Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7

• Start Topic

Farewell, My Pet

Cute opening scene with Richard playing along with the girls. It made me smile. Also sweet was the image of him and Emily walking with her hand on his back. 

It was nice that Rory is teammom though the conflict is not a clear right and wrong thing. Of course, she doesn't have the closeness with Chris that she has with Lorelai, so it makes sense. I liked that Lorelai tried to keep Rory out of it, Chris is still her dad and Lorelai respects that.

Lol at Rory crushing on her T.A. She takes a different road than Lorelai and is actually honest with her partner. I really like how Logan and Rory's relationship is portrayed this season. I doubt Amy & co would have written them this mature and communicative.

Lorelai finally sees the damage done and tries to save her marriage but it's too late now. The last few episodes she has annoyed me but her conversation with Chris in the final scene always makes me cry. I'm sad for both of them. Chris feeling like he is still asking her to marry him is heartbreaking too. 

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

It's showing where Lorelai's loyalties are. It is not her problem that Anna is moving to New Mexico and taking April, nor that there is a custody hearing. She chooses to help Luke even though she knows Christopher is jealous of their friendship. She is not considering her partner and his feelings. Even Rory tells her to be honest but she thinks it's a better idea to hide it and then the whole thing appears worse when the truth comes out. If Chris or any man pulled this kind of thing with her, she would not be ok with it. 

A partner's feelings aren't a trump card on everything. If Chris's feelings were hurt at Lorelai focusing on her career instead of him, should Lorelai sell the Dragonfly and quit work? Of course, Lorelai shouldn't betray Chris with a full blown relationship with Luke, whether that's sex or decades of lunches. However, I think husbands and wives should retain enough autonomy over their lives separate their partner that they can spend an hour writing a character reference letter. I think Lorelai WAS considering Chris's feelings by hiding the character-reference letter. Wrongly. Lorelai should have just openly said that she was going to do this and if Chris so believed that he owned Lorelai so much that he'd ban from her writing a letter for an hour, Lorelai could have declared her independence from that. However, Lorelai was trying to make one little independent choice while being married to Chris while also sparing Chris any jealousy or pain by not telling him about the letter. She wasn't indifferent to his feelings. If anything, she was paranoid about them. 

Actually, I think it's entirely likely that Lorelai WOULD be cool with one of her guys doing the equivalent of writing character-reference for an ex-fiance. Lorelai comes to regret it but she had Luke on a VERY long leash in starting to co-parent April with Anna because Lorelai trusted him and also Lorelai felt like she couldn't get jealous over or criticize something geared to parenting a child. Lorelai was actually CONVINCING Chris to go hand-deliver Gigi to Sherri in Paris instead of delegating the task to the nanny. Chris surprised Lorelai by inviting her to go to Paris. Because Lorelai was prioritizing Gigi being responsibly and humanely relocated across the Atlantic Ocean over any jealous romantic danger of Chris and Sherri having a possibly romantic reunion in the City of Lights. I think Chris is an outlier in his paranoid jealousy over writing a mere letter.

I can't get worked up about Luke punching Chris. The men on this show get violent. Chris is no different with the I'LL KICK YOUR ASS remarks to Logan or starting his fist-fight with Luke in S7. Luke was speaking Chris's language. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

I can't get worked up about Luke punching Chris.

Me either.  I've said it before, but good grief.  It's not like Luke assaulted Chris with a baseball bat or otherwise did any serious harm.  Maybe it's because where I come from, a well-deserved punch is not that big of a deal, but I never saw it as anything to get upset over.

• Love 8

I was never a Luke/Lorelei shipper and have been reading the back and forth about the letter with interest.  I fall in the camp that she only should have wrote the letter had she told Christopher about it.  The letter in and of itself is not the problem. It was the hiding it that made it appear worse than it was, especially as it was for the man she had been engaged to.  The man she was with JUST before her husband.  When you add in her unwillingness to compromise in her new life, the townies' less than welcoming behaviour and everything else, you have a situation that ends up messier than it ever had to be.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Lorelai finally sees the damage done and tries to save her marriage but it's too late now.

If all it takes to wreck a marriage is 2 months of one person not being completely in and a lie about a letter written as a character reference for an old friend then in my opinion the marriage never should have happened in the first place.  In Farewell My Pet it seemed pretty clear that both Lorelai and Christopher understood their marriage was never going to work out no matter what they did.

