Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Lady Jane Spoilers and Speculation

A recent article with the show runner said next season's structure would be different because they're building to a new kind of life event for Jane. Sorry, my google-fu isn't working and I can't find the link at the moment. 

Any guesses as to what that would be? Maybe graduation with her MFA. 

1 hour ago, Gin and Tonic said:

A recent article with the show runner said next season's structure would be different because they're building to a new kind of life event for Jane. Sorry, my google-fu isn't working and I can't find the link at the moment. 

Any guesses as to what that would be? Maybe graduation with her MFA. 

I'm think Jane not a virgin, in the Hollywood Reporter article it says "Her loss of virginity is imminent."  Which means to me, Michael will live.

• Love 1

But Jane losing her virginity wouldn't be considered structural, would it?  Structural to me suggests something like we jump forward to a point in time and then jump backwards to see how we get there.  Think Season 2 of Breaking Bad.  Or that every episode begins like it's a chapter in a book with the narrator reading the story.  Or the whole season takes place in Petra's hospital room and everything that happens is seen through her eyes.

It suggests less to me a plot point and more a way of telling the story.

• Love 1

I don't think it's going to be losing her virginity. The show runner had already said that Jane having sex is imminent, and that she doesn't want it to happen in the season finale. So I think they're going to build to something different.

They've devoted 2 years to her love life, which was why I was thinking it would be something career oriented. Or maybe even moving out and living on her own with Mateo (if Michael is dead, of course). 

On 5/21/2016 at 6:14 PM, Artsda said:

The title of the show is Jane The Virgin. I think her not being a virgin will change the structure a lot, the title itself won't be accurate anymore.

Jennie Urman already said they would put a line through the "the Virgin" part and make the title that instead of what it is today.

(edited)

If you're worried about him leaving, I don't think that pilot he talked about is worth being upset about.  It sounds like a pet project of his.  Even though I may personally feel like the character doesn't have anywhere to go, I'm 99% sure both he and the character will both be back.

Edited by Irlandesa

Last night, on Whose Line Is It Anyway? they showed a promotional commercial for Season 3 for Jane the Virgin.  It shows Jane finding Michael in the hallway and then shows him in a hospital bed, unconscious.  Brett Dier was the guest on the show, so that may have been why there were commercials being shown then.  The premiere date for season 3 is October 17.  I'm looking forward to it!

I will post the article with the interview that mentioned that the love triangle is more than certainly dead (for now???). I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figure under spoilers is the safest one: 

http://tvline.com/2016/10/17/jane-the-virgin-recap-season-3-premiere-michael-lives/

Now, I don't agree with how Jennie Urman phrased the part about the triangle being dead, because it does suck for Jane/Rafael fans that their ship is dead and the producers and showrunners were sick of it. I think she could have been a little softer when delivering the news. However, I don't think I'll buy that the triangle is dead until the show is over. The network could force them to bring it back sometime this season, or the possible next season. Ratings could tank as well if there are many Jane/Rafael fans who are not pleased with this. Anything can happen that could have Jane/Rafael rekindling something. 

I don't think that Jane/Rafael needs to be rekindled and I appreciate that they're going to at least try and stick with Jane/Michael's marriage, but I still will forever worry about the show changing their mind for whatever reason and Jane/Michael fans being smacked in the face as well. 

But, I guess with the Jane losing her virginity news that came out a while ago, I guess it's safe to say that it probably is Jane/Michael. This show moves fast, but I don't think Jane/Michael's marriage would break up and they have her sleeping with someone else so soon. 

It also sounds like Michael is going to have repercussions from almost dying. I also noted in the promo for the next episode that he might have a limp, so I'm guessing physical therapy is involved. 

LOL, so after watching Jane the Virgin, Chapter forty-five yesterday, what do you guys believe Jane and Xio were so tickled about? Xio kept making these Vogue gestures. I snorted last season when they hashtagged Xiomarasaurus XD

So....there's a pretty big potential spoiler going around about someone's fate on the show (that link goes to a narrowed down version on Tumblr). Because of an interview Ivonne did I guess a few days ago, people are thinking that Michael will be dying in the third episode back from the break. If this is true, then I might actually be quitting the show after this season. I like Michael; we've all been afraid of him dying and when it didn't happen at the beginning of this season, I thought that it would be good news for him for a while. I'm really hoping that it's not true, but there does seem to be at least some merit on it not being completely dismissed. 

