Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

There was a segment on sleep apps. Joe said Mika likes to sleep with prime time cable news on in the background.

Mika left the show at 8 30 am. Stephanie Ruhle appeared. She was laughing with Joe about the latest Labor report.

Joe was happy that unemployment dropped to 3.9%. Stephanie admitted that people that don't like them call them complete moron dunces. Stephanie said there are lower job created than expected.

Stephanie was sitting with Jonathan Lemire. She admitted that people call her a  dunce on twitter.  She admitted that inflation is higher than wage growth.

Joe said he watches Willie' Sunday show before going to church with Jack.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 3
On 1/8/2022 at 1:33 PM, oakville said:

I am puzzled why Mika thinks its a good idea to hold a KYV seminar in the UAE. Women`s rights are better in the UAE than Saudi Arabia or Iran, but it`s not the same as being in Europe or North America.

Mika`s commercial for KNV was the most animated I have seen her in a longtime. She made no errors& enunciated with confidence.

https://www.expatica.com/ae/living/gov-law-admin/womens-rights-in-the-united-arab-emirates-71118/

No, but in that sense I kinda understand it because if it's a "global list" (as I think she described it?) having it in a place that's geographically accessible to more people makes sense.

i'm not generally in favor of cultural or academic boycotts because most of the time they're not constructive and they take away opportunities and experiences from people who really need them.

they do some really bold interesting stuff in Abu Dhabi, and some of it's actually positive it's just a shame its all tinged with this ambivalence... idk if you guys would have followed the Louvre and Guggenheim drama? i won't bore you with the whole thing, buuuut yes! the UAE cooperated w the French gov and made their own Louvre museum! it opened in 2017 and tbh its just this architectural masterpiece, it has a giant dome with this mashrabiya style latticework that filters the sunlight from above and it's just freakin breathtaking.... aaand it is this hugely innovative positive thing that is meant to highlight and give opportunities to artists from all over the Arab world etc etc etc.... but also, it was constructed by what was pretty much indentured workers with really really abysmal dangerous working conditions. 🥴 So there's always this queasy feeling and it's so damn depressing that they can't just get their shit together. they're now building their own Guggenheim! and bc of the Louvre shitshow there's a huge pressure campaign to ensure better working conditions... tbh it's been going on for a long-ass time and I'm not really sure what the situation is now (i think they halted construction for a really long time, for various reasons). but I mean at least the issue is being raised and there's an effort to engage. ish. i hope?

I think something like mika's thingy can be really inspiring, if they find a non-condescending way to engage with and include the women who actually live (and work!) there, and they don't let the Emirati powers that be sort of deliberately spin the event as a PR move to deflect from human rights issues (they do that. a lot).

the main issue i don't actually think is women's rights as such, bc in the UAE a lot of that is societal rather than political imo. But the silencing of journalists is a huge thing, and since Mika's thingy is about getting paid what your worth etc, again, lack of worker's rights and modern slavery esp in construction is a shitshow. but again the main thing is to be inclusive, not misrepresent the situation, not be too cozy and uncritical, and use the opportunity to apply pressure if possible..... there are tons of ways to do that, like a panel with local female journalists to discuss their challenges, or something on workers rights etc etc. and also def being careful when choosing venues

• Love 3

What I wonder is who is paying for Meeka's sojourn to the UAE.  The network? Her own self? Sorry, but I cannot take anything she does regarding KYV seriously. But.  Credit where credit might be due.  She obviously loves doing  Educated Women Knowing Their Value;  and Privileged Women Over 50; she practically lights up when discussing it.  That is where her interest lies so she should pursue it.  Full Time.  

Neona - I think talking to women anywhere in the Mid East is such a good idea; and finding women who want to talk is quite something.

