Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Sunny's giant slinky ring was ridiculous, but Marcella's earrings and KL's dress were worse. Where did KL think she was going on the day of taping? That looked like something you'd wear on a date with a very hot significant other or to an upscale beach party. And Marcella's earrings were previously attached to grandma's throw pillows. Yikes. Thanks, Marcella, for pointing out YET AGAIN that you were drinking apple cider instead of the cocktail. I had no idea you are pregnant. At least Sunny's make up didn't glow in the dark.

And oh dearie me, that Christmas cake was laughable. Who in the hell has time to make a cake with that little pay off? All that crappy icing and then candy spilling out?! Please, people, if you want drama to impress guests, take the time this would have used and attempt a real dessert. Or even run to your bakery and buy a lovely buche de Noel. What a waste of time and ingredients this was. 

@SuzyLee is right....the crafts segment is worse than a Pinterest board. That chicken wire tree to clip cards to wouldn't hold ten cards and, well, why? Why would you make that crap when there are hundreds of cuter alternatives to display cards? The 3M hooks on a wall with balls on it? That was downright embarrassing. If they are going to continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel, just pull the plug on this or make it only a half hour show. We don't need a craft segment and although I love my cocktails, I can create my own. Just stick to cooking. We really don't believe that you guys make these crappy crafts at home.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I also thought that Sunny's giant spring ring was the dumbest thing possible to wear while chopping vegetables.

Yuck, that was so gross.  I will never understand why these cooking show stylists think that crap is okay.  It skeeves me out when I see my sister cooking with glittery, multi-colored, one-inch talons.  I sure as hell don't want to see it on a cooking show.  I wonder what ever happened to TV cooks with neatly trimmed, clear-polished fingernails, but then I remember that these are the same people who think Sunny looks good in sewage-green lipstick.

• Love 4

Does anyone like that Christmas tree cake?  It just seemed like too much of everything to me - too much cake (and waste), too much work, too much candy, too much frosting - I would rather take the time to make nice cupcakes.  

that Christmas tree cake segment was HILARIOUS. In a so-bad-it's-good kind of a way. What a horrible idea and yet there they were, Jeff ActLikeADumbass Mauro and the guest, Ms. Shaky, spinning through the 1,256 steps you had to go through to get to ... a really stupid-looking result. BEST (i.e. worst) CRAFT EVER!!!

I really love to hate this show.

• Love 1

My DVR somehow recorded a couple of episodes from 2014 and WOW were Sunny and Jeff more tolerable back then than now!  I hate FN, it makes most of their stars into gross caricatures of themselves.  Somehow GZ, Katie Lee and Marcella have not changed so much.

• Love 4

Today's episode: wow, that was a lot of cream cheese and canned cheese (yuck!) to make that cheese and cracker house. And I mean a LOT. Why not just do one of Ina's gorgeous cheese platters? But like the ridiculous icing laden tree from last week, who has time to make that thing, or rather, why would you want to? There is no way in the world I am buying cheese in a spray can. I know it was being used as a binder for the shingles but it must have some awful artificial taste.

I guess if you've never made prime rib then this show did show how super simple it is, so there's that. And I would think that everyone has a scalloped potatoes recipe but I've never done the sage infused cream. I might try that. 

Katie Lee's outfit was puzzling. A plaid blouse with sequined collar and totally sequined pants or skirt or whatever that was. She looked super skinny in it and was not flattering. However Marcella's maternity dress was adorable.

• Love 1

So today we got an ad for Crate and Barrel... can't wait to see who is getting air time next week. And the Cheese House... ugh. GZ must die inside a little bit during these segments. Like being Katie's assistant wasn't enough during prime rib segment wasn't enough. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Today's episode: wow, that was a lot of cream cheese and canned cheese (yuck!) to make that cheese and cracker house. And I mean a LOT. Why not just do one of Ina's gorgeous cheese platters? But like the ridiculous icing laden tree from last week, who has time to make that thing, or rather, why would you want to? There is no way in the world I am buying cheese in a spray can. I know it was being used as a binder for the shingles but it must have some awful artificial taste.

Was that supposed to be eaten? I mean, they reinforced that it was edible But it was just a big lump of cream cheese with other types of cheeses hidden behind crackers and breadsticks.  But certainly not enough cracker-type material to consume all that cheese.

