Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Both, I think.

All of Scarborough's anti-Trump/Republican rhetoric is self-serving, in my opinion.  But much of what he says is correct.  What I can't understand -- what really blows my mind, in fact -- is why no Democratic hopeful has risen to say the same things.   The passivity of the Democrats is devastating.   The apathy of the public more so.  Lots of tongue clucking.  Lots of tweeting.  But where are the protests?  Why aren't campuses up in arms?  Where are the marches on Washington?   The president is flirting with nuclear war, he is stripping away basic healthcare, the rich are about to become richer at everyone else's expense, and the only people out there banging a podium on a daily basis are Joe Freaking Scarborough, Keith Olbermann, etc? 

From what I can see, Trump is the president we deserve.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, millennium said:

Me too but I can't see that happening at the moment.   The Democrats are too passive.   Too content to stand by and watch with fingers crossed as this thing appears to fall apart.   Except it isn't falling apart.  I think it's stronger than ever.   It defies all reason, common sense and historical precedent in this country that Trumpism is prevailing, yet it is -- a fact which I think attests either to its formidable virulence or the opposition's disheartening weakness.   Whichever, Trump wins.

Why doesn't Joe bother bringing on some aspiring Democratic Candidates for Congress than wasting more time complaining about Trumps latest dumb statement.?

16 minutes ago, millennium said:

All of Scarborough's anti-Trump/Republican rhetoric is self-serving, in my opinion.  But much of what he says is correct.  What I can't understand -- what really blows my mind, in fact -- is why no Democratic hopeful has risen to say the same things.   The passivity of the Democrats is devastating.   The apathy of the public more so.  Lots of tongue clucking.  Lots of tweeting.  But where are the protests?  Why aren't campuses up in arms?  Where are the marches on Washington?   The president is flirting with nuclear war, he is stripping away basic healthcare, the rich are about to become richer at everyone else's expense, and the only people out there banging a podium on a daily basis are Joe Freaking Scarborough, Keith Olbermann, etc? 

From what I can see, Trump is the president we deserve.

Joe is too lazy to even leave the bunker. I doubt he will do anything concrete like run for office

44 minutes ago, oakville said:

I don't know why Mika & Joe are not in the studio together for the past 2 days

Joe has been doing music (recording in the studio), of course, so I guess the commute eats into his music time.  He also seems to be watching a lot of late-night baseball, so I guess he needs to sleep in.  If I were Mika, I would insist he get up at the same time as me to make the drive in from CT.  (Seems like they are living together now based on recent comments in the press/social media.)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe is too lazy to even leave the bunker. I doubt he will do anything concrete like run for office

I would never vote for him anyway.   The way he goes from Mr. Soapbox to Mr. Tonguebath is a dealbreaker.

• Love 3

All of Scarborough's anti-Trump/Republican rhetoric is self-serving, in my opinion.  But much of what he says is correct.

Agreed and so while I get why people roll their eyes when Joe goes off on a rant, I think we should let him do it.  Yeah the shits and giggles he shared with his buddy at the beginning of the campaign is infuriating but it is in the past and we can't change it. It's good to have someone on TV loudly (and obnoxiously) calling this shit out. Of course what to watch out for is if the tide turns and Trump does that "pivot" the chattering classes keep waiting for, whether Joe changes his tune and becomes Trump's champion again. Past history suggests this is  possible if not probable (Joe changing his tune, not the "pivot." I doubt the pivot will ever happen.)

As for "Know Your Worth" conferences, there's hardly any web presence for it, and all I could find was a CBS News article saying that Martha Stewart and Sarah Jessica Parker are going to be at the next one. They also said Katie Couric and Brooke Shields have been at events at the past. Sounds like wealthy white middle-aged lady feminism to me. So much for intersectionality. Hard pass.

The passivity of the Democrats is devastating.  

Wait, you're not comforted when Democratic consultant hacks show up on television with "Resist" t-shirts? 

