Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

WHY ARE THERE CRICKET SOUNDS ON THIS SHOW???? I mean ACTUAL crickets sounds, not the metaphorical cricket sounds that occur when Mika makes one of her numerous pronunciation gaffes. Occurring around 7 and again around 8:30 (same segment repeating)

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Last week I thought one of them mentioned having Bob Woodward on at some point this week.  Did I imagine that?  Isn't Woodward's book coming out today?  I am sure Joe has already written a good bit of his  next op-ed about it.

• Love 2

Why does Joe continue to wear the same sweater on every show ? There are more white specks on it.

Who does the laundry at the Scarborough estate ?

The crickets were chirping at the White House when Lemire was doing his cable hit.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Joe told the story of how much Democrats in Congress in 1994 hated Bill Clinton. They set up anti aircraft guns in their districts that would be used in case Air Force One landed nearby. Joe used the story to illustrate how unpopular Bill Clinton was as President.

Joe bragged that he won his district in 1994 in a landslide & ended years of Democrats holding the district. Joe said that fireworks went off when he was announced as the winner that evening.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe told the story of how much Democrats in Congress in 1994 hated Bill Clinton. They set up anti aircraft guns in their districts that would be used in case Air Force One landed nearby. Joe used the story to illustrate how unpopular Bill Clinton was as President.

WHAT????? 

• LOL 1
6 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

WHAT????? 

Joe used the point to discuss how unpopular President Trump is that  Republican Senator McSally refused to attend the Latinos for Trump event last night in Arizona.

I suspect that Joe was joking about Democrats setting up weapons to shoot down Air Force One.

I do recall Clinton being unpopular in 1994 due to some tax increases he had proposed.

Francesco Desoto told Joe that Trump won't do as well with Latinos as the polls suggest.

• Love 2

Joe spoke to a top banker,small business lawyer, finance CEO  & restaurant owners told Joe that there will be an economic depression in 2021 no matter who is President. Joe said there will be economic chaos.

Ratner didn't think there would be a Depression. The recovery will be slow in 2021.

People that are working in hotels & restaurants will continue to suffer.

• Love 1

I tuned in just as Lemire was saying “trees don’t normally explode”. So yeah, there’s that, aaaaaah, plz can NORMALITY return soon.

I feel bad for Mika. Today you could tell she made an effort to participate, you could hear her talking off camera, trying to get in there, and Joe would just ignore it and go “So Willie...So Lemire...” If Mika spends so much time mentoring newslings I wish at least one of them would return the favor and tell her to organize some better conditions for herself. I’m sick of Joe and his sweater, at least before when he was being an ass at least we had an option to look at Mika rolling her eyes rather than being held hostage to him and his grumpy grandpa face.

On the plus side it is clear the crickets were there to tell Lemire how goddamn handsome he is!!

and Rattner... is smart, and actually gets it. I was literally laughing when he was giving his actual expert opinion and Joe was all “yeaaaaah but anecdotally, based on 3 guys I know”.... omg. Joe baby I enjoy you but chill on the ego lmao

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, neona said:

and Rattner... is smart, and actually gets it. I was literally laughing when he was giving his actual expert opinion and Joe was all “yeaaaaah but anecdotally, based on 3 guys I know”.... omg. Joe baby I enjoy you but chill on the ego lmao

Joe's knowledge of economics & the stock market is weak. The fiscal & monetary stimulus provided has reduced the odds of an economic depression. I was happy that Ratner disagreed with Joe.

Joe's self imposed exile from NY & Washington has forced  the show to use Dr Dave as his chief medical guest & the Palm Beach D.A. as their chief legal guest.

On the other hand, the show has brought several new African American guests like Shawna Thomas on the show. It's good to get a different perspective on issues.

I am surprised that Adrienne Elrod hasn't appeared on the show in a long time but she is busy helping run the Biden campaign.

• Love 4

A CNN poll of 809 voters shows Biden up by 9 points.  Joe thinks the president screwed up by having gas sprayed in Lafayette Park and holding his Bible upside down.  Joe claims the point is that Wisconsin is a big swing state.  

