Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

(edited)

Well, Pandora sounds more interesting than "sexy Betsy Ross" at least. Based on the mythology, I'm guessing that she probably ends up a villain, maybe the big bad for the season.

Edited by cynic
  • Love 1

Well, Pandora sounds more interesting than "sexy Betsy Ross" at least. Based on the mythology, I'm guessing that she probably ends up a villain, maybe the big bad for the season.

Yeah.  Seriously if we hadn't had 'Sexy Betsy Ross' thrown at us, then the temptation to face palm this wouldn't be so high.  But this sounds more in line with what we want to hear about.  Pandora opening her box has a lot of potential.

But still would it kill them to give us some Team Witness intel?  Geez!

• Love 4

Yeah.  Seriously if we hadn't had 'Sexy Betsy Ross' thrown at us, then the temptation to face palm this wouldn't be so high.  But this sounds more in line with what we want to hear about.  Pandora opening her box has a lot of potential.

Same.  The casting of Sossamon has me going "Ok..." but the description doesn't make me want to punch things like I did with Betsy Ross.  

Maybe their PR team is learning.

Letting in Pandora would open the door to an entire world of non-Abrahamic (islamic, jewish, christian) supernatural—which I think they've been sticking to so far, haven't they?—and that could be really interesting. 

(edited)

What is mysterious about Pandora? Or does American education just ignore classical mythology and ancient times? If so that explains way too much, if not, somebody needs to go back to school.

Sigh...when I see a regular status casting, all I'm thinking is that the extras budget is getting lower and that instead of having new fun encounters, we will be stuck with the same 10 people all season. These guys need to watch Grimm pronto. You don't limit the size of your toy box! You keep a revolving door policy and bring back those that leave an effect. A Pandora storyline that is ongoing? That sounds bad. I don't even know why, but it does. Either there will be faux drama to keep her around or the heroes will have to be really stupid not to id the issue promptly. So she somehow opens the box, what is the point of the character past being the kickstarting plot device? Do they invent a backstory and plans of action that justifies her being there all season? I am confused and amused. And still firm in my decision to not watch as the show airs. But I will keep up with this thread because of the train wreck effect.

What's sad is that I don't think the casting itself is bad but I really don't see what they could do to interest me with this character being present all season. I will give them props because the character seems to come less out of nowhere than sexy Betsy and they clearly thought about a source of opposition to replace moloch. The fact that there was no article about the casting call little time before the publication of the casting makes me feel like this was actually planned in advance. Sounds like a good idea / bad execution combo but maybe I will be surprised. And dare I say it, it seems they are getting some creative ideas so maybe I am in for a good surprise?

Question: why do some people assume she will be a villain? In the myth I am familiar with, she is collateral damage and basically created to punish mankind. I guess she could be angry at being manipulated? Interesting that Pandora is Ancient Greece's version of Eve, like you know...in the Bible. That link could get her to the villain place though so, maybe? *shrugs* I'm bored you guys.

Edited by fantique
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm just assuming she's a villain, because we have no antagonist at the moment with Moloch/Henry gone and four female regulars along with Crane (and I'm guessing at least one more male eventually) on one side seems a bit crowded. I think there are variations of the myth, but it's not like the show ever felt it necessary to hew closely to any source material anyway. I'm guessing that she will be revealed as plotting to open this mythical box of evils and that she will actually succeed at either the mid-season or season finale. If the show continues after that, Team Witness will have to battle those escapees in a more MotW format. Alternatively, she will be a guardian of the box that truly seeks help from Team Witness against a new big bad who wants to open it.

Edited by cynic
  • Love 2

I don't know. Since they seem to be bent on exploring Ichabod's love life, it would be hilarious if Pandora became yet another woman, who falls for his more than questionable charms. If she's a villain, I wonder if his love could redeem her...

• Love 2

from the SH Facebook page announcing Shannyn Sossamon was joining the cast;

"Jihan Martinez: I really dislike this actress...nothing against her personally, but her breathy acting in every performance is really annoying."

Uh-Oh.

• Love 1

from the SH Facebook page announcing Shannyn Sossamon was joining the cast;

"Jihan Martinez: I really dislike this actress...nothing against her personally, but her breathy acting in every performance is really annoying."

Don't go by one random person on the internet.  She's been one of the few bright spots on Wayward Pines. I'm not happy about Yet Another White Woman, but she is not a bad choice.

