Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Linda956 said:

Just as a sidenote - Joe was off Monday & Tuesday.  Wednesday he tweets that he just spent the last few days binge-watching the latest series of The Crown.  Is it wrong that my mind immediately went to, "Did Joe take 2 days off to binge-watch The Crown?" I would have no trouble believing that.

I hope that Netflix does a series similar to the Crown on Mika & Joe after the show ends.

Joe is the King of Morning Cable news if you don't count Fox & Friends's ratings.

• LOL 4

whoa that Guiliani footage is freakin terrifying. It's like the death scene in Death in Venice 

whyyy do they let always let the great opening conversations between Mika, Willie and Joe *always* devolve into Joe ranting, by himself, boring af. why do they keep removing Willie and Mika from the screen like that, it just indulges him? At one point he said to Mika "excuse me, let me finish and then you can go" - well he never did finish and she never did get to say what she wanted to say, because it went on and on and oooon   

• Love 4
5 hours ago, neona said:

whyyy do they let always let the great opening conversations between Mika, Willie and Joe *always* devolve into Joe ranting, by himself, boring af. why do they keep removing Willie and Mika from the screen like that, it just indulges him? At one point he said to Mika "excuse me, let me finish and then you can go" - well he never did finish and she never did get to say what she wanted to say, because it went on and on and oooon   

That, to me, is NOT a great opening conversation. And, by this time, we have to assume that Mika really didn't have anything she wanted to say. I think she tries to play like she has something to add, but actually seems content to just fade away, so she doesn't have to actively engage in thinking. You know, like a strong woman who knows her value. 🤕

Edited by plumbago blues
Not sure where that wonky smiley thing came from!
  • Love 2

I was shocked that Joe brought up Rachel Maddow's partner getting sick from Covid. Joe said he was praying for her.

Joe was very upset at Rudy's press conference meltdown. He said that he was a good mayor.

I wasn't surprised that Morning Joe showed Rudy's hair dye streaming down his face. They do like to make fun of their political opponents physical appearances. Nicole Wallace didn't show Rudy's hair dye.

I would think that Joe should know better after Trump made fun of Mika's face after she had plastic surgery.

I remember when Joe laughed along with candidate Trump when he made fun of a disabled reporter who changed his story about muslims cheering the collapse of the WTC in 2001.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/that-time-joe-scarborough-laughed-at-donald-trump-mocking-disabled-ny-times-reporter/

Edited by oakville
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

That, to me, is NOT a great opening conversation.

well that's fair, I mean i totally understand there are different opinions about this, but just for me, the three of them together is my favorite part... So I just don't understand why joe always has to ruin the moment by shoving Willie and Mika aside and turning the smart fun conversation into an angry solo rant nobody wants. it's so unnecessary. But YMMV, of course.

8 minutes ago, oakville said:

I wasn't surprised that Morning Joe showed Rudy's hair dye streaming down his face. They do like to make fun of their political opponents physical appearances. Nicole Wallace didn't show Rudy's hair dye.

Maybe I'm a bad person but that opening montage cracked me the fuck up, kudos to their production team. this guy literally takes the word "meltdown" to a whole other level. I keep expecting him to just burst into flames and turn into a heap of ash....whoooosh  

• Love 1

The show's last segment was about  Madeleine Albright welcoming the Czech Republic, Poland & Hungary  into NATO.

Joe told Mika that he had recommended to Albright that these 3 countries be included in NATO while he was in Congress.

Joe used the clips to discuss his book on Harry Truman. Truman started Nato.

Joe said that Biden & Truman were both underestimated.

Joe said that people mocked Truman for being a mousy man from Missouri.

Edited by oakville
  • LOL 4
8 minutes ago, neona said:

Maybe I'm a bad person but that opening montage cracked me the fuck up, kudos to their production team. this guy literally takes the word "meltdown" to a whole other level. I keep expecting him to just burst into flames and turn into a heap of ash....whoooosh  

The montage was well done. However, it's very sad to see how far Rudy has fallen since he was Mayor of NYC.

• Love 3

Joe dedicated his book on Truman to Dr Z. Mika smiled.

Ambassaor Nicholas Burns said that Mika's brother, Ian  helped with the initiative to get 7 Eastern European countries to join Nato.

Joe joked that Ian wanted Russia to join Nato.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, cased said:

I just took a look at the digital free sample of Joe’s book, and in the first sentence, Joe mentioned that he served in Congress. 

