Type keyword(s) to search

What Will Happen: The Speculation Thread

I thought we could use this space to throw out our crazy ideas on what might be happening next. I used the No Spoilers tag to mean that we wouldn't post leaked details about episodes that haven't aired yet. But in discussing theories, there will, of course, be mention of plot details from episodes that have already aired.

Here's my current theory: Rowan is in on this terrorist plot with Maya/Maria because he wants to take down Fitz. Helping Olivia stop B6-13 gives Maya some breathing room to pull this thing off. Supporting evidence: 1) Huck thought Rowan had set them up; I'm inclined to believe him in not trusting Papa Pope. 2) The way he said he wouldn't "touch a hair on [Fitz's] head" and his general slyness about the whole thing. 3) His previous scheming with Leo to keep Fitz from being elected. 3b) I really don't see him putting aside his anger at Fitz/his belief that Fitz is bad for the Republic. 4) The dinner visit from Maya and the almost knife fight felt forced/staged to me. Maybe it was set up to make sure Olivia didn't become suspicious. 

So I know this is a stretch, but it's just a feeling I got this episode. Thoughts? Other theories you guys have?

• Love 1

I agree about Mama and Papa Pope being in on this together to rid the world of Fitz and of course, for their daughter's sake too.

I just have a feeling that the only one who is going to be hurt by this plot is Mellie.  An injured Mellie gives Fitz the WH back again (sympathy) and another excuse why Fitz can't divorce her (even though I think he really doesn't want to). 

I'd love to know how they are going to keep Sally in this, I'd hate to see her go. 

I just have a feeling that the only one who is going to be hurt by this plot is Mellie.  An injured Mellie gives Fitz the WH back again (sympathy) and another excuse why Fitz can't divorce her (even though I think he really doesn't want to). 

I could see her being injured and Andrew being killed. Then Fitz would get a new VP candidate, and Mellie would have a really miserable life. At this point, I feel like the writers are cruel enough to do this. :(

I was thinking more along the lines that the event with the bomb is something the Grant kids would attend, young Gerry would be injured and somehow the truth about his possible paternity would be revealed, sending Fitz into a tailspin. Agree that Andrew seems like total canon fodder redshirt material. 

Poor Andrew - yeah, he is definitely in the line of fire. 

I wouldn't put it past to have Mellie and Andrew give in one more time and get blown up for it.  Cause you know - them cheating is bad but the other two are dark and twisty love (SR's favorite) so what they do is all good. 

I guess if Andrew is James'd, they can have Sally go back to Futz for the good of the country and we are all back to where we started from.  

Except for well, Mellie being completely destroyed - yay.   

Just blew through all three seasons on Netflix and have been contemplating where the show can/should go from here... I actually think Andrew may stick around for a while, if only because he's one of the few back stories they haven't flushed out yet. If they maintain the format of mixing present day events with flashbacks, I think there are a limited number of current characters who have either gaps in their backstory, or largely unexplored pasts which could impact the present. I'd list them as:

Abby- We've heard about her abusive marriage, and know her husband is still prominent enough to have been at the dinner she failed to attend with David. I think they've been holding the ex-Mr. in reserve, and season 4 seems like a good time for him to pop up and complicate things for Abby/David and possibly the White House. The bonus is that some sort of problem/danger for Abby is a legit reason to lure Olivia back from her sunshine. (If Harrison's death isn't enough. That seems like the easiest out on the whole "new life" scenario for Olivia.)

Andrew - Total cipher. We know that he has never been married and it was strongly implied that Mellie is his "lost chance" at marrying for love. But there's a LOT of back story that could be explored with very few limits placed on it from exposition about his character. I actually hope that they show him strongly conflicted about the choice he made with regard to Mellie, and unable to honor it long-term. Fitz and Olivia have their star-crossed love, at least give Mellie someone who loves her the same way even if, like Fitz and Olivia, the main drama is keeping them apart.

Cyrus - He only divorced shortly before the campaign/meeting David, so his age wouldn't present any real challenges to showing that time period. I'm very curious about the ex-Mrs. Also, does he have grown children with the ex? They've never mentioned, but since he's not much a family man, I can see that getting added in.

Mellie/Fitz - We've heard the story of their meeting, but how did Mellie get talked into coming? Did she know it was a set-up? Was she familiar with Fitz before? This could add a whole other layer of angst if, for example, she had a crush on him for romantic reasons rather than power/practical reasons and maneuvered herself into a meeting. We've also heard some about Mellie's family (daddy makes moonshine, they come from old money but have adopted a sort of salt-of-the-earth neo-redneck persona), but haven't yet seen them. Jerry's death is totally the time to bring the grandparents onto the scene.

