Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: It's All Greek to Me

• Start Topic

(edited)

Oh that stupid, unprofessional chief stew.  Kate Chastain's head must be exploding... Ben was very irritated with this new chick's lack of professionalism.  I know he wishes he had Kate on the boat.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 3
(edited)

If Ben and Hannah had been paying attention to their menu run-through instead of flirting and tittering at each other, that mess could have been avoided.  I remember Ben saying "it helps" to have pretty girls in the galley--yeah, no, apparently it really doesn't.

Too bad the moussaka was such a bust, but it's understandable.  If you think you're eating ground beef and it's actually lamb (with cinnamon,) you'll think the flavor is musty and "off."  How can Hannah think she has no responsibility in that?  On the other hand, it's a very rich and oily dish--maybe not the best choice for the healthy, pure and natural skin care people on Night One.  No nice fresh seafood to follow up that giant honk of fried cheese in brandy?

I don't think it's possible to spend five years (or five days) in the Greek Isles and be unfamiliar with moussaka and saganaki.

I'm so disappointed in the woman crew person who overslept.  I thought she was going to be my favorite, but she got knocked way out of first place by bitching out her co-worker because he didn't lie to their boss the way she did.  Oversleeping is bad, but everyone's done it--own up, apologize and guarantee it won't happen again.  (To your boss and your crewmate who got screwed.)

I'm thinking that whole frantic "24 hours to board, meet each other, stock in the supplies and prepare the vessel" was either entirely fake or producer generated for maxi-drama.

Edited by candall
  • Love 12
(edited)

I am not sure I can handle the ugliness of the inside of the boat.

So the woman who wants to ge a captain isnt detail oriented, that should go well!

Ben people want good food not to be challenged! Also why are you cooking in your pajamas?

The one deckhand looks like Ralph Macchio!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

So the woman who wants to ge a captain isnt detail oriented, that should go well!

Ben people want good food not to be challenged! Also why are you cooking in your pajamas?

The inside of this boat is gaudy. I laughed when one of the girls was talking about the faucets. She said something like puking swans or some such. Those faucets do look like that too.

Girl deckhand is a little to full of herself. I guess she has no alarm clock to wake her up. Bad move

She is going to clash with the head deck hand. He is on a whole 'nother level.

Should be exciting

• Love 1

Not sure what to make of Captain Mark - after getting used to Captain Lee's grumpy demeanor, Mark feels absolutely joyful and cuddly while at the same time completely flat and colorless.

That lesbian deckhand is trouble.  I can tell already.  She wanted other people to lie and scheme for her the first 24 hours on the boat.   Clearly the blond hunk Bosun Boss is more concerned with having a regimented pecking order and bossing everyone.  

It will be fascinating to watch self-proclaimed high-school dropout Head Stewardess Hannah who has made yachting and (chief stewardessing) HER ENTIRE LIFE trying to boss "scientist" Tiffany who has seemingly OVERDONE her gathering of academic degrees.  It's never good when an academic underachiever (Hannah) tries to boss an overachiever (Tiffany).  The match that will light this kerosene will be Tiffany's indifference to being a steward PLUS Tiffany's clear exhibition of zero common sense.  That will end up being a big train wreck at some point.

Ben will likely be the same old Ben - the levelling force of stability.

The husband of the primary client was like a whining bitch about the football game.

The rest of the crew were too vacuous and faceless to really get to know yet.

• Love 1

The primary on the first cruise was clearly trying to use her 15 minutes to get herself some type of workout video deal or something along the lines. Really....was it necessary to do the railing push up in a bikini?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, seasquared said:

The primary on the first cruise was clearly trying to use her 15 minutes to get herself some type of workout video deal or something along the lines. Really....was it necessary to do the railing push up in a bikini?

I agree, unnecessary, but it sure was impressive....

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 6FeetUnder said:

The match that will light this kerosene will be Tiffany's indifference to being a steward PLUS Tiffany's clear exhibition of zero common sense.

Oh, yeah, I always looooove the staffers who are too good to wait on the passengers.  [/s]

Looks like there might be a line of people waiting to get on that list, although I kind of admired cocky little "bought a Greyhound ticket, workin' hard, gettin' paid, livin' my dream" guy.  But as Bosawks noted, it's way too early--my respect will probably detonate five minutes into the next episode.  Heh.

• Love 5

Who the hell does that deckhand think she is sleeping in and expecting to have her ass covered? Entitled much? Don't like her. 

Ben, get your head out of your horny ass and be the chef we know you can be. 