I don't know. Since they seem to be bent on exploring Ichabod's love life, it would be hilarious if Pandora became yet another woman, who falls for his more than questionable charms. If she's a villain, I wonder if his love could redeem her...

I hope not, we need an actual villain since the writers trolled them all last season.

From a Sleepy Hollowers post:

Anonymous asked: Hell, guys; I've figured it out. Why they're taking so long to get script approvals and start filming. Why they're being so cagey and smug about the storyline. Why they've nixed OJ and possibly Sakina. Why they're able to call Betsy a "series regular". Team Witness still has the Grand Grimoire with the Traveler's Spell. They're going to be sending people (probably just Ichabod) back to the past, either for a story arc or on a frequent basis.

If I'd wanted to watch a show where the lead time travels on a regular basis I'd watch Doctor Who.

(edited)

Don't go by one random person on the internet.  She's been one of the few bright spots on Wayward Pines. I'm not happy about Yet Another White Woman, but she is not a bad choice.

Good. I was hoping someone who had watched Wayward Pines would say she is okay. (I've never watched it). And I do have Pandora's Box charm on my bracelet. Always been fascinated by the Pandora story.

Edited by DJG1122
(edited)

If I'd wanted to watch a show where the lead time travels on a regular basis I'd watch Doctor Who.

Because only one (half-assed) TV show is allowed to do time-travel stories...(If I hear "timey-wimey" one more time... UGH!)

Edited by jhlipton

Shot of our season 3 lovelies courtesy of M. Raven Metzner.

Ha! I knew it with Crane's hair. When you saw Mison at the recent Comic Cons a couple months ago, he was obviously growing his hair out. I speculated (elsewhere) that he wanted to ditch the wigs and get extensions. I was partially right....

Well, this should make you guys happy. Told ya *grin* Still lots of time before October.

Go here first: https://twitter.com/LanceGross

Now lookie what Cliff Campbell retweeted:

Damn, that's a sexy man. Yum.

Yeah, Lance, is cute but TPTB are still getting a side eye from me. That wasn't a press release stating he was a regular. That was his own freaking tweet the head writer retweeted. He could just be miniamally recurring or doing a single episode.

Pessimistic, yes, but that's all I have for this team until they show me differently.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well imagine that the only male and POC cast to interact with Abbie is slated for a recurring role while all the females who will probably interact more with Ichabod than Abbie are listed as regulars hmmm. Also the article said "FBI Special Agent In Charge" as her boss". http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sleepy-hollow-season-3-lance-811033  Not sure if that was a misprint but why would Sleepy Hollow need a FBI Agent? Wonder if they are going to do some episodes with Abbie and Ichabod in different locations.

Feels like I'm gonna be looking into the same large cracked mirror from S2 and they haven't bought or bothered to get the glue to at least make the cracks appear smaller. Guess I'll have to wait and see but I honestly do not have too much patience for them so yeah the leash is real short.

Also wondering what fate is awaiting Jenny this season. I really thought they had did a good reset at the end of S2. Was looking forward to see the mischief and adventures Abbie, Ichabod, Irving and Jenny would get into. Now there is NO Irving and diddly squat mentioned about Jenny. I know there is time but belief in this show do right by the Mills sister is still filled with mistrust.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought I'd post this link to a poll  @TVJuriste has regarding the new logo for her site. As many of you know, she does some excellent recaps and commentary regarding SH so if you get a chance, you can give your input regarding the new logo. :)

http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/tv-time-help-launch-tvjuriste-509881/poll/4by8wx?utm_source=voting_app&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=voting

Edited by RiddleyWalker

This is actually not making me happy, but really making me wary of the direction they are taking the show in, and how they seem to want to sex it up and shop it to an audience that has not cared about this show for the two seasons it's already been on. Young, sexy Boss, young sexy Ross ...

No shade to Lance (and I am honest about this), but Orlando was sacrificed for his hiring and I'm NOT okay with this. 

This show has done absolutely nothing to earn my respect and my benefit of the doubt, so I feel ENTIRELY comfortable in saying that I think that they haven't learned their damn lesson, and season 3 is going to blow. They are absolutely free to prove me wrong.

I feel terrible for Orlando, he did not deserve this. 

