Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: The Law of Sacrifice

Please let this be the last that we see of that kid and Adalind until the season finale or even better next season. 

It is a relief that Nick and Juliette weren't stuck with that kid though. Poor Monroe and Rosalee, they are saints to put up with Nick's dramas.

The preview for next week's episode looks very good.

I am looking forward to meeting a non-Burkhardt Grimm.

Edited by stacey
hiding promo details

I actually loved this episode. And I felt bad for Adalind at the end. But I gotta pat myself on my back - I called it that Mamma Grimm would end up with the baby.

The only thing I didn't like about next week's preview was the whole "They call be trouble" thing. Really?

I would be surprised if the writers even considered something as simple as Nick giving the baby his blood to solve their problem. 

I noticed that Nick never asked his mother if she destroyed the powerful coins that were such a threat to the world. RME. These writers just make up it up they go along. The mytharc of this show would be so much better if they actually had a plan from the start.

• Love 1

They are tying the threads together.   We even got an explanation of why Renard tried to kill Marie but is okay working with Nick.  

For such a heavy episode there were some major laughs.   Loved everyone's reaction to Adalind's return.   "there's more?"  "uh when did she give birth?"

But oh Adalind when she found out her baby was taken from her.  Look she is a bad person, but she loved that child.  I know she would never have agreed to send the child off with Mama Grimm.   Who did such a great job at motherhood before.  

• Love 2

They are tying the threads together.   We even got an explanation of why Renard tried to kill Marie but is okay working with Nick.  

We got that ridiculous explanation before. The question was never why Renard is okay working with Nick, but rather why Nick is so tolerant of Renard? I have never gotten a convincing explanation for that one. 

• Love 1

I guess the baby going with Mama Grimm makes the most sense, although I will admit that the idea of a scenario with Monroe/Rosalee/Adalind, rooming with her child,  had some great comic potential.  A Hexenbiest, Blutbad, a Fuchsbau, and powered-up baby, with purple eyes.  Tune in to NBC for "Three Wesen and a Baby!"

I wish we got a bit more of Hank's reaction to Adalind's return, but even the brief moment we got was awesome.  The idea that the baby was his, just completely terrified him.

• Love 5

I liked this. It had me guessing what with that arrest of Mama Grimm being apparently real. The scene with wailing Adalind had me rolling my eyes though. I agree she had every right to feel all the pains, but it just seemed a bit over the top.

I do not understand the whole arrest thing though. Like what purpose did that serve at all? It meant that Mama is now very wanted by police. And Adalind knows who killed her mom. Why did they do that?? I'm genuinely asking if anyone has a plausible reason.

Ha! I got my Renard/Viktor face off! Thank you, Grimm writers!  And it was everything I thought it would be even if not shirtless.   Also, what is it with Alexis Denisoff and stealing babies? LOL

Also, I felt bad for Adalind because Claire Coffee really sold me on her grief and anger. 

I knew it was Monroe because even speaking German is voice was the same.  But I have to say I didn't see that ambush coming so well played on that show!

All in all, good episode. 

• Love 3

The exchange between Nick and Monroe & Rosalee on speakerphone was hilarous:

Monroe and Rosalee (in unison) "Your captain?!"

I knew that mama Grimm was going to take the baby.

Nick to Renard (after Adalind woged): "Seriously? You find that attractive?"  hehehehehe

That baby is adorable.

Nick to Renard (after Adalind woged): "Seriously? You find that attractive?"

Yes, thank you, writers! I have always hated the hexenbiest woge. Why did they have to make it so hideous? I'm okay with the snakes and werewolves and whatnot, but I'm with Nick on this one.

Well, I'd probably be happy to be with DG on anything.

But I'd be happy to never see that CGI again.

• Love 2
A Hexenbiest, Blutbad, a Fuchsbau, and powered-up baby, with purple eyes.  Tune in to NBC for "Three Wesen and a Baby!"

I'm glad we only got a small dose of that. Making it a long-term arrangement would be a little too "Full House" for my taste.

Heaving a huge sigh of relief that we probably won't see the kid again until she's not a baby anymore. Next time we see her she'll probably be like one of those kids from Children of the Corn. (Here's hoping.)

It was pretty obvious that they weren't really going to give the kid to the prince, but I didn't know they were going to do a kidnapping while pretend to be the resistance. I think Mama Grimm was arrested so no one would suspect she has the kid. Maybe on record she was detained the whole time and then let go for lack of evidence.

Letting Adalind know Mama Grimm killed her mom was because they had to distract her long enough for Renard to hand off her baby. I do kind of wonder if they could have found a better way to distract her. But now Adalind is in revenge mode... again. And she has her full powers. So this should be interesting. I guess. Feels a little like deja vu, but I'll wait and see what they do with this.

Loved Wu announcing the prince *recites long-ass snotty sounding name and then* "I think he left out a dorf or a berg somewhere" Oh, Wu, never change.

• Love 1

L

oved Wu announcing the prince *recites long-ass snotty sounding name and then* "I think he left out a dorf or a berg somewhere" Oh, Wu, never change.

