Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

This AM on MJ  I found out that Trump registered to run for reelection in 2020 like 5 hours after he was inaugurated.  The Ultimate Trumpian Gesture!!! Never knew this--wild!

Oakville--please make sure you take multivitamin and snack breaks today in between your pithy commentary! I'm working from home today (translation: listening to nonstop election coverage and muting it during zoom calls) if you need proofreading help or your brow (virtually) mopped!!

Ha! I bought a few bottles of wine & a cheese platter to have while watching the election coverage. Our family is excited about the election.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I don't get the decision to have Joe and Mika on Peacock.  Brian Williams is the prime time star of MSNBC, and the network spends a lot of money on the studio, graphics, and music.  It seems to me that Joe could have had a role on that broadcast with color commentary( the Chris Matthews spot).  Chris would talk about his people in Philly, with references to his blue collar roots and his old boss Tip O'Neill.  Having lived in Pennsylvania,  I always found Chris comforting and familiar.   There is no one currently on MSNBC who can fill that gap. 

Chris Matthews knowledge of Pennsylvania  politics would have been  very useful tonight.  Unfortunately, Chris went off the rails during the Democratic primaries when he accused Bernie Sanders supporters of wanting to lynch him from a tree in Central Park .

MSNBC could also rehire former Pennsylvania Governor, Ed Rendell. He used to be a regular panelist on Morning Joe.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Well, and also because there's no one left to present on that lame platform. All the legits are taken. It's no "honor", Meeks.

Here's what I'm wondering. Will Joshua Johnson, who actually does host on Peacock in the afternoon news show, (I know this becos I follow him on Twitter and he tweeted about it yesterday, asking "if you're watching let us know if you like the show or what we can do better", words we will NEVER in a bazillion years come out of Joe's mouth), if they have Joshua on MSNBC tonight and JoMika are on Wayne's World Bargain Basement Election Coverage. 

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!! 

• LOL 4

Ha! I bought a few bottles of wine & a cheese platter to have while watching the election coverage. Our family is excited about the election.

Studies have found that calories consumed on Election Days aren't absorbed, so I'm treating myself to a WaWa hoagie, chips and soda.

Wayne's World Bargain Basement Election Coverage.

WE'RE NOT WORTHY! 

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Chris is second only to Joe in interrupting people.  Brian actually comes from a blue collar background in New Jersey.  

NBC spent a shit ton of money launching Peacock, and it has a news division, so I guess they felt they should have election night covered.  I cannot imagine the conversation that went on when they either told Joe he would do this, or he brought up being on the panel at MSNBC and they told him, no you can host the coverage on Peacock. 

Peacock TV: The RC Cola of election coverage.  Featuring Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski. The New Coke & Edsel of Political Pundits. 

On a recent episode of Morning Joe, Joe bragged about not being a company man at NBC & willing to confront the executives when he felt they had done something wrong. Joe felt he was statesmanlike when he allowed the network to terminate Mark Halperin, Matt Lauer & Chris Matthews.

Joe was also sympathetic to the network's decision to suspend Brian Williams & demote him to the 11th hour on MSNBC.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I don't get the decision to have Joe and Mika on Peacock.  Brian Williams is the prime time star of MSNBC

He is...? idk they did this election special thing on Sunday, and I DVR'd it and skipped ahead through the Williams parts (he was at a weird desk, far away??)  to get to my girls Nicole, Joy and Rachel, the three Fucking Badass Musketeers of 2020. I love that that it's now basically an all-women primetime panel and nobody bats an eye, and it's... the BEST it's ever been.

I still love Joe and Mika, idk, they're a comforting part of my morning, but I'd wish they'd step it up a little on special occasions, when everyone else is. Still find it nuts they won't even reunite them on election night, when rumor has it, they live in the same house (?). But maybe its a complicated thing to do idk.