But seriously, just look at that grifty beady-eyed weasel Manchin who was on the show today and remind yourself that Joe has insisted on several occasions that HE is the future of the Democratic party. It's depressing.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

But seriously, just look at that grifty beady-eyed weasel Manchin who was on the show today and remind yourself that Joe has insisted on several occasions that HE is the future of the Democratic party. It's depressing.

Listening to him rhapsodize about dinner with Jared and Ivanka was sickening.   Though I had to laugh at the premise that those two have any say when it comes to the decision-making about tax reform.   Recent events have exposed them as figureheads, nothing more.

• Love 1

I think the reason her father told her to keep the money is because he hates Joe so much he figured "fuck him, if he gives my daughter money, that's less money he has". 

Edited by teddysmom

SERIOUSLY??? the phone was invented 1876.  Lincoln died 1865.  (does someone have a gif of Stork in Animal House saying, "you MO-ron"?)

lol, i think oakville was being humorous.

How PITIFUL is it that I had NO PROBLEM believing our President said that. Geez Louise.  Good one Oakville. I'm used to 98% of your posts starting "Joe is mad that ________________"

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, stormy said:

the strategy would be "it's not my fault, it's theirs so reelect me".

There was a clip of Trump saying that, essentially.  At the press conference with McConnell.  Sure Joe is a hypocrite and opportunistically punching down at McConnell, but he's also right.  What is wrong with McConnell?  Why don't GOP Congresspeople grow a back bone?  They are as powerful as the President.  Trump isn't their king.  Are they that afraid of Fox, Bannon, Breitbart, and social media? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, millennium said:

I would never vote for him anyway.   The way he goes from Mr. Soapbox to Mr. Tonguebath is a dealbreaker.

I doubt he would run for office. His ego could  not stand losing.

29 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

How PITIFUL is it that I had NO PROBLEM believing our President said that. Geez Louise.  Good one Oakville. I'm used to 98% of your posts starting "Joe is mad that ________________"

Ha! I find That Joe complains a lot.

A few years ago he would spend the first segment complaining about cell phone service or La Guardia airport or Pizza Delivery. I thought he would end up taking Andy Rooney's job.

He could still do it by whining from his bunker about everything.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

There was a clip of Trump saying that, essentially.  At the press conference with McConnell.  Sure Joe is a hypocrite and opportunistically punching down at McConnell, but he's also right.  What is wrong with McConnell?  Why don't GOP Congresspeople grow a back bone?  They are as powerful as the President.  Trump isn't their king.  Are they that afraid of Fox, Bannon, Breitbart, and social media? 

Joe only served briefly under George W Bush. If he stayed in Congress during Bush's terms, would he be so brave to complain about W?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:
  6 hours ago, millennium said:

It defies all reason, common sense and historical precedent in this country that Trumpism is prevailing, yet it is -- a fact which I think attests either to its formidable virulence or the opposition's disheartening weakness.

Trumpism and racism are one in the same which is why it continues to thrive. I realize that concept is really hard to accept but how else do you explain the incidents we've seen and continued support of this heresy of a presidency.

• Love 5

I have nothing but contempt for Trump using the lives of dead soldiers to run the news cycle but people like Joe are the reason he can do it.  The first 20 minutes of his show were spent in Joe bloviating about this subject.

• Love 4

Catching up with yesterday's show. There was a good segment on Democrats running for the House of Delegates in Virginia. They are culturally connected with the district. Chris jansing did a good job discussing the issue.

Mika as happy that she is getting black granite. I wonder if Mika & Joe are building a house together. I would watch that show on HGTV.

Mika is off today & poor Joe had to show up in the studio. Posh Katty was the designated female on the set.

Joe made fun of Barnicle for being a bandwagon Yankees fan now.

Everyone is outraged at Trump for calling the mom of the soldier who died.  Trump was not empathetic enough. The phone was put on speaker phone so Democrat representatives could listen to the call. That is weird.

Trump said that's what the soldier signed up for.

The panel is mad that Trump said that Obama did not call Kelly's son when he died. Obama had a lunch with Kelly.

Joe said that Trump is not a Southern Gentleman.

