris was so mad. 

It's nice to see Lorelai running after Sookie and being the supportive one for a change. And to remember the good things about babies, it's on her mind. I know they had to write in Melissa's pregnancy but wish they did it a different way, like the vasectomy failed or something wacky. This just makes Jackson dishonest and inconsiderate. Something I never would have thought of him prior to this episode. Bummer all the way round. 

The court preceding feels very tv like. They had no mediator so things didn't have to go to a judge. And April apparently isn't even consulted on what she wants. Anna has some real hostility to Luke that seems less about April and more about something else. I honestly had no idea what she was thinking. She accepted financial support from Luke, and encouraged a relationship between him and April. Now she has cut off ties and allowed it to get to a judge. It's hard to sympathize with her in these last few episodes. 

I'd Rather be in Philadelphia 

Rory and Richard's shared look while Emily and Lorelai argue is perfect. I also smiled at all the things Rory brought to the hospital room. Logan and Rory are pretty cute in this episode. Even Lorelai finally notices that Logan genuinely cares about her daughter.

Oh, Emily. She really pulled on my heartstrings with her breakdown in the gift shop. Also her scene with Richard. He knows that her fussing and taking care of business matters is how she shows her love. I love that she has Lorelai's back when things get heated, especially because she is under stress worrying about Richard. I love those few moments when we see her act supportive of Lorelai. 

I feel bad for Chris too. Obviously, shutting your phone off is a bad decision. But coming to the hospital and seeing his wife talking to the guy they had fought about must have hurt. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Melancholy said:

I actually think that Chris's suspicions that Lorelai isn't truly wholeheartedly in the relationship and still has feelings for Luke is all very well-founded and accurate. AND YET, I also think that Lorelai took marriage seriously and she was working hard to completely move onto Chris and make this marriage work. Lorelai is SO attracted to Chris and ready to fall in love with him (even though something always stops the falling). While Lorelai may end up lying which rightfully infuriates people, I think there's a lot of emotional honesty to Lorelai. It makes me think that if Chris was more chill and took Lorelai's Luke-friendship (with its romantic history) more in stride with more trust and didn't let it stop him from being a true complete husband to Lorelai, Lorelai could have moved onto Christopher completely once and for all. Because Lorelai was working towards it. It wasn't like she was a cheater or didn't care about Chris. I'll get down on how Lorelai was resistant to celebrating the marriage or didn't invite Rory to the wedding or was resistant to Chris's attempts to introduce his own traditions and stuff or did stuff like postponed Gigi's Christmas for Rory. However, nothing was improper about Lorelai's conduct towards Luke during Lorelai's and Christopher's marriage. She just has all of this history, including RECENT history, that Christopher knew about. 

IMO they could have made it work if it weren't for Lorelai's inability to compromise and Chris' inability to understand that. It had nothing to do with Luke. Lorelai seemed to have resigned herself early in the Seaosn that Chris was it (her shudder when she called him always signified that to me). And she was determined to stay in the marriage because she takes marriage so seriously and she was trying to move on. Her conduct with Luke was perfectly fine throughout the marriage. The reason why Chris' POV takes such a u-turn has nothing really to do with Luke. First Chris is fine with Lorelai going to the hospital because Luke is a non-entity and non-rival to him. And suddenly that changes. IMO his sudden change was a direct result of Lorlai not wanting to compromise. She didn't want to leave SH, didn't want to get a new house, didn't want the wedding party etc.. Chris thinks it's because she still loves Luke so he suddenly starts seeing an enemy everwhere that doesn't actually exist. And no matter how many times Lorelai practically throws herself at his feet and says she chose him, Chris just won't accept what she is saying as truth. Because the scenario that he had thought up in his head told him differently. If Lorelai had only communicated to him that she wants to stay in SH etc. simply because she likes things her way and had a hard time compromising they might have been ok. Though you would think as the person who supposedly knows Lorelai best, Chris should have been aware of this major character flaw of Lorelai's.

If Lorelai had only communicated to him that she wants to stay in SH etc. simply because she likes things her way and had a hard time compromising they might have been ok. Though you would think as the person who supposedly knows Lorelai best, Chris should have been aware of this major character flaw of Lorelai's.