I think they'll kill him off. I don't think the predicted how popular the character would become when the show began so I think having him be Janes first love, first husband, first sexy time partner is the producers attempt at giving fans of the couple a piece of what they want if they're not willing to adjust the Jane/Rafael endgame. 

I can't see much life in the show afterward though. As much as the triangle sucked it was more lonely then watching Jane grieve for Michael and then predictably falling for Raphael. I suppose the same could be said for her settling with Michael though. When you base the show around a triangle it's hard to reinvent things after the final choice is made.

1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

I can't see much life in the show afterward though. As much as the triangle sucked it was more lonely then watching Jane grieve for Michael and then predictably falling for Raphael. I suppose the same could be said for her settling with Michael though. When you base the show around a triangle it's hard to reinvent things after the final choice is made.

Agreed. I'm sure they weren't thinking about how they would end the triangle when they started it up in season 1. But honestly, killing Michael off DOES kill the triangle anyway (unless they bring back Sam, but people will just call him the replacement Michael) and there are so many people invested in Jane/Michael, just like I know there are many people invested in Jane/Rafael. However, they know how popular Michael is. It's season three, so they're in the know of how dangerous it will be if they kill off Michael, ESPECIALLY after putting people's minds at ease when he wasn't killed off in the first episode of this season. 

They probably do realize that having Jane choose Michael in season 2 was a mistake for the triangle because, short of killing Michael off, it'll take quite a bit of time to have Jane divorce Michael and get back together with Rafael. It sucks more with Rafael finally getting over Jane. Killing Michael off, I think, will signal the beginning of the end. Not just because they're killing off a popular character, but the implication it's for Rafael to become Jane's second choice, so it should suck for the Rafael fans who care more about him than Rafel/Jane ending up together. It's just a sloppy way to end a triangle too and this show is usually smarter than that. 

I know I'll be done if they kill Michael off. He still has his own stories to tell and he has so much more potential. It would really just bring the show down as well because Jane would have to mourn Michael for the rest of the season, unless they time jump a year (but remember, the last time they did a time jump, people weren't happy about missing Jane being single) and then Jane choosing Rafael would take even more time because he'd have to fall back in love with her. 

On 1/4/2017 at 0:31 PM, Lady Calypso said:

So....there's a pretty big potential spoiler going around about someone's fate on the show (that link goes to a narrowed down version on Tumblr). Because of an interview Ivonne did I guess a few days ago, people are thinking that Michael will be dying in the third episode back from the break. If this is true, then I might actually be quitting the show after this season. I like Michael; we've all been afraid of him dying and when it didn't happen at the beginning of this season, I thought that it would be good news for him for a while. I'm really hoping that it's not true, but there does seem to be at least some merit on it not being completely dismissed. 

If this is true, I'm not even waiting until next season; I'll be done with the show as soon as that happens. In fact, I may not even watch the show when it comes back from break until I find out if it's true or not. I can always catch up later if it's a red herring.

I know it sounds like I'm taking my toys and running home, but I'm honestly not trying to be that way. Probably because I'm old and grew up in the happy sitcom TV world of the 60s and early 70s, I'm sick to death (heh) of shows killing off main characters I like. Michael's my favorite and I love him and Jane together. However, I wouldn't want them to kill off Rafael, either. Or Xo. Or Alba. Or (God forbid) Rogelio. Or Petra. Here's an idea, showrunners: DON'T KILL OFF ANYONE. Or find a secondary character and kill them. Petra's mother. Jane's newfound cousin, whose name escapes me. Luisa. Scott. Bruce. Sin Rostro (finally). I'm sure I could come up with more. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Joana said:

Yeah, I've just seen the interview with Coll. It's happening. I'll probably not even bother watching the show when it returns later this month. 

