Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7

• Start Topic

I loved the party and that ending.  I loved how Luke worked so hard to make it happen, I loved how Richard praised Lorelai and that sweet moment, I loved Lorelai finding out about Luke’s involvement, and I loved how sweet and simple it all was.  

• Love 10
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I admire your dedication the The Girls! SOME of us had to wait for it to air every week, summer hiatus, Network changes, etc. to get our fix.

I said that to my son while we were binge watching...imagine having to wait a week to see what happens?  Sometimes more than 1 week?  We've become spoiled by Netflix and being able to watch whole seasons in 1 day.

GG was the perfect show for me these past couple of weeks...being quarantined and not going anywhere or dealing with anyone.

As much as I complained I did like the show.  I'm just not a fan of the fast talking banter (who really can do that anyway without stuttering here or there?), watching Rory grow up, enjoying the townies, getting annoyed at Lorelai, etc... (insert various complaints here..lol)

BTW I hated that Jackson broke the doll house.  What was the point in that happening?  

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Cetacean said:
11 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I feel bad for Logan.

And different strokes and all but I thought Richie Rich did exactly what I expected he would do as an entitled brat - throw a tantrum when he didn't get exactly what he wanted and stomp off like a toddler ruining one of the biggest events in the life of someone he supposedly loved.  Rory had just graduated from college with a world of possibilities in front of her but, no, it was all about him.  I found him to be a selfish little brat.

[…]

Not that I am a huge Rory fan but she was only 21 for heaven's sake.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion over the years that the show would have been better/made more sense if it had been set in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Rory could have been in the first coed class at Yale and all the concern and speculation about who she would marry would have made more sense, since the idea of women's liberation wouldn't have taken hold in a place like Stars Hollow (or for people of Emily and Richard's age and class) yet. I also don't believe there were very many young men of Logan's background (rich, well-connected Yale graduates) in 2007 who were eager to get married at 22/23.

However I should probably disclose that I hate Logan in general. I find the actor just fundamentally smarmy, and all the character's complaining about being forced into the family business rang hollow because we never saw him be interested in anything other than living a life of pointless privilege. If he had wanted to be a scientist, for instance, or a musician, but was being forced into the news industry, then I might have sympathized with him. But we never saw that. He was basically a redo of Tristan, except this time the character got to date Rory.

Edited by Hera
  • Love 7

So I was out of town for a week and just returned to Stars Hollow today. I swear Lorelai tells the Pestilence-That-Is-Christopher that she loves him so often that I have a sore throat from the gag reflex and I think she doth protest over much and by “much” I mean she’s continually propping up his petulant ego and I don’t get it. At all. He’s exhausting.

However, watching Luke duck that snotty rich boy’s first attempt at a punch and then clock the living daylights out of that expensive orthodontia made me just a little too exhilarated to be entirely healthy.

Oh, show. I loved you once.

ETA: I say we fix up Pestilence and Anna. She’d have his genitalia for earrings after three dates and she’s pretty much Lorelai’s clone physically.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

ETA: I say we fix up Pestilence and Anna. She’d have his genitalia for earrings after three dates and she’s pretty much Lorelai’s clone physically.

The Palladinos have a thing for pale brunettes with blue eyes. The lead in …Mrs. Maisel is that type as well. Sutton Foster has brown eyes, so I suppose you could say that Bunheads (which I never watched) bucked the trend, but I see Julia Goldani Telles (who turns up as Sandee in A Year in the Life) had a lead role in that, so maybe it didn't, depending on how much her character was featured.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It says something sad about my relationship with Season 7 that it’s taken me this long to get to the long-awaited dumping of the Christopher episode...but hallelujah, that useless crapwad of self-absorption and entitlement is finally gone. My joy is tempered by only two things...

1) “You’re the man I want to want.” WTF, Lorelai? Why? Why? Let me help. Let’s go with, “I’ve known your petulant, selfish ass for twenty years...and somehow, magically, you’ve managed to avoid maturing one iota. Inside you’re still the same fifteen year-old putz you were then and hiring a nanny with your inherited money to take care of the second kid you accidentally sired doesn’t change that one bit. You let me down and left me alone and made it all about you when I needed you most yet again and I don’t need that shit, thank you very much. NOW GET OUT.”

Now THAT’S the way you dump a Christopher. Jesus. 

2) May I say that the actress playing April is so bad it’s almost tragic and I alternate between smacking my forehead and actually feeling sorry for her. It’s like they hired some random girl out of a shopping mall, plunked her down in front of seasons 1 thru 3, said “Copy Rory, but without the ethereal beauty and slight shyness that made it tolerable.”  Leave her in New Mexico. I’m begging, here. She’s happy, we’re happy, her usefulness as an utterly terrible plot device is over...bye, April. Consider other careers.