Willie thinks everyone in Wisconsin is reading Bob Woodward's book, and the book informs their decisions. Willie used the poll discussion to promote his upcoming interview with Woodward.  I get tired of media people fluffing each other and cross promoting their books.

I sure hope they talk about Watergate, too, since I have never heard Woodward talk about it.  I always feel like I'm listening to a high school QB relive the state championship.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 4

Following Woodward's thoughts was very difficult this morning.  Then when he was responding to Joe, it was a doubly challenging.

Getting real tired of the way some try to lead their guests to support their opinions.  It's important for me to remember it is an opinion show, and facts are only presented when necessary to support an opinion.

At least I do not recall Woodward saying 'that's right Joe'.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, oakville said:

On the other hand, the show has brought several new African American guests like Shawna Thomas on the show. It's good to get a different perspective on issues.

That's the new head of MSNBC's doing.  There was a mandate issued when he took over that more women and minorities would be brought in as show anchors and analysts. 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

That's the new head of MSNBC's doing.  There was a mandate issued when he took over that more women and minorities would be brought in as show anchors and analysts. 

I am glad that Joe listened to the head of MSNBC.

I was surprised that Joe allowed Woodward to speak during the interview. It was very unlike him.

Joe also allowed Speaker Pelosi to discuss her concerns.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, oakville said:

I was surprised that Joe allowed Woodward to speak during the interview. It was very unlike him.

Me too. I turned it on around 7:30 and I was shocked that Woodward talked more than Joe. 

Joe & Mika have nothing to add, they scream at a void every morning while Woodward is gathering 19 hours of interviews on the record. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I liked the Woodward interview. Joe and Mika were respectful to him and let him talk, which is good. He has this kind of innocent quality, he kept mentioning his wife like a sweet old man, then bam! straight for the jugular, heh.

You can tell he’s getting older but I still found everything he said coherent and interesting - and the thought of him running around with a tape recorder 24/7 just in case is hilarious

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Hey Woodward; It's NUCLEAR, not NUKULAR.

Four times in one answer he said it wrong. FOUR.

Otherwise, good interview. I do wish Mika would stop asking these long-winded compound questions that are clearly designed for her to show off how "thoughtful" she is. Just ask the question.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Otherwise, good interview. I do wish Mika would stop asking these long-winded compound questions that are clearly designed for her to show off how "thoughtful" she is. Just ask the question.

Mika will be using a clip of those questions at her next KYV seminar .

Edited by oakville
  • LOL 3

Hey Woodward; It's NUCLEAR, not NUKULAR.

That really bugs me too. George W. Bush was also a multiple offender. My former husband earned his Ph.D. on people's anxiety about nuclear war on the advice of his advisor who also had studied it. I still cannot believe that the professor himself mispronounced it. When GWB was in office there were lots of articles about why people choose to say nucular, one of which is that it is more folksy and makes it less threatening.

Since Kasie Hunt is going to be the lead in to Joe and Mika I was wondering if a weekday show at a god-awful hour is higher profile than a weekend show that is close to prime time. Does anyone have any insight on this? Yasmin is leaving her early morning stint to weekends. So, who was "promoted"? There has been a lot of shuffling recently which I don't understand. Ali Velshi went from a weekday stint to weekends in the new schedule.

Edited by Me from ME
I really did know how to spell her name, I was distracted
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Since Kasie Hunt is going to be the lead in to Joe and Mika I was wondering if a weekday show at a god-awful hour is higher profile than a weekend show that is close to prime time. Does anyone have any insight on this? Jasmine is leaving her early morning stint to weekends. So, who was "promoted"? There has been a lot of shuffling recently which I don't understand. Ali Velshi went from a weekday stint to weekends in the new schedule.

I don't know if Yasmin wanted out of the 5 am gig, or if she was shoved out by JoMika to make room for Kasie, their little protege.  It could be a combination of both.  I don't know what ratings are on weekend afternoons.  The fact that she was given two hours must show they have confidence in her.   She is better than Kasie at handling a show IMO.  

