Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, jacourt said:

While blathering on about Wordle Joe said something about himself that made me go Hmmmmmm.  He can remember a paragraph he read back in high school but cant do puzzles. He's   the ultimate booksmart person.  Can regurgitate information but has no ability to have introspection.  That is why he is so quick to leach onto others ideas.  He might not have any of his own.  He has all these quotes from people in his head and he just blurts them out.  

I have noticed that Joe is becoming more reliant on repeating the last sentence his guests  say & they says the same comment several times throughout the show. I can almost predict which talking point Joe will use  on any given topic. He is like a wind up political pundit doll. He is spending 10-15 minutes a day on sports talk  because its easy to do.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, jacourt said:

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy  But if there are no consequences why not?

It's rather remarkable that the network doesn't care about its flagship morning show.

I see the logic in keeping Mika & Joe so they can attract political advertising during the midterms campaign. However, the show has switched from discussing politics in the first bloc to talking sports.

I am amused that Chuck Todd is more worried about the Democrats losing the House & Senate & Biden's poor polling numbers than Mika & Joe. 

Could it be that Mika is desperate to get another interview with Jill Biden for KYV ?

Joe never shied away from bashing President Obama & Hillary Clinton but he seems very nonchalant about Biden & Harris. I wonder why ?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, oakville said:

I have noticed that Joe is becoming more reliant on repeating the last sentence his guests  say & they says the same comment several times throughout the show. I can almost predict which talking point Joe will use  on any given topic.

Perhaps this is the strategy for filling up that extra hour. Gotta fill it with something.

• Love 1

He does not want to investigate anything.  He gets his ideas from others.  He does not care.

The audience deserves to hear the give and take of different views.  This show is so insulting to the audience.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:

Perhaps this is the strategy for filling up that extra hour. Gotta fill it with something.

They could bring back movie & tv reviews. The show used to have guests like Nora Ephron.

The show could take a big risk & bring back guests that don't agree with Joe or are willing to wait a few minutes until Joe finishes asking a question.

I noticed that the show barely gets any mentions on social media anymore. It used to be must see tv 10 years ago.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, oakville said:

I see the logic in keeping Mika & Joe so they can attract political advertising during the midterms campaign. However, the show has switched from discussing politics in the first bloc to talking sports.

I find it hard to believe they can keep up the sports talk post Superbowl. Discuss Olympic figure skating? March Madness? Joe has never shown much interest in sports besides football, baseball and soccer. There may be no spring training this year. That leaves us with interminable discussions of Liverpool’s title prospects.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rickster said:

I find it hard to believe they can keep up the sports talk post Superbowl. Discuss Olympic figure skating? March Madness? Joe has never shown much interest in sports besides football, baseball and soccer. There may be no spring training this year. That leaves us with interminable discussions of Liverpool’s title prospects.

Mika used to run track & field in high school, so they could talk about track & field.

• LOL 5

I muted the Trump stuff.  It aggravates me too much.  The discussion about the NFL was calm, insightful and well spoken.  MMMMMMMMMM  I didn't hear Joe .  It was so good that I left late for work! Wish I could have stayed for more.

I was trying to think of a word to describe my feelings about Joe and Mika having so much say about the extended time.  I think it is gobsmacked.  I visually see that as your reaction after getting hit in the face with a big glob of something. You can decide what the something is.

• Love 2

msnbc has a funny game plan. Extend the painful morning show, put hyper Stephanie Ruhle on at night (love her, but she was the best at 6am), drop Kasey over a relatively small amount of money, run Jonathan Lemire into the ground, make Chris Jansing work holidays (she’s almost retirement age, she doesn’t need to put up with that), and make Ari Velsi tag team with Chris Jansing doing everything else. 

For the love of god, extending Morning Joe is insane.  It’s already painful. How could that be seen as a good plan? Are they going to make Nicolle Wallace do 3 hours when Rachel leaves? Like wtf….  They’re losing Brian and Rachel close together, that seems huge!  They need to bring more people on, try to make a new star, they don’t seem to have much choice.  They have SO MANY talented and interesting people to chose from-take one of those young talents from the weekend to do weekday hour. Get a commentator to host a show. Give someone a chance. This is the perfect opportunity to bring a POC in, they again have a lot to choose from.