• Love 4

She chooses to help Luke even though she knows Christopher is jealous of their friendship. She is not considering her partner and his feelings.

Mature adults, married or otherwise, are allowed to have lives that don't depend entirely on the desires or contradictory feelings of their partner.  A relationship where an individual must acquiesce to the whims, desires, and likes of another is just suffocating and is the symptom of an abusive situation.  Battered women are forced to do everything their partner considers to be what he wants at the expense of their own lives.  I am not saying Christopher was of that class but his expectation that married life is all about him and should exclude anything the doesn't like is ridiculous.  If my partner doesn't like classical music doesn't mean that listening to it is deliberately damaging my relationship.

• Love 2

I can certainly agree that Lorelai was wrong to not tell Chris about the letter. She wronged him with dishonesty. However if Chris still objected to her writing the letter or insisted on reading it and then, treating Lorelai badly because any celebration of Luke's reliable kindness reflects negatively on Chris, Lorelai would have every right, in my book, to still insist on writing the letter as she wanted. Lorelai would be completely justified in saying, "I'm writing a letter for an old friend and yes, former fiance, to right a big injustice that was done to him. He's an investor in my inn, he's the reason this house has been fixed and standing for years. I care about him and I think it's rotten that he may be denied custody of his kid and I'm not hurting you by sitting at a typewriter for an hour to write something nice about him. If you don't like it, well that's too bad. Enjoy Wisteria Lane, you major drama queen." 

• Love 5

Lorelai knew what she was doing when she hid the letter, because she'd been through the situation several times before and she knew exactly how her husband would feel. 

Backtracking from her appropriate behavior around her visit to Luke at the hospital, she chose to not tell Christopher about the letter. We weren't privy to the pre-hospital visit discussion, but I fanwank it as her telling him she needed to go and he either accepted it well or not so well, but it didn't stop her and he was OK with it afterwards.

They recycled the plot from season 5 and her visits to Christopher when she was in a serious relationship with Luke. Lorelai never got better at it in season 5, and I thought it was growth in S7 with the visit to Luke, but the letter was two steps back because she deliberately hid it. The S5 situation could have been rationalized by thoughtlessness, but not the S7 letter.

In S5, Christopher was Luke's Pennilyn Lott. In S7, Luke was Christopher's. In both seasons, Lorelai was at the heart of the problem. She always had the right to say "I'm doing x with that person" without regard to their problems with it. They would just have to deal. However, when she hides it, she's showing that she doesn't trust them to deal with it in a relationship-preserving way. 

The tragic irony about both the S5 and S7 occurrences is each man decided that he wasn't the one Lorelai really wanted.

Curiously enough, Lorelai's opinion of each man is the same: "he will always be in my life."

Edited by junienmomo
added always in my life comment
  • Love 2

I agree that Lorelai hiding the letter was wrong, but I don't think Chris would have been happy even if she had been upfront. Again, not condoning the lie or her choice to hide it, but I suppose I can understand it, at least more than I understand some of Lorelai's other choices.

Chris may have been okay with her going to the hospital to visit April (though we don't know for sure what was said), but I would like to think anyone with an ounce of empathy would understand that for Luke, who had only been a dad for the past year, how awful it would be for him to have his daughter in the hospital, even though it didn't end up being a major problem (could have turned into one had he not gotten her to the hospital fast enough). Even with Chris hating Luke, he would look like a dick for being mad at Lorelai going to the hospital to check on a friend's daughter.

However, I don't think he would have understood why Lorelai felt compelled to write the letter. Or maybe he would have. Who knows. Really, even with him understanding that, the marriage would have never worked. 

I don't really see Lorelai hiding the letter as wrong, because I feel she did it so she would be free to write the best possible character reference for Luke.  If she told Chris he would have insisted on reading it, and she would have written it with that in mind.  It was her right to help Luke in the best way she could and it didn't have anything to do with Christopher or their marriage.  

• Love 5

Looking back on how appreciative Lorelai was that Chris immediately told her when he heard from Sherry makes me think she was even more wrong to hide the letter.  He was upfront with her and she told him about how much she appreciated that. To not show him the same courtesy is inexcusable to me.  I think if she had been honest with him about it, it would have been a non-issue.  "Luke needs a character reference to keep his daughter. I'm going to be writing one."  Instead by hiding it, it made it look like something bigger than it was.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

Looking back on how appreciative Lorelai was that Chris immediately told her when he heard from Sherry makes me think she was even more wrong to hide the letter.  He was upfront with her and she told him about how much she appreciated that. To not show him the same courtesy is inexcusable to me.  I think if she had been honest with him about it, it would have been a non-issue.  "Luke needs a character reference to keep his daughter. I'm going to be writing one."  Instead by hiding it, it made it look like something bigger than it was.

