Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Kimmy Goes to Her Happy Place!

Awwww Mikey and his family were adorable. Of course Titus wanted Mikeys coming out to be all about him, and somehow managed to still get his tolerance song and dance in. 

That puppet was...creepy. Funny, but creepy. 

• Love 3

That Puppet Grandma scared the crap out of me! I literally screamed! 

I really love that Mikey's family was so supportive of him. I hope we get to see more of them. Love the fact he has two sisters--Teresa and Theresa. 

I'm not sure how much I'm digging Tina Fey and her day/night personalities. I wonder how long we will see that character because I can see that schtick getting old.  But I like that we are learning more about Kimmy's life before the bunker. I know the show was criticized for making light of cult survivors during season 1...

This morning I was thinking, "You know, Mikey is really nice. Is he too nice/normal for the Kimmy universe?" Then I remembered that he had "hot chick" Tilda Swinton airbrushed onto his truck to to help him pass as straight at work and his grandma is a puppet (and even Mikey wasn't 100% positive that she was a person). He fits right in. I really hope he's back in season three for a number of reasons (I really do like him and Titus together and I think he's good for him), and the opportunity to see puppet grandma again is one of them.

I liked this Tina Fey character better than her Marcia Clarke last season. But I suspect we've seen the last of Andrea. She gave Kimmy a lot of useful tools/insights, but she's too much of a mess for Kimmy to continue with her as a therapist. That isn't to say Tina won't show up again next season as someone else...

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 6

Now that I know Kimmy making up songs is part of her "happy place" coping mechanism:

1) no wonder she's so good at making up songs!

2) that is dark, all her singing is going to be slightly disturbing to me now

3) all her previous singing is retroactively disturbing.

• Love 2

Seeing Kimmy punch that cardboard cut-out and pull out an apple was one of the funniest sight gags of the season. Also, the fact that Andrea was wearing a Dyziplen shirt. 

I hope for Mikey's sake that Titus eventually stops wanting to be the center of attention, or at least occasionally lets Mikey have his moment. I do like that Mikey is so patient with Titus.

I love the whole therapy arc. I like how Kimmy is growing and adapting more to life outside the bunker. She's becoming less of a cartoon character, which is nice to see. 

• Love 7

Of course Titus made Mikey's coming out all about him, but I wonder if that's what makes he and Mikey a good fit. Mikey lacks confidence in a lot of areas and seems to shy away from the spotlight, and Titus is more than happy to take over. There are a lot of different scenarios where that could come in handy, I hope the show goes that route instead of consistently making Titus self-centered at Mikey's expense for no good reason.

Puppet Grandma was amazing.

I love Andrea. Tina nails both personalities while still managing to convince me that they really do live inside the same person. And, hey, she's helping Kimmy, so she serves a purpose!

Yeah, Kimmy's Disneyfied happy place was disturbing, but in the best way that only this show can do. Also...was that Lisa Kudrow voicing the Fairy Godmother? DOES THAT MEAN LISA KUDROW IS KIMMY'S MOM???

"Richard Belzer, it's me, Kimmy, you know me from watching you on TV!"

• Love 3

I love that Tina Fey destroyed Kimmy's happy place.

The puppet was super disturbing, but I liked that the family treated her like everyone else. And of course Titus wanted Mikey's coming out to be dramatic…for him. At least Titus still gave his speech. And the "I blame Ellen Degeneres for this" made me laugh.

• Love 2

Of course Titus made Mikey's coming out all about him, but I wonder if that's what makes he and Mikey a good fit. Mikey lacks confidence in a lot of areas and seems to shy away from the spotlight, and Titus is more than happy to take over. There are a lot of different scenarios where that could come in handy, I hope the show goes that route instead of consistently making Titus self-centered at Mikey's expense for no good reason.

I do think this is at least part of the reason why they are a good fit - I don't think Titus would do well with someone who was competing with him for the spotlight. Mikey seems to like/understand Titus's need for attention, and is mostly happy to indulge it (only getting understandably miffed when it looked like Titus was upset over not being the center of attention at what was rightfully Mikey's moment). 

Interestingly, looking back I realized that Mikey has given Titus what he needed right from the start back in season one before they even started dating. In that season one episode Titus was feeling old and like he had lost his mojo. Then he walks past Mikey who spontaneously comes out to him and asks him out, prompting Titus to ditch the ugly Cosby sweater he was wearing, revealing the "baby slut" t-shirt underneath, mojo returned. Then in season two when Titus felt like the world at large was rejecting him by rejecting his clothes, it was Mikey who took his clothes and made him feel appreciated. I think a lot of stuff like that is why this relationship feels so sweet and downright romantic (not even counting the kismet of Mikey and Titus getting together really all because of Kimmy - if she hadn't misunderstood Mikey's catcall, sending him into his shame spiral/period of self-reflection, would he ever have stopped lying to himself about being gay or spontaneously ask Titus out?).

But while it is sweet to see how supportive Mikey is of Titus, it would be nice to see more of Titus having to work to support Mikey (other than forcing himself to listen to him prattle on about dry wall). 

Now for my ridiculous observation - the total nitpicking nerd in me is bothered that in Kimmy's happy place the Reverend is drawn with brown eyes when Jon Hamm has blue eyes. They got everyone else's eye color right!

• Love 2

Kimmy's happy place starting out as some kind of Disney Animation paradise, and then turning incredibly dark and violent, was hilarious.  Glad they got Jon Hamm to voice the Reverend in that bit, and Lisa Kudrow was good as the Fairy Godmother.  I do wonder if this means she will actually be Kimmy's mother, or if they have someone else in mind, once we ever meet her.  I'm glad Kimmy got that breakthrough though, and I'm curious to see where this goes.  Enjoyed Tina Fey's portrayal of Andrea, if this is it for the character.

The stuff with Mikey's family was good.  I figured it was going to end up flipping the script and they would be accepting over him being gay, but I enjoyed the actors (the dad is one of those actors I've seen in a tone of gangster films and shows), the puppet grandmother was insane, and, of course, Titus made is all about himself and they found a way to let him do his dramatic speech.  I'm glad Mikey is supportive, but I hope Titus starts realizing that he should be supporting Mikey, and not just be all about him.

Kimmy's childhood crushes: Lance Bass, Ricky Martin, and Niles from Fraiser.  Oh, Kimmy!

Kimmy punching the standee and pulling out an apple was a great sight gag.

Lillian's continue battle with the neighborhood being gentrified, never gets old for me.

• Love 1

I hope for Mikey's sake that Titus eventually stops wanting to be the center of attention, or at least occasionally lets Mikey have his moment. I do like that Mikey is so patient with Titus.

I think this episode was a little different. Titus didn't make a scene at dinner. He let the family have their moment and then needed to deal with his own feelings and went outside and went for a walk. So Mikey had his moment. I think it's also different because Titus didn't need to be the center of attention. He missed his chance to having his "coming out" moment. (Which also makes me wonder if we'll see any of Ronald's relatives in the future. Vonda knows where he lives now.) I can't remember other times when Titus needing to be the center of attention was at Mikey's expense. Though I do think Mikey has a case of PBS (Perfect Boyfriend Syndrome). To me, it's not egregious though. They told us early on, he's a nice, sweet guy.

• Love 1

I didn't think anything could make me laugh as much as the Daddy's Boy song but Kimmie's Happy Place song is a close second. And I cracked up every time they showed the puppet grandma. OMG, so fuckin' hilarious.

• Love 1