Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, jsbt said:

I know this is OT, but we've discussed the Y&R transformation before in here and this is the kind of change and candor I dream of seeing at GH (or any soap).

I've never been a regular watcher of Y&R (though, awww, it was my grandmother's "story"), but this was a fantastic interview.  I particularly loooved her shading the Erica Kane un-abortion story on AMC.

Very sad about Claire Labine.  How did I never know that she came up with an idea for a Ned/Lois spin-off that was passed over in favor of "Port Charles"!

• Love 4

She sure did. It was called Heart and Soul and IIRC they planned to film and locate it in NYC, just like Ryan's Hope. I know Helen Gallagher (the matriarch of RH) was intended to play a role, but I don't know if it was her RH character Maeve or as a member of Lois' family. It got very close to being made, then Wendy Riche swooped in and proposed the cheaper, West Coast-filmed PC. Labine then was left to end her ABC contract at OLTL.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

I've always wanted a writer who was straight up in interviews in terms of storylines and characters, even if I didn't agree. I WANT to know what they like or don't like...or what they believe works or doesn't work. I always hated the shady "You have to watch and see" or "Never say never" people.

• Love 6

SSM can get away with it, in part because I believe she's been at Y&R since the beginning or very close to it. She and Kay Alden (her creative consultant/possible co-head) were trained and groomed by Bill Bell to replace him at the show for years and years. Either Sony, CBS or both were never comfortable with the Bell family's consolidated control and worked to marginalize and push them and their loyalists out. Hence that show's last decade.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, jsbt said:

She sure did. It was called Heart and Soul and IIRC they planned to film and locate it in NYC, just like Ryan's Hope. I know Helen Gallagher (the matriarch of RH) was intended to play a role, but I don't know if it was her RH character Maeve or as a member of Lois' family. It got very close to being made, then Wendy Riche swooped in and proposed the cheaper, West Coast-filmed PC. Labine then was left to end her ABC contract at OLTL.

Oooh, I am conflicted.  Because "Port Charles" did give me a lot of Kevin/Lucy/Scotty goodness.  

But a soap where the central characters are Quartermaines?!?! *gets the vapors*

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Right, that fool. I literally had to go to IMDb to find out which character he played, because his face was vaguely familiar, but other than that I had no idea, despite Rafe being on the show for, what, two years? That makes one of us pathetic and I choose to believe it's him.

More like one. He was on non stop his first month, and then after that summer he completely disappeared, and then the next summer he reappeared with cubic zirconia earrings and a crack addition.

1 hour ago, LegalParrot81 said:

Aw man. :(

• Love 4

Sad to hear about Claire Labine.

33 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Still holding the torch for Karen Harris and, impossibly, Michele ValJean (she's well-installed at B&B, they'd have to pay her billions)

Is Patrick Mulcahey still over there as well?

RIP Claire Labine. I don't watch the show anymore, but I was a huge fan in the 90s, especially the years when she worked on the show. My own "golden era" of the show is probably from 1992 to 1998, and she was a big part of that from 1992 to 1996.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

My own "golden era" of the show is probably from 1992 to 1998, and she was a big part of that from 1992 to 1996.

Mine too. I'm STILL watching scenes and episodes from that time. It never gets old. Just overall amazing stuff, writing/story/acting-wise.

• Love 5

The Sally Sussman interview was amazing.  I wish ABC would bring on someone like her to reboot GH.  Once upon a time I couldn't wait to get home from school to watch this soap.  I'd love to be excited to watch it again, or even to be able to stomach watching it again.  As long as FV is EP with his choppy-chop-chop editing and characters like Sonny, Franco and Nina are pushed by terrible writers to get all the screen time, it will remain awful. 

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 5

Carly gently points out that Jax is there to support his daughter, who was also Morgan’s brother. She does not also smack the sanctimony off Kristina’s face, but apparently Carly is in a better mood than I am right now.

