Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I honestly don't understand the hostility toward former OLTL actors. Most of them appeared on other soaps as well, and you're not going to get a primetime actor to take a role on GH. Someone on FB suggested Jerry ver Dorn as a possibility and I could definitely see that. Or Michael E. Knight. I do agree that the story should be about Liz and won't. That's the only thing that pisses me off here, not whether the actor appeared on OL.

8 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Given the writing for the existing characters (Hi Paul!), I think it's safe to assume he will bear no resemblance to his previous incarnation.

1. Because they have been swallowing the show since they debuted

2. Because the reappearance of he OLTL3 coincided with some of the worst story and character decisions I've ever seen on this show

3. Because FV and the writers du jour have made it obvious that they prefer to write for the characters they've created/recast at the expense of the existing characters

Yeah that. If this was during the Guza/JFP era, I would be all for it, especially if Mark Teschner was the one vetting the actors and giving recommendations. FV might be good at keeping things under budget, but little good at anything else, and as bad as JFP is (and I heard she pulled a similar stunt on YR with Steve Burton's character) I believe she took MT input far more. Now it seems it seems he is giving his friends jobs on GH. FV and RC couldn't even do a follow up seen when Maxie laid eyes on Frisco for the first time in nearly 20 years, why I believe he would anything with Liz?

• Love 4

I really don't have a problem with other shows' name actors coming over. Well, Phyllis/Nina being the exception.  It is just how shitty this show writes them in. New "name actor" characters seem to almost immediately take over this show. TIIC act like kids with a shiny new toy to play with, forgetting that their viewers may like to see newbies eased into their soap. It should take months for a new character to get bigger roles in plots. 

As for the casting call, I wouldn't be shocked if it turns out to be for Raymond Berlin. He has had alot of mentions lately. And I just don't know if the show runners would ever be able to even try to replace RDA. And it isn't like this show does much with their older characters anyway. So this has to be a chance to prop up HayChel.  And who better to do that than her multiple time mentioned imprisoned daddy? And yeah, WW has to be on speed dial for the audtition. Rick Webber would have to deal with the actual daughter he raised, her sons (his actual grandsons) AND HeyChel. And we all know that wouldn't work for the kids with the new toy. This WTD story will be all about HeyChel. Liz will only be a prop in it.

This fucking show and the writers!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, UYI said:

I don't know, it sometimes feels it's directed at the fans of the show, too, like we're terrible people just because OLTL was our favorite soap--or because JDP, who was fired in 2003 just as Frank had just started EPing that show (ditto Fiona), and therefore was not there for Ron. Actors I miss and would love to see again. I know about the stigma there is for that soap in particular because of Frank and Ron. but sometimes it starts to feel personal/extends towards the fans. I don't want to think some of you guys hate me/think I'm a "lesser" soap fan because I watched OLTL before GH. :'( 

OTOH, having the old Y&R/ATWT stars hired too means it's not JUST directed towards us, now.

Hey, OLTL is my #1 soap, I watched it for a good 20 years (granted, I started watching GH at the same time). I think about that ensemble very often. But after the shit Frank and Ron have pulled, together and individually, I can't see a good reason for a single OLTL castmember to join this show again for years to come. It's become deeply toxic and it's poisoned the well for so many good people. And even so, I think James DePaiva would be totally wrong for Jeff Webber.

Same goes for most AMC actors* you can name re: the Hayden storyline (and that's all it is, her storyline). I'm sure Jean Passanante or FV or both are thinking it would be real fuckin' cute to bring on Walt Willey to play Dr. Jeff and be Rebecca Budig's daddy again. I loved Jack Montgomery and I love Walt Willey but fuck that. There's a certain point that these shows just became desperate pityfucks with a lot of sad-assed vets from other shows reuniting on another one in terrible, flimsy storylines while the actual longtime families and characters are floundering. ATWT did that in its final years with a shit-ton of GH and other vets (Lynn Herring, Stuart Damon, you name it) who couldn't get re-hired here and it was lame shit that helped ruin what was already a horrible show. There's a time and a place and IMO this ain't it.

(* - Not Vincent Irizarry though, he definitely should have been Julian Jerome. Now Michael E. Knight - nice guy, but too emblematic of Tad Martin. If he were to come on I'd want him to play a wacky doctor but with no storyline connection whatsoever to any AMC star.)

