Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7

• Start Topic

I just watched Season 7 in its entirety for the first time.  If I recall correctly, I was super annoyed with Season 6 and only watched Season 7 intermittently.  In fact, I don't know if I watched any of the first half of the season and I never saw the finale. 

Funny enough, April, the source of so much of my Season 6 irritation, bothered me not at all.  Luke continued to annoy me until the last 5 episodes.

And I felt really bad for Chris.  He should not have pressed to marry, so that was on him.  But Lorelei really didn't let him in AT ALL.  Even Christmas was all the Gilmore Girls' traditions and how they did not want to alter any of them or even create some new ones with Chris and Gigi.   

Other than that, my main take away is that Rory was super whiny and Alexis Bledel was/is an extremely fidgety actress and Lauren Graham is to be credited for Lorelei being so likable.* 

I recall beginning to lose patience with Lorelei in Season 6, but I couldn't really put my finger on it even at the time.  But really, as fun as Lorelei is, it's super frustrating that she doesn't seem to emotionally mature much at all in 7 seasons.  

I give her credit that in Season 1, despite being 32, she would not have progressed much in her understanding of her parents since she left as a teen and had no contact for 15 years.  But it's annoying that after most of a decade of havign dinners with her parents and all the times Emily's hurt slipped out and being a parent herself, that Lorelei still had ZERO empathy for what her cutting her parents out for a decade and a half hurt them.  She was angry I get it, but seriously?  At Mia's wedding she was still making comments about how they wanted her gone, which, whatever else was true about their relationship, was clearly not true.

I get why 16/17 year old Lorelei left. I don't understand why 38/39 year old Lorelei with 20 years plus experience in life and as a parent and 7 years of renewed connection with her parents still had no perspective.  No doubt her parent's were difficult people and I get that she at least tried wit them, but she seemed to think all the compromise was on her side all the time and had to have every thing her parents did for her or went through pointed out to her.

I still like the show, but I hope some of this is addressed in the reboot.

* I have suspected this might be true since Bunheads. Because, as charismatic as Sutton Foster is, she could not make her character as likable and they were quite similar.

• Love 7

I give her credit that in Season 1, despite being 32, she would not have progressed much in her understanding of her parents since she left as a teen and had no contact for 15 years.

Lorelai did have contact with her parents after she left - that is clear in the Pilot when she shows up to ask for money for Chilton when both her parents comment "Is it Easter?" and "Is it Christmas?". It is clear she did visit for holidays. Not daily or weekly, but clearly there was contact.

Re: Season 7 - Season 7 had no ASP input, so there are huge disconnects.

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Lorelai did have contact with her parents after she left - that is clear in the Pilot when she shows up to ask for money for Chilton when both her parents comment "Is it Easter?" and "Is it Christmas?". It is clear she did visit for holidays. Not daily or weekly, but clearly there was contact.

Re: Season 7 - Season 7 had no ASP input, so there are huge disconnects.

She must have been at least wishing them well on holidays. But it was also my impression that, pre-pilot, their contact is minimal and Lorelei shut Emily and Richard out of her life and Rory's.    

I recall a conversation between Mia and Emily in one of the earlier seasons when they first met, Mia asked Emily if she wasn't at least glad that Lorelei found someone to help her and Emily makes a comment about helping Lorelei to reconcile with her parents.  I don't recall the specifics, but I got the impression that there was a period of time wherein Lorelei had no contact with them at all. And throughout the series, Emily and Richard seem to remark on the major events in Lorelei and Rory's lives from which they were excluded and, often, weren't even made aware. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

She must have been at least wishing them well on holidays. But it was also my impression that, pre-pilot, their contact is minimal and Lorelei shut Emily and Richard out of her life and Rory's.    

I recall a conversation between Mia and Emily in one of the earlier seasons when they first met, Mia asked Emily if she wasn't at least glad that Lorelei found someone to help her and Emily makes a comment about helping Lorelei to reconcile with her parents.  I don't recall the specifics, but I got the impression that there was a period of time wherein Lorelei had no contact with them at all. And throughout the series, Emily and Richard seem to remark on the major events in Lorelei and Rory's lives from which they were excluded and, often, weren't even made aware. 