Well said, smad.  Christopher remained a petulant toddler throughout the entire series.  It was always "my way or the highway" with him - when Lorelai didn't want the party he threw his little tantrum, pouting and fussing. I wanted to smack him. And, as always, he throws money around and plans on purchasing a huge house as if to buy her off when she'd make a life in SH and loved it there.  

Lorelai was a possession to be bought off and forced to accept his life style, not a life partner whose feelings and desires should be considered.  Attention must be paid to him at all times - he even made sure that she spent as little time possible with any of her SH friends by abruptly ending the knitathon and getting her back into his sphere.

2 hours ago, Smad said:

. First Chris is fine with Lorelai going to the hospital because Luke is a non-entity and non-rival to him. And suddenly that changes. IMO his sudden change was a direct result of Lorlai not wanting to compromise.

Ooooh, this really makes sense to me.  They did hammer us over the head with Lorelai not being as " all in" as Christopher (or as you said, not compromising).  This helps me understand Chris's role in the breakup a little more.   Still scratching my head over Lorelai.  She seemed pretty convincing to me when she told Chris she didn't love Luke.  If we only had thought bubbles to see what she was thinking during that darn dog funeral!!

8 hours ago, hippielamb said:

It's the symbolism that I object to. We see Chris with his girls decorating cookies and enjoying family time. Lorelai is away from them upstairs, typing and then she leaves them to mail the letter that is for Luke. It's a big sign that she isn't considering what the character reference will do to her marriage and home life. There's a nice acting moment from Lauren in the next episode when Luke calls her after the custody hearing. She squeezes her eyes shut for a second when it finally dawns on Lorelai what writing that letter has done to her marriage.

Writing a character reference for someone is a nice thing. But when you factor in Christopher's feelings (which Lorelai did not) and the fact that she knowingly hid it from him, she is making a choice of putting Luke before her husband. The whole dramafest could have been avoided if she had been honest that she was in contact with Luke and told Chris about his request. It's a real abrupt change from a couple episodes ago where Lorelai told Chris about April being in the hospital and that she saw Luke. 

I don't even know if there's deliberate symbolism that Lorelai is putting another family over her own. I don't exactly get this message from the series that Christopher was right to have the reaction that he did over the letter or that a wife can't help a friend who badly needs it if it will hurt her husband's feelings. It's entirely possible that Lorelai's character-reference writing is positioned against the Hayden-Gilmore Christmas scenes because Lorelai is engaging in the true meaning of Christmas- kindness and generosity. The spirit of Christmas isn't just decorating cookies- it's also being a good person. 

Lorelai was wrong to hide the character reference. However, actually, I don't think Lorelai hiding it is her putting Luke ahead of Christopher. I think Lorelai has an absolute right to write Luke a character-reference. It's an hour to write something nice that will be read in open court. There's patently nothing adulterous about that. The situation is also dire because Anna committed a MAJOR injustice against Luke and April and time is of the essence to straighten out the custody. Christopher's delicate fees-fees mean nothing in the background of all of this. Lorelai shouldn't have hid the reference but Lorelai wasn't putting Luke before Chris so much as trying to do something necessary while sparing Christopher's feelings by not telling him about him because she had a suspicion that Chris would freak out or get involved in critiquing the language. There's a "You can't handle the truth!" because Lorelai necessarily has to praise Luke for his loyalty to her family and steadfast meaningful help and kindness to get across that he can provide that to April. Chris necessarily suffers by comparison in those stakes and Lorelai has always been very careful to tap-dance around any feelings of inadequacy of Chris even if they're true.

• Love 3

The scene of Lorelai leaving her new family and walking out in the dark and snow to mail the reference felt very, very significant, in my opinion.  I guess you don't have to call it symbolism, but you could, I think.  I'm sure you've all noticed the song that was playing, "I'll Be Home for Christmas" ...the only sad and melancholy Christmas song I can think of.  (I learned for the first time on GG forums that this was written about World War Two soldiers not being home for Christmas, thus the "only in my dreams" part.  It's a song about not being able to be two places at once...a song of longing too...I could be reading too much into it though).  

