Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Good discussion a the end of show about former Presidents on Pearl Harbor Day . Reagan read his mail & sent cheques to people that were struggling. He sent one lady 2 cheques because she wanted to keep one a a souvenir.

Richard Haas said Ameica should use their allies to confront China.

• Love 3

Joe was outraged at Showtime's documentary on Ronald Reagan. It was very biased & mocked Reagan for his policies. The guest called it atrocious.

Mika told Joe to stop yelling at the TV. Joe loved Reagan.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe compares Trump supporters to radicals in the 1960's.

This is so like Joe.  And so wrong, in my opinion.  "Radicals" (and yes, a good many were) were not even in the same ballpark as Trump supporters.  The first was originally based on ideals regarding a no-win war, civil rights, etc.  And yes, there were bad apples; a lot loved the idea of being on tv and getting attention; a lot were rebelling against their parents, etc.  And it seemed like it would never end.  What we are seeing now is not comparable when it comes to ideals and goals. 

Also, someone mentioned that The Twins were a little grumpy or out-of-sorts today.  The glow of The Book Tour is fading a bit (from these words to God's ear); maybe sales are as good as they are going to get (again, from these words...); life is getting back to normal in the Florida bunker.   

Edited by Kemper
Added the last paragraph.
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, neona said:

dude, why is everything suddenly looking uhhh dark, and purple? and there's...dead vegetation outside the supreme court? is it some sort of reverse chromotherapy? is it just me? Sorry i'm whining lol, i think lockdown has given me some sort of seasonal affective disorder, ugh.

Quoting myself because in the 8 a.m. hour they uhhhh made it darker, removed all the light and added...more dead trees? i don't understand their trolling of people who are just longing for laughter and color and light. i mean like we don't mean any harm, we are just sad, and nostalgic, and exhausted...? 

anyhoo, guys!! i bought Joe's book, for my dad! He's just 5 years older than Joe, and he loves history, but has the attention span of a goldfish and no patience for academic books, soooo, you know, it seemed appropriate...

I read the first chapter and at least from that, it's a totally normal, pedestrian popular history book, like there's nothing weird or objectionable about it. He's definitely not the Florence Foster Jenkins of historical scholarship, which would've been the main worry when you're constantly praised by people whose paychecks depend on you. and it's quite well-written, except for a long-ass description of the state department building and the obligatory "when I was in congress" opening sentence. He's obviously had much better editors that at WaPo, where they let him ramble . if i have time i'll also read a bit more, and the final chapter, before gift wrapping it. Let me know if there's anything I should report back on for trolling purposes?? though I obviously don't have time to read the whole thing.

I hope Joe takes my hard-earned $23 and buys some flowers for Mika and a bottle of gin for Willie, for putting up with him during Truman Week.      

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Also, someone mentioned that The Twins were a little grumpy or out-of-sorts today.  The glow of The Book Tour is fading a bit (from these words to God's ear); maybe sales are as good as they are going to get (again, from these words...); life is getting back to normal in the Florida bunker.   

Mika & Joe were informed by the network that they will not get priority access to the Covid 19 vaccine even though the show has higher ratings than Fox & Friends.

• LOL 5
4 minutes ago, neona said:

Quoting myself because in the 8 a.m. hour they uhhhh made it darker, removed all the light and added...more dead trees? i don't understand their trolling of people who are just longing for laughter and color and light. i mean like we don't mean any harm, we are just sad, and nostalgic, and exhausted...? 

anyhoo, guys!! i bought Joe's book, for my dad! He's just 5 years older than Joe, and he loves history, but has the attention span of a goldfish and no patience for academic books, soooo, you know, it seemed appropriate...

I read the first chapter and at least from that, it's a totally normal, pedestrian popular history book, like there's nothing weird or objectionable about it. He's definitely not the Florence Foster Jenkins of historical scholarship, which would've been the main worry when you're constantly praised by people whose paychecks depend on you. and it's quite well-written, except for a long-ass description of the state department building and the obligatory "when I was in congress" opening sentence. He's obviously had much better editors that at WaPo, where they let him ramble . if i have time i'll also read a bit more, and the final chapter, before gift wrapping it. Let me know if there's anything I should report back on for trolling purposes?? though I obviously don't have time to read the whole thing.

