Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Mika is screaming again. It hurts my head.

I think you meant Mika is screeching again.  And wearing black again.  Long sleeves again.  Jeebus!  It's July, woman!  And sitting with her arms crossed in front of her which, if I remember correctly, is a self-protective posture.  Here's my prediction:  Joe will return on Monday, and Mika will "have the morning (or the week) off."  Something is rotten in Denmark.

Edited by KayVeeTeeVee
  • Love 6

Elliot, after unsuccessfully trying to copy and paste your post about Eddie glaude to ask you what is it that he did during the 2016 election, I just googled it. Oh man that was a stupid thing for him to say. However I think many of us did things in the 2016 election that we're rethinking now, and I really do like Eddie and the things he says on MSNBC

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Here's my prediction:  Joe will return on Monday, and Mika will "have the morning (or the week) off."  Something is rotten in Denmark.

I was thinking same. She'll be off next week.  I take the arms crossed posture as she's pissed off. 

Maybe she & Joe think they have some leverage at MSNBC, but seeing as how the bosses could terminate them, they seem more and more to be more trouble than they're worth,  the working at home nonsense, (pre Covid 19) going behind the backs of the bosses with Halperin podcast, the outbursts Joe has had where he "has the morning off" the next day and it's probably more like "stay home tomorrow and think about if you still want to work here", and Mika's twitter rages, they could be looking at an early retirement. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I was thinking same. She'll be off next week.  I take the arms crossed posture as she's pissed off. 

Maybe she & Joe think they have some leverage at MSNBC, but seeing as how the bosses could terminate them, they seem more and more to be more trouble than they're worth,  the working at home nonsense, (pre Covid 19) going behind the backs of the bosses with Halperin podcast, the outbursts Joe has had where he "has the morning off" the next day and it's probably more like "stay home tomorrow and think about if you still want to work here", and Mika's twitter rages, they could be looking at an early retirement. 

Oh, please!  From your lips to management's ear!

• Love 3
(edited)

Mika read out part of Governor Hogan's article in the Washington Post. He isn't as important as Joe who had his entire editorial read out.

Heilemann said it was wrong for the Governors of Florida,Texas & Arizona to try and follow Trump' s lead.

Heilemann was happy that the Governors of NY , Mass, NJ & Ohio ignored Trump.

Heilemann didn't discuss the very high death rates in NY, NJ & Conn.

Heilemann has plastic squirrels in his kitchen. He puts effort into his backdrops.

Mika mocked Trump for talking about low water pressure on the White House Lawn. Trump said that Democrats are opposed to suburbs & want high crime rates. Steeele said that Trump rambles too much & is incoherent.

Elise Jordan spoke at 6 16 am from her dark living room. It's scary. It looks like she has a flashlight under her face. She said Trump is opposed to fair housing practices. He is opposed to the BLM movement.

Elise said the virus is under control in New York City.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 4

Mika complained about Trump having a super spreader event in Jacksonville. Elise Jordan said Trump was a toddler & it is too hot in August to have a convention outside.

Elise must spend weeks practising her anti Trump comments. She does it with a smile.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, oakville said:

At 6 24 am, Mika had trouble pronouncing the words "drug shortages". She said there were drug shortaddiges. Mika should get closer to the teleprompter.

I wonder if she's doing Invisalign again, and it's affecting her speech. Or she's done something to tweak her face and can't move her mouth correctly. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I wonder if she's doing Invisalign again, and it's affecting her speech. Or she's done something to tweak her face and can't move her mouth correctly. 

I think she's just too vain to wear glasses and can't read the teleprompter.

• Love 6
(edited)

Joe is back.  

Joe and Mika talked about Donald Trump's interview on Fox News Sunday.

Joe says a new Washington Post poll shows that Americans disapprove of the president's handling of Covid-19.  Joe says many Republican senators are angry.  Joe did not name names of the specific senators. 

Joe says that every poll out there is against the president.  So he's back to his same old lazy points.

Joe and Mika like to show clips of Fox.  Is this to show how good Chris Wallace is?   The comparison between Chris Wallace and Joe's poll reading presentations is not a favorable one.

Joe lectured Jonathan Lemire about Vietnam and World War I.  He yelled at Jonathan about  Americans not being able to travel to the Bahamas.  Poor Jonathan.  

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 3

Mika is wearing a long-sleeved black sweater.  That is a weird fashion choice for July.  It looks like she is wearing a white or beige bra under that sweater since the tits have a white glow.

