Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BlackMamba said:

If that has any truth,  watch Alison Sweeney will then be casted as Sarah Webber finally and the Ejami 2.0 will start...  I mean what hell is Frank trying to do...  hes bloating the cast but to do what... yeah he'll get a slight ratings bump but it won't hold... Why not show your damn vets 3 times a week that made this show a success...  fans have been screaming for more Laura and Felicia but this fucker Frank won't utilize them at all.   

I doubt she has any interest in going back to soaps at the moment. If she was going to go to a bad show that's always thisclose to cancelation, she'd go back to DAYS.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, jsbt said:

Nobody at ABC cares about Erika Slezak though, or Monica. It's not like they'd hire Erika and suddenly say 'well, now Sonny has to stop winning, these old broads are here and I hear they're great!' Sonny would still be treated as the star of the show.

I love Viki and Dorian and Erika Slezak practically raised me through the TV set, but fuck no. First of all, it's not like the stories were doing Viki and Dorian great service on many of those later years on OLTL. Second and most important, if GH recast Leslie Charleson and/or added Robin Strasser to the show, the fans would revolt, storm the studio and take heads on spikes and rightly so. It would be beyond the pale and I would condemn it 100%, because Erika and Robin have no place on this show. It would be exactly what Frank is doing now only even worse.

Yep.

LC's 40th anniversary on the show is next year*. GH might be a festering corpse at this point, but LC has been nothing if not loyal to it. She may not be around very often, but she's about the only remnant of the glory years this show actually has left. She, Denise Alexander, Genie Francis, Jackie Zeman, and Jane Elliot should really all be considered co-matriarchs for the show. 

Not that I took that picture all that seriously. It was a Choose Your Own Adventure fantasy more than anything else. 

*Stuart Damon's, too, if he hadn't been so cruelly let go 9 years ago (although his recent health issues may have led to an eventual voluntary retirement anyway).

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, jsbt said:

Nobody at ABC cares about Erika Slezak though, or Monica. It's not like they'd hire Erika and suddenly say 'well, now Sonny has to stop winning, these old broads are here and I hear they're great!' Sonny would still be treated as the star of the show.

I love Viki and Dorian and Erika Slezak practically raised me through the TV set, but fuck no. First of all, it's not like the stories were doing Viki and Dorian great service on many of those later years on OLTL. Second and most important, if GH recast Leslie Charleson and/or added Robin Strasser to the show, the fans would revolt, storm the studio and take heads on spikes and rightly so. It would be beyond the pale and I would condemn it 100%, because Erika and Robin have no place on this show. It would be exactly what Frank is doing now only even worse.

Whoa.   Whoa now.   I never said in all seriousness let's replace LC.   It was sarcasm, which admittedly does not translate well.  I highly doubt fans would revolt, storm the studio, and take heads on spikes, and be within their rights to do so because that is just freaking bananas.  Really.  If no one did it when Anna Devane was making out with a latex mask or Robin Scorpio was kidnapped a million times or Michael was raped in prison and then his rape facilitator became a gentle child whisperer or Sonny murdered Alan and Monica's only child, then I doubt two legit soap legends on their screens in a well written story will cause a riot.  Frank would probably make sure they had better writing because they'd demand it or they could and would sell it.  And quite frankly, I'm not looking for another Summer of Suck.  B&B didn't burst into flames when Joe Mascolo and Jack Wagner joined.  GH can handle some big names coming to help out Jane and Leslie before they collapse from carrying this show.  A few changes would help save this show now, not hurt it.  And GH needs saving.  

• Love 7

Slezak wouldn't demand anything. Ever. Not her style. She played Vicki being brainwashed to kill her son and never said a word about it until many years later. But she played it because that's what she's paid to do. Strasser is another story. And honestly GH has enough divas both male and female, IMO.

As to whether fans would revolt? Don't know but it should never come to that. I thought ES might have been a good choice for Hayden's mother, but I really don't want her on this shit show. I like her far too much for that.

on topic, I still can't believe they're bringing in all these 'temp' recasts. And I'd love to know the BTS story...

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Tiger said:

All jokes aside, Frank will solve the 'Molly Burnett isn't blonde' by spray-painting the Denise wig.

LMAO! You're probably not too far off sadly.

I'm nosy so I wanna know what happened with TC and KSt. They're both in what are about to become huge, front-burner stories so I'm not surprised they recasted.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, UYI said:

Not that I took that picture all that seriously. It was a Choose Your Own Adventure fantasy more than anything else. 

I took it as a rip on Frank's casting choices.  That would be the ultimate Frank-ing of GH - recast Monica and Tracy with ES and RS.  

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I think Molly Burnett's hair color will be the least of GH's problems. Sometimes I think KSt could stand to darken her hair to that rose gold shade she had around 2008.

I think that all the time. I also wonder if someone engraved it in stone that Lulu is never allowed to have a significant haircut, although I think JMB's hair would have looked better shorter than ER's would. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

I would prefer Kate Mansini if I had to pick a Days actress.  I mean, she's no Charity Rahmer, but she's not Jen Lilley either.   

ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT. Fuck that shit. I finally got rid of her at Days so she better not bring her ass here. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Where are you getting that idea from? I know a lot of people whined and complained when ME, KA, and RH were brought; but that was mostly on-line people. There was no storming of the gates and revolting and I highly doubt that would happen if ES and/or RS came on.

That was four years ago. People were mostly okay with the OLTL characters in 2012. What they weren't okay with was their returning as terrible new characters and then having a bunch of other unrelated soap stars brought on and forced into the fabric of the show. Doing something like what's described would tank the show even harder than it's already tanking. There is a reason Ron was fired last summer.