Thank God for Michel. I must confess...I actually cried during his dog’s memorial. Sniff. Also I need the name of whatever hair product Gil started using this season, because his hair looks fabulous.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

It says something sad about my relationship with Season 7 that it’s taken me this long to get to the long-awaited dumping of the Christopher episode...but hallelujah, that useless crapwad of self-absorption and entitlement is finally gone. My joy is tempered by only two things...

1) “You’re the man I want to want.” WTF, Lorelai? Why? Why? Let me help. Let’s go with, “I’ve known your petulant, selfish ass for twenty years...and somehow, magically, you’ve managed to avoid maturing one iota. Inside you’re still the same fifteen year-old putz you were then and hiring a nanny with your inherited money to take care of the second kid you accidentally sired doesn’t change that one bit. You let me down and left me alone and made it all about you when I needed you most yet again and I don’t need that shit, thank you very much. NOW GET OUT.”

2) May I say that the actress playing April is so bad it’s almost tragic and I alternate between smacking my forehead and actually feeling sorry for her. It’s like they hired some random girl out of a shopping mall, plunked her down in front of seasons 1 thru 3, said “Copy Rory, but without the ethereal beauty and slight shyness that made it tolerable.”  Leave her in New Mexico. I’m begging, here. She’s happy, we’re happy, her usefulness as an utterly terrible plot device is over...bye, April. Consider other careers.

Thank God for Michel. I must confess...I actually cried during his dog’s memorial. Sniff. Also I need the name of whatever hair product Gil started using this season, because his hair looks fabulous.

So, I took “you are the man I want to want” as they are married and she just wants to make the marriage work, but knows she really does love Luke. Nothing about their history just the commitment.

April had a lead in a show called “Switched at Birth”. Ironically, she has a guest role in Parenthood as a girl Lauren Graham’s son had a crush on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

“You’re the man I want to want.”

I thought that made sense. Rory's, what, 22 and however many months? Which means Lorelai had been hearing for 23 years that she should have married Chris for getting her pregnant and that she was the world's greatest disappointment for refusing to do so. She also did believe in the image of parents being together rather than with other people as evidenced by her "I really wanted to marry your dad" comment to Rory after the (illegal) elopement. But she wasn't in love with Chris. Yes, she was also in love with Luke but this confession didn't have anything to do with him. Lorelai was finally acknowledging that, no, she wasn't in love with Chris and never would be and, more importantly, finally laying to rest the part of her that believed she was a massive failure for not marrying him 23 years ago. I'm glad they specifically had Sookie ask Lorelai if Chris would be The One if Luke never existed because that's what this was all about. If the answer is yes, then work on the marriage, but the answer was no. The sooner Lorelai and Chris faced up to that reality the better off each would be.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I thought that made sense. Rory's, what, 22 and however many months? Which means Lorelai had been hearing for 23 years that she should have married Chris for getting her pregnant and that she was the world's greatest disappointment for refusing to do so. She also did believe in the image of parents being together rather than with other people as evidenced by her "I really wanted to marry your dad" comment to Rory after the (illegal) elopement. But she wasn't in love with Chris. Yes, she was also in love with Luke but this confession didn't have anything to do with him. Lorelai was finally acknowledging that, no, she wasn't in love with Chris and never would be and, more importantly, finally laying to rest the part of her that believed she was a massive failure for not marrying him 23 years ago. I'm glad they specifically had Sookie ask Lorelai if Chris would be The One if Luke never existed because that's what this was all about. If the answer is yes, then work on the marriage, but the answer was no. The sooner Lorelai and Chris faced up to that reality the better off each would be.

Agree!

3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Thank God for Michel. I must confess...I actually cried during his dog’s memorial. Sniff.

It was very moving. I like that they made Pau Pau and Chin Chin part of the series (but never "too much") instead of it just being a one-off comment that he wanted to start adopting Chow puppies after the Inn burned. I thought the memorial was well done and I was SO glad they didn't turn it into a clown show (like poor Fran's funeral).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

"I really wanted to marry your dad" comment to Rory after the (illegal) elopement. But she wasn't in love with Chris. Yes, she was also in love with Luke but this confession didn't have anything to do with him.

I guess I always felt it was because of Luke as well because of how she was looking for him in the window, and how sad she looked at him. Plus, she admitted to Sookie and Chris she still had feelings for him.

• Love 2

1) “You’re the man I want to want.” WTF, Lorelai? Why? Why? Let me help. Let’s go with, “I’ve known your petulant, selfish ass for twenty years...and somehow, magically, you’ve managed to avoid maturing one iota. Inside you’re still the same fifteen year-old putz you were then and hiring a nanny with your inherited money to take care of the second kid you accidentally sired doesn’t change that one bit. You let me down and left me alone and made it all about you when I needed you most yet again and I don’t need that shit, thank you very much. NOW GET OUT.”

Bravo! How I wish that had been the way it had she handled it.

• Love 3
On 2/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, Oldernowiser said:

That would have been awesome!