Another reason I'm glad not to be watching: Seeing Carly, of all people, behave with more maturity and self-restraint than I would in her situation would make me...uncomfortable.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Sonny doesn't know she took it, right? I totally FFed the Nelle/Sonny scenes.

I thought Sonny gave the letter to Nelle to give to Carly after the service.  But my eyes glazed over from boredom as well so...

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Molly's hair was the best part of the episode.  Well, and Jax and Curtis being hot eye candy.  I guess there's the hilarity of a giant box filled with Morgan's favorite things existing in the world.  I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but I laughed for a minute straight when I heard Carly say something about his college acceptance letter.  Dude, he went to Port Charles University, not Harvard.  

21 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Is Denise's wig in there?

I'm sure it is, unless Ava burned it.  But I like to think that Morgan kept it and sniffed it every so often.  Sounds creepy, but they were actually in love- unlike him and Kiki, the girl who dumped him for his brother. 

22 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I think she was probably talking about Vanderbilt

I keep forgetting that he went to an actual university and got in.   But to be fair, he did spend a great deal of his time there online gambling and being the Captain to Lauren's Kiki.  Probably didn't get a lot of class time in.   If I had to guess the contents of Morgan's box, it'd be his real diary (which no one bothered to read), his copy of Childcare for Dummies that he read while Ava was pregnant, a book of matches, a copy of Catcher and the Rye, a picture of him and Michael as kids, a baseball, a Yankees hat, and a stuffed penguin because I think Morgan liked penguins and Michael liked giraffes or Africa or something.   It just seems like stuff he'd have in there.  Maybe a leather cuff bracelet. 

• Love 2

Whether he meant to or not, Jamey Giddens sums up the problem in this sentence:

In order to finally make Franco understand the horrifying pain he caused Sam, head writers Jean Passanante and Shelly Altman decided to revisit the teenage rape of Liz Webber.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3

"Look it's very tricky," Passanante offers. "It's very hard to talk about stories that happened 18 years before we were involved in the show, or even two years before we were involved in the show. But it's important to try to deal with the reality of the characters as much as possible within certain guidelines that we have for ourselves, to help the story move forward [while also] making it romantic and making it entertaining."

No, it's not very tricky. Go read the scripts and/or look at the tapes. Talk to Rebecca Herbst, who was IN THE ORIGINAL STORY AND IS STILL ON THE SHOW. I'm consistently amazed at how lazy these writers are.

Giddens isn't much help, either, calling Liz and Franco "a Beauty and the Beast story." No. No, no, no.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 14

This is all about keeping Roger Howarth on this show and has shit to with Rebecca Herbst, a twenty year vet that FV tried to lowball and get rid of earlier this year.  

Carly, Sam, Michael, Jason, Lulu and Maxie should have all taken Franco out at the Haunted Star!

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I don't think FV wanted to get rid of her. I really wish she had walked, though.

Remember I told you that the delusional side of my brain wanted Robin back? Well, my delusional side just slapped me across the damn face. So glad she's gone.

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Weirdly, I do think this is Frank and co. thinking they're doing right by her.  "Roger Howarth's your on-screen love interest, Rebecca Budig's your character's sister, what more could you want!".

I agree. I really think they believe they're doing her a huge solid by pairing her with RoHo. They're very obtuse about a lot of things.

• Love 4

I don't think so. I think they know Franco is very unpopular (except with die-hard RoHo fans), that he and Nina, as a couple, couldn't be fit into most stories because their characters are not particularly popular with PC residents or GH fans. And because they can't realistically interact with most of the other characters, they lift right out - which is unacceptable to FV. Liz/BH fans are also die-hards (which FV learned during her contact negotiation), Liz has deep connections to the canvas, and most of her friends and family are gone. She's a perfect - I can't think of a word other than victim. 

This is probably the first Franco pairing that's gotten even decent support and it gives Franco acess to the rest of the canvas. That's why they're investing so heavily in this assbackwards rape story.

They might think they're doing a favor for BH by pairing her with RoHo, but they know they're using her to try to make SERIAL KILLER fetch happen.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

They might think they're doing a favor for BH by pairing her with RoHo, but they know they're using her to make SERIAL KILLER fetch happen.