We will have to agree to disagree. Lorelai talks about always going to her parents Christmas party, and liking the apple tarts. I don't think she just wished them well on holidays, It was clear to me in the Pilot she came to visit, because the remark was made that it was unusual for her to be there on a day that wasn't a bank holiday. My point being that she did not have 15 years of absolutely no contact.

Just now, chessiegal said:

We will have to agree to disagree. Lorelai talks about always going to her parents Christmas party, and liking the apple tarts. I don't think she just wished them well on holidays, It was clear to me in the Pilot she came to visit, because the remark was made that it was unusual for her to be there on a day that wasn't a bank holiday. My point being that she did not have 15 years of absolutely no contact.

I'm not disagreeing with you, unless you are disputing the contact was minimal or that there was never a period of disconnect.  As I said, I had forgotten about seeing them on holidays. But going to holiday parties isn't really spending time together. And it doesn't change my feeling that I get why their relationship might not have progressed in the 15  years between Lorelei running away and the pilot.  

It bothers me that she gains very little perspective on what she put her parents through and how they really felt even after spending more time. And I felt that pre-Season 7 too. It was just more starkly laid out at Mia's wedding than it had been in a few seasons. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RachelKM said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, unless you are disputing the contact was minimal or that there was never a period of disconnect.  As I said, I had forgotten about seeing them on holidays. But going to holiday parties isn't really spending time together. And it doesn't change my feeling that I get why their relationship might not have progressed in the 15  years between Lorelei running away and the pilot.  

It bothers me that she gains very little perspective on what she put her parents through and how they really felt even after spending more time. And I felt that pre-Season 7 too. It was just more starkly laid out at Mia's wedding than it had been in a few seasons. 

As someone who has a mother with a severe personality disorder, and had to go full-on NO contact, I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference between occasional contact and NO contact.   Especially with children involved.  No contact is NO contact.  No calls, no casual hang outs, no holidays, nothing.  

It's incredibly difficult, akin to a death that you can't mourn.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Meow25 said:

As someone who has a mother with a severe personality disorder, and had to go full-on NO contact, I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference between occasional contact and NO contact.   Especially with children involved.  No contact is NO contact.  No calls, no casual hang outs, no holidays, nothing.  

It's incredibly difficult, akin to a death that you can't mourn.  

I agree with that statement.  I apparently did not express myself well.  To me, it seemed clear that initially, Lorelai cut off all contact.  I had forgotten that there was ever a reference to parties, however the lack of total awkwardness and shock in the pilot made it clear that at some time in the prior 15 years, Lorelei had had some degree of communication with her parents.  So I definitely overstated in my original post.

All of this is beside my primary point which is that I can understand Lorelai not really making any progress in gaining perspective on her parents while she was still basically keeping them out of her life (apparently making occasional holiday based visits to their world and even possibly occasional phone calls).  But it is incredibly frustrating that after 7 years of regular dinners and additional re-integration into her life, Lorelai had never grasped that her parents never wanted her gone, were proud of her accomplishments (even if stiff and demanding in their approach), and loved her and wanted to be a part of her and Rory's lives for more reasons than just appearances sake. I get that a 16 year old might not get it, or even a 25 year old.  But a near 40 year old woman with an adult daughter of her own continuing to see her parents as having wanted her out as an embarrassment and still not getting the gravity of what they experienced seemed extremely immature and obtuse.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 7

I agree that when Lorelei first left she did essentially run away and have no contact but over the years she got in touch for holidays and birthdays which eventually did turn into visits but Richard and Emily were always on an information diet and never completely welcome in Starshallow. It would have been interesting to find out what prompted Lorelei to talk to them again, it's a shame the show mostly stagnated the relationship for drama's sake. 

I hated the way that Marty's return was played out.

It would have been much more interesting if, rather than Marty pretending that he and Rory had never met, Marty had pretended that they had been casual acquaintances rather than close friends. Like " oh yeah, we lived in the same dorm freshman year."

