Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: I to Die, You to Live

While Lex attempts to maintain control outside the cordon, he learns that a young woman, who had close contact with an infected patient, is unaccounted for. With limited resources available, Lex is forced to enlist help from Jake, whose growing resentment towards Lex for getting him trapped inside is causing him to spiral. Elsewhere, Katie attempts to keep it together as she keeps a watchful eye over her students, while Teresa is devastated to learn that her friends may have been exposed to the virus. Finally, Jana, who has learned that her best friend Suzy is also trapped inside the cordon, rations out their limited food as they wait out the 48-hour quarantine.

A cordon doesn't mean they have to keep food out. Starving the healthy people is giving them a reason to break the cordon. This is looking to be a deal breaker for me, despite Claudia Black and faux-Tom Wisdom.

• Love 1

The stupid runs deep in this show.  It's the end of the world, let's party!  Let's send the doctors into infecto-bash fully suited but give the cop an open shield.  He's the one most likely to grab the infected person so, no big deal.  We'll lock people up and starve them.   I'm sure they'll all just wait patiently to see if they are going to die with blood gushing out of their orifices.  Sounds like a plan!

Pregnant teen is annoying.  Pregnant teen's boyfriend is annoying.  Teacher is annoying. Cop trapped with teacher is annoying.  Child of teacher is annoying.  I'd better stop listing the annoying people; I would be here all day.  And yet, I'll keep watching.  Zombie-type shows, I am your bitch. 

• Love 6

It seems likely now that the "government" is in on the outbreak. A mistake allowing the virus to spread?

I thought they could get food into the containment zone; at least some air drops. Hopefully someone on the show will suggest this so that I can maintain some investment in what the characters are doing.

I think the probability that you could put up a cordon around a specific section of the city, even a section where "patient zero" resides, and think that you've sectioned off anyone who has the virus is probably approaching zero. I wish they hadn't said that.

What about all the people that passed through there and got sneezed on, kissed, hugged, etc. and then went on about their business in the day or so before patient zero went to the hospital.

I actually kind of like this show; I'm definitely in for the season.  Maybe even two if it comes back but, like Under the Dome before it I'm out after that.

• Love 1

So if Patient Zero went to a grocery store and touched a lot items then anyone who touched those items would be exposed right? If they bought said items and then drove them outside the city they would infect more people. I'm surprised that Patient Zero who apparently was a terrorist didn't go to the most populated place he could find and touch everything he could before he started to get "sick". You know, travel on a bus, train, plane so he could infect as many people as he could. If he did that, then sealing off the city seems pretty pointless.

Edited by bookrat

They keep saying only "bodily fluids." I guess patient zero would have to sneeze or cough on you or the bread. They also don't say how hearty the virus is. Can it survive long on surfaces? Does it survive bleach? Come to think of it are they doing any research on the virus itself?

Maybe they should go to the arctic to see if they can find the primal strain -- whoops, that's a different show.  Maybe they should go to the jungle to find the primal strain.

I don't think he was a terrorist. Just a scapegoat.

• Love 4

They seem to be doing okay to me. To quarantine a major city On a 48 hour plan people starving to death is not the first priority. What seems nuts is that they are depending upon the Atlanta police alone. Given the time period and the acceptance of a foriegn terrorist attack the the characters have I would expect EVERYBODY from the alert brigade of the 82 Airborne like Katrina on down to be in on this.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Muffyn said:

The stupid runs deep in this show.  It's the end of the world, let's party!  Let's send the doctors into infecto-bash fully suited but give the cop an open shield.  He's the one most likely to grab the infected person so, no big deal.

I just assumed that Jake was offered a hax-mat suit, but declined on account of haz-mat suits looking unattractive.  He's hoping that he'll make it on to a viral video too, and when he does, he wants to look heroic and attractive, not dorky and sensible.  I'm assuming that's the same reason why he refuses to even put his ineffective visor down until the very last second.

And maybe part of him subconsciously wants to get sick, since that'll give him another reason to irrationally yell at his best friend/boss for making him do his job.  "When I get sick and die, that'll show him.  He'll feel sorry then!"

19 hours ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

They keep saying only "bodily fluids." I guess patient zero would have to sneeze or cough on you or the bread. They also don't say how hearty the virus is. Can it survive long on surfaces? Does it survive bleach? Come to think of it are they doing any research on the virus itself?

Maybe they should go to the arctic to see if they can find the primal strain -- whoops, that's a different show.  Maybe they should go to the jungle to find the primal strain.

I don't think he was a terrorist. Just a scapegoat.