• Love 2

Okay, so I watched the last episode. No Christopher, no April, no Logan or Jess...hooray. Too much Taylor, but happy endings at long, long last. All good.

Do I watch the sequel or will it destroy my current happy place?

To be clear, Rory can do whatever. Fine. But I am NOT NOT NOT up for yet another Luke/Lorelai breakup. Not. I will leave them in the diner in my mind framed by twinkle lights and smiling at each other forevermore.

So...opinions?

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Up to you but let me just say that, in my opinion, it was an abomination in all ways.  It was the worst of everything the Palladinos strove for.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay, so I watched the last episode. No Christopher, no April, no Logan or Jess...hooray. Too much Taylor, but happy endings at long, long last. All good.

To be clear, Rory can do whatever. Fine. But I am NOT NOT NOT up for yet another Luke/Lorelai breakup. Not. I will leave them in the diner in my mind framed by twinkle lights and smiling at each other forevermore.

So...opinions?

I think it's worth a look. There is some good acting and it's interesting to see how everybody ends up. I think it's far inferior to the regular run of the show. YMMV.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

So...opinions?

I was so excited to see it. I expected to see conversations between the characters to fill in the nine years, but no! It is obviously 9 years later but it’s like it’s only been a year including driving the jeep and truck. Scott Patterson wears a dumb wig (giving him more hair than before) and giant flannels. Lauren Graham’s Botox makes her once wonderful facial acting look weird. Plus they still don’t communicate. When I fast forward through all 4 seasons and watch the parts I kind of like, I’m done in about an hour. Rory is more of a train wreck than ever. Emily has the best story of them all. I’ve seen some people like it but not many. If you do, I’ll look forward to your feedback.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

With this criteria, I think you'll be okay with watching it. As @Cetacean said, it's pretty much an abomination, heh, but @FictionLover is right in that Emily has a good and interesting storyline. Rory fares the worst (by FAR) and almost all of the characters regress in many ways since ASP decided to be a horse's ass and pretend like S7 never really happened, so any progress characters like Logan made in S7 was completely erased, but L/L were in a pretty good place throughout, as I recall. (Keep in mind I've only watched it once and don't plan on watching it again, so if there are small incidents which happen along the way I may not remember.) 

Just know going in that the characters are all kind of caricatures of themselves, and you'll be okay. I think.

52 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

Lauren Graham’s Botox makes her once wonderful facial acting look weird.

LG's appearance is a true travesty, and I don't say that to be shallow. I will never understand why Hollywood thinks that trying to make older women appear to be in their 30's forever is a good idea. It's just sad and pathetic and really does not work.

• Love 6

I think it’s worth a watch, and enjoyed it more than most, but keep your expectations at season 6/7. And prepare yourself for the horror show that’s Lauren’s face. 

• Love 3

If you are a fan of the LDB, you might enjoy it (confession: I do - I love me some Colin and Quinn, sue me).  Rory though... yikes. You can tell that ASP approached it as though no time had passed instead of what? 10 years? 12? It'd be one (not great) thing for her to behave as she does at 23, but for a woman in her 30s... yikes.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Eeksquire said:

It'd be one (not great) thing for her to behave as she does at 23, but for a woman in her 30s... yikes.

That was my biggest problem with it. It was like the Rory-drops-out-of-Yale storyline on steroids.

• Love 3

Something occurred to me while looking at the thread for season 6: I hate Lane's storyline in season 6 and 7. In fact, I'm not sure I can confidently say that the April storyline is worse than Lane's.

I liked Lane and Dave Rygalski just fine, and wouldn't have minded if they had stuck together, but Adam Brody got a better offer on a different show, so it was out of the writers' and producers' hands. But why did they feel a need to force a romance between Lane and Zack? It made no sense for either one of the characters. Zack is way more like Todd, the doofus Lane has a crush on until she goes on a double-date with him (and Rory and Dean) and finds out his favorite movie is Beethoven. A suitable replacement for Dave Rygalski, he is not. In fact, Gil (his marriage and kids, aside) or even Brian would have made more sense than Zack. But really, once Dave was gone, why did they feel like they had to stick the plan of having Lane pair off with someone from her band? She couldn't have dated around for a little bit? They couldn't have taken some time to create a character and find an actor that made sense to pair with Lane for good?

And words cannot express how much I hated that Lane ended up pregnant in season 7 and that Zack got to go on tour without her. I'm less offended by the marriage, since Lane's refusal to have premarital sex made a certain amount of sense for the character, but the pregnancy was a bridge too far for me. She never even gets to move out of Stars Hollow, for crying out loud!