I hope Joe takes my hard-earned $23 and buys some flowers for Mika and a bottle of gin for Willie, for putting up with him during Truman Week.      

I am curious about the book.

Does it deal with with Truman's decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan?

I there any discussion of what happened to President Truman after he left office?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just posted over in the Hosts thread that Phil Griffin is leaving at the end of January. Not sure if that was previously announced, but his replacement was just announced today. Maybe The Twins are less than thrilled?

Edited by Eliot
  • LOL 5

Oh, man, that was painful.  if Phil Griffin really did leave the show alone, then he was badly derelict in his duty.  
Obviously nobody’s directing today, either.  They keep putting up a misspelled chyron (“nominiate”) with ample opportunities to fix it, because the director is either asleep or inept.  

Edited by meowmommy
Because I posted the misspelling and my tablet autocorrected it!
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Mika on an agitated soliloquy:  stumbling a little over her prepared text that is meant to sound improvised.  Damning feigned ignorance of T**** tweets by lawmakers.  Squeaky outrage. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, freddi said:

Squeaky outrage. 

Excellent description! My random check in this morning showed that Mika has successfully mastered the dying fad of Valley Girl? Upspeak? With about? A question? Every few words? Painful. Add that to her flubbed lines...Rashida has her hands full with that one. 

A bright note from a check in yesterday: The guest with a Christmas tree in his room! A bit of cheer and a refreshing change from the piles of dusty books (with you know who's front and center).  (Joe Queenan did a funny piece on pundits' book shelves in Sat.'s WSJ, BTW.)

• Love 5

The show started with a clip of Trump leaving a ceremony with every one in the room.

Joe gave a long speech about Phil Griffin leaving the network. Joe was happy that he had full autonomy on the show. Tim Russert was his audience.

Tim let them make mistakes. Mika told Joe to stay at MSNBC. Mika wanted freedom from network politics.

Mika congratulated the new boss Rashida Jones. She was interviewed for KYV.

Mika took a sip of coffee from her Holiday Starbucks cup.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Joe said that Neal Shapiro & Phil Griffin invited him to 30 Rock to pitch his show. Joe was sweating.

Mika raised her Starbucks Cup with her right hand & put her left hand on the top & put it on chest. She was holding it like a baby's bottle.

This is so strange.

Joe said even when his ratings were low, Phil Griffin had Joe's back.

• LOL 4

Tech lady: "we're developing an App to monitor vaccinations...but don't worry, *you* control your health data"

Yeah...ok. that sounds legit!

I'm technically an immigrant so from when i was a kid I have this yellow World Health Organization booklet thingy with vaccination entries - what's wrong with that? An international certification system run by doctors? Why the fuck would we give big tech control of this? //rant over

anyhoo Joe Manchin is the best storyteller ever with a badass mask to boot.  

ETA: actually, WHO are already on this. https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/estonia-and-who-to-jointly-develop-digital-vaccine-certificate-to-strengthen-covax

Seriously guys, let experts do this, not fucking facebook. i can't even.

Edited by neona
  • Love 2

Since Meeka already seems "chummy" with the new boss...I am afraid The Twins are here to say; and Joe will only get worse.  Worser.  Worstest.  Thank you, Keith Olbermann.  

Let's don't forget...Top Ten bestseller on the NY Times list!  We will never be able to forget it.  And now that I have heard from a few of you about how the List works...my world continues to shift towards the Dark Side.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Kasie thanked Mika & Joe for being given the opportunity to host a how on the network.

What? Was her show cancelled? What a suck up. So much for knowing her value...she needed those two to make her mark? Sad. And no great loss if she's a goner. Couldn't ever warm up to her.

15 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Since Meeka already seems "chummy" with the new boss...I am afraid The Twins are here to say; and Joe will only get worse.  Worser.  Worstest.  Thank you, Keith Olbermann.  

Let's don't forget...Top Ten bestseller on the NY Times list!