• Love 1

The cracker and cheese house baffled me - I get that it is edible; but, I can't really see it at a nice holiday party because it is just so "crafty" for lack of a better way to describe.  Plus, I can't really see guests reaching out with their hands and tearing that thing apart to eat.  Gross. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Was that supposed to be eaten? I mean, they reinforced that it was edible But it was just a big lump of cream cheese with other types of cheeses hidden behind crackers and breadsticks.  But certainly not enough cracker-type material to consume all that cheese.

Agreed. If I'm going to go to the expense of buying cheese, crackers, pepperoni and other things, I'm going to put them out so my guests can enjoy them without having to pry them off cheese ball blocks and make a mess.

I fast forwarded thru the Crate and Barrel advertorial. My family uses paper plates and a disposable tablecloth. Grandma has 20+ of us for dinner, so the easier the cleanup, the better. She's 80 and doesn't have time to wash 20 people's worth of dishes, bowls, chargers and silverware.  The pots and pans to feed us are enough!

• Love 2

Agreed, that was a hot mess. They really need to stop with the stupid crafts that someone obviously showed them how to do right before the show. It's called "The Kitchen" not "The Craft Show".  Was that also the one with the actress, Regina King? I wasn't sure why she was on except that she loves the show and knew how to put frozen fruit in champagne glasses to keep the champagne cold. Wow. Who would have thought of that?  And of course, as always, Sunny and Jeff were YELLING throughout the entire show. I can't even tolerate this anymore although I keep trying for some reason. I love Ina!

• Love 3
On 12/4/2016 at 6:35 PM, Gam2 said:

Agreed, that was a hot mess. They really need to stop with the stupid crafts that someone obviously showed them how to do right before the show. It's called "The Kitchen" not "The Craft Show".  Was that also the one with the actress, Regina King? I wasn't sure why she was on except that she loves the show and knew how to put frozen fruit in champagne glasses to keep the champagne cold. Wow. Who would have thought of that?  And of course, as always, Sunny and Jeff were YELLING throughout the entire show. I can't even tolerate this anymore although I keep trying for some reason. I love Ina!

I love Ina too.. from her house to the way she decorates her table and presents her food.. just simple and elegant. No breakfast nachos or cheese house there lol

• Love 1

Are there any original ideas on this show anymore? Katie's hot chocolate bread pudding was lifted straight from Pinterest and the Shotski is used every Wednesday on Andy Cohen's "watch what happens live"... by the way Jeff'S chicken was raw when he cut into it.. I can't 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Mammalou said:

Are there any original ideas on this show anymore? Katie's hot chocolate bread pudding was lifted straight from Pinterest and the Shotski is used every Wednesday on Andy Cohen's "watch what happens live"... by the way Jeff'S chicken was raw when he cut into it.. I can't 

Phew, I thought I was seeing things when Jeff was slicing his chicken because I saw undercooked while all the hosts were crowing about how tender & perfect it was. The recipe says to cook the chicken for 50 minutes at 400. Ina uses 425 for 90 minutes for her perfect roast chicken. I wonder if a longer cooking time would have helped Jeff's bird? I'm really intrigued by the bundt pan idea because I hate how liquidy roasted chicken can sometimes get so I wanted to see this one succeed. 

• Love 1

I agree about being worried to cook chicken Jeff's way on the bundt pan. This year we decided to do our holiday meals backwards and did tenderloin for Thanksgiving and are doing a chicken and dressing for Christmas...just wanted to be different. Anyway, I was going to do Ina's roast chicken but when I saw the bundt idea, I thought I'd consider it. When I saw how undercooked it was, I am backing off and staying with my tried and true Ina. @sabretooth, be sure to use a roasting rack and it won't get liquidy, or it never has for me. Maybe you do use one.

On another note, hurry and go on maternity leave, Marcella. and Sunny, give your stylist a kiss and a bonus for not doing you up in glow in the dark colors.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Automne said:

I don't keep up with this show, so I'm a little surprised to see Marcella so pregnant again. Didn't she just have a baby and come back from maternity leave?

Yes, she gave birth in April(2015), hopefully her ass don't come back to the show this time! ??