• Love 3

Jen Lilley just quit Days. If Molly Burnett hadn't just been cast as Maxie, I would think JL was on her way back (and I would be okay with this, because I liked her Maxie). 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Whoa.   Whoa now.   I never said in all seriousness let's replace LC.   It was sarcasm, which admittedly does not translate well.  I highly doubt fans would revolt, storm the studio, and take heads on spikes, and be within their rights to do so because that is just freaking bananas.  Really.  If no one did it when Anna Devane was making out with a latex mask or Robin Scorpio was kidnapped a million times or Michael was raped in prison and then his rape facilitator became a gentle child whisperer or Sonny murdered Alan and Monica's only child, then I doubt two legit soap legends on their screens in a well written story will cause a riot.  Frank would probably make sure they had better writing because they'd demand it or they could and would sell it.  And quite frankly, I'm not looking for another Summer of Suck.  B&B didn't burst into flames when Joe Mascolo and Jack Wagner joined.  GH can handle some big names coming to help out Jane and Leslie before they collapse from carrying this show.  A few changes would help save this show now, not hurt it.  And GH needs saving.  

I'm sorry, but this doesn't match reality. When did Erika or Robin ever demand, or get, better writing in the last five years of OLTL? Erika made a career out of never demanding things and largely holding her fire - that's who she was and is. And Robin actually got fired in 2000, then was quietly ushered off the show in 2011 before the show ended but what would appear to be several different stated reasons. Frank Valentini never exactly went out of his way to make sure their writing was 'better' in the last years of OLTL either (who can forget Dorian's silly string hostage crisis?), and there is zero evidence to indicate either that he would do so now or that they would insist upon it. These women do not have leverage to change GH just because they were big stars on OLTL. They didn't even have leverage to change OLTL.

I love these actresses but they have no place on this show, and the presence of the longstanding, systemic issues the show has had for many years is not going to change that. Hiring a bunch of big names from outside GH and thinking they will either gain an audience or magically upend the fabric of the show or the way an EP runs it is the same kind of thinking that got us Michelle Stafford, Roger Howarth, Michael Easton x3, Roger Howarth and now Bree Williamson. Those are the all-new, equally bad issues Frank and Ron brought to the show.

GH is already half-stuffed with people who don't belong there and random producer favorites, and it's been bleeding an audience because of it. How is adding the two older women stars of OLTL who are known on-sight for that show not going to add insult to injury? 'We can't give you more of the veterans you care about, we can't hire them back, but we can keep hiring more people from the show we like better - besides, they might lecture Sonny sometimes, so that could be fun!'

B&B and other soaps added stars from better shows in other times, or in better health - B&B is still one of the top soaps standing, but it added the men you described over ten years ago. Both are gone now. This is 2016 and GH is dying because of one creative team's love for its own favorites and the show they used to work on. That's the situation and adding more of their favorites just because OLTL is my favorite soap opera of all time is only going to murder it quicker. On the scale of bad for this show, there is now Sonny, then the mob, then at the top of the heap, Frank Valentini's obsession with transmogrifying GH into some other soap opera either with people I used to love or people I cannot stand.

• Love 7
(edited)

^^^^ I think Robin actually quit in 2000, not that JFP minded seeing her go, most likely. She was fired in 1987 by Paul Rauch, though (and refused to return in 1990 when Rauch tried to get her back).

I'm actually amazed Leslie was never let go by JFP. It sounded at times like she fought as hard as Robin against some of the writing she got (or didn't get) when she was there. 

And not for nothing, but B&B is somewhat infamous for hiring names from other soaps and then backburnering them until they disappear without a trace. Just saying. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2016/05/28/blind-item-this-soap-showrunner-is-about-to-be-fired

A veteran daytime soap opera executive producer is on his or her way out at this sudser. I hear the suits have been quietly building their case for quite some times, citing ratings woes among other issues.

While it will likely be spun in the press as the exiting E.P.'s decision to leave, make no mistake, this person is about to be canned. 

Speaking of firings, a writing regime at one daytime drama has until the end of summer to shape up or ship out.  Over at yet another sudser, people are beginning to whisper that this scribe isn't physically or mentally capable of handling the job of helming a soap's writing room anymore. 

• Love 4

That really does sound like Frank. Ken Corday and Brad Bell will be at their soaps forever, and I don't see JFP getting fired from Y&R. That leaves Frank.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've heard those rumblings about Frank recently but I assumed he would survive as he always does. He overplayed his hand badly on adding even more new favorites, then grabbing a cheap and easy writing team he could bulldoze. He never used to seem this driven by his own ego - or if he was, he hid it behind Ron and behind his ice-cold reputation.

I can't imagine who the fuck they'd replace him with. The first writing regime can only be GH. The second is almost certainly Dena Higley at DAYS.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, UYI said:

^^^^ I think Robin actually quit in 2000, not that JFP minded seeing her go, most likely. She was fired in 1987 by Paul Rauch, though (and refused to return in 1990 when Rauch tried to get her back).

Robin quit/was pushed. JFP wanted her gone.

• Love 2

The second and third blind items are probably about Days, I would guess. It recently celebrated its 50th Anniversary by resetting the show (again) and it didn't do much to help the ratings and the reaction online has been mixed. Plus there have been rumors that Higley was having personal issues. Y&R and GH are both hot garbage disasters so I think the blind item about the EP could apply to either one of them.

But would ABC even bother to fire Frank? They could just cancel GH and air reruns of old episodes until they find a viable replacement and probably get similar ratings to what the new episodes are getting. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I'm sorry, but this doesn't match reality. When did Erika or Robin ever demand, or get, better writing in the last five years of OLTL? Erika made a career out of never demanding things and largely holding her fire - that's who she was and is. And Robin actually got fired in 2000, then was quietly ushered off the show in 2011 before the show ended but what would appear to be several different stated reasons. Frank Valentini never exactly went out of his way to make sure their writing was 'better' in the last years of OLTL either (who can forget Dorian's silly string hostage crisis?), and there is zero evidence to indicate either that he would do so now or that they would insist upon it. These women do not have leverage to change GH just because they were big stars on OLTL. They didn't even have leverage to change OLTL.

