Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E18: Backstabber

WendyCR72

Meh. Don't care about Haley's background or her long lost not dead partner. So Haley had walls and Castle and family tore down them down. Ugh, Hawley needs to stop recycling lines and plots. Beckett seems to have s3 hair that I do like. Noticed the 3XK motel made an appearance this time in daylight. Alexis is back to hanging around at the PI office apparently at all hours. Martha's scene was the highlight of the ep and Susan deserves much more screen time. The ending Caskett scene is really sweet but it seemed very random on this ep. This entire season has lowered my expectations that I doubt we'll ever get to see a Caskett motorcycle road trip stumble onto a murder type ep.

• Love 3

Meh. Don't care about Haley's background or her long lost not dead partner. So Haley had walls and Castle and family tore down them down. Ugh, Hawley needs to stop recycling lines and plots. Beckett seems to have s3 hair that I do like. Noticed the 3XK motel made an appearance this time in daylight. Alexis is back to hanging around at the PI office apparently at all hours. Martha's scene was the highlight of the ep and Susan deserves much more screen time. The ending Caskett scene is really sweet but it seemed very random on this ep. This entire season has lowered my expectations that I doubt we'll ever get to see a Caskett motorcycle road trip stumble onto a murder type ep.

Was Martha even in this? Oh yeah she was, forgot. Zoned in and out; Hayley has that affect on me - actually all of S8 does

I had issues streaming the ep so I must've started and stopped a few times. My attention kept wandering so that every time I had to stop to have it load some more, I wonder If I really wanted to finish the ep. So far we've had a handful of fun eps in a season full of blah and wtf Loksat nonsense. By watch this ep tonight, it's one less show to watch tomorrow.

Typical ep, the Ryans just had a baby again so of course no mention how they're doing or why Ryan isn't exhausted. Even Beckett's dream/Caskett interactions wasn't a full developed subplot either. Tone Death > Backstabber when it comes to Robert Bella eps.

Talk about desperate and obvious, fans have been calling to see Beckett on her Harley since I don't know when and so hey presto! They throw it in at the end I presume completely randomly to the story (I haven't watched didn't even know it was on tonight). That's typical of how these writers operate, sadly such shipper bones (or "fanfiction come to life" as I saw on one blog) don't engender anything close to excitement in me any more, it feels forced.

And why to they insist on Richard Castle being devoid of any coolness or sexiness? I hated when he put that stupid helmet on (seen gifs and they're the only ones doing the rounds on the Caskett tag on tumblr amongst the endelss spam (urgh!) none on Hayley lol), at least in the past they allowed him a veneer of smoothness to go with his humor but its clown Castle that predominates with these writers. Sigh

I don't give a crap about Hayley or her issues, I can't believe she has a huge fanbase out there but I have a horrible feeling she's going to be back next season wasting even more screen time and they're so lazy they can't even be bothered to discuss with Ryan the events of last week when Jenny was in trouble? Another glaring omission that makes these characters come over like pod people.

Glad I missed it.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Were Espo or Ryan in this ep??  Are they also being phased out lol  No mention of Ryan's baby??  That's just really poor writing no matter what angle you approach it from.

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 1

I take it the show airs Sunday in Canada now and not just a few hours earlier on Monday a la the US airing? (It's fine! We have the Unaired USA tag up; I'm just curious!)

It was on CTV this Sunday but I'm not sure if it's a regular thing or not? 

It will be interesting if this carries on for when the finale comes around heh. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Were Espo or Ryan in this ep??  Are they also being phased out lol  No mention of Ryan's baby??  That's just really poor writing no matter what angle you approach it from.

They had a few scenes. Maybe a tiny more screen time than Alexis. I rather had seen Beckett buy Ryan and Espo drinks scene that have Castle and Alexis console Haley in the PI office drinking whatever hard liquor in the glasses. The continue forced Haley/Alexis bond all season still has me thinking that Haley will be the person Castle moves on with after a Beckett death if there's a Beckettless s9. Haley seems to have more scenes with the Castles/Rogers than Beckett has all season.

Yeah it must've been a random Sunday airing on CTV.

