Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

I have had enough of Ichabod screaming about the woman he loves and his chil'ren and whatnot. It wasn't a good look when it was about Katrina, and it won't be attractive with Abbie either. 

That's my problem too with any Ichabbie scenario. Ichy is man of words and melodrama, not of deep feelings and action, which is why the Cranes felt flat and not only because of Katrina's blankness. The last thing I want is hearing him whine about his beloved Abbie, while making everything about him and his feelings.

I don't think we have to worry about it though. Abbie is not Ichy's type. He's not attracted to her (and vice versa) or interested in her in any way. Besides, I'm sure the show will cast the "right" woman to be his love interest.

However, I do want to see Abbie in a passionate romance (Calvin!). I think it would work better than the horrible Cranes and their dullness. She has so much chemistry with everyone, it would be a pity to continue to reduce her world to Ichy and nothing but Ichy and work, something the show has done for two seasons straight. It's time to focus a little more on her private life now.

• Love 1

Heh, that RPG site has been locked down now, you have to actually follow it to see the tweets now.

darn. i knew i should have taken a few screen grabs. snooze you lose.

That's my problem too with any Ichabbie scenario. Ichy is man of words and melodrama, not of deep feelings and action, which is why the Cranes felt flat and not only because of Katrina's blankness. The last thing I want is hearing him whine about his beloved Abbie, while making everything about him and his feelings.

I don't think we have to worry about it though. Abbie is not Ichy's type. He's not attracted to her (and vice versa) or interested in her in any way. Besides, I'm sure the show will cast the "right" woman to be his love interest.

However, I do want to see Abbie in a passionate romance (Calvin!). I think it would work better than the horrible Cranes and their dullness. She has so much chemistry with everyone, it would be a pity to continue to reduce her world to Ichy and nothing but Ichy and work, something the show has done for two seasons straight. It's time to focus a little more on her private life now.

Respectfully disagree. I'd love for the witnesses to focus on their witnessing -w/ zero romance. unresolved sexual tension is fine - but nothing else. we can revisit love stuff if there's a 4th season, but i'm worn out from all that "my love" stuff.

• Love 6

Olivia Lovibond would have been an awesome Katrina - even with all the writing deficits we would have gotten layers.

That actually would have been worse though -- we'd still end up with a marginalized Abbie, and not the vociferous outcry for redress.

• Love 1
Respectfully disagree. I'd love for the witnesses to focus on their witnessing -w/ zero romance. unresolved sexual tension is fine - but nothing else. we can revisit love stuff if there's a 4th season, but i'm worn out from all that "my love" stuff.

I don't ship Ichabbie in a romantic sense, I won't throw a fit and rage quit if they go romantic but I'm perfectly fine with them never becoming romantic.  I like their current relationship, there's a great deal of respect and love between two friends who are in the trenches together.  Beyond that I'm more interested in Abbie's relationship with Jenny than I am with romantic Ichabbie. 

I'm perfectly fine with Mison's comments about Ichabod and Abbie in S3, it makes sense and takes the show back to what I loved about it in S1.  Two Partners/Witnesses working together to stop an Apocalypse and save the world.  Teaming up with Jenny, a soldier with massive knowledge of the occult including people and objects as well as mad fighting skills and, Irving a practical cop who can aid/protect the Witnesses and help them out in their fight (obviously not the case in S3).

When you think about it Sleepy Hollow is really following the X-Files formula with a few tweaks and, unlike many X-Files fans I didn't ship Mulder/Scully...loved their partnership but never needed or wanted them to get romantic.

Ichabod = Mulder

Abbie  = Scully

Irving = Skinner

Jenny = ??

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I loved Tom's comments in one interview about how he loves how badass Jenny is.  He loves watching Lyndie kicking ass.

I don't ship Ichabbie either.  If towards the end of the series their friendship develops into something more, okay.  However, right now I just love the dynamic of their friendship.

