Type keyword(s) to search

This Old House - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:46 PM, Sharpie66 said:

I am enjoying seeing the kit house go up this season. I do get a kick out of the contractor's dog managing to get in just about every shot when his owner is on screen.

I have not noticed the dog (my fault!), but I also am enjoying seeing them create a house with an older feel from a kit house.  I thought this would be an uninteresting project, but it's fascinating, as always. 

I can't believe that the final ep for this house is already going to be next week. That was a short build! 

When they were showing the plumbing system and the well pump, I was thinking, "What happens when the power goes?" and immediately after they showed the automatic generator. Nice reading of my mind! Also, the cupola is gorgeous. 

• Love 1

I was stunned at the actual time which went by between eps.  No way would that build have taken all Summer and into the Winter - IF it were being paid in full by the owners.  An enormous reason for the pre-fab is to get the general contractor off the site in record time.  Time is money, right?!  Well, the house was raised in about two weeks.  Then?  Who the hell knows, but we didn't get to landscaping until November?  Baloney.  

The reveal was a farce.  "The owners are insistent that they get to move in now."  Really?  It sure looked like they had been in weeks before.  Unless that all was staged?  Riiiiight.  

I can't stand how much they fawn over the designers.  What on earth were those fixtures over the kitchen island???  It looked like something out of Buck Rodgers.  Oval/Oblong egg beater lights?  How did they fit with the agri-early industrial theme?  Steam convection instead of a microwave?  Too cute by half.

The ATOH was really weak.  A doorbell?  Name the piping?  They phoned that one in.  Big time.  The hero house?  Great stuff, but did they not already do a build like that on TOH?     

• Love 1

I liked the first few seasons of "This Old House" when they worked on houses I might be able to afford to live in, and we could watch them teach the homeowners to help with the work.  Now most of the projects seem to be enlarging houses that are already too big, for owners who have too much money and don't help with the work.  I still enjoy "Ask This Old House" though.

• Love 5

I also was very confused about the timeline for the kit house -- they did the landscaping while the earth could still be dug, but did not do the reveal until mid-Winter, when everything was frozen?  I thought they always did landscaping last, because of all the trudging around the outside during the build.  But the landscaping must have been done months before the reveal.  I did like the ways they found old granite for the walkway and stairs.  But that final episode felt even more forced than usual, with the many contributors robotically saying their written lines.  I did think the exterior and the cupola were lovely. 

And,,,, now they are rerunning the recent Victorian remodel they aired earlier this year. 

• Love 1

An acquaintance hired Connor Homes, which did the North Shore kit house, to do his house in northern New England. He found out earlier this month that the company is shutting down and the entire workforce has been furloughed. They're trying to honor existing contracts and get all the materials out to the clients. Fortunately, my acquaintance's house was far enough along where this will have minimal impact on finishing the project.

I hated the Arts and Crafts project, which just finished up.  That new front porch was bizarre with those weird flared-out bases.  I didn't like all the natural white oak in the house.  It looks too undone for me, and doesn't go with the house.  I will say I liked the panel-front refrigerator and freezer, and the fact that they had a refrigerator drawer for some beverages.

• Love 1

That new front porch was hideous, I thought. I didn't like any of the finished rooms very much, either. This always seems to happen - I can't remember the last time I liked a finished project. I watched this episode on fast-forward so that I could see the end results without having to hear the homeowners pontificate. (I almost never like the homeowners, either - so why have I watched this show for over 30 years?)

Thirded on the front porch, except that I liked everything except the flared columns. The homeowners do not have a lot of say in some things that happen on the show, since sponsors and other people involved with the show make a lot of the decisions. It was probably done to highlight the flexible sheathing, so whoever makes that stuff ponied up the materials as long as they put lots of curves in using it, and it got its own highlight segment. If it was me, I'd say sure, put them in - and then right away after the show packs up and leaves, I'd be having someone rip them out and redo them.

About the homeowner - did anyone else get the impression that she was constantly auditioning in hopes of getting some role on TV somewhere? It was just the way she phrased things and how she posed herself when on camera. Maybe she knows how Kevin got on the show and thought that maybe this was a stepping stone to another career. It even makes me wonder about whether the whole "surprise" change in how to handle the woodwork was planned by her all along because her mannerisms were so odd every time they discussed the woodwork.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, o-gal said:

About the homeowner - did anyone else get the impression that she was constantly auditioning in hopes of getting some role on TV somewhere? It was just the way she phrased things and how she posed herself when on camera. Maybe she knows how Kevin got on the show and thought that maybe this was a stepping stone to another career. It even makes me wonder about whether the whole "surprise" change in how to handle the woodwork was planned by her all along because her mannerisms were so odd every time they discussed the woodwork.