Joe said that Barnicle was a Yankee.

Joe is mad that Trump is not human.

Meacham is moping that Southerners are accepting Trump as President. He is not following the rules of the Washington Establishment.

Joe said everyone hates Trump. Joe was at a restaurant in a GOP area. Joe said everyone at the restaurant was mad at Trump.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 3

Why is NBC reporting an anonymous official saying that Obama did not call Kelly.

Joe is mad at Trump for using throwaway lines to fight the media.

Halperin is practically crying.

Halperin criticized NBC for trying to create conflict over SGT Johnson & Trump. Since when are these calls played with Democratic Representatives present ?

Joe wants Kelly to step down.

• Love 1

Ok, that woman's hat is FUCKING CRAZY.  Is it a religious thing?  A medical thing?  If not, she's a clown.  I cannot take her seriously.  She's not serious.
She's inside.  Her hair is clean and brushed.  It's not raining.  It's not a steel drum festival.  There is no sun.  There is no street festival surrounding her.  She's an American politician claiming the Commander in Chief is a callous pig, and still, made the decision to put that wicker basket on her head at around 6:30am.  WHYYY???

And her rambling is helping nothing.  Yeesh.

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 4

OMG, Halperin.  Go to hell.  Apparently it's totally fair for the President to call a military widow who is 6 months pregnant, and he forgets his name and said, "Whelp, he knew what he signed up for."  That's the new ok, Halperin, you asshole?  Fuck you.   Just for one second, imagine if Obama had been callous and dismissive to a widow. 

The widow and her husband's story are tragic.  Just impossibly sad.

• Love 7

It almost seems as though Joe and Meek-a treat the show as the "second job" lately.  They use it as a springboard for their other activities and money-making plans.  Her "book and tour"...his music.  Lately their MJ hosting jobs seem like an afterthought.  

• Love 6

It's amazing how much more enjoyable this show is when Mika's not there (yes, even with Peggy Noonan).

Halperin and Katty Kay pissed me off with their chiding of the congresswoman with the totally awesome hat for "politicizing" Rumpy's phone call to the widow. As she said, people asked her what he said and she told them. That's not politicizing, that's telling the ugly truth.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Everyone is outraged at Trump for calling the mom of the soldier who died.  Trump was not empathetic enough. The phone was put on speaker phone so Democrat representatives could listen to the call. That is weird.

The soldier in question is quite a success story and a local hero, flags in his town at half mast, etc. He was mentored from WalMart to a career in the US Army. That's why the Representative from that district was with the family, in a limo, en route to greeting his remains at a military base. Having just learned that an open casket was not an option, his widow was too upset to speak when Trump happened to call and that's how/why she put the phone on speaker and everyone in the limo heard the conversation.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, Kemper said:

It almost seems as though Joe and Meek-a treat the show as the "second job" lately.  They use it as a springboard for their other activities and money-making plans.  Her "book and tour"...his music.  Lately their MJ hosting jobs seem like an afterthought.  

Agreed. I wonder if MSNBC is giving them this additional leeway due to the strong ratings.? Fox & Friends & CNN New Day is also doing well in the ratings. Trump bashing is good for ratings. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Ok, that woman's hat is FUCKING CRAZY.  Is it a religious thing?  A medical thing?  If not, she's a clown.  I cannot take her seriously.  She's not serious.
She's inside.  Her hair is clean and brushed.  It's not raining.  It's not a steel drum festival.  There is no sun.  There is no street festival surrounding her.  She's an American politician claiming the Commander in Chief is a callous pig, and still, made the decision to put that wicker basket on her head at around 6:30am.  WHYYY???

And her rambling is helping nothing.  Yeesh.

The hat is a problem.   For a sec, I thought maybe she's from Texas (grasping at any plausible explanation for the Ponderosa look).   But no, Florida.   It begs the question, doesn't she realize it detracts from her message and her credibility?   And if she doesn't get that, or if she doesn't care, well, that leads to a whole bunch of other questions.

I didn't miss Mika at all this morning.  