Edited by Kemper
Added last paragraph
  • Love 4

I tuned in for a discussion on the New York apartment fire. “Discussion” consisted of taped interviews from maybe yesterday - the mayor, fire official, etc. I flipped to CNN to see a sweet, funny interview with Gilbert Gottfried talking about his long friendship with Bob Saget. He was able to talk; Brianna K and John B were engaged. It was a sadly nice way to start my day. They then switched to a live shot with a reporter from the site of the fire. Live. Interview.

Back to MJ to see an interview (“interview” being a misnomer; guests get to talk a bit while Joe pontificates about the subject). The guest was a writer from The New York Times who had written a piece about tv shows now pretending that Covid doesn’t exist. I read the Op Ed yesterday. This is what I came away with.. Who The F Cares!!!! The writer gets some tv time; Joe, Meeka, Eddie G and Jonathan L get their tv time. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Kemper said:

What I wonder is who is paying for Meeka's sojourn to the UAE.  The network? Her own self?

I imagine Forbes and Bank of America as they are supporting the 50/50 b.s. What a waste of $. I learned from you guys that her tone re: Covid has changed...no more cry reading, etc. I guess that's to make the (crazy) decision to travel and do the "conference" in UAE more palatable, while they continue to report on schools and businesses shutting down.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:

I imagine Forbes and Bank of America as they are supporting the 50/50 b.s. What a waste of $. I learned from you guys that her tone re: Covid has changed...no more cry reading, etc. I guess that's to make the (crazy) decision to travel and do the "conference" in UAE more palatable, while they continue to report on schools and businesses shutting down.

I doubt Joe would let Mika pay for the Forbes trip. He was notorious for demanding free room & board at Mar a Largo before Trump became President.

Does Mika get paid by Forbes for these seminars ?

I find it hilarious for Mika to travel to the UAE  for a vanity project but can't bother to show up in NYC or Washington studios.

Last week when they interviewed Mayor Adams, Mika invited him to attend Joe's upcoming birthday celebration at Prohibition. Joe will be performing in front of many MSNBC regulars.

• LOL 2

to clarify, if it's about Mika's seminar (as an MJ host) why can't it be the host thread? and if they spend a whole segment talking about it, why can't it be in the episode thread?

like what's the thing that differentiates it into small talk thread when it's about one of the hosts and the hosts have their own thread? or if it's actually a huge part of a discussion during an episode?

idk I'm just literally terrible at everything 🥴 so genuinely asking for guidance

Edited by neona2
  • Love 5

oh man I kinda like Donny Deutsch today.

I have literally nothing in common with him except this urge to just get back to being alive again. And you know what??? I literally feel a kind of kinship with him in that respect.

Donny is one of these people (and hilariously he's got this exactly in common with Mika) that none of them can ever ever hide their actual human emotions when expressing their opinions. That's why I like him.

Relatedly, I also like Donny's suit *shrugs* bc I like light, I like actual thought going into things and durability and sustainable fabrics (not necessarily applicable here, but you know what I mean)

....and also trying to make life better during the most dismal period in the history of humanity. 

I was sad about the Golden Globes being virtual.... because you know what,  I like light, I like colors, I like dresses

BUT at the same time, I like humans showing up....and *shocker* I even like red carpets

And I don't think liking or understanding any of that makes anyone a bad or unintelligent person... In NYC this is a city, and I don't think we can be faulted for wanting to experience it with fresh eyes after what was literally a soul-draining shitshow.

it's been a shitty year for literally everyone. I don't understand why we can't have light and beauty where we can find it. 

Edited by neona2
  • Love 4

Monday evening rant with wine: This morning's talking point during today's segment of Covid: NBD? Joe, if patients are testing positive after they're hospitalized doesn't that present a whole host of other issues for the infirm, injured and pre-surgical? Not to mention the cesspool of risk we're making our healthcare workers swim in? 

Granted I'm no country lawyer but I know enough not to highlight one sentence from a report and break into a told-ya-so dance. 

Taking my Mika rant to the hosts thread.