I also don't think Patient Zero was a terrorist.  It doesn't seem like a very likely explanation to me.  Much more likely that he was just used as a disease vector -- for instance, maybe those militants who were trying to recruit him in Syria decided to take a different tack by exposing him to the virus and then letting him think he'd escaped on the plane to the US.  If he was in on the plot, it would make a lot more sense for him to travel around exposing as many Americans as possible, and not just hang out at home with his family and infect only them (plus a few medical staff, who would be the most likely to take disease precautions of anyone he could infect).

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, laserlady said:

I just assumed that Jake was offered a hax-mat suit, but declined on account of haz-mat suits looking unattractive.  He's hoping that he'll make it on to a viral video too, and when he does, he wants to look heroic and attractive, not dorky and sensible.  I'm assuming that's the same reason why he refuses to even put his ineffective visor down until the very last second.

And maybe part of him subconsciously wants to get sick, since that'll give him another reason to irrationally yell at his best friend/boss for making him do his job.  "When I get sick and die, that'll show him.  He'll feel sorry then!"

I also don't think Patient Zero was a terrorist.  It doesn't seem like a very likely explanation to me.  Much more likely that he was just used as a disease vector -- for instance, maybe those militants who were trying to recruit him in Syria decided to take a different tack by exposing him to the virus and then letting him think he'd escaped on the plane to the US.  If he was in on the plot, it would make a lot more sense for him to travel around exposing as many Americans as possible, and not just hang out at home with his family and infect only them (plus a few medical staff, who would be the most likely to take disease precautions of anyone he could infect).

I would think it is more the presumption of authority which comes with a badge and uniform that he has as opposed to entering without a warrant in a yellow suit which may get more of a fight back response from people.

I agree about Patient Zero although Atlanta is a regional transportation hub you would think Disney World, but then the contagion might spread back to the terrorist base. If this was a SyFy show it would spread worldwide anyway no matter where the terrorist struck

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, laserlady said:

Gives a whole new meaning to "viral" video.  Just saying.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

Hopefully someone on the show will suggest this so that I can maintain some investment in what the characters are doing.

Hopefully not, otherwise we'll have to hear some ridiculous explanation as to why they couldn't just throw bread over the fence.

2 hours ago, laserlady said:

I also don't think Patient Zero was a terrorist.  It doesn't seem like a very likely explanation to me.

Well, until someone comes up with an innocent explanation as to why he had a phial of virus in his luggage, I will assume he is a baddie.  There are plenty of explanations that might surface, but until something does...

11 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Hopefully not, otherwise we'll have to hear some ridiculous explanation as to why they couldn't just throw bread over the fence.

Well, until someone comes up with an innocent explanation as to why he had a phial of virus in his luggage, I will assume he is a baddie.  There are plenty of explanations that might surface, but until something does...

It is why airport security ask if you packed your own bags. The actual terrorist  found someone going towards the target and loaded him up. A dedicated suicide bomber would have went to a big event, not his family's home waiting for them to spread the biobomb.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I'm a little unclear on when they found it in his bag. If it was at the airport, you wouldn't think he would have made it all the way to his family's home. He would have probably died in a detention center. I suppose it was planted there by the "the government."

Although, with the number of other things we're just supposed to accept, you might be right!

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

It is why airport security ask if you packed your own bags.

They ask if you packed it, and if it's been under your control/scrutiny ever since.  Because they want to use your "yes, yes" response against you if contraband is discovered, and you claim you don't know anything about it.  I advise you to answer as I always do:  "Yes, I packed it. No, numerous hotel staff,  taxi drivers, porters, red-caps, etc have had access to it since ."

On topic:  someone might have planted the phial, but we have no evidence (so far) to suggest that this is so.  I wouldn't be surprised if the show went there, even if it's only a lone, questioning voice in opposition to the whole of law-enforcement taking the easy way out.  But so far, all we have is Patient Zero from a "rogue state" with a phial of lethal biomaterial.

• Love 1

A vial is not a delivery system for a bioweapon. No good for spraying the subway car or the stadium bleachers or the plane cabin at all. At best you can try to pour it into water, but the chances the virus can survive chlorination are pretty low. 

Also there is no discernible reason why a bioterrorist would leave his bioweapon in his luggage. 

However, I am afraid I do not think the show is really misleading us and the guy isn't a terrorist. I'm afraid they really think it's enough to say Syrian and that's it.

• Love 1

I was bored. How bored? When the one police officer wondered how many containers it would take to surround the quarantine zone I actually did a quick calculation. Stacked three high, it would be at least 1200. 

Based on the information the "reporter" said about everyone in the Middle East denying responsibility, I think it will probably be a US government mistake/conspiracy that's the cause of the infection. The whole Syria thing is a red herring.