Anyways, I don't think Loreali did anything wrong I writing the reference, besides hiding it from Chris.  But I do think that scene (by far the most memorable from the episode, IMO) is supposed to communicate some important things to the viewers.  

Also, this may sound cheesy, but given Lorelai's relationship with snow I wonder if there is some significance to it starting to snow as she closes the mailbox...maybe a sad irony.  I could be giving the season 7 writers too much credit for continuity though. 

Edited by cantbeflapped
  • Love 1

I agree that the scene is memorable and significant but I don't see just one interpretation- "Lorelai is wrongly putting Luke ahead of her family." Certainly I object to the "wrongly" part because one way or another, I don't think the series ultimately landed on a note that Lorelai was wrong to write the character reference whether it's on a "Lorelai and Luke belong together" level or a "Lorelai shouldn't have to give up on her whole old life and connections as a price of being married to Chris" level. I'm even a Luke/Lorelai fan but I'm inclined to the latter interpretation because it's an important point about marriage. 

With the snow and the song, I do think there's supposed to be something beautiful about it and some indication that Lorelai is actually moving *toward* the true meaning of Christmas- kindness and generosity to old friends and reaching towards "home" which is the integration of your most complete self as well as providing Luke help as Luke secures his own home/family.  

I wonder if Luke asked Jess for a reference. I think that letter would be more persuasive than the one from Lorelai. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cantbeflapped said:

Ooooh, this really makes sense to me.  They did hammer us over the head with Lorelai not being as " all in" as Christopher (or as you said, not compromising).  This helps me understand Chris's role in the breakup a little more.   Still scratching my head over Lorelai.  She seemed pretty convincing to me when she told Chris she didn't love Luke.  If we only had thought bubbles to see what she was thinking during that darn dog funeral!!

Or both her and Luke's thoughts when they looked sadly at each other through the dinner window. 

Definitely agree about that scene not signifying that Lorelai was wrong to write the reference.  I'm a Luke/Lorelai fan too, Melancholy...sounds like we're in a similar place on this.  I didn't want Chris and Loreali together, but I want their break up to make sense...and it doesn't to me.  This discussion is helping some, though.  

3 hours ago, Melancholy said:

I wonder if Luke asked Jess for a reference. I think that letter would be more persuasive than the one from Lorelai. 

I don't know; they rarely mention Jess in season 7, besides when Liz is comparing Jess to Doula. He doesn't even get an invite to Doula's birth, presumably. Not even a line about how Jess can't come but she still wants her family there, or whatever TJ told Luke over the phone. We know Luke asked Liz and she wrote a bad one. I would have thought the next person to ask would be Jess, but I guess it's possible that Luke wanted someone that has known him and been in his life for many years, which was Lorelai (and we don't know how much Luke had seen Jess before season 2). Also, plot device. 

I'm almost done season 7 now so I can chime in on the Lorelai/Christopher stuff. Christopher was definitely extremely jealous of Luke but I mean, he wasn't wrong. Christopher has always been selfish and very much living in a fantasy world, with everyone letting him. He rarely accounts for his actions and they mostly get swept under the rug. He did push her a lot this season because I can see that he was afraid of losing the fantasy that was finally playing out. He wanted everything this season but this time around, there was a chance to get it. 

I think they tried to somewhat redeem Christopher when he did apologize to Lorelai and acknowledge his wrongdoings, at least from this season. He said that he knew that he pushed her too much and that he was jealous of Luke and he knew this wasn't working. I mean, it finally takes him 20+ years to do some sincere apologizing, but it's finally happened. He was in the wrong for freaking out about the character reference, though. No matter how insecure and jealous he was feeling about Lorelai's feelings for Luke, it shouldn't blow up over something that Lorelai was doing for Luke and his daughter. It wasn't just for Luke. Sure, there could have been part of her that did it because of her feelings for Luke. But what Christopher seemed to forget was that Lorelai was friends with Luke long before they were together, so she probably was doing this for her friend, the one she stopped talking to because of Christopher (as well as the awkwardness of their break-up too). 