I agree completely with that statement.  The issue with hiding things, especially small things like this letter, is that it makes people wonder what other things are being hidden.  It makes Lorelei look like there was a reason to hide it.  Being open with your spouse has nothing to do with being manipulated, it has to do with being respectful, of your spouse and of your relationship.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, shron17 said:

I don't really see Lorelai hiding the letter as wrong, because I feel she did it so she would be free to write the best possible character reference for Luke.  If she told Chris he would have insisted on reading it, and she would have written it with that in mind.  It was her right to help Luke in the best way she could and it didn't have anything to do with Christopher or their marriage.  

This is also very true. I still land on the fact that Lorelai hiding the letter was wrong because I'm a big believer that marriages should be free from secrets. However, absolutely, as I said before, Lorelai is justified in being concerned that Chris would get involved with critiquing the language. Or as you said, even if Chris didn't get involved critiquing the language, Lorelai would be writing the letter with Chris as a potential audience member. I appreciate the argument that we'll never know how Chris would have reacted if Lorelai was honest from the beginning and Chris's anger definitely partly came from a place of feeling deceived. However, there's something separate in how Chris unfairly, IMO, characterized the letter as reading like a love letter. It was actually a very warm but formal and appropriate recounting of Luke's platonic relationship with Lorelai and even mostly Rory. Chris is threatened by the very values most relevant in the conversation about Luke getting partial custody because Chris suffers by contrast when it comes to loyalty, stability, generosity, reliability, etc. However, that's not good enough for me to dial back the efforts to correct the injustice of Luke being denied shared custody of his daughter. (With some two cents that I can't imagine that Lorelai's letter was THAT persuasive to the judge. Unless, Anna was really making a case against Luke in the courtroom that he's an unfit father because of his past failed relationships, including a broken engagement with one Lorelai Gilmore. In that case, the letter would be more relevant and I think that was the case because Luke said that Anna threw every piece of dirt that she could at him. However, I'd think the fact that Anna withheld April from Luke for years and years for no good reason and the fact that April found Luke in that crazy-ass science project to figure out who was the dad between of all of Anna's sexual partners really worked against her. Anna's argument that Luke is unstable is a hard sell when Luke has plenty of assets, has lived in Stars Hallow from birth, has owned and operated a diner for decades, has been a landlord to entire building next door for five years. It's a hard sell to the point that it boomerangs and makes Anna look ridiculous by making the assertion, IMO. If April was allowed to voice her opinion or if Luke got Jess to write a letter, that'd be even stronger than Lorelai's letter. IIRC, the judge ruled on a very generous custody arrangement with Luke that basically did everything short of ripping primary custody of Anna's hands which everyone knew wasn't going to happen after 12 years and Luke wasn't even suing for.) 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 5

Lorelei is so awful in Go Bulldogs. Mocking everything, not letting anyone else have a good time, etc. And it was ridiculous the plot line about Rory having fans among the other parents. Really?

22 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

Being open with your spouse has nothing to do with being manipulated, it has to do with being respectful, of your spouse and of your relationship.

I agree that it's much better to be married to someone who has enough respect for you and your past that they would be supportive of anything you felt you needed to do.  I just don't think this was the case with Christopher, especially since writing a character reference for Luke as a father had potential for hurt feelings in regards to Luke's relationship with Lorelai and Rory.  And if it comes down to a choice between being true to yourself and being respectful to your spouse/relationship, I would pick myself every time.

ETA Even though it seems contradictory, I would add that Lorelai didn't tell Chris she was writing the letter because she was trying to respect/protect him and their marriage.  If she was at the point where she wasn't trying, she would have just told him and dealt with however he reacted.  But since she wasn't ready to deal with the reality of her marriage she hid it.  

Edited by shron17
  • Love 2

I guess if I was faced with something that might upset my spouse, i would always go with being upfront about it so at least I wouldn't be hiding something AND doing the thing that would cause the upset.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

I guess if I was faced with something that might upset my spouse, i would always go with being upfront about it so at least I wouldn't be hiding something AND doing the thing that would cause the upset.