• Love 5

That's because Actions speak Louder than Words. He spouted sonnets, but they never seemed to have that physical connection. Compare that to how Ichabod simply LOOKS at Abbie. I know it's a combination of height (when he looks down at Abbie, his eyes look more...wanting) and the obviously chemistry. There was one scene last season early on, when they are in the Archives and Crane tells Abbie to go make amends with her sister. He's leaning on something, eyes downcast, then slowly looks up at Abbie. Damn, that was amazing. Just a look was all it took. Wow. He never had that with Katrina. Just meaningless words.

I don't ship Ichabbie either.  If towards the end of the series their friendship develops into something more, okay.  However, right now I just love the dynamic of their friendship.

I guess I in the minority in this, but I do ship them big time. Wholeheartedly. Love em to death. I just like them spending time together and wish we could see more downtime, like watching movies together or stuff. I just think they would make an amazing couple. I've always said, Abbie makes Ichabod a better man and I think that - with a few exceptions - Ichabod has been a positive influence in Abbie's life. For those who loved the "epic love" story of the Crane, what is more epic than a man that has travelled through time and is fated to be with you and who shares a unique - supernatural I think - bond to you. That is the true love story of SH.

• Love 6

I guess I in the minority in this, but I do ship them big time.

Thank you!  I was afraid to speak up and admit I ship them too.  It seems to me that there's a bit of a snob attitude toward shippers of any fictional couple, as if it's somehow more mature or sophisticated not to ship.  Admittedly--shipping can bring the cray-crays out of the woodwork and cause much eye-rolling and secondhand embarrassment when some fans act as if the world will come to an end if the couple in question doesn't eventually tumble into bed.  But love and romance are part of life.  What's wrong with rooting for a couple with the level of chemistry shown by Ichabod and Abbie to take the relationship to the next level at some point?

I'm not going to be shattered if it never happens.  I'd be fine with a close, platonic friendship where they spend lots of time together alternately fighting evil and enjoying their downtime together, but I am the daughter of a woman who would watch Gunsmoke and yell, "Kiss her, Matt!" at the TV screen every time Marshall Dillon and Miss Kitty were in a scene together.  The desire to see hot romance is in my blood so I would love it if Ichabod and Abbie ended up as a couple.

I want the show to be careful about it, of course, and have it happen in a natural way that doesn't feel rushed or like a ploy for higher ratings. 

• Love 7

What's wrong with rooting for a couple with the level of chemistry shown by Ichabod and Abbie to take the relationship to the next level at some point?

The desire to see hot romance is in my blood so I would love it if Ichabod and Abbie ended up as a couple.

I want the show to be careful about it, of course, and have it happen in a natural way that doesn't feel rushed or like a ploy for higher ratings.

I'd be fine with a close, platonic friendship

Come to the dark side of shipping with me, Sparkling Beth! Muhaha! I agree with your entire post but I just picked out a few lines. They already are so close, hang out together, so adding a bit more here and there, like a actual dinner together in a restaurant, or dancing or whatever inches them closer to coupledom. But as you said, as long as it's not done for ratings, but because it makes sense. (It makes sense, writers!)

It would be a shame to waste that chemistry and connection the two have.

I get a kick out of people using the term "platonic" love now, because someone else on another board pointed out she would love to see Ichabbie platonically, because most people don't know what the term originally meant. So I looked it up and was like, Hell Ya! Platonic Love all of the way!!

Why?

"The original intent of platonic love comes from "Socrates, in Plato's "Symposium", explained two types of love or Eros—Vulgar Eros or earthly love and Divine Eros or divine love. Vulgar Eros is nothing but mere material attraction towards a beautiful body for physical pleasure and reproduction. Divine Eros begins the journey from physical attraction i.e. attraction towards beautiful form or body but transcends gradually to love for Supreme Beauty. This concept of Divine Eros is later transformed into the term Platonic love."

I got a kick out of that. So yeah, bring on the "Platonic love" please. *grin*

• Love 3

It seems cruel for the network to drag out a renewal announcement. I wonder if they at least inform the actors so they can pursue other opportunites? Tom and Nicole would pretty much be in limbo for two months as far as accepting potential new projects. It would suck --or them at least-- if they score great new movie roles then had to pull out because they got called back to film more Sleepy Hollow.