Charlie - Another total cipher. He's one of B-613 backstories we don't yet have. I think it's fair to say everyone is a little bit tired of Huck, so shifting more focus to the other ghoul might be a nice chance of pace. Besides, he's good comic relief and the show needs more of that.

David - He's another one without much of an established back story. We saw his early interactions with Olivia, but nothing about how he got where he is. How did he develop such a passion for justice? What miscarriage of justice made him a zealot? And can we get Alyssa back? Please?

I'd love it if we got to keep Sally and Leo, but I'm not sure what role either would play. If we had a time jump, Sally could be running for office in a mid-term election, but I doubt they'd jump that far ahead as there so much drama to be mined from Jerry's death, the reelection and Olivia's flight. So what sort of things do Presidential losers do? Write books; become television pundits; work for think tanks; get appointed to cabinet posts (this could be a possibility since she can still hold Cyrus' role in DD's death over his head to a certain extent)... ??? As for Leo, he proved quite adept working for Sally in a way Cyrus seems to recognize/respect, could the WH actually hire him on given Olivia's absence? Better to have the devil on your side and all that. And will the WH keep Abby on in some capacity with Olivia gone? Will Fitz insist on it, hoping she can be a way back to Olivia?

Where does Quinn go from here? She effectively sabotaged her relationship with Huck, for which we are all extremely grateful. Does she still have enough of an allegiance to OPA to help Abby sort it out with Olivia gone and Harrison dead? Can she still be in B-613 after her breakup with Charlie and with Jake no longer charge? On the other hand, is it even possible for her to get OUT of B-613 since Jake made her an agent? Is she the on-going connection with either Eli or Maya? 

I think the best thing the show could do would be to put B-613 mostly on the bench for a while. It was such a focus last season that it will quickly become repetitive and annoying. Focus on the politics, and let Eli interact when appropriate, but please don't focus on David's mission to take it down...

• Love 1

I think the best thing the show could do would be to put B-613 mostly on the bench for a while. It was such a focus last season that it will quickly become repetitive and annoying. Focus on the politics, and let Eli interact when appropriate, but please don't focus on David's mission to take it down...

I agree, the B613 crap has got to go. It just overtook the show and made everything the characters had been building up for 2 seasons meaningless. Unfortunately, because it did become so important, we're left with the question of how the writers will suddenly make it not a big deal anymore. Olivia's only remaining clients were her boyfriend and herself because nobody wanted to work with her anymore. Her dad is the one who's going to be paying her remaining employees (which is... Huck and Abby, I guess? A private detective and a spy/assassin, one of whom wants nothing to do with Eli in the first place.). So Eli's influence is still going to be pretty important, since he now effectively owns OPA.

As for David's mission to take down the agency, I'm in agreement that I don't want that to be the only thing we see him work on, but that was an entire pallet worth of documents sitting in his office. Clearly the writers placed that as a potential lead for next season; it would be awful storytelling if David suddenly behaved as though it was just unimportant.

At this point, I think I agree with Olivia's parents: she needs to stop being "the help" like Mom advised, and start aiming for a seat in public office for herself, like Dad advised. That would radically change the dynamics of the show, having her go from being a fixer to being a politician, especially when she prides herself on being apolitical, but the writers already altered the show anyway when they turned it into Alias and had Olivia's office turned into a spy agency headquarters. At this point they might as well make Olivia into a cabinet member, because what the hell else are they going to do that they haven't done already?

• Love 1

As for David's mission to take down the agency, I'm in agreement that I don't want that to be the only thing we see him work on, but that was an entire pallet worth of documents sitting in his office. Clearly the writers placed that as a potential lead for next season; it would be awful storytelling if David suddenly behaved as though it was just unimportant.

Maybe the B613 part can just be comic relief with David's main discovery being things like "Olivia, your dad totally ordered Jake to sleep with you!  And then he reported back! Lol!"

Not really, but Shonda has done more absurd things than that.

My dream scenario for those boxes would be that, as David reads through them, he slowly begins to understand that the work B-613 has done over time is not just illegal, but also (at least occasionally) necessary. I'd like to see more information test his convictions and darken his character a bit.