• Love 5

oh wow they're in studio today!! this is actually exciting, it's been like a whole month since last time!

well, that is, Mika is in DC Rivendell seeming a bit stressed but actually there in human person. Joe is in NYC w Willie & the Rev. On a scale from Barry White-Joe to Cicero-Joe his level of asshood is moderate. Good times.

Edited by neona2
  • Love 2

Sidney Poitier and Bob Saget both passed this week - two very different careers but a wealth of experiences and good works to discuss. So let's focus on a month-old New Yorker article that imo no one has actually read, bc it wasn't all that bad and almost every celebrity has a terrible take on it. And yes, Joe - pre-Twitter, Daniel Day Lewis was often the subject of examination if not outright ridicule for his acting methods. 

Mika may have pulled me back in for a bit this morning - she has no patience for her husband today.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

oh wow they're in studio today!! this is actually exciting, it's been like a whole month since last time!

well, that is, Mika is in DC Rivendell seeming a bit stressed but actually there in human person. Joe is in NYC w Willie & the Rev. On a scale from Barry White-Joe to Cicero-Joe his level of asshood is moderate. Good times.

I don't tune in to MJ to hear eight minutes of sports at the top of the hour, followed by one host giggling and (IMHO) making fun of the woman who delivered the last election to Joe Biden.  Over and over.  Or should I say 'Again' as Joe does, repeatedly.  Good thing I don't take a drink each time he says 'Again.'  I would not like to be in Joe's shoes when today's show is over.  He was disrespectful to Stacy Abrams, Joe Biden, and viewers. Wasn't thrilled to see Willie participating.  Rev. Al looked as appalled as I felt.  And then, at the top of the second hour, it began all over again.  Again.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, neona2 said:

Mika is in DC Rivendell seeming a bit stressed but actually there in human person. Joe is in NYC

I think Mika was stressed out because Joe took all the hair product when they were packing for their trips. Man, that was some high hair today. I clicked on again to see Mika start a convo with Scott Gottlieb on his new book...I always enjoy him as a guest but...not her as a host so I clicked off...did Willie or Joe take over the interview? 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

I would not like to be in Joe's shoes when today's show is over.  He was disrespectful to Stacy Abrams, Joe Biden, and viewers. Wasn't thrilled to see Willie participating.  

I was sitting with my coffee waiting for some kind of actual discussion about Abrams' pre-planned absence and the Democratic party in general, but Joe thought his car maintenance quip deserved repeating. Multiple times. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

I was sitting with my coffee waiting for some kind of actual discussion about Abrams' pre-planned absence and the Democratic party in general, but Joe thought his car maintenance quip deserved repeating. Multiple times. 

Joe is stirring the pot !

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/joe-scarborough-stacey-abrams-skipping-voting-rights-speech-because-she-doesnt-want-to-be-on-the-same-stage-as-joe-biden/

• Love 4

I started to watch today's show. It felt like I was watching ESPN with all the college football talk.

I felt bad for Rev Al, who doesn't watch college football be left out of the conversation for the first 10 minutes. He did say that he believed that the QB could run for the GOP nomination in 40 years like Hershel Walker is doing this year.

It is interesting to note that the show has made an effort to not spend as much time discussing Covid which is at record levels. DMV traffic & weather reports are now part of the show.

Mika & Joe are in a better mood & have stopped yelling or cry reading at viewers during the opening block.

I suspect that the network is behind the new format.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, oakville said:

I started to watch today's show. It felt like I was watching ESPN with all the college football talk.

I felt bad for Rev Al, who doesn't watch college football be left out of the conversation for the first 10 minutes. He did say that he believed that the QB could run for the GOP nomination in 40 years like Hershel Walker is doing this year.

It is interesting to note that the show has made an effort to not spend as much time discussing Covid which is at record levels. DMV traffic & weather reports are now part of the show.

Mika & Joe are in a better mood & have stopped yelling or cry reading at viewers during the opening block.

I suspect that the network is behind the new format.