I'm still wondering why Tom and Nicole weren't sent out on any joint interviews to promote the finale or the season in general. They could have done a satellite radio junket where they conduct interviews with radio stations across the country. Hearing their rapport together could have really sold the show to potential viewers.

• Love 1

I guess I in the minority in this, but I do ship them big time. 

Is there a term for someone who doesn't want to ship two characters, but simply. cannot. resist.? Reluctant Shipper? Conflicted Shipper? Antishipper (as in antihero)?  Whatever; I'm it. I don't want to ship Crane and Abbie, but those two crazy kids make it pretty damn hard for me not to.  Problem is, I can't think of any examples in which ship fulfillment didn't cause serious issues in a show, hence I deny myself the pleasure of consciously shipping Ichabbie. Crap, I just typed "Ichabbie". Can't take it back now; damn.

On the topic of renewal, do any of you media-savvy types have an inkling or wise guess as to whether TBTB at Fox will wait until Upfronts to announce a renewal? Any gut feeling or inside scoop as to whether they'll stretch this decision out until May or throw us a bone earlier?

Edited because it's impossible for me get it right the first time.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 3

Is there a term for someone who doesn't want to ship two characters, but simply. cannot. resist.? Reluctant Shipper? Conflicted Shipper? Antishipper (as in antihero)?  Whatever; I'm it. I don't want to ship Crane and Abbie, but those two crazy kids make it pretty damn hard for me not to.  Problem is, I can't think of any examples in which ship fulfillment didn't cause serious issues in a show, hence I deny myself the pleasure of consciously shipping Ichabbie. Crap, I just typed "Ichabbie". Can't take it back now; damn.

Oh, boy! this is totally where I am as well. I love the two of them together and feel they need to be together but know that the Show would die if they do get together romantically. I do love the "chemistry" between them but don't want to see the Show focus on their relationship. I want to see them fighting malevolent hell-spawn together and plotting and working to defeat a worthy evil adversary through several seasons--Beelzebub might be next up in the hierarchy, I suppose. I don't want to see a Rom-Com with MOTW episodes.

Keep them apart romantically until the final season then bring them together. For now--just the chemistry as partners will be fine.

• Love 4

I was just going to post this exact same thing.  It's so true.

I'll miss Jon.

I will miss Jon too!

As for shipping Ichabbie, I actually used to ship them hard during season 1. It is just that I lost a lot of respect for Ichabod during season and don't think he was/is worthy of Abbie yet. Maybe next season he can be the Ichabod I loved from season 1 and I won't mind them getting together soo much. JMO

• Love 5

On the topic of renewal, do any of you media-savvy types have an inkling or wise guess as to whether TBTB at Fox will wait until Upfronts to announce a renewal? Any gut feeling or inside scoop as to whether they'll stretch this decision out until May or throw us a bone earlier?

I don't think we'll get an announcement until May. The first step is to see how The Following does when it comes back on Monday. If it's doing about as well as SH did, then it'll come down to cost. SH is owned by Fox. The Following is Warner Bros and I imagine Kevin Bacon doesn't come cheap. I still believe TF will probably end this year and SH will come back. They'd have to have a really strong group of pilots to try and replace both shows. They've got a couple genre shows in the works right now. For its season finale last year, TF got a 1.5 and was pretty much steady with that for the last part of the season. If TF does the same numbers as SH did in that time slot, they'll keep the cheaper show that is also from their studio. 

• Love 1

Reading the news about Minority Report and seeing that Fox is casting another Black actress (Meagan Goode) in the lead role just makes me furious and distrustful of the network. I'm happy for Meagan and more diversity in primetime is definitely a step in the right direction, but Fox bungled SH and screwed an entire cast of minority actors for NO reason other than they didn't respect their fanbase and thought our advertising dollars weren't good enough. Why should I give them another chance if they cancel SH? 

• Love 1

I want to see them fighting malevolent hell-spawn together and plotting and working to defeat a worthy evil adversary through several seasons--Beelzebub might be next up in the hierarchy, I suppose. I don't want to see a Rom-Com with MOTW episodes.

