Type keyword(s) to search

Hey, I Know You! L&O Actors In Other Roles...

• Start Topic

I searched and searched but didn't see a thread for this - so I was proactive and made one.

I live near the Albany, NY area, and my local CBS affiliate is currently showing Elementary in syndication. Lo and behold, I heard a very familiar, distinctive voice. Richard Brooks is on as a police detective! Even sporting a mustache. Hee.

The show tends to have some actors from the franchise (the aforementioned Brooks and Kathryn Erbe [CI] that I've seen so far - maybe more) or other non-regular cast/guest-starring actors who have appeared on any of the given 3 L&O shows over time. Pretty neat.

Speaking of Jerry Orbach, I never knew he appeared on this or didn't remember, but he is now on an episode of Hunter (5th season episode) on the Heroes & Icons channel.

That makes two from L&O, since Dann Florek appeared on the show in S4.

Watching the second episode of the third season, Conspiracy, on WE right now, and Gloria Foster is playing the widow of the civil rights leader who gets shot at the beginning of the episode. The late Ms. Foster was perhaps best known for portraying The Oracle in The Matrix.

• Love 1

If anyone needs an additional Jerry Orbach fix, on November 22nd on the Heroes & Icons channel, a season 6 episode of Hunter titled "Son and Heir" from 1990, will be shown at 2:00 p.m. ET, in which he plays a father of a cop - and a mobster.

• Love 2
On November 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM, WendyCR72 said:

If anyone needs an additional Jerry Orbach fix, on November 22nd on the Heroes & Icons channel, a season 6 episode of Hunter titled "Son and Heir" from 1990, will be shown at 2:00 p.m. ET, in which he plays a father of a cop - and a mobster.

Here (over-the-air Chicagoland) it's on Nov. 21 at that time. Old iPad 1 date went wonky at midnight, but Wednesday, yes.

Edited by shapeshifter
40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Here (over-the-air Chicagoland) it's on Nov. 21 at that time.

On H&I? Weird! I just rechecked, and yeah. Still listed for tomorrow. The episode for today is said to be "Broken Dreams". (I live near Albany, NY for reference.) I guess check your (universal your!) listings!

18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

On H&I? Weird! I just rechecked, and yeah. Still listed for tomorrow. The episode for today is said to be "Broken Dreams". (I live near Albany, NY for reference.) I guess check your (universal your!) listings!

You are correct. See my correction above. Anyway, thanks for the heads up! 

ETA: I've got my DVDR set to record it. Hopefully…

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Think I mentioned this before, and if I did, I apologize. But Steven Hill was also the original lead on the original 1960s version of Mission: Impossible as Dan Briggs for Season 1. However, the show's shooting schedule often conflicted with his religion, so he dropped out and Peter Graves took over in Season 2.

You can stream it on Paramount Plus or, if you are an Amazon member, if you have the P+ subscription above (grandfathered in when it was CBS All Access, which was one of the Amazon "channels"), you can also stream it through Prime Video.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Something I ran across on the internet today -

42nd Street | 1981 Tony Awards

Of course Jerry Orbach is great, but on another L&O note, I couldn't help thinking that JK Simmons would be incredible in the role assuming he could handle the musical aspects. (Yes I know he can sing and has done musical roles, but I'm not sure if some of it isn't a bit above his range.)

snapshot.jpg

Edited by wknt3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

So I’ve been watching Original Recipe Hawaii Five-O and who should show up as a serial killer? That pompous judge Feldman! And yesterday, it was Arthur Gold George Grizzard as a federal Marshall handling Frank Masucci Charles Cioffi’s character-a drug peddling murderer!

Angela Lansbury's passing has started conversations about her projects and those she worked with. Someone posted this on Twitter: Jerry Orbach and Angela Lansbury recording for Beauty and the Beast (1991). Funny that they also worked together on Murder She Wrote, and Orbach's Harry McGraw character got his own brief spinoff, The Law and Harry McGraw. Thank goodness that failed or Lennie Briscoe would have never came to be!

Eh, what the heck. For some reason, the second video will not post alone, so the first is repeated. Apologies!

• Useful 5
20 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

“NBC has ordered the drama The Irrational starring Jesse L. Martin.

The news was announced on Tuesday (Dec. 27) and according to a press release, the show is based on the best-selling book Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely, who serves as a consultant.”

https://www.yahoo.com/now/irrational-series-starring-jesse-l-204921938.html

Cool 😎
Sound like Jesse L. Martin will play a kind of Sherlock Holmes role:

…The official logline The Irrational follows the story of Alec Baker, a world-renowned professor of behavioral science, as he lends his expertise to an array of high-stakes cases involving governments, law enforcement, and corporations with his unique and unexpected approach to understanding human behavior.…

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

The Oppenheimer movie trailer reminded me that I knew  Sam Waterston from playing the title role on a BBC miniseries that PBS once aired on their Masterpiece Theatre in the early 80s when he showed up to play Mr. McCoy.