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Since Kasie Hunt is going to be the lead in to Joe and Mika I was wondering if a weekday show at a god-awful hour is higher profile than a weekend show that is close to prime time. Does anyone have any insight on this? Jasmine is leaving her early morning stint to weekends. So, who was "promoted"? There has been a lot of shuffling recently which I don't understand. Ali Velshi went from a weekday stint to weekends in the new schedule.

I think it is a promotion for Kasie. She won't have to run around Capitol Hill chasing people for interviews.

Kasie will also be officially part of the Morning Joe brand & have priority access to Mika & Joe.

• LOL 4
10 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Joe seems to have a permanent scowl on his face these days.  He looks miserable.  

It runs in the family; look at Mika.

They both seem to hate everything all the time. Another reason I can't watch much of the show. Daily life can be trying but Jeebus, find a little joy in something. So depressing. 

• Love 3

I've spent months with Yasmin, and will certainly miss her.  I'll have to watch CNBC now, unless that obnoxious guy is hosting.  MSNBC does not make my weekend viewing list. 

It is interesting that so many of these MSNBC personalities are at a similar stage in life, expanding their families.  Many have reproduced in the last year or two.

• Love 4

Vin Gupta, MD, MS, MPA is the medical version of Grumpy Cat

The MSNBC Contributer, Shawna Thomas says 'I haven't read the Woodward book' and then went on to expound on what the book contains.😧

Edited by Liberty
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Mika is very angry today. She complained about President Trump contradicting the CDC over the timing of the vaccine announcement & who would have first access to it. Shouldn't cable tv hosts have priority ?

Mika apologized to Dr Gupta for making him repeat the importance of wearing a mask.

I think Joe is off today.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Liberty said:

Vin Gupta, MD, MS, MPA is the medical version of Grumpy Cat

The MSNBC Contributer, Shawna Thomas says 'I haven't read the Woodward book' and then went on to expound on what the book contains.😧

I think it's fair that someone could talk about certain aspects of the Woodward book, the tapes have been on tv for a week and various excerpts are available on line without actually reading all of it yet. 

If I was Vin Gupta I think I'd be pretty grouchy too.  Considering what he and other medical experts etc  have to deal with on a daily basis, instead of doing my job I go on tv and dispute a press conference given by Donald Trump. 

ymmv

• Love 8

Willie & Lemire wanted Jason Sudeikis to reprise his role as Joe Biden for the SNL season. Maya Rudolph will play Kamala Harris.

Mika had no comment on SNL. I think she is still upset at them for making fun of her & Joe.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika is very angry today. She complained about President Trump contradicting the CDC over the timing of the vaccine announcement & who would have first access to it. Shouldn't cable tv hosts have priority ?

Mika apologized to Dr Gupta for making him repeat the importance of wearing a mask.

I think Joe is off today.

According to Page Six, Joe is out buying a new black sweater.  Just kidding.  Maybe not.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Willie & Lemire wanted Jason Sudeikis to reprise his role as Joe Biden for the SNL season. Maya Rudolph will play Kamala Harris.

I said same thing. But Jason may be filming Ted Lasso or at least in pre production of 2nd season so he's busy. 

FYI, if you have Apple TV, check out Ted Lasso. It is a calming balm for our weary souls.  It's funny and sweet and restores your faith in humanity. 

The Hispanic reporter/author who was talking to Mika about the women in ICE detention who were being subjected to hysterectomies called Mika a long time renown journalist or some adjective indicating she was a journalist with a great reputation and I about spit coffee all over my living room. 

Yeah and I'm the Queen of England.  

I was also shocked that they had three people in entertainment on today.  But Mika calling Robin & Carey "some of the stars from Princess Bride"?  Mika, they ARE THE TWO LEADS, they are the stars of Princess Bride, they are Buttercup & Westley. 

And Larry Wilmore?  Yowsa.  It's like we got in a time machine and went back to 2011. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4

I would bet Meeka has never seen Princess Bride.  I only saw the last couple minutes of that interview; it seemed that she kind of brushed them off at the end; but again, I didn’t see most of it.