Edited by Yolo
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Yeah, but April of 2015.  One in April and one in December of the same year would be pretty close to a medical miracle.  ;o)

I changed it. Lol

• Love 2

Did this show really just tell me to store my holiday lights on one of those giant outdoor garden hose reels? 

And someone should tell the hosts to have a snack or something before the show, they all act like they haven't eaten in weeks. 

• Love 3
On 12/10/2016 at 0:17 PM, Mammalou said:

OMG, I can't believe I'm going to defend The Kitchen but I think I'm going to defend The Kitchen.  Yes, Andy uses shotski but he didn't invent it.  This was showing us how to make one.  I never considered making one so the fact that you could surprised me.

And I don't think Jeff's chicken was raw. It looked more like the pink of being roasted than the pink of being raw.

1 hour ago, Maya said:

Did this show really just tell me to store my holiday lights on one of those giant outdoor garden hose reels? 

Yep.  And those can't be cheap. It also ignores that one of the problems with lights is that the lights themselves get tangled up in one another which makes it hard to unroll.

I am a regular watcher of this show (why, I have no idea). But I never felt the need to post about it, because you all captured what I've thought. People I used to like, such as Sunny and Jeff, have become unwatchable. But every once in awhile, I feel inspired to try something they made on air. I made Sunny's Sage Scalloped Potatoes for Christmas and wow, were they a hit. I'm not a potato fan in general, and dislike scalloped potatoes specifically. Reminds me of that velveeta abomination that my mother used to make. But these were great. Best thing I've ever made from this show. 

• Love 3

Re: the "lazy" brunch ideas, does this show really need to separate out their lazy ideas?  I mean, let's be real here.  This entire show is one big crapfest of laziness, lifts directly from Pinterest, shouting, and ravenous eating every five minutes.

Jeff needs to take a Valium before each show.  He clearly thinks his schtick is charming and endearing, but it's becoming more off-putting with every season.  He was at his very worst during the segment with the lady who keeps a daily meal diary, complete with plate diagrams (teehee).   As dumb as I thought that was, I felt sorry for her when Jeff was basically shitting all over her entire concept before she'd even started cooking.

I guess the one blessing here is that Marcella will be on yet another maternity leave in the new year (until the next baby, of course).  "As you can see, I won't be partaking in the whiskey-cheesecake-pretzel balls because I'm pregnant!"  *simpering glance at camera*

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 5

@SuzyLee, yes, Marcella was simpering the entire episode. What a good description! And I have news for her. I have made brunch strata for about, oh, 25 years. You don't even need a recipe. I do mine in a large casserole dish but I guess a bundt pan would work. We love our potatoes so I usually thaw some hash browns on paper towels then pat dry and put in with the egg mixture. Regarding the gravy, I would have made a sausage milk gravy that we make in the south, not a gravy that you put chicken stock in. And that fruit platter started out gorgeous but Marcella kept heaping up the pistachios, coconut, pomegranate seeds on it. A light sprinkling would have been fine but for me, it's all about the fruit. I like KL's champagne parfait but I would have put it in a larger mouth glass rather than a flute. Jeff was so rude and childish to the guest. I, too, didn't understand the idea of keeping a meal diary but to each his own. I wish the lady had slapped Jeff. Why don't the producers do something about him? Oh, and the toast bar...just stupid, IMHO. On the bright side, Marcella is going on maternity leave. This is a good time to replace her with a new host. Adios, mama!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Why don't the producers do something about him?

I haven't seen today's episode yet, so I don't know specifically what asshole moves he pulled, but in general I think the producers do do something about him--they encourage him to act like a schmuck.

People here have been saying for a long time that the goal has been to make this show more like The Chew--all the shouting and hysterics and lately all the crafts projects.  I'd never watched that, so I couldn't say if I agreed or not.  This past week I watched every day, and now I totally agree.  I know that lots of posters really like The Chew, but I find it almost as annoying as The Kitchen.  Maybe more annoying, since I was familiar with The Kitchen before it started getting over-the-top obnoxious.  My advice to The Kitchen is, if you're going to try to imitate another show, imitate something good.