• Love 3

She's an American politician claiming the Commander in Chief is a callous pig, and still, made the decision to put that wicker basket on her head at around 6:30am.  WHYYY???

I have a different take on CallGate. First, as I say ad infinitum, I listen to MJ, don't watch until I get to my office. So  am listening to the Congresswoman and she has done TONS to work with mentoring of African American youth, also started a program about the girls kidnapped by Boko Haram, personally knew the fallen Sargeant from her mentoring program and to top it all off was a school principal to his father!! All good stuff.  Then I come to work, turn on the monitor and see Hoe Down on the Las Vegas Strip, all rolled up in a hat.  What do they say about dressing for the job?  I feel torn--on one hand she is older thus may dress wacky, and I know African American ladies wear hats like 100 times more than other ladies....but MAN!!,  what a way to have your appearance distract from your message.  And you know Trump is going to have a field day with her.

Steve Bannon I think was fired on purpose by Trump so he can work behind the scenes. But the !GOTCHA! about his comments on Goldman Sachs and !GOTCHA! those dumb rednecks he's talking to don't realize he worked for GS---!GOTCHA!  Makes no sense--since he worked for them he's exactly in the position to be in the know about what they are like.  Over-reach.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2

Halperin is pathetic. All he could muster about John Kelly's son being dragged thru the political mud is 'I'm sad and upset". First of all that should be John Kelly's statement when he resigns and second, I'm repulsed and disgusted. This behavior is vile.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

It's a cultural thing with older African American women.  They wear hats like that all the time, to church, to social events etc.  It's seems odd because it's not something white people do, but it is very normal in their culture and they take great pride in their hats.  I'm pretty sure all cultures do and wear things that other cultures think are pretty unusual. 

I don't understand why MJ asked Rep Wilson to come on the show and tell them about the phone call, then accuse her of politicizing it.  Little hypocritical to ask someone on the show to tell you what she heard, then get shitty with her for answering the question.   She sure shut Katty down.   And Willie's remark about Mrs. Johnson's "pregnant belly". OMG,  this segment couldn't have been a bigger cluster fuck.  I appreciate them showing the footage of Mrs Johnson at the casket but no need to talk about "her pregnant belly" JFC Willie. I expect better from at least you.  Just say, her six year old standing there, her two year old being held by a family member, and Mrs Johnson expecting their third child. See how easy that is? 

Calling late night talk show hosts hypocrites for picking and choosing what they feel emotional about, but isn't that what Joe & Co do every day?  Jimmy Kimmel didn't speak about  Harvey Weinstein, okay but haven't heard too much out of Joe about Donald Trump's sexual harassment lately either. 

Guess Peggy Noonan sobered up enough to make one of her monthly "I'm confused" appearances. Peggy if you don't understand how the cost sharing reductions work, maybe just be quiet and listen. Don't help that asshole out by talking about how confused his constituents are. How about asking him about federal money going to oil companies?  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 5

Did they talk about health care this morning and how the Congress had to act in union to re-administer the ACA's funding?  I couldn't watch the whole show.

It's hard to believe that nobody on the show had a ready-made list of instances where Trump politicized: Benghazi for years (uh, 4 died in Niger, you assholes), the Khans - family of a fallen hero, McCain's POW status, how Trump knows more than "the Generals," and how no other Presidents called the families of fallen soldiers.   I just came up with that *snap* right now.  THOSE are instances of politicizing the pain and misery of having a standing army spread across the world.  The panel are pros, how did they not have a longer list at the ready?  The leader of the US can politicize painful American tragedy, but if anyone else just repeats what he said, it's just beyond the pale? "Well ma'am and your hat, you may not relate to us the President's own words if they are shockingly callous and cold, but he may insult you in perpetuity and lie about you.  Get in your lane."
Halperin is absolutely a biased, water-carrying apologist for the right wing, right?  We're all clear on that, right?

And speaking of double standards as they apply to Trump and get a pass from our panel, that tall Congressional correspondent's question to McCain about whether McCain would let his personal impressions of Trump color his support, or lack of, regarding Trump's policies was totally fair.  It's not a stupid question.  The correspondent could have asked Trump the same question, and Trump's answer would have been, "Of course I let my personal opinions color everything I do." 