I realize that plenty of people marry and start families young, but that never seemed to be Lane's dream­ (and also, no one's watching Gilmore Girls for its gritty realism). It's frustrating that the closest she got to it before she got pregnant (the first time she ever has sex, no less) was that tour of Seventh Day Adventist colleges that her mother arranged and the showcase for the label that Zack sabotaged. Why couldn't she have moved to New York or some other city and joined its local music scene? It would have been awesome to compare and contrast Lane's path through early adulthood as a young musician with that of Rory's more traditional one at college. But instead, no, Lane's life is once again more restricted than Rory's due to family obligations.

So yeah—in my opinion, the showrunners really did Lane dirty. With April, they made up an entirely new character (two, actually) in order to drive a temporary wedge between Luke and Lorelai—but it was only temporary. With Lane, they just seem to have decided that she should be the one character who's been there since Day 1 who doesn't get what she wants.

• Love 7

And words cannot express how much I hated that Lane ended up pregnant in season 7 and that Zack got to go on tour without her. I'm less offended by the marriage, since Lane's refusal to have premarital sex made a certain amount of sense for the character, but the pregnancy was a bridge too far for me. She never even gets to move out of Stars Hollow, for crying out loud!

I agree. Lane really got a raw deal. She could have done so much more musically. It sucked that TIIC saddled her with not just one but two babies when she was just beginning to see her dreams of playing in a successful band come to fruition.

• Love 4

So finally started season 7. Thought I would kick it off by saying what a disgusting piece of trash Christopher is.

Anyway. I haven't seen this since it aired and I was too upset to be objective at the time lol. I thought it started with Christopher and Lorelai married but nope had to watch the morning after.

Eh I get why Lorelai did it to pull the bandaid off but it still gets to me when he comes back the next day and wants to marry her. I wonder if she hadn't slept with the POS maybe it would have been OK.

The scenes with the townspeople all felt good and sharp and not really a missed beat without ASP. 

The raquet ball seemed dumb and didnt really make sense. Just seemed stuck in there as filler.

Going to have to start ff Rory's scenes again. Um Rory if you are worried or confused about Logan you could, you know, use your words. I'm team Mitchum.

• Love 3

Well double post. Just finished ep 3.

So I made it this far, was feeling good, was thinking it's not as bad as I thought, liked some of it, pretty much on par with other seasons. And then Lorelai called the POS at the end of the ep. 

And puke lol. It just seems like she is degrading herself. It's worse than the Buffy and Spike dumpster sex.

Sigh. But for the rest- I do enjoy there has been more focus on the town and inn and less on Luke's sister and TJ.

The thing with Lane is awful- I didn't realize that must have been David Rosenthal's idea bc ASP was gone at this point. How horrible.

• Love 3
On 5/28/2016 at 4:28 PM, hippielamb said:

I thought it was strange that the judge or court liaison didn't speak to April. Maybe that happened off screen. She was old enough to give her opinion on the matter. I found the whole thing a little off but then I live in another country. 

It was odd and off. Regarding the Luke and Anna custody battle, it was great to see Luke grow a pair and finally stand up for his fatherly rights. It was additionally welcome to see the writers correctly recite the proper “best interests of the child” legal standard to determine custody issues. However, the writers fell short in some other respects. I claim no particular expertise in Connecticut domestic relations law, but have some knowledge of general child custody issues. Where the custodial parent wants to move the child to another state, especially one more than a thousand miles away, the non-custodial parent frequently has significant leverage to scuttle that plan. Where the custodial parent has already cut off visitation to the non-custodial parent, as Anna vindictively and baselessly did to Luke here, the non-custodial parent has further leverage. Cutting off visitation is close to a nuclear option here.

For Luke’s lawyer to omit discussing any of this was essentially malpractice. And Anna’s lawyer wasn’t much better. It’s not really a great argument to complain that Luke has had no contact with April for 12 years when your client is the sole reason why April had had no contact with Luke for 12 years. In addition, April is not an infant like Doula, or a Santa-obsessed 4 years old like GG. She’s old enough to have an opinion on where she should live and a real Court would have sought out that opinion. That April strongly objected to moving to New Mexico would have further strengthened Luke’s position. None of this made it into the custody dispute episode. I realize this show is not a legal procedural, but if you’re going to present a custody battle, it wouldn’t have hurt this subplot to avoid these errors. Luke won, and these points could have further explained why. Having that decision appear as a result from Lorelai’s reference-letter is not realistic (those types of letters are at most a sideshow), but focusing on the significance of that reference-letter seems to be the point the writers wanted to convey.

Edited by ahpny
  • Love 8

She’s old enough to have an opinion on where she should live and a real Court would have sought out that opinion.

In Washington state, at least she would have had a very large voice in this. My son's friend's parents got divorced and since he was over twelve, he got to choose who he wanted to live with.

• Love 3

Having just completed the entire original 7-season run, and having some trepidation about beginning to tackle the 2016 continuation, one of the things that stood out for me was the Mia wedding episode. I thought that was well done, subtle were appropriate, and poignant without being sappy. The ability of the characters - some for the first time - to read the emotions of the others correctly and take unforced actions to avoid unnecessary harm was progress. Indeed, there was some welcome growth all around and Mia couldn't have been more gracious and welcoming. Even Emily melted a bit. And Emily had a point: "Richard" is a "noble name," "Howard," well, maybe not so much.