• Love 1

I don't really care about Alexis bonding with Hayley - they can keep trying whatever imaginary thing they think floats the fandom boat!  Talk about desperate measures.... (most likely what you predict - god help us should a Beckettless S9 be made....snore) 

Having Alexis drink hard liquor with her father and a much older "friend" feels about as organic as I expect this show will be should they force a S9 sans Beckett.  Perhaps we should join her as we attempt to swallow that pretty big bitter pill their trying to feed us??  

• Love 4

They had a few scenes. Maybe a tiny more screen time than Alexis. I rather had seen Beckett buy Ryan and Espo drinks scene that have Castle and Alexis console Haley in the PI office drinking whatever hard liquor in the glasses. The continue forced Haley/Alexis bond all season still has me thinking that Haley will be the person Castle moves on with after a Beckett death if there's a Beckettless s9. Haley seems to have more scenes with the Castles/Rogers than Beckett has all season.

Yeah it must've been a random Sunday airing on CTV.

Actually, it's airing on Sunday again next week on CTV. 

The network has yet to put up its schedule for the month of May, so we'll see if Canadians get to watch early all the way to the finale. 

Edited by metaphor

Relationships between characters needs time to evolve and grow, these writers can't be bothered with all that, you can't magic up feelings and some 'bond' overnight and especially when it makes zero sense given the people involved they should naturally gravitate towards each other.

The harder showrunners try to force me to accept something bizarre like Hayley and Alexis as a great double act and best chums the more mulish I become about rejecting the idea at every turn.

metaphor Thanks for the info on the scheduling.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Aside from the obvious problems in making it happen (and that they are probably deliberately crafting it this way) how differently do you think that scene between Castle, Hayley and Alexis would be received if they included Beckett in it??

It is seems like such a simple fix but all season long they either haven't thought of it or alternatively (and probably more likely) can't make it happen! It's so frustrating.

• Love 4

I doubt we'll ever get to see a Caskett motorcycle road trip stumble onto a murder type ep.

Aw, I hope they do!

I really liked the actress who plays Hayley in The Neighbors, but I can see why all the hate for the character here--especially this episode.

Two things that bugged:

1. The dialog/acting/direction of Alexis convincing Haley not to run for her life. I mean, seriously? It doesn't matter if Alexis was "right" in the end, it was just unbelieveable in the beginning.

2. Hayley shooting her ex-partner in the chest at point blank range. This is a time when the shooter really could have winged him.

Thing I liked:

I bet NF has been waiting a long time to utter, "He went that-away!"

Okay, it was "that way," but I enjoyed it.

I don't mind Castle being a bit of a bumbler. He did go to PI school, but he's a writer first and foremost.

Aw, I hope they do!

1. The dialog/acting/direction of Alexis convincing Haley not to run for her life. I mean, seriously? It doesn't matter if Alexis was "right" in the end, it was just unbelieveable in the beginning.

Not with the current news of Stana gone next season. It make that last Caskett scene more sad that sweet now that there isn't gonna be a happy ending if ABC does renew. Plus the idea that Haley would give the Castles a key to her place was also huh?

• Love 4

Yawn.  If this is what next season is going to be like with no Beckett or Laine, I'm out.  No interest in the two amazing! Mary Sues, Hayley and Alexis.

My daughter called it on the dead guy who wasn't dead at the halfway mark. It was better done on Arrow last year.  Barf on Alexis telling Hayley she'll never be alone again.

• Love 1

So....I watched even after the news that broke today. Very boring episode. I really feel like Castle and Beckett being on screen together flips a switch in terms of how entertaining a scene is.

Toks seems like a good actress, but I just don't buy her character. First of all, when they introduced her she was an ex cop that was fired because she went rouge too much. When did they add in the MI6 backstory? Was it when they revealed she met Castle's dad? I also don't buy that she feels such a strong bond with Castle and Alexis that she's changed her whole life. They just haven't sold it as a story and the chemistry isn't there. I don't buy that Castle trusts her so much either, especially since we know she lied about knowing about his missing time. I could buy Alexis admiring her because she is young and looks up to her, but it still seems like a personality transplant to make Alexis a PI in training.

Alexis didn't seem so smug in her scenes tonight, she seemed pretty normal/sincere when asking Haley not to run. Overall she still annoyed me though.

So Captain Beckett has no problem letting Haley go when she knows the FBI has a warrant out on her? Or with letting the suspect handle the laptop that should be in evidence? Sure, why not.