• Love 6

Trump was wrong to bring in Kelly’s family, but that thought got in his rattled head somehow, and the logical guess is that Kelly told him. I just get a little eye-rolly when this crowd gets all sanctimonious about Kelly. 

Can any Southern person confirm that it is common for fathers to admonish their sons to act like Southern gentlemen? Joe Beauregard Scarborough was laying it on a little thick this morning.

I may be in the minority but I thought the reporter’s question to McCain was reasonable and McCain’s response was rude and hyperbolic. Thank goodness Marc Leibovich was there to point out that McCain wasn’t all maverick-y when he was the GOP’s nominee.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

And you know Trump is going to have a field day with her.

Maxine Waters and Al Sharpton will lead the charge to eviscerate him if he goes there mocking her.

2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

And Willie's remark about Mrs. Johnson's "pregnant belly". OMG,  this segment couldn't have been a bigger cluster fuck.  I appreciate them showing the footage of Mrs Johnson at the casket but no need to talk about "her pregnant belly" JFC Willie. I expect better from at least you.  Just say, her six year old standing there, her two year old being held by a family member, and Mrs Johnson expecting their third child. See how easy that is? 

I think Willie was trying to bring it back to sympathizing with the widow and underscoring that there was a child that would never even meet its father after Halperin and Kay stepping in it big time. Wasn't the best words to use, but I think Willie was getting a bit overwhelmed emotionally (angry and sad for the widow and kids) as you can hear a catch in is voice as he throws to commercial.

I forget who said it first, but liked when Sally was referred to as General as she was an acting Attorney General but then Joe had to jump in and comment on it to the point that you felt he was mocking her.  Joe needs a mute button or someone with the power to cut his mic every once in a while.

Edited by TobinAlbers
Corrected Tur to Kay. Reading Tur's book to got my Katy's mixed up.
  • Love 6

Regarding the Congresswoman's hat, that is her trademark. Her thing. Just like Secretary Madeleine Albright always wears a "large" brooch on her lapel or dress, Congresswoman Wilson always wears a stetson. If you look at her photo in congressional guidebooks, she's got her hat on. If you go to her congressional office's website, there she is in her hat. She likes it. I don't know why.

https://wilson.house.gov/

But what I really want to talk about is the out-of-left-field topic Scarborough brought up about late night chat show hosts talking politics like that has never happened before. In my opinion, Fallon is the outlier, although I don't really care. It's his show. He should do what he wants to do. But Johnny Carson, Letterman, Leno, Colbert, Kimmel, Seth Myers, Conan O'Brien, Jon Oliver, Bill Mayer, Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee -- all talk politics to one degree or the other. Every one of them. So what, Joe? These are the topics of the day and Trump makes it even more relevant by posting whatever crap comes out of his mouth contemporaneously on twitter -- a social chat forum. It's not like *he's* all presidential about himself and keeps his inner, inappropriate thoughts to himself. As for these hosts not bringing up Harvey Weinstein ... um, they have! I've heard some of them with my own two ears.

Leaving that aside, I don't believe you don't see the difference, Joe. Harvey Weinstein is clearly a horrible human being who should be held accountable both professionally and legally for his horrendous actions over all these years, but he's not the President of the United States. He is not a Senator, Congressman, Governnor, or any other kind of elected official to whom we -- the people -- place a public trust and who should be held to a higher standard, if not by the people, then by their own conscience and morals. Weinstein will (I hope) personally suffer and his company will go belly-up, just as it should. He will answer to consumers and the marketplace as well as the law. But Trump and people of his ilk in public service must answer to the people because we entrust them with making the laws of the land and seeing that the laws are justly executed. To have people with such power over our country acting and behaving in a similar way to Weinstein is not just deeply disturbing, but doubly disturbing and should be talked about everywhere.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

It's a cultural thing with older African American women.  They wear hats like that all the time, to church, to social events etc.  It's seems odd because it's not something white people do, but it is very normal in their culture and they take great pride in their hats.  I'm pretty sure all cultures do and wear things that other cultures think are pretty unusual. 