After reading this I jammed over to Anazon to order the Kindle free sample but that option isn't available and neither is the "Look Inside" feature.

Maybe that's because it's still a few days until the release date? Will check back on the 24th.

But.. there are 4 glowing reviews... from Meacham, McCaskill, Robinson and Ignatius. 

Heilemann didn't make the cut? LOL

The reviewers' bona fides are fully fluffed for display:  Pulitzer Prize–winning historian,  WaPo-NBC news   columnist-analyst, former US Senator, more Pulitzers and best selling author.

Those who don't watch the show will think "Wow, look at the caliber of these reviewers." 

Yikes, a full tilt snow job.

The dedication to Dr Z is the frosting on the celebratory sheet cake. Ambien and sheet cake for everyone!

Edited by suomi
typo
  • LOL 5
59 minutes ago, suomi said:

After reading this I jammed over to Anazon to order the Kindle free sample but that option isn't available and neither is the "Look Inside" feature.

The free sample that I saw was in Apple Books

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

can I just say, I love love love the music on this show... do they have like a musical director? The Jim Croce this morning was literally the highlight of my day

2 hours ago, suomi said:

Ambien and sheet cake for everyone!

well...i'll have what *she's* having..........

• Love 2
3 hours ago, oakville said:

I was shocked that Joe brought up Rachel Maddow's partner getting sick from Covid. Joe said he was praying for her.

Joe was very upset at Rudy's press conference meltdown. He said that he was a good mayor.

I would think that Joe should know better after Trump made fun of Mika's face after she had plastic surgery.

I remember when Joe laughed along with candidate Trump when he made fun of a disabled reporter who changed his story about muslims cheering the collapse of the WTC in 2001.

It's shit like this that makes Joe look like a desperate wanna be...always with the cheap shots and personal attacks. He actually proves himself to be "a simple country lawyer redneck". I understand he did some of the accent "humor" a few times this week. How obtuse is he that he regularly does that  while sitting next his wife whose own parents have accents different from his? And how does she tolerate that? BTW, her Instagram today shows the dedication page from the book.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:35 AM, neona said:

i love Meacham but whyyyy does he always look like he should be holding a skull in his hand while doing his anguished talking? my brain literally refers to him as "Hamlet". and why on earth is there no light in his fake-ass library? it makes no sense because he's actually really smart and interesting...like whats with the unnecessary gloom and doom... 

[...]

You'll love this.  Meacham has a little studio in his basement.  Whitewashed basement walls, two tall studio lights, a permanent chair/camera set-up, and a flat Olan Mills backdrop of library books.

4 hours ago, oakville said:

The show's last segment was about  Madeleine Albright welcoming the Czech Republic, Poland & Hungary  into NATO.

Joe told Mika that he had recommended to Albright that these 3 countries be included in NATO while he was in Congress.

Joe used the clips to discuss his book on Harry Truman. Truman started Nato.

Joe said that Biden & Truman were both underestimated.

Joe said that people mocked Truman for being a mousy man from Missouri.

Heh.  Remember when Chris Matthews wrote a book about Bobbie Kennedy and then every news story for the rest of his tenure was somehow Bobbie Kennedy-centric?

• Love 3
On 11/19/2020 at 12:35 PM, neona said:

i love Meacham but whyyyy does he always look like he should be holding a skull in his hand while doing his anguished talking? my brain literally refers to him as "Hamlet". and why on earth is there no light in his fake-ass library? it makes no sense because he's actually really smart and interesting...like whats with the unnecessary gloom and doom... 

He should take a look at fellow historian Michael Beschloss' setup. I covet that room.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, candall said:

You'll love this.  Meacham has a little studio in his basement.  Whitewashed basement walls, two tall studio lights, a permanent chair/camera set-up, and a flat Olan Mills backdrop of library books

I do love this.  I had no idea, and some articles have noted his excellent book collection.  

11 hours ago, Eliot said:

Just now, Mika literally plagiarized an entire paragraph from a Washington Post column without attribution. I know this because I happened to be reading the article at the time.

I think she did the same thing to the same paragraph later in the show (and not just the rerun of hour one).  When I read the piece in WaPo later, I was amazed that she was so blatant about taking their material as her own.

Of course, Joe said today that "college-educated people, and law school graduates get their news from Facebook", so maybe she thinks their viewers don't see WaPo.  (Although, to be fair, I assumed Joe was referring to himself when he said that.)  

9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

He should take a look at fellow historian Michael Beschloss' setup. I covet that room.