Exactly. At least Rory understands the importance of honesty in a relationship. Lorelai is my favourite character but boy does she annoy me during this time. Of course, that's because I like Chris and expected her to treat him better. When she did the same to Luke (and he to her), I took no issue with it. 

• Love 2

Kayak 

I like the image of Rory and Lorelai walking down the road together after the Jeep runs out of gas. Lorelai helping out a frazzled Emily was sweet too. It was nice to see Emily comfort her daughter, she did the same when Lorelai was upset about Luke. Bummer that she goes back to her distant, critical self by the next morning but it is not entirely unexpected. I liked Emily's kayak and canoe analogy, it made sense. 

TJ still annoys me but his saving grace is what a sweet partner he is to Liz. He supports her even when she makes the wacky jewelry. I feel the same way about Doyle. On his own, I don't like him but he's very supportive to Paris. 

Will you be My Lorelai Gilmore?

Rory is cute with her excitement over the phone call from the NYT. I loved her scenes with Lane. It was sweet of Lane to ask Rory to be her Lorelai but it is far more likely that Lorelai herself will be that person to the boys, since Rory will be gone from Stars Hollow. 

It was funny watching Lorelai play mediator between the Kim women. It's too bad no one did that for her and Emily, but then we wouldn't have a show. In so many ways, they show Lane as the next gen Lorelai. I am glad that she recognized all that Mrs Kim has done for her and that they made peace with each other. It was a cute moment of them pushing Lane through the street, very Stars Hollowian. 

• Love 4

I watched Unto the Breach last night.  Man, I get so sad every time I see Rory turn Logan down...just major sympathy for him as he walks away.  My husband won't even watch that episode with me.  He says it's too sad.  He likes Rory and Logan together.  I can get leaving her single, but they seemed very much in love and good together.  She wasn't that young.

Speaking of Unto the Breach, I'm so glad that Paris got a happy ending (which they mostly gave her a couple of episodes earlier...in Its Just Like Riding a Bike...when she opened all the letters).  I don't get teary often when watching GG, but the scene where Paris breaks down to Rory in the bar/restaurant gets me choked up every time.  It's just so touching.  She didn't want to find "the one" so early, but she did.  I don't know if it's just really good writing or acting or both, but I warned hubby that I was going to cry and I did...lol.  Love Doyle coming in and undoing their breakup....great stuff and a mighty sweet ending for Paris.  

• Love 8

Man, I get so sad every time I see Rory turn Logan down...just major sympathy for him as he walks away.

I, on the other hand, have no sympathy whatsoever.  He gave her an ultimatum and would not accept any compromise. Mr. Mywayorthehighway got what he deserved.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, cantbeflapped said:

I watched Unto the Breach last night.  Man, I get so sad every time I see Rory turn Logan down...just major sympathy for him as he walks away.  My husband won't even watch that episode with me.  He says it's too sad.  He likes Rory and Logan together.  I can get leaving her single, but they seemed very much in love and good together.  She wasn't that young.

I think, for me, the fact that Logan readily dumped her when she turned down his proposal made me feel less sympathy. He wanted all or nothing and expected that Rory would readily jump as she did back when they first met. Except that's not Rory. She was still growing as a person at 22 and they hadn't discussed marriage seriously at that point. They had been dating for two years, yes, but not everyone's ready at that point. Logan had a public proposal, something that even Lorelai/Christopher were surprised by, and I don't think that Rory turning down the proposal meant that they were moving backwards in any way. Sure, it sucks for Logan, who made all these plans and did all of this research, but he didn't really stop to consider if Rory wanted it. It's fine that he did all of the research to prove that he was serious about it, but the fact that he couldn't do the long distance at their young ages (I know he was 25 and she was 22) just showed that they were still at two very different points in their lives. 

I did like the foreshadowing an episode or two earlier, with Paris and Rory talking about careers and relationships and how Rory couldn't put her relationship over her career. And unfortunately, as much as Rory wanted both to be equal, Logan made the choice for her that it couldn't be that way. I really do like Logan a lot and I found myself liking their relationship, but I do think that Logan gave her an ultimatum without even offering her the ultimatum before he broke up with her. Much like Lorelai, which is why the Lorelai/Logan comparisons hold up so well. Logan/Lorelai wanted marriage, Rory/Luke couldn't jump into marriage for whatever reasons, and Logan/Lorelai couldn't accept waiting. 