Joe and Mika in a better mood?  She was absolutely LIVID with his behavior today!  I wouldn't want to ride home in the car with him.  Oh, wait.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Joe and Mika in a better mood?  She was absolutely LIVID with his behavior today!  I wouldn't want to ride home in the car with him.  Oh, wait.

Ha!. I only watched a few minutes & barely saw Mika in the first segment.

I am headed to our wine cellar to determine what type of wine I should get before I do a proper recap.

If Mika is very mad then perhaps I should have vodka ?

PrimeTimer doesn't offer alcohol suggestions to those of us that recap shows.

• LOL 5

Recap after a few glasses of Sauvignon Blanc.

College football expert Joe said Georgia needed to win. Joe has dyed his hair blond.

It is a medical marvel since he used to part his hair the other way before he began to date Mika.

Lemire said Alabama could win next year.

I remember when Joe went on a few rants denouncing the sport of football because players got head injuries etc. Joe would rant at any discussion of NFL football saying it was too violent etc.

However, talking about college football now is a good distraction from focusing on Covid or January 6th. 

Joe said Bryce Young has good parents.

Joe said he was born in the suburb of Atlanta & liked football when he was 5 years old.

Joe made fun of Hershel Walker running for a Senate seat in Georgia.

Mika promoted Rev Al's book from Washington.

Biden supports changing the filibuster rule for voting rights.

Mika said Stacey Abrams won't be at the event in Georgia.

Joe said she has to take her car in for a tuneup.

Mika was annoyed.

Joe said Biden is so unpopular in Georgia that Abrams wouldn't dare appear with him.

Rev Al said he isn't sure why she is not going to be there.

Rev Al will attend the event. Voting rights are an important issue.

Mika told Joe that Abrams helped Biden, Ossof & Warnock win in 2020.

Mika told Joe he doesn't appear at events. Yikes !

I suppose she was referencing Joe leaving the show when they had Senators or Presidential candidates on the show that Joe didn't like.

Joe said he wasn't criticizing Stacey. Abrams could lose if she appeared with Biden.

Lemire said there are 4 Democratic Senators that are opposed to changing the filibuster.

Rev Al said Biden should have promoted the voting rights bill sooner.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 3

Willie was shocked that Abrams wouldn't show up to meet with Biden & Harris.

Joe made fun of people that are in their basements criticizing him online.

I am in the family room Joe:) I don't have a typewriter Joe.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I am not eating Cheetos Joe .

Joe said Biden is very unpopular. & he will catch fire.

Mika doesn't agree with Joe. Joe will be sleeping in Bamba's garage.

Mika is still mad at Joe & said Joe was up to late.

Joe said he watched Full House & was sad that Saget died. Lemire watched America' funniest Home videos.

Willie watched Fuller House.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, oakville said:

I don't have a typewriter Joe.

idk, Oakville, I do always imagine you with a typewriter, trenchcoat, fedora and cigar, in a smoky jazzy 1920s detective office with a passive-aggressive yet glamorous cat & Sauvignon blanc on a steel thermos. And then there's a small street urchin boy you give a dollar to take your impeccable typewriter-recaps to post on the internetz for our collective enjoyment.

I wonder if they'll explain why Joe is in NYC and Mika is in DC?? anyhoo, it's still so much better than Florida.

With the split locations i was kinda hoping it would be a "choose your own adventure" thing, because i definitely definitely would've chosen the Katty & Mika Rivendell Reunion Show, but noooo, they got like zero screentime damnit. i can't believe they were in the same room and barely even talked to each other.

I did enjoy Joe et al in NYC tho. and High-lemann was there!!! confused about why he was trying to take his shirt off. and telling Lemire he should give Joe a lapdance? on the plus side, we now know what Lemire actually does between appearances on the 11th Hour and Way Too Early 

how come Lupica & the Patterson guy were allowed to appear sitting together from a remote location but its totally impossible for Joe and Mika in Fl - still one of the great unsolved MJ mysteries

Joe is insane but he cracks me up. it's a bit much but for some reason i much much prefer this version of him to the pompous ass version of him. And he really is good with other humans in person imo. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, neona2 said:

idk, Oakville, I do always imagine you with a typewriter, trenchcoat, fedora and cigar, in a smoky jazzy 1920s detective office with a passive-aggressive yet glamorous cat & Sauvignon blanc on a steel thermos. And then there's a small street urchin boy you give a dollar to take your impeccable typewriter-recaps to post on the internetz for our collective enjoyment.