She definitely seemed like she thought TV was her thing. If so, she needs to learn some proper grammar. Every time she said something "turned out beautiful", I flinched. No sweetie - either it IS beautiful, or it turned out beautifully.

The new project starting this week looks interesting: "A new series begins in Detroit, Michigan. Kevin meets homeowners who plan to renovate a formerly abandoned home themselves."

I am so excited about this project in Detroit. I've been fascinated by Detroit for years and loved the show "Detroit 187", which unfortunately lasted for just 1 season.

The abandoned houses are unbelievable.  Looks like bombs went through.

This is what This Old House SHOULD do ... restore old homes, not just add on fancy additions and such.  It's awesome that the homeowners are going to be doing a lot of the work as well.

• Love 4

Great 2nd episode.  Spoke with the mayor of Detroit and a person who is in charge of a program where they take abandoned houses in neighborhoods that are still pretty nice, and they fix up the abandoned house so that the neighborhood doesn't completely decline. The house they showed had none of the charm or grandeur of other homes I've seen in shows about Detroit, but I'm sure it will be nice in the end. 

I'm wondering if any of these programs also include teaching young people the trades.  That would be a big win-win!

• Love 2
On 4/7/2017 at 0:34 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I'm wondering if any of these programs also include teaching young people the trades.  That would be a big win-win!

This Old House actually has a program called Generation Next, where they are doing exactly that.

Norm Abrams is involved, and Tom Silva has mentioned it several times.  Looks like people are getting the word.

"Five million jobs, that don't require a college degree, but do require TRAINING.  The kinds of jobs that make civilized life possible for you and me.  Jobs like [looks at Norm Abrams] he has been doing all his life."

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 2

After a mere 39 years on the air, TOH has finally made it down to historic Charleston, SC!  If my parents were still alive, they would be on the street in front of these houses each day, watching for their favorite TOH "stars". haha  Its such a fun show, and I love seeing the guys work in the town I grew up in.

• Love 2

I am particularly enjoying the Charleston episodes too: the history, the houses, and the work the some of us may need to do.  Much better than their usual "how to make a big expensive house bigger and more expensive."

• Love 1
On 4/24/2018 at 4:29 PM, Driad said:

I am particularly enjoying the Charleston episodes too: the history, the houses, and the work the some of us may need to do.  Much better than their usual "how to make a big expensive house bigger and more expensive."

I also like how they acknowledge the differences between working in a northern vs. southern climate. I'm looking forward to seeing how both homes turn out (especially the woman who's home was inherited from her Grandmother).

• Love 1

So sad that one of the interns (Generation Next) passed away.

I'm sorry ... I love history and old houses, but the 2nd house that was unoccupied for years (and practically falling down) should just be taken down and then rebuilt, but in a historical style.

Love the city, but absolutely could not take the heat and humidity. 

• Love 1
On 4/24/2018 at 12:32 PM, Gregg247 said:

If my parents were still alive, they would be on the street in front of these houses each day, watching for their favorite TOH "stars".

There was an episode where one of the guys helped install a water heater.  The homeowner asked him to autograph the water heater for him, and it was funny to see the plumber taken aback and shy about it.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:00 PM, 7-Zark-7 said:

Looks like Roger Cook is having health issues that is impacting his ability to work.

Of all the houses they've done, my favorite moment of all time happened away from any of the homes.

Roger told about how he used to mow the lawns at Harvard, and then his son went to college there.

Very humbling to think about that.

• Love 1

Did the arts and craft yuppies admit to having domestic staff? They had a butler’s pantry with an oven, and a carpet runner in the “real” kitchen. Didn’t really mind the exterior, excluding the flared porch. I did mind the neighbour’s exteriors. They all seemed to tower around the house. 

Once Norm Abram did an interview in which they asked how his acting had changed over the years.  He said he thought it had improved: from wooden to sanded wooden.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 8/2/2018 at 7:01 PM, Driad said:

Once Norm Abram did an interview in which they asked how his acting had changed over the years.  He said he thought it had improved: from wooden to sanded wooden.