• Love 6

I loved Orlando on the show as well. I wish I knew more about why he was "let go." Honestly, I wonder if the whole Irving family story (which I think bogged down S1) was part of it. Just seemed like the writers had given him a lot of baggage that made it difficult. I enjoyed the chemistry in the romantic hints between he and Lyndie, but it would be hard to pursue that in a compelling and believable way while keeping him a sympathetic character. There's also an age difference, I think, but I'm too lazy to look it up… ;)

Yeah, Lance, is cute but TPTB are still getting a side eye from me. That wasn't a press release stating he was a regular.

Bloody hell....you guys are killing me. Blown away by the response. For Lance Gross (sorry, haven't seen him in anything), I'm just guessing that the casting announcement hasn't come out yet, but he's just tweeting pre-emptively. It should be released probably in a week or so.

Well, apparently the show is aiming for a younger demographic and trying to sex stuff up.

Sleepy Hollow casts Abbie's New Boss.

Damn, I LOVED Orlando as the boss.....Blatant Hollywood character sexualization. At least this time it applied to the men (sorry, Orlando - and yes you are quite sexy).

I loved Orlando on the show as well. I wish I knew more about why he was "let go."

I think that the show decided there was no where else to go with Irvings family (which sucks). People have speculated that it was because of his shade/tweeting about the show. I disagree - if that was the case, they would have told him to STFU. Either this happened and he told them to fuck off, or the show decided that Irving wasn't needed anymore. However, I do have this speculation that Goffman still can pull strings with the higher-ups, and this was his retaliation for KW being killed off. /conspiracyme!

Hollywood sexing shit up...see above. Notice that I had to literally ditch my ENTIRE post after reading that....I added that link after writing my comment - strike tags rule....

Hollywood sexing shit up...see above. Notice that I had to literally ditch my ENTIRE post after reading that....I added that link after writing my comment - strike tags rule....

If they've lost HalcyonDays...

Here's something to make you feel better, my friend:

CKtrhNJUkAA-nVk.jpg

I am conflicted about this casting news, because Lance Gross is a very handsome man, at last some male eyecandy!, but I still wish it wasn't as trade off for Orlando. To be fair though, Lance is not even a regular, so he might be in just a couple of episodes and barely featured.

Before they announced his role, I had hopes he'd be cast as Abbie's love interest, but they were dashed the moment I read he'd be her boss. I guess I'll tune in for all the Abbie scenes and now for this character. I'll probably fastforward the rest.

Damn, I LOVED Orlando as the boss.....Blatant Hollywood character sexualization. At least this time it applied to the men (sorry, Orlando - and yes you are quite sexy).

I disagree with this. Casting an attractive man is not sexualization. Turning Quaker Betsy Ross into a sexy spy for Ichabod's benefit is sexualization.
  • Love 1

If they've lost HalcyonDays...

Nah, they haven't lost me (yet). I wrote the post, posted it, then read the news and was like, dammit! Gotta edit the whole thing.

I'm still here, still have hope. Still though, if I seriously lose interest in this show - and this is not to brag - but yeah, then they messed up big time. I have never ever cheerleaded for a show like this before. Never before and most likely never again. *sigh*

Besides, I'm still here for this gorgeous man....http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/wennpic/tom-mison-late-show-with-david-letterman-02.jpg

(and I want his shirt..)

Thank you for posting my three favourite people, jhlipton!

Before they announced his role, I had hopes he'd be cast as Abbie's love interest, but they were dashed the moment I read he'd be her boss. I guess I'll tune in for all the Abbie scenes and now for this character.
I disagree with this. Casting an attractive man is not sexualization. Turning Quaker Betsy Ross into a sexy spy for Ichabod's benefit is sexualization.

I thought that too, but being cast as boss to me means they replaced Orlando with someone "sexier". Or Abbie starts banging her boss. Hey man, you never know with Hollywood.

As for the sexualization, see above comment. Black man was replaced with a "sexier" version of himself as police Captain. Why him, why not stick with Orlando? We will see in the fall.

This is actually not making me happy, but really making me wary of the direction they are taking the show in, and how they seem to want to sex it up and shop it to an audience that has not cared about this show for the two seasons it's already been on. Young, sexy Boss, young sexy Ross ...

No shade to Lance (and I am honest about this), but Orlando was sacrificed for his hiring and I'm NOT okay with this. 

