Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E23: Pilina Koko (Blood Ties)

• Start Topic

I liked this episode.  It did have a lot of stories going on, but I still liked it.  I so want Chin to take care of that little girl.  I'm sure Abby will run for he hills or get killed.

I know Chin told Kono (& maybe the rest of the team) he was related to Sara (the little girl). But I don't think he ever really told her that (besides asking what she knew about her uncle who worked with/for HPD). I'm wondering why he didn't tell her.

(edited)

Kind of a middle of the road episode for me. Three out of five stars.

For the technical side of things, Danny's nephew can't figure out if the security cameras store the footage locally or if they back up offsite. Now I am certainly willing to bet he is as dumb as he looks but is it really that hard to figure out? Certainly it can't be that difficult to press "Save As" and see what the default folder is, no?

Another tech fail comes when Chin unhooks all his monitoring gear at the hospital and no one comes to check on him. I would think that since gangsters just tried to murder him and succeeded in shooting him twice, he'd merit an HPD uni hanging around his room!

I was waiting for the Kono and Hirsch plot to have some twist where he's playing her. I thought maybe the dad was an accomplice or Hirsch would end up working with the bad guys. But no, it turns out all that emotional tenderness was so we could get Kono into a bikini at the end (although the camera person was asleep at the switch and mostly shot Kono from the shoulders up). Weird plot. Am I supposed to like Hirsch?

The show would never be so dark but wouldn't it be funny if Abby and Jerry were having an affair? That would explain why she's laughing at his every joke (despite us knowing he's not the funniest guy in the world) and eating ice cream with him at 3am.

I find it strange that 5-0 can basically catch any bad guy once they know what's going on but Michelle Shioma just has to call her lawyer and they're stuck. She's the only bad guy character ever to actually have an effective lawyer! I assume at some point in the next couple of episodes she will find herself at the mercy of 5-0's "enhanced interrogation" methods.

Edited by dwmarch
6 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Another tech fail comes when Chin unhooks all his monitoring gear at the hospital and no one comes to check on him. I would think that since gangsters just tried to murder him and succeeded in shooting him twice, he'd merit an HPD uni hanging around his room!

With the death rate on HPD? Its worse than LVPD even without Justin Beiber personally attacking the island. I don't know how they keep their ranks filled

• Love 1

All I could think of when Shioma's people kidnapped the little girl was how many bullets were flying. Seems a high risk way of losing the asset you're trying to get.

People laughing and giggling loud enough to wake me in the middle of the night is a pet peeve - even if it does make me feel like a Grinch. And eating out of the same ice cream container - don't get me started. Boy, I sound really, really old.

8 hours ago, dwmarch said:

For the technical side of things, Danny's nephew can't figure out if the security cameras store the footage locally or if they back up offsite. Now I am certainly willing to bet he is as dumb as he looks but is it really that hard to figure out? Certainly it can't be that difficult to press "Save As" and see what the default folder is, no?

IIRC, he made that statement before they found the safe room with the computers. They only had the cameras at that time - so nothing to press "Save As." It was after that when Hirsch cut the carpet and found the cabling that led to the safe room. But since I don't know anything about security cameras, I don't know if there is something else that might be an indicator.

• Love 1

Not just for the police but the hospital personnel. If he is on a monitor, it feeds back into the nursing station. If someone's monitor stops working, they are supposed to come check. Once he took off the pulse ox from his finger, in a real hospital, a nurse would come running to make sure he had not stopped breathing. It's the point of the monitors. If no one checks when they stop, they are useless.  And they could have had Chin brush by a nurse coming in as he left to find his niece without much effect on the story -- it's a small detail but helps maintain credibility. The writers should try to maintain that in as many ways as they can because so much of 5-0 is incredible. 

Just a nitpick.I love this show -- I didn't start watching until last year when I found out that we were going to Hawaii in May 2015. I have been hooked on the show ever since.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I find it strange that 5-0 can basically catch any bad guy once they know what's going on but Michelle Shioma just has to call her lawyer and they're stuck. She's the only bad guy character ever to actually have an effective lawyer! I assume at some point in the next couple of episodes she will find herself at the mercy of 5-0's "enhanced interrogation" methods.

That's is (unfortunately) a standard hero-in-the-hospital trope -- no matter how badly they're injured, they can pull off all the monitors and pull out the IV and no one will stop them.

I was surprised how easily they went on Shioma.  Usually once they get someone in the Blue Room of Torture, they don't get out until they've told 5-0 everything.

(edited)

Shioma is a million times more effective and less obnoxious of a Bad Guy than Gabriel, even if I have absolutely no clue what the motivation is. Not that I have any clue about Gabriel's either. I couldn't imagine ever longing for Wo Fat when I was ready for that arc to be retired - but I would be fine with more Wo Fat at this point. (The secret ingredient is revenge!)