I'm going to hold out hope that maybe Michael is faking his own death for whatever reason. I mean; he is a cop and has already been targeted once. Maybe he has to go underground for a few episodes to protect Jane. IF this is the case, I'd like them to be upfront about it at the end of the episode. Then I can at least stop watching until he returns. 

That's the only hope I have to keep watching the show. I can't imagine the show would be this stupid in killing Michael off. They have done so well to keep the twists genuinely surprising. 

The way she phrased it rules out a fake death, I'm afraid.

I'm going to put it in spoiler tag, just in case:

Spoiler

First she talked about a major character dying and how shocking it's going to be for everyone. She didn't want to reveal who it's going to be, just that it's happening 3 episodes into the second half of the season. And immediately following that episode there's going to be a 4-year time jump and it's going to be very interesting because Jane is now a different person being a widow and... That's when Ivonne Coll to her shock and horror realized what she had just said. 

So I really think that's it. And it's so disappointing. Such a... coward move.

Edited by Joana

Well, ok then. It sounds really stupid, first of all. Even just taking in a four year time jump. I'm literally going through social media accounts with some of the cast to see if there's any six year old kid, or Brett Dier. Doing a four year time jump in the third season is really...risky, to put it mildly. Honestly, the whole thing sounds unbelievable. Yet I can't find a reason for Ivonne to lie or embellish in any way. 

I'm just gonna live in denial. It's safer there. 

Ugh, why did I read this? Though I'd rather know and just stop watching. I had weaned off all of my other American series I had to watch illegally and now I can give up on this too. Maybe I'll come back in a few years when I hear about how amazing it's all turned out, but just not interested. 

Also, I don't get time jumps like that, does that mean everything up to now happened 4 years ago? Or it's set in the future?

• Love 2

Yeah, so I just researched more into this, and it SOUNDS like Brett Dier might have actually asked to leave the show for "undisclosed reasons" and that's why his character is getting killed off. 

Brett Dier, why?!?! I do hope everything's good in his personal life, but does make me a little more sad if he did ask to leave the show and this is how they're exiting his character.

Yep. I'm done after his last episode. I can't hold on for the rest of the season. And it's a true shame because I loved the show up until this moment. Even though I understand a bit more with the rumours of Brett Dier wanting to leave instead of the show just getting rid of his character for a twist, it still sucks and I guess it does clear up my television schedule. I didn't really sign up for Rafael being second choice to Jane. Skipping ahead four years or not, I think it will feel that way because for the characters, it's four years, but for us, it would only be a week. 

Believe me; I'm not quitting the show just because Jane/Rafael will be getting back together. I watched season 1 and still enjoyed it. It's just for the sole reason that they're killing off Michael and he won't be coming back, so it kind of kills the tone of the series for me. 

57 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, ok then. It sounds really stupid, first of all. Even just taking in a four year time jump. I'm literally going through social media accounts with some of the cast to see if there's any six year old kid, or Brett Dier. Doing a four year time jump in the third season is really...risky, to put it mildly. Honestly, the whole thing sounds unbelievable. Yet I can't find a reason for Ivonne to lie or embellish in any way. 

I'm just gonna live in denial. It's safer there. 

Exactly! I was already less than pleased with the direction the show has taken in the last couple of episodes and just knowing there's going to be a time jump even with the whole cast intact would not make me any happier. I was starting to worry they were writing themselves into a corner and this kinda confirms it. 

It's pretty much what happened on Desperate Housewives back in the day. The time jump there turned out to be a handy quick term solution and it did bring some excitement at first, but it didn't solve any of the show's problems in the long run and just created new ones. 

Another thing that really annoyed me in Ivonne's interview is that she thought that her character was going to die and talked to the producers about it, and they told her that they are not going to kill Alba off because they need the "trinity" of Villanueva women on the show, So, they clearly don't need  Michael. Ugh. Way to respect your fans, show. Actually, it's quite unbelievable this interview was ever allowed to see the light of day. 

Edit: just seen the post above. It does make it somewhat better if they're killing him off because the actor wants out and not because they're giving in to demands that Jane should choose Rafael because he's hot and takes his shirt off a lot. And it does make it some sense as they've already filmed those 3 episodes but apprently haven't started shooting the second part of the season yet. But damn, the show really won't be the same without him and I really don't think I can watch it. I might tune in from time to time just to see what Petra's up to, if they ever bother showing her again, that is, the way things are going. 