And this is exactly what I like about This Old House.  It shows the guys doing what they always do, but with a camera in the room.

Unlike today's "reality shows", where there is made up drama to spice things up.

• Love 3

This week (the second episode of the Brookline, Mass., 1950s house) they revisited the first This Old House from 40 years ago.  They toured the house, talked about what they had done to it, and showed (too few) clips of the early episodes.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:25 PM, Driad said:

This week (the second episode of the Brookline, Mass., 1950s house) they revisited the first This Old House from 40 years ago.  They toured the house, talked about what they had done to it, and showed (too few) clips of the early episodes.

I wish they had shown more of the kitchen that they had done in the 70s because good lord it was ugly with the orange laminate countertops!

• Love 1

New season started this weekend on my local PBS station - expanding a ranch in RI

For some reason they dropped Ask This Old house which used to follow.

The listing said the show was from 1998.🙄

Season 41 of TOH Puts Charm Back in a Tired Ranch, Rebuilds After California Fire and Reclaims History by the Sea

For a growing family that needs more space, the solution is to move up, not out. Tommy, Richard, Jeff, Norm, Kevin and the This Old House experts help a family in Westerly, RI achieve its American dream by transforming its cramped ranch house into a spacious Dutch colonial.

The show then heads to Paradise, California, the site of the most damaging and deadly wildfire in American history, to work with several families to rebuild their homes and their lives in the aftermath of this disaster.

Finally, in Manchester, MA, the team transforms an 1891 shingle style house into a 21st century modern home. As only they can, our expert contractors restore the original details and add many modern conveniences, including a new kitchen, mudroom, and master suite.

Check your local listings by entering your zip code into the TV Finder below.

Edited by sheetmoss

Looking online, it appears Ask This Old House is still in production. They say they are airing Season 18, Ep 1 on Oct 5 2019, with other episodes airing the next 2 weeks, Oct 12 and 19.

Probably depends on your PBS station.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I'd love to find out how much they're spending on the new Manchester by the sea project.

Me too!   They paid over a million for it.  I guess the cost would depend on the area, so in my area, Microsoftland, Washington, I am going to say over a million maybe more.....

I just saw the wrap-up show for that RI house. Man, I think my house is, you know, kind of affluent-ish. But NOTHING like that house. That was over the top, with the fancy kitchen, butler's kitchen, Venetian ceiling in the dining room, yada yada. I really feel like they strayed from their roots on this one. This is a true 1% (or maybe 0.25%) owner.

• Love 2

Would love to know how much this remodel cost the owners.  That was a tremendous job, especially the underpinings of the home.  I was disappointed in the nuevo riche decor, but, they did save a old lady from decay.  :)

Not quite Halloween, but I figured I'd raise this dead thread anyway ...

Does anyone know if any station carries the early episodes? I watched the show for years before it turned ridiculous. "Let's add a 12,000 square foot addition to this modest ranch house. Who cares if it matches the neighborhood? Who cares if the home owners will go bankrupt with all the 'free' donations they have to pay taxes on? What do you mean would should have told them about that?"

• Love 3

Have you tried pbs.org? Or YouTube? Sometimes old episodes of various things can be found that way.

I only watch the "Ask" episodes. The renovations strike me as absurd, but sometimes I enjoy seeing them fix things and talk about tools and that kind of stuff.

• Love 1
On 9/25/2022 at 6:55 PM, possibilities said:

Have you tried pbs.org? Or YouTube? Sometimes old episodes of various things can be found that way.

I only watch the "Ask" episodes. The renovations strike me as absurd, but sometimes I enjoy seeing them fix things and talk about tools and that kind of stuff.

I've tried all the typical places and a few not-so-typical. I can find the newer stuff, no problem. Nothing with Bob or the second host - name escapes me at the minute...Steve? - just stuff done since basically this millennium.  I wonder if there are licensing issues, or if PBS doesn't want to remind people how much they changed the show.

I just popped in on this; I assume it's current (S44:E1): an old decrepit house in Atlanta. Definitely not an old house that is getting tripled in size with subzero kitchen and what not. More to the original idea. I had to laugh when the homeowner said she wanted a covered space outdoors, and the (New Englander) landscape guru said "right, so you can get out of the rain and snow." Lady, your Boston is showing. I don't think snow is much of a problem in Atlanta :) 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2