Through no fault of the writers, who can't be charged with knowing the future, the Richard - heart attack episode was hard to view given the actual events with Edward Herrmann just a few years later.

• Love 5

I'm continuing my practice of just fast forwarding through every scene April or her mother is in. It is making it more enjoyable. Also fastforwarding a lot of the scenes with Rory and Logan. I would ff through Lorelai's scenes with the POS but then I would be done the whole season in like 15 mins.

Rosenthal should just have just done what soaps do and just have April off screen and Luke could just occasionally mention her. 

Edited by cleo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I love it when I catch something new on a re-watch.  When Jackson admitted to Sookie that he’d never gotten an vasectomy and she as a result got pregnant, she storms off with Lorelai and says ‘I’d just given birth and that big baby expected me to hold his hand through a vasectomy? What’s next, do I have to cut all his meat for him?’

Lorelai cracks ‘I don’t think Jackson wants his meat cut’  

I only just realized the double entendre about him not wanting a vasectomy. 😮😮😮😂

• LOL 3

I mentioned in another thread, I'm not a Rory/Logan fan because I'm not impressed by Alexis's chemistry with any of the main three guys, but I do like Logan, largely because I love Matt Czuchry. In my regular rewatch, it struck me that one of the more random scenes of his that I love on an acting level is in S7 when Logan decides to put Marty on blast for having lied to his girlfriend. I love every part of the way Matt plays that from start to finish. You can see he's sort of considering it at the beginning. He's glancing at Marty, he's still annoyed, he's talking about things that COULD lead there, but not necessarily would. And then Marty makes the crack about his trust fund. And you can actually see Logan mentally go "Well, screw this" and he promptly asks Lucy how she and Marty met, knowing full well Lucy will ask the same question of him about him and Rory (which of course, is that Marty technically introduced them). I just love Matt's eyes and facial expressions throughout this whole scene. 

I also have no sympathy because I never liked Marty and then he turned full asshole/creeper in S7. And I have no idea why Rory played along with it other than she was being her usual passive self. 

I love all the Christopher hate in this thread. LOVE. Christopher was the worst. He totally only cared about Rory if he thought he could use her to get to Lorelai, all the way up to the seventh season. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Cristofle said:

I love all the Christopher hate in this thread. LOVE. Christopher was the worst. He totally only cared about Rory if he thought he could use her to get to Lorelai, all the way up to the seventh season. 

That pretty much sums up my hatred for Christopher. Well, that and all the praise absolutely nothing.

• Love 2

Logan and Rory had potential in season seven. Logan had progressed enough that I didn't hate him except for him blowing off his father and running off to Vegas when his deal went bad and the whole proposal thing especially when he told her not to worry about factoring him in when it came to looking for a job. Rory was much more likable that season except for that article she wrote as if she wasn't privliaged and going along with the stupid lying about not knowing Marty. I would have been fine with Rory and Logan remaining together but dating at distance depending on where she found a job. Neither were ready for marriage. Logan's progression was still too new and Rory if she was serious about being a journalist needed put that first. I don't know if they ever really had anything in common. Whether they should end up together I don't know. I'm not sure she ever met the "one". Dean definitely wasn't it. They really didn't have anything in common which is fine for a first boyfriend but they didn't have anything lasting.

I hated Jess in the early seasons. That Jess I didn't want to end up with Rory. He was a jerk to everyone including Rory. He was too messed up to be in relationship. As for season six? I don't know him well enough to know if he should end up with Rory or not or someone else. He had progressed which is great. I like that he apologized to Luke and published a book. But I don't want route he was going to take. Was he going to an author? Something else and an author? But I just don't see Jess and Rory ever ending up together. They didn't have anything in common before except loving to read. I think he should end up with someone else. As for in the Revival?  They don't really give us much on what Jess has been up to and what he was currently up too. Why was he in Stars Hollow? He always hated that town. I can't see him ever wanting go back except to visit Luke. Rory of the Revival of course was a mess that really shouldn't end up with anyone. She was mess because was too lazy to work and still cheating. 

Rory in general I don't really know what she actually wants or who she wants to be to know guess what kind of guy she wants to be with. She seems to really like the rich rich world. Is that what she wants? To be married and organize fundraisers like Emily? Does she want to really run all over the world chasing stories? Spending months in a warzone?  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

They don't really give us much on what Jess has been up to and what he was currently up too. Why was he in Sleepy Hollow?

That made me giggle. That would have been an interesting.....twist to the show. Heh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Cristofle said:

Thanks to a brilliant comment I believe was posted here, about how when Christopher met Sherry and had Gigi, that he suddenly got a work ethic and wasn't any more available for Rory than earlier.