I wonder if they'll explain why Joe is in NYC and Mika is in DC?? anyhoo, it's still so much better than Florida.

With the split locations i was kinda hoping it would be a "choose your own adventure" thing, because i definitely definitely would've chosen the Katty & Mika Rivendell Reunion Show, but noooo, they got like zero screentime damnit. i can't believe they were in the same room and barely even talked to each other.

I did enjoy Joe et al in NYC tho. and High-lemann was there!!! confused about why he was trying to take his shirt off. and telling Lemire he should give Joe a lapdance? on the plus side, we now know what Lemire actually does between appearances on the 11th Hour and Way Too Early 

how come Lupica & the Patterson guy were allowed to appear sitting together from a remote location but its totally impossible for Joe and Mika in Fl - still one of the great unsolved MJ mysteries

Joe is insane but he cracks me up. it's a bit much but for some reason i much much prefer this version of him to the pompous ass version of him. And he really is good with other humans in person imo. 

Ha ! I remember my mom helping me type my essays on a typewriter when I was in college in the mid 1980s. I would get so stressed out if I made a spelling mistake & had to use Liquid Paper to correct the error. Home computers became popular after I finished college.

It is much more entertaining  to watch the show when they are sit around a table.

Katty looked great with her gravitas glasses & black sweater.

• Love 3

Morning Joe ratings fall to a new low of 728K total viewers ! They are still doing better than CNN at 376K but below Fox & Friends 1,271. I used the average ratings between 6-9 am for CNN & Fox News.

https://www.mediaite.com/daily-ratings/cable-news-ratings-monday-january-10-jake-tapper-draws-most-viewers-for-cnn/

Stephanie Ruhle's ratings are very good at 691K, but MSNBC trails  CNN after that  during the mid day hours.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 3

oh everyone's in DC Rivendell today! Joe and Mika are in the same room for the first time in like a month, yay!! 

w Eugene Daniels and Adrienne! their actual human selves. i've missed Adrienne. what does she do now, is she in the Biden admin?

Lemire's in NYC. Willie's in the hellscape

• Love 2

I was prepared to do a recap of the today's but I deleted it by accident on my DVR.

IIRC, the top story was the  year anniversary of President Trump's and impeachment.

Joe is mad that McCarthy & Senator Mitch are afraid of Trump. They blamed Trump for the attack on the Capitol but were friendly with him afterwards.

Joe is mad that voters aren't focused on the January 6th riot. They are too concerned with Covid, inflation etc. Why aren't they paying attention to MSNBC ?

Joe thinks DeSantis is in trouble because Trump mocked him for not revealing if he had a booster shot?

Joe said DeSantis could lose swing voters if Roe vs Wade is overturned.

The big news is that Mike Mammoli will be writing a book about Joe Biden after the 2024 election. He has covered Biden for many years.

Mike brought up the Quinnapac poll showing Biden only has 33% approval. I find it interesting that this topic wasn't discussed earlier in the show.

Joe complained about Biden comparing opponents of the Voting rights act to Jefferson Davis & Bull Connor.

Joe said he warned Biden that the Voting Right Act should have been a priority over the Build Back Better Act & the Infrastructure Bill.

Adrienne looked great in person & agreed with Joe.

Joe said Biden needs votes in the Senate to get bills passed & he shouldn't compare opponents to Jefferson Davis.

Joe is worried about Republicans taking over the House & Senate in November.

Joe said during the Clinton presidency  he would bring up his personal scandals but voters were more interested in the economy.