I really liked the last scene, even if it was just the writers trying to fit in a Beckett on a motorcycle scene. I was kind of annoyed at Beckett being mad about a dream, but I liked them working it into her picking up his surprise. I expect someone to write a good fanfic about their roadtrip we will never see.

• Love 2

I don't watch Castle much at all anymore. It was on after DWTS so I decided to check and see how much worse it could have gotten this season  and it didn't disappoint at all. I did see one other episode a few weeks ago the one with the Amazon Alexa type device which wasn't as bad as tonight's episode. It was weird seeing Castle celebrating closing the case separate from Becket and the guys. With the news about Stana being out it made me think of McMillan & Wife with no more Sally and how that only lasted one more season after she was killed off.

It was bad enough last season after the first few episodes that I wanted to never watch again. I saw the season 7 finale and it seemed like nobody even cared writing wise that it was the last episode until season 8. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

It was weird seeing Castle celebrating closing the case separate from Becket and the guys. With the news about Stana being out it made me think of McMillan & Wife with no more Sally and how that only lasted one more season after she was killed off.

It's not weird at all, not this season, having Castle and Beckett doing things separately whenever possible has been the way of it and with this latest news it's clearly all been prep work for a possible S9 of Castle PI without Beckett. 

I watched a montage of the Hayley and Alexis "bonding" scenes and almost barfed, I don't find Toks convincing in any of her scenes when she's getting emotional, she's better at snarking. I didn't think she was that hot in the LA episode in the clip when she's in the hotel room at the end either. It's unfathomable to me why on earth she's gone all soft on Alexis and why Castle and his daughter are so enamoured with her....oh wait may be it's not that strange when you consider what might be coming next season. Castle PI with Hayley as sidekick and replacement for Beckett lol. 

Kate getting angry at Castle over a dream was dumb at the start, then of course she won't tell him and gets interrupted (yawn) by the phone, can't they think of anything interesting for these two to talk about? Can they never finish a conversation properly? May be it's a good thing she's going if this is the best they have for these two actors to be doing interaction wise. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

How much Alexis and Hayley femslash fanfic is there out there? I'm scared to look.

Not objecting as such, but for a rather old-fashioned show, that "you;ll never be alone' embrace was pretty lesyay.

One point I can't accept-- why the hell was Hayley (possible suspect!) playing with the laptop(evidence!) at Castle's office? It should have been at the precinct or in the hands of the CIA/FBI/MI6. Huge hole.

• Love 1

It's not weird at all, not this season, having Castle and Beckett doing things separately whenever possible has been the way of it and with this latest news it's clearly all been prep work for a possible S9 of Castle PI without Beckett. 

I should have said it was weird for me. Sorry.

I too watched despite today's news. I think I may need help. ;) Or I can't let go just yet. I should've been well prepped by the events of S8 but sap that I am, I wanted(and still want) the happy end for the show. I am not at all sure why I am bothering to write this given what has occurred.

Hearing Hayley refer to her walls in the final confrontation with the killer scene was a bit much. After today's news it isn't a secret that she's being prepped as the Beckett replacement. That seems rather silly to give some version of Beckett's walls to Hayley. I suppose it is an important tv trope (and Castle writers do love lifting straight from a long and predictable list of cliches and tropes), the tough, female character with a troubled past and thus, her darn walls. While I am firmly anti-Hayley, would it kill tv writers in general not to have all tough, female characters be haunted by their wretched pasts? There have to be other reasons that are compelling enough for people to become tv cops besides horrible tragedy.

Bizarre hearing the forced closeness between Hayley, Alexis and Castle. Gag worthy. Castle had to go through so many hoops to get in with the police in early episodes and yet amazingly Hayley has been completely accepted (actually not amazing, the plot requires it, so screw the reality of the universe that Castle exists in).

I usually don't get too bugged by police procedure issues but that has been hugely distracting this season. Beckett would not just let Hayley go despite how "close" she has become with her husband and step-daughter. Hayley would not be out on stings while in hiding. And on and on. If you're going to foul everything else up so spectacularly, maybe at least try to do the police procedure somewhat correctly.