Lorelai, probably because of her romantic notions, bears part of the bad relationship burden. (Christopher has the overwhelming piece, though). She encouraged her childhood friend too often to hang around. That encouraged him to come because of Lorelai, not Rory. 
I almost wish for a teenage LC marriage and written custody agreement after the divorce. It would have made things more clear.

But, yeah, I hate Christopher a lot, too.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, junienmomo said:

Lorelai, probably because of her romantic notions, bears part of the bad relationship burden. (Christopher has the overwhelming piece, though). She encouraged her childhood friend too often to hang around. That encouraged him to come because of Lorelai, not Rory. 

Yes, I think Lorelai by and large could not bear to fully admit that Christopher never had and never would make Rory his first priority and that indeed he often used her to get something he wanted (mostly Lorelai but he also at one point only contacted her because SHERRY seemed interested in her). I think she knew it on some level. I think that's what she meant by "He needs to grow up, he needs to have the right priorities", etc. She just...couldn't fully face it, she kept hoping he would change, and to some extent that harmed Rory especially when she was younger. Thankfully, by S7 Rory has somewhat steeled herself against her father's failures (she both wasn't THAT surprised he didn't show up at the hospital and adamantly blamed him for the fallout because he should've shown up, she wasn't surprised Lorelai and Christopher got divorced). But Rory still seems to adopt Lorelai's "Well, if he DOES show up, great! Open arms until the next time he lets us down!" Probably a human desire, but it's sad nonetheless and one of the reasons Christopher is so frustrating - right up to the end, he's never fully held accountable for what a bad father he is. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Yep. While I'm not as much of a Christopher apologist as I've been in the past (mostly because the Revival soured me so much on the show's ongoing arcs as a whole -- I really have to wonder if ASP realizes how much she alienated her hardcore fans with that nonsensical bullsh!t) I will always maintain that Lorelai had as much responsibility for her on/off relationship with Christopher as he did. We can argue his motives for being there all day long, but the fact is when he showed up at the Gilmore mansion trying to at least talk to Lorelai and Rory because they were both ignoring his calls, it was Lorelai who made it clear that if they weren't in a romantic relationship she didn't want him around.

LORELAI: Christopher, is Sherry still pregnant?

CHRISTOPHER: Of course she is.

LORELAI: Are you still with her?

CHRISTOPHER: Yes.

LORELAI: Are you gonna marry her?

CHRISTOPHER: Yes.

LORELAI: Then, honey, we are where we are! Accept it.

• Love 1

I am definitely more angry at Christopher in his role as a "father" (he really doesn't deserve for the title not be in quotes). I don't like Lorelai and Christopher. It's an understatement to say I do not think he brings out the best in her and in terms of the show, her arc is the main one and he is not important at all, so I'm frustrated it took the entire seven seasons for Lorelai to finally come to the conclusion that she may "want to want him" - but she doesn't. She's never really been in love with him and she never will be. He was a fantasy of a nuclear family and a relic of her mostly trashed childhood. Alas, I cannot truly say it's all on him that she took so long to realize that - it was a mutually toxic situation. I still lean towards him being the biggest problem there, but even that is largely rooted in his consistent failings of Rory. It spoke volumes that Lorelai was shocked when Rory was like 16-17 that she had a bed at Christopher's house (which seems obviously fueled on by Sherry). Lorelai didn't just cut out the noble, sad Christopher, which is often the way he's seemed to sell it. She did not want to get married at 16 (because it was a terrible idea) and so he NEVER bothered to step up and become the father Rory needed on any level. Completely apart from Lorelai, he should have been focused on stable employment and a safe, consistent space for Rory to be. Lorelai gave him a lot more slack than he deserved on that front - probably a combination of rose colored glasses on her part and somewhat understandably not wanting to tell her daughter "Look, your father sucks and he doesn't really care about you if something isn't in it for him". But that is still his fault. No one is responsible for how consistently terrible he was to Rory but him. I am so, so grossed out about how long he can simply vanish from Rory's life if she doesn't have some kind of value to him - usually to get to Lorelai, but there was also a period where it was wanted by Sherry. That's what I really loathe him for. Sure, he was in the way of my ship, but I can accept some of that blame going to Lorelai. I do not accept that it is in any way her fault what a terrible non-parent he is. And I think even Christopher realized in S7 that Lorelai was saying "Luke has always been there for my daughter no matter where our relationship has been" in a direct contrast to him, even if she didn't name him. Because Luke loved Rory for Rory. He loved Rory and was kind to her and supported her and helped her whenever she needed it completely apart from Lorelai. 

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Cristofle said:

No one is responsible for how consistently terrible he was to Rory but him. I am so, so grossed out about how long he can simply vanish from Rory's life if she doesn't have some kind of value to him

23 hours ago, Cristofle said:

And I think even Christopher realized in S7 that Lorelai was saying "Luke has always been there for my daughter no matter where our relationship has been" in a direct contrast to him, even if she didn't name him. Because Luke loved Rory for Rory. He loved Rory and was kind to her and supported her and helped her whenever she needed it completely apart from Lorelai. 

