Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Geronimo

This episode was just treading water. Nothing really happened, and the little that did was telegraphed from miles away.

Snyder is a big weak link for me. It's one thing to be a bootlicker, but a person in his position, where every and anyone might seek to undermine you, has to have a large amount of political savvy in order to stay in power. He's a total buffoon and everyone we have met is smarter than he is. 

(Except maybe Bram.)

I enjoyed the episode. I like the opening sequence with the kids getting the posters through the pipes. Will is pretty effective at his job.

I didn't like the trial of the fake Geronimo. Snyder came off as a wimp tonight. I don't believe that resident of LA take him seriously as a mayor. Its surprising that there are no red hats doing patrols on the other side of the wall. Bram & his girlfriend can raid the warehouse of supplies without anyone around is hard to believe. I would like to see more of Helena & the Governor General. It looks like the resistance is planning an attack. I will keep watching.

• Love 3

The science teacher doesn't know that large mirrors for reflecting telescopes are much easier to grind than lenses? We've only known this since Isaac Newton. I guess the seventeenth century is too trendy for this show. 

Pia finds coffee, which is to say money, and gets horny. She's sufficiently characterized now, I suppose. 

Bram hasn't thought about what the empty streets might mean about his brother Charlie? 

The resistance has no interest in fighting their alien overlords, so for me it's getting very, very hard to root for them. They're just faction fighters in a situation where factionalism promises to be fatal. If the show is going to be about the resistance overthrowing the invaders we want to see them fighting the invaders. 

• Love 5

When they were talking about not ever seeing anyone outside the wall, I thought "that doesn't mean they aren't there." Maybe there's a band of savvy, super interesting people living out there?  So far, the area outside the wall is the most interesting part for me.

I was also wondering why these are called colonies. Usually colonies are inhabited by the colonizing force, not the people who were there before. Those folks are usually killed, enslaved or just shuffled off to somewhere else.

I need to get to a point where I can let these kinds of questions go.  If only something interesting, weird, or exciting would happen, my mind would drop these questions. I'm still hopeful!

• Love 1

Early on in the episode Snyder told Sawyer that it was almost impossible to move someone from one Bloc to another, then Sawyer accused him of moving the goalposts, so when Snyder made the fallguy deal to Fake Geronimo, I knew FG was screwed.  There was no way he was going to keep his end of the deal and let FG live.

The resistance has no interest in fighting their alien overlords, so for me it's getting very, very hard to root for them. They're just faction fighters in a situation where factionalism promises to be fatal. If the show is going to be about the resistance overthrowing the invaders we want to see them fighting the invaders. 

There is no one in the resistance who is likeable, compassionate, or truly competent.  Just a bunch of unpleasant personalities who are causing more harm to the regular citizens than help.  I appreciate that they're showing resistance movements as messy and sometimes nasty (as that's the reality, Hunger Games covered this theme too) but there ought to be someone involved who is more sympathetic.  I did like the female Real Geronimo's spirit and I could get on board with them more than the cells who are bombing people. 

I was virtually cheering when Saywer started to carefully question Fucking Lori and investigate her for signs she was involved in the resistance. I'm almost tempted to side with the collaborators.  I'm glad they finally humanized McMahon, like Phyllis, she has a story that makes sense for her to be a collaborator and I'm starting to like her too.

• Love 6

Likeability, compassion and competence in the resistance would be nice, but at this point I'm getting desperate for an unlikeable, ruthless and incompetent reisistance leader who wants to fight aliens rather than humans. Any sane endgame involves the security forces turning on the aliens. This resistance acts like they weren't conquered, they were just sneakily taken over by evil people.

It just occurs to me that they may be copying Revolution, playing with notions about how the government is plotting against "us" and setting up a dictatorship, because, foreigners. I guess the show thought they'd better be in red hats rather than blue berets, or it would be too on the nose for deniability?

I know.  We know virtually nothing about the visitors: they're technologially advanced, not friendly, have a strange sense of time, operate by proxies, and might be avian in nature.  That's about it.  Nothing about their motives, what they really want, or even what they claim to want on the surface.  They corralled humans into ghettos and they're...doing what?  Occasionally shooting giant laser beams up into/down from the sky (beaming stuff up)?  Why are the collaborators so eager to collaborate, other than fear of getting annhilated?  They seem to think the aliens are going to be helpful in some way that hasn't been disclosed.  Dunno.  We don't even know what happens at the factory other than people are stripped, get bathed and irradiated, put on scrubs, and go somewhere.  A wee bit more information would be appreciated.