This would have put Rory in an awkward position, one in which she would have had to go along with the pretense or acknowledge her own past problematic behavior. " No, we actually were good friends until I started hanging out with people who had bullied and mocked him for not being rich, and  I no longer had room for him in my life. Huh, putting it like that makes me sound like I was a bit of an asshole, doesn't it?"

Season 7 let Rory off the hook for her S5 and S6 screw-ups. The show, like the townies, put her in a big congratulatory sash, and let her escape the consequences of her mistakes.

Edited by clack
  • Love 9

On Freeform today, French Twist.  The most horrible gag-worthy episode of all time. Between Christopher fixing everything by flinging money around to the Valley Girls like-speak the whole thing is like fingernails on a blackboard.  Excuse me while I go barf.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

On Freeform today, French Twist.  The most horrible gag-worthy episode of all time. Between Christopher fixing everything by flinging money around to the Valley Girls like-speak the whole thing is like fingernails on a blackboard.  Excuse me while I go barf.

I don't know how you can re-watch it. 

• Love 1

Yeah, so I had started on season seven a week ago...and stopped already because it's just not that good for me. At some point, I'll finish season seven (before the revival). But I've taken to rewatching other episodes throughout the first five seasons.

• Love 3

My season 7 watching starts with I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia. It feels as if the writing gets better from that episode on, plus the crumbling of Lorelai and Chris started. I don't know how you guys can stomach the first half, even on FF.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, twoods said:

My season 7 watching starts with I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia. It feels as if the writing gets better from that episode on, plus the crumbling of Lorelai and Chris started. I don't know how you guys can stomach the first half, even on FF.

What?  You didn't enjoy 10+ episodes of Christopher jumping around like a yippy puppy gleefully oblivious to Lorelai's ambivalence toward their relationship; Lorelai glumly clomping through that relationship while passive-aggressively refusing his attempts to actually have a relationship and, you know, combine their lives in a mutually accommodating fashion with occasional blips of enjoying Christopher's attempts to romance her; Luke stomping through his life being an agro dick to everyone other than April and occasionally Liz; Rory having an insecurity spiral while Logan is out of the country; the return of Marty only to learn he's been body snatched by a utter douchebag; and Lane not even being allowed to enjoy sex once before being saddle with a pregnancy with TWINS? Oh shit.... when I string it all together like that, yeah Season 7 starts of with a bang (that you kinda wish had actually been from a gun shooting you in the head). 

Edited by RachelKM
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
46 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

What?  You didn't enjoy 10+ episodes of Christopher jumping around like a yippy puppy gleefully oblivious to Lorelai's ambivalence toward their relationship; Lorelai glumly clomping through that relationship while passive-aggressively refusing his attempts to actually have a relationship and, you know, combining their lives in a mutually accommodating fashion with occasional blips of enjoying Christopher's attempts to romance her; Luke stomping through his life being an agro dick to everyone other than April and occasionally Liz; Rory having an insecurity spiral while Logan is out of the country; the return of Marty only to learn he's been body snatched by a utter douchebag; and Lane not even being allowed to enjoy sex once before being saddle with a pregnancy with TWINS? Oh shit.... when I string it all together like that, yeah Season 7 starts of with a bang (that you kinda wish had actually been from a gun shooting in the head). 

Don't forget they threw even more Liz and TJ at us too! Then turned Jackson into a big ass by making it so he never got fixed. Luke having to fight Anna for custody of April. And this is probably a weird thing to be annoyed about.  But it still bugs me in Season Seven we still have Christopher's mother babysitting Gigi while ignoring Rory.  And no one says anything. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Don't forget they threw even more Liz and TJ at us too! Then turned Jackson into a big ass by making it so he never got fixed. Luke having to fight Anna for custody of April. And this is probably a weird thing to be annoyed about.  But it still bugs me in Season Seven we still have Christopher's mother babysitting Gigi while ignoring Rory.  And no one says anything. 