I don't understand why MJ asked Rep Wilson to come on the show and tell them about the phone call, then accuse her of politicizing it.  Little hypocritical to ask someone on the show to tell you what she heard, then get shitty with her for answering the question.   She sure shut Katty down.   And Willie's remark about Mrs. Johnson's "pregnant belly". OMG,  this segment couldn't have been a bigger cluster fuck.  I appreciate them showing the footage of Mrs Johnson at the casket but no need to talk about "her pregnant belly" JFC Willie. I expect better from at least you.  Just say, her six year old standing there, her two year old being held by a family member, and Mrs Johnson expecting their third child. See how easy that is? 

Calling late night talk show hosts hypocrites for picking and choosing what they feel emotional about, but isn't that what Joe & Co do every day?  Jimmy Kimmel didn't speak about  Harvey Weinstein, okay but haven't heard too much out of Joe about Donald Trump's sexual harassment lately either. 

Guess Peggy Noonan sobered up enough to make one of her monthly "I'm confused" appearances. Peggy if you don't understand how the cost sharing reductions work, maybe just be quiet and listen. Don't help that asshole out by talking about how confused his constituents are. How about asking him about federal money going to oil companies?  

Why is Peggy back on the show?

• Love 1

The transcript of the Rep. Wilson segment is on the Mediaite.com website. I'm not sure I would have gone the direction that Katty went, but it was a fair question to a member of Congress. I gotta say, Halperin came off the best, asking the Congresswoman to talk about the young man who died, who sounded like a fine, very admirable person.  

• Love 4

Was it that bad? I left for work so I missed it

She asked Rep Wilson what she heard Trump say.  She told Katty what she heard. Katty said "don't you think you're politicizing his death and the President's phone call by criticizing the President". Rep Wilson replied "you asked me what he said and I told you". The look on Katty's face was priceless. Probably not used to having someone put her in her place.  

For Katty to try to put her in the same category as Trump, who when just asked about the Niger incident and had he talked to the families, since there hasn't been word one out of the WH about this til last week, went off on his "I'm the only POTUS who's ever called anyone, I don't know what anyone else does, ask the Generals, the letters are in the mail, Obama didn't call Kelly bs.   You could tell he was lying just by what he said and how he was fumbling around.  Of course if he opens his mouth it's either a lie or just a jumble of words that don't make sense.   

Seeing as how we all kind of know how Trump behaves and his inability to be empathetic to anyone's situation, I am going to take Rep Wilson at her word til proven otherwise. 

Re the late night host stuff - bringing up Carson as the standard for how to keep your audience. FFS that was 40 years ago that he said that. The world was a different place. And let me tell you something Joe, I'm in the middle of the country and Colbert, Kimmel, Meyer, Bee, etal, have not lost me at all.  Why is Colbert's ratings thru the roof if no one wants to hear what he says?  His viewers are not just in DC, NYC & California, like you'd like everyone to believe.

Look at the ratings of MNSBC's prime time schedule. They're up dramatically. Because people are interested in finding out what Trump & Co did, and how he's going about destroying the very fabric of this country with this band of miscreants tearing down EPA, Justice,  etc.  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Why is Peggy back on the show?

They needed a confused blonde to fill out the panel?   Had extra vodka in the office that was going to go bad and knew Peggy would finish it off for them?   Had her driver stop off so she could run in studio and grab some donuts and coffee on her way home from  a night of clubbing?  

• Love 5

I admit sometimes I'm only half listening but was there any discussion as to what those guys were doing in Niger? Why did it take 2 days to find the body of Sgt Johnson? Wasn't he with the other 3?  How many US military are in Niger?

Joe annoyed me (what else is new) with his rant about the late night hosts not covering Weinstein.   I find it hard to believe that no one in Iowa or Nebraska or Kentucky watch those shows Joe.  Well maybe not in Kentucky because really could one state have 2 more worse/obnoxious senators than Kentucky?