• Love 2

I started a drinking game everytime someone says four to six feet. Only two episodes in and I am an alcoholic! 

Jake is making police look bad he seems to need anger management classes, and where is his bravery man up dude, stop whining and throwing tantrums. It is taking away from the he is pretty to look at vibe.

I am glad the pregnant teen is worried about her Grandma but I don't think she needs to freak so much about being infected. Her friend kissed her cheek it's not like she livked her face. 

And don't even get me started on the annoying teacher with her ridiculously long sweater. 

All this being said I am in because this series is my genre, just not getting my hopes up too much.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the entire Syrian part is going to end up being a false lead, and the American government will somehow be at fault.  All that stuff the reporter said and other minor hints, seem to be pointing in that direction.

Second episode in and I still kind of dislike all the characters, besides Claudia Black (and that's just because she is Claudia Black.)  There is just the plain boring ones like the panicking teen and Lex being the typical "I don't want to be a leader, but I guess I have too!", and then the ones that just get on my nerves like angry Jake, angry teacher, and all the angry flirting.  At least Jana didn't annoy me as much, but that might have just been because her co-workers equally suck, and it just distracted me from her being stupid.

I swear, the British really looks like Tom Wisdom, but sounds like Aidan Gillan, and it's kind of freaking me out.

24 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

All that stuff the reporter said and other minor hints, seem to be pointing in that direction.

What's going to be the worst part of this show, is that reporter who I'd like to see gut-shot?  Is likely to be the hero of the day.  Because that's how writers think.  

They think it shows who was infected first. This isn't true, because natural variation in people's resistance and the state of their health at time of infection and course of treatment make a difference. 

8 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

They think it shows who was infected first. This isn't true, because natural variation in people's resistance and the state of their health at time of infection and course of treatment make a difference. 

And that's basically what the CDC guy said too.

1 hour ago, scribe95 said:

Can someone explain to me what the teacher's question was and why it is important who died first? 

I think what's important here is the fact the news is reporting that the foreign guy (Patient Zero) died first, followed shortly by his doctor and her boyfriend.  But the teacher and Jake saw the doctor's and her boyfriend's bodies prior to Patient Zero dying.  So even if Patient Zero is the one that infected the rest (which seems likely from what we've seen...), why are they lying about the order of deaths?

I kind of like it so far.  Did they say they wouldn't be able to get food into the cordon?  Because I didn't notice that part, and doesn't the pregnant lady's mom run a store or something anyway?  Did they mention food being an issue?  I must've missed that part.

Major eyerolls to the stupid teenagers that not only party during this outbreak, but also play a game of spin the bottle!  Seriously??  I know I was dumb as a teen, but I don't think I was ever THAT dumb!!!  I'm glad the pregnant girl didn't go though.  And I thought it was sweet that she was worried about her grandmother and wiped everything that she touched down with bleach.  Smart!  But she should probably then go to the hospital and put herself in isolation or something, right??  I predict her baby being the key to the cure!

• Love 2

As an Atlantan, I just starting watching this due to its setting and the fact that the Couchies on The People's Couch were watching.

My thoughts:  The show is making parts of Atlanta look very pretty. 

If Teresa the pregnant teen was going to get on Marta to go to North Springs where Xander was but the station (conveniently not named) was shut down and it sounds as though she was/is in the Midtown/Spring Street area, how did Xander get back?  I hope he has a car because Midtown to North Springs is no easy trek (North Springs is north of the city.) 

What kind of a dumbass teacher takes a busload of middle school kids anywhere without AT LEAST one other adult? 

Do all of these people have some sort of super charged cell phone that doesn't need recharging?

Listen, Katie (the dumbass teacher) - - the reason the 11 year olds are holding it together better than Jake the police officer is because they have NO IDEA what's going on.  Jake has been watching people barf blood and lose their freaking minds so he's entitled to a little bit of duress.  Although FFS don't smash your damn safety helmet. 

And another thing, Katie - - Jake is a police officer.  I think he has more important things to do than help you watch a gaggle of school children (which you SUCK at, by the way.)

Clearly Katie is the most annoying character on this show for me.

Yes, there are weaknesses - -okay, big old holes in the plot - - but I'm still in to see where they're going.

• Love 1

I don't know, the cop annoyed me way more than the teacher. All that whining about being forced to do his actual job.

On 4/29/2016 at 0:56 PM, Netfoot said:

What's going to be the worst part of this show, is that reporter who I'd like to see gut-shot?  Is likely to be the hero of the day.  Because that's how writers think.  

I don't know what's worse - that what he's doing is what passes for journalism these days or that the show seems to think what he's doing is good journalism. It's the worst journalism I've ever seen.