Edited by Joana

Yeah, I don't see how they pull this off. I've maintained for a long time that killing off Michael would be tonally jarring for a show that, despite it's great depth of emotion, is mostly a light-hearted, candy colored comedy.  

Even if they do a time jump, that will still be enormously disconcerting for the audience because we don't have 4 years to process like the characters would. And that doesn't even include the fact that having the big fake out death and then recovery and then real death is not great plotting. 

Edited by Gin and Tonic
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Gin and Tonic said:

And that doesn't even include the fact that having the big fake out death and then recovery and then real death is not great plotting. 

Yeah. That's what makes me think this really is about Brett Dier wanting to leave the show for whatever reason. It's not like when Sara Ramirez supposedly caught the showrunners by suprise with her request to leave Grey's Anatomy at the end of the last season even though simply everything about the way her character had been written for months beforehand indicated at least some uncertainty about her future status on the show. In this case, it would be more than absurd if they had actually planned everything to happen the way it would, and I refuse to believe the writers are such incompetent hacks. 

Even so, I'm not really sure the time jump is the best solution. Obviously, I get why they'd do it and that they would want to keep the tone of the show as light as possible, which of course they can't pull off with Jane mourning the loss of the love of her life for a number of episodes. But it will certainly feel so hollow for the viewers. And they deserve to mourn his loss, too!

14 minutes ago, Joana said:

And they deserve to mourn his loss, too!

Yes, I definitely don't blame the writers for the plotting/pacing, and I'm sure that it would be best for everyone to split amicably rather than stay on if he doesn't want to. But that's all inside baseball stuff. As a viewer, this plotting is ... not great. 

Edited by Gin and Tonic
1 minute ago, Joana said:

Even so, I'm not really sure the time jump is the best solution. Obviously, I get why they'd do it and that they would want to keep the tone of the show as light as possible, which of course they can't pull off with Jane mourning the loss of the love of her life for a number of episodes. But it will certainly feel so hollow for the viewers. And they deserve to mourn his loss, too!

Exactly. I felt hollow when there was the four month time jump after Jane had Mateo because we never got to see single Jane. We know that she was single for four months and that technically counts, but we, as the audience, never got to see her be single. It seemed like she was with Rafael, then broke up with Rafael, and then was with Rafael. It now feels like they're doing something similar, in which we skip out on the grief and mourning aspect so Jane can move on and choose Rafael at some point in the last half of the season. I think I know why they're doing a four year time jump (supposedly) instead of a year or so. My speculation is it's so that we, as the audience, don't get mad at Jane when she moves on. It's sad because as much as the show gets right, it gets Jane's love life wrong in the sense that Jane is perceived to be someone who has to be with a guy. We don't see her single or without a love interest pretty much ever. 

This really is going to suck for not just Jane/Michael fans, but overall Michael fans and other parts of the audience as well. 

I also believe that it must have been Brett's decision to leave and it SEEMS like it was a sudden choice, although do we take in the narrator's foreshadowing back in the episode where Jane/Michael downsized the house when he said that they truly believed that they'd move back in to a house together and assume they knew since then? It also feels off to have Michael get killed off in episode 10, halfway through the season. 

I don't know; I'm just not happy with the entire spoiler. I mean, congrats to Jane/Rafael fans and anti Michael fans? Except, are they REALLY winning in the end if the other third of the triangle has to be killed off in order for Jane/Rafael to be together? 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

Well, I guess that's another timer for me to delete.  

Same. And what sucks is that my sister has started binge watching the show, she's on season 2, and she's gushing about how much she loves this show and Michael, and I'm having to bite my tongue so she can at least enjoy the rest of the episodes until Michael dies. 