So, even though Logan and Rory loved each other, Logan wanted all or nothing and Rory wanted more time. And because Logan believed that Rory turning down the proposal meant they were taking a step backwards, things were going to fall apart even if they had stayed together. I wonder what would have happened if Rory had gotten the Fellowship in New York. Would Logan have found a job in New York? I assume he would have. But because she didn't, I understand that she wanted to focus on herself. I think Logan, at the end of the series, still had a lot of growing up to do. Just because he left his father's company and went to make a name for himself, it didn't mean that he was ready emotionally for relationships. So, it sucked that Rory turned down his proposal and I feel some sympathy for him, but it was more the fact that he just broke up with her and couldn't try to wait for her that sucks. But that's very typical of his personality, as shown in season 6 when they "broke up" and several other times when things didn't work out. He's a runner and an avoider. I think he needed to grow out of that before he could fully commit to anything with Rory. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

She was still growing as a person at 22 and they hadn't discussed marriage seriously at that point

I do agree with this.  And I think the ending the ending they gave her was a nice open ended one....appropriate for her stage in life.  I guess it was just so sad the way it went down.  Sort of needed to be sudden though, with the series likely ending.  

7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, even though Logan and Rory loved each other, Logan wanted all or nothing and Rory wanted more time.

I hate plots where the love, that has been demonstrated over many previous episodes, is suddenly trumped by an inexplicable ultimatum. 

It's simply not believable that a couple who has fought their way back from really tough times throws it all over for a dramatic moment. So either the moment isn't real or the love isn't real, and since I've been so invested in the pair over the many previous episodes, I just end up hating the writers.

• Love 6

I'm sure it all had to do with the end of the series but I felt it was way too abrupt as well.  Wouldn't Logan have given it some thought before issuing the ultimatum?  If he truly loved her he wold have been hurt but I would have thought it would have been more realistic to at least give a long distance relationhip a try.  But, then, Richie Rich had always gotten exactly what he wanted when he wanted it so the childish response was in character.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm sure it all had to do with the end of the series but I felt it was way too abrupt as well.  Wouldn't Logan have given it some thought before issuing the ultimatum?  If he truly loved her he wold have been hurt but I would have thought it would have been more realistic to at least give a long distance relationhip a try.  But, then, Richie Rich had always gotten exactly what he wanted when he wanted it so the childish response was in character.

Agreed. I felt it was OOC after all the 'factoring each other in' and the love and the bending over backwards to be together when he was in London. Presumably it was to give them a cliffhanger for the next season. The eight potential season 8 episodes could have had weddings for both GG.

Gilmore Girls Only 

I liked original Mia better, she was more maternal and a better contrast with Emily. It's good to revisit that conflict again. Both Mia versions seem like she wants Lorelai and Emily to have a healthy relationship, she's respectful of Emily's role. I like that it's not tied up with a pretty bow, Lorelai and Emily will always have issues. 

I didn't care for Emily's attitude with the waitress. Obviously, she's used to speaking to her maids with scorn but it made her very unsympathetic. The trip must have been hard for her but she knew they were going to see Mia, why put herself through that? Hard to believe it was just to get away from Richard.

I liked Donna the ex-maid/hippie chick. Also the scenes of Mia with the girls were sweet. Nice detail that she has photos of them in her home. 

Hay Bale Maze

The scene of Rory, Logan, Paris, and Doyle seemed like a sitcom spinoff about four wacky roommates. I would watch that show. 

Rory and Logan are pretty cute in this episode. I love how entertained he is by the craziness of Stars Hollow. As a parent, I can totally see Lorelai's pov on the conflict with Logan. Rory has a rich dad and grandparents, plus a trust fund but most kids do not. It's a little reckless to turn down a job with benefits for a 6 week internship that she might not get. Lorelai finally understands it's not her place to give unsolicited opinions about Rory's life. A side effect of their rift? I like that she learned something from that time apart. 

Just like Riding a Bike 

Paris is so cute when she is hearing about her acceptance letters. 

I wish we got to see more of Lorelai and Jackson hanging out. I bet they had a blast. I had to laugh at Lorelai envisioning herself waving on a float. Of course she does. 

It's nice that Lorelai and Luke can be friends again. I like them when they are like this. I wish they had left their relationship this way but that's probably more realistic than the show would do. I don't care for the analogy of the wrecked but fixable dollhouse for their repairable relationship. It bums me out that they demolished the one thing from her childhood just to make another heavy handed hint about Lorelai and Luke. Subtlely is not the writers strong suit this season. 