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, stlbf said:

And I just don't know if the show runners would ever be able to even try to replace RDA.

We haven't seen Jeff onscreen since 1981. He's almost a new character at this point. IMO, RDA's shadow doesn't loom that much over the character. Whatever the problems are, it won't be because his Jeff was so indelible.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Sonny also tried to have Franco killed, although he made the mistake of sending the incompetent Shawn.

Wasn't it Carly who hired Shawn to do that? And because Olivia got shot instead, Sonny threatened to kill Carly? Or was that another shooting blunder at MetroCourt?

• Love 1

Carly and Shawn conspired to kill Franco when he first showed up, that was the incident at the MetroCourt.

But right before Carly and Franco were going to get married, Sonny tasked Shawn with killing Franco.  IIRC, Heather ended up getting the drop on him.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

We haven't seen Jeff onscreen since 1981. He's almost a new character at this point. IMO, RDA's shadow doesn't loom that much over the character. Whatever the problems are, it won't be because his Jeff was so indelible.

Nah, they'll still eff it up.   Jeff left town as a mildly cranky and selfish doctor.  He will probably return as someone plotting with Obrecht to turn GH into a sinister bio weapons lab or something.  

Look what poor boring milquetoast Paul was turned into to fit the show's weird narrative of ... actually, I have no idea what message the show is trying to send these days, other than: PLS PUT OUT OF MISERY THX!!!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I mean, the fact that he became MacGyver makes him more notable than it would for someone else, but I get that.

On June 6, 2016 at 10:17 AM, peachmangosteen said:

A triangle between those two and a KA character would be so horrible that it might make it's way around to hilariously entertaining for me.

I think that's it, too. They think we're all deeply stupid and they have no respect for us.

They kinda screwed Jeff over in 97 when Liz and Sarah came on about him being the worse father when he was so desperate to find SLW.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

What happened? I don't remember what they said about their parents when they showed up

All I know is that they went to save orphans in Bosnia or something because they were doctors. 

On 9/7/2016 at 0:51 PM, Sake614 said:

But why blame the actors?

Because, for good or bad, the actors are "gets/pets" of the EP from their prior soap (the OLTL actors, anyway; Michelle Stafford was likely just to stick it to Y&R/JFP) and eat the show alive - and usually in horrific roles that are force fed while the actors who have been here giving it their all on GH for years/decades seem to exist only to genuflect at said pets. And this applies not only to OLTL/Y&R actors but new pets a la Sabrina who was basically written to usurp the life of a former beloved character and have that character's love story denigrated so the pet's own romance with the shared love interest could be "equal".

And the pets get favors galore: No way should Michael Easton have had character after character. And Roger Howarth and Kristen Alderson should never had been reincarnated from their OLTL characters.

And like it or not, it breeds resentment for the actors.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Someone said that Donnel Turner (Curtis) said in SOD that working with Michelle Stafford was "electric, like caffeine and a side of waffles".

I think that sounds plausible lol.

Amphetamine waffles? LSD waffles?  

• Love 5

Whoever they pick for Jeff needs to look age appropriate for Monica and Heather too, since he was married to both. Even with MEK's grey hair, which I love, I think he might look too young alongside both. His leading ladies were Dixie on AMC and Ashley on YR, not the same age group as Monica and Heather. I could see the guy who played Bo? Right? Ooh, Ron Raines would work. I'd like to see Freaco try some shit on Alan Damn Spaulding. He will cut a bitch, verbally AND physically. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Someone said that Donnel Turner (Curtis) said in SOD that working with Michelle Stafford was "electric, like caffeine and a side of waffles".

I think that sounds plausible lol.

I assume he means the electric wire that charges Michelle Stafford's jazz hands to full power is hidden in the waffles?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5

Making Paul a villain was not that implausible, IMO. He'd come on in (supposedly-unwilling) league with a terrorist cartel and was a somewhat duplicitious businessman who slept around on Tracy. There was room to work there having him up to no good. The thing is that when you have a character with those many active connections (Dillon, Tracy, etc.) and as exceptional an actor as Richard Burgi who has no need to be on a daytime soap at this point in his storied career, there's a lot more mileage to be gained by leaving Hornsby simply shifty and 'grey' but not an irredeemable villain. He could easily have been re-paired with Tracy, as he and Jane Elliot have amazing chemistry. Instead they cycled through a variety of bizarre versions of Paul - scheming mob king, irrational lovestruck DA stalking Anna, and now serial killer. Paul Hornsby has always been a strange and shifty character, but Burgi could have made him something really complex and solid on the show, and helped to re-solidify the Qs.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

Yes he took him when he left town to get away from Heather.I just don't think Lizs realtionship with her parents was good.

