Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Films

ulkis
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Huh?

9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

@GHScorpiosRule I think she meant to say jackasses.

Actually I meant another j word Sharon and Susan say in the movie when their talking to their parents' as Sharon and Maureen are suppose to leave about how messed up the situation still is for her. but I'm not sure why it was ***out

Edited by andromeda331

Just saw "Wish." it's terrible! it's clear that the heroine should have been the villain or at least the star thingie. Once about halfway through, the thing becomes an extremely predictable political polemic. The songs were mediocre as well.

The only good joke is when the lamb discovers that he's a baritone.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Trini said:

Discussion at Variety about Mickey Mouse entering public domain next year:

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/mickey-mouse-public-domain-disney-copyright-lawsuits-1235844322/

The interesting part of that article is how it talks about how Mickey is still a trademark of Disney (which will never expire). So I imagine a lot of lawyers will make a lot of money over the next few years as Disney files lawsuits and things get figured out over what is and what isn't a trademark violation. Especially since for the last few years Steamboat Willie steering the boat has been used as kind of the logo at the start of Disney animated movies.

• Like 2

Unless they are finally going to move on from the original set of toys, I'm not in favor of yet another Toy Story. TS4 was okay, but I wasn't a fan of the direction they took with Woody (and Bo Peep, to a lesser extent).

Pretty neutral on the other sequels; although Zootopia is the only one I think naturally has more stories to tell.

• Like 2

I am really looking forward to Inside Out 2. 

Moana 2 could go either way. I'd need to know more about the movie.

I would much rather have another season of the Zootopia TV series than a movie sequel. I thought the movie was okay, but I loved the TV series.

Frozen 3 has potential. I could see the people of Arendelle and the people of Northuldra needing to team up for some reason.   

Toy Story 5 can work but it would need to be set between Toy Story 3 and Toy Story 4. I want Adventures in Bonnie's Room. The way Toy Story 4 ended, it really does not work well for a sequel, unless the 5th movie is Woody realizing he made a horrible mistake and trying to fix it. 

• Like 2

I wish we didn't have to wait this long for a Zootopia sequel. I loved the first one. I probably won't watch another Toy Story movie. I've always considered the third one the finale with Andy going off to college and the toys going to another family.

• Like 3
(edited)

Frozen 3, Toy Story 5 Release Dates Confirmed
By AARON PERINE - February 7, 2024 
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/disney-frozen-3-toy-story-5-release-dates-confirmed/ 

Frozen 3 and Toy Story 5 have confirmed their release dates. Disney had their Quarter 1 2024 earnings conference call today and announced a whole bunch of developments. Fans of Frozen and Toy Story can look forward to expansions of those franchises in 2026. CEO Bob Iger said, "And we're already looking forward to 2026 and beyond with Frozen 3, the first Toy Story movie since 2019, and a new Star Wars movie that brings the Mandalorian and Grogu to the big screen for the very first time." So, that seems pretty definitive from the head of the entire company. Disney had already stated their intention to make more sequels in response to a sluggish 2023.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
(edited)

Sounds like they're doing both the live-action Moana movie and the animated Moana 2 sequel...

Dwayne Johnson Confirms the Live-Action 'Moana' Movie Has Found Its Star (Exclusive)
By Paige Gawley   February 8, 2024
https://www.etonline.com/dwayne-johnson-confirms-the-live-action-moana-movie-has-found-its-star-exclusive-219532 

Dwayne Johnson is spilling some Moana tea. ET's Nischelle Turner spoke to the actor during the WWE WrestleMania 40 Kickoff event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Thursday, and he revealed that the team behind the upcoming live-action version of Moana has found its leading lady.