I love these actresses but they have no place on this show, and the presence of the longstanding, systemic issues the show has had for many years is not going to change that. Hiring a bunch of big names from outside GH and thinking they will either gain an audience or magically upend the fabric of the show or the way an EP runs it is the same kind of thinking that got us Michelle Stafford, Roger Howarth, Michael Easton x3, Roger Howarth and now Bree Williamson. Those are the all-new, equally bad issues Frank and Ron brought to the show.

GH is already half-stuffed with people who don't belong there and random producer favorites, and it's been bleeding an audience because of it. How is adding the two older women stars of OLTL who are known on-sight for that show not going to add insult to injury? 'We can't give you more of the veterans you care about, we can't hire them back, but we can keep hiring more people from the show we like better - besides, they might lecture Sonny sometimes, so that could be fun!'

B&B and other soaps added stars from better shows in other times, or in better health - B&B is still one of the top soaps standing, but it added the men you described over ten years ago. Both are gone now. This is 2016 and GH is dying because of one creative team's love for its own favorites and the show they used to work on. That's the situation and adding more of their favorites just because OLTL is my favorite soap opera of all time is only going to murder it quicker. On the scale of bad for this show, there is now Sonny, then the mob, then at the top of the heap, Frank Valentini's obsession with transmogrifying GH into some other soap opera either with people I used to love or people I cannot stand.

Again.  I was being sarcastic when I said "Yes, let's have ES and RS come lecture Sonny.". But since you want to lecture me on soaps, cool.  I respect your knowledge and passion for it.  I feel the same.  I just do not see that people will commit acts of well anything beyond memes or angry forum posts.   No one will best Sonny.  That's the show formula for 20 plus years and GH is cool with it.  I merely though oh it'd be cool if they came on rather than BW, RoHo, ME, or RB, etc.  Get some actual legit soap names.   It was just a thought.   Have a fabulous day.  

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, jsbt said:

Doing something like what's described would tank the show even harder than it's already tanking. There is a reason Ron was fired last summer.

I think the reason Ron was fired was because the ratings were tanking, his stories were shit, and he was becoming increasingly combative on Twitter and making a fool of himself. If these new hires had good writing, there would be no complaining (well there would because there's always complaining, but I don't think it would be as loud nor would the ratings have declined so badly.)

10 hours ago, UYI said:

Jen Lilley just quit Days. If Molly Burnett hadn't just been cast as Maxie, I would think JL was on her way back (and I would be okay with this, because I liked her Maxie). 

After the flack she got last time, I wouldn't see Jen Lilley coming back, at least not as a temporary recast. I don't know if she would do that again.

10 hours ago, jsbt said:

Do you have any data to back this claim that the new hires was what was bleeding the audience? Because I don't think there's any way to prove that. I honestly think for all the complaining about these new hires, this is not some new problem that RC and FV brought to the show. This has been going on for years. This has been going on under Guza, Wolf, Cartini. I remember the fuss kicked up when Kelly Monaco was brought on after PC was cancelled and that was not under Cartini; that was Guza. 

Unless you are Sonny, Jason, or Carly or connected to them in some big way (or Luke when he was around) your storyline will constantly fluctuate and you may be consistently backburnered. If Howarth, Stafford, Budig, and Easton were all canned tomorrow the soap audience wouldn't come flocking back and it's not as if the story would really change. Instead of a character played by one of them it would be some other character played by some newbie getting thrust into the spotlight and "stealing" storylines. It doesn't matter if you're a soap "get" or a newbie.

I remember when Spinelli first came on and he started to get popular and he was on every day and the gnashing of teeth over that. Then that stopped for the most part and then it was Dante becoming the airtime hog along with Olivia and an assortment of new characters. Then it was Connie and so on and so on. Bottom line is if these writers wanted to write for vets like Bobbie, Laura, Lucy, Scotty, Robert, etc. they would. It's not the soap "gets" fault for taking a job. And the idea that this is just a GH problem I don't think is correct. Yeah, the example given was ten years ago, but they're still doing it. Rena Sofer and Sean Kanan are on there now as well as Thorsten Kaye (he's still there, right?) Y&R and GH seem to be in a constant battle to get each other's famous cast-offs. I turned into Days the other day and recognized only two characters. I think since ratings across the board are crappy and the EPs are just lazy and think "Hey, let's bring on a name and that'll increase the audience" and no one's bothering to take care of the number one problems which are related to the stories being told.

Yeah, GH has a lot of big name gets. Billy Miller (though I don't really count him since he's at least paying an popular vet character), Michelle Stafford, Maura West, Roger Howarth, Michael Easton, Bree Williamson (though we don't know yet if she's on contract), Rebecca Budig. That's like seven names. That's at least balanced with plenty of other vet characters (just counting the ones who appear somewhat consistently): Sonny & Carly (unfortunately), Nikolas, Tracy (she doesn't have it great but she's doing a lot better than characters like Felicia and Bobbie), Alexis, Sam, Maxie, Anna, Dante, Lulu, Michael, Liz. Plus, an assortment of newbies. Like a said before get rid of the names and nothing would change for characters like Monica and Ned. We'd just have more Sonny, Carly, Sam, Liz, Jason (if that's possible) and be doubling down on characters like Kiki, Nathan, Morgan, Griffin, etc. So no I do not think GH would die if ES, RS, or any other big soap name (even Susan Lucci) were hired.

I think if being a "get" is just because you've appeared on one or two soaps (because honestly as much as I actually liked Jessica, Bree Williamson does not seem like that big of a "get") it's going to get awfully hard to hire talented people if we're banning any soap "gets" from being hired ever.

If any of these hires had excellent stories to back them up, there would not be a problem. Any mass exodus of viewers is probably not because of the actors hired, but because of the stinky product on-screen. And IMO, hell yeah Sonny and the mob are the number one problem. Like I know that among the general audience, not on-line, it's possible the Corinthii are still very popular, but they would still be popular if those characters took a backseat every once and awhile and lost instead of feeling like the show is held hostage by the need to bend over backwards to genuflect about that man and shove him and Carly on-screen constantly. I can take the Finns and the Ninas and Haydens a lot more than I can stand more of the Sonny propping hour. 