Keep them apart romantically until the final season then bring them together. For now--just the chemistry as partners will be fine.

Yes, I could definitely live with this scenario. . . but I'd want the UST cooking on a low simmer throughout. ;-)

I don't think we'll get an announcement until May. The first step is to see how The Following does when it comes back on Monday. If it's doing about as well as SH did, then it'll come down to cost. SH is owned by Fox. The Following is Warner Bros and I imagine Kevin Bacon doesn't come cheap. I still believe TF will probably end this year and SH will come back. They'd have to have a really strong group of pilots to try and replace both shows. They've got a couple genre shows in the works right now. For its season finale last year, TF got a 1.5 and was pretty much steady with that for the last part of the season. If TF does the same numbers as SH did in that time slot, they'll keep the cheaper show that is also from their studio. 

Thank you so much for this answer. Gives me something a little more "scientific" to hang onto 'til we get the news.

• Love 1

Problem is, I can't think of any examples in which ship fulfillment didn't cause serious issues in a show, hence I deny myself the pleasure of consciously shipping Ichabbie.

Brooklyn 99 is so well written that most of its viewers have faith that the Jake and Amy ship will be done right. Buffy had 2 "ship fulfillments" -- whether either or both caused serious issues is up for debate. Castle and Beckett seems to have mostly gotten over the ship issues.  I think it can be done; it's just a bit harder than most writers want to work.

• Love 3

Brooklyn 99 is so well written that most of its viewers have faith that the Jake and Amy ship will be done right. Buffy had 2 "ship fulfillments" -- whether either or both caused serious issues is up for debate. Castle and Beckett seems to have mostly gotten over the ship issues.  I think it can be done; it's just a bit harder than most writers want to work.

Ben and Leslie Knope, Peter and Olivia on Fringe were both good IMO. 

• Love 3

Posting my response in the Relationship thread. :-)

You know, I really, really want Sleepy Hollow renewed. Not just because I love my show and the four core characters....

But because I want those idiot racists to NOT WIN.

They are out there with their #CancelSleepyHollow hashtag, all butt hurt because the mathematical fraction between "white" / "black" characters means more decimals than whole numbers.

Don't let them win. #RenewSleepyHollow is the hashtag that needs to have some love. Because I don't want these people to win. They simply cannot win. There had to be some justice in life. *lesigh*

• Love 6

Thank you!  I was afraid to speak up and admit I ship them too.  It seems to me that there's a bit of a snob attitude toward shippers of any fictional couple, as if it's somehow more mature or sophisticated not to ship.  Admittedly--shipping can bring the cray-crays out of the woodwork and cause much eye-rolling and secondhand embarrassment when some fans act as if the world will come to an end if the couple in question doesn't eventually tumble into bed.  But love and romance are part of life.  What's wrong with rooting for a couple with the level of chemistry shown by Ichabod and Abbie to take the relationship to the next level at some point?

I'm not going to be shattered if it never happens.  I'd be fine with a close, platonic friendship where they spend lots of time together alternately fighting evil and enjoying their downtime together, but I am the daughter of a woman who would watch Gunsmoke and yell, "Kiss her, Matt!" at the TV screen every time Marshall Dillon and Miss Kitty were in a scene together.  The desire to see hot romance is in my blood so I would love it if Ichabod and Abbie ended up as a couple.

I hope I didn't imply that I think shipping is crazy.  Not at all. I just don't want to hear any more love/relationship discussions next season, if at all possible. I think unresolved sexual tension can be very sexy, btw. Remember in the first season when they were topless on the table w/ the scorpions - that was hot!! But, I'm weary from all the relationship talk this season, not because I'm mature - probably the opposite. :D  I just really want to get back to the humorous and adventurous moments. But, I'm fine with a few scenes that trigger sexy time thoughts, too.

• Love 2

After seeing that video, I guess we need to watch from the Fox site and on Hulu to signal Fox that we want the show to be renewed.

OK then starting a rewatch on Hulu. But I WILL find it hard to rewatch most of season two.

Two things I'd like to mention. First, shipping. While it's hard not to want to see romantic involvement with certain couples, I think it could be risky for a plot that calls for two people to trust each implicitly all the time because they are the designated witnesses to a possible pending apocalypse.