• Love 5

Early on in the episode Snyder told Sawyer that it was almost impossible to move someone from one Bloc to another, then Sawyer accused him of moving the goalposts, so when Snyder made the fallguy deal to Fake Geronimo, I knew FG was screwed.  There was no way he was going to keep his end of the deal and let FG live.

While I thought it was incredibly obvious what was going to happen to FG and he really should have known too, I do think that moving Will's son isn't as difficult as Snyder was making sound. I think he just wants Will under his control for as long as possible. I really hope they show more of the outside world and explain why they are just living out there.

• Love 3

As others have pointed out, still lots of questions unanswered. I'm curious how it was apparently pretty easy to get so many people to collaborate with the "aliens" and torture and kill their fellow citizens.

Who came up with the bird symbol and the red, black and white banners, etc.?

Why is all that stuff sitting in those warehouses apparently unguarded?

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode. I like the opening sequence with the kids getting the posters through the pipes. Will is pretty effective at his job.

I didn't like the trial of the fake Geronimo. Snyder came off as a wimp tonight. I don't believe that resident of LA take him seriously as a mayor. Its surprising that there are no red hats doing patrols on the other side of the wall. Bram & his girlfriend can raid the warehouse of supplies without anyone around is hard to believe. I would like to see more of Helena & the Governor General. It looks like the resistance is planning an attack. I will keep watching.

Clearly you haven't heard of Chaim Rumkowski   He was the head of Lodz Ghetto and I suspect is part of where the inspiration for Snyder comes from.Snyder hasn't gotten around to printing scrip with his picture on it but I'm sure he would if he gets the chance. Besides they don't really need to respect Snyder they just have to afraid of the Raps. I suspect however Will or Katie is going to kill him next episode when they realize he doesn't know where Charlie is.

As for why more people aren't living on the other side of the fence there are probably a couple of reasons for it. For one a lot people probably don't realize that the sewers are still accessible or would know who to navigate them if they did. Plus for all anyone knows that's where the drones are coming from or there are swarms of guards there. As in Hunger Games fear of the unknown will keep people as much as fence. That's why its realistic that the only ones going across are teenagers they tend to be less risk averse than grown-ups.

Plus the Raps and Homeland would probably firebomb the hell out the place without blinking if they did find someone over there. I suspect though we may see people living there as the show goes on. Its a natural progression of the show eventually it has to move beyond just the LA colony. At least if this resistance is going to come to anything it does.

Something that I like about this show is that they are showing both sides of the resistance and aren't really lionizing on particular side. They are also careful to show the cost of this type of warfare and the effect it has on people. Even BSG expected you to side with the resistance. 

• Love 3

While I thought it was incredibly obvious what was going to happen to FG and he really should have known too, I do think that moving Will's son isn't as difficult as Snyder was making sound. I think he just wants Will under his control for as long as possible. 

I agree. Whether it was Sawyer or Fake Geronimo, he was lying to one of them and he doesn't give a second thought to unilaterally changing the terms of a deal.  FG was totally hosed.  Access to Charlie is a pretty big carrot, big enough that husband and wife are secretly operating against each other in the hope that their respective organizations can get him to them.  Snyder and the resistance leaders are going to milk that for all it's worth.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

Oh, this show.

Snyder is a complete idiot and not thinking long term. I get ruling by fear and dangling carrots. But, as Sawyer said, you can't change the goalposts, and unsaid, without seriously pissing off and losing the "trust" of your underlings. Especially when it appears that you're really mid-management in the grand scheme of things and you break your promises in front of other Red Hats. That does not build morale.

Not-Geronimo agreed to to be a patsy so quickly, that I thought he knew Snyder was full of ish, knew the trial would be televised, and planned to say or do something huge on television. Otherwise, taking the deal seemed moronic. Then, when he found out that the deal was BS, I couldn't understand why he seemed so shocked. However, when they decided to hang him, I realized Not-Geronimo really was screwed any way he went. This was probably the best option, seeing as he had a very quick, clean death. Had he refused to play the patsy, it could have been a heck of a lot worse. 