1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

Oakville--please make sure you take multivitamin and snack breaks today in between your pithy commentary!

yup, thanks Oakville...gonna be a looong night

giphy.gif

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, neona said:

He is...? idk they did this election special thing on Sunday, and I DVR'd it and skipped ahead through the Williams parts (he was at a weird desk, far away??)  to get to my girls Nicole, Joy and Rachel, the three Fucking Badass Musketeers of 2020. I love that that it's now basically an all-women primetime panel and nobody bats an eye, and it's... the BEST it's ever been.

I still love Joe and Mika, idk, they're a comforting part of my morning, but I'd wish they'd step it up a little on special occasions, when everyone else is. Still find it nuts they won't even reunite them on election night, when rumor has it, they live in the same house (?). But maybe its a complicated thing to do idk.

yup, thanks Oakville...gonna be a looong night

giphy.gif

I would be happy if Mika's cats & Bamba showed up with her chainsaw to liven up the set.

I love Toby!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, neona said:

Neona my love your ability to endure this insanity is at Saint level.   Do we need to schedule an intervention?  

Yes I turn it on because I'm a Taurus and we're nothing if not creatures of habit to the point of not realizing something better is out there, but just as quickly flip on Netflix and watch my friends Josh and Toby and Donna and CJ save the world.  

I know my sister thinks I'm obsessed with these two knuckleheads but it just infuriates me that there is so much talent at MSNBC and this is the best they can do for a three hour political talk show.  

FOR FUCK SAKE. It is Election Day 2020 and they couldn't even stay on live at 8 am!!!! 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, neona said:

Williams parts (he was at a weird desk, far away??) 

He still broadcasts from home I believe.  He may be on set tonight.

Brian has done a lot to come back from his problem with misremembering the story about being in Iraq. TBH, I would imagine going thru that it's easy to get confused as to what happened, he was on one helicopter in a group and the other one took on enemy fire,  he certainly didn't have any reason to lie about the experience, he's well known for going places that could be dangerous to report.

Unlike the bullshit Joe has pulled and hasn't even gotten a slap on the wrist.  

Brian's show is now very highly rated.   He got 2.1 million viewers recently, Joe gets about 1.3 million.  So one million more people are staying up til midnight to watch Brian, and people who get up in the morning anyway, aren't watching Joey. Yikes. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2019/12/24/how-brian-williams-made-11-pm-the-hottest-hour-in-cable-news/?sh=446aefd71fa4

Thus the reason Brian is hosting on MSNBC tonight and Joe & Mika are on Peacock. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Neona my love your ability to endure this insanity is at Saint level.   Do we need to schedule an intervention?

ok i'm there!! but only if kemper makes me a gin-infused wine cocktail!

giphy.gif 

i can't believe it's only 2 p.m. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. 

Hurry up, universe, speed up this karma shit so we can all breathe again

Edited by neona
  • Love 1
On 11/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, Eliot said:

Does anyone else get 2016 PTSD from that music?

YES!!!

I know that Joe knows everything about Florida and so probably mentioned it on the show, but just in case--as one of the Floridians in this group, I feel the need to point out that the very conservative Panhandle is in the Central Time Zone. The polls close an hour later than the rest of FL. I have been fooled, more than once, I'm afraid, by thinking things would go one way only to be hit with the reality of that time difference.

Be well, friends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, oakville said:

I've got my Jack & Coke and Cheez-its ready.  I think I'll be semi-drunk no matter which way it goes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

YES!!!

I know that Joe knows everything about Florida and so probably mentioned it on the show, but just in case--as one of the Floridians in this group, I feel the need to point out that the very conservative Panhandle is in the Central Time Zone. The polls close an hour later than the rest of FL. I have been fooled, more than once, I'm afraid, by thinking things would go one way only to be hit with the reality of that time difference.

Be well, friends.

I remember when the networks called Florida in 2000 for VP Gore before the polls had closed in the Panhandle.

