Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Plunge

So, the actress that plays Norma and the actress that plays sexy blond pot boss are the same age. Coincidence? I think not. She is the same age as your mother, Dylan, do you hear me?

Cody is so, so annoying. The actress is just too good at playing a disaffected Millenial brat. Good job, but get off my TV before I reach through the screen and strangle you with one of your gummy bracelets.

Speaking of actors being too good, hats off to Freddie Highmore! When Norman goes dark side he is truly scary.

• Love 1

Really? I had no idea. I thought sexy boss is supposed to be not much older than Dylan. I was surprised that a cartel boss would look so young, so that whole backstory about her parents leaving her the business was very necesscary.

The show does style her in a younger way and style Vera Farmiga in an older way.

I'm guessing she's more dangerous than she seems. Because how did she keep people like Gil in check? It's definitely clever of her to see that she can have Dylan's total loyalty and get him to do anything for her just by being a little nice to him. Man, now he has his work cut out for him. Make sure Zane doesn't do anything stupid? Tall order there.

It did come out really sad when Dylan told sexy boss that his family don't care about him. Aww... and then sexy boss totally tapped that. Saw that coming, except I thought it would take a couple more episodes to get there.

In other news, I get it now, the organized crime people are trying to set up Norma as their puppet politician. I wonder if Nick Ford and Christine Halston are on the same side or if they're in opposing cartels. Because it's gonna be awkward if Nick Ford wants her to vote one way and the Halstons want her to vote a different way.

• Love 1

Looks like Norman got a bit of Norma's mama bear protectiveness when it comes to Emma. I guess this is Norman's first confirmed kill, though seemingly by accident. Having him push a guy down the stairs is a nice movie reference.

I don't think things are going to end well for Cody. Norma is definitely in over her head with the town politics. I was half expecting sheriff guyliner to warn Norma about the Halstons, but instead he was all, "hey Norma, I like to watch."

Dylan's sexy times with the new boss probably aren't going to end well either, but I guess it beats getting hit by a car.

Cody is so, so annoying. The actress is just too good at playing a disaffected Millenial brat. Good job, but get off my TV before I reach through the screen and strangle you with one of your gummy bracelets.

I agree with this completely.  I was cheering when Norman went unhinged at her at the swimming hole. 

I am pretty bored with any and all goings-on with the pot business.  I love Dylan but I prefer watching him interact with his messed up family than whatever is going on with the various Zane type people, including Zane's sister.  *yawn*  Give me more crazy Norma!

(edited)

I would expect the weed cartel folks to be a little more secretive and I dunno, CAUTIOUS!  They are extremely trusting though, they bus in out of towners to peddle their crop to the locals and now Dylan, who has been in town about a year, is not only shacking up at the bosses house, getting a full tour of the secret growing lab and a full history of the business.  Oh yeah and now he's been promoted to super-secret underboss.  

I'm really hoping Cody is 1 of the 2 girls Norman probably kills.  Hated everything about her in this episode.

Just read on IMDB that Kathleen Robertson is starring in Murder in the First, debuting this summer.  Guess she's a love 'em and leave 'em kind of girl for Dylan.

Edited by whyjen8
  • Love 1

I’m assuming the show is going more by looks than actual age (of the actors) with the characters. (Lots of shows do it—check out the real ages of the PLL supposed teenage cast.) I realize that boss-lady is like a decade or more older than Dylan in real life, but I think on the show we are to believe she isn’t that much older than him. So I think the backstory of the parents is still relevant.   And since I knew Dylan was probably past due to get a love interest, I’m interested to see where this goes. I wish they would have had longer scenes together last night as there seems to be some chemistry there. She certainly gave him an “interesting” wake up call.  LOL @ “this isn’t personal” as well as Dylan’s expression when he said he was awake now.

Agree that Norma is being set up to be a political puppet, but I suspect that Nick Ford and Christine Halston are on the same side as Norma met him at Christine’s party.  Interesting though how the town is ruled by different fractions and the police and the mayor have limited authority.