• Love 2

MrsRafaelBarba - I totally agree with this, I am so sick of Shonda portraying Olivia as a victim. I really want to see the kick ass fixer back in business and I do think the idea of her running for office, perhaps Congress is a great idea. Given all the files David was sent, I think that B613 will be in business next season as Eli said that the POTUS reinstated him. I do agree with someone up-thread who believes that Olivia's parents are in on this together. Frankly I could do without them next season too, or push them more into the back ground and focus on the political and OPA. I think Harrison's death will bring Liv back as it will not take Huck long to figure it out. I definitely believe he's dead and was sure of this at the end of the Season finale. I read somewhere that Shonda did not want to renew his contract due to his legal issues; I think he was accused of beating someone up or something like that. I also don't think we will see Fitz and Liv together and I like this, I would much rather see her with Jake (so long as Jake is not a bad guy and did not go off with her on her father's orders) who seems like a good guy, but could be Liv's worst nightmare if he turns out to be working for her Mom or her Dad or both. My feeling is that he is good deep down even though he has done bad things in the name of protecting the republic, David believes that he is a good guy and David watched him kill three people. What worries me with this show is it kind getting a bit like a night time soap, not to the extent that Grey's is, but it's headed that way. Shonda really does not like her shows to be referred to as soaps or guilty pleasures, as I call them sometimes. I am also calling it now: I think something bad is going to happen to Huck's family if he does not arrange for them to get out of Washington ASAP. I also think that Huck, Olivia and Abby will forgive Quinn. Quinn might even work as a double agent in the end for Liv as we all know she will find out what her father did to Gerry and all of his other awful sins. Charlie is the hardest one to figure out, he will probably go back to Rowan, but he could make up with Huck and join them, who knows with that guy.

I know they won't, but I would really like it if S4 went back to the original formula for the show. I liked it when it was the fixer case of the week with the Fitz stuff and high level conspiracy stuff as more of a b-plot. I really liked the show when it was sort of a political procedural. A cheesy one, but one all the same.

• Love 4

Agreed with those that want B613 gone. As some mentioned in the Fitz character thread, it's done far more damange for many characters than helped any of them. Olivila comes off weak and Fitz just looks like a useless puppet that everyone around him including Olivia manipulates for their own sakes, and Quinn...I like this new side of her morw than Exposition Chick, but what the fresh hell hapoened there?

I can settle for Olivia finding she can be happy with Jake for a little whike, at least. I'm sure Olivia and Fitz are endgame, but let her be with a real man for a while, at least.

No more Joke Begone, stop with the immature, constant breakups and constant running away and let Olivia and Fitz deal with their issues, and most important, kill the B613 storyline.  I mean . . . "somebody is more powerful than the President and the President must be kept in line or else" . . . oh, really? So who runs B613 anyway and why don't they just come out and abolish Presidency to begin with?  

• Love 1

I just posted new promo pics in the media thread. My spec- the wife is sick and the husband is only staying with her because she isn't well. Parallel time! Mellie is grieving and Fitz is only giving her the time of day because she is sad that their son just died. But obviously, if she would just get over it he could have his real happy ending with Olivia without feeling like (but still being obviously) a total douche.

• Love 2

In the last episode (S04.E06: An Innocent Man), Jake gave Olivia what he said was an offshore bank account number. When she repeated it back to him, she said it in the format of an SSN (three digits-two digits-four digits). Since the number started with a 9 it's probably not an actual SSN but maybe Jake deliberately scrambled the first three digits. I wonder if it'll turn out that it is the SSN of someone significant, like Rowan or Mama Pope, and Jake is counting on Olivia or one of her minions to figure it out.

• Love 1

That's a cool idea. I'm thinking it might be Tom's. It could be Jake's way of telling her Tom is the key to it all, including her mother (since the money was to go to his mother). Or instead of a social, Tom's ID number.

ITA. If Papa Pope's not involved in this, then Mama Pope is. Whomever outed Olitz deserves a medal, as far as I'm concerned. 

What I really want to happen is that it's revealed that Grant ordered troops into West Namibia because of his mistress and that American troops died for Olivia.  Him having a mistress while having a wife is scummy but it's not a legal problem at all.  But having gotten people killed because of your mistress where a more detached man probably would've stayed out of Namibia, that opens the door to a lot of interesting debates, much more so than debates on sexual mores.

• Love 3

ITA. Both Olitz's affair and his sending troops into war are both examples of Fitz's shitty judgment, especially where Olivia is concerned.  While the affair itself is bad enough, Fitz's getting innocent people on both sides killed just to get his sidepiece back is beneath contempt-and don't even get me started on Defiance, where votes were stolen and innocent people died just so Fitz could become President the first time. Fitz has neither earned the presidency nor does he deserve it, so the more of his sins/crimes get exposed, the better.  