Oh, good god!  Were there 4 babies in a single season?  I just watched it and I literally blocked that out. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Oh, good god!  Where there 4 babies in a single season?  I just watched it and I literally blocked that out. 

There were weddings in pretty much every season, too. Kinda blows a hole in the occasional claim that GG isn't about the love relationships. The latest quote I read is that GG is

The show is sneakily feminist in that it’s always been great for them to have love, but they’re also okay when they don’t.

Personally, I observed that romantic relationships were very prominent throughout the show, and both GG showed distinct dissatisfaction when they weren't in one, or when they felt they weren't loved. Season 7 was particularly strong with romantic relationships, with the marriage that shall not be named, the four babies mentioned above, Logan's proposal and Lorelai's and Luke's last-gasp dance around each other.

• Love 3

Am I the only one that got pissed off at how snotty Michele was when Luke came to the inn to ask for Lorelai's help regarding the custody fight?  I was never a fan of Michele to begin with, but he acted like Luke was the one that fucked Christopher.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, junienmomo said:

There were weddings in pretty much every season, too. Kinda blows a hole in the occasional claim that GG isn't about the love relationships. The latest quote I read is that GG is

Personally, I observed that romantic relationships were very prominent throughout the show, and both GG showed distinct dissatisfaction when they weren't in one, or when they felt they weren't loved. Season 7 was particularly strong with romantic relationships, with the marriage that shall not be named, the four babies mentioned above, Logan's proposal and Lorelai's and Luke's last-gasp dance around each other.

Not to mention that Lorelai fell apart when Luke wouldn't elope with her. Doesn't sound like love and marriage isn't important to her. I thought the same thing when I read this. It's probably the reasoning behind why L&L aren't married in the revival. 

52 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

Not to mention that Lorelai fell apart when Luke wouldn't elope with her. Doesn't sound like love and marriage isn't important to her. I thought the same thing when I read this. It's probably the reasoning behind why L&L aren't married in the revival. 

LOL, that's funny. The actor pre-retconning a (for us) speculated situation just in case we might not like what it is that we don't know that it is what we think it might be.  

(Channeling Luke at the 'Jess is Satan's spawn' town meeting at the moment.)

• Love 2

Ah, season 7. While there are parts of this I love, especially how the romantic relationships of both girls are written, some of the characterizations feel a little off. 

The Long Morrow 

I loved seeing the girls spend time together again, a nice change from last season's rifts and separation of storylines. The racquetball scene of them sitting and talking was cute. Kirk in the T-bird was funny as was Rory's recap of the accident. 

I feel a little bad for Chris, he is acting like Lorelai acted back in season 2 when she thought it was over with Sherry. The rocket is sweet once you know the meaning but that's a big leap for Rory to connect those dots. Logan could have included a card in the box but that would have negated Rory's plot completely. 

That's What you Get...

Lane's attitude about sex is a bummer. I don't mind the pregnancy storyline as many do but at least let her enjoy parts of being a newlywed. 

I loved Liz dropping some truth on Luke. Also her cluelessness about cooking is funny. I think Luke is good at seeing other people's insecurities and he knows how to hurt them with words. It's not the first time he has cut Lorelai to the quick with his mean words. 

Rory sounds like an audience surrogate for those who were mad at Lorelai for sleeping with Chris. She does make a good point about not wanting the relationship with her dad to suffer. 

Some of the messages in these episodes are a bit heavy handed. Rory realizing that moms aren't perfect was similar to the destruction of Luke's in the last episode to show his emotional state. I'm probably wording this wrong, it just feels like they are being less than subtle about certain things. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

Ah, season 7. While there are parts of this I love, especially how the romantic relationships of both girls are written, some of the characterizations feel a little off. 

The Long Morrow 

I loved seeing the girls spend time together again, a nice change from last season's rifts and separation of storylines. The racquetball scene of them sitting and talking was cute. Kirk in the T-bird was funny as was Rory's recap of the accident. 

I feel a little bad for Chris, he is acting like Lorelai acted back in season 2 when she thought it was over with Sherry. The rocket is sweet once you know the meaning but that's a big leap for Rory to connect those dots. Logan could have included a card in the box but that would have negated Rory's plot completely. 