• Love 1

I guess I'm in the minority -- I really, really enjoy The Kitchen.  I very much like 4 of the 5 hosts (can't abide Marcella) and love their camaraderie and different personalities.  The crafts are the only part that I truly wish the producers would eliminate -- they are always, always cheesy and cheap and almost no one would ever tackle them.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

I guess I'm in the minority -- I really, really enjoy The Kitchen.  I very much like 4 of the 5 hosts (can't abide Marcella) and love their camaraderie and different personalities.  The crafts are the only part that I truly wish the producers would eliminate -- they are always, always cheesy and cheap and almost no one would ever tackle them.  

Agreed. I watch it every week and enjoy it. But when they get to the "crafts" ... sorry, it's time for me to go do that "thing" I'm supposed to do ...

• Love 2

Ok -- if you told me I had to go share a meal with Jeff Mauro -- I might opt to sit at the children's table.  My chances of adult company would be greater that way!  I really do like Jeff when he isn't acting like a big goofball and I believe he has real skills; however, the OTT clowning around and being silly really gets to me.  I assume it is largely producer driven.  Why the producers of these shows think the viewers want or need that is a mystery to me. 

The guest with the meal diary - I admire she has kept it up for so long and it probably is more of a walk down memory lane and just something she likes to do.  She said it doesn't have recipes so only means something to her.  I kind of wish she hadn't brought it along and for sure wish she hadn't let Jeff look at it - she ended up acting embarrassed.  Her pancake cake looked really pretty. 

What was up with Sunny coming late and bringing the booze - are we supposed to believe that she was at the liquor store in line that whole time?  Just a dumb story line and not necessary. 

• Love 1

When I first knew of Marcella, I didn't care too much for her, mainly because of a magazine profile of her and her somewhat racy lifestyle with men.  Since that time, and in greet part because of The Kitchen, I've come not only to like her, but she's my favorite.  As NikSac said (above), she is natural and seems to be what you see.  She really knows her way around food and in the culinary arts in general.  Often, she will answer a question that no one else can.  I hope she stays with the FN for a long time.

On 12/31/2016 at 11:13 AM, SuzyLee said:

"As you can see, I won't be partaking in the whiskey-cheesecake-pretzel balls because I'm pregnant!"  *simpering glance at camera*

....while rubbing the belly.

On 12/31/2016 at 8:33 PM, LazyToaster said:

Her pancake cake looked really pretty. 

I hate to criticize the guests but I think that pancake cake was pretty dumb. It wasn't a cake. It was a stack of pancakes.  That's it.  With fruit on top but not enough fruit for all of the pancakes. A crepe cake has pastry cream in between the layers.  Unless I missed something, there was nothing in between the pancakes.

• Love 1

That "cake" was ridiculous. I'm sure people would rather eat hot pancakes as soon as they're done than wait for someone to make 20 more pancakes so that they could stack them and call it a "cake." 

• Love 3

I hope someone else saw Sunny the other day aand commiserated with me.  She wore light purple lipstick and matching eye shadow.  Looked frightful!!!  Sometimes I wonder whether she's naturally the way she seems or whether she's on something.  IMHO, she needs to SETTLE DOWN!!!  SO DOES HER SIDEKICK FROM Chicago (TO A LESSER DEGREE).

• Love 2

Even with all the hollering and mugging (mostly I am looking at you, Hollering and Mugging Jeff Mauro) and the hideous makeup choices by Sunny (plus hollering), I would still rather watch this stupid show than the 1,589 cooking competition shows on this network.

That being said, Jeff was in overdrive on the last episode where they were cooking supposedly "healthier" foods. The sing-song-y cutesy hollering delivery of every line! UGH.

• Love 6

Sunny is way too over the top.  She gets on my last nerves.  She is worse when she is a judge on other shows.  She wasn't this way when she had her own show but i guess since that failed a produces must've told her to amp up the sass and over the top attitude.  When I see her loud self on promos, I cringe.  It makes me not want to watch the show.

• Love 3

I try to avoid this show.  It is such a cheap imitation of "The Chew".  They try too hard to be witty and it is so forced.  The personalities just don't mesh.  I guess when you throw people together with failed shows, this is what you should expect.