After all of these years in TV, Mika does not know to wear a black bra with black knits.  This is booby dressing 101.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

Caught part of the show this morning and saw Mika ask what might be the worst question posed by a "professional" news host. She was speaking with John Meacham, and everything started out OK. Paraphrasing, Mika asked if it was time to examine the fragility of our democracy instead of celebrating its strength,

Meacham: Absolu.....

Mika (steamrolling over Meacham, not allowing him to continue): Blah, blah blah. Blah blah (for another thirty seconds) Do you disagree?

Do you disagree? Talk about a leading question. She should have just come out and said "Tell me why I'm right."

ETA Later on, Mika interviewed Speaker Pelosi. She asked a long meandering question and Speaker Pelosi started her response with "Well, that's a lot of question. . . "

And she ends the show by mispronouncing "cancer" (cancel). She gets paid millions to do this.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I just watched an interview on CNN that was professional, informative and interesting.  Both hosts were interviewing Maggie Haberman from the New York Times regarding how the President is briefed.  There was no interrupting, no faux outrage and shock, intelligent questions and most of all - she was able to talk at length.  Didn't she used to appear on MJ?  If so, I haven't seen her in months.  

• Love 5

So two weeks off did nothing for Joe's mood. I had the tv on and had dozed off after I turned off the alarm at 5:30 and he literally woke me back up with the yelling.  

Is Mika buying padded bras and double padding them? Does she have cake stuffed in her bra?  

Why is it other anchors can discuss the same subjects without sounding like a couple of lunatics?  How much longer is MSNBC going to tolerate this?  My BF Joshua Johnson was on all day yesterday and he is SOO good. Pleasant, intelligent, discussed the same topics, the virus, the Fox interview, etc. 

Joy Reid looks so much better with that shorter hair.  

Why does Nancy Pelosi subject herself to this insanity?  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I was impressed that Joe had a list of African American war heroes that he wanted to rename Fort Bragg after. Joe said that Bragg was a poor military strategist.

I wonder if Morning Joe had existed during World War 2. Joe would have trashed FDR for not being prepared for Pearl Harbor.

Joe admitted that Southerners don't like the Confederate Flag as much as they had in the past.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Mika congratulated Joy Reid for her new show. She will be interviewing Hillary Clinton & Joe Biden. I am shocked that Joe agreed to stay for the interview and ask her questions. Joe said that John Lewis was a perfector of Democracy. Joe bragged that he used to travel to Atlanta with John Lewis from DC when they served in Congress together.

• Love 2

Joe said he would watch Joy's show! Mika liked the title of the show. 

Mika interviewed Nancy Pelosi. Joe stayed past 8:30 am. Pelosi wants the Voting Rights Act passed & named for John Lewis. Pelosi wants the Senate to pass it.

The show had many interesting guests today. Capeheart hasn't been on in a while.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, oakville said:

She will be interviewing Hillary Clinton & Joe Biden.

I just saw this. That is quite the get. 

I was surprised to see Jonathan Capehart, but then with John Lewis' passing, he probably did it more to honor John.

• Love 5
(edited)

I think Joe and Mika are attempting to reset the show as a real news show.  Joe and Mika spent a half hour having a dialogue about the president's handling of Covid.  They were looking at the camera and speaking in complete sentences, not laughing and being as serious as these two can be.

That is, it was serious until Joe just claimed he is neutral toward the President.  Joe, I have seen the show.  You cannot claim to be neutral when you regularly do insult riffs and laugh at your own jokes.  There is nothing wrong with different opinions, but please own your behavior.  

Joe said the president should follow the science on Covid-19. I'm sure that no one ever thought of that Joe.  It's not like there are doctors and scientists all over the world researching this disease.

What an arrogant clown.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 7

In today’s “Well, DUH” moment, Mika read a news report about how COVID cases had quadrupled in one area, paused, looked gravely into the camera, and editorialized, “That’s FOUR TIMES as many.”

sigh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Tuned in to see the end of an interview Meeka did with Jennifer Palmieri; who has just written a book.  Color me surprised.  I saw the title, can't remember what, but it seems to be a women's empowerment book; then Meeka said she said she had been afraid Jennifer P would not EVER speak to her again due to some tough pearls of wisdom Meeka had dispensed to her.  I can only assume this book is a spin on KYV because Meeka looked awfully pleased.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

I think Joe and Mika are attempting to reset the show as a real news show.  Joe and Mika spent a half hour having a dialogue about the president's handling of Covid.  They were looking at the camera and speaking in complete sentences, not laughing and being as serious as these two can be.

That is, it was serious until Joe just claimed he is neutral toward the President.  Joe, I have seen the show.  You cannot claim to be neutral when you regularly do insult riffs and laugh at your own jokes.  There is nothing wrong with different opinions, but please own your behavior.  