That's What you Get...

Lane's attitude about sex is a bummer. I don't mind the pregnancy storyline as many do but at least let her enjoy parts of being a newlywed. 

I loved Liz dropping some truth on Luke. Also her cluelessness about cooking is funny. I think Luke is good at seeing other people's insecurities and he knows how to hurt them with words. It's not the first time he has cut Lorelai to the quick with his mean words. 

Rory sounds like an audience surrogate for those who were mad at Lorelai for sleeping with Chris. She does make a good point about not wanting the relationship with her dad to suffer. 

Some of the messages in these episodes are a bit heavy handed. Rory realizing that moms aren't perfect was similar to the destruction of Luke's in the last episode to show his emotional state. I'm probably wording this wrong, it just feels like they are being less than subtle about certain things. 

I hate that season 7 didn't show Luke and Lorelai having  remorse for the loss of their relationship. Lorelai cried once, Luke nothing. 

1 hour ago, hippielamb said:

I was actually ok with her attitude. It's actually refreshing to see that sex isn't this joyous occasion for someone, especially for their first time. Sex is treated like such a big deal and such a magical moment, especially with it being built up by society, that having someone actually state that it's not all that it's cracked up to be makes me smile a bit. But then again, I'm asexual so sex has never been on my list of things to do. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I was actually ok with her attitude. It's actually refreshing to see that sex isn't this joyous occasion for someone, especially for their first time. Sex is treated like such a big deal and such a magical moment, especially with it being built up by society, that having someone actually state that it's not all that it's cracked up to be makes me smile a bit. But then again, I'm asexual so sex has never been on my list of things to do. 

I will never understand why Lane, with a difficult but budding career, planned a whole wedding, but zero birth control. Zach? That's more understandable. He wasn't all that good about understanding actions have consequences. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, FictionLover said:

I hate that season 7 didn't show Luke and Lorelai having  remorse for the loss of their relationship. Lorelai cried once, Luke nothing. 

Shouldn't really surprise you that we saw nothing from Luke (except the scene of him alone in the diner after the car crash). This is one thing the new producers/writers continued in ASP style. We don't need to know how he feels or what he thinks about the situation because it's all about the Gilmore Girls. No different than during their S5 breakup or the latter half of S6.

As for Lorelai...who knows. As we have heard from her several times during early S6, it was 100% Luke's fault what happened. She apprently did nothing wrong. But why dwell on the past when you have a shiny new toy to play with.

• Love 2

Agreed.  I used to think sex must be the most wonderful thing in the world because that's what the media told me.  And it's not.  At all.  Everyone's different of course but sex is just an okay experience for me.  Never has it been this earth shattering, life altering thing.  So, it is nice when a character takes that attitude as well.  It is so rare to see.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sweet Tee said:

Agreed.  I used to think sex must be the most wonderful thing in the world because that's what the media told me.  And it's not.  At all.  Everyone's different of course but sex is just an okay experience for me.  Never has it been this earth shattering, life altering thing.  So, it is nice when a character takes that attitude as well.  It is so rare to see.

I sadly will admit I have been in that boat too. Not wanting to make this a weird forum topic, but while my first time wasn't what it was hyped up to be. Plus, as much as TV shows, religious groups and the norm want to treat sex like it's either the best thing or the worst thing in the world. I had no problem with both Lane and Zach's first time, even the honeymoon sex being a disaster. However, I was in agreement with Lane or even Zach not thinking of consequences, birth control, ect. I have seen very few TV series where sex for teens or adults is ever handled normally. I get that for some people, it rules their relationships and others it's just part of life. I hate to say it, but the only character that ever seem to not have sex dominate their lives or others judgments was Taylor. He mentioned being married, not wanting kids, but being the fun uncle and loving his wife. Everyone else acted like it was the end all, be all or had disastrous results from it. That is such and old TV troupe and Gilmore Girls sadly wanted to make big deals about it just like any other show. 

