Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Chapter Forty-Two

Petra hosts a brunch for Mother's Day, altering the Villanueva ladies' usual holiday tradition. Meanwhile, Jane's TA position becomes endangered; Rogelio feels left out of Dina's birthday celebration; and Rafael's half brother lands him in hot water.

Xo and Esteban = Ewwwwwww...

Ro and Michael = such  cool bromance! 

Jane and Rafael = Awwww... They were very sweet. It was nice to see them get along for the first time in a long time.

Derek and Mutter = GRRRRRRRR!!!!! Leave Rafael alone! The poor guy cannot catch a break.

Aneska and Petra = Oh dear lord have they switched???

Petra and Jane = Heartbreaking. I thought they were on the right path to become good friends... And for a while there, even tho it was awkward, that mother's day lunch was fun! Petra needs to stop sabotaging all of her relationships.

And Mateo... that part where he laughs at the worse moment? So precious. So adorable!

• Love 4

Enjoyed it a lot.

I agree that Petra sabotages all her relationships. No matter how much she likes Jane, she always feel insecure around her. Watching her spiral in this was no fun.

I was a bit confused though - I thought Aneska's collapse at the Mother's Day lunch was an act but the hospital seemed to confirm there was something wrong with her?

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

I was a bit confused though - I thought Aneska's collapse at the Mother's Day lunch was an act but the hospital seemed to confirm there was something wrong with her?

Petra said Anezka is epileptic, and it appears that's legit...? 

I also agree about Petra sabotaging her relationships, but oh, did I feel awful for Petra during that Jane love-fest video. I know this isn't the kind of show that's not supposed to be too worried about the fine points (and it shouldn't be--it's a telenovela), but all I could think was that really, did Rogelio have to show it then? Why not in the Villanueva family's rooms later? Here's Petra, who's struggling so hard with motherhood, watching everyone coo over what a wonderful mother Jane is. It was the one time Anezka did exactly the right thing.

I'm kind of glad there are only two more episodes this season. I still love the show, but for some reason this season has exhausted me.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 10

I'm so glad that I took a break from the show and the triangle drama. I'm a Jane and Rafael shipper but I can accept Jane and Michael now that's it's in motion. I even found that I am liking Michael a lot more. His computer research scene was hilarious.

Aneska has epilepsy so her having an attack due to the stress of them arguing tracks.

I too am upset that Petra torpedoed her burgeoning friendship with Jane. She needs friends in her life. I'm glad that she took up for Aneska but I wish it wasn't because Jane might have, maybe said something about her parenting skills or lack thereof. 

Which let's be honest aren't untrue statements. I wish that she was a little more checked in to to the babies lives'. 

Of course Xo slept with Rogelio's arch nemesis. I have to say I think Dinogelio is adorable. I'm really liking how hard he is trying to win her over. I also liked that Jane realized that she felt some type of way about it and talked to Rogelio about it.

I loved Rogelio's mothers day gift for Jane. I did feel bad for Petra though. I'm upset that Aneska is another evil twin. I was so hoping that she could be the family Petra so desperately wants and needs.

I don't understand the stuff with Rafael's mother and brother. Isn't Rafael her child too?

• Love 1

I just wants Petra and Jane to be friends! They keep getting so close, then something always screws it up. 

So Aneska is an evil twin? I hope maybe she can just be a trouble twin, instead of an "take over your life as an evil plan" kind of twin. 

Michael as a technical adviser was all kinds of adorable.

• Love 2
(edited)

Since 'Isabel' (show about Fernando and Isabel) and 'El ministerio del tiempo' (show about time travellers fixing the past), actually had a crossover on Spanish TV last year, I thought this was especially amusing. Sadly, neither show is a telenovela, or stars Rogelio. Or includes enough codpieces, truth be told.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 1

It's kind of funny, because I think a lot of people expected Aneska to be the evil twin, even with Petra being morally grey, at best. But it does seem like Aneska is actually genuine with her relationship with Petra. She only hates Jane because she realized how complicated her and Petra are as friends. Once she realized that Jane got in the way of Petra's happiness, she didn't hesitate to try to sabotage Jane, but she even owned up to it as well. I think, if anything, Aneska doing anything bad could be a result of being manipulated due to foreign barriers and stuff. I'm just hoping it isn't an act and Aneska is Mutter's minion, or something. 