Joe said the president should follow the science on Covid-19. I'm sure that no one ever thought of that Joe.  It's not like there are doctors and scientists all over the world researching this disease.

What an arrogant clown.

I look forward to seeing these segments later. I can't believe Joe sad he was neutral towards President Trump. He has spent at least the last 3 years criticizing Trump non stop. 

• Love 3

Mika's hair looks lighter. Joe needs new glasses: the arms on those plastic frames he wears look stretched to the max to get around his big head. Like they're gonna snap any minute and he'll have creases on his face from them. Catty, yes, but it's all I got from today's drive-bys.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, oakville said:

I look forward to seeing these segments later. I can't believe Joe sad he was neutral towards President Trump. He has spent at least the last 3 years criticizing Trump non stop. 

Including today's taunting about The Biden Plan. 

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

What an arrogant clown.

I will bet money they got called on the carpet by the new boss, that was the reason for  extra week off, Mika's Twitter rant about how Joe invented political talk/news shows, is a true patriot, would die for his country, blah blah blah. 

He doesn't seem very neutral to me, he has been yelling so much the last two days at one point this morning Mika even said "will you let me answer?"   Oh and "call it the Joe & Mika plan".  What an egomaniac.  And prior to that it's call it "the Biden plan".   

I turned it off and when I turn it back on Mika is apologizing to Jennifer P for something she said, "I thought you'd never speak to me again".    Do we know what Mika said to Jennifer?  Add one more name to the list of people Mika pisses off. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I will bet money they got called on the carpet by the new boss, that was the reason for  extra week off, Mika's Twitter rant about how Joe invented political talk/news shows, is a true patriot, would die for his country, blah blah blah. 

He doesn't seem very neutral to me, he has been yelling so much the last two days at one point this morning Mika even said "will you let me answer?"   Oh and "call it the Joe & Mika plan".  What an egomaniac.  And prior to that it's call it "the Biden plan".   

I turned it off and when I turn it back on Mika is apologizing to Jennifer P for something she said, "I thought you'd never speak to me again".    Do we know what Mika said to Jennifer?  Add one more name to the list of people Mika pisses off. 

Maybe the new boss could tell Mika she is NOT Rachel, who pulls off wearing black every day.  Makes it easier to focus on what she's saying.  Please, Mika, buy some new, colorful clothing and BURN the black!  It's depressing me.  And yes, I'm that shallow.

• Love 5
(edited)

B

41 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Maybe the new boss could tell Mika she is NOT Rachel, who pulls off wearing black every day.  Makes it easier to focus on what she's saying.  Please, Mika, buy some new, colorful clothing and BURN the black!  It's depressing me.  And yes, I'm that shallow.

But Rachel is a serious journalist and has never talked about her appearance other than to joke about her two cheap blazers and that she had "vacation" hair because she hadn't had a chance to get it cut. 

Mika, the polar opposite of Rachel in every way imaginable,  could buy $7 teeshirts at Old Navy (I have some) if she's on her "I don't care what I wear" kick again. They fit really well, look nice, comfortable in hot weather and come in a variety of colors. I bought them all on line, so it's not like you have to go to a mall to get them. She could also find a bra that fits.

I notice one day she'll wear a top that looks like she's stuffed a box of Kleenex in each cup, and the next day she's got on her top covered by the  robe/sweater, like she read this forum and realized, "oops, forgot to wear black bra with black top". 

No one else has the issues with clothing she does. The only other person I ever ragged on was Kasie and that god awful white blazer she wore every day. Apparently she got the hint. Or it just fell apart. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Yes, I honestly wish they would get, if not called on the carpet, at least given some constructive feedback, at least to tone the embarrassing lectures down a little and not be quite so miserable on what is still, last time I checked, a morning show. But as it is I think he was just on vacation and Mika was responding to some people asking about him on twitter. Her response got picked up by various news sites and articles were written that made it seem like everyone, everywhere had been wondering where on earth he was, despite the fact that he disappears for like six weeks every summer. So mission accomplished, publicity-wise. 

They are invulnerable right now because they're having their highest ratings ever. It seems to me network execs are almost superstitious about that sort of thing, and it's really annoying, because it means they don't intervene when necessary to actually create a better product, one that will still be successful after the Trump era. Sigh.

39 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Mika, Kasie, Katty, and Adrienne seem to have this thing where they all wear black whenever anyone says anything mean or sexist about them on Twitter. It was cool the first time they did it but I agree it's getting a bit boring and gimmicky. And it's silly to copy Rachel Maddow, for whom its not a gimmick but who she really is, so it fits. It's a bit weird to imitate her brand instead of finding their own styles.