That chief stew has a lot to learn about presenting the food. Makes me miss Kate. Say what we will about ol' Kate, she knew what she was doing when it came to serving and presenting the food. Even if she had to fake it a couple of times. This chick...not so much. I do give her credit for trying hard to get the football game on even thought it was virtually impossible and totally stupid for the guests to even ask. They should have been told before they paid a dime for the trip that that wasn't going to happen.  But of course this is a TV show so let the drama begin....

• Love 5

Missing Captain Lee, not feeling this captain at all.

Sleeping Beauty deckhand is going to be big trouble.  She really thinks she gets to do whatever because she has more experience working as a deckhand, including sleeping in and having her co-worker lie for her?  Nope.  She'd also said she had quit med school as it was too confining.  I'm betting her attitude bit her in the ass there, too.  

Ben really didn't cater the menu to the health nuts in this charter.  Not sure why the moussaka was too heavy but fried cheese was not?  Anyhow, he could have explained the menu to the chief stew; she also needed to go to him before dinner service to review it.

The stew who wants to be a captain, but isn't detail oriented?  How can you be such a science whiz and not be detail oriented?  She clearly came on board to be on the show in whatever capacity.  Oh and boo hoo,you don't like cleaning bathrooms.  Who does?  That be the job - clean and do whatever for the guests.

And the "we MUST watch the Steelers game" crap.  I was thinking why do you travel out of the U.S. when it's football season on a vacation?  It's not like this was a business trip (well maybe to promote wifey's business).  He didn't have to come even if it was a promo for the business seeing how he's such a die hard Steelers fan.  It hit me that maybe it'd be the same thing in summer (I'm a huge Pirates fan, can't miss a game) or winter/spring (I'm a huge Penguins fan...), but there are fewer NFL games.  I think it's all made up drama by production.  

Ben really didn't cater the menu to the health nuts in this charter.  Not sure why the moussaka was too heavy but fried cheese was not?  Anyhow, he could have explained the menu to the chief stew; she also needed to go to him before dinner service to review it.

It could have been the combination of the two, though I definitely fine moussaka a lot heavier than saganaki. I would have at least had a salad on the side of the moussaka because that's a lot of rich foods. 

Ben did explain the menu to Hannah before the dinner service, she even took notes.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2016 at 11:24 PM, candall said:

Too bad the moussaka was such a bust, but it's understandable.  If you think you're eating ground beef and it's actually lamb (with cinnamon,) you'll think the flavor is musty and "off."  How can Hannah think she has no responsibility in that?

I was yelling the same thing at the tv.  She could have said she check or perhaps being head stew she would have known or had a card taped to her tray.  Idiot!

On 5/4/2016 at 8:30 AM, 6FeetUnder said:

That lesbian deckhand is trouble.  I can tell already.  She wanted other people to lie and scheme for her the first 24 hours on the boat.   Clearly the blond hunk Bosun Boss is more concerned with having a regimented pecking order and bossing everyone.  

I concur!

Welcome back Ben.  The captain seems more of a Gilligan, no?

• Love 3
(edited)

Regarding the Steelers game, the primary's hubby told them it was a requisite, so, in my understanding, it was asked prior confirming the booking of the cruise, so....

Additionnally, I don't understand why anybody thought about purchasing either the HDMI cable or even a laptop and going to find on the internet how to get it streamed, through which channel / provider, and go for it ! There are so many possibilities to do it that I really don't understand where the problem is...

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Regarding the Steelers game, the primary's hubby told them it was a requisite, so, in my understanding, it was asked prior confirming the booking of the cruise, so....

Additionnally, I don't understand why anybody thought about purchasing either the HDMI cable or even a laptop and going to find on the internet how to get it streamed, through which channel / provider, and go for it ! There are so many possibilities to do it that I really don't understand where the problem is...

I'm with you.   They're not on Mars or even steaming across the Atlantic--Hannah fully expected to find the game listed along with those 22 other sporting events on the giant tv program guide.

(It doesn't matter that "boats don't have cables."  You can watch live tv in your car now, zooming down the interstate. Eek!)  

• Love 1

"I hope he doesn't plan to go through life without lying." Paraphrasing what sleepyhead deck hand snarled in her TH when grousing that the other deck hand wouldn't lie for her. Yikes. We may have our first lesbian sociopath deck hand.

I like the tall cheerful deck hand. He appears to be sort of guileless.

• Love 3
On 5/4/2016 at 8:30 AM, 6FeetUnder said:

It will be fascinating to watch self-proclaimed high-school dropout Head Stewardess Hannah who has made yachting and (chief stewardessing) HER ENTIRE LIFE trying to boss "scientist" Tiffany who has seemingly OVERDONE her gathering of academic degrees.  It's never good when an academic underachiever (Hannah) tries to boss an overachiever (Tiffany).  The match that will light this kerosene will be Tiffany's indifference to being a steward PLUS Tiffany's clear exhibition of zero common sense.  That will end up being a big train wreck at some point.