I remember when Robin Wright was “Kelly” on Santa Barbara (a soap).

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I would bet Meeka has never seen Princess Bride.  I only saw the last couple minutes of that interview; it seemed that she kind of brushed them off at the end; but again, I didn’t see most of it.

Yes God forbid she know about a classic movie that is quoted constantly. 

" You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means". 

"Inconceivable"

"As you wish". 

"I am Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die". 

"Have fun storming the castle!" 

• LOL 1

I've sort of enjoyed the last couple of days with trimmed-down panels. Maybe because I have a goldfish memory but it's so confusing and disjointed when there are like 12 of them, 2-3 is so much better. And it's seemed a bit brighter, somehow. I noticed their ratings were up, and kudos to them. Goes to show if they put some effort in they can actually reach even higher. 

I still have to say though, I'm rarely able to watch TV after 9 a.m., but sometimes I'm lucky enough to catch the first 5 minutes of Stephanie Ruhle. And it's like, Morning Joe ends on a somber-ish dull note, and then it's whoooosh! BAM! Upbeat music! Steph being instantly AWESOME, instantly AWAKE, wholly THERE. Just in the first five minutes. I'm always sad when I have to turn it off. It's the kind of energy Morning Joe used to have and the kind of thing I really really really miss waking up to. Because waking up these days, in this time, is SO hard. Sigh.  

ETA: And when a truly excellent, hardworking doctor like Dr Vin Gupta comes on and says "good morning Mika, and thanks for the opportunity to speak to you" (omg), the correct response is NOT a dull blank stare into the camera, it's "good morning Dr Vin Gupta, we so appreciate you being here". What is it with these people that they no longer acknowledge panelists? Every single other show on MSNBC welcomes their guests. It's so weird that the morning show is now the least friendly show, even though they were originally part of setting that new, inclusive, welcoming standard, a few years ago.

Edited by neona
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

This morning, Kasie gave a gushing send-off to Yasmin from the Early Show.  She told Yasmin that the weekend show was lucky to have her.

Joe is wearing a brown blazer and a blue shirt. I find it curious that Joe dresses better and seems happier when Mika is not around.  He is smiling and laughing with Willie.

Mika is at home making plans to recruit poor Yasmin for more Know Your Value shit since Yasmin now has more free time.

Joe thinks that Joe Biden did well in his town hall last night.  Joe says that Biden understands working people unlike Trump.

Willie read polls that show Biden with a 9 point lead in Wisconsin and Arizona.  He is leading 51 to 42 percent in Wisconsin.

Joe says white males in Wisconsin are strong Biden supporters. John Heilman thinks that a lot of moderates in Wisconsin are turned off by Trump.  Joe said that Donald Trump's law and order spiel will not work in Wisconsin.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 3

Joe said he loves looking at the swing states.  He said that Michigan and Wisconsin have " broken hard" for Joe Biden.  It is especially tight in Florida according to Joe.  Joe thinks senior citizens and Hispanics are the keys to Florida.  On Morning Joe you get demographic analysis.  I did not know that lots of seniors live in Florida.  

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

What is that college list Joe keeps reading?  I assume it it football, but he’s talking like it is the new higher ed rankings.  Minus Princeton, heh, heh, Professor Glaube.

How is Kasie going to do a 5:00 AM morning show with an infant?  They had her welcome at the start of Morning Joe time; I had not heard about this.  

No more KC/DC <lightening bolt>, Mika?

Edited by freddi
  • Love 6

Joe does seem more relaxed and humorous when Meeka isn't there.    

I do really like Kasie on Capital Hill; she does an excellent job getting her questions asked and doesn't back down.  However, I don't think she is a good fit to host a show, especially one that is so early in the morning.  But I hope I am wrong; I just can't imagine how exhausting her day will be with a really young one and such an early schedule.  But if it is a boost to her career, good for her.  Yasmin was very good in that spot; and I would think she has a bright future.    

• Love 7

It's so exciting to see Joe wearing anything but his dark blue sweater.