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 8

Tbh, I think I'd only consider MSt and Billy Miller actual "gets" because let's  face it, the majority of main stream, average people only know Y&R.  Therefore,  a Y&R actor-  especially ones that were on for a while or were well liked will either bring fans or get attention.  For all we know, BW could've  auditioned  and was better than a hair model.  Since KSt has to unfortunately  not be with us this summer, I'd rather BW and Matt Cohen in this story  since I know they can perform.  (Check out HTGAWM, he can.)  I don't even consider Roger Howarth a get because it's not 93 anymore.  He had major buzz then, but not now.  ME is not a huge get either.   All the complaining about OLTL actors  is moot imo.  A bunch of soaps got cancelled.  Lots of talented  actors will be auditioning.   You can have talent or hair models.  I'll take talent.  Besides, if they come on as a Sonny  rival, they'll be dead soon  anyway.  

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

I'll take talent.  Besides, if they come on as a Sonny  rival, they'll be dead soon  anyway.  

Sonny is this show's Victor Newman.  He will always win and get his way one way or another.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Kendall said:

I'm not exactly mad at the notion, but only because I think Erika Slezak would actually force the show to write a story for Monica. Robin Strasser should be an unknown Cassadine or a doctor at the hospital going up against Erika's Monica.

Oh good golly! When I wrote that, I didn't mean she was going to go in guns blazing and pack up Maurice's stuff in a moving truck. I just meant that if they did replace Leslie with an Erika Sleazak, they would need to justify the move and her hire in general, hence writing a story.

2 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Again.  I was being sarcastic when I said "Yes, let's have ES and RS come lecture Sonny.". But since you want to lecture me on soaps, cool.  I respect your knowledge and passion for it.  I feel the same.  I just do not see that people will commit acts of well anything beyond memes or angry forum posts.   No one will best Sonny.  That's the show formula for 20 plus years and GH is cool with it.  I merely though oh it'd be cool if they came on rather than BW, RoHo, ME, or RB, etc.  Get some actual legit soap names.   It was just a thought.   Have a fabulous day.  

Hey, what are you gonna do? Some people know the ins and outs of soaps and some of us just know what channel its on.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

A bunch of soaps got cancelled.  Lots of talented  actors will be auditioning.   You can have talent or hair models.  I'll take talent.

This! I mean GH especially shouldn't really be hiring anyone because they have too many characters they don't use as it is, but if they insist on hiring people, I'd rather they get the best talent for it. I mean if they decided to fire Ryan Paevey and replace him with (just throwing a name out there) Freddie Smith, I wouldn't be lamenting that he was from another soap, I'd just be glad someone talented was in the role.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Nina is worse than Sonny propping.* I truly believe she's one of the few characters who drives away viewers by her lone self because of MSt's grating mannerisms. 

The only gets I have a problem with are the OLTL people. I wouldn't if FV wasn't around. He has an (imo) obvious bias towards the OLTL actors.

*Well, depends on the day.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3
(edited)

Erika Slezak spent the better part of a decade not forcing her own show to write a story for Viki after being on that show longer than anyone, I don't see how she'd force anyone to write a story for Monica Quartermaine on GH.

GH can hire as many very talented (or just popular) people as it wants to, but it's not going to guarantee their success in new roles on a show and with a longtime audience that is often not interested in welcoming them. This is the case going back to as early as when they brought over Bernard Gordon from The Doctors, thinking he would be their star; he faltered and instead they homegrew better characters, like the Webbers, like the Qs, like Laura and Luke. It happened again with Bill Eckert - people hated him, Tony Geary or no Tony Geary. It happened again with the attempts to make Stefan and Katherine a supercouple, and then again with A Martinez and Jensen Buchanan. It's happened with Michael Easton at least once or twice, it's still happening with Roger Howarth.

There have been success stories with this move over the years, specifically Denise Alexander, who came over from DAYS and played Lesley in what was a major casting coup at the time. But the long-term successes are rare compared to the failures that die on the vine. That's because for at least 40 years shows have been making these kind of mistakes. If you have to turn a show upside-down to showcase someone new, the audience is not going to buy it and it's only going to exacerbate the existing problems you already have. GH was already plagued by its longstanding issues with Sonny and the mob. Frank and Ron just introduced all-new issues: they can't stop hiring other popular stars and/or their favorites. Now that's giving people two big reasons not to watch - not only is at least half the show taken up by Sonny and his family and adoring sycophants, but the rest is taken up by Nina, Franco, and a host of other people that a lot of the longtime audience don't care about, while Laura, Dante, Lulu, you name it can barely buy screentime, let alone story.

Moreover, it doesn't change anything about the sucking creative vacuum at the heart of the show that is now taking everything and everyone involved down with it. People either leave, get fired or sit around waiting for their scraps while the show just keeps adding new people. There isn't an engine to support that. I can talk about how terrible Sonny is all holiday weekend, and he is terrible, but hey, in the eyes of a lot of the audience, they at least know who he is. Sonny is not the first issue at hand here, AFAIC. If they wrote out Sonny tomorrow, we'd still be dealing with Nina, Franco, Bree Williamson and a lot of other shit. And they wouldn't be any less bad for the show - they'd still be people the audience has no reason to care about, while wishing they could watch the longtime characters they really care for. And changing the writing regime wouldn't change that much either, at this point.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 8

But, just as you insist that viewers can't continue to blame Sonny and Maurice, I contend that you can't keep blaming the newer characters. It isn't so much that the viewers don't care about the newer characters as much as they haven't been given reason to care. If Sonny and them don't like 'em, you can't like 'em, we won't let you, either through storyline or screen time.

Now, if everyone wants to meet in the middle and blame the writers, that's fine.