This show has done absolutely nothing to earn my respect and my benefit of the doubt, so I feel ENTIRELY comfortable in saying that I think that they haven't learned their damn lesson, and season 3 is going to blow. They are absolutely free to prove me wrong.

It isn't necessarily cutting edge storytelling these days, but I'd rather see "Sexy" Betsy have the hots for Abbie or Jenny than do She-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named v2.0.

Orlando clearly did not deserve S2...well, no one did.  But I think I'd rather him be free to pursue other options rather than tied to an iffy S3.  I'm hoping they prove you (and me) wrong too.

Can someone please take pity on me and find a clip of Ich doing the Slide to Open?  That is one of my favorite scenes from SH and one of the very few bright spots of S2.

(edited)

Per the THR link, Lance Gross isn't SH Police, he is an FBI Special Agent in Charge.  So apparently there are some major changes in Abbie's profession.  She is no longer with SH and finally did go to Quantico?  So.. time jump obviously. And of course there is a field office in SH....

This of course could explain why they released Orlando  if  the law enforcement piece is being shifted to FBI rather than SHPD. And where dos that leave Sakina Jaffrey?  Is she still involved in SH?  She was  recurring, but still....

Edited by DearEvette

And where dos that leave Sakina Jaffrey?  Is she still involved in SH?  She was  recurring, but still....

Gone, I guess?  They did nothing with her at all.

(edited)

Maybe they are opening up an FBI Special Projects Bureau in SH?  And Abbie is finally becoming an agent?  Or maybe he's just in charge (do they sometimes do that where they have the FBI take over jurisdiction of a police department?)?

This would explain how they get linked up with Bones - Brennan probably knows Abbie's new boss and something strange happens with bones that need analysis, etc.. and that's how they end up on Bones - the bones are analyzed there in DC (my stomping grounds!) and then eventually the story culminates in Sleepy Hollow for part 2.

Okay - not hating it - at least not that part.

But I do wonder if SexyFBIAgentInChargeLanceGross and Abbie hook up and then at the end of the whole thing, he offers her the opportunity to get back what she lost - come back to DC with him and become an FBI agent... and lots of angst with Crane and Abbie, will she go, won't she go, etc..?

But it's not lost on me that the character that will likely develop Abbie's story is just recurring - if that - while TWO women who both pass as white are now series regulars (Neither Nikki nor the other woman would be assumed anything other than white unless we were told otherwise, so people bringing up their racial heritage as if that actually takes away from the fact that they pass as white please stop it).

Sexy Betsy Ross still bothers me greatly and I think that with the addition of Pandora - it's still just more of the same.  Fox clearly wants to just throw as many women at Ichabod as possible - and I'm sure he chemistry tested with BOTH of them (unlike Katrina/Katia).  They'll just keep throwing women at him (but I guarantee none of them will ever be anything other than white) until they believe they've found one who can supplant Abbie.

I know I sound pessimistic - but I just can't help it.  This show just keeps walking through all of these racist tropes and it's just bothering so much more - I can't ignore it like I could before.  It's almost easier when the black female or WoC IS NOT the lead.  At least then you know what you're in for and aren't disappointed.  With this... all we get is let down.

Crane gets the women to be the series regular for him.  Abbie gets maybe a character who'll stick around for a couple of episodes and then nothing.  Fox and SH obviously still believe Ichabod is the draw and thus everything revolves around him.  That newspaper article was right - they would prefer Abbie just being a sidekick.

I hate you Fox.  And if SH lets me down like I think they will, I hate them too.

Oh and btw - Betsy Ross' thing with the flag is probably because she was trying to use it to send secret codes and messages or something.  Bleh.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2
(edited)

My spec is that this introduction of an FBI connection is to attach it to Bones for the crossover. That new character could float between them, as a colleague of Booth at the FBI

and as Abbie's boss for a temporary time.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

My spec is that this introduction of an FBI connection is to attach it to Bones for the crossover. That new character could float between them, as a colleague of Booth at the FBI

and as Abbie's boss for a temporary time.

Yep - that's what I was just saying.  GMTA!