Michael working for Rogelio was hilarious. I really enjoy their bromance.

I was actually sad for Petra when Rogelio was showing that Mother's Day video for Jane. Aneska absolutely did the right thing in speaking up for Petra, especially since she was the hostess. 

Honestly, I'd be ok with Rogelio and Xo not getting back together, because sometimes these things happen. I know they will, but I'd be fine if they accepted that they're better off friends. Plus, I'm surprised at how much I love Dina and Rogelio together. And I totally figured Xo would sleep with Rogelio's arch nemesis eventually. 

Honestly, I'm really rooting for Petra to get her happy ending soon. I'm hoping it's with her figuring out motherhood, because I do think she's still hesitant on being a mother.

Yeah, this season is so ending on someone getting shot. But I have to wonder two things: is it going to be because of Mutter/Derek, or possibly another reason? And is Michael going to get shot, or is it going to be someone completely surprising, like Xo, for example? 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, kirinan said:

Petra said Anezka is epileptic, and it appears that's legit...? 

I also agree about Petra sabotaging her relationships, but oh, did I feel awful for Petra during that Jane love-fest video. I know this isn't the kind of show that's not supposed to be too worried about the fine points (and it shouldn't be--it's a telenovela), but all I could think was that really, did Rogelio have to show it then? Why not in the Villanueva family's rooms later? Here's Petra, who's struggling so hard with motherhood, watching everyone coo over what a wonderful mother Jane is. It was the one time Anezka did exactly the right thing.

I'm kind of glad there are only two more episodes this season. I still love the show, but for some reason this season has exhausted me.

Yes, because he is Rogelio.  And Anezka totally stepped up for her sis!  Raf, dude, you have two more kids!

While Petra is good at sabotaging her own relationships, Rafael is right there with her on this.  Why is he (still) confiding in Jane?   Aside from familial relationships, Petra is his business partner and as she correctly points out she is the one to go to for financial issues, and blackmail.

Rafael should also realize that she will tell Michael, especially if it involves anything to do with "the big case".

We all agree that Nerdy Rogelio is the foxiest Rogelio, right?

Right!

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, elle said:

While Petra is good at sabotaging her own relationships, Rafael is right there with her on this.  Why is he (still) confiding in Jane?   Aside from familial relationships, Petra is his business partner and as she correctly points out she is the one to go to for financial issues, and blackmail.

I actually don't have a problem with Rafael confiding in Jane.  I think its nice that they are still friends and friends confide in each other.  I like that she noticed something was bothering him and got him to open up about it.  I think I would appreciate Petra's stance on this issue better if it didn't always come from a place of jealousy.  I think that's her biggest problem.  Jane has her own faults but jealousy is rarely one of them.  I wish that Petra had told Jane the truth about Aneska writing the ad because it was bigger than any petty jealousy.  Jane's job as a t.a. could definitely be a big part of shaping her career, I was disappointed that Petra played with that.

• Love 7
(edited)

It's funny how mileage varies because I came away thinking this episode established that Anezka is a con artist who's playing Petra.

I was taken aback at the end of last episode when she put the ad in the paper because it was an extremely nuanced move for someone who's supposed to be totally clueless. But this episode she clearly set out to estrange Jane and Petra and she succeeded. Every time it looked like Jane and Petra were going to work it out, Anezka came in and ruined it. It looked like it was bumbling social cluelessness again but when you look at the episode as a whole it wasn't.

She wrote the grammatically-incorrect phrase into that email so she could deliberately drop it into a conversation with Jane. She knew that Jane would then go and talk to Petra about it. Then, when Petra confronted her she manipulated her into covering for her by pushing her buttons around motherhood - and doing so in a way that pitted her against Jane. Then she deliberately dropped that phrase into the conversation again at Mother's Day when Jane and Petra were reconciling. The faux epileptic fit was designed to make Jane look like a bully. And then at the hospital, she "confessed" just as Petra and Jane were making up again so that Jane would know Petra lied about it. Add that to her impersonating her sister to the nannies as a 'test run' and it equals a con artist.