"One of the exciting things about that was actually finding our Moana and how exciting that has been," he told ET. "The global search to find our Moana -- which -- between you and I, we found her -- not gonna tell you yet. [It's] very exciting."
"Lin Manuel Miranda's coming back. We're doing the music. Tommy Kail is our director, who directed Hamilton," he said. "You put everybody together and you want to put the best team together and then you really go for it."
As for what fans can expect from the film, which Johnson said he's "excited" to start shooting later this year, the actor teased, "The scale should be beautiful." 

On top of the live-action film, Disney announced earlier this month that an animated sequel to Moana will be released on Nov. 27.

"It's very exciting. I can't wait for fans to see the film, the technology, the effects, cutting edge," Johnson told ET. "We all really went for it. We thought if we're gonna make a sequel to something so beloved, let's really go for it."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

Annie Awards: ‘Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse’ Takes Best Feature And Tops Winners List; ‘Blue Eye Samurai’ Dominates TV
By Patrick Hipes   February 17, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/02/annie-awards-2024-winners-list-1235827577/ 

The Special Achievement Award (Unique and outstanding achievement not recognized within the existing award category structure)

The Artists of Walt Disney Animation

Edited by tv echo

The Moana news is pretty wild, given what’s been going on with Dwayne in his wrestling career.  I can’t imagine that Disney is thrilled about him being back to calling entire arenas full of people trailer park trash, even if they probably aren’t the target audience for Moana 2 or the remake.

11 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

The Moana news is pretty wild, given what’s been going on with Dwayne in his wrestling career.  I can’t imagine that Disney is thrilled about him being back to calling entire arenas full of people trailer park trash, even if they probably aren’t the target audience for Moana 2 or the remake.

Maybe if this were the 1980's that might be a problem, but I think these days most wrestling fans know that when he is "The Rock" he is playing a character no different from his character in any movie. Now his connection and support of Vince McMahon might be a problem.

• Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Maybe if this were the 1980's that might be a problem, but I think these days most wrestling fans know that when he is "The Rock" he is playing a character no different from his character in any movie. Now his connection and support of Vince McMahon might be a problem.

True - there's a difference between his real life and his wrestling persona.  But, I think it's pretty significant that they've decided to make "The Rock" a bad guy now because many fans were upset at things "Dwayne" was doing.  Specifically here, they felt that he was trying to use his pull (he's now on the board of the parent company) to insert himself into the top match at Wrestlemania.  In doing so, he was going to step in front of Cody Rhodes, who the fans felt "deserved" that billing (Rhodes "earned" his spot following a year plus long storyline, so they are heavily invested in seeing him there).  That's where I think Disney has a problem - because it's Dwayne that needs to sell movie tickets, not The Rock.  Now, I concede that they can (and probably will) find a way to flip The Rock again - but I think it would be concerning that what people think of Dwayne can impact the way they view his performances.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Useful 1

That list of upcoming films made me sad.  Not an original in the bunch.   Are we doomed to sequels and live action re-makes for all time?  I want to see originals!  How are we going to get the next Frozen, or Inside Out, if all the talent and attention is on retreads?

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Frost said:

That list of upcoming films made me sad.  Not an original in the bunch.   Are we doomed to sequels and live action re-makes for all time?  I want to see originals!  How are we going to get the next Frozen, or Inside Out, if all the talent and attention is on retreads?

Well, people poo-pooed on the recent original animated movies that came out like Elemental, Turning Red, and Wish. *sigh*

• Like 5

I was dubious about Elemental, but I ended up liking it.  I'm not a fan of Red Panda.  The mother is so horrible I can't find her funny.  And I never saw Wish.

(edited)

There are apparently 3 new, upcoming Moana productions at Disney...

Moana 2 (animated movie sequel to Moana) - opens in theaters Nov. 27, 2024
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/moana-2-disney-november-2024

Disney: The Tale of Moana (live stage show on the Disney Treasure cruise ship) - debuts in Dec. 2024
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2024/01/first-look-at-new-disney-treasure-moana-show/

Moana (live action movie remake) - opens in theaters Jun. 27, 2025
https://www.today.com/popculture/live-action-moana-cast-release-date-details-rcna138390

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Next On Disney+ | March 2024
Disney Plus   Mar 1, 2024

Taylor Swift | The Eras Tour (Taylor’s Version) | Official Trailer | Disney+
Disney Plus   Mar 4, 2024

Saw Wish a few days ago. It's pretty damn bad.