Joe is making fun of people that went to Ivy League schools. He refused to put Mika's college Williams on his list.

It will be interesting to see how Biden's campaign as a working class man from Scranton succeeds. Hasn't he been in the Senate since 1972 ?

• Love 5

Heilmann said it will be tough for Trump to win Florida without strong support from seniors. Joe said Puerto Ricans will vote for Biden because he didn't support aid for Puerto Rico during the Hurricane.

Joe is surprised that Biden isn't doing better with Latino voters in Florida.

Heilamnn hopes that Bidn wins Florida early in the evening so that there is no path for Trump to win the election.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

So Joe's making school lunches, huh?  Imagine eating a sandwich sprinkled with the white lint from the sweater he's worn most of this week.

Nah, he doesn't wear the sweater around the house!  The sweater is him dressing up for tee-vee. Off-air he just wears a fishnet singlet, and no pants. 

2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

This morning, Kasie gave a gushing send-off to Yasmin from the Early Show.  She told Yasmin that the weekend show was lucky to have her.

I caught this exchange, it was adorable! They were both cute and funny and complimentary towards each other. There seems to be no animosity between them, so that's good. I hope this is a positive change for Yasmin, at least she'll finally get some sleep. I hope she looks back at her a.m. stint with pride, she's amazing.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, neona said:

I caught this exchange, it was adorable! They were both cute and funny and complimentary towards each other. There seems to be no animosity between them, so that's good. I hope this is a positive change for Yasmin, at least she'll finally get some sleep. I hope she looks back at her a.m. stint with pride, she's amazing.

I happened to wake up at 5 am and watched Yasmin's last First Look show. She had Danny Cevallos on, he presented her with a huge bouquet of flowers, virtually, I hope he gets them delivered to her, they were beautiful. Then Ayman came on and they talked about working together. she showed footage of one show she started off introducing herself as Ayman and she burst out laughing and they both just kept giggling. It was adorable. I thought about how you never see Mika laugh and enjoy herself like that. Then Mike Allen of Axios came on at the end and he just went on and on about how great she is, what a great conversationalist, she is always prepared and can discuss anything, the people at Axios love being on her show.  It almost brought a tear to my eye.

Then Kasie and Willie came on.  What was noticeably absent was any thanks or send off from Joe or Mika. No thanks for all her hard work, or what a great lead in she had been. Nothing. 

Makes one wonder, did the network offer her the weekend gig and JoMika are pissed off? Did they give her the boot to make room for Kasie? 

I find it rather rude of them, considering how she always participated in that shit show sham of Mika's, it's not like they couldn't say something at the end of her show. 

Yasmin had a toddler and a new baby while hosting this show, so if Kasie isn't up to the task, that's on her. 

• Love 5

The 8:00 hour just keeps getting weirder. They started airing DeBlasio's earlier interview with Willie, cut it off mid-sentence to go to commercial, then rewound and started re-airing it from the beginning. So the show went on until about 9:15 when the let Steph Ruhl start. WTF is going on in that control room?

2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

So Joe's making school lunches, huh?  Imagine eating a sandwich sprinkled with the white lint from the sweater he's worn most of this week.

Wait? He said that? That kind of pokes yet another hole in Mika's constant lament re: raising 7 children...at least packing lunches would be in her exhausting earth mother role though I kind of doubt a couple of teens and a 12 year old carry lunches in today's world...in fact, I wonder if they are actually going to real school at all. My first thought when I hear white lint is dandruff and that's hard to get past. I cringe when they have guests on with "lint" obviously showing on their collars and then they come back from commercial with it still there...doesn't anyone else notice these things?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, zentropa said:

The 8:00 hour just keeps getting weirder. They started airing DeBlasio's earlier interview with Willie, cut it off mid-sentence to go to commercial, then rewound and started re-airing it from the beginning. So the show went on until about 9:15 when the let Steph Ruhl start. WTF is going on in that control room?

Joe has the authority from the network to have other shows preempted. It's the crown jewel of MSNBC.

• LOL 2