• Love 5

About six months ago, I actually took the time to write to the FN about Sunny and her screaming.  I heard nothing back.  I know they're aware that people are unhappy with Sunny's loudness, but they don't seem to care to do anything about it.  There are things I like about Sunny -- her creativity, her wit -- but her presentation leaves a lot to be desired.  The Kitchen can be a fairly good show (on some days), but Sunny can easily ruin it for me.

• Love 2

About six months ago, I actually took the time to write to the FN about Sunny and her screaming.  I heard nothing back.

Huh. Recently I contacted HGTV to complain about something, and I got 2 emails - first was an automated "do not reply" saying the information had been received. The second was from a person saying they were passing my concerns to the programming department.

Interesting, Katie complimented Sunny's lipstick.  It was a much better color than she usually wears but it was still atypical of this show.

And why did she make whipped cream with a whisk while never mentioning a hand mixer?  Sure, you can use a whisk but a hand mixer is easier than five minutes of vigorous whisking.  The bowl doesn't even need to be that cold to make it work.

Did none of these famous chefs really not know what tiramisu meant in Italian?  I find that hard to believe.

• Love 1

I thought Sunny looked so lovely today. Those colors were gorgeous on her. Gotta diss on her poached eggs, though. The one she put into the water looked awful and they never showed it again. But they did show her re-heating the previously-made, perfectly shaped egg and plopping it on toast for Jeff. Maybe my imagination but I thought GZ seemed a bit "over it" with Jeff. What was it, maybe the poached pears,that Jeff came over to act goofy and GZ gave him a look and then actually held his elbow off at a distance. Can't wait to see the crappy crafts they do for super bowl parties.

Coincidentally, I watched Lidia's Kitchen today on PBS and she did poached eggs two ways. One simmered in marinara sauce and served on toasted sourdough (slurp) and then on a frisée mushroom salad.  I will definitely try the marinara sauce version. That sounds awesome for a light lunch with a glass of red wine with extra bread to sop up the sauce and egg yolk. The other dish also looked fab, but I am not buying all those exotic mushrooms for just me.

Edited by Spunkygal
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Those colors were gorgeous on her. Gotta diss on her poached eggs, though. The one she put into the water looked awful and they never showed it again.

Yeah I forgot to mention this.  Her little "trick" for making poached eggs without stirring just did not work. I think it might eventually but she needs to let it cook a little longer before she dumps it in. And we saw it wasn't forming when they showed her reheating the previously poached eggs.  I'm surprised they didn't reshoot it.  It's not like this show is live.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Mammalou said:

Jeff was a little short tempered with Katie when she was 'helping' make the tiramisu.. he was having none of her questions or attempts to offer help.. awkward!! 

Katie seemed pissed!

When GZ was making the coq au vin, I didn't understand why he strained all the liquid out of the vegetables, only to dump both the liquid and vegetables into the pot one second later. Unless I wasn't paying attention and missed something, which is entirely possible. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Maya said:

When GZ was making the coq au vin, I didn't understand why he strained all the liquid out of the vegetables, only to dump both the liquid and vegetables into the pot one second later. Unless I wasn't paying attention and missed something, which is entirely possible. 

Because the chicken is marinated in the wine liquid overnight.  You drain it out, flour it and put it in the bacon fat to sear.  Then they put the marinating liquid back with the chicken to finish cooking.

I watched The Kitchen Sink today.  That was something else.  

• Love 1

I did laugh yesterday when the first thing Katie said was "Sunny, you look great today. I love your lipstick". Don't tell me that they don't read all of our snark!! Although her tri-colored glittery nail polish made me cringe when she was cooking. All I could think of was that stuff getting into the food. Yuck. I think professional chefs/anyone on a cooking program should have short, CLEAN nails with pale or clear polish. God knows what's under those long or fake nails. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I watched The Kitchen Sink today.  That was something else.  

And something I hope to never see again.  What the Hell was that?  Tregaye was the calmest out of the 3.  What was the dumbass shirt Jeff was wearing?  And who the was that Fanny/Franny/whatever lady?  Something about her was totally offputting.  So they plop their next "star" into a pre-existing show and then round out the cast with some nobody who didn't have to go through make a buffoon out of yourself gauntlet?   And the food they prepared.   Look, I'm no gourmand (I think fried Oreos are genius) but even I wouldn't eat most of that shit.  Stay classy, Food Network   Stay classy.

• Love 6