Mika showed off the boots she bought for her trip to Poland to visit her brother. She was upset that the camera could not focus on her new boots.

Mika's hair & makeup were excellent today. She wore a nice sweater that she probably got from Katty Kay.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

We get it Joe. This constant repetition is tiring. How many time have they replayed the same stuff. Just because the lazy ass hosts don’t want to look around for new material. Again thanks you’ve driven me to leave for work early. 

• Love 4

i can't believe they're in the studio for the fourth day in a row, I think that must be setting a record

Willie's still in the hellscape. poor Willie, it looks so dark and sad in there. I think I saw the ghost of Abigail Adams in one of the tiny windows. i feel like if Willie's wholesome ass is to be trapped anywhere it should be inside a Norman Rockwell painting

Muse! i love Starliiiiiiight

Eugene Robinson has the best giggle

2 hours ago, freddi said:

Joe, Robert Redford did NOT play Carl Bernstein in the movie.  Dustin Hoffman did.  

But I did enjoy the Bernstein interview!

Thanks- I thought I misheard that. I think Bernstein is contracted to CNN; book tours are the loophole. It was a really good interview- Bernstein never disappoints. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, jacourt said:

We get it Joe. This constant repetition is tiring. How many time have they replayed the same stuff. Just because the lazy ass hosts don’t want to look around for new material. Again thanks you’ve driven me to leave for work early. 

I think Joe realized that he will get in trouble with Mika if he starts discussing Biden's poor job approval ratings. Mika & many viewers were upset when he said that Stacey Abrams was avoiding appearing in public with Biden & Harris. Its rather fun to watch Joe focus on the January 6th riots when he admits that many voters don't care about what happened.

Mika & Joe don't have sufficient knowledge to discuss economic issues so they focus on the criticizing the GOP & Trump.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika showed off the boots she bought for her trip to Poland to visit her brother. She was upset that the camera could not focus on her new boots.

oh man, I'm just glad there was an explanation for this. At one point today they were like shuffling papers and Joe had a white sheet with a giant "NO!" on it in black marker, and I thought it maybe was directed at some intern or really unfortunate staff member who made some kind of mistake 🥴

i like the boots! they do have paved streets that they salt in winter in warsaw and in many ways are probably better at dealing w snow than DC (heh), but yeah, I'm generally in favor of decent chunky winter boots.

but for me mainly I was stressed out for whatever poor staff member that no thingy was directed at so I'm happy it was part of a joke. always be nice to staff. always be nice to waiters. etc etc. i judge people so hard on this

• Love 4

Tomorrow should be interesting. I don’t know if Mika & Joe will show up for work but Kasie Hunt announced she will be hosting CNN Early Day. 

The stock market is closed tomorrow for MLKs birthday, so I should be able to recap Morning Joe. I will record CNN since I am happy that Kasie is feeling well enough to host a tv show after recovering from brain surgery.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 4

They started the show right, with an homage to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., but then did over ten minutes on football while Rev. Al Sharpton (invited to speak about issues related to Dr. MLK Jr.) turned into a statue and glowered as they went on and on about football.  They should have waited to put him on camera until they were ready for him. 

• Love 5

Monday Recap from snowy Oakville !

The show opened up with MLK's speech on April 3rd 1968 in Memphis.

It was so powerful.

Mika is wearing an olive green jacket. Joe is wearing a suit with a new red tie.

They are in Florida.

Mika will be going to Poland this week.

Joe remembered seeing MLK's speech years later in a Baptist church.

MLK gave the speech in the rain. He was tired.

Rev Al is on set promoting his new book. Jonathan Lemire is with Rev Al.

Joe can't figure out what Dallas Cowboys were doing.

• Love 3

Rev Al said African Americans want to have their voting rights protected.  Some states are restricting voting rights.

Joe wants Mitt Romney to call the White House.

Long time viewers remember how Joe used to whine about President Obama not calling Senators & members of Congress. Joe now wants them to call the White House.

• LOL 3