Oh, gosh. I laughed long and hard at that.  That was fantastic

Unless we see him periodically, I feel that C. Thomas Howell was wasted in the episode.  A Verrat in the FBI? Cool; let's explore that some more. Maybe he can explain to Nick what's what between the Royals and everyone else. Nick is savvy enough to double check with his group and with Renard, so it could be a good way to info dump but answer long-standing questions.

Agree with everyone who loved all the reactions to the news Adalind was back. Kelly at least seemed concerned about Hank's connection to Adalind. Too bad no one else thought to mention her almost killing Wu, even if it was unintended. That Wu and Adalind interacted but he didn't even  'Say...weren't you the gal that dated Hank and then ended up in jail on a murder charge?' (or something like that) seemed a small dropped point. A look of recognition would've been fine, for me.

Yes, Claire Coffee brought her A-game to tonight's episode. That cry of anguish was, as shapeshifter said, too real, indeed. 

The question is: yes, Kelly has Diana doing a Fugitive thing, but how long and where would Victor wait to search for the baby? Would he look in Europe? Was Monroe's German really that convincing to a daily speaker? While I don't expect we'll get regular check-ins with Thelma and Baby Louise, We may get some "updates" in scenes with Victor trying to make Renard pay, regardless of what he can prove.

Again, all hail, The Snarkness, Sgt. Drew Wu, and his recitation of Victor's full title! You could almost hear him go "blahblahblah royalfishcakes blah."

It will be interesting to see a non-Burkhardt Grimm, but I get the feeling that the kid's going to be a project for Nick. I reserve judgement on the good or bad of this until I see the finished ep.

Wu walks on and off stage and leaves me laughing, every time, no matter what he does. What is that magic? They give him marginally funny lines but he makes way more of them than is on the page. In this episode, he had like 2 lines and they managed to improve the overall tone of the show dramatically.

Do we know anything about Adalind's dad?

So I guess I was the only one who was unbelievably bored from beginning to end? Renard and Adalind and royals and a baby and phone conversations all in one episode. Endless tedium from beginning to end. Claire Coffey bought it, which was the only good thing to say, really.

I was more annoyed than bored. I was rolling my eyes over some of the many ridiculous moments. Rosalee and Monroe's bewildered reaction to the whole situation, Hank's horror at the possibility that he might be father of Adalind's spawn, Nick's comment about Adalind's unattractiveness after she woged, and Wu's wry announcement of Victor's name were the only entertaining parts of the episode to me. They made me laugh. 

I agree about the comments about Wu. He always makes me laugh We need more of him.

Edited by SimoneS

I'm thinking perhaps it's not a bad thing that Monroe's German was so awful.  Would Viktor expect European Resistance in Portland?  He probably thought it was a local Resistance group and one of 'em was trying to be accommodating by speaking high school German.

But don't go by me; my SIL called & I watched most of the ep via closed captioning while listening & responding to her.  She rang off just in time for me to hear Monroe's German.

Congratulations, writers, you made me feel genuinely bad for Adalind.

The scene with wailing Adalind had me rolling my eyes though. I agree she had every right to feel all the pains, but it just seemed a bit over the top.

I bought it, mainly because that's how I'd react if someone took away one of my children.

But now Adalind is in revenge mode... again. And she has her full powers. So this should be interesting. I guess. Feels a little like deja vu, but I'll wait and see what they do with this.

To me, she did not seem all that angry about it, and I suspect she will be much more focused on getting revenge over her baby (and I assume Renard will be telling her the baby is no longer with Viktor, since it would be pretty stupid of him not to).

loved Wu announcing the prince *recites long-ass snotty sounding name and then* "I think he left out a dorf or a berg somewhere" Oh, Wu, never change.

Oh, gosh. I laughed long and hard at that.  That was fantastic

It was!  Especially because he did such a good job pronouncing the name in the first place!  I had visions of him practicing under his breath on his way to the Captain.

I really enjoyed this episode -- Claire Coffee's acting, the bits of wit and snark, the coming together of different storylines, the sharing of knowledge and secrets, all of it.

That was C. Thomas Howell?    I spent the whole epidode going "Who is that guy?" but was too lazy to got IMDB to find out.   My room was covered in posters of him when I was a kid.   He has not aged well.  

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode, even if it was predictable. I actually like a break away from the case of the week. Wu was hilarious. I am not an Adalind fan but really like that motherhood has given her another layer.

Loved all the emotional payoffs. Hated whoever did the baby voice-overs because those weren't 2-week-old sounds. Couldn't figure out why Nanny Kelly didn't give her a grimm blood drop on the binky. Would probably cut down on all that neonatal poltergeisting. 

Well, the baby isn't evil so taking away it's powers would be like chopping off the had of a murder's child, so that one day they don't shoot someone. Just because it has powers doesn't mean they can't be channeled for good.

I actually thought Renard was carrying out fake-baby/wood to give to Viktor. Then I figured he couldn't tell the baby what he needed so it must have been real baby.