She's splitting up Jane and Petra so that Petra will be completely reliant on her emotionally.

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 11

I agree with the recapper, this show does a great job of handling these issues. I'm surprised by how much this show has grown on me.

I love love love this show - especially loved the tiny bit with the tipsy narrator

I admit to being confused.  That was Petra at the end?  She died her hair?  I'm definitely unclear about that part

They are so clever on this show and sometimes a show can't even manage to be this good and clever for more than their first season.  I have liked, overall, this season better than last and I loved last year.  

They continually surprise me which is a treat - as I'm rarely surprised by anything on tv - whether it's the crime shows or the horrible shonda shows, etc - this one though, always comes up with some totally unexpected turns.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, AudienceofOne said:

She's splitting up Jane and Petra so that Petra will be completely reliant on her emotionally.

Well, with the idea that Aneska is a con artist trying to manipulate Petra...  What do you make of the ending? Seems like Aneska impersonated Petra... I think Aneska has the hots for Rafael so bad and that's what's making her do all of these things...

I do think that part of Aneska acting the way she is is to manipulate Petra, just like their mom has done all this time. But I don't think it's the only reason...

Edited by Bouffe
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Bouffe said:

Well, with the idea that Aneska is a con artist trying to manipulate Petra...  What do you make of the ending?

She clearly wants Petra's life. That was the subtext of her "a great mother" speech.

(edited)
2 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

She clearly wants Petra's life. That was the subtext of her "a great mother" speech.

Oh yes, that much is clear. She wants Petra's life. She wants Rafael. She wants the money. And everything. It was interesting that Aneska was able to fool Rafael when she impersonated Petra. 

Edited tos ay, I was wrong, Aneska impersonated Petra while talking with the nannies. See comments below!

Edited by Bouffe
10 minutes ago, Bouffe said:

Oh yes, that much is clear. She wants Petra's life. She wants Rafael. She wants the money. And everything. It was interesting that Aneska was able to fool Rafael when she impersonated Petra. 

Okay, now I totally have to go back and watch... so I may be way off about this.  Are you saying that evilTwin dyed her hair and was the one who told Raphael they need to outsmart his brother?  That had to be Petra though, because she was the one who overheard at the party.  You must be referring to a different time when she impersonated Petra, but I can't think of when that could have been.

And it seemed like she was testing out her Petra-accent with the nannies, but still had her dark hair wrapped up in the towel.  At least that's how I remember it, but I wasn't paying super close attention or anything.

I really hated that the friendship between Petra and Jane is now on the rocks.   It was one of the best parts of the show for me.   Sadly, I knew it wouldn't last.

I don't know much about epilepsy.  Are there signs right after a seizure that would indicate she really had one and has epilepsy?  Or is it likely she was faking and fooled the hospital staff also?   Any kind of special brainwave patterns indicative of epilepsy?   I'm sad that Petra has another horrible family member.   She has that in common with poor Raphael. 

8 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I don't know much about epilepsy.  Are there signs right after a seizure that would indicate she really had one and has epilepsy?  Or is it likely she was faking and fooled the hospital staff also?   Any kind of special brainwave patterns indicative of epilepsy?

That thought crossed my mind too but.... I remembered the MST3K mantra* and modified it for this show: If you're wondering how?. And other science facts, Just repeat to yourself "It's a telenovella! More ice cream!

*actual quote: If you're wondering how he eats and breathes. And other science facts, Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax!

12 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Are you saying that evilTwin dyed her hair and was the one who told Raphael they need to outsmart his brother?  That had to be Petra though, because she was the one who overheard at the party.  You must be referring to a different time when she impersonated Petra, but I can't think of when that could have been.

And it seemed like she was testing out her Petra-accent with the nannies, but still had her dark hair wrapped up in the towel.  At least that's how I remember it, but I wasn't paying super close attention or anything.