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Fingers crossed for impeachment and both Mellie and Liv dumping Fitz's ass. Actually they might kill Fitz off and have him die a "heroic" death since the writers are so convinced this is some sort of epic love story. My eyes might roll out of my head but I'd take it if it meant Fitz off my screen. Fitz is running out of time in his 2nd term and Liv is not moving to Vermont. Scandal shows no sign of being canceled any time soon. Mellie has already conveniently become a senator so she can still be involved. VP what's her name can take his place and face a challenge from Mellie (maybe depending on fallout from Fitz) and Sally and whoever else they want to introduce in the next election. 

• Love 1

I don't know how to deal with the "Yes" going forward.

While slut-shaming is wrong, it's going to happen and big. Who is going to want a crisis manager who can't manage to keep herself out of crisis?

That's a good point, actually. This could either revitalize the show or become a shark jump that eclipses the last two seasons of B613.

Have seen spumors elsewhere that Olivia is drinking a lot less, was wearing relatively loose clothing in the latest episode, and therefore may be pregnant. If she is, is it guaranteed to be Fitz' baby or could it be Jake's? I can't figure out how much time has passed in Scandal since Olivia and Jake came back from the island.

Here's a theory:

Mellie and Edison win their respective primaries. Since PapaPope is Edison's financial backer, it becomes a "Pope v. Pope" election, and we get some over-hyped drama with that tag line for awhile.

Mellie asks Liv to be her running mate, and Liv accepts.

Edison's campaign suffers, Mellie wins, and PapaPope monologues that this was his plan all along - putting Olivia "a heartbeat away from the Oval."

PapaPope may hint to Olivia that he plans to off Mellie, so Liv can assume the Presidency.

At that point, It really depends on how many more seasons they want to give us. If they plan to end it next season, then Liv resigns to protect Mellie, and heads to Vermont.

I think we're definitely headed for an Olitz reunion soon. Two weeks in a row, we see them interacting more.  They also seem to be trying to write Fitz' redemption, so to speak.

I think Jake will be president by the end of the season, or next season.

It always struck me when he visited Fitz on the White House balcony in 5x10 and said he had to get himself a view like that. He said it twice. (Fitz's response was "There's only one way to get this view and it's a bitch.") I thought this was foreshadowing that Jake would eventually end up with that view.

The only issue for me is how Olivia would fit in. I'm of the belief Jake and Olivia are meant to be endgame, but if Jake is president, that would mean a rehash of what she went through with Fitz. Jake's married. I can't see Olivia having another affair with a married president.

After last night's episode, I'm leaning toward Cyrus being involved in some way. It's just too obvious for Jake and Rowan to be behind this. And it's too soon for Cyrus to be innocent already. (I read on a different forum that this episode was supposed to be episode 6, but they pushed it sooner. I don't know why.) Maybe it will be a Murder on the Orient Express type thing and everyone was involved? Maybe it was his brother? (Who I liked and kind of wanted to date Olivia.)

All I know is that Vargas seemed a genuinely great guy. Whoever killed him will have a hard time being redeemed.

• Love 2

Interview with Scott Foley about 6x05: Scandal: What Was Jake Ballard Doing When Frankie Was Shot?

I had a strong feeling the season's focus might turn to Olivia's safety after watching 6x05. Scott Foley's comment in this article that Rowan may be afraid because the new mystery person/people may do something to Olivia makes me even more convinced we're going to see Olivia in danger.

I wasn't a big fan of the kidnapping story line, so I kind of hope Olivia-in-Danger is more about the bank account stuff leading to an investigation or arrest. I don't want to see her kidnapped again, or physically hurt. Though a kidnapping, or hospital stay, would give them an episode or two without her. I'm not sure how they worked around KW's pregnancy - whether they filmed the last episodes after she gave birth or she was pregnant for the entire season, but if she needed some weeks off, a story line that makes her disappear for a few episodes could have worked for her.

ETA: The interview indicates Jake saved Jennifer on his own, which I wasn't sure about, and that he probably knew about the assassination plot, which surprises me.

I'm going to assume from the latest press releases that the next few episodes

Spoiler

continue to focus on one character.

6x06 = Rowan; 6x07 = Huck; 6x08 = Abby. Can we assume 6x09 focuses on Quinn/Charlie? Maybe 6x10 is back to Olivia and this is when we see what Rowan's "boss" has in store for her?

Edited by slade3
  • Love 1

It occurred to me while watching Olivia sip wine for about the nine thousandth time, that the people around her will realize how dangerous and out of control she is and will have to reluctantly take her out for the good of the country, since Mellie seems to be helpless.  Maybe even Daddy Pope will have to dispatch Jake to do that without making her suffer.  Maybe poison her glass of wine and just put her to sleep forever. 

Edited by Ohwell