If they're trying to play "lovable rogue" with Hirsch, they are not even in the same continent. If they're trying to play "skeevy douche" - target acquired. Gross. I think they're aiming for #1, but #2 is where they are.

Hot damn any plotline involving a kid the same age as a kid of mine, and a dead parent or any kind of kidnapping, causes me anxiety that I would prefer to never have experienced.

I am fervently hoping that Gabriel will meet an untimely end, like having his body devoured by rabid sharks, next week because I am so done with him. I need Malia to turn out to have been in WitSec and her & Chin adopting the little girl and SOMEONE have a happy ending on this show?!

I apparently missed that Jerry is living with Chin/Abby? Um, OK.... I'm also ready for Jerry to be transferred to his dream job in, I don't know, Calcutta or Tallahassee or anywhere except Hawaii. Ditto Danny's nephew. I don't really care for this whole, 5-0 and the Lost Boys of Hawaii thing. Hire people who are competent, not people that you apparently feel sorry for and feel compelled to give fake jobs.

In regards to posts above about who Chin told about Sara/h - He told Kono shortly after he figured it out (because apparently there's only one Malia who ever existed in Hawaii), and then he told the rest of the team after he left the most ineffectively staffed hospital in the USA and met up with them at the house where they had Sara/h. Also: Has technology actually given us the capacity to do that kind of accurate thermal imaging?

Edited by JessDVD
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Kind of a middle of the road episode for me. Three out of five stars.

I was waiting for the Kono and Hirsch plot to have some twist where he's playing her. I thought maybe the dad was an accomplice or Hirsch would end up working with the bad guys. But no, it turns out all that emotional tenderness was so we could get Kono into a bikini at the end (although the camera person was asleep at the switch and mostly shot Kono from the shoulders up). Weird plot. Am I supposed to like Hirsch?

The show would never be so dark but wouldn't it be funny if Abby and Jerry were having an affair? That would explain why she's laughing at his every joke (despite us knowing he's not the funniest guy in the world) and eating ice cream with him at 3am.

I'm pretty sure Kono wasn't in a bikini at the beach with Hirsch. Her top looked more like she was in a wetsuit (maybe rash guard) type top (& probably bottom, since they never showed a full-length view of her).

@JessDVD: Thanks for the response to my question, but it was everything I already knew (that Chin told Kono & the rest of the team he was related, by his marriage to Malia, to Sara). What I'm curious about is why he never actually told Sara they were related. Which I don't remember him ever doing.

I thought Chin did identify himself to Sarah, but now that I think about it I am not sure.

My recollection is Duke told Chin that Sarah said she had an uncle, who was a detective named Kelly (or Chin?) who was on the HPD, which was why she was in his office.  While talking to Sarah, before the rabbit convo, I thought he introduced himself as Detective Kelly, or Chin, but never specifically said he was her uncle, letting her make the connection.

But I may have imagined that.  I don't always pay close attention.

On 5/7/2016 at 0:11 PM, fishcakes said:

When the show opened with Jerry and Abby eating ice cream together, all I could think was that the only person more annoyed by that than Chin was @blackwing.

Haha!  Yup, I can't stand either Jerry Garcia or San Francisco Police Lady.  But conveniently, I have learned that even though they acted like she didn't exist in the last few episodes, San Francisco Police Lady is still alive and kicking and apparently living with Chin.  And Jerry is conveniently apparently living with them too.  I forget the backstory on why he doesn't have a home or how long he has been there.  I guess if I cared at all about Jerry Garcia, I'd look it up, but.... nope, still don't care.  I say this is convenient because I am really really REALLY hoping that in the next episode, Chin wakes up early and goes out to buy some of those malawhatever donut things that people always talk about.  While he is out, the Yakuza come looking for Gabriel Wainwright's daughter and kill both Jerry Garcia and San Francisco Police Lady in a flurry of bullets.

10 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

I hate female Gabriel almost as much as I hate original recipe Gabriel. The sanctimonious tone of voice sets my teeth on edge.

Yes, this Gabriella Wo Fat annoys me to no end.  I hate the faux-innocence and the condescending tone and her overconfidence.  Not sure why she is being treated differently than many of the other past residents of that interrogation/torture chamber.  Because she has a lawyer?

I'm not sure why the show looks like it is going to saddle Chin with a child.  I mean, why?  So he can have man angst over the family he could have had with Malia?

I can't stand the character of Judd Hirsch.  I hated this actor with a passion when he played the gay decorator on "Sex and the City", and the obsession with Kono is completely creepy.  I'm not sure why she was so nice to him... because he's trying to make his dad proud even though his dad knows what a complete scumbag he is?  I hope he doesn't become a recurring character any more than he already is.