I like that Emma and Norman are back to having a close friendship. I don't think they should be together. We all know how Norman will turn out, and I don't want that for Emma. Cody wants the best for Norman, I think she's very worried about him and that's why she told Emma about his blackouts. She's annoying definitely, but not bad. I thought for sure she was dead when Norman showed up at her house. Also, Norman's flashbacks in the closet were just brilliant.

Yay for a third season! I wasn't too sure that it would be renewed and I'm glad it was.

I’m assuming the show is going more by looks than actual age (of the actors) with the characters ... I realize that boss-lady is like a decade or more older than Dylan in real life, but I think on the show we are to believe she isn’t that much older than him.

You are probably right but it did make me wonder if they were sliding a little extra subliminal mommy squickiness into a show already RIFE with it.

Also, although the internet claims Kathleen Robertson and Vera Farmiga were both born in 1973, that does not mean it's true. I have always been skeptical about Farmiga's age, I think she shaves a few years off. I would put her more at 46 or 47 than at 40.

The hottest couple on the show--possibly anywhere on TV--are Norma Bates and Sheriff Suddenly Susan. Every time they have a scene together, Maid has to fan me with a violet-scented hankie.

Lol. True. That business aboout the see through curtains! Hot!

We'll see how this plays out, but right now, I don't think Norman's freak-out over Emma's accident is out of any kind of romantic feelings.  I do think he truly cares for her and might even love her, but not in a romantic or sexual way.  I do think maybe he considers her more family, since he did say that telling her about the blackouts was almost akin to telling Norma/his mom.  Either way, I do think that this closeness spells bad things for Emma, come endgame time.  I hope not, since I really like her, but I do think there is a good chance she will have a tragic ending, by the end of all this.

Norma as a councilwoman is just awesome.  I can not wait to see how that plays out.  But it looks like her dealing with Nick Ford might not be done, despite her attempts.  And I'm still wondering what is going down with her new BFF and her brother.  Continue to love Norma/Romero. Having Romero at the hotel is just a great idea to get him more involved.

Now, it's Dylan's turned to get some action.  On one hand, it's with his boss, who just happens to run a dangerous, violent weed business.  On the other hand, it's Kathleen Robertson...

So, it looks like Norman just killed Cody's dad.  Obviously, it looks like an accident, but I'm sure this is going to stir up a hornet's nest.

Also, although the internet claims Kathleen Robertson and Vera Farmiga were both born in 1973, that does not mean it's true. I have always been skeptical about Farmiga's age, I think she shaves a few years off. I would put her more at 46 or 47 than at 40.

Agree that KR looks younger than VF. KR looks good for 40, she could easily pass for 30. VF--not so much. But then maybe it's the clothing and the "mother" vibe. I guess we'll see if they reveal KR's age on the show to see if they are going for any kind of subliminal thing with Dylan and an older woman. But she dresses younger and puts off a younger vibe so for now I'm leaning towards her only supposed to be a few years older than Dylan.  Would be nice if they'd give us the character's name in the meantime. I wonder if Dylan got it before she crawled in his bed. ;-)

(edited)

Her name is Jodi! According to the A&E website. I am going to guess that KR has had a little work done also, which would contribute to her looking younger than VF, who I think is mostly au naturel.

http://www.aetv.com/bates-motel/cast/kathleen-robertson

Anyway, they both are good looking women, it doesn't really matter, I just thought it was interesting that Dylan's mother and Dylan's love/sex interest are played by actresses the same age.

Emma is adorable, I really hope her and her cardigans make it through this series alive.

Also - why does Michael Vartan look so different? Has he been ill?  I didn't recognize him when I first saw him, and I very familiar with his previous work.

Edited by Tech Noir

The hottest couple on the show--possibly anywhere on TV--are Norma Bates and Sheriff Suddenly Susan. Every time they have a scene together, Maid has to fan me with a violet-scented hankie.