I gathered from various comments Mika made before (something about a hairclip??) that she was initially under a lot of pressure to dress sexy etc - which of course is awful but like isn't it possible to find some middle way, it should be possible to fight the patriarchy without making your viewers feel like they're in the Groundhog day movie. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Even if Mika was just responding to Twitter comments, why is she so hysterical?

Whenever any host who's a favorite of people is off,  fans will tweet "where's so & so, hope you're okay etc". 

Nicole, Yasmin, etc will respond, just a few days off, thanks for asking, etc.

Mika acts like people are accusing her and Joe of some insidious crime.

HOW DARE YOU INQUIRE ABOUT MY HUSBAND??!!!   That's what makes me think something was going on that he took the extra week, "because I told him to". 

CTFD Drama Queen. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Mika's hair looks lighter. Joe needs new glasses: the arms on those plastic frames he wears look stretched to the max to get around his big head. Like they're gonna snap any minute and he'll have creases on his face from them. Catty, yes, but it's all I got from today's drive-bys.

Joe also wore the same blue blazer as yesterday.

• Love 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe also wore the same blue blazer as yesterday.

Think she kicked him out and that's the only blazer he has in the van down by the river? 

If he's in danger of losing this gig, there goes the Mika Money Train. 

You think CNN would hire these two nincompoops?  

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Think she kicked him out and that's the only blazer he has in the van down by the river? 

If he's in danger of losing this gig, there goes the Mika Money Train. 

You think CNN would hire these two nincompoops?

Ha! One thing I doubt Mika will ever do is give Joe the boot. She gave up so much to tie her "fame" and reputation to him. I think he's just a lazy slob and couldn't be bothered to root around for another jacket. Just the fact that he's in a jacket and tie is something...why not just a nice polo or sport jacket and open collar? Especially if they are at her family's summer home? They can't believe people don't know they're not in a studio. Mika sure doesn't give a shit about HER appearance. It doesn't matter where she's broadcasting from she always looks like a schoolmarm in Siberia or some other dark and dreary place. I bet they had to give up their clothing allowance as part of their remote from FL deal and they just said F it. Wonder what he did with his MJ fleece pullovers.

• Love 5

That's what makes me think something was going on that he took the extra week, "because I told him to". 

That's what I thought when he was absent on week #2, wearing her shroud and with obvious bags under her eyes. Reading the op ed aloud last week threw me off a little but I could have seen this scenario a few weeks ago:

Joe: Stop clucking your tongue when I banter on about baseball.

Meeks: It's boring and juvenile.

Joe: OK, you think you can do better? Do the show on your own.

Meeks: Fine, stay away. I'll do just fine without you (little voice in her head: "I hope so anyway.")

• Love 4

I just can't with the monologues today. I can't put my finger on exactly why they give me so much second-hand embarrassment, like I literally feel it in my stomach, it's that uncomfortable. It reminds me of a badly written musical in which the characters burst into song at really awkward moments and the songs themselves are so pompous they undermine the whole plot. 

And I even agree with most of what they're saying! It's so unnecessary.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, neona said:

I just can't with the monologues today. I can't put my finger on exactly why they give me so much second-hand embarrassment, like I literally feel it in my stomach, it's that uncomfortable. It reminds me of a badly written musical in which the characters burst into song at really awkward moments and the songs themselves are so pompous they undermine the whole plot. 

This is it in a nutshell. It's so embarrassing. So if we feel it, what are the people at MSNBC going thru?

And again with the balanced budget bullshit??!!   Man he's dragging out the old material. Back 30 years ago when I was just a country lawyer, turned Congressman,  why I had barely started cheating on my first wife, and I walked right in the Oval Office and demanded Bill Clinton balance that budget!!!  And I wasn't gonna leave til he did.   

What the fuck does this have to do with current events??? 

And Mika, who couldn't find her ass with both hands and a mirror, is going to explain to the Republicans how Trump sending Ghislaine Maxwell his best wishes, is a bridge too far.  "I will speak very slowly, engage your brain".   

Yeah, Mrs Einstein here will explain everything. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Seems like the first hour was 3 minutes of the little boxes talking and 57 minutes of a 2-shot of them, her reactions while he does the daily reprise of "5 cases were going to disappear, then it was bleach and uv light..." ad nauseum. Watch the rants on 2x or 3x to see the range of her emotions.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, SG429 said:

Seems like the first hour was 3 minutes of the little boxes talking and 57 minutes of a 2-shot of them, her reactions while he does the daily reprise of "5 cases were going to disappear, then it was bleach and uv light..." ad nauseum. Watch the rants on 2x or 3x to see the range of her emotions.