But, it can't be ignored that the reason why the water in Port Charles has been the same for so many years is because Sonny is there and some of the loudest fans are, what did you call them: studio storming, revolting fans who claim that they will stop watching if the taste of water changes in the slightest. Whereas the numbers show that all of the fans that won't loudly revolt or storm the studio will simply change the channel.

You've gone through history to show where hiring new people doesn't work, but conveniently, in my opinion, left out the many instances in which hiring new people worked swimmingly. Maybe they weren't well known entities from other shows, which they wouldn't have been, as for the most part as the entire industry was thriving and there was no need to jump around. But, I'm sure there were people that were ready to break their TVs every time Blackie and Frisco picked up their guitars to sing, but Blackie and Frisco were some of the best characters to hit the screen.

I'm sure there were people that never wanted to hear the name "Cassadine" ever again and wanted to get back to the hospital, but those stories ended up being so important to the fabric of the show that they later made up new Cassadines to further mine that story potential.

Oh gosh, another WSB/spy story? Well, yeah, it's summertime and we believe that Robert Scorpio will evolve into Robert Freakin' Scorpio. We love Robert so much, now you get some Mac Scorpio!

Brenda Barrett was everywhere! A superstar model who I think was even shorter than the other implausible superstar model Erica Kane! Of course, I'm talking height, not beauty as they were both gorgeous.

But anyway, there has always been a time when GH has tipped in one direction a little more than it should, but it was still justified by solid storytelling and balanced by an actual moral code that wasn't exclusive to the tiny world of PC, but the world in general, so a viewer could palate what was going on in Port Charles.

That's not happening right now, not with the new characters, not with the veteran characters, nor any characters not in the Corinthos Club. John Durant was a successful addition and he would've continued to be one, if his focus wasn't moved from getting to know Carly, but chasing after Sonny. She couldn't even have her own father! She didn't get to keep Carly Benson either.

Yes, the writing is poor, but the poor quality is exacerbated because most roads lead to one black hole of suck. And, the roads that simply pass by the black hole are two lane side streets that can't handle a lot of traffic.

• Love 8
(edited)

I think at this point, it's different, because not only is there a glut of newer actors/characters, but the show is at its lowest point, at daytime's lowest point, even compared to 2011/2012, when AMC and OLTL were cancelled by ABC, and GH was expected to have the same fate shortly afterwards, especially once Guza/JFP/Frons were all fired. If TPTB are smart (which...eh), they would be building up the number of veterans/old fan favorites who make returns, so that the show is at least halfway recognizable when it's inevitably cancelled, and has the chance of a decent finale.

Not to sound TOO fatalistic, but that's where the show seems to be at now, their recent renewal be damned. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'm kinda confused as to what's being argued here - is it that Valentini hiring people like Easton, Stafford, West, is a thing that's always been done and what he's doing is no difference then what's been going on for decades? Or is it what's worse for the show, Saint Sonny v Franco, Nina, Budig, etc

Yes to an extent what Valentini is doing is nothing new, but there are some unique things about it. He brought three people from his old soap, and when he had to scrap the characters, he brought them as three new characters a month later. I don't think that's ever been done before. And when he fired one of them, basically admitting they weren't really doing anything for the show, he brought him back as a third character 6 months later. I'm pretty sure that's never been done before, but of course if someone knows another example let me know.

As for Sonny or Nina/Franco/etc, like @Oracle42 pointed out not too long ago, probably the main reason we're probably getting more Sonny again, super heart of gold version, is probably because Valentini wants to keep the actors he likes. Ratings went down last summer, and there was not as much Sonny as usual, so he figures to fix it by adding more Sonny (thinking that is going to appeal to viewers who want "vet" GH characters) instead of getting rid of Franco/Nina/Nathan to try and fix the ratings. So if ratings went up with more Sonny, it would mean it wasn't actually Nina/Franco/big name/OLTL favorite who was the problem. So yeah, I'd say they're the bigger problem than Sonny. I'm pretty sure I did not explain that quite as clearly as her, so I'll try to find her post.

3 hours ago, Kendall said:

But, just as you insist that viewers can't continue to blame Sonny and Maurice, I contend that you can't keep blaming the newer characters. It isn't so much that the viewers don't care about the newer characters as much as they haven't been given reason to care. If Sonny and them don't like 'em, you can't like 'em, we won't let you, either through storyline or screen time.

I don't think anyone is blaming all the newer characters, just the big ones like Nina and Franco who have been here for years now and are still basically poorly received (the blogger at Daytime Confidential who has backstage info about the show basically admitted it last year) and are sucking up a lot of airtime.

And your last sentence isn't always true. Sonny hates Franco, and we see a ton of his POV, and he gets a ton of sympathetic writing, and also airtime. He just sang some faux Rainbow Connection song on stage to help out a traumatized kid. It doesn't get more sympathetic than that.

I definitely think that Sonny should be downsized, gotten rid of or treated like the scum he is by the other characters. But I think Franco (and Valentini giving in to all his preferences) being on the show at all is the bigger problem at the moment.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I don't think anyone is blaming all the newer characters, just the big ones like Nina and Franco who have been here for years now and are still basically poorly received (the blogger at Daytime Confidential who has backstage info about the show basically admitted it last year) and are sucking up a lot of airtime.

And your last sentence isn't always true. Sonny hates Franco, and we see a ton of his POV, and he gets a ton of sympathetic writing, and also airtime. He just sang some faux Rainbow Connection song on stage to help out a traumatized kid. It doesn't get more sympathetic than that.

I definitely think that Sonny should be downsized, gotten rid of or treated like the scum he is by the other characters. But I think Franco (and Valentini giving in to all his preferences) being on the show at all is the bigger problem at the moment.

Franco was created to be a foil to Jason, the bulk of his storyline was/is connected to Jason hating him and he torturing Jason. Jason is the "them" of Sonny and them. Sam is more often "them" than she is not. Franco loves Carly, that connects to Sonny. Franco has Michael raped in prison, that connects to Sonny. Franco tortured Sam, that connects to Jason and Sonny.