Superb post, I could not agree more !

• Love 3
On 12/15/2021 at 1:05 AM, Cristofle said:

I also have no sympathy because I never liked Marty and then he turned full asshole/creeper in S7. And I have no idea why Rory played along with it other than she was being her usual passive self. 

I'm with you on this. Never saw the appeal of him and that lie was just a mess waiting to happen.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I'm with you on this. Never saw the appeal of him and that lie was just a mess waiting to happen.

Earlier on, he was just like the epitome of the friendzone notion even before it became a thing - he liked her, she only liked him as a friend, he was clearly angry about it, etc. But S7, he got real weird. And there was SO no reason for the lie, except he was way more into Rory than he was even letting on? But why? LOL. 

• Love 4
On 12/16/2021 at 11:47 AM, Cristofle said:

Earlier on, he was just like the epitome of the friendzone notion even before it became a thing - he liked her, she only liked him as a friend, he was clearly angry about it, etc. But S7, he got real weird. And there was SO no reason for the lie, except he was way more into Rory than he was even letting on? But why? LOL. 

I don't know. The whole thing was weird. He was dating someone who was way into him and that wasn't enough for him?

• Love 6
On 12/18/2021 at 2:34 AM, andromeda331 said:

I don't know. The whole thing was weird. He was dating someone who was way into him and that wasn't enough for him?

And she was really cute and great! Of course, my pre-existing love of Krysten Ritter (due to Veronica Mars) and my subsequent love of her (due mostly to Jessica Jones) could very well be coloring that view, but generally I thought Lucy was cute. Why was Marty still obsessed with Rory? That did not track. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Cristofle said:

And she was really cute and great! Of course, my pre-existing love of Krysten Ritter (due to Veronica Mars) and my subsequent love of her (due mostly to Jessica Jones) could very well be coloring that view, but generally I thought Lucy was cute. Why was Marty still obsessed with Rory? That did not track. 

I admit I find Lucy annoying (and Olivia) but she was nice and really into Marty. I don't know why he was still into Rory. Its not like they actually dated and it ended badly. He was interested in her, she wasn't and he parted ways when he realize she was into Logan. That's it. It makes no sense. 

• Love 4
On 12/21/2016 at 9:45 AM, Enigma X said:

Finally done with the original series and even saw the first episode of the Netflix series.

This season really fleshed Zack out for me. I now see what he has to offer Lane. I know most people did not watch this show for Zack or many of the peripheral characters. I find them to be refreshing. I also think this season did a good job with showing us April's personality. I like that kid. Paris grew into one of my favorite characters as well. I was prepared to dislike Liz and TJ when they were introduced but didn't.

With that said, this season just screamed that it was time to end. Both of the Gilmore Girls' romances this season just seemed so off. Lorelai seemed to work extra hard at convincing herself that she (romantically) loved Christopher, and I am not sure why this time it was so important to do that when the other times it wasn't. And Logan just never seemed like Rory's type, even after he supposedly became more responsible. Logan will forever be an entitled rich kid. I wonder if part of the takeaway is that Christopher, Logan, Lorelai, and Rory will always be entitled rich kids at heart, even if you take a couple out of that environment. And, to a certain extent, Lorelai and Rory just moved to an area where a whole town showered that entitlement dust all over them. The town celebrated Lorelai's birthday in one episode and then they all come out to celebrate Rory's graduation. I said in another thread that Stars Hollow loves their Gilmore Girls and that they do. That is not bad and I know this was for creative license. Still, I am going to be that viewer who feels bad for the unseen residents of Stars Hollow that go unnoticed.

Luke standing up to Anna and taking responsibility for April and wanting to be active in her life was awesome and contrasted Christopher and Rory's relationship in my opinion.

And of course, Rory does not get the NYT's job but she gets to cover (Pres.) Sen. Obama's campaign bid. I would expect nothing less. And no surprise at all that Luke and Lorelai end up together either.

Personally, if the show ended with Rory jobless but hopeful I would not have thought that an unhappy ending at all.

For me to get through a re-watch (and yes, I'm masochistic enough that I've watched the series more than once), I tell myself that Gilmore Girls is like the Buffy episode Normal Again, where Buffy thinks she's in a psychiatric hospital. I tell myself that Lorelia is really in a psychiatric hospital and she has dreamed up Stars Hollow where everyone loves her and her child and they never do any wrong. Her mother is a cartoon character of an evil woman and never loved Lorelia. Of course it doesn't all fit, but it's how I get through the periods where I just want to reach out and slap the characters.