Weirdly I find it slightly less awkward when he's talking to her though. At then he's least he's talking TO someone, a real person.

The worst part is when he's shouting all by himself, all madman in a box, talking through his tee-vee at people (eg Trump, Republicans, etc) who aren't watching or aren't listening or if they are, are psychologically constituted to do the exact opposite of everything he says, because they don't like being told what to do. While the other 99.99% of viewers have to awkwardly sit through it. So it's a lose-lose situation all around.

• Love 5

What irritates me is Mika's constant little quiet murmurings or uhm-humming when anyone, especially Joe, is talking. It seemed especially bad today.  Is it that she wants to be a part of the discussion?  She really doesn't need to make any sounds.  Really.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, neona said:

It reminds me of a badly written musical in which the characters burst into song at really awkward moments and the songs themselves are so pompous they undermine the whole plot. 

Oh!  Did you get a sneak preview of Joe's "Trump. The Musical"? 

I tuned in to hear the rant about balancing the budget...Always including "We" did this and that. So tiresome. And so irrelevant. And so Joe.

I did catch his little mole eyes when I first turned it on, wondering if his glasses actually DID snap, but, alas, they were on a bit later...I don't know why that bugs me so much. 

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, neona said:

Weirdly I find it slightly less awkward when he's talking to her though. At then he's least he's talking TO someone, a real person.

The worst part is when he's shouting all by himself, all madman in a box, talking through his tee-vee at people (eg Trump, Republicans, etc) who aren't watching or aren't listening or if they are, are psychologically constituted to do the exact opposite of everything he says, because they don't like being told what to do. While the other 99.99% of viewers have to awkwardly sit through it. So it's a lose-lose situation all around.

Why don't Republicans listen to Joe ? He said he was an influential member of Congress that was widely respected by both sides of the aisle. 

Joe's portrait in the rotunda of Capitol Hill is frequently photographed.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, oakville said:

Why don't Republicans listen to Joe ? He said he was an influential member of Congress that was widely respected by both sides of the aisle. 

Joe's portrait in the rotunda of Capitol Hill is frequently photographed.

I KNEW there was something familiar about that dude in the ceiling fresco. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, neona said:

That's a great take on the show!.

I just started watching the show and by 6 07 am, Joe is banging his hands on the desk & yelling about Trump killing people. It's tough to watch.

Will Joe keep doing this until Election Day ?

• Love 1
(edited)

Joe said he voted against China getting favorable trade nation status for China in the 1990s. Joe told Janice Mackay Frayer that he knew China was stealing intellectual property in the 1990s. I doubt Janice knew that.

Janice used to be a host on a kids channel in Canada in the early 1990s called YTV. She called herself PJ Jan. She was a big celebrity in Canada back then. I met her once. She was very nice.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 2

Today is the first day of the Major League Baseball season.  Joe and Willie are really excited. Mika seems happy that they are excited.

Joe trolled Mika by saying that she must be excited about Mookie Betts' new contract.  Good job trolling your own spouse. Of course Mika has no clue who Mookie Betts is. (He is an outfielder for the LA Dodgers).

Mika said the family likes to watch baseball.

Joe showed the clip from "Field of Dreams" where James Earl Jones says "if you build it they will come."  

Joe showed President Trump's interview yesterday from Fox News.  He criticized the president for talking about tests of his cognitive acuity.  Joe claims to know a lot about mental acuity tests.  Yeah, ok.

• Love 4
(edited)

David Ignatius joined the show.  I feel like David and I are tight since I've seen him around my part of Wash, DC.

David has an impressionist painting in his office that probably cost as much as a small car.  

David is upset about federal agents using unmarked vehicles to detain protesters.

Joe thinks that most Americans support the protestors.

Michael Steele joined the show from his badass home office. Michael has a bust of Lincoln. He said the federal law enforcement approach sets up a conflict with the Tenth Amendment.

Edited by nittanycougar
corrected to say that Steele's office is badass
  • Love 4

Joe doesn't want the protesters to attack federal buildings because Trump can use federal agents to protect the buildings.

Joe said that Clyburn was against defunding the police. Joe said Trump is following the Clyburn plan.

• Love 1

Steele said some white voters would be upset at the protests in cities & Trump is trying to scare them into voting for him.

Joe said there were no riots in  Jupiter Florida. Everyone is happy there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2