• Love 6

february. get ink, shed tears.

man I love that poem, but also, I still hate winter, siiiigh

Speaking of, whatever happened to Julia Ioffe and Natasha Bertrand and Masha Gessen and everyone. During these Putinesque tantrum shitshows I always trust regional experts more than anyone bc the generic DC politicos they have on have this bias towards happy clappy rationality that's so old school it's almost naive, even when no actual pattern of reasonable old school behavior can be read into this fresh hell, so maybe the sooner that's acknowledged as reality the better? 🥴 ymmv

Joe & Mika in Florida, our Khaleesi Katty in DC, Willie in NYC w Eddie and Lemire. For some reason I though Lemire was on vacation? By which I mean, I assumed he was spending time sitting perfectly still at his desk at 30 rock, in total darkness, photoshopping images of himself in Bermuda shorts standing in front of UNESCO world heritage sites. Poor baby.

I want one of those groundhog day hats!!!!!! 

I hate the movie bc it hits too close to home during the 2020 depressing repetitive lockdown shitshow, but the real life version is fun!! i don't really understand it but also I love it. What even is this band, I love themmmmm....

AND THEIR NAME WAS GOBBLER'S KNOB ----> disappointed by the 100000 inappropriate jokes that *nobody* made. Come on now

Re: their discussion about the View, I tried to watch that a few times during lockdown last year but i'm basically a snowflake and I just couldn't with the hostility and anger and drama on there, good god.

It was so instantly noticeable they all hated each other it gave me physical shivers, tbh i think it's why I find the Joe and Mika married situation so calming, even tho it's pretty weird, and also Willie is the most peaceful non-dramatic human on the planet. It's just nice. The dynamics are sometimes bizarre but also you can tell no one on MJ hates each other. 

although I do love Joy Behar. I agree with everything she says. All I want is for some camera crew to follow her around NYC like they did Fran Lebowitz, I'm convinced she's got stories.

I agree with Mika on whoopi goldberg. That's the thing why I'm kinda rooting for Mika is that when you can tell she has actually given stuff some thought and written some notes etc what she says is actually coherent and interesting. I think the problems arise when she hasn't done that, preparation is key. Or when Joe just randomly take over. idk. I just don't think it's an inherent incurable thing. She can if she puts the work in, imo.

And on the Goldberg situation Mika is right. the whole atmosphere of gleeful punishment and dumbass literalism and deafness to all apologies is just exhausting. 

Nobody, literally *nobody*, other than ten people on twitter who do nothing else than yell at other people to feel morally superior, wants to live in this angry world where no one is allowed to grow.

What the hell even is the point of a moral universe that seeks to exclude rather than teach

Edited by neona2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, jenkait said:

msnbc has a funny game plan. Extend the painful morning show, put hyper Stephanie Ruhle on at night (love her, but she was the best at 6am), drop Kasey over a relatively small amount of money, run Jonathan Lemire into the ground, make Chris Jansing work holidays (she’s almost retirement age, she doesn’t need to put up with that), and make Ari Velsi tag team with Chris Jansing doing everything else. 

For the love of god, extending Morning Joe is insane.  It’s already painful. How could that be seen as a good plan? Are they going to make Nicolle Wallace do 3 hours when Rachel leaves? Like wtf….  They’re losing Brian and Rachel close together, that seems huge!  They need to bring more people on, try to make a new star, they don’t seem to have much choice.  They have SO MANY talented and interesting people to chose from-take one of those young talents from the weekend to do weekday hour. Get a commentator to host a show. Give someone a chance. This is the perfect opportunity to bring a POC in, they again have a lot to choose from.

I am surprised about the extension of Mika & Joe's contract.

Joe said he was one of the first political pundits to realize that a President could be elected with 270 electoral votes.

Joe said that its important to focus on swing states.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, jenkait said:

Oakville, poor you! I don’t suppose you have an extra hour a day?

On the plus side, more wine?

Ha! It's hard enough now to watch the show. Mika & Joe are live at 8 am , so that is an extra half hour to recap.

I don't think it would be appropriate to drink wine from 6 am-10 am to recap the show.