Edited by caseylane

That's it?!! We were bogged down with the whole Adalind-is-pregnant-with-a-royal-baby arc just to have her give birth so Nick's mom can abscond her and drive off into the sunset?   She couldn't look after Nick, but she plans on raising this child of destiny?  I hope little Diana is relegated to off-screenville forevermore because I don't really find baby drama on TV very compelling, but what a waste of an episode and story line overall!

Also, why in the world did Kelly need a specific type of vehicle to run off with the baby in?  

I can't imagine Kelly (screenname "bheadr") doing nothing for the next twenty years but being the perfect parent after all these years of being the perfect assassin, though the opening setup of the movie Hanna comes to mind.

Maybe she was just taking the baby to a place of safety. I thought the choice of vehicle was about getting something servicable and above all, not likely to get stopped by law officers on the road, that she could leave with the new foster parents. Of course she may stay awhile and teach the kid some of what she's good at, but I doubt she'll stick around for the entire upbringing. She still has to destroy those coins after all, and I don't see her doing that with a telekinetic toddler in tow..

Edited by CoderLady

Couldn't figure out why Nanny Kelly didn't give her a grimm blood drop on the binky. Would probably cut down on all that neonatal poltergeisting.

I posted something similar elsewhere but decided this was sort of explained last episode when Kelly was expositing about the potential for "great good," that is, they want to have the option of having Diana's powers at their disposal. Or maybe the blood thing doesn't work for a half hexenbiest.

I remember Kelly said neither side should have control of the baby's powers. That seems fair in principle but neutrality might be hard to maintain with the power-hungry Royals after her.

Which worries me a bit. I've been enjoying that most of the problems the team has faced have been small-scale -- angry teenagers, deadly family disputes, greedy meglomanics, grudge matches and the odd nutcase or two. However, pretty much every sci-fi / fantasy show where powers are involved gets consumed by some big Good vs. Evil battle for the fate of the world a season or so into the show's run, and Grimm has been overdue for that. I'll hang in there, but I think there's going to be less fun and more politics in the future.

Shallow post here, but shouldn't that baby needed a few diaper changes sooner or later? Maybe hexenbeast babies don't pee or poop?

The baby did see to adore Ma Grimm for some reason, so maybe this was destined.

Mostly I was bored while watching but in retrospect I'm annoyed.

If you have to have your main characters steal a woman's baby to make her "evil" then a) she's no longer the evil one and b) you're falling into the Prince Arthur paradigm. "Bad guys" aren't bad just because they oppose the hero, And the hero isn't good just because he's the hero. "Bad guys" and "good guys" should actually do bad things and good things.

Wrenching a baby from its mother's arms is the former. Being angry about that and wanting your baby back is the latter. So bravo, writers. We're now watching a show about a heroic mother trying to find her kidnapped child and get it back from the Machiavellian bastards who stole it from her.

Given how weak the writing of the show's mytharc is I expect that they had the baby taken so that Adalind could become a sympathetic figure. It is the writers' shortcut way of making her making her "good" just like their magically made Renard good. It is lazy writing. 

I really am surprised by Grimm's weak mytharc and the lack of a real big bad. David Greenwalt produced worked on Buffy and produced Angel. With his resume, I really expected better.

Edited by SimoneS

If you have to have your main characters steal a woman's baby to make her "evil" then a) she's no longer the evil one and b) you're falling into the Prince Arthur paradigm. "Bad guys" aren't bad just because they oppose the hero, And the hero isn't good just because he's the hero. "Bad guys" and "good guys" should actually do bad things and good things.

She was evil already. She used the pregnancy to get her powers back. She raped Hank, put Juliette in a coma which nearly killed etc etc.  Whether it was at Renard's urging doesn't change her complicity in the acts. So whilst I can feel sorry for her for her baby being taken away, I don't feel think it's necessarily wrong that they took it to protect it.

Edited by catrox14

I would like to thank the writers for removing the baby from the show. Baby being born drama-Good. Raising Baby drama-Bad. The exposition is the best way to point out the hilarious interconnection between the characters. I love it!

• Love 1

Add me to the list of those who are glad that red-eyed, is she or isn't she evil baby is gone. I could not muster an interest in that storyline. I doubt that Mama Grimm is going to raise her. Now if only Adalind could vanish from the show as well.

I guess I was the only one who thought Victor was going to tell Renard that Adalind slept with Erick and a visit to Maury to determine the Baby Daddy was required. I guess Adalind won't be looking to get with Renard now that she knows he played her. If I were him, I would tell her the truth, although he might not be able to out of fear that the truth might be tortured out of her.

I'm worried about next week's episode. I don't want to see The Nick Burkhardt How to be a Grimm Academy.

I also liked the episode. Claire C's emotional response to her baby being taken was very powerful. I still think she's an evil person but I certainly sympathized with her loss at that point.

• Love 1

Two weeks later I am still mightly amused by the Burkhart's familial terseness. When asked by Monroe "There's more???" with regard to "the enemy of my enemy is my friend who gave birth to Destiny's baby with Extra Superpowers and is now running from the Verrat/Royals with baby daddy my captain - oh hey can we all come by?" situation, and Nick's reply was a clipped, "Little bit."

Edited by Gel
  • Love 1