La Resistance is a mess. I don't understand why Fucking Lori (I love this name, by the way) is participating in raids. Given her high level of intel, she should be a protected asset. As in, a very limited number of people should even know she's part of the group, namely, Broussard and Cranky Leader, only. What would happen if she got busted or killed on a raid? What would happen one of the group got captured and ratted her out? She's, arguably, your best source of intel.

As usual, characters other than the leads are more interesting. I want to know more about Snyder's counterpart and the other people in that building (courthouse?). How/Why did these people end up in high level positions? Also, even though Phyllis had more access to the Visitors than most, I was under the impression that she hadn't actually seen them either. How do you conquer a city (or state, or country, or world) without anyone having any idea what you look like? I get that the masses wouldn't know, but no one in government or Homeland has even given a throwaway line, like they were covered in armor. Are they humanoid and hiding among us? Do you need special glasses to see them?

These are just my bigger issues. I haven't even gotten to the teenage scavenger hunt. This whole episode seemed like a series of everyone passing the Idiot Ball to each other.

To end on a positive note, I think the overall pacing of the show is decent. The writing is another story. (Guess I couldn't end on a positive note).

• Love 4

Not-Geronimo agreed to to be a patsy so quickly, that I thought he knew Snyder was full of ish, knew the trial would be televised, and planned to say or do something huge on television. Otherwise, taking the deal seemed moronic. 

Exactly what I thought!

• Love 1

Oh, this show.

Snyder is a complete idiot and not thinking long term. I get ruling by fear and dangling carrots. But, as Sawyer said, you can't change the goalposts, and unsaid, without seriously pissing off and losing the "trust" of your underlings. Especially when it appears that you're really mid-management in the grand scheme of things and you break your promises in front of other Red Hats. That does not build morale.

Not-Geronimo agreed to to be a patsy so quickly, that I thought he knew Snyder was full of ish, knew the trial would be televised, and planned to say or do something huge on television. Otherwise, taking the deal seemed moronic. Then, when he found out that the deal was BS, I couldn't understand why he seemed so shocked. However, when they decided to hang him, I realized Not-Geronimo really was screwed any way he went. This was probably the best option, seeing as he had a very quick, clean death. Had he refused to play the patsy, it could have been a heck of a lot worse. 

La Resistance is a mess. I don't understand why Fucking Lori (I love this name, by the way) is participating in raids. Given her high level of intel, she should be a protected asset. As in, a very limited number of people should even know she's part of the group, namely, Broussard and Cranky Leader, only. What would happen if she got busted or killed on a raid? What would happen one of the group got captured and ratted her out? She's, arguably, your best source of intel.

As usual, characters other than the leads are more interesting. I want to know more about Snyder's counterpart and the other people in that building (courthouse?). How/Why did these people end up in high level positions? Also, even though Phyllis had more access to the Visitors than most, I was under the impression that she hadn't actually seen them either. How do you conquer a city (or state, or country, or world) without anyone having any idea what you look like? I get that the masses wouldn't know, but no one in government or Homeland has even given a throwaway line, like they were covered in armor. Are they humanoid and hiding among us? Do you need special glasses to see them?

These are just my bigger issues. I haven't even gotten to the teenage scavenger hunt. This whole episode seemed like a series of everyone passing the Idiot Ball to each other.

To end on a positive note, I think the overall pacing of the show is decent. The writing is another story. (Guess I couldn't end on a positive note).

Very good points. Sooner or later, someone is going to try & assassinate Snyder if he keeps double crossing people.

It's too bad that Bram doesn't trust his dad. He could have told Will that there was no one in Santa Monica.

I agree that Katie should not participate in raids.

It's very strange that the Visitors were able to convince so many people to become Collaborators that quickly.

I wonder if the Visitors had brainwashed some people in government before they invaded to collaborate.

I think we have to see the aliens before the season finale.

It's very strange that the Visitors were able to convince so many people to become Collaborators that quickly.

Not really.  People don't really understand how steep a price they will pay for safety.  Plus my guess is that a lot of these Collaborators had a sudden change is circumstance.  The Redhats? (Thats what the police force is called right?  Look like a band of thugs.  And I am guessing a lot of them actually were thugs before.   It wouldn't surprise me if some of them were gangland thugs who are now living in the lap of luxury.     

Snyder is a complete idiot and not thinking long term. I get ruling by fear and dangling carrots. But, as Sawyer said, you can't change the goalposts, and unsaid, without seriously pissing off and losing the "trust" of your underlings.