• Useful 1

Saw Angie Harmon on Beat Bobby Flay (she looks amazing!) and my brain had to really process it! She was super flirtatious with Bobby (in a joking way) and he totally had a crush on her. Anyways my brain kinda went into a halting grind because I kept expecting Abbie. Abbie who would snark, give Bobby a withering look and put him in his place. It was such a weird experience for me because to me she'll always be Abbie 😅

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Saw Angie Harmon on Beat Bobby Flay (she looks amazing!) and my brain had to really process it! She was super flirtatious with Bobby (in a joking way) and he totally had a crush on her. Anyways my brain kinda went into a halting grind because I kept expecting Abbie. Abbie who would snark, give Bobby a withering look and put him in his place. It was such a weird experience for me because to me she'll always be Abbie 😅

And another franchise connection: Bobby Flay was formerly married to Stephanie March who, of course, played Alexandra Cabot on SVU.

• Useful 4
(edited)

I’m currently working my way through the 16 episodes of Jerry Orbach’s one-season show, “The Law and Harry McGraw.” It was a failed spin-off of the returning character Orbach played in Murder She Wrote. The first few episodes are a bit lacking in character and plot development, but it seems to improve around episode 6, with Orbach’s charm being permitted to shine through. It’s not officially streaming or on any network, but maybe MeTV or one of the other subsidiaries will pick it up during the writers strike. 

Just watched episode 8. 
There’s a LOL bit when the straight laced main character lady decides she has to

Spoiler

fire a gun. She aims with a shaking hand, and then covers her eyes with the other hand before squeezing the trigger.🤣  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2

Someone on YT posted the pilot episode intro for the 1960s series, Mission: Impossible with Steven Hill. (That's him in the video still.)

While everyone remembers Peter Graves as Jim Phelps, Steven Hill as Dan Briggs was the lead character in Season 1. (He quit as the show's shooting schedule interfered with his religion, as he refused to work on the Sabbath [Saturdays].)

If you want to see younger Mr. Hill as Dan Briggs for a bit, here you go! Weird seeing him with a full head of hair!

• Useful 2

Just saw Lorraine Toussaint in Shakespeare in the Park in NYC playing Gertrude in Hamlet along with a number of other guest performers. It was a great production although sadly for old school L&O fans she does not hand anyone their ass on a platter.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Just saw Lorraine Toussaint in Shakespeare in the Park in NYC playing Gertrude in Hamlet along with a number of other guest performers. It was a great production although sadly for old school L&O fans she does not hand anyone their ass on a platter.

Cool. Shambala is one of my favorite L&O defense attorneys. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, AnnieBananie said:

Character actor and fabulously creepy guy Mark Margolis just passed away. L&O fans will know him as the guy who shot Phil Ceretta. 

RIP. He played 5 different roles on the L&O franchise, he was pretty memorable in them, the most memorable one being in Prince of Darkness.

• Like 3

Okay, another "not a role" but appearance deal, the YT Family Feud account had posted a video segment of Celebrity Family Feud basically focused on the late Paul Reubens, a.k.a. Pee Wee Herman.

Apparently, though, S. Epatha Merkerson was also in this episode. (Makes sense; she was on Pee Wee's Playhouse in the '80s!)

• Like 2

Preview of Jesse L. Martin's new NBC series, The Irrational, premiering September 25 at 10:00 p.m.

Keeping it franchise oriented, his character Alec sounds [based on the article, have yet to watch the video!] more like Bobby Goren from CI, with the psychological bent and understanding human behavior, etc.

• Useful 2
On 8/28/2023 at 10:44 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Preview of Jesse L. Martin's new NBC series, The Irrational, premiering September 25 at 10:00 p.m.

Keeping it franchise oriented, his character Alec sounds [based on the article, have yet to watch the video!] more like Bobby Goren from CI, with the psychological bent and understanding human behavior, etc.

I'm definitely going to try it. I hope it's good.

• Like 2

The first movie I ever saw Sam Waterston in was The Great Gatsby from 1974. He was handsome, but for me, he got better looking as he got older. Like when he joined the cast of this show. So much more sexier.

Why am I bringing this up now? Because! I just rewatched the movie the other night!😄

• Like 1

Fun fact for the 2024 awards season:  Sam Waterston won nominations for the BAFTA and Golden Globe awards for portraying Robert Oppenheimer in a 1980 TV series.

(And the only movie I really know him from is Serial Mom from John Waters, though I constantly recognize his distinctive voice in various documentaries.)

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Demian said:

Fun fact for the 2024 awards season:  Sam Waterston won nominations for the BAFTA and Golden Globe awards for portraying Robert Oppenheimer in a 1980 TV series.

What kind of awards?