As for the audience size, networks are now learning that their reliance on Nielson overnights is not the be-all and end-all that it used to be. A recent article I read noted that the younger audience has abandoned the classic TV-watching model, so the numbers don't reflect the full audience participation. If anything, the numbers reflect the older audience. Some sites have laughed at Fox for touting the 3+ and 7+ audience numbers from Hulu, etc., but that's probably more indicative of actual audience than overnights alone. And if that's the case, SH has quite a decent share of the audience.

TBH, I fully expect a 3rd season. If it doesn't happen, then I don't think it will be audience size that kills the show. It'll be producer-driven lack of interest and fear of salvaging their reputation over this season's issues.

Edited by Monkshood

As for the audience size, networks are now learning that their reliance on Nielson overnights is not the be-all and end-all that it used to be. A recent article I read noted that the younger audience has abandoned the classic TV-watching model, so the numbers don't reflect the full audience participation. If anything, the numbers reflect the older audience.

I think it's more of a phenomenon with the younger audience but I'm late middle-aged and i know very few people who watch television live beyond "event TV" exceptions. I'm one of the few people in my circle that still does and that is becoming less true as time goes on. That aside, if the younger audience is the one that is (still) considered the desirable demographic, ratings should reflect how they watch.

Edited by yuggapukka

I think it's more of a phenomenon with the younger audience but I'm late middle-aged and i know very few people who watch television live beyond "event TV" exceptions. I'm one of the few people in my circle that still does and that is becoming less true as time goes on. That aside, if the younger audience is the one that is (still) considered the desirable demographic, ratings should reflect how they watch.

Exactly. Both of my children are in the 'coveted' demographic but almost never watch live. Both have Netflix and On Demand and may watch several episodes at a time. My son & his wife have 2 TV's; my daughter, her husband and 3 children have 6 TVs

Edited by DJG1122

Man Tom Mison is the gift that keeps on giving:

“I certainly thought it was bold. I didn’t really see it coming,” Tom Mison (Ichabod) shared. “I had spoken to our producers a while ago, the idea of killing Katrina came up. I was shocked, and thought it was an excellent idea; I certainly didn’t see it coming.”

and

At the end of the finale, you see him, effectively, with his new family: Abbie, Jenny, and Irving,” Mison said. “They’re really the only things he has in his life now. Everything is gone now. When he came out of the grave in the pilot, pretty early on, he knows that although his wife is purgatory, there is still that connection. Now he has nothing. Except for this new family. I think that will also be a fun thing to explore.”

whole thing:   http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2015/02/23/sleepy-hollow-season-2-post-mortem-tom-mison-weighs-in/

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3

I just put on Tempus Fugit on Hulu and Demand, to add to the numbers. Always glad to do my part.

Check out the poll at http://www.eonline.com/news/629545/2015-tv-s-top-couple-tournament-vote-in-round-1-now -- Ichie and Abbie are beating Maggie and Glenn from The Walking Dead, but not by muich.

Sleepy Hollow:Who’s tough enough to take down Headless? | Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison |

I don't really consider Abbie/Ichabod a couple, but I voted for them anyway to show interest and support for Sleepy Hollow. I do love me some Glenn/Maggie though.

Barry/Iris from the Flash are on there as well. Oddly, so are Barry/Caitlin even though Caitlin has been paired with someone else and neither Barry nor Caitlin has expressed interest in the other. Also, Barry is currently dating Linda Park (which will likely be temporary), but has told Iris that he loves her. I could understand Barry/Linda being in the poll, but it's Barry/Caitlin instead. I just hope that the Barry/Caitlin shipping doesn't inspire TPTB to pull a Sleepy Hollow and sideline another black female lead in favor of a supporting character, especially since Iris is the first black female I've ever seen starring in a romantic endgame OTP, except for the incredibly dysfunctional and disrespectful relationship of Fitz/Olivia.

Edited by cynic

Not to get too far afield, but I don't think Barry/Iris OR Barry/Caitlin particularly have any chemistry. He had better chemistry with Felicity. (But who doesn't, I guess.) They made the Barry/Iris thing a bit squicky with the step-sibling dynamic. 