I got the feeling from the conversation that Snyder has no idea where the kid is or can't get him and is shining Sawyer on at this point.  He needs Sawyer and found a way to get Sawyer to work for him but once Sawyer realizes there is no way to get his kid back there will be a problem.

I actually like that the Resistance is a mess.  It makes it more realistic that way.  If the resistance needed to a mess for the story to be engaging at this point.  I get that people need likeable characters and there really aren't any at this point but I kinda dig that about the show.  I don't really need character to bee "likable"  just human and so far most of them are.  I like that the resistance is just trying to survive and doing stupid ass and dangerous thing to survive,  I kinda dig that we are watching a world that no one really trust each other not even a husband and wife that loves each other and are out of necessity fighting on different sides of a war.  

• Love 2

Clearly you haven't heard of Chaim Rumkowski   He was the head of Lodz Ghetto and I suspect is part of where the inspiration for Snyder comes from.Snyder hasn't gotten around to printing scrip with his picture on it but I'm sure he would if he gets the chance. Besides they don't really need to respect Snyder they just have to afraid of the Raps. I suspect however Will or Katie is going to kill him next episode when they realize he doesn't know where Charlie is.

As for why more people aren't living on the other side of the fence there are probably a couple of reasons for it. For one a lot people probably don't realize that the sewers are still accessible or would know who to navigate them if they did. Plus for all anyone knows that's where the drones are coming from or there are swarms of guards there. As in Hunger Games fear of the unknown will keep people as much as fence. That's why its realistic that the only ones going across are teenagers they tend to be less risk averse than grown-ups.

Plus the Raps and Homeland would probably firebomb the hell out the place without blinking if they did find someone over there. I suspect though we may see people living there as the show goes on. Its a natural progression of the show eventually it has to move beyond just the LA colony. At least if this resistance is going to come to anything it does.

Something that I like about this show is that they are showing both sides of the resistance and aren't really lionizing on particular side. They are also careful to show the cost of this type of warfare and the effect it has on people. Even BSG expected you to side with the resistance. 

Thanks for the information. What job did Snyder have before the arrival?

I do like that the show doesn't paint the resistance as angels. Furthermore, Phyllis was sympathetic to Will by telling him about his son's tapes.

• Love 1

I liked this episode. I don't think it unreasonable that we don't know who Geronimo is (if he/she actually, exists). The graphic artists made up the concept. It could be a metaphor that the resistance let bubble up to keep the focus off of them and let the red hats go searching after a "ghost". Personally, I think Charlie is dead, and that will be the kicker. After seeing what is over the wall, there is nothing there. I get a kick over the fact that we are calling Will, Sawyer (it just works). But, even though Kate is really a "Lori", I will continue to call her Kate for the obvious Sawyer/Kate reference. (Walking Dead and Lost reference for those who don't know what the hell I am talking about).  Hee

Oh and BTW Kate is a stupid idiot, so that goes along with the Lori comparisons. Kate gives herself away with the big moon eyes and scared trembling. I am not even sure how or why she got involved in the resistance. I would like to know more about the backstory, that might actually help the viewers. 

• Love 1
Personally, I think Charlie is dead, and that will be the kicker.
I've been considering this, as well.  I don't see that this is all leading up to some kind of happy reunion.  

I am not even sure how or why she got involved in the resistance. I would like to know more about the backstory, that might actually help the viewers.
I made up a backstory that it all started with Katie and Broussard having some kind of romantic dalliance.  It was the only reason I could think of that she didn't tell her husband about becoming involved with the Resistance from the start.  She felt guilty about cheating in one way or another.  
  • Love 3

What job did Snyder have before the arrival?

I don't think it was ever established what he did prior, but I'm guessing he was either someone's assistant or a middle management nobody who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

The graphic artists made up the concept. It could be a metaphor that the resistance let bubble up to keep the focus off of them and let the red hats go searching after a "ghost".

The radio guy was broadcasting some pretty specific information and they never really explained where that was coming from, so there is still a lot about the network we don't know.

Personally, I think Charlie is dead, and that will be the kicker.

that Snyder has no idea where he is.

I think there are 3 scenarios regarding Charlie: 1. he is dead 2. Snyder doesn't know where he is and couldn't help him even if he did. 3. Snyder knows exactly where he is and could get him with one phone call, but won't because he will no longer have Will under his thumb.

• Love 3

C'mon Show. Ratchet it up a dollop❗

...How are the non-Host(s) administrators chosen?