On the positives of this episode.... Yay for seeing Max!  I love Max and his awkwardness and the complete befuddlement that Steve and Danny always seem  to have when dealing with him.  Wish he could be used more often, instead of seeing useless characters like Jerry Garcia and San Francisco Police Lady.

So, Jerry and NotDarla hang out at Chin's without paying rent just being obnoxious ass**** - that's what I call folks who wake up their host at three in the morning and then claim that he has no joie de vivre. Maybe he has no joie de vivre at that time of the night because he has a job that requires him to get some decent sleep? Something these two apparently haven't - she's probably still snorkeling for her badge and God knows what Jerry does in the basement when he's not required to hack something or spout exposition about conspiracy theories.

Hirsch makes everything better - that might be residual love for Mozzie but I really loved his plot with Kono. She was not wearing a bikini but a wet suit, one of the few things this show does right is dressing Kono for her job and refusing to doll up Grace Park at every opportunity.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I thought Chin did identify himself to Sarah, but now that I think about it I am not sure.

My recollection is Duke told Chin that Sarah said she had an uncle, who was a detective named Kelly (or Chin?) who was on the HPD, which was why she was in his office.  While talking to Sarah, before the rabbit convo, I thought he introduced himself as Detective Kelly, or Chin, but never specifically said he was her uncle, letting her make the connection.

But I may have imagined that.  I don't always pay close attention.

Yep. Duke told Chin Sara said she had an uncle named Chin who worked for/with HPD, which is why he called him (Five-0 Chin is the only Chin Duke knew, or 1 of the few Chins he knew, who worked for/with HPD, which is probably why he called him; Chin was with HPD before Five-0, & Five-0 also works with HPD now). As I remember, Chin only referred to himself as "Lieutenant Kelly" or "Detective Kelly" (maybe) when dealing with Sara. He never said anything to her specifically about being her uncle or having been married to her Aunt Malia. But he knew Gabriel was her father, & Malia was her aunt, so they were related by marriage, when he found out her middle name was "Malia" & added that to the other piece he knew of her family history: Duke's revelation Sara has an uncle named Chin who works for/with HPD. Knowing her first name was "Sara" wasn't clicking for Chin (nor Duke, for that matter), nor was it supposed to.  I don't know if the writers wanted us to assume Sara put things together on that without showing us, or not, but it's still weird to me that there was no acknowledgment between Chin & Sara of their family tie.

@blackwing: I know you don't care, but Jerry Ortega became Chin's roommate when his mom sold her house in Honolulu, where he'd been living with her, & moved to Maui. Jerry & Chin were in band together, in the same graduating class at Kukui High, which is how they know each other to start with. I assume another part of the reason Chin took Jerry in was maybe so the house wouldn't seem so "lonely" after Malia was murdered, & because he had room to spare.

4 hours ago, blackwing said:

Not sure why she is being treated differently than many of the other past residents of that interrogation/torture chamber.  Because she has a lawyer?

I'm thinking it might be because she's female.  Many people would be perfectly fine with torturing a guy, innocent, guilty or whatever (see: Grover in Chicago), but would protest if a women got the same treatment (see: Grover in Chicago).

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/8/2016 at 2:39 AM, dwmarch said:

I was incredulous! (I mean, even for this show) I was thinking I was glad I wasn't a patient in that hospital because I'd die before someone deigned to check on me! And RoboCop Chin was able to find a clean shirt, locate his keys AND his car and still be conscious enough to DRIVE TO A PLACE HE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT!?!?!? In a car riddled with bullet holes and yet miraculously started???

Yeah - what's up with her. How come she didn't go to jail last week?

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

Yes, this Gabriella Wo Fat annoys me to no end.  I hate the faux-innocence and the condescending tone and her overconfidence.  Not sure why she is being treated differently than many of the other past residents of that interrogation/torture chamber.  Because she has a lawyer?

I can't stand the character of Judd Hirsch.  I hated this actor with a passion when he played the gay decorator on "Sex and the City", and the obsession with Kono is completely creepy.  I'm not sure why she was so nice to him... because he's trying to make his dad proud even though his dad knows what a complete scumbag he is?  I hope he doesn't become a recurring character any more than he already is.

Gabriella Wo Fat:  LOLOLOL!

Judd Hirsch - Awwww, I love Mozzie. I never watched SATC, so my reference is the friendly neighborhood conman best friend on White Collar. This is essentially the same character, albeit a touch more perv-ish.

8 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

udd Hirsch - Awwww, I love Mozzie. I never watched SATC, so my reference is the friendly neighborhood conman best friend on White Collar. This is essentially the same character, albeit a touch more perv-ish.

I know Judd Hirsch mostly from Dear John, a fun show and Taxi.

8 hours ago, betsyboo said:

I was incredulous! (I mean, even for this show) I was thinking I was glad I wasn't a patient in that hospital because I'd die before someone deigned to check on me! And RoboCop Chin was able to find a clean shirt, locate his keys AND his car and still be conscious enough to DRIVE TO A PLACE HE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT!?!?!? In a car riddled with bullet holes and yet miraculously started???