IMO it's both. FV thinks RoHo is a gift to BH, but yes at the same time he's using her diehard, will-support-everything-Liz-does fans to try to make Franco happen.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 9

So they really killed off Morgan, eh?  Doesn't really entice me to watch again, but it's interesting they finally realized neither Sabrina nor Morgan worked as characters.  Kinda harsh to dump both deaths on old Mikey so close together ...

I'm sure this was all done so we could watch Sonny and Carly rend their garments, of course.  

And yet Franco lives ... still.  Stupid, stupid, asinine show.  

They should never try to tackle rape stories on this show ever again.  Ever.  Even if it's mentioning an old one.  Just stop.  Everything you do is offensive, Show!  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

So they really killed off Morgan, eh?  Doesn't really entice me to watch again, but it's interesting they finally realized neither Sabrina nor Morgan worked as characters.  Kinda harsh to dump both deaths on old Mikey so close together ...

I'm sure this was all done so we could watch Sonny and Carly rend their garments, of course.  

And yet Franco lives ... still.  Stupid, stupid, asinine show.

I wish they'd realize Kristina and Franco don't work as characters either and get rid of them next

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I don't think so. I think they know Franco is very unpopular (except with die-hard RoHo fans), that he and Nina, as a couple, couldn't be fit into most stories because their characters are not particularly popular with PC residents or GH fans. And because they can't realistically interact with most of the other characters, they lift right out - which is unacceptable to FV. Liz/BH fans are also die-hards (which FV learned during her contact negotiation), Liz has deep connections to the canvas, and most of her friends and family are gone. She's a perfect - I can't think of a word other than victim. 

This is probably the first Franco pairing that's gotten even decent support and it gives Franco acess to the rest of the canvas. That's why they're investing so heavily in this assbackwards rape story.

They might think they're doing a favor for BH by pairing her with RoHo, but they know they're using her to try to make SERIAL KILLER fetch happen.

Yup. ^^This is truth!^^ 

6 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Sure, but she's not a priority at all. She's now connected to two favs of TIIC and she still isn't getting an in-character POV or a story of her own.

Poor BH. She is getting stuck with 2 characters almost nobody gives a single shit about. And she STILL ISN'T THE ACTUAL CENTER OF "HER" STORY. Arrrrugh! And she dating her brother's brother!

Honestly, if the whole character of "Franco" was killed off, the entire show would be better off. I get the RoHo love higher ups have. But RoHo would be ahead if they did another mistaken/stolen identity. Just have it come out that real Franco brainwashed Heather and Scott's actual son. Kill the real Franco, off screen. Give RoHo a shot a non horrible plot. 

HayChel? I'm still for this stupid blood crap to just be a mistake and/or coincidence. Waiting for on of the lazy stupid writers to realize that Sonny also has the same blood type as Liz.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Don't forget his Dunkin Corinthos uniform shirt!

I assumed Ava kept that and sleeps in it every night, full glam makeup and hair too.   Because they were really in love.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:30 PM, Darklazr said:

This is all about keeping Roger Howarth on this show and has shit to with Rebecca Herbst, a twenty year vet that FV tried to lowball and get rid of earlier this year.  

Carly, Sam, Michael, Jason, Lulu and Maxie should have all taken Franco out at the Haunted Star!

Or they could have all let AJ murder him when he was actually trying to do it and legit kicking his ass that one time.  Literally, AJ is the only one to legit kick Franco's ass.   No weapons, just straight up ass kicking.  AJ lived the dream and punched him in the face.  

• Love 8

Is Bryan Craig still allowed here? 

Bryan still unable to search youtube himself

Bryan Craig‏ @bryan_craig

Can someone send me the just the scene where I'm tied to the hospital bed

And tells us stuff we knew:

Bryan Craig‏ @bryan_craig

There's two kinda people. The people that think shit and the people that say shit. I say it

• Love 11