It was also quite boring to me. Castle writers do not write spy comedy/drama well. It is cheesy and predictable, no cleverness or twists that you'd expect from spy stories. There wasn't anything special or unique about it and certainly nothing that made it feel like Castle. If this and the GDS episode are the future, put the show and the fans out of their misery now!

Finally, the totally tacked on motorcycle scene. I really liked it with some reservations. Maybe today has got me feeling extra sappy. It was fun to see her with a motorcycle at long last and sweet of him to do that for her. I would've loved a cross country trip for them. It could have made a great out of the precinct episode, like Murder He Wrote. Ticks me off that they throw that out there given what's to come and in light of today's events. Also, agree with those who point out how superficial this was. More of the same for S8, throwing out what they think are feel good moments to try to cover their awful characterization and plotlines.

Edited by GoGiants
  • Love 2

Another irritation, the way they have Beckett acting as Captain (or should I say not acting like one) and allowing things to happen in the precinct that take me completely out of what I'm watching they're so unbelievable.  

The boys bring a guy in for questioning but don't get any where so he is released. Hayley who is not a member of the NYPD and who has a murky past to say the least but bizarrely is allowed to hang around the precinct and come and go at will. She accosts the guy as he's leaving, promptly assaults him in the toilet and then when she's discovered by the Captain nothing is done about it and Beckett after a second of mild annoyance in front of Castle, dismisses it and lets the guy give a fresh statement, yeah that's really plausible and wouldn't be a problem when it came to making any solid prosecution. SIGH 

Captain Beckett has been a joke this season, another thing that hasn't worked on a long list. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 5

I too watched despite today's news. I think I may need help. ;) Or I can't let go just yet. I should've been well prepped by the events of S8 but sap that I am, I wanted(and still want) the happy end for the show. I am not at all sure why I am bothering to write this given what has occurred.

Hearing Hayley refer to her walls in the final confrontation with the killer scene was a bit much. After today's news it isn't a secret that she's being prepped as the Beckett replacement.

As bad as this episode's script was, I actually have hope if Toks is the replacement. She has (not seen on this show) great comedic timing that NF could play off of--if they take the show in a slightly more comedic direction, which might save it.
  • Love 1

So much of this new iteration of Castle simply makes no sense.

Castle and Alexis have this passionate attachment to Hayley and won't even consider that she could be shady (and even Beckett goes along for the ride)? Just why? Because she said so? There has been no "showing" and inadequate "telling" to justify.

Whenever they veer into "save the world" territory they lose me. I could accept it possibly if they had the whole cast bitten by various radioactive insects and assign them their superpowers, but otherwise, my mental appreciation button just goes into the "off" position, leading to indifference.

• Love 5

Beckett telling the boys about her dream and not telling Castle, while they are on her side, is quite professional.

I wasn't sure whether Beckett had told the boys about the dream, or whether they just picked up on what Castle said in order to tease him.

Martha's book reminded me of when Isaac Asimov's mother (born in Russia, living in US) took a writing class to improve her written English.  One day after class the instructor asked if she was related to Isaac Asimov.  She said she was his mother.  The instructor said "No wonder you write so well."  Mrs. Asimov drew herself up to her full 4'10" and replied, "Excuse me. No wonder *HE* writes so well!"

• Love 4

Wow, that was horrible. ABC shouldn't  bother to renew the show if it's going to be this craptastic next year.  I might have tuned in for Castle P.I in LA with an all new cast, but this Haley girl has got to go!  

Nathan can definitely carry a new show, no doubt, but he needs all new folks, except for Martha and the boys.  I have 90 episodes of Castle from seasons 1-5 saved on my DVR, I am gong to rewatch those and go to my happy place, thank god TNT has the reruns.  

Based on this thread (and the grudge I'm currently nursing against the show), I think I'll skip this episode. I don't think I skipped any Seasons 1-7 and yet this is the third I've skipped this season (or couldn't finish because it was just too boring).

What a perfect title for last night’s show (which I hated, BTW), because ABC has just stabbed Castle fans in the back with their refusal to re-up Stana Katic’s and Tamala Jones’ contracts for season 9 to make a different version of the show. Stana did not deserve this.

I see Melanie may be calling it a day after this, she's obviously very upset.