Franco is now interested in Liz, Jason is furious.

He's singing Rainbow Connection now, but that's after years of doing every dark and evil thing that "Sonny and Jason would never do". So, through his storyline Sonny and them didn't like him and most normal viewers wouldn't like him. So, using your example, my theory holds true.

Outside of anything Sonny, Nina and Franco violate the other point I made: they don't adhere to a moral code that the average viewer has, so what they have been required to do onscreen ...

Griffin, thus far, has adhered to what most normal people would be okay with, particularly with his pleas for forgiveness. He was dressed down in a chapel before he could even finish his prayer! So, he falls under a real world moral code, but is completely violating what is the Port Charles moral code.

That's why these new characters aren't working: you have some characters that have to do worse than Sonny and them and then you have some characters that are insulted and mocked for being better people than Sonny and them.

When that is the standard, the rules for the writing this show, you're going to have very poor writing and stories because there are only but so many ways a viewer can twist and turn mentally to enjoy what GH has become.

• Love 3
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Kendall said:

Franco was created to be a foil to Jason, the bulk of his storyline was/is connected to Jason hating him and he torturing Jason. Jason is the "them" of Sonny and them. Sam is more often "them" than she is not. Franco loves Carly, that connects to Sonny. Franco has Michael raped in prison, that connects to Sonny. Franco tortured Sam, that connects to Jason and Sonny.

He's singing Rainbow Connection now, but that's after years of doing every dark and evil thing that "Sonny and Jason would never do". So, through his storyline Sonny and them didn't like him and most normal viewers wouldn't like him. So, using your example, my theory holds true.

I should have clarified, I am only talking about RH's Franco. He's had years of sympathetic writing. He saved Jason from drowning. He rescued Carly while everyone was falsely accusing him of kidnapping her. The singing with kids isn't a new thing. Sometimes they kind of touch on the "Franco is really just evil well" but not really.

Sonny sucks, but at the end of the day, I am willing to bet he has more fans than Franco. Which isn't saying much, but just saying Franco has to go first.

That's why these new characters aren't working: you have some characters that have to do worse than Sonny and them and then you have some characters that are insulted and mocked for being better people than Sonny and them.

Which new characters? Franco? Or people like Nathan who have really nothing to do with Sonny? Franco, imo, is not working because as you pointed out, Franco was an extremely one-dimensional strawman for Sonny/Jason. You can't make a serial killer/rapist a comedic character on a daily soap opera. But the reason that doesn't work isn't because of Sonny. If Franco had been focused on, say, Maxie back then, bringing him back as a comedic character would still not work.

Nathan, while I wouldn't say he has been a complete flop, isn't exactly setting the world on fire and he got a ton of airtime and POV in his first year. He just doesn't quite work because the actor is not good and charismatic. That has nothing to do with Sonny either. 

Yeah, but the show is clearly telling us that while Jason has a right to be mad, Franco really does have Liz and her son's best interests at heart.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6

In other news:

https://soaphub.com/general-hospital/general-hospital-fan-fave-jason-may-have-taken-an-entirely-different-turn/

“General Hospital” Head Writers Jean Passanante and Shelly Altman told the latest issue of Soaps in Depth that they seriously debated about whether Jason’s (Billy Miller) memories should return.

You don't say. I couldn't tell from the months after they started to write of delaying having his memory return.

“There was a temptation to say, ‘Let’s just create this whole new character,” Altman said. “But that wasn’t really fair or even honest.”

You don't say, part 2.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Which new characters? Franco? Or people like Nathan who have really nothing to do with Sonny? Franco, imo, is not working because as you pointed out, Franco was an extremely one-dimensional strawman for Sonny/Jason. You can't make a serial killer/rapist a comedic character on a daily soap opera. But the reason that doesn't work isn't because of Sonny. If Franco had been focused on, say, Maxie back then, bringing him back as a comedic character would still not work.

Nathan, while I wouldn't say he has been a complete flop, isn't exactly setting the world on fire and he got a ton of airtime and POV in his first year. He just doesn't quite work because the actor is not good and charismatic. That has nothing to do with Sonny either. 

I'll make this quick because if you don't see it, then I won't be able to point it out.

Nathan can't work because with a real world moral code, a cop is great and to be cheered. In Port Charles, he's a stumbling, bumbling, inept fool because if he were anything else ... Sonny would be arrested.

Nina can't work because she was initially brought on to be a foil to Sam, she of the Them category. She was made to be crazy, dishonest and vindictive to Sam's Sam. She then went onto take Ava's baby right out of the uterus. Now, with the real world moral code, she doesn't work and even with the PC moral code she doesn't. It's not that you can't take a child from their mother, as Sonny does it all the time, it's that you can't snatch Sonny's child out of a woman's uterus and take off.

Griffin was doing okay as the son of Duke with the PC moral code. He's on some shaky ground with all that giving Carlos his last rites and the ability to die in peace.

Jordan was allowed to be loved and respected by her son when she was working for Julian, but as soon as she was revealed as a cop, he couldn't stand her and moved in with Sonny.

I could go on, but perhaps, we are watching different GHs and I'm okay with that, so I won't keep talking about what I half-watch over here.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Kendall said:

I could go on, but perhaps, we are watching different GHs and I'm okay with that, so I won't keep talking about what I half-watch over here.

I changed my mind, I'm weak, heh. I'm going to be honest, I'm a little confused about what we're arguing about now. Are you saying that if Sonny was gone, Franco, et al, would have a better chance at being popular with the audience?

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Kendall said:

But anyway, there has always been a time when GH has tipped in one direction a little more than it should, but it was still justified by solid storytelling and balanced by an actual moral code that wasn't exclusive to the tiny world of PC, but the world in general, so a viewer could palate what was going on in Port Charles.

That's not happening right now, not with the new characters, not with the veteran characters, nor any characters not in the Corinthos Club.