Peggy Noonan adds absolutely nothing.

I have to start listening closer because I didn't mind what Barnacle or Halperin said this morning.

Please please please let the Democrat in Alabama win - that would really shake up things.

• Love 3

From what I've heard, I think it may have been Jack Jacobs on Brian Williams' last night, that we are there training local military to fight ISIS, Boka Haram, etc.  He said we have special forces troops in a lot of locations doing this kind of training, but it's kept on the down low. 

The group in Niger took some of the military out on a training mission and were ambushed. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, teddysmom said:

No kidding!  Did Peggy actually try to float the cockamamie idea that if only people understood all the insurance acronyms, then Republicans trying to take away their healthcare wouldn't look like thieves in the night?   When was the last time they had a Democrat on to talk about what the Republicans are doing?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Re the late night host stuff - bringing up Carson as the standard for how to keep your audience. FFS that was 40 years ago that he said that. The world was a different place. And let me tell you something Joe, I'm in the middle of the country and Colbert, Kimmel, Meyer, Bee, etal, have not lost me at all.  Why is Colbert's ratings thru the roof if no one wants to hear what he says?  His viewers are not just in DC, NYC & California, like you'd like everyone to believe.

Look at the ratings of MNSBC's prime time schedule. They're up dramatically. Because people are interested in finding out what Trump & Co did, and how he's going about destroying the very fabric of this country with this band of miscreants tearing down EPA, Justice,  etc.  

Poor Jimmy Fallon!   He just wants to have fun and is being punished!

I used to watch Jimmy Fallon all the time.   His impressions of rock stars were amazing (Jim Morrison, in particular).   He lost me the night he leaned over and tousled Trump's hair.   I have not watched him since.

But Scarborough says Fallon is "playing a long game" so I guess that means we'll all be proven idiots in the end for not watching him now.   Such is the fate of meanies like us.

• Love 3

I love the pearls-clutching over late-night hosts discussing politics.  Does anyone remember the Clinton/Monica/Ken Starr period?  Jay Leno, et al piled it on every. single. night.  Joe and company need to maybe look things up on you-tube.  It was exhausting then and it is exhausting now.  Except then....the country didn't have a raving lunatic in charge and we didn't have the Russian problem.    Joe and company always have to have a qualifying reason for the Repubs to act like idiots.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Regarding the Congresswoman's hat, that is her trademark. Her thing. Just like Secretary Madeleine Albright always wears a "large" brooch on her lapel or dress, Congresswoman Wilson always wears a stetson. If you look at her photo in congressional guidebooks, she's got her hat on. If you go to her congressional office's website, there she is in her hat. She likes it. I don't know why.

It just occurred to me that I may be guilty of a double standard but I'm not sure.   Moments ago I saw a picture of Roy Moore in the news again and I didn't think twice that he's wearing a cowboy hat and holding a gun, looking like a little boy playing dress-up.   The thing is, the reason I didn't question his attire is because I regard him as a card-carrying loon.   Wilson was similarly chapeau'ed but I question her because I afford her the presumption of sanity, yet the hat screams crazywoman.      I feel like I've done something unfair, but I can't be sure whom I'm being unfair to -- Wilson or Moore.

Full disclosure: I generally don't like hats as fashion or personal/political/cultural statements.   Hats as utilitarian items, no problem.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, millennium said:

I feel like I've done something unfair, but I can't be sure whom I'm being unfair to -- Wilson or Moore.

Moore is batshit crazy. He's dressing up like that to pander to his base of batshit crazies.

Rep Wilson dresses in the style of AA women of her generation.   If you aren't familiar with that style, it can be a little odd, but believe me, I've been to restaurants on early Sunday afternoons where large groups come in after church, they are dressed up in their Sunday best and many of the women have hats like that, and even bigger and more ornate.   I think Rep Wilson just likes wearing hats as mentioned above, she wears one in her official photos. 

I wear hats in the winter when it's cold. Otherwise I am a no hat person.  

• Love 4