• Love 4

Lorelai? Lorelai?

Rory's dream cracked me up, probably because we have all had dreams like that. Lorelai saying she needs a break, ciao kid and then Doyle acting like Rory's dad had me laughing. Lorelai's reaction to Luke's blue hat was also funny. 

Zack is sweet to insist on Lane and the boys going with him on tour. Lane is great to put her kids first and she wants Zack to follow his dreams. I know some people criticize this plotline but that's what you do when you have young kids: put them first.

I love that Lorelai got on stage for Rory. It's a bummer song though. I heard it played at someone's funeral once and I always associate it with sadness. Lauren did a great job pretending to sing off-key.

Logan asking for Lorelai's permission is very thoughful. But, maybe he could have given Rory some clue he was thinking about it. I did like how Matt played that scene, you could feel Logan's nervousness. 

Unto the Breach 

How much do I love Richard in the last two episodes? A lot a lot a lot. His and Emily's song, his pride in Rory, understanding Rory's reaction to the proposal, and his sweetness to Lorelai at the graduation. 

Logan is romantic in his proposal but it's all wrong. Rory would not want that to be a public moment, and he didn't understand that. It's a little telling that she had to ask her mom what to do. I am so glad Lorelai recognized it was something Rory had to figure out for herself. 

Lorelai is still acting like a teenage girl in her possible romantic relationships. She wants to know how Luke feels before she knows how she feels. She did this same exact thing just before they started dating. Even had a similar conversation with Rory about it. 

Lor and Chris are good again. :) I wish they could have stayed a couple but the fact that their friendship is still there, and they have the shared looks and smiles is enough. I am glad Chris finally learned to show up for Rory without factoring Lorelai in. Them cheering Rory on at the graduation always makes me smile. 

• Love 3

I hate Knit People Knot. Chris tries to do nice things and Lorelei just look poohs him over and over. Criticizes him at every turn, etc. Add to that the train wreck that is Anna and Luke plus Rory's Marty situation and the episode sucks. Marty was always socially awkward, so I can somewhat buy the fact he pretended he didn't know Rory. But the whole "still in love with her" thing is over the top.

Add another problem with that episode is that Chris still comes off like an idiot with: "How can you stand this town?" "They people do such stupid things." 

Edited by readster
missed a few words.
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, readster said:

Add another problem with that episode is that Chris still comes off like an idiot with: "How can you stand this town?" "They people do such stupid things." 

I know, I hate that about Chris! He's constantly slagging off the town and to someone who has lived there for yesrs and who loves it. Stupid!!

• Love 4

It's funny - I started LOVING Stars Hollow and all the townspeople's quirkiness.  But by season 7 the schtick was so tired and NEVER STOPPED that I found myself agreeing with Christopher when he said that :)

• Love 6

"And second, last I knew, I was about to go have a beer with a farmer. I don't think it really matters what I'm wearing."

Christopher, the condescending jerk.  That's your wife's best friend's husband, you idiot.  Great way to let her know how much you want to be part of her life in SH.  

• Love 7

I maintain that Chris would never just donate the total amount if he was at an Emily Gilmoreesque cocktail benefit or fancy shmancy auction for some charitable cause so that everyone could go home and miss the rest of the cocktail party or auction. Chris would intuitively understand the social and entertainment benefits of a fancy party continuing. Donating the total to stop the knitting was pure snobbery.

That said, Lorelai was ridiculous. I actually don't think the town did anything wrong re: Lorelai/Chris. They were polite and cordial to Chris- and Lorelai really can't ask for anything more. Lorelai isn't guaranteed frenetic worship of her every choice and she was such a brat in this ep to demand it. It was bratty to badmouth the town that way but also to demand that Chris suddenly transform himself into Stars Hallow Favorite Son when Lorelai knows that's not who he is or why she married him. I also think Lorelai "Let's throw a party over everything!" Gilmore's reticence about celebrating her marriage was such a sign that she didn't want to be married to him. It could be interpreted as just Lorelai's crusade against her parents if she planned another party for her marriage to Chris but she didn't. 

Plus, you'd think that Lorelai would feel better about her parents throwing a party for her marriage to Chris. One of the main benefits of Christopher is supposedly that Richard and Emily love him so it makes it easier to be a family.  I think Lorelai felt that way at the end of S2 when she so eagerly rushed to tell Emily that she and Chris were together after just one night of sex. However I think the end of S2 was the last chance for an unambiguously happy Lorelai/Chris ending. After S2, Rory grew up and wasn't a child anymore so there's no "putting a family together" benefit and Lorelai fell deeply in love with Luke. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

Plus, you'd think that Lorelai would feel better about her parents throwing a party for her marriage to Chris.