Congressman Scarborough was livid & went on TV to complain that no one calls the state before SCARBOROUGH COUNTRY has voted.

The networks were scared of Joe & reversed the call. On that night, a future TV Star & political prophet was born.

There is a statue of Joe in Pensacola Park to commemorate the occasion.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I just signed up for the free version of Peacock, so I might check out Joe and Mika tonight. Don't ask, I have no idea why.

My week long plan to prepare for election night is now complete. it actually started when I voted last week and ended today when I hit up the local micro-brewery and the liquor store. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Nicolle just gave away her 5 p.m. hour to Chris hayes (why??) , so in the meantime I'm listening to her podcast she did with Heilemann, and it's pretty epic...highly recommended... 

ETA: and to his credit, he asks some pretty relevant questions about the Palin debacle

Edited by neona
20 minutes ago, neona said:

Nicolle just gave away her 5 p.m. hour to Chris hayes (why??) , so in the meantime I'm listening to her podcast she did with Heilemann, and it's pretty epic...highly recommended... 

Probably to rest up. She's got a long night ahead of her at the big kids' table.

Joe and Mika aren't fooling anyone. I don't care how "honored" they claim to be about being relegated to Peacock. They're pissed and they can barely conceal it.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 2

Brian Williams still feels like some sort of prom-dad chaperone to me. Why is he there, and why is he in a totally different location? I like him but I kinda don't get it...anyhooo....Joy, Nicolle, Rachel...THANK YOU, and have mercy on our fragile selves...!! godspeed

8 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe may have also demanded that Rachel Maddow be banned from the studio. Joe does not get along with her.

Her intelligence and work ethic make him look bad by comparison. And she's a mere woman! How dare she?!?! 

Joe should record his own version of the old Julie Brown song: "I like 'em blonde and stupid/I like 'em blonde and real dumb!'

• LOL 1

I'm trying Peacock now, for a bit... Joe is wearing a tie, which is a fucking miracle. But it's still a bit depressing? There are some weird cartoonish backdrops, even worse than the usual one? And it still makes no sense to me that they're still separating Joe and Mika. Happy to see Claire McCaskill tho!! 

ETA oh an Rachel Bitecofer!

Edited by neona
  • Love 1

ok I have a system now! keeping both on simultaneously, watching my girls & Kornacki, then switching to the MJ stream when Brian Williams comes on

i still don't get why they have to make this so fucking complicated though.  i miss Old Times morning Joe sooooooo much right now, like if they were gonna do this why wouldn't they do it fun trademark morning joe...not this...zoom convention for accountants, idk

ETA: OMG WILLIE is at the board...i thought they were joking about this! I love you Willie, but no, just no. wtf. Thank god I still have kornacki on my ipad LMAO

Edited by neona
  • Love 1

this is actually fucking stressful. I feel like I'm dividing my attention between divorced parents!!! why, MSNBC, whyyyyy?

Also it's nuts,  I kinda thought the whole point of the MJ online alternative was that there would be a more fun informal option for younger people etc and this is like...the opposite? no fun, no banter, stupid split screens, more weirdo photoshop backdrops than usual. c'mon guys, it's once in a lifetime....

ETA: I don't even think Mika is there?

Edited by neona
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

Her intelligence and work ethic make him look bad by comparison. And she's a mere woman! How dare she?!?! 

Joe should record his own version of the old Julie Brown song: "I like 'em blonde and stupid/I like 'em blonde and real dumb!'

Mika used to brag that she had the lowest SAT scores of anyone accepted at Williams College.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, neona said:

I'm trying Peacock now, for a bit... Joe is wearing a tie, which is a fucking miracle. But it's still a bit depressing? There are some weird cartoonish backdrops, even worse than the usual one? And it still makes no sense to me that they're still separating Joe and Mika. Happy to see Claire McCaskill tho!! 

ETA oh an Rachel Bitecofer!

Thank for the update!. I can't access Peacock here, so I am curious if Joe has predicted who will win Florida.