20 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Am I remembering wrong? I thought the story line was because Lane and Zach were on a beach, the sand compromised a condom. I hate Season 7 so much I'm not willing to drag out the DVD and check.

Good point!  I wasn't willing to rewatch it either (heh) but here's from the transcript -

LANE: Anyway, the whole thing was a disaster. Because you know what movies don't tell you? That sand is basically dirt. It was dirty. It was cold. My hands were shaking. I'm trying to remember stuff about condoms and bananas. And then suddenly I realize, we got crabs, live ones that are scuttling all over us. Zach starts freaking out because, apparently, he's afraid of shellfish. And it's getting colder and dirtier. And at some point, this pervert with a snorkel mask appears out of nowhere. And I'm thinking, "we took three buses from Pedro's apartment for this."

RORY: You're not.

LANE: I am.

RORY: Really?

LANE: Really, I guess the combination of salt water and seaweed and discount Mexican condoms and terrible, terrible sex leads to a baby.

Also, reading thru S6 and S7 transcripts just makes me really, really sad.  Not only do most of the storylines make me crazy, it's like they just gave up on the sparkling dialogue.  It's flat, it's unfunny, and it's not the GG I love.  :(

• Love 3
On September 23, 2016 at 9:57 AM, hippielamb said:

Absolutely!  That's exactly how I felt when watching it..."you tell her Rory."  But, I was also glad she forgave her quickly and was there to comfort her.  

And this was one of the only times I felt sorry for Christopher during the series.  Poor guy, got used.  And I'm a Luke fan, but no...we use our words when we're angry, Luke.  

The "Whoopee" episode....is there any more horrible moment in the series than Lorelai telling Luke she slept with Chris?  Lorelai echoed my sentiment later in her conversation with Sookie by saying it was one of the worst moments of her life. 

That horrible moment aside, I was surprised how many times I laughed out loud during "Whoopee".  I'll go against the grain here and say I felt like the new show runners nailed the feel of the show and the dialogue in this episode.  Let me see if I can check the transcript and we exactly where I thought this...

*Lorelai's loin fruit bit

* Rory's "and we were going to Peking for the opera and the duck."  Literally lol.  

*Luke's banter with Kirk at "Kirk's".  "I could have brain damage."  "Oh, I'm pretty sure you do."  Yeah, that Kirks thing was over the top, but very GG to go over the top with Kirk.  

* Zach thinking Spanish was speaking in code.  Again, lol.

* Lane having a parasite, "in a manner of speaking"

*  Rory and Lane's celebrity baby name convo felt old school GG.  

Just a few moments that made me think, "hey this is funny and feels like GG should."  The junk food sushi was a nice touch too....ret hot wasabi...lol.  

Edited by cantbeflapped
Spelling
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Good point!  I wasn't willing to rewatch it either (heh) but here's from the transcript -

Also, reading thru S6 and S7 transcripts just makes me really, really sad.  Not only do most of the storylines make me crazy, it's like they just gave up on the sparkling dialogue.  It's flat, it's unfunny, and it's not the GG I love.  :(

So agree about the story lines and dialogue. You really feel ASP's absence in Season 7,

• Love 1
  • 12 hours ago, Smad said:

Shouldn't really surprise you that we saw nothing from Luke (except the scene of him alone in the diner after the car crash). This is one thing the new producers/writers continued in ASP style. We don't need to know how he feels or what he thinks about the situation because it's all about the Gilmore Girls. No different than during their S5 breakup or the latter half of S6.

As for Lorelai...who knows. As we have heard from her several times during early S6, it was 100% Luke's fault what happened. She apprently did nothing wrong. But why dwell on the past when you have a shiny new toy to play with.

Actually they did show upset Luke after the break-up in season five throwing out customers in the dinner. It was OOT but he was sad.  He also was trying to see Lorelai during the play.  But after the break-up of an engagement there was nothing.  I would have liked to have seen a little emotion.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, FictionLover said:

Actually they did show upset Luke after the break-up in season five throwing out customers in the dinner. It was OOT but he was sad.  He also was trying to see Lorelai during the play.  But after the break-up of an engagement there was nothing.  I would have liked to have seen a little emotion.