I'm not sure Tiffany is an "overachiever." She has a bachelor's degree in marine biology from Florida International; she doesn't have a PhD or anything. Don't get me wrong, a BS is an achievement--but it's not really jaw-dropping, despite her "I'm a scientist!" shtick.

On 5/5/2016 at 8:24 PM, hoosier80 said:

Sleeping Beauty deckhand is going to be big trouble.  She really thinks she gets to do whatever because she has more experience working as a deckhand, including sleeping in and having her co-worker lie for her?  Nope.  She'd also said she had quit med school as it was too confining.  I'm betting her attitude bit her in the ass there, too.  

And the "we MUST watch the Steelers game" crap.  I was thinking why do you travel out of the U.S. when it's football season on a vacation?  It's not like this was a business trip (well maybe to promote wifey's business).  He didn't have to come even if it was a promo for the business seeing how he's such a die hard Steelers fan.  It hit me that maybe it'd be the same thing in summer (I'm a huge Pirates fan, can't miss a game) or winter/spring (I'm a huge Penguins fan...), but there are fewer NFL games.  I think it's all made up drama by production.  

The deckhand squicked me out when she was talking about Hannah's body in fairly graphic terms. I don't care if you're a lesbian; it's still disrespectful to talk about a woman that way that way. And as for the Steelers game ... my money is on production, too.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/4/2016 at 0:13 AM, biakbiak said:

HA !!!  Every single thing here was floating around in my brain.  Gosh, I hate to see Ben cooking in my 80-year old elderly father's pajamas.  No bueno.  Really hating that female deck hand who overslept.  Then in her talking head she says something to the effect "How do people get along in life without lying?!" or some such BS.  I pretty much loathe every cast member on this show except Ben.  I am not feeling any of them (although the season's just started so I will continue to watch).  Ralph Macchio indeed!

Edited by beesknees
(edited)
3 hours ago, beesknees said:

HA !!!  Every single thing here was floating around in my brain.  Gosh, I hate to see Ben cooking in my 80-year old elderly father's pajamas.  No bueno.  Really hating that female deck hand who overslept.  Then in her talking head she says something to the effect "How do people get along in life without lying?!" or some such BS.  I pretty much loathe every cast member on this show except Ben.  I am not feeling any of them (although the season's just started so I will continue to watch).  Ralph Macchio indeed!

Yeah, I agree with you about the new cast. I guess the chief stew thinks being a snotty B*** is equal to being a pro and smart.

I really liked her comment about, "I wash the laundry at 90 degrees." Was that supposed to make her look like a pro and at the same time she doesn't know what moussaka is?

& the new bosun reminds me of a constipated elementary school teacher the way he brow beats the deck crew. I liked Eddy because he just didn't give orders. He was always working and leading the deck crew.

& I guess the tall guy thinks he is a swordsman or something. Does he really frontal moon the camera?

Edited by Belowdeckchatter
spelling
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:27 AM, bichonblitz said:

Who the hell does that deckhand think she is sleeping in and expecting to have her ass covered? Entitled much? Don't like her. 

Ben, get your head out of your horny ass and be the chef we know you can be. 

That chief stew has a lot to learn about presenting the food. Makes me miss Kate. Say what we will about ol' Kate, she knew what she was doing when it came to serving and presenting the food. Even if she had to fake it a couple of times. This chick...not so much. I do give her credit for trying hard to get the football game on even thought it was virtually impossible and totally stupid for the guests to even ask. They should have been told before they paid a dime for the trip that that wasn't going to happen.  But of course this is a TV show so let the drama begin....

The boat was a Versace nightmare. Looked like something an 80's cocaine king would insist on.

The head stew also made me miss Kate especially her professionalism and presentation style. Ah, Kate's  tablescapes... beautiful... what do we get on the  S.S. Tony Montana... blue water bottles as a vase my how early 90's when every restaurant seemed to have  those Tynant water bottles on the tables. Also if Kate had heard Tiffany wasn't detail oriented she would have set her straight and checked the shoddily prepared guest bedroom and made her re-do it correctly. The bed was made worse than one would find in a Motel 6. Also "I wash at 90 degrees" sounded so stupid. Read the effing care label. Cold means cold and hot means hot, not everything at warm.

Ben's Moussaka looked awful, I knew that eggplant was soaking up that frying oil like a sponge. I would have sent it back. Also it should have been presented on a plate or an oval gratin dish not in a bowl like a 3 year olds spaghetti-o's.  Bad first impression.

Little Miss Lying Deckhand can take a dive off the boat and swim home. Connie could run circles around her.

Edited by Giselle