• Love 2

I just checked, #CancelSleepyHollow is a dead tag. No one appears to have used the tag in 3 days. At least that's what I'm seeing on my iPad. On the other hand #RenewSleepyHollow is breezing along nicely and the petition is almost up to 3,000 signatures. 34 is all we need. If you haven't, please sign now.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/renew-sleepy-hollow/

This is what breaks my heart (besides my show possibly not being renewed). The fact that this season was a bust, and so much *bad* happened to the point of questionable renewal. What breaks my heart is that those Katrina-stans have a chance of winning. I realize for FOX it's a business decision. I get that. But the thought that *those* people could win....*sigh*....truly it breaks my heart. There is a lot of misery and injustice in the world. I know it's just a TV show, but renewal would be a nice little "fuck you" to those whose opinions are toxic and just plain disgusting.

• Love 2

Katrina is dead. Ichabod gutted her like a fish. Ichatrina fans can't possibly win with half their ship incinerated. Even if SH isn't renewed, Ichabbie was still end game. Oh sure, they're hoping for cancellation out of spite, but that won't bring Katrina back or take away from the fact that Ichabod chose Abbie in the end. Plus, Sleepy Hollow will be renewed. Like Ichabod, I have FAITH. :)

• Love 8

I hope there's a third season because if Awakening was the last episode Goffman & company still sort of got their way. Katrina was still the central figure in the episode's action. Instead of dying like a true villain Katrina got a Poignant Moment of Humanity. The so-called "epic" Ichabbie hug was stoic and one-sided so as not to overshadow Ichabod's emotional embrace of Dying Katrina. Ichabbie's relationship ended on a decidedly business-only note. Without a third season we'll never know the true extent of their feelings for each other.

I hope there's a third season because if Awakening was the last episode Goffman & company still sort of got their way. Katrina was still the central figure in the episode's action. Instead of dying like a true villain Katrina got a Poignant Moment of Humanity.

I felt no poignancy with Katrina dying - perhaps it was way beneath the surface of my cackle. I would have been majorly peeved if she had a death scene worthy of a true villain - she never was a big bad.

• Love 2
(edited)

I felt no poignancy with Katrina dying - perhaps it was way beneath the surface of my cackle. I would have been majorly peeved if she had a death scene worthy of a true villain - she never was a big bad.

I didn't feel sadness either watching the scene but it was certainly intended to be viewed that way. Katrina was given a Protagonist's death. She was held. wept over, had a moment of seeming regret, saw a vision of a dead Jeremy and presumably gets to be reunited with him. All the time I was thinking, just die already and go off the hell or wherever but no way was Goffman going to let his baby go out the way she actually deserved to based on the actions of her character.

We were already robbed of a another Villain's Death with Katrina weeping over Henry.

The SH writer's just don't know how to do "evil" properly.

Edited by savinggrace
  • Love 3

I would have liked to seen her and Jeremy dragged to Hell where they belonged, but not big emotional farewell.  I'm just glad she's gone!

• Love 6

I didn't feel sadness either watching the scene but it was certainly intended to be viewed that way. Katrina was given a Protagonist's death. She was held. wept over, had a moment of seeming regret, saw a vision of a dead Jeremy and presumably gets to be reunited with him. All the time I was thinking, just die already and go off the hell or wherever but no way was Goffman going to let his baby go out the way she actually deserved to based on the actions of her character.

This is TV-most anytime a regular character is killed off, there is an emotionally (supposedly) moving death scene. I compromised with Goffman. I accepted any emotionally moving scene he wanted to give us as long as she was killed off. The end justified the means.

• Love 8
(edited)

Nicole posted on Instagram that she wasn't invited to do the DVD commmentary. Would it be unusual to not have the show's co-lead on the commentary? I've never bought a TV show on DVD. I'm sure they get paid extra for commentary so that's income opportunity lost.

Does anyone have the Season 1 DVD? I'm curious who was on the commentary.

Edited by savinggrace
  • Love 1