Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

But the Yahoo special is apparently due to include live responses to questions/comments/input. It probably won't do much, but we could at least TRY to use that opportunity to get across all our constructive criticisms about the show to A&E.

I was thinking more along the lines of making the message clear that many, many people would like more of Emma and less of Regina as the star of the show, and would prefer more honest and even positive interactions between Emma and her parents, instead of the constant manufactured negative interactions between them that are never even dealt with and resolved in a natural way (on that note, less of the manufactured positive interactions between her and Regina, especially when there are things like Graham's murder that have yet to be dealt with.)

Only on this show would taking a child away from a mass murderer who nearly killed him once while trying to murder his birth mother and who rejects him, saying she doesn't want him around, when it's inconvenient or upsetting for her, and who lets him devote his life to her happiness rather than her putting any thought whatsoever into whether he's happy be considered a "selfish" act that's a sign of darkness.

Wait, was that really said in the special? See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about, conveying the message that we are not buying the kind of morality they're selling and it would be best for them to stop. I understand that most people don't want to cause a scene or do anything that would make them feel like all the rabid shippers and bullies who harass Adam on Twitter, but at this point it's obvious that this kind of criticism will never be heard by A&E or even acknowledged in A&E's brains unless it's given as sharply and loudly as possible.

There's no guarantee of success, but what do we have to lose by trying?

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 2

A reminder now that Season Five has started; this topic is for Media, Cons, and Other Real Life discussion. Discussion on the show itself, storylines, characters, and other issues will belong elsewhere.

Also, if you post an article that has some spoiler-y information, it's a courtesy to let folks know before they click.

Thanks for posting at Previously.TV!

I watched the special, and I wished they'd stop talking about hope so much.  That ship sailed awhile ago for the good guys.  There was no hope in that second half last season and there hasn't been for awhile now.  Emma doesn't give in to the temptation to become dark, and her reward is to save everyone by becoming the dark one.  Where's the hope in that for her or her family and relationships.  

• Love 6

I'm just watch the Dark Swan Rises programme. Why on earth does this show have Colin put on that dreadful accent. His own speaking voice is pleasant, why do we get that brutal Dick van Dyke impression inflicted on us?

I'm American and not the best judge, but I'm pretty sure what Colin's doing isn't nearly the level of that godawful cockney-by-way-of-Australia thing Dick van Dyke was trying. I figured his English accent was probably on par with his American one (i.e., shaky but not outright terrible). Anyone else want to weigh in?

Edit: to be clear, I like how he sounds on the show. I just don't know how accurate of an English accent it is (and yes, I know there are about 1,000 different ones), since I'm pretty sure that's what he's going for.

Edited by Scovies
  • Love 2

I'm American and not the best judge, but I'm pretty sure what Colin's doing isn't nearly the level of that godawful cockney-by-way-of-Australia thing Dick van Dyke was trying. I figured his English accent was probably on par with his American one (i.e., shaky but not outright terrible). Anyone else want to weigh in?

Edit: to be clear, I like how he sounds on the show. I just don't know how accurate of an English accent it is (and yes, I know there are about 1,000 different ones), since I'm pretty sure that's what he's going for.

I'm a British television junkie and I think he sounds fine.  I was watching Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels last night and was struck by how many different variations of an english accent were on display.  I think Colin’s take would’ve fit in fine.  At least he hardens his Ts and lowers and raises his pitch at the appropriate moments, which some American actors fail to do.  And his “Bloody Hell” is brilliant, IMO.  The accent I think is harder to mimic is a southern American one.  Now watching some actors try to affect that makes me cringe.

Edited by FierceAfroChick

The accent I think is harder to mimic is a southern American one. Now watching some actors try to affect that makes me cringe.

Oh, heavens, yes. It's always stronger than any southern accent has been in decades and decades, and at the same time, just a little off. Blech.

As for the British accent, I have no idea. So much can depend on the how sensitive the listener is, and other aspects the actor brings. I still remember someone on another board absolutely furious at what a terrible British accent A. S. Head was using on BtVS, and why couldn't he sound authentic, like the actual British citizen, Marsters. I'm not sure the poster ever believed it when someone pointed out it was the other way around.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 1

Oh, heavens, yes. It's always stronger than any southern accent has been in decades and decades, and at the same time, just a little off. Blech.

Just like a British accent, there are several different variations of a Southern one.  As a Texas girl, I can tell the difference between an Oklahoma accent and an Arkansas one.  I have a cousin from Tennessee who always bristles when someone asks him if he's from Texas, LOL.  Anyhoo, actors seem to think a Southern accent has only one variation and they use it badly.  But you know, just about every country has people whose accent deviates based on the region they're from and it's the same for the US and Britain.  Okay, strayed very far off topic, so lemme stop now.

Edited by FierceAfroChick

I think the accent used for Hook sounds fine, and Colin's natural accent is lovely too.

I'm from the Southeast, and there are all kinds of accents. Some are stronger than others, of course. It is different from a Texan accent because they know I'm not local when they hear me. I cringe at some of the southern accents in television/movies too. Especially when they start dropping the R's.

Anyhoo, actors seem to think a Southern accent has only one variation and they use it badly.

Another Texan here, and yeah, a lot of actors seem to think everyone south of Kansas talks like they're from Alabama. Even within Texas, there's a very different accent west of Fort Worth than east of Dallas.

As crazy as accents are on this show, I don't know why they didn't let Colin use his real accent. It's a fantasy world, anyway, and his Hook isn't actually from Britain.