On a completely different note, I LOVE the character of Gil. The first time I watched, I really wasn't a big fan of his, but on subsequent re watches I really enjoy his character. Here is a guy you assume is going to be a stereotypical hair band/metal head, but he is sweet, thoughtful, very talented and has no prejudices or preconceptions of how people or situations are to be. He is open to most anything and gets excited about things that Zach grumps all over.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, GallwayGirl said:

On a completely different note, I LOVE the character of Gil. The first time I watched, I really wasn't a big fan of his, but on subsequent re watches I really enjoy his character. Here is a guy you assume is going to be a stereotypical hair band/metal head, but he is sweet, thoughtful, very talented and has no prejudices or preconceptions of how people or situations are to be. He is open to most anything and gets excited about things that Zach grumps all over.

I ADORE Gil, and being a child of the 80s/90s whose preferred genre of music is still rock including the hair band rock, just the fact that they had Sebastian Bach as a regular on my favorite show meant that I was going to love Gil no matter what. But he is the best for all the reasons you pointed out.

Plus, he's yum yum like long-haired cake. Ah, Babette. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 8/5/2022 at 9:29 AM, GallwayGirl said:

For me to get through a re-watch (and yes, I'm masochistic enough that I've watched the series more than once), I tell myself that Gilmore Girls is like the Buffy episode Normal Again, where Buffy thinks she's in a psychiatric hospital. I tell myself that Lorelia is really in a psychiatric hospital and she has dreamed up Stars Hollow where everyone loves her and her child and they never do any wrong. Her mother is a cartoon character of an evil woman and never loved Lorelia. Of course it doesn't all fit, but it's how I get through the periods where I just want to reach out and slap the characters.

On 8/5/2022 at 12:41 PM, Taryn74 said:

I ADORE Gil, and being a child of the 80s/90s whose preferred genre of music is still rock including the hair band rock, just the fact that they had Sebastian Bach as a regular on my favorite show meant that I was going to love Gil no matter what. But he is the best for all the reasons you pointed out.

Plus, he's yum yum like long-haired cake. Ah, Babette. LOL.

So do I. When Rory tells Lane that Babette has dibs. Sorry Rory, Babette's going to have competition. A lot of competition. He's just so cool but so nice. 

• Love 4

Ok, I just binged Seasons 1-7 for the 2nd time & read through each season’s threads. I’ll dump my thoughts:

-early on, Emily calls Lorelei a “petulant 2 yr  old” because she’s sulking about something. It’s the phrase that carried me through all of Lorelei’s pouting when she doesn’t get her own way or is not the center of attention (eg when she tells E & R she & Luke are broken up & they don’t react). It helps that Lauren’s mouth naturally curves downward for true “sulky- face”.

-Rory, although trying to come off as shy & humble, also has this same quality. After the dinner with Bobbi she complains to Logan “no one talked about me!” Ok dumbass, the dinner was to celebrate their acquisition, it wasn’t about you. She also assumes she’ll get any job she applies for until she’s taken down a peg. Such a special snowflake, maybe it’s Lorelei’s & the town’s fault.

- I can’t buy that Lane just decides to become a drummer & is good enough to be in a band with barely any practice. My boys are musicians & have been playing for 10 years & are finally getting some paying gigs.

-Cousin Oliver, I mean April, was the show jumping the shark for me. Rory getting too old so they had to bring in another brainy girl. And that annoying, child actor voice! 

- it was incredibly selfish for Lorelei to hold off on Christmas when GiGi was living in the house. Did GiGi get to see Santa? GiGi had no presents to open on Christmas? You would think the adult Rory could be the one to give up her Christmas.

- I will never like Jess as a character. I get the Christopher hate but that’s how I feel about Jess. Not everyone has an ideal childhood but you don’t have to be an ass to everyone. I didn’t like him as a boyfriend to Rory. She wanted to do things & would beg & he’d say no, unless Dean was going to be there. Too many mind games. I was furious when she asked him to leave multiple times when he brought dinner over & he refused.

I didn’t understand why Lorelei never asked Chris for child support. I could get it if she didn’t want him in their lives, but from what I heard he called Rory & showed up to E & R’s at holidays. It seems that Richard esp would have pressed him on it. I don’t see how they could have welcomed him into their house otherwise. Chris was a lazy ass but his family had money & Rory was entitled to it.

- Lorelei gives Luke an ultimatum “let’s get married NOW” but doesn’t understand when Chris does the same thing “let’s have a baby NOW”. 

- Rory gets 1 criticism from Mitchum & quits Yale. Logan blows a million dollar deal & takes a weekend with his friends in Vegas to unwind & gets the lecture from her about how irresponsible he is. And her yelling about his privilege- can she not look in a mirror? Not everyone has rich grandparents funding private high school, a new car at graduation, & tuition for Yale! 

-why does Rory get a goodbye party, kinda confused because for awhile she was the town pariah for sleeping with the married Dean.  She didn’t spend that much time there once she went to Yale. Did everyone that left get a party?

whew, done for now!

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1