He was angry initially. But considering how fast she jumped into bed with Christopher, maybe he felt it was easier just to shut that part of him off. Understandable that he was so drained that he didn't want to spend anymore energy on it.

However, we did see him visibly upset upon finding out she eloped, not to mention when they were prancing around trying to orient him to Stars a Hollow.

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

He was angry initially. But considering how fast she jumped into bed with Christopher, maybe he felt it was easier just to shut that part of him off. Understandable that he was so drained that he didn't want to spend anymore energy on it.

However, we did see him visibly upset upon finding out she eloped, not to mention when they were prancing around trying to orient him to Stars a Hollow.

I don't remember seeing him find out she eloped. I guess there was some regrets insinuated when he was telling Kirk to appreciate Lulu when Kirk was going to break up with her.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Didn't Luke and Chris get into a fist fight at one point?

Yes but that was initiated by Chris. I'm sure Luke enjoyed smacking him but I'm sure some of his anger was directed at Anna and his custody fight.

4 hours ago, FictionLover said:

Yeah, but those were just reaction shots. Nothing about what Luke was thinking. And one conversation with TJ and one with Liz each Season don't count for me, at all. We weren't privy to his thought process. In general it would be fine with me since the show is called Gilmore Girls and it's all about them, but not when someone who is also in the main credits is tied up into a lead's story like this. And the audience is not really given anything to work with so we can understand what's going through his head.

There is a lot wrong in S7 however for me there are plenty of bright spots. Luke getting the best character development he has gotten since the show started. One that I'm convinced will stick for the sole reason that he did it for himself, because he wants to be a better father. Seeing Sookie as a human being and a good friend again was refreshing. The townies were dequirked a lot although what they wrote for characters like Kirk was...urgh. The latter part of the Season is more enjoyable than anything after 6.08. I was hopefuly after the first 2 episodes of S7 that it would better on a human level in the sense that people were actually allowed to talk to each other about things. Sadly they didn't really keep that up.

• Love 2

I agree that there are bright spots and in general the townies were more human and less caricatured than in season 6.  I think season 7 suffers a little because so many of the characters are just....there. Rory is coping with a long distance relationship and not having a planned-out future, but in terms of her character, the stakes are pretty low compared with previous seasons. Lane deals with marriage and motherhood, but (imo) it's not as interesting as her spending the previous 3 seasons carving out a more adult relationship with her mother. Christopher is a full-time dad and all, but he's basically just good old Christopher, still starstruck around Lorelai.  Same thing with Emily and Richard, who are mostly there reacting to everyone else. Luke gets some real growth, Logan takes some steps toward adulthood, and Lorelai really tries to become a better communicator and partner, and better at being hands-off with Rory's life decisions.  But there were just so many characters without much to do - one of the negatives of a final season, I guess. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, FictionLover said:

Yes but that was initiated by Chris. I'm sure Luke enjoyed smacking him but I'm sure some of his anger was directed at Anna and his custody fight.

Too bad nobody smacked her.

What? I can't be the only one that's thinking it, LOL.

• Love 4
On 9/23/2016 at 11:37 AM, Lady Calypso said:

It's understandable that Lane's first time wasn't great. Few very women have great or even good sex their first time. But how bad could it have been that she decides she's never doing it again. I find that idea very depressing.

On 9/24/2016 at 1:05 PM, cantbeflapped said:

*Lorelai's loin fruit bit

* Lane having a parasite, "in a manner of speaking"

*  Rory and Lane's celebrity baby name convo felt old school GG.  

Just a few moments that made me think, "hey this is funny and feels like GG should."  The junk food sushi was a nice touch too....ret hot wasabi...lol.  

I loved the loin fruit bit. That whole conversation in the kitchen was enjoyable to me. A complaint I had of season 6 was the lack of mother/daughter moments so I'm loving the little scenes of them together.

Nothing much to add except I loved those scenes too. Especially Rory and Lane talking baby names. You could see their closeness and I love seeing Rory be the supportive one.