Good points. She with her KYV and his sudden shot to literary preeminence; sounds impressive but they still can't produce a worthwhile, watchable show. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Since Meeka already seems "chummy" with the new boss...I am afraid The Twins are here to say

I half expected her to ask the new boss what it was like to work on 'Parks and Recreation'...

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Who does he dedicate the book to? Mika?

Hmm well it says "To the memory of Dr Brzezinski and all those public servants who dedicated their lives to liberating Europe from the  scourge of Soviet communism". So to Dr B but also state dept staff in general I guess? i think it's a nice gesture.

• Love 1

On national TV, on Joey's own show, Dr Z said he viewed him as stunningly superficial to such a degree that it was embarrassing to listen to him speak. I wrap myself in that warm and comforting blanket regardless of the causes and campaigns Joey latches onto. 

I bow to Dr Z's discernment and expertise. His legacy and aura are the antithesis of his daughter's KYV scam and lack of professional deportment as a news reader, FFS, and Joey's pursuit of the mantle of elder stateman. They are desperately thirsty and because of that their shallow and fleeting stances lack validity. 

But I realize that MMV on this. 

• Love 10

Wednesday Recap. Joe is off today. Mika & Willie are co hosting. Lemire said that Trump is upset that the Supreme Court didn't rule in his favor.

There is no deal between the Supreme Court Justices appointed by Trump to help him win the election.

Steele is worried about Trump' base not accepting the election results.

• Love 4

Kasie and Willie did a nice job interviewing Jake Sherman about the progress of a Covid relief package in Congress.  Kasie is good at posing substantive questions without being pompous and she doesn't seem overly partisan.

Apparently Joe is using his book tour as an apology for Morning Joe's content.  I found a number of stories about Joe expressing contrition, like this one:   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/news/joe-scarborough-regrets-hosting-trump-so-often-ahead-of-2016-election-i-wish-it-hadnt-happened/amp/

Joe can't undo his past shows. Also it's dumb to do something for ratings and then apologize way after the fact.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Mika was upset about someone tweeting that they were willing to give their life for the Trump election fight.

Steele doesn't want people to do anything rash about the election. He said it's ok for Trump supporters to sniff glue but they shouldn't tweet.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Mika was excited about Biden's cabinet picks. Marcia Fudge will be the HUD Secretary & Tom Vilsack will be the Secretary of Agriculture.

Lemire noted that some Democrats are upset about Biden picking a former General to be Secretary of Defense. He needs a waiver like General Mattis. Lemire said the General is African American so it is a historic pick.

Senator Doug Jones & Judge Garland could be Attorney General.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika was upset about someone tweeting that they were willing to give their life for the Trump election fight.

Steele doesn't want people to do anything rash about the election. He said it's ok for Trump supporters to sniff glue but they shouldn't tweet.

this cracked me up, LMAO Michael Steele is so badass. I think he's literally the reason I survived the rollercoaster drama of Election Night, when he came on and said "relaaaax, it's all good!"....did you guys see him on the ReidOut basically auditioning for Doctor Who:

it's literally the most awesome thing i've ever seen.

• Love 3

Eddie Glaude said the USA didn't become a full democracy until 1965. His parents weren't allowed to vote in Mississippi.

He is not surprised about Texas trying to disqualify other states votes.

Mika said there are many African Americans living in Detroit, Milwaukee & Philadelphia that would have their votes thrown out if the Supreme Court agreed with Trump.

• Love 2

Al Sharpton & other civil rights leaders met virtually with Joe Biden yesterday. Glaude said you need more than black faces in high places. You need to have substantive policies that help African Americans.

Barnicle said there are many poor black kids suffering in public schools. Remote learning has been a disaster. There are broadband deserts.

• Love 3

Al Sharpton said that he wanted a black attorney general like Deval Patrick or Tony West . He reminded Biden that he went to Houston & met with George Floyd's family. His daughter said that George will change the world. Sharpton wants someone who has a civil rights background.

Doris Kearns Goodwin showed up. She discussed how LBJ liked to meet with Senators & Congressmen to end segregation. He wined & dined them in the White House.

Joe Biden knows many people in Congress & the Senate. He can work with people in both parties.