I mean if it is the case that the writers had to make do with the actor's departure, I suppose I don't really want to speculate (I haven't read anything, just what's in this thread) as to why or whether he could have been persuaded to stay longer. And it's not really easy to write their way out of it. If they hadn't got married it would be easier to write him off(on another show it might not matter so much), but since they did, I guess I should be glad that there was a short period of happily married life and he wasn't just killed off then so Jane could keep her virgin status for Rafael. But I remember reading at the end of season 2 that they had planned the ending from the beginning and I can only assume in that case that this would involve Rafael. When I started watching I assumed Michael was a character who would be written off fairly quickly. Obviously the writers knew better than that but I do think that they were probably not expecting him to be as popular as he was and I wonder was the wedding/virginity with Michael the plan to appease fans of that camp. I've also read recently that this was planned from the beginning, but I'm not so sure.

Also, with the time jump, I really hope they have at least a few episodes in the immediate aftermath, mourning etc. I think if they have to have a time jump it should really be after a summer hiatus so at least there is some break for viewers, but since this is happening so soon I guess it's unlikely. 

I know it's unlikely but I think I'd rather someone new came on the scene rather than Rafael. I know the writers are good and can come up with unexpected ways of treating the usual scenarios, but it just seems like there'll have to be some version of the cliche of feeling guilty for betraying Michael followed by the realisation of 'Michael would want me to be happy' and ' I felt this for Michael but now I feel THIS for Rafael'. Maybe people will say this is mean of the character but I kind of feel like Michael would want Jane to be happy with anybody except Rafael!

Anyway for me, I'll probably catch up on the show later. Netflix here only has season 1 and it's not shown on any network so I might just read about how it plays out. 

It's not a show that I liked anything as much as Jane but I stopped watching The Mindy Project when they began the character assassination of Danny and nothing I've read had persuaded me back. Maybe it is better in the long run just to actually kill the character, I guess we'll see!

I've always seen JtV as a sort of anti-telenovela that playfully takes the conventions of the genre and then goes against them. For that reason I was never convinced that Rafael was necessarily the end game (a true telenovela ending) and firmly believed that Michael was eventually at least going to be given a chance. Of course, there was always going to be a possibility of another break-up/revival of the triangle just to keep the dynamics going in case they ran out of ideas or the ratings were declining, but I really doubt it was ever supposed to happen at this stage of the show. If anything, if that had been the plan all along, the season would have had different pacing. We're now three episodes away from the huge time jump and there's so much stuff unresolved that needs to be packed in. I think they would have hurried up to tie some loose ends and/or not introduced so many new storylines if they had known what was coming.

Not that any of that makes a difference now, of course.

I just can't imagine what the time jump is going to do to the other characters on the show - Petra, Anezka (is she even going to be there?), Rogelio, Xiomara and their relationship, Luisa (if they ever plan on bringing her back)... They'll probably also have to write in a bunch of new characters. I can't see how it's not going to be a mess. 

Speaking of characters that unexpectedly got "too" popular, I think that's what happened to Petra rather than Michael. I think he was always supposed to be a fan favourite with how much was invested in him, I'm not sure anyone counted on Petra getting this big. 

And it's just a wild speculation on my part, but it might explain why her role was so greatly diminished this season with the awful Anezka storyline. Perhaps they wanted the character to take a back seat for a while because they thought she might be taking too much spotlight away from Jane. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cailinoBAC said:

When I started watching I assumed Michael was a character who would be written off fairly quickly. Obviously the writers knew better than that but I do think that they were probably not expecting him to be as popular as he was and I wonder was the wedding/virginity with Michael the plan to appease fans of that camp. I've also read recently that this was planned from the beginning, but I'm not so sure.

I fully believe that when they started the show, Jane/Rafael were meant to be together in the end. Having Rafael as a guy Jane met first, kissed, and then coincidentally got artificially inseminated with his baby, those are all typical TV tropes. I don't believe that Jane/Michael were meant to get married from the start, at least not as early as the end of the second season. I do believe their plan was for Michael to die at some point in the series (I think it was meant for later down the road), and I guess they're getting their wish, BUT I also believe that they did change courses once they saw the multitude of Jane/Michael fans. There's such a mostly even split between the Team Rafael and Team Michael fans (the entire cast had been Team Michael at least in season 1; not sure how much that changed). However, this show does tend to go against the genre in ways that really work, so them dealing with the love triangle when they did, actually marrying Jane and Michael while having Rafael move on from Jane, they're all things that managed to work and I think that's what helps set this show apart. Which is why Michael dying and the four year time jump is the worst thing they're going to do for the series. I think that before this, I could see the show easily hitting five or six seasons. Now? I don't know if it'll make it past four. 