Perhaps I should move to Europe, so I can recap the show at a reasonable hour :)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

oh man I woke up to a chyron reading "Judges of Masked Singer walk off as Rudy Giuliani revealed as contestant"

is this real life???? Why is it only Thursday, I need a f-ing weekend 🥴

where is Mika? no one has even mentioned her, it's weird. not even a lame-ass south of france joke. I hope she's ok

Joe is in DC Rivendell today yay! With our Khaleesi Katty. Willie is in some sort of new hellscape which features the Capitol surrounded by an unnecessary amount of depressing gray shrubbery. Lemire is in NYC

Here for Alexander Vindman

i have a really really stupid question about their sports convo, please don't judge me. How does fixing sports matches actually work? again, don't judge me. I've taken ballet classes since age 4 but they never do any ballet segments (they should). 🥴 So to fix a match wouldn't they need the entire team plus a shit load of people to be in on it and agree to it? How does that even work?

Edited by neona2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Neona2 dont feel guilty.  I would think that since it was the coach that was a  approached all he would have to do is use bad plays, maybe not use the best players, poor use of time outs.  For a coach it would be easy but also obvious.  His reputation would be destroyed.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, oakville said:

Perhaps I should move to Europe, so I can recap the show at a reasonable hour :)

Mika might be able to set you up with a room in Warsaw.😁

I never saw Mika in the few check-ins I did. Maybe she's doing some quarantine time in FL following her Polish adventure before she jets off again. I don't understand all the random and unnecessary travel Joe and Mika do for the show...I imagine they avoid talk of climate change and such. Did CNN enter the conversation?

• Love 3

so today Willie is in NYC, I mean his actual human self, along with Our Queen Elise, Lemire, the Rev, all around a table

Barnicle looks cute

Mika is in Florida, for some reason seeming very stressed, yikes. it always makes me cringe when people thank *them* for letting them be on the show w zero reciprocity. I mean, why? courtesy and kindness is so easy and makes such a huge difference.

no mention of Joe, this is weird. Yesterday Joe was in DC....so only for one day? by himself?

they just played the Flaming Lips Do you Realize? who actually does the music for this show? I mean I love it, but it's hilarious, because it's so super specific, literally everything they play was on my Angsty Drama Teen Playlist 😂

Wtf is that thing on Mika. In 2 minutes and it’s the George w whoosh administration. Oh my. 

unpopular opinion, but I am in favor of the Robe. I have a philosophical objection to the darkness/sadness/invisibility = feminism equation, which i think is extremely misguided, but in terms of overall visual composition that thing is totally fine imo. I am here for comfort and simplicity, but light light liiiiiight is so important

this Eric Adams segment is interesting

• Love 2

Every time I see Mika in that robe, all I can visualize is her getting out of bed, putting on the robe and sitting down at the desk.  No detours, no nothing.  And then she starts speaking and all you can do is cringe.  She called George W. Bush, George w Woosh!  Even the people at the table were clearly trying to suppress laughter. So unprofessional! And we're getting an additional hour of this nonsense.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, oakville said:

It's hilarious that Mika's reaction was "wow".

What more would we expect from such a well spoken journalist and renown leader of "robust" (kill me if I use that worn out word ever again) geopolitical discussion? I'm pleased the guests had something of value to say. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

What more would we expect from such a well spoken journalist and renown leader of "robust" (kill me if I use that worn out word ever again) geopolitical discussion? I'm pleased the guests had something of value to say. 

I think Mika uses that term often on the show when she doesn't understand the topic that she is reading from the TelePrompter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

“hmmmm” “wow” “oh my God!” (with shrill, raised voice) are her usual go-tos when interrupting so they can throw to commercial. And my favorite - “thank you VERY much when Joe has completely interrupted and over-talked the guest. So many times a guest has interesting, informative, sometimes controversial or humorous things to say but they hardly ever get the chance to truly have the floor.

I do not include the Regulars as the interesting, etc., guests mentioned above. Any of us already know what they are going to say before they say it. The network seems to be a bit inbred at this point.

• Love 6

I tuned in for the last part of Meeka’s interview with Donnie D regarding the Joe Rogan/Spotify controversy. It was interesting but ended with a thud when the Women over 50 “stuff” started. Apparently it is going to be a huge deal - a conference in Abhu Dahbi  (sp?), new names added to the list, etc. Meeka was orgasmic.

Adam Kinsinger appeared and I saw Joe for the first time; wearing ill fitting fleece and slouching. He orated his questions and  talked more than Kinsinger. He was terrible - monotone and not listening. Donnie D and Lemire followed up but the entire thing was an epic fail. Adam K’s appearances on CNN are more professional and engaging.

Four hours!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Ewww. Disturbing. Funny to me that they're adding new names to the list, like they're trying desperately to drum up excitement for this thing.