1 hour ago, Kendall said:

Outside of anything Sonny, Nina and Franco violate the other point I made: they don't adhere to a moral code that the average viewer has, so what they have been required to do onscreen ...

When that is the standard, the rules for the writing this show, you're going to have very poor writing and stories because there are only but so many ways a viewer can twist and turn mentally to enjoy what GH has become.

I have said and provided examples of what I've said, but one more time.

When GH was more successful, it adhered to a moral code that the average viewer adhered to, a right and wrong that most people were aware of. GH slowly began to lose its success as it asked the viewer to adhere to what is now the Port Charles moral code: this gangster is the standard of behavior that is considered right and principled. When you go against this gangster, you break the moral code.

Forget Franco. Forget Nina. Forget any new character.

Robert Scorpio, Sean Donelly and Anna Devane could not be the characters they were, meaning top notch spies and commissioners under the current PC moral code. If they were, Sonny would've have been imprisoned years ago.

Robin Scorpio, an upright daughter of two upstanding cops, had/has no problem rationalizing the lives of Sonny and Jason. She's not a criminal, she just hangs around, dates, loves and supports criminals.

The show will never have good cops or DAs anymore because they'd imprison Sonny and Jason with airtight cases.

Characters won't be able to say, "Anna, Sonny, you two are out of control right now. Leave this room and let Carlos die in peace," because as wrong as Anna and Sonny were, Carlos, according to GH, was wronger. Did the word, "wronger" jump out at you? That's what Port Charles' moral code does when I look at it. It jumps out prominently and immediately, I see that it's incorrect.

I can't explain it any other way(s) than what I already have. If you don't get it, you don't get it and so I'll say, "I got it" and leave it alone.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kendall said:

Nathan can't work because with a real world moral code, a cop is great and to be cheered. In Port Charles, he's a stumbling, bumbling, inept fool because if he were anything else ... Sonny would be arrested.

Nina can't work because she was initially brought on to be a foil to Sam, she of the Them category. She was made to be crazy, dishonest and vindictive to Sam's Sam. She then went onto take Ava's baby right out of the uterus. Now, with the real world moral code, she doesn't work and even with the PC moral code she doesn't. It's not that you can't take a child from their mother, as Sonny does it all the time, it's that you can't snatch Sonny's child out of a woman's uterus and take off.

Griffin was doing okay as the son of Duke with the PC moral code. He's on some shaky ground with all that giving Carlos his last rites and the ability to die in peace.

Jordan was allowed to be loved and respected by her son when she was working for Julian, but as soon as she was revealed as a cop, he couldn't stand her and moved in with Sonny.

I agree that most of these characters don't work. But the thing is, generally, when that happens - the characters GO AWAY. They're written off. Nate, Nina and Franco are all front-burner contract characters and they're going to stay that way because they're beloved, not by the audience (or so last summer's ratings indicated), but by FV.

Last summer had months of record low ratings. Months. It was regularly trounced in the ratings in multiple categories by every other soap. That summer, not coincidentally, heavily featured the RC/FV favorites and imports. It also featured some spectacularly shitty writing by RC, for which he was justifiably fired. 

Nathan interacts very infrequently with Sonny, Jason, et. al. He hasn't been shown to be an incompetent police officer. RP is an incompetent actor. He does not project an inner life or intelligence. He does not connect with his scenes partners and he doesn't have chemistry with his love interest. He's less terrible than he was, but he is boring - not because he's a good guy and not because he's received unfavorable writing. He's had major story lines and he's about to have another (completely undeserved) one - but RP is not good at his job. The only time he's been off-screen for an appreciable amount of time was when he was working on another project. While he was gone, Maxie Jones had ZERO story. The same thing happened to Michael Corinthos/Quartermaine during TC's maternity leave. Two characters with deep ties and history with the show were completely sidelined because their newbie FVfav love interests were unavailable.  

I also agree that Nina doesn't work. But she's still here, paired with Soap Superstar RH and headed towards WDv's Julian while NLG is apparently going to lose her love interest. Nina, who was in a coma for 20 years, is the main focus and the owner and savior of the fashion magazine that Maxie actually knows how to run. Poor Nina, who ripped a baby out of someone, ended up with a love interest and screentime and is one of the few women on the show who gets to have a career. A career that she was magically good at! Despite making one stupid suggestion after another and knowing nothing about fashion, editing or behaving like an emotionally mature adult human. 

Ulkis has already stated the many reasons Franco does not work - but the point is, that that doesn't matter. He's not going anywhere because FV doesn't want him to. 

They're not being written badly to favor Sonny/Carly/Jason/Sam - with the exception of Franco, they're not even in stories with them. They're written badly because FV has hired a team of shitty writers and he refuses to replace those writers and has refused to get rid of any of the (badly conceived) characters who have suffered from that shitty writing and don't have goodwill established during time periods when GH had better writing.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 7
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Kendall said:

The show will never have good cops or DAs anymore because they'd imprison Sonny and Jason with airtight cases.

Characters won't be able to say, "Anna, Sonny, you two are out of control right now. Leave this room and let Carlos die in peace," because as wrong as Anna and Sonny were, Carlos, according to GH, was wronger. Did the word, "wronger" jump out at you? That's what Port Charles' moral code does when I look at it. It jumps out prominently and immediately, I see that it's incorrect.

I can't explain it any other way(s) than what I already have. If you don't get it, you don't get it and so I'll say, "I got it" and leave it alone.

The mob paradigm is a problem and I actually think RC was doing some good things w/r/t that problem when he started. The problem was that he replaced the mob with Franco and the fuckin League of Evil, added a plethora of "vapid little nothings" to the cast and turned half the decent characters in PC into assholes (Hi Johnny, Nik, Kate Liz, AJ!) because he likes writing dark characters.  Then he force-fed the audience non-stop, campy bullshit with a side of front-burner newbies. When the audience revolted (as exemplified by the months of record low ratings, FV got rid of RC (rightly so) but he kept all of the unpopular characters RC created. Sonny & Co are back in the spotlight because FV doesn't want to get rid of Tree/Franco/Nina/SilasHamiltonMcBain and he thinks of Sonny with the halo as a compromise.