What is the highest administrative position held by a non-Host(s) in this society?

WHO holds that position?

Are we going to discover the differing roots of each of these administrators' collaboration? Their varying shades of 'villainy' ?

Wow, Snyder.

Rank double-crossing.

Or, is his sanity questionable(?). Does he have command of his senses ? Possession of a full complement of wits?

Frankly, he seems a fell fellow in actual deed.

Feckin' Lori !

( Ah, alright, alright. Feckin' KATIE ! )

Does she do ANYthing other than wander about in relentless wide-eyed stupid-assed wonder(?).

Hmm, well, she DOES perform 'shivving your husband in the back' acts as she languorously pedals her bicycle.

What the _ _ _ is The Factory?!

Are we going to get a gander of the 'Raps' during the current season?

I wanna know about the lay of the land and The People beyond The Wall.

...Cuppa coffee anyone?...

__

Edited by BookElitist
  • Love 2

Likeability, compassion and competence in the resistance would be nice, but at this point I'm getting desperate for an unlikeable, ruthless and incompetent reisistance leader who wants to fight aliens rather than humans. Any sane endgame involves the security forces turning on the aliens. This resistance acts like they weren't conquered, they were just sneakily taken over by evil people.

This is my problem with the resistance. If they showed they had any kind of a plan to attack the aliens (along with the ground battles) that would be one thing, but just killing your own people - and not caring at all about the collateral damage - is something else.

As others have pointed out, still lots of questions unanswered. I'm curious how it was apparently pretty easy to get so many people to collaborate with the "aliens" and torture and kill their fellow citizens.

IIRC the "aliens" conquered the earth (or at least LA) in 8 hours. That would be enough to take the wind out of anyone's sails. As for collaboration - there are many reasons, survival is one of them. But even history (and current events) have shown that the brutally inclined love joining up with the "establishment." They get to go after their bliss and get paid for it.

Kate going out on raids is just ridiculous. The first one almost made sense - being actively involved in a raid that killed Red Hats gave them something solid to hold over her. But she's such a valuable asset, and so terrible at it, that it makes no sense for her to be anything other than a source, and someone with a place to stash fugitives/contraband.

Collaborator Babysitter/Tutor was a good source of intel for Sawyer. I liked how she technically did not rat out Kate, but made a point of noting the request to go to the park was earlier than usual.

I also liked getting a peek into the larger bureaucracy. I figure we'll see Ally Walker (that was her, right?) soon, maybe even next week. Then we'll learn more. Her distaste for and dismissiveness toward Snyder was enjoyable.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

Who came up with the bird symbol and the red, black and white banners, etc.?

Why is all that stuff sitting in those warehouses apparently unguarded?

Edited:

I don't think it was ever established what he did prior, but I'm guessing he was either someone's assistant or a middle management nobody who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I think there are 3 scenarios regarding Charlie: 1. he is dead 2. Snyder doesn't know where he is and couldn't help him even if he did. 3. Snyder knows exactly where he is and could get him with one phone call, but won't because he will no longer have Will under his thumb.

I don't think it's been explicitly stated what Snyder did before The Occupation. However, based on his method of politicking, as well as the way that he presided over Not-Geronimo's trial, I suspect he has some type of background in law and/or politics. But, still, mid-management.

Also, given the design of the propaganda posters, I wonder if each bloc has their own, unique posters. I think we've seen some with Snyder's face on them. If this is the case, did Snyder come up with the poster design on his own, with it being more effective because he already has experience in "campaigning?" Did he give orders to some else to come up with the posters? Or did the Visitors mandate the design and he had no say so in the matter?

I like these Charlie scenarios. I'm leaning towards #2. Snyder has no real power outside of his own bloc. 

I don't think Snyder changed the goal posts at all.  As far as he is concerned, the deal was for Will to capture the leader of the resistance, whom they thought was Geronimo.  Will captured Geronimo, yes, but it was discovered that Geronimo was not the leader of the resistance. 

• Love 1

Edited:

I don't think it's been explicitly stated what Snyder did before The Occupation. However, based on his method of politicking, as well as the way that he presided over Not-Geronimo's trial, I suspect he has some type of background in law and/or politics. But, still, mid-management.