I think the problem with Hook's accent is the dialogue doesn't match it, so it sounds false. He constantly says 'aye'. Posh English people don't use 'aye', although almost every other regional accent does. That just one example, but it's like his words are rough but the accent is polished.

Aw, congrats to her! I wonder if they'll pull a Ginny and include the pregnancy on the show, or just make the second half of the season very Belle lite.

It would depend in large measure on how far along she is.  If she only just found out, she can't be more than a month or two pregnant, but even if that's the case, by the time production ends (late March/early April), she'll definitely be showing.  The show will either have to reduce her appearances with some sort of explanation or else resort to the old methods of disguising her pregnancy, such as shooting her in close-up or having her stand behind objects or hold objects in such a way as to camouflage the baby bump, if it doesn't want to write the pregnancy in.

Aw, whom are we kidding?  These writers would never pass up the chance to give Rumple his own Baby Do-Over to replace Baelfire.  Of course Belle will be pregnant before the season ends! 

Edited by legaleagle53

Congrats to her.

Nah they'll have Rumple as the daddy and probably have Will pretend to be it while Hook tries to be the over protective uncle to piss Rumple off.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 1

Will can't be the dad. A half-season seems to last only a week or two while Emilie is a real human. That baby has to be born in 5B. If we allow 6 weeks between seasons and two weeks per half-season and 40 weeks gestation....carry the two...then Belle got pregnant during the missing year. Robin Hood is clearly the dad (hey, they were both single at the time and living in the same castle).

(and that still wouldn't be the most random thing this show has done)

Edited by kili
  • Love 5

Actually there was a whole 9 weeks time skip in 4B. We came back with a 6 weeks time jump (why is it always 6 weeks) and when they showed what was going on NYC, it was 9 weeks before. So Zelena should be about that far along. If Belle gets pregnant by Rumple, then that makes her further along than Zelena.

I don't even know why I'm doing this to myself right now. I should have a cupcake or something.

• Love 1
then Belle got pregnant during the missing year. Robin Hood is clearly the dad (hey, they were both single at the time and living in the same castle).

Nah, it's Neal. They were both grieving and had a moment of weakness when they were comforting each other while at Rumple's castle, working late hours to find and interpret clues about the Dark One. Then we get some massive soap opera stuff going on where Rumple could be stepdad to his grandson, but Hook also thinks of the kid as kind of a step-grandson, and Henry has a half-brother who's also kind of an uncle, which makes two infant uncles.

• Love 7

They will miss the perfect opportunity for closure on Rumple's story if they don't put this in.

Think about it: Belle becomes pregnant by Rumple, who is the powerless man he used to be. Then at the end of the season, Rumple has a choice to sacrifice his life (again) or flee to his wife and baby like he did in the war when Baelfire was born. This time, he makes the choice he didn't make before: he fights and he dies, knowing that his child will grow up with the knowledge of his/her father dying a hero, which is preferable to living and making the same mistakes all over again.

• Love 3

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the fandom thread, but...

Did Lana actually decide to invent a new hashtag (#QueenofHope) and use that instead of #DarkSwan? I looked at the official Twitter and it didn't come from them. Aren't the official hashtags to use during the livetweets something ABC marketing decides? 

I didn't even know there is such a thing as on official hashtag. Or I obviously didn't pay attention to that before, I guess. I'm sure there's a marketing idea behind having everyone use the same hashtag in every single on of their tweets during the episode, but I find this show's social media presence absolutely catastrophic in so many ways that I wouldn't be surprised if not many pay attention to what's coming from the official account anymore to be honest. I just went back and looked at some tweets from the writers who were live tweeting yesterday and they didn't use anything that came from OnceABC either, but stuck to mostly general OUAT hashtags and some of their own.

I don't know who came up with it, but I was occasionally looking at the Twitter stream of #onceuponatime, and noticed it showing up first in the hashtags of people who were very clearly devoted fans of Regina or Ms. Parilla. It spread from there, I guess.

The official hashtags are used to check a show's social media presence/impact. Like in 3A it was #SaveHenry, in 4A it was #FrozenIsComing (but not simply #Frozen, because that was the movie), etc. Marketing chooses one particular hashtag to promote so it's easier to trend. 

• Love 1

Did Lana actually decide to invent a new hashtag (#QueenofHope) and use that instead of #DarkSwan? I looked at the official Twitter and it didn't come from them. Aren't the official hashtags to use during the livetweets something ABC marketing decides? 

I don't know the idea for the hashtag came from her or ABC marketing, but she was the first one to use it and the only official person to do so.

Once again, I'm forced to admit that while it's nice Ms. Parilla enjoys her character and her work, it at times seems as though what she is filming is somehow not what is appearing on my TV screen.

It might be a curse. Someone should look into it.

• Love 4

If she created that tag to trend, it would be in conflict with the official hashtag, and she may get a memo from the promo department. I'm sure most actors don't realize that twitter trends are now taken into account for the ratings.

I don't particularly like Lily Sparks' reviews on TV.com because of her SQ obsession, but this did make me laugh inappropriately loud at the coffee shop:

I know that approximately 800 million people love Captain Swan but can we all admit that while the charismatic Colin Donaghue is the best, Hook as a character is almost unbearable? And I only said "almost" so I wouldn’t get a rattlesnake in my mailbox because OUAT fandoms DO NOT PLAY. Love you all, one love, peace live and let live please do not put a rattlesnake in my mailbox.
  • Love 6