• Love 2

Lorelai's First Cotillion

I find it strange that young Lorelai never had to attend a cotillion when we know for a fact she was on her way to being a debuntante until her pregnancy interfered. I didn't like her attitude with Charlotte at dinner, saying that cotillions are bad when it's obvious that the little girl is interested in attending.

Also annoying was Lorelai's attitude with the Gilmores over their non-reaction to the break-up. I totally side with Emily and Richard on this one. I love Lorelai and all immature behaviour but something about her actions at this Friday night dinner bugged me.

I wish Lorelai had waited to call Chris. He said he was willing to wait. She waited years for him to get his act together. It wouldn't hurt anything to make him wait. It feels like Lorelai is jumping into things because she doesn't want to be alone. I loved his declaration of love, btw.

I sound very critical of Lorelai, which is weird cos she's my favourite character. There were parts of this episode that were enjoyable. I liked seeing her have fun at the cotillion with Michel, and realize that people can actually have a good time at those events. Also sort of recognizing that her teenage attitudes about things, especially her parents lifestyle is biased.

'S Wonderful, 'S Marvelous

I love this episode. The date and Lorelai's upbeat guessing were fun to watch. As was Christopher. Two people who have a history of casual sex trying to not jump into bed was amusing. It's doomed but I really enjoy scenes of the two of them together. Lorelai's reactions to Emily getting arrested were funny, as was Emily herself. The attitude she gave the cop when pulled over, and "menace to society, Emily Gilmore" had me laughing.

It's a little odd that Anna feels comfortable leaving "her kid" with Luke for two weeks. Seems like she would be more reserved about it. Something that annoyed me was that April apparently likes to get to school early, just like a certain Yale undergrad. It's not that hard to give her different character quirks than Rory.

• Love 2

As much as I love Luke's growth this Season I have to say there are 2 things that royally bug me. I totally understand wanting to whitewash Lorelai a bit after the backlash her character recieved following the end of S6. But was it really neccessary to retcon S6 so their relationship falling apart was 100% Luke's fault? To this day that decision by the producers still baffles me. Rosenthal supposedly watched all the previous Seasons and he didn't think Luke had been punished enough as a charcter by being in a relationship with Lorelai to begin with? His character was already warped for every stupid story ASP could come up with so why couldn't Rosenthal be a bit fairer to him? ASP was gone after all. But to let Lorelai assume zero responsibility and putting it all on Luke just made me hate Lorelai more, not less. And to give Luke a motivation (using April to push Lorelai away) that I didn't see AT ALL in S6 made the whole thing even worse.

Oh and while I'm on the subject, Lorleai's 'apology' doesn't even make sense. If her and Luke were over the moment she walked away from him in 'Partings' (as she and a lot of fans see it), then whatever she did after had nothing to do with their relationship. There is no need to apologize for sleeping with Christopher because her and Luke were over at that point. Which makes her apology even more useless than it was. Just reinforced my stance that Lorelai would have been much better off in therapy this Season.

And the other thing is, Lorelai was not only completely innocent of any wrong doings but she was also allowed to be in a relationship with freaking Christopher. Yeah, reward the deadbeat why don't you. I'm sure that will endear her to a lot of viewers. While Luke's only romantic outing that Season was with a certifiable nutjob. What ASP did to him wasn't enough? Laying the blame for L/L falling apart soley at his feet wasn't enough? They couldn't give him a halfway decent female to go out on a date with? Seriously?

• Love 7
On 9/24/2016 at 0:56 PM, readster said:

I sadly will admit I have been in that boat too. Not wanting to make this a weird forum topic, but while my first time wasn't what it was hyped up to be. Plus, as much as TV shows, religious groups and the norm want to treat sex like it's either the best thing or the worst thing in the world. I had no problem with both Lane and Zach's first time, even the honeymoon sex being a disaster.

I was totally ok with the fact that it was bad first time and then they didn't get another chance on the honeymoon due to being ill and then she thought the whole thing was awful and found out she was pregant.

But....it would have been nice if we'd got some indication later on that they had actually tried out again and it was ok.

• Love 3