The villain is annoying. That's the one thing you don't want your villain to be. He can by sympathetically evil, lawfull evil, dispicably evil or just evil evil, but you never want them to be annoyingly evil.

Also if you have to have his motivation be a tragic backstory, you can't really just gloss over it and make him just a massive jerk. That might be a thing in real life but it doesn't work in a fictional story. You at least have to explore why trauma doesn't automatically make you right. You know, pick up on the things you established and build upon them. I haven't read anything of the behind the scenes, but this feels like extensive rewrites.

The songs were pretty bad except one and even that one wasn't great.

Kinda sad, since I like a lot of the ingredients. The luma was cute and Alan Tudyk as a talking goat is just amazing.

Also as an aside: Did big guy get his Wish at the end? Everybody else did, but his wasn't shown. I doubt his real wish was to be a knight for the king.

• Like 3

Yep.  I'm in.  But Riley's parents still only have the basic five.  What happened to their anxiety and ennui?  (I do love that there's one called ennui.)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yep.  I'm in.  But Riley's parents still only have the basic five.  What happened to their anxiety and ennui?  (I do love that there's one called ennui.)

One of my friends and I have a theory that the new emotions are only in headquarters and that close to the control board during adolescence. This explains why we only see the basic five emotions in Riley's parents. 

• Like 4

Walt Disney Studios (which includes Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel Studios, Searchlight, and 20th Century Studios) is scheduled to present its upcoming release schedule on April 11 at CinemaCon...

https://cinemacon.com/schedule#horizontalTab5

11 APRIL
2:30 PM - 4:30 PM
WALT DISNEY STUDIOS INVITES YOU TO ITS 2024 PRESENTATION HIGHLIGHTING ITS UPCOMING RELEASE SCHEDULE

(edited)

D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event, August 9-11, 2024 (Anaheim, CA)
https://ultimatefanevent.d23.com/ 

Everything Just Announced About D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event
MARCH 19, 2024
https://d23.com/everything-just-announced-about-d23-the-ultimate-disney-fan-event/ 

Disney Entertainment Showcase
Friday, August 9 – 7:00 p.m.
Honda Center

Enjoy the magic of Disney Entertainment in a star-studded showcase featuring the best of Disney storytelling onstage and onscreen. Get an exclusive look at the movies, series, and shows fans love, and a glimpse into what to look forward to from Disney’s film studios, television and streaming services, live stage shows on Broadway, and beyond. Join some favorite stars as they give a peek behind the curtain at upcoming projects, never-before-seen footage and art, surprise announcements and special guests, musical performances, and exclusive new content coming to the big screen, to smaller screens, and to the stage… all from Disney Entertainment.
Disney Legends Ceremony
Sunday, August 11 – 5:00 p.m.
Honda Center

Ryan Seacrest will host this special ceremony to celebrate the 2024 class of Disney Legends—14 individuals who have made a significant impact on the Disney legacy. Filmmakers, Imagineers, artists, writers, and other magic makers will be honored in a spectacular award show featuring special performances and special guests. This year, the Walt Disney Archives is honoring Colleen Atwood, Angela Bassett, Martha Blanding, James L. Brooks, James Cameron, Jamie Lee Curtis, Miley Cyrus, Steve Ditko, Harrison Ford, Mark Henn, Frank Oz, Kelly Ripa, Joe Rohde, and John Williams.
Presentations

• New this year, the Spotlight Stage will be located on the main show floor for deeper conversations with stars and storytellers as well as interactive entertainment for fans throughout the day.

The Incredibles Screening
Wednesday, August 7 at 8:00 p.m.