Yeah, Liz had a true teen's view of her family. Her doctor parents favored her "perfect golden" siblings and she felt that she was unworthy in their eyes. Which wasn't how Sarah and Steve remembered it. But that viewpoint of the story did fit with Liz's teen rebellion stage. So it would be very interesting to at least have a one sided scene of Liz apologizing to one/both of her parents over the phone or Skype for her typical teen attitude.  Maybe after dealing with a preteen Cam issue? Remembering her bratty attitude to her family.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, jsbt said:

Making Paul a villain was not that implausible, IMO. He'd come on in (supposedly-unwilling) league with a terrorist cartel and was a somewhat duplicitious businessman who slept around on Tracy. There was room to work there having him up to no good. The thing is that when you have a character with those many active connections (Dillon, Tracy, etc.) and as exceptional an actor as Richard Burgi who has no need to be on a daytime soap at this point in his storied career, there's a lot more mileage to be gained by leaving Hornsby simply shifty and 'grey' but not an irredeemable villain. He could easily have been re-paired with Tracy, as he and Jane Elliot have amazing chemistry. Instead they cycled through a variety of bizarre versions of Paul - scheming mob king, irrational lovestruck DA stalking Anna, and now serial killer. Paul Hornsby has always been a strange and shifty character, but Burgi could have made him something really complex and solid on the show, and helped to re-solidify the Qs.

Paul, not Franco, should have had the ready-made tumah excuse. It would still suck donkey balls, but it would be for a far better actor (IMO!), and since everything on this freaking show gets retconned, just have the victims been found to have died by another way, and maybe Paul's killings were in his head.

But then that would lock Richard Burgi on here, and I think he deserves better. He's better off returning to prime time since GH won't "waste time" with Tracy which is ridiculous since, as you said, Elliot/Burgi had great chemistry and had built-in issues/stories with Wallpaper Dillon back on the canvas.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Why is it a lock that RDA wouldn't return as Jeff? Bad blood? Something else?

I know he isn't at him most fit right now, which is the real reason, I suspect, that he won't "dignify" the new McGyver show with a cameo.

If I recall, he was asked to reprise Jeff some time ago and shot that down. I think RDA is happy to live in obscurity now.

• Love 2

RDA has been asked many times (including for the last few Nurses' Balls and the anniversary, I think) and always shut it down. He did years on MacGyver and Stargate in primetime and cable and clearly has no interest.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, jsbt said:

RDA has been asked many times (including for the last few Nurses' Balls and the anniversary, I think) and always shut it down. He did years on MacGyver and Stargate in primetime and cable and clearly has no interest.

Yeah last interview I read said that he was happily retired from acting and enjoying his life.

3 hours ago, coffee drinker said:

*Whistles to herself about the topic* Actors from canceled show shoehorned on to GH:  KMo, 2003.

Just saying.

Truth, but at least KeMo was the only one at the time.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

And PC was already somewhat in the GH universe.

Kelly wasn't playing livvie though.Heck I Remeber whenport charles was cancelled  Guza said that Lynn herring and JL didn't belong on GH anymore that was ridclous.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Harmony233 said:

Kelly wasn't playing livvie though.Heck I Remeber whenport charles was cancelled  Guza said that Lynn herring and JL didn't belong on GH anymore that was ridclous.

Gonna take this to the Sam thread.

4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Aaron Jaeger was the day player business bro who went after Lauren, and she crushed his Bluetooth, right? LOL that he has much to say about working with BC. It was one day.

Yeah. He is friends with BC though, so maybe they worked on other projects. Like sending in an audition tape to Big Brother together.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

Hmm I don't remember this. Probably because fuck Britt. 

Also, it was when Ava was going into fake labor or something, so that probably doesn't help your memory either.

Here's Bryan Craig to remind you

Edited by ulkis