I simply cannot see this happening - nothing about this is interesting to many, many people*; I think it is the source/spokeswoman.  But it keeps the Wife of Star happy; so he stays happy. Meeka even said she "was excited" for tomorrow to name the new inductees. 

I can still see him slouching during that interview this morning, the fleece drooping, his ennui.  And for this he and his spouse get rewarded. I have to wonder what the other on-air personnel say (in their heads) when they heard this. 

* Sorry, I mean no offense by this to fellow snarkers on this Board.  I know that Mika has her fans and that this project does hold interest for some.

• Love 6
On 2/1/2022 at 7:29 AM, jacourt said:

While blathering on about Wordle Joe said something about himself that made me go Hmmmmmm.  He can remember a paragraph he read back in high school but cant do puzzles. He's   the ultimate booksmart person.  Can regurgitate information but has no ability to have introspection.  That is why he is so quick to leach onto others ideas.  He might not have any of his own.  He has all these quotes from people in his head and he just blurts them out.  

I was about to correct leach to latch (I am a self-admitted Grammar Girl) but on second thought, leach works.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, jenkait said:

Garrett Haake and several others whose names escape me now.  Enough of Lemire.  Just like you wouldn't really enjoy eating cake all day, every day . . . Let the man sleep for goodness sakes!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

2 minutes in I’ve muted. Why oh why focus on ancient history?  This Trump stuff is old. They cackle and smirk and unfortunately Trump us still doing what he wants and is leading republicans. 

• Love 5

2 minutes in I’ve muted. Why oh why focus on ancient history?  This Trump stuff is old. They cackle and smirk and unfortunately Trump us still doing what he wants and is leading republicans. 

I just fast forward the Trump stuff.

Mika should study the current political situation in Abu Dhabi before holding a women`s conference there.

There were some good discussions about Ukraine last week with Richard Haas.

Joe advocated giving Putin a way out of invading Ukraine.

• Love 5

Mika and her minions are flogging her summit right now and I just heard hat-wearing Forbes editor Randall Lane say that this event will include a FASHION SHOW.

Because you certainly can't host a conference about women's equality and empowerment if everyone is poorly dressed. SMH.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Because you certainly can't host a conference about women's equality and empowerment if everyone is poorly dressed. SMH

Can you imagine the robe-tops?  The yoga thumbhole sleeves?  The mom-denim pedal pushers?  The white Keds?  The over-shawl shawls?  The grays and blacks and muted tones?  Elastic!
Can we all go to this thing as a group?  Is booze legal in Abu Dhabi or Dubai or wherever?

• LOL 3

Lowcountry snark…fabulous post!

Nothing says empowering woman like the catwalk stroll. Are the 50 over 50 and KYV groups made up mainly of businesswomen and educators? Or… women who volunteer or start/organize food banks? Any woman from BLM? Women who run true charitable organizations where the CEO and officers aren’t making hundreds of thousands of dollars? Woman who are driving people to the polls, to their churches, etc. Women who are making other women or peoples lives better?

I should know these things but always turn the channel or tune out as soon as I see Meeka lighten up and her voice getting excited and girly; and engaged. Is this going to be televised? MSNBC..you are being played. Suckerrrs.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Eliot said:

Mika and her minions are flogging her summit right now and I just heard hat-wearing Forbes editor Randall Lane say that this event will include a FASHION SHOW.

Because you certainly can't host a conference about women's equality and empowerment if everyone is poorly dressed. SMH.

It would be hilarious if Mika & her guests wore bath robes at the fashion show.

• LOL 3
35 minutes ago, oakville said:

Is it worth recapping today's show ?

I don’t know. I tuned in to see Dick Durbin or someone gushing over Joe’s interview with maybe Thomas Friedman. He had on what seemed to be freshly washed fleece. Joe, not Friedman.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I don’t know. I tuned in to see Dick Durbin or someone gushing over Joe’s interview with maybe Thomas Friedman. He had on what seemed to be freshly washed fleece. Joe, not Friedman.

Friedman is a good guest. I might watch today's show later this afternoon, so I can have a glass of wine.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Did this really happen?

A global pandemic, Russia threatening to invade Ukraine, an important Supreme Court decision on voting rights and they think this qualifies as "news"?

Well, they have three hours to fill; soon to be four. This might appeal to the coveted “young” demo. Because it can’t be said enough - Four!!! 