D23, in collaboration with Street Food Cinema, will present an outdoor screening of The Incredibles to celebrate its 20th anniversary. The event will take place at Pearson Park Amphitheater in Downtown Anaheim. Tickets are available here.

Disney-Legends-Group-768x432.png

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
On 4/5/2024 at 5:54 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I watched Wish on Disney+ and it wasn’t that bad. Not great, but not terrible either. Easter eggs aside, it was original. 

I watched it last night and I'm not angry about it. I thought it was cute. It exceeded my expectations, but they weren't very high to begin with.

• Like 4
On 4/5/2024 at 4:54 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I watched Wish on Disney+ and it wasn’t that bad. Not great, but not terrible either. Easter eggs aside, it was original. 

I was expecting to hate it and ended up pleasantly surprised.  Yes the songs were terrible, but I liked the basic themes and Asha's relationship with her family and friends.  The one thing that bothers me is that it was aiming for 3D models rendered in 2D, but to me, it looks like the same (frankly, tired) 3D art style we've seen since at least Tangled.

On 3/8/2024 at 3:09 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Also as an aside: Did big guy get his Wish at the end? Everybody else did, but his wasn't shown. I doubt his real wish was to be a knight for the king.

I think that was his wish, but that was when he and the rest of the kingdom though Magnifico was a force for good.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Brn2bwild said:

I think that was his wish, but that was when he and the rest of the kingdom though Magnifico was a force for good.

I don't think it was. That would have been far too convenient.

Watched 'Bambi' for probably the first time since I was very small. I always hear about the scene where Bambi's mother gets shot as being so traumatic. Well, it's actually very low-key and younger children probably wouldn't even know what's going on. We see them running, we hear a shot, but that's all. No gore, no body (Yes, I'm looking at you 'Lion King'! ). Actually, the scenes that would probably scare children are the ones where Bambi fights the other buck, when the animals are chased by the unseen hunters and are shot at, the hunting dogs attacking Faline and Bambi, and -- most of all (at least to me) -- the huge forest fire that wipes out the entire forest. (on the other hand, Thumper and Flower are still adorable.)

11 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Watched 'Bambi' for probably the first time since I was very small. I always hear about the scene where Bambi's mother gets shot as being so traumatic. Well, it's actually very low-key and younger children probably wouldn't even know what's going on. We see them running, we hear a shot, but that's all. No gore, no body (Yes, I'm looking at you 'Lion King'! ).

Well, we did see a body in the scene where that poor bird gets so freaked out that she flies out of her hiding place…😭😭😭

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
On 4/9/2024 at 6:58 PM, BooksRule said:

Watched 'Bambi' for probably the first time since I was very small. I always hear about the scene where Bambi's mother gets shot as being so traumatic. Well, it's actually very low-key and younger children probably wouldn't even know what's going on. We see them running, we hear a shot, but that's all. No gore, no body (Yes, I'm looking at you 'Lion King'! ). Actually, the scenes that would probably scare children are the ones where Bambi fights the other buck, when the animals are chased by the unseen hunters and are shot at, the hunting dogs attacking Faline and Bambi, and -- most of all (at least to me) -- the huge forest fire that wipes out the entire forest. (on the other hand, Thumper and Flower are still adorable.)

Gen X here. Saw Bambi in the theaters when I was quite wee. Believe me, NO ONE missed out on what happened. The panic? The echoing gunshot? Bambi searching for her in the snow and becoming more and more scared when she didn't answer?

And finally... "Your mother can't be with you any longer."

It's traumatizing for a reason. We all got it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

Gen X here. Saw Bambi in the theaters when I was quite wee. Believe me, NO ONE missed out on what happened. The panic? The echoing gunshot? Bambi searching for her in the snow and becoming more and more scared when she didn't answer?

Not to mention the devastating realization that life as he knew it was over, and now he left with a father he barely knew, the aloof Great Prince of the Forest. Which made the loss even more traumatizing.