1 hour ago, oakville said:

Thank for the update!. I can't access Peacock here, so I am curious if Joe has predicted who will win Florida.

Tuning out, tbh. i feel sad, because I was looking forward to it, I had high expectations....gah I miss this show but i think i need to accept it's just a different thing now.... but yeah, it was too hard to watch two things at once, so to avoid a schizophrenic breakdown,  sticking with Rachel, Joy and Nicolle, because they are fucking awesome....

Btw, they seem to be sharing people like Claire, the Rev, etc - so WHY ON EARTH aren't they sharing Kornacki, this is nuts

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, neona said:

Gaaaah I wish they'd compare these results with the most recent polls, so we could assess just how fucked we are.... or not...idk I'm worried..

If they did show the polls & compared it to actual results, they would lose credibility.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Tom Brokaw just appeared on NBC news tonight from the undisclosed barn he is reporting from. He is still wearing a navy blue blazer over a white hospital gown. Luckily his hair has been combed & his glasses are on straight. He said that Trump is doing better than expected.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Joe aid the Biden campaign was right to wait a few days before all the ballots are counted.

The election is much closer than expected & Joe said he was right about the polls overestimating Biden's lead.

Willie said Trump isn't a fluke. The Republicans are doing better than expected in the Senate.

• Love 1

Eddie Glaude agreed with Joe. Eddie said that black voters in Atlanta,Milwaukee & Detroit will put Biden in the White House.

Trump was focused on  getting more voters from his base rather than appealing to other groups.

51 minutes ago, oakville said:

Katty Kay said that the polls overestimated support for Democrats. Katty said that Europeans are confused by Trump's political strength.

Except all the votes HAVE NOT BEEN COUNTED.  They're counting Election Day votes first, instead of early and absentee/mail in votes.  Last I heard Joe Biden was 3 million votes ahead, and that's without a lot of votes counted, so maybe the polls aren't that wrong. 

In 2018, it took a week for the Blue Wave to show itself. 

Perhaps the media could, oh I don't know, SHUT THE FUCK UP. Let the votes be counted.

• Love 8

Joe actually calmed me down considerably this morning...by which I mean, he transformed my heart-rendering scream of existential anguish into a terrified whimper

He certainly was right about not trusting the polls

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, neona said:

Joe actually calmed me down considerably this morning...by which I mean, he transformed my heart-rendering scream of existential anguish into a terrified whimper

He certainly was right about not trusting the polls

Except no one was really trusting the polls, everyone knew it was tighter than it appeared. 

Joe didn't say anything that the Biden campaign wasn't saying.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, oakville said:

Morning Joe started 1 hour earlier than normal. I found the early hour on my DVR.

Mika started off by misreading the electoral votes for Joe Biden. She said he had 220  EV votes when he had 224

I turned on the tv at 5:30 am and saw Joe bellowing about how he's always right and he was right before, blah blah barf.  Turned it off.

The last thing I need this morning is his bullshit. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Gosh Joe might have helped if you realized this in 2015. 

Maybe stop letting your own ego  & ambition color your opinion of people? 

"we were very tough on Trump we never let him say stuff that was outrageous or false, we didn't give him a pass,   we didn't want to go to Mar A Lago, he begged us to come, we wanted an interview and had to go there to talk to him, (phones don't work in FL) 

How many lies can I remember off the top of my head? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Joe said the Democrats expectations were crushed in the Senate & House.

Joe said the internal polls were wrong. Joe's sources warned him that Trump would do better than expected.

Willie mocked ABC for having a poll showing Biden winning Wisconsin by 17%.

Willie was silent about the NBC poll showing Biden winning nationally by 10%

• Love 3
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Perhaps the media could, oh I don't know, SHUT THE FUCK UP. Let the votes be counted.

Could you please say that again for the people in the back, the media is the worst... My contempt for them has grown exponentially, I just can't with them..

• Love 7