Oh, yes, THAT is a room worth coveting!  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

It's shit like this that makes Joe look like a desperate wanna be...always with the cheap shots and personal attacks. He actually proves himself to be "a simple country lawyer redneck". I understand he did some of the accent "humor" a few times this week. How obtuse is he that he regularly does that  while sitting next his wife whose own parents have accents different from his? And how does she tolerate that? BTW, her Instagram today shows the dedication page from the book.

Joe loves making fun of people from the South & Evangelicals that support President Trump. Joe did try a new accent this week to make fun of people from Osh Kosh, Wisconsin , but it sounded very similar to his Southern Accent.

Joe should work with a linguistics expert so he can develop other accents to mock people that don't agree with him on any given issue.

Joe has tried to make fun of Dr Z's  Polish accent in the past, but Mika didn't like it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe loves making fun of people from the South & Evangelicals that support President Trump.

I bet he did the same thing in private back when people like them were a part of his constituency in Pensacola.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, xaxat said:

oh this is fun!! if it's limited to Morning joe,  i'd want: Heilemann's kitchen, Capeheart's living room, Rattner's badass desk... as for libraries, I think Susan Rice's is so cute and cozy and i feel like she'd have the best taste in books tbh 

i'd also get Lemire's headless dog, which i would hang in the bathroom, to confuse guests

14 hours ago, cased said:

The free sample that I saw was in Apple Books

so who's gonna take one for the team and actually *read* this thing? i like history and i'm curious buuuut i think it's expensive. maybe if i find a library version 

• Love 3

omg joe is hosting by himself, being all:

giphy.gif

i mean i agree with him but it's monday morning gaaaaaaah. Have some mercy on us

ETA: oh wait, Mika is actually there..

Edited by neona
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Mika began her morning by mispronouncing the name of Joe Biden’s candidate for Secretary of State. It’s Antony, not Anthony.

You. Had. One. Job.

ETA: And I do NOT need to keep seeing that traumatizing clip of the puppy being rescued from the alligators jaws one more time. They have been playing this on MSNBC all weekend. I’m glad the puppy is OK, but that is the stuff of which nightmares are made.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 5

It was tiring to listen to joe rant about coups early in the show.

Joe said that the Republicans will probably win both Georgia Senate seats. This will force Biden to pick moderate mainstream people for his cabinet.

Joe also said that if the Democrats take control of the Senate, Joe Mancin, & Mark Kelly  will prevent Biden from picking any Progressives for the cabinet.

Kasie said the moderate GOP & Democratic Senators will take control of the Senate.

Kasie said that Mcconnell aides will text her after the show. She is in the loop.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Senator Claire was over the top in praising Joe's book today.

I don't understand why she was criticizing Greece over its role in NATO. I think she meant that Turkey was drifting towards autocrats.

Mika said she will join Joe for his interviews on the Today show.

17 minutes ago, oakville said:

What in God's name is wrong with these two?  I am almost embarrassed at this...almost.  They both deserve every bit of scorn and barbed remarks if this is going to be a "thing" throughout the tour.  Even ONE appearance together to discuss Joe's book (drink!) takes away any gravitas they have.  Oh, wait.  

• Love 6

They both know that the other cannot be trusted to behave without supervision. This is why they made their rounds together, pre-Covud.

Even when appearing remotely, if a microphone or camera is trained on one of them the other one is not going to miss an opportunity to chirp and preen. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, oakville said:

yeah, but they've always done that? idk i think it's nice. he's kinda boring on his own. but YMMV 

did you guys notice that hilariously the stack of books behind Lemire has *Joe's* book in it!! lmao bless his heart.  

I hope Virginia Heffernan comes back. not sure I share her optimism buuuut she had great energy and the Bartleby reference!! can't beat that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:

I was surfing around this morning, not really paying attention to anything, but I did see that the virus deaths numbers on MSNBC were quite a bit lower than CNN's, at the same time. Like many thousand. Makes one wonder what data we can really trust.

I don't know what explains the difference between the networks, but it could be the methodology they use.

In New York, the state and NYC start from the same data, but the difference in the way they register deaths (Primarily when they were first recorded versus when the data was reported to the state.) means that the city and the state have different numbers. Neither of them is "wrong", they just have different statistical methods. The most important thing is that all national counts show a bad trend.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

I was surfing around this morning, not really paying attention to anything, but I did see that the virus deaths numbers on MSNBC were quite a bit lower than CNN's, at the same time. Like many thousand. Makes one wonder what data we can really trust.