• Sad 4
(edited)

Disney at CinemaCon 2024: Everything Announced and Revealed
BY ADAM BANKHURST   APR 11, 2024
https://www.ign.com/articles/disney-at-cinemacon-2024-everything-announced-and-revealed 

Disney held the final big studio presentation of CinemaCon 2024 and it brought updates for a few Disney and Marvel projects, including Inside Out 2, Deadpool & Wolverine, Captain America: Brave New World, Moana 2, Mufasa: The Lion King, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Young Woman and the Sea, and much more.

• Deadpool & Wolverine Shows Nine Minutes of Footage at CinemaCon: 'Suck it Fox, We're Going to Disneyland'
  • Captain America: Brave New World Shows First Footage at CinemaCon: Harrison Ford Asks Anthony Mackie to Rebuild the Avengers
  • 13 Minutes of Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes Sets Up the Wild Adventure to Come
  • Young Woman and the Sea Trailer Gives the World a Look at Daisy Ridley as an Olympic Swimmer Defying All the Odds
  • Alien: Romulus Footage Is As Scary As It Is Awesome
  • Inside Out 2 Footage Shows the Troubles of Becoming a Teenager
  • Mufasa: The Lion King Gets a Quick, Yet Beautiful First Look
  • Moana 2 Footage Teases the New Adventures Ahead
  • The Amateur Is a Tale of Blackmail and Revenge
Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
On 4/11/2024 at 3:32 PM, Dandesun said:

Yes we did. I still can't rewatch that scene.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BetterButter said:

It's visually stunning, but the plot makes no sense. I can accept that the animated version and the CGI version are two different cinematic universes. Even going off the newer CGI version, I do not see how you end up with line the of succession you need to make the first film work.

They made it overly complicated. I am not opposed to a prequel, but keep it simple. Mufasa is the oldest biological son of the current king, nd Scar is the younger sibling. The emotional core of the movie is sibling rivalry, and in the end you explain how/why Scar gets banished. 

• Like 2

It seems like they learned a few lessons in making the making the characters more expressive (anthropomorphized) than the reboot. Still not convinced this needs to exist; but at least it's a new story this time.

• Like 1
(edited)

CEO Bob Iger's comments about Disney films during Disney's fiscal second-quarter earnings call... 

Marvel Will Release No More Than Three Movies and Two Shows Per Year, Bob Iger Says
By Jennifer Maas   May 7, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/marvel-tv-shows-movies-reduced-bob-iger-disney-1235994149/ 

Later in the call, Iger fielded a question about Disney’s focus on sequels and originals, noting that the focus is currently more on franchise films: “We’re gonna balance sequels with originals. Specifically in animation, we had gone through a period where our original films and animation, both Disney and Pixar, were dominating. We’re now swinging back a bit to lean on sequels.”

Iger cited Disney’s plans for the next “Toy Story” movie and this summer’s release of “Inside Out 2” and said these films have an increased value because known IP costs less to market.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

News for both animated Moana 2 and live action Moana...

Moana 2 | Teaser Trailer
Walt Disney Animation Studios   May 29, 2024

Dwayne Johnson Announces Production Window for Moana Live-Action
BY ALI VALLE   MAY 28, 2024
https://movieweb.com/dwayne-johnson-comments-moana-live-action-update-production-window/ 

Dwayne Johnson has provided fans a sneak peek into the upcoming live-action remake of Disney's 2016 hit, Moana, with a behind-the-scenes video that showcases his preparation for the project. The actor, reprising his role as the charismatic demigod Maui and serving as an executive producer, confirmed that production is set to commence this fall.

The Instagram video captures Johnson in the vocal booth as he lays down the preliminary vocals for Maui’s popular tune, "You're Welcome." Accompanying the clip, Johnson’s caption lauds what he describes as a "cool day of work," pointing out the expertise of the assembled group of artists and filmmakers involved in the project.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2