Also, given the design of the propaganda posters, I wonder if each bloc has their own, unique posters. I think we've seen some with Snyder's face on them. If this is the case, did Snyder come up with the poster design on his own, with it being more effective because he already has experience in "campaigning?" Did he give orders to some else to come up with the posters? Or did the Visitors mandate the design and he had no say so in the matter?

I like these Charlie scenarios. I'm leaning towards #2. Snyder has no real power outside of his own bloc. 

Considering this is set in LA I wonder if Snyder wasn't an agent or a producer. Maybe a corporate lawyer?

• Love 1
Can't believe Fake-Geronimo didn't see that coming.

Obviously he didn't watch enough television before the invasion.  That was a given.

Perd!  How could you?  It would be a cool hat trick to get the actor who played The Douche to appear as a pirate radio host.

To add to the conversation about the occupation, it seems strange that everyone, not just those in charge, refers to it as "the arrival", and "our hosts", even in private.  Sumpin' ain't right here. 

With all the tech at their disposal, it would have seemed obvious and efficient to me to place sensors around those drainpipes to alert when the papers were delivered.  The kids on the street in broad daylight, in front of a redhat, were just too ridiculous.  All I could think of was Life of Brian.

The resistance would do themselves a whole lot better if they strove to provide people with the essentials of life on an underground (literally) economy.  They know something is outside the wall, as they tried to blow up the Santa Monica transit point.  Get out there and start smuggling on a large scale.  Forget about killing the weasels in charge.

Like any good sci-fi show — especially a Carlton Cuse one, as he did with "Lost" — "Colony" keeps leaving viewers with more questions after each episode.

Here are 10 of mine, for your consideration and comments:

10. When Snyder tells the crowd at the Yonk that the bar is in the Transitional Authority's "long-term plans" and raises a glass to toast "10 more years of beer and bourbon," does this mean humanity have only 10 more years left — in existence, or on Earth?

9. Does Snyder have any family members who survived The Arrival?

8. If food is scarce and is rationed, then why are there occasional scenes of people eating and drinking at cafes and restaurants?

7. If there's no mobile phone service, how are people like Katie able to make phone calls — remember the pay phone-looking device in the Pilot, in which she calls Broussard and speaks in code?

6. Have all the telescopes in the LA Bloc been confiscated, preventing residents from simply gazing into a clear night sky to detect the Hosts' presence somewhere?

5. What if the Factory ISN'T a slave labor facility at all and instead is a place where human prisoners are "recalled," then "manufactured," "modified," "repaired" or forcibly interbred with the Hosts to suit their needs?

4. Speaking of "needs," Snyder certainly looked gobsmacked and terrified while brushing aside Will's questioning him in the Pilot about what needs he was referring to, when he told Will that "everything will go back to normal" after humanity satisfied the Hosts' needs — what ARE they?

3. How could the Hosts simply "arrive" on Earth from space without any warning, given all the detection technology humanity has, to pick up signals and objects traveling through space?

2. What happens to any LA Bloc residents who dare to attempt to fly the American flag or sing patriotic songs or say the Pledge of Allegiance — and would the redhats be so quick as to turn their backs on their own country?

1. What if this is all is a ruse and the Hosts aren't extraterrestrial at all, but an Earth-bound power which has managed an unprecedented and unfathomable technological breakthrough rendering them powerful enough to bring the developed world to its knees?

• Love 3

Like any good sci-fi show — especially a Carlton Cuse one, as he did with "Lost" — "Colony" keeps leaving viewers with more questions after each episode.

Here are 10 of mine, for your consideration and comments:

Unfortunately, as per "Lost", you are unlikely to get answers to any of your questions.

• Love 1

I beg to differ on "Lost." Pretty much all my questions were answered...unless of course I missed something. :)

Meanwhile, a few other "Colony" questions...

1. As evidence by the Transitional Authority propagandist reporting on the Geronimo show trial, TV broadcasts are allowed — but are LA Bloc residents now living in a one-channel universe of all TA propaganda all the time? (That in itself would lead Americans to take up arms in rebellion!)

2. How were TA people, such as Helena, Snyder and others "selected" by the "Hosts"?

3. How was the wall built and how long did that job take? (Unless the "Hosts" merely dropped it into place from above.)

4. Why are residents of the LA Bloc mistakenly called "Colonists," when that descriptor is reserved for people affiliated with the party that has invaded and colonized a territory (aka the Mayflower people and immediate descendants?)