One of the Twilight films is on and I cannot seem to get past how much Nikki Reed reminds me of Katia Winter. Same general facial structure, etc..  I honestly thought after Katrina they finally got it - but I just don't think they do.  No matter how big of a success shows like Scandal and Empire are, networks in general still don't get it.  Heck - the ratings for SH in the first half of S1 prove that they had a hit - but still they ruined it.  And the last 2 episodes of season 2 made it seem like they got it - but now I just feel like we're in for a hot mess.  If Shonda Rhymes gets Scandal back on track... and SH is on to some effery, then we are so screwed.

One of the Twilight films is on and I cannot seem to get past how much Nikki Reed reminds me of Katia Winter.

Really? To me, she looks almost identical to Stana Katic (from Castle). Can Reed act though, is the big question.

Really? To me, she looks almost identical to Stana Katic (from Castle). Can Reed act though, is the big question.

She was spectacularly bad in the Twilight movies, but then to my mind pretty much nobody managed to rise above the Twilight movies but Ashley Greene and I've seen some of them be good in other things, so it may not be her fault.

Reed was good in Thirteen, but that was a long time ago, and she was easily surpassed in talent by Evan Rachel Wood.  Reed wasn't bad in Twilight either, I just don't think she has a lot of range.

Not here one way or the other with Lance Gross.  He's hot and all, but I'm not liking the implied undertones of Abbie hooking up with him, if that's where they're going.  One thing I had hoped we would see from Irving was a similar paternal bond that Abbie had with Corbin.  I like the idea of having an older figure around for the others to socialize with.  Too bad that Reyes (Sakina Jaffrey) was so underdeveloped.

As it is, I'm pretty sure Sharif Atkins is making another appearance next season along with that angel guy (Metatron?), so I do think there will be some romantic hookups for Abbie in the future.  She doesn't necessarily have to hook up with her boss.

Ok, I'll admit I'll watch it JUST to see Lance Gross and if he's a love interest for Abbie - GREAT!  If they're going to be all racist and imply that people should "stick to their own kind", at least bring in somebody fine.  Lance fits the bill.

Ok, I'll admit I'll watch it JUST to see Lance Gross and if he's a love interest for Abbie - GREAT!  If they're going to be all racist and imply that people should "stick to their own kind", at least bring in somebody fine.  Lance fits the bill.

Ditto! What the name of this ship? Dabbie? Danabbie? Not that it's going to happen, but one can dream!

Ditto! What the name of this ship? Dabbie? Danabbie? Not that it's going to happen, but one can dream!

I want to call it Dabble - so Abbie can just dabble at Daniel as a short term thing.

But honestly I just want this to be something that centers the story around Abbie for a change. In the first half os S1, the focus on Abbie really drove the story nicely and gave the story an amazing edge... I didn't mind the focus/flashbacks on Ichabod, but when they got too heavy handed and then all of Sleepy Hollow focused on Ichabod as though Abbie didn't exist, it just sucked the life right out of the show.

I hope the writers understand that what made Sleepy Hollow special was Ichabod as a fish out of water and Abbie as the straight man who represents us, allowing us to react to Ichabod, etc.. But it's when we see how Ichabod and the whole Witness thing actually impacts Abbie that drives home what Abbie/we have lost going on this witness journey... and it helps us bond even more with Ichabod. It doesn't work if Ichabod has his entire past here with him in the present. Then he's less special and his odd ticks and stuff just become grating and annoying.

What would make Dabble interesting for me would be to see Daniel represent everything that Abbie had to give up for Ichabod and their Witness duties... this would be interesting from Abbie's perspective - what if she'd gone down the other fork in the road rather than following Ichabod? And for Ichabod, who shanked his wife to save Abbie, what would it mean for him if she left? What would he have left?

THAT is where this story is most interesting... it's the contrast between Abbie and the present world, Ichabod's past and his loss of that past, and both of them coming to terms with being witnesses and what that means for them separately, together and with/without other people in their lives.

If the writers would just write THAT story, that would be awesome. I just don't trust them to do it.

• Love 2

Interesting - she doesn't look like Stana to me... I just noticed the same blank stare and whispery acting that we got from KW. And she was rarely in the action oriented scenes so I just don't see her being able to pull off kickass spy. But well, Michelle Trachtenburg managed to pull off an amazing Georgina Sparks, so there's that....

I just can't believe she was made a regular. I wonder with NB and LG are thinking right now. Or even TM.

That was a strange article. They never said who "Crane" was, and it seems odd that a casting site wouldn't have figured out that Orlando Jones is gone.