I will see what they do with the mess that they're getting into, though. The show has surprised me many times and I'm going to try to keep an open mind. We'll see how they handle Michael's death and the time jump. I just think even good writers such as the ones on this show won't be able to make this all work. Michael's death, yes. The time jump? I don't think so.

3 hours ago, cailinoBAC said:

I know it's unlikely but I think I'd rather someone new came on the scene rather than Rafael.

Well, they still have Love Triangle Guy Sam that I have no doubt they will reintroduce sometime this season. So, at least there could be a delay for Jane/Rafael. 

• Love 2

Well then…this sucks. A lot. I stumbled across this while searching the forums for something else, and it kind of gutted me. I literally just started watching the show about 2 weeks ago, and I am hooked, and almost completely caught up. And one of the main reasons for that is the Michael/Jane relationship, the character of Michael, and Brett Dier himself. So if this is true, and Michael is indeed dying/leaving the show, then I might stop watching too. Even if it is Brett who asked to leave for “undisclosed reasons”. Which also sucks. Hopefully everything is OK with him. In the past two weeks, I’ve watched a bunch of videos with him (behind the scenes at Jane The Virgin, his own Instagram videos, his guest appearance on Whose Line Is It), and he is absolutely hilarious, and seems like such a delight. He is also a really great actor. (Not sure how relevant this is, but his Instagram and Twitter remain hilarious and updated and he seems good…so hopefully that is the case.) Maybe this is all just a red herring? Please be just a red herring! In any case, I adore Brett Dier, and will look forward to whatever he does in the future.

It's not a show that I liked anything as much as Jane but I stopped watching The Mindy Project when they began the character assassination of Danny and nothing I've read had persuaded me back. Maybe it is better in the long run just to actually kill the character, I guess we'll see!

Me too! Hi! 

• Love 4

If this spoiler is true and it seems that it is... I can't say that it surprises me that Michael's character will be killed off. The narrator had been dropping some ominous hints since season 1 that this would eventually happen. The surprise factor for me is that it is going to happen this season. They could have killed Michael off at the end of last season and then we would have this season to recover. However, by keeping Michael alive and now killing him off later on in the season means that they only kept him alive for the fans of Michael and Jane so that she could lose her virginity by him.

Now as for the character of Michael, truly there isn't too many other things they could do with him that wouldn't involve breaking him and Jane up. Still, what about Jane's cousin and Rafael? They haven't even wrapped that storyline up yet. So, the 4-year time jump seems a little awkward to me. If that is what the writers intend to do.

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 1

Yeah, I don't get this at all. If you wanted to kill off Michael, why not do it to start the season? The fact that they didn't do that makes it seem like a sudden decision necessitated by BD, which makes no sense given all the enthusiasm he has shown for the show. Why would that suddenly change? And if it was health- related, you'd think they'd leave the door open for him to return (have Michael disappear, fake his death, whatever).

The only hope I have is that they "kill" him, do the time jump to avoid endless Jane mourning and have her finally moving on, only to have him return (faked death, amnesia, something). But that sounds like a clusterf*ck of a storyline...

If the rumor is true, maybe Brett Dier was offered a movie role, and the offer wasn't finalized until after the season began.    Whatever the reason, I'm disappointed.  

When Gina Rodriguez cut her hair last summer for a movie role, she said the audience would eventually be seeing Jane with her cute lob hair cut.  If there is a time-jump, a new style would be a quick visual to show the passage of time.   If they knew early on there would be a time jump, it might be why they haven't shown her shorter hair.  

I can't even begin to imagine what the show is going to be without Michael. He adds a little special something to literally every scene he appears in. To say that the show wouldn't be the same without him would be an understatement of the year. I really don't think I can watch it when/if he's gone, especially as I'm not too thrilled with the most of the current storylines. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 1