Two thumbs up for "Sheriff Suddenly Susan". I'd forgotten he was on that show.

Anyway, I can't explain it, but this show is consistently getting better. Norman is getting creepier and while I don't like Norma, I still find her strangely fascinating. Her awkward chuckle and the look of "Oh, fuck..." on her face during the scene in the mayor's office when he was telling her that nobody crosses a man like Nick Ford was so subtle yet hilarious. 

I suspect that Nick Ford and Christine Halston are on the same side as Norma met him at Christine’s party

Oh right! I forgot about that already!

Dylan, who has been in town about a year, is not only shacking up at the bosses house, getting a full tour of the secret growing lab and a full history of the business.  Oh yeah and now he's been promoted to super-secret underboss.

I think after what Dylan did, it's pretty clear he's not an undercover cop or anything like that. Nothing says loyalty like stepping in front of a speeding car to shoot at people who tried to kill your boss.

But yeah, having no sense of self-preservation is not proof that he can handle a super secret management position. Don't they have anyone else in the entire organization who can keep idiot Zane in check? No? Just Dylan (who by the way looked nervous at being assigned this new task, but he can't exactly say no, can he)? this is one of those things that makes it hard for me to take this drug cartel all that seriously. With Nick Ford AND Sheriff Romero as enemies, they're so going down. As much as I like Dylan, I wouldn't bet on him against those two.

I'm actually most interested in what's going to happen to Dylan, more than what's going to happen to Norma and Norman. Even though I love them all.

Her name is Jodi! According to the A&E website. 

Thanks! I think IMDB just lists her as “Zane’s sister!”

Two thumbs up for "Sheriff Suddenly Susan". I'd forgotten he was on that show.

As a former Lost watcher, I still see him as Richard Alpert or the man who never aged. lol

I'm actually most interested in what's going to happen to Dylan, more than what's going to happen to Norma and Norman. Even though I love them all.

Same here. I think I have to chalk some of it up to his adorable face and how good he looks shirtless!  But I am definitely interested to see get more background and see where this is going. For example, were Zane and Jodi’s parents killed as part of the drug family fight? Is Jodi the only person at the top? She already gives off a “lonely” vibe so I hope to see her connect more with Dylan who is often shut out of his own family. There is plenty of potential there.

Freddie Highmore is so great playing Norman.  Love watching him.  Cannot stand Cody and I'm guessing her father is dead?  Dylan is so cute and Kathleen Robertson looks amazing.  Can't wait for next week.

It's still kinda weird for me to see Claire Arnold on Bates Motel. Maybe she'll grow on me.

I was creeped out when Norman was playing with the scarf when Norma talked about the other guy helping her. Rolling it up in a tight ball - very tense. 

Of course, I'm always creeped out when they end up on the bed together. It's just wrong on so many levels seeing a husband wife dynamic between a mother and son. But that's one of the reasons he turns out the way he does. 

Norma sabotaging the driving test made me feel really bad for Norman. Granted, he shouldn't be driving because of the blackouts, but it was important to him. I don't know if she did it out of genuine concern for his well-being and those on the road or because the blackouts are not so secret anymore. 

I like Cody for one reason. She slept with him. It's weird, but I kept thinking, "Yeah, keep doing normal teenage stuff, Norman." Like somehow he'll become normal. I know. That ain't happening.

It was sweet seeing Norman become all protective of Emma, even though he went a little too ballistic. 

• Love 1
Norma sabotaging the driving test made me feel really bad for Norman. Granted, he shouldn't be driving because of the blackouts, but it was important to him. I don't know if she did it out of genuine concern for his well-being and those on the road or because the blackouts are not so secret anymore.

Poor Norma. No matter what she does, whether for good reasons or bad, invariably blows up in her face. She is the Toonces, the Driving Cat of Moms.