FV is the showrunner. He decides what the show looks like. Right now, it looks like shit (literally (the sets) and figuratively (the tone)) because keeping his people employed and front-burner is more important than producing good episodes of General Hospital

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

In other news:

https://soaphub.com/general-hospital/general-hospital-fan-fave-jason-may-have-taken-an-entirely-different-turn/

“General Hospital” Head Writers Jean Passanante and Shelly Altman told the latest issue of Soaps in Depth that they seriously debated about whether Jason’s (Billy Miller) memories should return.

You don't say. I couldn't tell from the months after they started to write of delaying having his memory return.

“There was a temptation to say, ‘Let’s just create this whole new character,” Altman said. “But that wasn’t really fair or even honest.”

You don't say, part 2.

I think there was a way to create a whole new character while still giving him his memories back.  But I don't think these writers could have found that way with a flashlight, a map, GPS, and the hand of GOD guiding them.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

If TPTB wanted a brand new character, though, they shouldn't have recast Jason. 

No secret I despise Jason, but he is a long-term character with tons of history. There's no excuse for these hacks hemming and hawing about his memories. As Barenaked Ladies sang, "It's all been done" WRT Jason with a changed personality.

Either commit to the actual character - and maybe augment him with new experiences, but don't go "erasing" him, more or less.

Or don't freaking recast that specific character! It ain't brain surgery! Well, with these idiots, maybe it is...

• Love 5

Or, you know, since they love bringing new characters on and bringing on unknown children. ... Billy Miller could've  just been a son of AJ's that no one knew about and then the ELQ story wouldn't have gotten weird.  Or he could've been a Lucky recast.  Or even an AJ recast.  If I have to buy that he's a SBu replacement and that RoHo is James Franco, then I'll take it.  Shallow note, Billy Miller should be playing a businessman because he looks great in suits.   He works well with JE, LC, and CD.  I enjoy his exasperated faces at LW.  But in all honesty, now is the time for Frank to call SK.  Let RoHo go off and bicycle into the great beyond.   Make a new character months later if he really  has to, but kill Franco.  Let the new serial killer take  out the old one.  End the stupid Avery battle.  Give CD a story  before he's the next temp recast.  Seriously,  I'm not watching Chandler Massey smug his way as Michael.   

• Love 1
9 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

If TPTB wanted a brand new character, though, they shouldn't have recast Jason. 

I think there is story to be told in a Jason who remembers who he was but has no desire to be that person again.  Jason working his way back to being exactly who he was before (with the only change being a small sense of humor) and back to all of his old relationships is boring.  The Holy Hitman who never loses is as boring as it gets.  Why keep giving him reasons to be a better, more interesting character and keep going right back to same old, same old? 

• Love 8
(edited)

In the "What's better for the show: getting rid of Sonny or getting rid of Franco/Nina/FV's pets" debate I have to say I'm on the side who thinks they all need to go to really have a chance at making this show better. At the very least FV's pets need to just go and Sonny/his story needs to be drastically changed. Doing one or the other might help for a second, but it'll just go right back to being horrible very quickly. Although honestly with FV/these writers it'll probably go right back to sucking quickly even if they get rid of the pets and fix Sonny. So probably what actually needs to be done is firing at least FV if not FV and these writers.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6

I don't think Sonny is the first, second, third, fourth, or even fifth biggest problem with this show. I think most of these characters (except Franco) could serve some sort of purpose with decent writing and the appropriate amount of screen time. The biggest problem is that the writing is shit fore everything and everyone. Then there's the fact that characters created under the FV/RC regime are getting heavy screen time, to the determent of characters that have existed long before them. These new characters are being immediately shoved into front burner story, they're not well integrated into the canvas, and established characters are being saddled with them and trashed in the process.

If I were going to single out one character as needing to go immediately I would chose Franco over Sonny in a heartbeat. Sonny can be taken out of the mob. He can be given less screen time. His family can be given stories that don't involve him. Other characters can be allowed to express negative opinions of him. These are all things that can be implemented if the writers cared enough to do so. There's nothing that can be done to salvage Franco. So much of this show has been wrecked trying to making him work an it's never going to happen. 

I wouldn't be sad to see Sonny go but I don't think getting rid of him is going to fundamentally improve things. His screen time would go to newbies, MB's salary would be used to bring on even more characters, Julian/Ava/The Legion of Doom are still around to keep the crime rate high, and the writing would still be atrocious. All of the characters I hate could go tomorrow and the show would still be garbage because the writers don't know what they're doing. 

• Love 10

If Jean and Shelly are the ones on their way out, my dream scenario would be to just promote Liz Korte and have her (realistically) be the one to finish up the show. There are still people who would be upset by her "Carly rules, Liz drools" approach to writing*, but the show would have a much better chance of looking like its old self as it prepares to end, whenever that actually is. It's not like they have much more to lose now.

But I know this probably won't happen.

*LeftPhalange would love her! ;)

• Love 5

Bryan Craig celebrating the holiday weekend. None of these were edited by me, all graphics and words on the pictures were written and done by BC and KT from their snapchats. That said, there is about to be large curse word on the screen so warning not to scroll any further if it's not a good place to see it.

Screenshot_2016-05-29-01-58-181_zpswoqxe

KT in the car wearing a seatbelt. It's caption is "Celine" because they were singing the Titanic song. And when the lyrics "open the door!" came on . . . 

Screenshot_2016-05-29-02-01-231_zps38zia

BC opened the door while KT was driving. (when he did this you could hear her cry out "baby!!" in alarm)

Screenshot_2016-05-29-01-58-401_zpskxezs

Remember that time he got in a car accident and said he realized it was a good idea to wear a seatbelt? He probably just meant when other people run red lights, otherwise it's fine

Screenshot_2016-05-29-02-00-141_zpswdhgc

• Love 6