But I do think that Christopher's insecurities were heightened when he realized that Lorelai was so hesitant on compromising and allowing them to move forward as a married couple. I could even see that she wasn't all in on the marriage so I can assume Christopher started feeling that way early on. He knew it was wrong and his solution was to live in denial and blame a lot of it on Luke, which may or may not have been justified. I think it was implied that it had a lot to do with Luke. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 3

The character reference wouldn't have been a big deal if Lorelai hadn't been hiding the fact that she was doing a favor for a man who had without cause assaulted her husband.  Christopher was completely justified in my opinion in hating Luke and being jealous of him. 

I know we're supposed to think "Heehee! He tracked Christopher down and punched him!"  but I will never buy into that narrative.  And once you do something like that, you should thank your lucky stars he didn't press charges against you and out of respect for that kindness, immediately leave him and his family alone.

18 minutes ago, deaja said:

The character reference wouldn't have been a big deal if Lorelai hadn't been hiding the fact that she was doing a favor for a man who had without cause assaulted her husband. 

This is so true.  What Luke did is a big deal...in real life.  But on TV it is always treated sooo casually....so much so that I wouldn't factor it into the story at this point since it is treated so casually in storytelling.  Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised that Luke held his hand up and sort of blew on it or whatever he did, thereby showing that his hand hurt.  They always act like these things have no consequences at all.  But that kind of thing can have serious physical and legal consequences...as we know.  But even the vicious fist fight seemed to have no real consequence on GG.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Melancholy said:

I don't even know if there's deliberate symbolism that Lorelai is putting another family over her own. I don't exactly get this message from the series that Christopher was right to have the reaction that he did over the letter or that a wife can't help a friend who badly needs it if it will hurt her husband's feelings. It's entirely possible that Lorelai's character-reference writing is positioned against the Hayden-Gilmore Christmas scenes because Lorelai is engaging in the true meaning of Christmas- kindness and generosity. The spirit of Christmas isn't just decorating cookies- it's also being a good person. 

Lorelai was wrong to hide the character reference. However, actually, I don't think Lorelai hiding it is her putting Luke ahead of Christopher. I think Lorelai has an absolute right to write Luke a character-reference. It's an hour to write something nice that will be read in open court. There's patently nothing adulterous about that. The situation is also dire because Anna committed a MAJOR injustice against Luke and April and time is of the essence to straighten out the custody. Christopher's delicate fees-fees mean nothing in the background of all of this. Lorelai shouldn't have hid the reference but Lorelai wasn't putting Luke before Chris so much as trying to do something necessary while sparing Christopher's feelings by not telling him about him because she had a suspicion that Chris would freak out or get involved in critiquing the language. There's a "You can't handle the truth!" because Lorelai necessarily has to praise Luke for his loyalty to her family and steadfast meaningful help and kindness to get across that he can provide that to April. Chris necessarily suffers by comparison in those stakes and Lorelai has always been very careful to tap-dance around any feelings of inadequacy of Chris even if they're true.

It's showing where Lorelai's loyalties are. It is not her problem that Anna is moving to New Mexico and taking April, nor that there is a custody hearing. She chooses to help Luke even though she knows Christopher is jealous of their friendship. She is not considering her partner and his feelings. Even Rory tells her to be honest but she thinks it's a better idea to hide it and then the whole thing appears worse when the truth comes out. If Chris or any man pulled this kind of thing with her, she would not be ok with it. 

I just want to get past these episodes where there are lies and jealousy. And jump forward to where Lorelai and Christopher's friendship remains intact and they are on good terms again. Because that's really what I love about them: their similarity and easy rapport.

9 hours ago, cantbeflapped said:

This is so true.  What Luke did is a big deal...in real life.  But on TV it is always treated sooo casually....so much so that I wouldn't factor it into the story at this point since it is treated so casually in storytelling.  Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised that Luke held his hand up and sort of blew on it or whatever he did, thereby showing that his hand hurt.  They always act like these things have no consequences at all.  But that kind of thing can have serious physical and legal consequences...as we know.  But even the vicious fist fight seemed to have no real consequence on GG.

Boy, imagine if his punching Chris led to Anna saying he was violent. I doubt he would ever hurt April with all the sweetie talk but Anna seemed like she had an ax to grind at the hearing.

The thing that always bothered me is Lorelai acts like it is no big deal after the argument in the street. I like that Chris brings it up to her. Like, get a clue Lorelai.