• Love 2

I don't think Norman's freak-out over Emma's accident is out of any kind of romantic feelings.  I do think he truly cares for her and might even love her, but not in a romantic or sexual way.  I do think maybe he considers her more family

Let's just think about that statement for a moment.

My husband was really tired when we watched this last night, so he was incredibly quiet, but at one point he said, "I'm ready for Norma to kill someone again."

I loved how angry and protective Norman got over Emma. I don't want them to hook up but I missed their friendship from the first season.

Freddie Highmore is truely creepy in this role. It's no wonder Cody actually got scared and decided to tell someone about his murdery looking blackouts. I wonder what she'll think now that he killed her dad. Of course that was kind of self defence, that guy attacked Cody and him. 

New drug boss lady is probably more than she seems, to be able to run all those guys she's got be scarier than all of them. I kind of like that she runs it more like the wizard behind the curtain. Nick Ford is the head of the other drug cartel right? And which one does Cupcake boy work, Dylan's? That town really loves their weed. Is that the only drug they export?

I wonder if George is going to be the boyfriend Norman kills with his mother.

Edited by Sakura12
I kind of like that she runs it more like the wizard behind the curtain. Nick Ford is the head of the other drug cartel right? And which one does Cupcake boy work, Dylan's?

That's a great analogy!  I'm wondering if brother Zane is going to be put off by Dylan getting nightly visits from the great oz or if he won't care now that Dylan saved his life.   

Yes, Cupcake boy works for Dylan's employer and Nick Ford heads the other drug cartel.

I don't mind the drug business plot simply because it's a world-building thing. It gives me a sense that this is an actual town even if it's driven by drug money. But, I think this much of it per show is just about right. There's enough going on with Norma/Norman that they should be mostly featured. 

I don't have a problem with Cody because it seems like the dad beats her a lot and she's acting out to other adults as a result. Plus, she looked like she was going to cry when Norman yelled at her. It was a good call to tell Emma about the blackouts. 

I'm pretty psyched about how they're going to deal with the dad. I hope they get away with it. Though in this case, "Cody's dad started beating her so I tried to intervene, got punched in the face and then pushed him and he fell," is a pretty good defense. 

What I liked about the whole thing from the lake to the end, was that Norman was just pissed off and things got out of hand. Nothing psycho or "Mother." But that's the problem, when you're in this weird, creepy town, it sucks you in. Norma's not going to pack up and leave and she's not going to get him real help, so he's kind of screwed. 

So the show really took the "more shirtless people" request seriously didn't it.

It's so sad that Norma is being used and she doesn't even know it. Or maybe she does deep down but doesn't want to think about it. Nick Ford and the siblings are part of the same cartel? Because Norma didn't tell Nick about her intentions of running but he still gave her an endorsement.

They've been adding a lot of undertones to the Norma - Sheriff Eyeliner relationship. I also liked the subtle jealousy in Norman's part when Norma is telling him about Greg.

Olivia Cooke is better at hiding her accent than Freddie, but wow, Freddie can bring the creepy. There's even something off-putting about blacked out Norman. I too would have gotten the hell out of there after pissing Norman off like that. Even if it was a justified freak out.

The Norman-Emma friendship hasn't crossed over to creepy yet, and I like that. 

I think somewhere along the lines she realized she was being used but she really does NOT want that bypass to happen! She'll probably try to get out from their grasp after she succeeds in stopping it and then she will really see that she has no control and is just a puppet. But I hope that they don't delve too far into the political story lines (see Nashville) or it'll become boring.

Ha, ha, ha:

Norma: Hey, Sheriff Romero, I wanted to ask you something.

Sheriff: Yeah?

N: Can I call you by your name? It's a little stupid at this point-- "Hey, Sheriff Romero!" I've never seen you in a suit.

Sheriff: Yeah, I'm on my way to testify at the Kyle Miller hearing... So, that's what you wanted to ask me? ... Yeah, you can call me 'Alex'.