Before I begin with my portion of the review I feel that I should address the recent news regarding the non-return of Stana Katic and Tamala Parish in season 9, if there is a season 9, that is. If the show is renewed, and I think it will be, I believe we could ultimately see the “Castle, Alexis, and Hayley PI Show” in the slot next year. (Alexis told Hayley just last night that she’ll never have to face anything alone again).

I had to laugh at this comment from Lee, especially the bit about Hayley and Alexis. It infuriates me that Alexis and Beckett were never allowed to form a proper relationship and were kept almost constantly at arms length, barely allowed to communicate aside from the odd hi and goodbye, yet here we have Alexis and Hayley hugging and supporting each other like their lives depended upon it. 

Hayley, a person with a shady past who’s been known to lie and do “things,” roughed up a suspect/witness in the precinct bathroom, an act that caused the guy to spill some beans. In other words, she, who’s sort of an agent of the police (which is totally unbelievable, by the way), tortured a man until he told her what she wanted to hear. And then the police used that information to help their case. Illegal and immoral. Cops aren’t allowed to do that to people. And they certainly can’t condone the tactic when used by people who’re acting as their agent(s).

And thank you Lee for pointing out this out, it disgusts me that Hayley did this and it was treated so casually because it is torture no matter how short the duration and that Beckett of all people let it go. I don't care to see the police - or any one in a position of authority - abusing their power in such a way, it bothers me. 

And, Beckett and crew offered to help conceal her whereabouts instead of arresting her. That, my friends is obstruction of justice which is punishable by several years in federal prison.

Another black mark in the Captain's book, she's condoning assault on her watch and hiding possible murder suspects like it's no big deal. Where has the old Beckett gone? 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 4

And thank you Lee for pointing out this out, it disgusts me that Hayley did this and it was treated so casually because it is torture no matter how short the duration and that Beckett of all people let it go. I don't care to see the police - or any one in a position of authority - abusing their power in such a way, it bothers me.  

That was what I disliked most about this episode, it was just completely trashing Beckett's character. It sounded like she was going to start yelling at Hayley for attacking the witness, but then she just let it go because they got a decent lead. In the real world that would totally be inadmissible in court. And letting Hayley go wasn't just a small, pretend you don't see someone, she told her to go and hide from the Feds. WTF? I usually don't mind a lack of realism, but this was just too much. It makes Beckett not only look terrible, but makes it unrealistic she would still have her job. There should have been some fallout.

If they really wanted and/or were forced to make Beckett a captain they could at least put some effort into doing it well.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 4

Among other problems, Hayley, when half the world was out to get her, stood outdoors at the motel.  My tomato seedlings are less than two weeks old but they were saying, "Hayley, go inside, out of sight!"  But I was saying, "Nah, stay out there where they can see you."  I like Toks, but the Hayley character has a big "Mary Sue" on her forehead.

• Love 2

Monday night I watched this episode and thought "Meh", a reaction that I had all too often during this season. Afterwards, I came here and read the news about Stana (and Tamala) not returning.

Yesterday, on the reruns on TNT (?) i watched "Knockdown" from Season 3.

It was sad to see how that great show (S3) has been eviscerated.

• Love 2

Well, new week, new episode, and again no LokShat. :D  I have decided to come up with a new name for it every week. It maintains my interest, such as it is.

Randomly:

Annoying character bumped off early. I liked that. Martha moment. Liked that too. I wish there would be another episode like the bank hostage one where Martha could be more of a key player.

I know some are very protective of Castle, but I really enjoy silly, buffoonish, and childlike Castle. I enjoyed Ryspo setting him straight about who solves murders and Hayley outing him about all the bragging he was doing on the way over to the crime scene.

I also enjoyed Hayley getting one over on Alexis when she came in unexpectedly. And then again once Alexis went to get another laptop.

Unless they were in Castle's panic room, why would Agent Mallory reveal "highly classified" information: to Castle and Beckett anywhere other than in a police facility?

Poor Hayley. I thought this was a pretty good episode, although I thought at first it was going to tie into Beckett's secret LokShat mission. Glad that it didn't.

I am superbummed that Stana is leaving. As much as I have come to like Hayley, I hope that if season 9 goes forward that she does not hook up with Castle. I like them better as buddies. 