That's interesting because usually the CNN numbers are a bit lower than MSNBC numbers. 

• Useful 3
5 hours ago, oakville said:

Of course she will. That's Mika being Mika: always attaching herself to someone else's glory/accomplishment, whatever. Like she does with her Mother's tree art all the time. A hanger-on with FOMO.  I just can't imagine what she would add to any interview, about Truman of all people. I think Joe liked to drag her around to events and show off his prize back when she was in her sexy Bond vixen era. Now, I don't know. She drags him to her events because she is ill-equipped to carry on a public event; he brings the personality and charm.

• Love 4

Claire apologized to the entire country of Greece lol:

it was pretty obvious what she meant tho, heh

re: the talk shows, it seems to be that he's doing the book convos by himself but the talk shows is them together, which makes sense, since they are more informal and catching up with friends style... i think it's nice they are doing something fun, after all the doom and gloom

Edited by neona
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, neona said:

Claire apologized to the entire country of Greece lol:

it was pretty obvious what she meant tho, heh

re: the talk shows, it seems to be that he's doing the book convos by himself but the talk shows is them together, which makes sense, since they are more informal and catching up with friends style... i think it's nice they are doing something fun, after all the doom and gloom

It wasn’t clear to me if Mika meant she was going to be on Today, Tonight show or both. 

Edited by cased
  • Love 3

I haven't watched this show since the election.  So I tune in this morning and Joe is wearing a suit jacket and a tie, and his hair is brushed.  It's like one of those 80's movies where the sloppy guy dresses up to impress a girl.  Did someone at MSNBC call him on the carpet for looking like a slob on the air?  Is he hoping to jump ship to the Biden admin? It's strange.

Mika read a list of people who will be nominated for cabinet positions.  When she has to read a Spanish surname, she suddenly becomes Mexican American and then she messes up all the adjacent words with her weird Spanish accent.  

I'm assuming we'll hear about Joe's ambassador nomination soon.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

I haven't watched this show since the election.  So I tune in this morning and Joe is wearing a suit jacket and a tie, and his hair is brushed.  It's like one of those 80's movies where the sloppy guy dresses up to impress a girl.  Did someone at MSNBC call him on the carpet for looking like a slob on the air?  Is he hoping to jump ship to the Biden admin? It's strange.

He’s been wearing a suit and tie for the last week or so. Around the time they started promoting his new book. 

• Love 2

Mika read a list of people who will be nominated for cabinet positions.  When she has to read a Spanish surname, she suddenly becomes Mexican American and then she messes up all the adjacent words with her weird Spanish accent.  

I'm assuming we'll hear about Joe's ambassador nomination soon.

Joe is dressed up for his upcoming interview on the Today Show. He has worn a blazer since he started promoting his book during the 8:30 am- 9:00 am.

Joe did say that he was inspired by Harry Truman because  he wore a suit when he addressed Congress & met with world leaders.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

He's dressing for the fresh crop of rubes he thinks will tune in because His Book Is Being Released Today. 

Or he is making remote appearances of great import right after the show.

I noticed his WaPo opinion piece linking Biden with Truman this morning and Scrolled On By.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, suomi said:

I noticed his WaPo opinion piece linking Biden with Truman this morning and Scrolled On By.

Mika started reading Joe’s WaPo article, and I was reading some news. Several minutes later, I realized Mika was still reading the article.

• LOL 2

Joe discussed his national campaign in 1998 with Lindsay Graham & Steve Largent. Joe said they are cultural differences throughout the USA.

Joe wants Democrats to have candidates that are culturally appropriate  for their districts.

Jaime Harrison said he got more votes than Barack Obama & Bill Clinton.

He might be interested in chairing the DNC if Biden nominates him.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, oakville said:

Why does Mika call Antony Blinken Anthony ? It's rude.

Mika was excited about Avril Haines being a woman.

What did she do with Avril? (Granted, I have never heard how the woman pronounces it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came out as April from Meeks.)

Truman, Truman, Truman. Have any of the other snarky MSNBC hosts (looking at BriWi) made comments about this obsession yet?

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

What did she do with Avril? (Granted, I have never heard how the woman pronounces it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came out as April from Meeks.)

Truman, Truman, Truman. Have any of the other snarky MSNBC hosts (looking at BriWi) made comments about this obsession yet?

Mika pronounced Avril correctly.

Kasie Hunt said she read passages from Joe's book to her son Mars last night to get him to go to sleep.

• LOL 4