He! I thought some of McGarrett's Wolverine DNA must have rubbed off.

• Love 1
(edited)

No one coming to check on Chin when he unhooked all the hospital stuff was the most realistic thing they've ever done on this show. My mom was in the hospital recently and every time she bent her arm (approximately 900 times a day), the IV monitor would set off an alarm and the IV drip would pause. No one ever came to see what all the BEEP BEEP BEEP was about. The nurses would only shut off the alarm and restart the drip if I physically went to get them (if I pushed the call button, there was only a 50/50 chance anyone would answer) or if they came into the room for some other reason. After about two days of this, I watched the nurse while she reset the machine and after that I just did it myself. And if we took off the pulse oximeter or heart telemetry thing so she could get out of bed, no alarms would go off at all. This wasn't Crap County Medical Center; it was a hospital that's consistently rated one of the best in the country. When Chin took off his IV and all his monitors, if anyone had come running or even walking slowly to his room, my reaction would have been, "ha ha ha, this show is ridiculous!"

Edited by fishcakes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, betsyboo said:

ha! Yes! I was just continuing @blackwing's nickname convention. :-)

I was just like, WHAT?! Judd Hirsch was on that episode? How did I miss that?! And I went and looked it up to make sure I wasn't hallucinating and discovered I wasn't but it was the character's name but I didn't correct the OP because mainly I was on my tablet and typing is a pain but I also hate being the one who didn't get the joke (see: my entire childhood) so I'm glad to come back and see that it was, in fact, a joke. I'll see myself out, carry on....

• Love 2
17 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

@blackwing: I know you don't care, but Jerry Ortega became Chin's roommate when his mom sold her house in Honolulu, where he'd been living with her, & moved to Maui. Jerry & Chin were in band together, in the same graduating class at Kukui High, which is how they know each other to start with. I assume another part of the reason Chin took Jerry in was maybe so the house wouldn't seem so "lonely" after Malia was murdered, & because he had room to spare.

Yeppers..... still don't care.  The more I think about it, the more I think it's great that Jerry Garcia and San Francisco Police Lady were sharing ice cream.  Although if it were me, I would have had them eating a pint of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia instead of that Rocky Road, because, you know, "Jerry Garcia".  I think this is a good development because it might indicate that San Francisco Police Lady and Jerry Garcia are getting together, because why should San Francisco Police Lady settle for a dud like Chin when she has that perfect specimen of manhood in crazy paranoid neurotic Jerry Garcia who wants to stay up until 3 AM and eat ice cream right out of the carton with her?

If I could write the script... Chin gets custody of the little girl.  Then the state seizes Gabriel Wainwright's enormous crime lord hilltop estate and gives it to Chin so he can live there with the little girl, because she needs to be in a familiar environment.  This leaves San Francisco Police Lady and Jerry Garcia all alone in Chin's house, and hopefully they can just live there happily ever after..... OFFSCREEN.

• Love 1

And then one of us ladies here who would appreciate Chin far more than SFPL ever could... can go live with him and his adorable niece. I'll volunteer as long as he starts wearing a helmet when he's on his motorcycle.

• Love 2
(edited)

Gerard Hirsch's father, Leo Hirsch, was played by Elliott Gould, not Judd Hirsch.

Willie Garson, who has played the son in several episodes, is the actor who was on SATC.

Edited by buckboard
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, blackwing said:

he has that perfect specimen of manhood in crazy paranoid neurotic Jerry Garcia who wants to stay up until 3 AM and eat ice cream right out of the carton with her?

But notice that JG's "girlfriend" (and sister) have to meet conventional standards of beauty.  We can have Kona [ugh!] and Flippa [ugh times 10] as well as JG, but never any woman who isn't at least fairly good looking.

Edited by jhlipton
Odd strikethrough!
  • Love 2

Is the actor playing the crime boss woman being directed to act like that or is the actor just really bad? It's like she has a "this is what I'm going to say now" face when she talks. 

I liked how she laughed at them too. I was like, "they'll just kill you if you're not of any use to them."

I find it strange that 5-0 can basically catch any bad guy once they know what's going on but Michelle Shioma just has to call her lawyer and they're stuck.

I think Steve pointed out "we keep her out there and keep and eye on her". So she's still useful to them. 

On 5/9/2016 at 1:24 PM, blackwing said:

San Francisco Police Lady

Cracks me up every time. I don't know if she's been working out, but she was looking fit. I still keep calling her Rita but SFPL is more apt because she's barely a real character so why should she have a name? Serves her right. I like how the characters just have different names here and everyone rolls with it. "I don't care what his real name is. That's what he's called now." #JuddHirsh

• Love 1