• Love 2

A friend of mine said "whoa, looks like they replaced Beckett with that other actress (Toks)".  She shrugged and said she watched.  The world generally doesn't worry that much about changes like that.  The TV hobbyists (us) are really just a blip to the networks.  I think Castle will likely live on in all it's 1.0 rating glory for awhile.

I think Twitter is the worst thing an actor can do for themselves.  If they're liked, then it's great. If they leave a foul taste (typical), it affects their career (at least for some fans).  I haven't watched this episode either, and I suspect I won't because Toks left such a negative mark on me.  Calling people who were respectfully critical of the early-season stupidity  "haters"  and things like that was pretty out of hand. (Yes, there were some who were legitimately trolls, but she was not making that distinction. And the arc was widely panned, so criticism was legit.)  And if Toks is Nathan's co-lead next season, then it's a show that won't be interesting for me, although I think the general population will think she's fine.  I suspect she won't be co-lead.  They need someone with more of a "lead singer persona" to be successful, someone who doesn't fade back with the band as Toks seems to do.  That person will probably clash with Nathan too. 

Anyway, so it's interesting to see reactions, so I'm reading them.

I also dragged my feet on the Beckett-centric episode a couple weeks ago. I think what's most lacking about this show these days is story lines that bring viewers in.  I will admit that I'm a tough audience.  (I hardly watch any TV).  Thus, shows really have to stand out.  Castle was preparing to become just another show for me.  And that was with or without Stana.  A shakeup is really needed.  Hopefully it will involve getting rid of Toks.

• Love 1

I was a great Caskett shipper, but they've made the show unwatchable with the separating of Castle and Beckett. I'd be willing to try a Castle PI show with Haley on the premise that he can return to being a sophisticated writer with a roguish side. I really, really enjoy Nathan playing that role. I would also prefer Castle and Haley remain buddies. 

Frankly, I have trouble believing Stana was fired. I think both sides negotiated and it didn't work. I wish her well. 

• Love 2

This was a terrible episode. I've been debating leaving for awhile now. Inching closer.

Based on the current trajectory of Caskett happily back together, to me the only logical way to write off Beckett is to kill her. They've done "UST", "MIA, "long distance" and "broken up" separations so far. Are there any other ideas left in the box? The way they're writing her now just can't see them having her leave again, unless they go back to the I MUST LEAVE TO SAVE YOU well. It would be stupid, but I really should know better than to give them the benefit of the doubt on that. And it would avoid Castle in mourning.

When they mentioned the trip, I thought immediately it could be the story device to write her off. Something happens to her, she discovers something. But if Castle goes with her, that seems less likely.

Edited by snarktini

Is the Big Bad behind the London Blackout going to turn out to be LokSat? I mean, he's already ridiculously powerful and taking away people who might help Kate and/or Rick would be a good idea. Also, I'm sure they mentioned they could knock out the power at 10 Downing Street, so international espionage might be involved. But that whole plotline got rather went nowhere.

Why didn't Kate hold Hayley for questioning? So long as she wasn't formally charged (which is ridiculous, for any number of reasons), she wouldn't be entered into the system (I think). Yes, there is no doubt paperwork that needs to be filed for any police interview, but that's the sort of thing that it would be easy for the Cpatain to drag her heels over filing (particularly when the person who might object is not going to want to make a fuss that might get noticed). And why does Kate care anyway? I can buy that maybe Rick and Alexis care about Hayley, but Kate?

I don't believe any MI6 agent would identify themselves as such (certainly not to a civilian).

Last and least, I would have thought having sex with somebody in a motorcycle helmset would be rather uncomfortable (but what do I know?).

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:08 AM, verdana said:

Hayley who is not a member of the NYPD and who has a murky past to say the least but bizarrely is allowed to hang around the precinct and come and go at will. She accosts the guy as he's leaving, promptly assaults him in the toilet and then when she's discovered by the Captain nothing is done about it

But don't you know, torture is fine if it's our guys doing it (whose motives are always pure, always have the right guy and always get the truth). TV tells us that all the time!

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, Driad said:

Martha's book reminded me of when Isaac Asimov's mother (born in Russia, living in US) took a writing class to improve her written English

I did love that moment when Martha told the boys she was trying out a new signature and Castle comes in and instantly realises what to say to flatter his mother (I don't believe he saw any difference either).