5. With the apparent physical devastation (at least to parts of downtown LA), how does the Transitional Authority have the resources and labor (assumed forced?) to trick out all the vehicles (including converted city buses) and mass produce new flags, lapel pins, patches, redhat uniforms, etc. in less than a year? (All this suggests that perhaps this was all planned by the invading party long before the actual invasion and was ready to roll out, which leads to my next question...)

6. Was "The Arrival" a clandestine, long-planned and incredibly well-kept secret conspiracy that certain people were in on for years? (Until we as viewers actually see any evidence of an extraterrestrial involvement, I ain't buyin' that it is. The occupation seems way too well organized and mapped out, even if the events we're seeing are just under a year into the process....or...)

7.  Was "The Arrival" itself a peaceful encounter between our species and extraterrestrial visitors, until we or they did something to provoke a war we quickly lost (as Phyllis told Will before Broussard busted a cap in her dome, "they dismantled all our defenses in eight hours)?

• Love 2

I just want to know why on earth Will replaced Phyllis.  It's so stupid.  He's the newest member of the team and he's only there because he wants something.  The only way this would make sense is if Snyder is the leader of the resistance, and they'd have to seriously retcon that to make it believable.  

• Love 1

The thing I wondered about Geronimo's trial is why Snyder bothered to coerce him at all.  He's a prisoner -- you can have a trial without his cooperation. Did I miss something where he recanted his alliance with the resistance or told everyone the resistance was a sham? 

For me, Snyder's most effective coercion tactic with anyone with any emotional ties is the believable threat that he will not only send you but everyone you care about or know to "the farm."  I don't think he needs much else to elicit cooperation.

I wouldn't mind a flashback to the invasion -- it would really help set the tone to see some awe inspiring muscle from the invaders.

• Love 2

I just want to know why on earth Will replaced Phyllis. It's so stupid. He's the newest member of the team and he's only there because he wants something. The only way this would make sense is if Snyder is the leader of the resistance, and they'd have to seriously retcon that to make it believable.

From what I understand Phyllis was CIA and Will did some Government work of his own. The first thing the Hosts did when they showed up was get rid of anyone who was a threat so only a few people with a certain skill set remain. Of course there are violent thugs who make up the Redhats but there are very few people left with a particular talent for tracking and spying. Edited by Chaos Theory

When the red hats went into the school and started busting heads and arresting people for their choice of reading material, didn't you guys think it strange that the book they were objecting to was Fahrenheit 451?  Would any self-respecting, oppressive overlord really object to that book?

• Love 2

I think so. Because there is a group of people managed to subvert the system.

What makes that scene weird is the fact that people in the Green Zone are apparently still able to buy the works of contemporary Chinese artist Ai Weiwei, who has used his very political work to undermine the Chinese government.

At first I thought the contrast between the Fahrenheit 451/Ai Weiwie references might be a clever way of showing that those in the GZ have more liberties. But I'm not sure the show is that smart.

• Love 3

How do you conquer a city (or state, or country, or world) without anyone having any idea what you look like? I get that the masses wouldn't know, but no one in government or Homeland has even given a throwaway line, like they were covered in armor. Are they humanoid and hiding among us? Do you need special glasses to see them?

In the book (and recent TV mini-series) of "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke, the aliens (who turn out to be mostly benign and trying to help humanity) hide themselves at first because of their scary appearance. So for years, no one on Earth knows what they look like until they finally reveal themselves.

• Love 1

I have never held a belief that The Visitors or The Hosts were EXTRAterrestrial or NOT because we have been presented with so little information per the storyline. Long-term blindness, deafness, and ignorance about the storyline is not "good"  albeit Science Fiction,...in books, television,...  Rather, that illustrates an aimless, unstructured, somewhat, chaotic 'mind' of The Creative/Production Team.

*( episodes  in seasons are few and, oftentimes, short-lived, nowadays. no time for needless musings and fillers. so, The Team needs to develop, write, direct, edit,...the plot and other aspects of production FAST and WELL. they know the parameters. do THE job.)*

. Its surprising that there are no red hats doing patrols on the other side of the wall. Bram & his girlfriend can raid the warehouse of supplies without anyone around is hard to believe. 

Because the warehouse is outside the wall, and there is nobody alive out there to guard anything!

Also the secret seems to be closely held so  letting your average grunts, and who else would you put in such a boring position, in on the secret of outside the walls would be a security officers nightmare. And now we know the Red Hats have been infiltrated