• LOL 1

dude, where is Joe? that's not the Florida backdrop (although I actually like it better?). He kinda looks all rumpled and messy like he's on some sort of skiing vacation, and not the glamorous kind, lmao. Bless his heart.

I feel bad for snarking on Joe above buuut tbh I turned it on and they were all calm and funny and snarking on the New York Post, which I am here for, but then it just degenerated within 5 minutes into yelling ---> and the NYC crime issue is actually a legitimate, complicated thing totally worthy of discussion, so without the yelling that could've actually been interesting 🥴

I wish we could have a studio show agaaaaaain.... Willie, Mika & Joe literally haven't been in the same studio together, all three of them, for like two months, I'm not counting the Poland thing which was not a real thing and so disappointing.

I can't believe the three of them used to be on the show together, every day, just as a natural thing, and now it's this special luxury we only get twice a year.

---> this is going to be boring, but since I have complained on here a thousand times that Mika's women's rights project was condescending to women in the arts blah blah (because it waaaaaaas), I now actually feel compelled to defend teh above-mentioned Fashion Show, because I think it's a positive step. 

I looked up the clip from yesterday (missed the show) and in fairness, what Randall Lane ACTUALLY SAID is that they're putting together a fashion show including designers from Africa, the Middle East, and the US. And they've got Paulina Porizkova and (I think he said?) Precious Moloi-Motsepe!! That is...actually pretty good.

Tbh I do think Mika's movement thingy could benefit from new and fresh and healthy perspectives, from women who are removed from the sometimes f-ing toxic US fashion/media scene. 🥴

There are women out there trying to spread cultural diversity and positivity, and different ways of expressing power and femininity and individuality.

There are women who make joyful, high-quality clothing for plus-sized women. Women who care about the environment and put a shitton of energy into creating long-lasting garments using sustainable fabrics. Women who are deeply involved in supply chain and labor issues in their respective countries. 

What always freaked me out a bit about the knowing your value thingy is the emphasis that everyone in it needs to have sort of perfect flawless faces and hair and everything, and visibly do all this anti-aging stuff, in this unhealthy way....but at the same time, light and colors and clothing (sometimes lovingly created by other women) is bad?

So the message is, be perfect and flawless in a universal sense but don't be creative or stand out on an individual level...just, in terms of visual symbolism, that seems to me like an inversion of priorities, and a message that is probably being lost in translation.

i mean on the flip side, actually celebrating aging and making it into a visible joyful colorful thing could maybe be a more powerful symbol ~here ends your visual Symbolism with neona PBS special ~ apologies for excessive tediousness

Ugh I feel like i'm complaining too much today. So for positives, Lemire's tie, also Willie is a perfect and adorable human (it is a truth universally acknowledged)

Edited by neona2
think her name is actually moloi-motsepe
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Well, they have three hours to fill; soon to be four. This might appeal to the coveted “young” demo. Because it can’t be said enough - Four!!! 

I cut this show out of my daily existence awhile ago but just had to come here and say WTF?  Four hours?  An extra hour of soccer banter maybe?   Or Joe and Willie doing their fake "remember-that-time-we-..."  schtick?  Perhaps an extra hour of Joe struggling to connect some classic rock song to current events?   Maybe a protracted session of name-dropping or bragging about where he's vacationing or how many Red Sox games he attends?

So many possibilities.   It's such a wonder I don't feel tempted to give the show another chance.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, millennium said:

I cut this show out of my daily existence awhile ago but just had to come here and say WTF?  Four hours?  An extra hour of soccer banter maybe?   Or Joe and Willie doing their fake "remember-that-time-we-..."  schtick?  Perhaps an extra hour of Joe struggling to connect some classic rock song to current events?   Maybe a protracted session of name-dropping or bragging about where he's vacationing or how many Red Sox games he attends?

So many possibilities.   It's such a wonder I don't feel tempted to give the show another chance.

I wish you were paid to watch the show. Your commentaries on this forum made me laugh.

A few weeks ago, Mika hinted that Joe will be performing songs from his new album entitled , "When I was in Congress" sung to the tune of "Walking in Memphis"

I am baffled by MSNBC's decision to expand the show to 4 hours.

The daily ratings are down to around 700K. This is a 50% reduction from the peak during the Trump administration. 

I wonder who will host the show in the summer when Mika & Joe go to Maine ?

There will probably be more political discussions in the fall when they talk about the midterm elections.

• Love 2