As opposed as she was initially, I can see why she started to really put on the brakes as it got blown into a full blown wedding reception. And Christopher should have been supporting her desires, not siding with Emily just to tick her off.  He was supposedly understanding of the relationship between the Gilmore generations but it didn't take long for him to get snotty with Lorelai and jump to into Emily's camp.  Smacked of "you won't play my game, I'm going off to play with the other kids, neener, neener".

• Love 3

I think Chris didn't understand Lorelai's attachment to the town and made fun of it because she did. But when she did it, it was making fun of something she loved.  He didn't get that. And I think he donated because everyone was out there complaining, saying they were miserable, etc. He just read the room wrong.

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

"And second, last I knew, I was about to go have a beer with a farmer. I don't think it really matters what I'm wearing."

Christopher, the condescending jerk.  That's your wife's best friend's husband, you idiot.  Great way to let her know how much you want to be part of her life in SH.  

I disagree. Lorelai's was being ridiculous, making him change clothes multiple times. If he had criticized her clothes so many times when they were going out with his friends, he would be seen as ridiculously controlling. I think he was pointing out that she was out of line acting like he had to wear certain clothes to go get a beer- he wasn't going to acountry club with entrance requirements,  he wasn't going out with a fashion plate. He seemed to genuinely like Sookie and Jackson, so I don't think he was being condescending.

Eh, I think Lorelai was opposed to a party throughout. She was kvetching about picking out anything from table decorations to invitations. I also don't think it was Chris's obligation to agree with Lorelai on the wedding party. It's his marriage too. He has every right to want a party or to want to exchange vows. Plus, Chris didn't agree to the reception until Rory said that she wanted the reception. 

Now, Chris was wrong to air all of his and Lorelai's conflicts in Merry Fisticuffs in front of Emily and the wedding planner. However, that's one instance where I think he was provoked. Lorelai was unreasonably resistant to everything within the party. As he said, "Maybe I should leave because it's not like you care about anything I have to say." I think that was very, very true. 

But I still really don't defend Chris with a mere "He read the room wrong" at the Knit-a-thon. Many charity benefits have some element of work. Should Chris have stopped a 5K run because people were sweating and uncomfortable from running? Should he have stopped a bake-sale because people find baking tiring? I think it's intuitive to the entire productive world that people may complain about work being uncomfortable, but people find dignity and satisfaction in doing something, despite the challenges, to achieve a good result. Except for layabout spoiled unproductive lazy-ass deadbeat Christopher. 

I also don't agree that people were "miserable." Lorelai was thoroughly enjoying herself. Sookie/Patty/Babbette were jaw-boning about their weather complaints but they seemed pleasant and into the whole witty banter of complaints. "It's part of a noble history of bad moves by Taylor."

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, deaja said:

Lorelai's was being ridiculous, making him change clothes multiple times.

She was acting like an idiot.  But my objection was the belittling phrase about "beer with a farmer".  Ranks right up there with calling Luke a "diner guy".   As if they were beneath his lofty place in society.

• Love 1

As much as I don't like Christopher all that much (the actor is the only part of Christopher that makes me tolerate him), I think that he really was trying. The problem was that he just didn't get it, and Lorelai's nagging didn't help matters. They were already having their issues, but Christopher was putting a lot on the line for this marriage. Now, that's not to say that he wasn't being a jerk about it, because he was. But much like how Lorelai consistently has turned up her nose at Emily and her lifestyle because she never fit in there, Christopher seemed to not be comfortable with the small town lifestyle, especially with the pestering, nosy townsfolk. 

Obviously, they rushed into marriage too quickly, so I think what Christopher needed was more time to adjust. I don't think anyone can expect him to be fully immersed in Stars Hollow and fit right in the groove of things right off the bat. Yes, he absolutely could have handled himself better. But I don't think he meant to come across as snobbish or full of himself. His donating to the Knit-A-Thon was most likely because he genuinely wanted to help, but didn't realize that the point of the event was to have fun and not just to make money. Christopher was never a part of a community quite like Stars Hollow, so he just didn't understand, nor did Lorelai explain it to him. 