Her book on LBJ was a NY Times best sellers like Joe's book on Truman.

Claire blamed Mitch McConnell for training his Senators to accept the leadership positions. Individual Senators have less power now.

Claire has a nicely decorated Christmas Tree.

• Love 3

General Colin Powell & Senator Claire support Lloyd Austin for Defense Secretary. Biden knows Lloyd.

Mika was excited about Forbes 100 most powerful women. Mika narrowly missed being on the list.

Mika said that is working with Forbes on Women over 50 who have achieved success. Mika is inspired.

• LOL 4

I don’t watch nearly as much as I used to - so I really haven’t noticed how often Meeka stumbles over words, sentences, and pronunciations.  Until this morning. Geez.  The elementary school kids ( the 5th graders) in one of my workplaces used to do a reading of school news and the pledge over the PA system.  A couple of them may have exhibited future criminal enterprise in the halls but they took their responsibilities seriously. They were prepared and eager.  No vulgar noises, snickering or bullying. 

People here have been commenting on her delivery but today is was truly shocking. Sadly, she seems to have wormed her way into the good graces of the new boss. And Joe thinks he is married to political royalty - so Her Nibs will be staying as long as Foghorn.  The hope that they would be moving to Peacock was just wishful thinking.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, oakville said:

Doris Kearns Goodwin showed up. She discussed how LBJ liked to meet with Senators & Congressmen to end segregation. He wined & dined them in the White House.

Joe Biden knows many people in Congress & the Senate. He can work with people in both parties.

Listening to all of these historians come on the show to talk about "how Joe Biden can learn from past presidents" just reminds me of all those oh-so-earnest discussions back in 2016 about how Donald Trump was also going to "learn from past presidents" to "develop a governing philosophy" (tm David Ignatius).

Eddie Glaude said the USA didn't become a full democracy until 1965. His parents weren't allowed to vote in Mississippi.

He is not surprised about Texas trying to disqualify other states votes.

I will never forgive Eddie Glaude, Jr. for his contribution to depressing turnout in 2016. He needs to pipe down right now.

Mika on an agitated soliloquy:  stumbling a little over her prepared text that is meant to sound improvised.  Damning feigned ignorance of T**** tweets by lawmakers.  Squeaky outrage. 

Had to come back and comment on this truly awesome description of Mika's delivery. "Agitated soliloquy" and "squeaky outrage" are both 100% spot on.

Edited by Eliot
Edited because "squeaky outrage"!
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika was excited about Biden's cabinet picks.

Yeah, I also remember when she was excited to be invited to Trump's New Year's Eve party after the 2016 election. . . 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Eliot said:

"Agitated soliloquy" and "squeaky outrage" are both 100% spot on.

I wrote the “squeaky outrage” comment, and also thought this would be a good band name for Mika.

She (no Joe today) had a great legal commentator on in the first hour (“Ben”), who told her not to lose focus on the virus tragedy  by talking about the “ridiculous” frivolous lawsuits.  

So of course immediately she responded with cry-talking about the lawsuits and inauguration.  Gah.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Liberty said:

Katty Kay was sporting a look I had not seen before!

Maybe she is preparing for Brexit.

I love Katty's glasses & velour jacket. She is auditioning for a part in the new Austin Powers Movie as a Bond Villainness.

• LOL 5

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but Josh Barro must have been drinking some Kickapoo Joy Juice this morning.  He was talking about how 2021 would be a much better year (could it get any worse?) with the vaccines and a "normal" president. 

It's nice to be optimistic but he lost me talking about how people who have money saved up because they haven't had opportunities to spend due to shutdowns, will be spending in 2021.  Sure, there are people like himself who most certainly do have money saved, but he seemed to be oblivious to the the fact that people have lost jobs and income.  Mika brought up the latest jobless claims numbers to throw some reality on him.  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

"I'm hearing from my sources."

Mika has sources??  Maybe at the bake shop...

Or eavesdropping on the many calls coming from Joe's "sources".

I happened to see a snippet of her trying to ask a question of a guest and she seemed quite unsure of herself (duh) and kept glancing off to her right...was Joe standing there with flash cards?

• LOL 4