I think you have the Petra/Anezka bit at the end correct.  Petra (blond) was the one to confront Rafael about going to Jane about the money, hotel, and blackmailing brother because she did overhear Jane telling Michael at the party.

The audience thought the were seeing Petra (hair up in towel) scolding the nannies for diving into the buffet before the guest had left, but the telenovella twist was it was Anezka!  Setting us up for who knows what in the future.

I like the theory that Anezka knew what she was doing the entire time with Jane and Petra and the college ad.  It makes sense that she would want to take over Petra's life.  We are reminded every show she has been on that she is mad crushing on Rafael and this plot is straight out of the telenovella handbook.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, AudienceofOne said:

I wasn't saying she impersonated Petra with Rafael. I was saying she impersonated Petra with the nannies - presumably as a 'test run'.

My mistake, you are right - Aneska impersonated Petra while talking to the nannies, near the end of the episode. The one talking to Rafael about Derek was Petra. 

Typically I don't feel overly invested in this show but I felt so hard for Petra during that Jane video lovefest. Glad she at least had her sister, shady as she is, to speak up for her.

Raf here's a pro-tip: You have three kids, not just one. I hope that European backpack trip you plan on taking with Mateo one day includes the twins too.

• Love 3

The subtle blink-and-you'll-miss-it dig at the current state of politics me laugh so hard. When Rogelio insisted that the leader of a country shouldn't discuss the size of his codpiece, there was a quick "#registertovote" on the screen. It's not like this show to be political, but I guess they couldn't help themselves. Rogelio/Michael 2016!

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Thog said:

It's not like this show to be political, but I guess they couldn't help themselves. Rogelio/Michael 2016!

Actually, this show isn't scared to get political; see first gif here.

"...one would think that a feminist professor might potentially take exception to Blake's use of the very gendered term "drama" to describe the misunderstandings and calamities Jane has had to deal with this year. Would Blake complain about the "drama" a male student brought to the department? Probably not."

I can't tell if this was meant to be a joke. If not, when did "drama" become a gendered term? I hear it used in connection males as much as I do with females.

While Rogelio's video was a sweet and thoughtful gift for Jane on her first Mother's Day, it was really insensitive and inconsiderate for him to show it while Petra was there. Even without the emotional baggage between Petra and Jane, Petra's postpartum depression, etc. it was rude. It would be like going to a wedding where the people giving toasts are all from one side of the family. There was no reason why Rogelio had to show the video at Petra's lunch. He could have easily waited until afterward and then gone to Jane's hotel room to show it to their family.

Ha, even Derek's own mother hates his stupid scarves. Finally, something Mutter and I can agree on.

So Anezka's plan is to take over Petra's identity? I don't think Petra would willingly trade places with her permanently so I guess Anezka's plan is to alienate Petra from Jane (so she has no emotional support from her now, but also because if Jane and Petra are on the outs, then Jane won't be around to notice if Anezka as Petra makes any mistakes), make everyone think that Anezka is gone (either voluntarily by leaving Miamia/going back home or by dying, going to jail, etc. to get rid of Petra) and then assuming Petra's identity so that she can be rich and powerful (and of course she will try to get Rafael to fall in love with her).

Michael's uniform made him look like he worked on a pastel version of the Love Boat.

I thought Jane's realization about the Rogelio/Dina situation was going to be that even though she was okay with him dating someone who isn't Xiomara, she didn't want to help him pretend to be someone he isn't or actively help him convince Dina to upgrade him from a booty call to a boyfriend because, you know, he's her dad and that's just weird.

The Jane lovefest really annoyed me - the show is just so convinced of her amazingness, that they forget to show it sometimes and just tell us about it.  A lot.  How awful of Rafael not to do anything at all for Petra, despite contributing to the Jane video!  How self-centred of Jane not to do anything for her own mother or grandmother!  

I also thought it was very poor form to accept Petra's hospitality and then shout at her sister.  Was that really the time?

On 03/05/2016 at 7:41 PM, blugirlami21 said:

Jane has her own faults but jealousy is rarely one of them.

Who would she be jealous of?  Everyone loves her.

• Love 1