However, I totally get the other side of the argument too, because Christopher knew this about Lorelai. He knew about her love for the town and he must have suspected that it was different than most. Yet, it was as if he was new to the whole thing, and moved there without knowing much about it. It just seemed odd all around. I just think that he gave a lot to the relationship, at least more than Lorelai. He really did try with her while she was so resistant. It's because I know Lorelai was not comfortable with the relationship and I think she knew deep down that it was just a rebound. It's a shame that Christopher couldn't see it and also lived in denial for months, but he really did try for her. 

Also, I'm echoing my opinion that the town grew worse over the seasons and I think if Christopher had moved in season 2, he might have liked the town. But by season 7, even I detested the town. Everyone was so nosey, so rude, and so condescending. 

• Love 1

One question I have on Season 7- Chris' job is referenced. Do we know what he did? I had assumed he quit his Season 2 job when he became loaded, but maybe not?

1 hour ago, deaja said:

One question I have on Season 7- Chris' job is referenced. Do we know what he did? I had assumed he quit his Season 2 job when he became loaded, but maybe not?

No, he was working still. I remember in a passing comment at Rory's graduation how he said he had a busy week at work or something to that effect. 

1 hour ago, deaja said:

I presume he had a new job managing the money. He was talking about giving multiple millions to Lorelai and his daughters, and since he wasn't one to deprive himself in spite of the false modesty he exhibited about it, I presume there were many millions more to administrate.

Re: the wedding celebration, while I strongly suspect that it was simply a stupid writer error, only Emily and Lorelai refer to divorce, and I fanwank that Christopher knew he wasn't legally married to Lorelai. He was always good at avoiding uncomfortable truths.

• Love 1

I just started rewatching this season and while I like Lorelai and Christopher together at some points, it seems really odd to me that she immediately hopped from being Luke's fiance to dating Christopher. She barely even grieved their relationship.

On Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 10:12 AM, deaja said:

I disagree. Lorelai's was being ridiculous, making him change clothes multiple times. If he had criticized her clothes so many times when they were going out with his friends, he would be seen as ridiculously controlling. I think he was pointing out that she was out of line acting like he had to wear certain clothes to go get a beer- he wasn't going to acountry club with entrance requirements,  he wasn't going out with a fashion plate. He seemed to genuinely like Sookie and Jackson, so I don't think he was being condescending.

I put all the blame on Lorelai. She made Chris feel like he had to win the townies over to be married to her. It's nuts. If I had done that to my partner, he would have laughed in my face. Chris loves her so he jumps through these ridiculous hoops but she shouldn't have been pushing him so hard.

On Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM, deaja said:

He was still working. He told Lynnie back in season 6 that he was in computer software. And after his quarrel with Lorelai over the wedding party, he says he had to go to work. I like that he still worked even though he didn't have to. I think his admittance of needing the structure back in season two was true. 

• Love 3

Bon Voyage 

Rory acts like a little girl while meeting her idol, hiding behind the corner. It's in character for her but makes me doubt her success as a go-getter reporter type. 

I agree with Lorelai that she and Luke are better as friends, though obviously it's not what is intended by the producers. I don't know whether to laugh or be annoyed by Lorelai saying she wants a man who can communicate how he feels. She had that with Chris! So, she wants Luke to act like Chris and vice versa. 

I like Emily's spa idea, and that Lorelai realized what was the reasoning behind it. Richard's words to Lorelai always make me smile. I really love him in these last episodes, and it's believable that someone who had a health scare later in life would examine some of their mistakes. Lorelai telling Rory it's too soon to fall apart has my heart. As does Rory telling her mom that she gave her everything she needed. 

Lane and Rory are adorable as always. I love their friendship. While Paris has more in common with adult Rory, Lane is a extended part of her family. 

The town setting up tables while Lorelai and Rory squabble makes me laugh every single time. I actually like the ending of the party scene. Showing the town would go on even if we don't see it. 

Phew! I did it. 5 episodes a week has been a lot for me but I am glad to have done it. Will probably revisit season 1, as that's my GG happy place.

• Love 5

I still don't understand why Lucy and the other girl were introduced. Was it to give Rory friends at Yale other than Paris?

On 10/25/2016 at 10:34 AM, heatherrrrz said:

I still don't understand why Lucy and the other girl were introduced. Was it to give Rory friends at Yale other than Paris?

The writers felt that TJ alone wasn't fulfilling the obnoxious factor?  That's all I got.

• Love 2