Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)

Boy, I hope Jennifer Morrison won't have to explain why Emma sacrificed herself too many times more.  She was diplomatic yet also really stressed why Emma did what she did.  She really emphasized her family, HER SON and the whole town.  I could hear the capital letters, LOL.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
(edited)

Jennifer's response was so great that I decided to type it out for anyone who needs to quote it:

"Okay, so this is something...I know everybody keeps getting mad at me for saying this, but this is just the truth of the storytelling. The truth of the storytelling is that [Emma] sacrificed herself for everyone—that the darkness was going to consume the entire town. And so she had to make a split-second decision knowing that [...] The Apprentice had said, 'Unless the darkness is tethered to one particular person, then it will consume everything, that it will destroy everything.' So she's facing the entire town, everyone she loves, her family, her son, everyone is going to be completely consumed with darkness unless she tethers herself to it. And the darkness went after Regina first because she was so susceptible to it, and so she is obviously initially saving Regina. And as I said on the panel earlier today, if it were only Regina, I still think she would make the decision. But just to clarify for the storytelling, she is doing this to save everyone. So that's a tough question to answer because the choice wasn't choosing between Hook and Regina, it's choosing between everyone including Hook being destroyed by darkness, or sacrificing herself and hoping that they'll find a way to help her out of the darkness."

Poor, Jen. If that final scene had been written better, she wouldn't have to explain what that scene was actually about. On the bright side, I do love listening to Jen talk about her character and the show. She's so eloquent.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 11
(edited)

I love listening to these actors talk, but sometimes, I wonder what is the point of having interviews when they haven't filmed anything, and also having interviews before episodes air when they are not allowed to say much.  I know it's basically just creating buzz, but it must be difficult for them to answer these unanswerable questions (or on the flip side, questions they've answered a million times before).

Like the question of how this will change the relationship between Emma and Henry.  Clearly, they haven't filmed anything about that yet, and honestly, they might have practically nothing on Emma/Henry in 5A.  They certainly didn't in 4B.  Ditto for stuff about Emma and her parents.  From listening to Jennifer Morrison, she really seems interested in these interactions but who knows if she will actually get to play it out to any depth.

This whole concept of publicity sometimes just confuses me.  Why ask questions when you're not really going to be getting any answers.  And with a show like this, when there are hardly any character moments, most responses about how characters are feeling by necessity has to be just speculation and conjecture.

To me, it was more interesting to hear about how she played things that had already happened, which they did discuss a bit in the second clip.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
(edited)

Those table interviews at comic-con are, a lot of them are just fans slash big bloggers. The usual ET industry people get the press room.

But I get the point Camera. I'm over the "relationships." They're all crappy and boring at this point. I rather know the big ass plot holes stuff that bugs me. Like how did they go from "only Merlin can tether the darkness" to Emma doing it like its no big deal?

fanpandering never ends well

To be fair I don't think A&E were pandering to just fans. They were pandering to their own need to jack off to some canonization of the most perfect Saint Victim to haver existed, every other episode. They've been throwing all sorts of characters and stories into that black hole Mary Sue since S2, lest we forget Snow's diner speech. Edited by LizaD
  • Love 1

Colin with Donal Logue.

That's super-cute since MRJ and Donal are BFF (hence the tweet).

You gotta admit, as much as we may not care for some of their characters, the entire cast irl are so cool and fun. It's just a shame about their show.

• Love 1
You gotta admit, as much as we may not care for some of their characters, the entire cast irl are so cool and fun. It's just a shame about their show.

Oh for sure!  I mean I laughed hard at Rebecca and Sean's q&as.  They're pretty hilarious and everyone seems to have a pretty great sense of humor.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's interesting to see that, like with the Teen Choice nominations, the category is all CW (and one MTV) shows, plus Once!

I do wonder why, out of so many TV shows, Once has the most presence in social media. It's not even that hugely popular compared to some of the biggest hits in the ratings. Is it all the controversial shipping?

Edited by KingOfHearts
(edited)

I do wonder why, out of so many TV shows, Once has the most presence in social media. It's not even that hugely popular compared to some of the biggest hits in the ratings. Is it all the controversial shipping?

I think of Once as having more cult classic appeal, and those have some pretty hardcore followings online. What with ComicCon and the whole Star Wars panel, I got to hear for the first time how the fans really supported Star Wars, and it was a grassroots movement that George Lucas fostered. And, I think everyone loves fairytales and Disney stories and characters, so that helps too.

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1
(edited)

Being a rating hits means nothing for social media popularity. I'm pretty sure Once has the biggest ratings out of the top 5 most tweeted about shows, because the others were CW shows and MTV shows. The #2 show is Arrow, which doesn't really have controversal shipping - it has one huge ship and the rest are mostly background noise.

Edited by Serena
(edited)

I say this with fond affection, but Colin sounded drunk. Or like he had too much sugar. Did he really say that Hook tried on Emma's new clothes? XD But this is honestly making me laugh remembering his first year or so being interviewed, when he would blush and repeat "kind of, maybe, who knows" all the time.

Eion Bailey joins the cast of Westworld.

Edited by Serena
(edited)

That video... jesus, why does this cast have to be so goddamned delightful? Colin and Jen are always great, but Sean and Bex have really won me over as well. Who do I have to kill to get a Vince Gilligan-quality showrunner to take over OUAT so they'll have material worthy of their awesomeness?

Edited by Scovies
  • Love 5

I think you'd have to kill Adam and Eddy. Maybe instead of kill, you can just entice them away with sparkly dirt. :)

And yes, those two are awesome. Perhaps Colin was just playing off of all the inappropriate things that were said to him about Hook already that day.

(edited)

I think you'd have to kill Adam and Eddy. Maybe instead of kill, you can just entice them away with sparkly dirt. :)

Or somehow convince them that they need to get ready to film a Regina spin-off?  (Although, while I'd like someone with Gilligan's quality, I'd maybe prefer someone with a . . . happier? . . .aesthetic.)

Edited by Mari
  • Love 2

I say this with fond affection, but Colin sounded drunk. Or like he had too much sugar. Did he really say that Hook tried on Emma's new clothes? XD But this is honestly making me laugh remembering his first year or so being interviewed, when he would blush and repeat "kind of, maybe, who knows" all the time.

By that point of the night, Colin was probably punchy and caffeinated as hell given that he filmed late on Friday & didn't get in to San Diego until 4:30 a.m. because his & Bex's flight was delayed. (They said this on an EW Radio interview.)

Or somehow convince them that they need to get ready to film a Regina spin-off?  (Although, while I'd like someone with Gilligan's quality, I'd maybe prefer someone with a . . . happier? . . .aesthetic.)

Vince wrote some really fun eps of "The X-Files" and his movies were off-kilter but romantic, so he could definitely do it. I know, if only the actors had show runners worthy of them.

• Love 3
(edited)

And that goofiness right there is why I love those two so much. The way they can be absolutely silly and yet sincere with each other is just infectious. You can tell his surprising her there absolutely made her night. And the way he was still so awkward and adorkable!?

I just can't with them. And they are why I'll be Once trash until the day I die...which I'm perilously close to doing, btw.

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, I tried my best to think of a great show-runner off the top of my head, and his name was the first that came to mind. He managed 5 seasons of one of the greatest shows ever without having any kind of drop in quality. Frankly, I'd love to see JMo and Colin tackle some Gilligan-level angst. For me, they're part of the Holy Trinity of Kickass Actors on OUAT along with Carlyle. 

....that could be an interesting thread to start, couldn't it? "Acting on OUAT"?

Edited by Scovies

As Souris said, Gilligan did some great X-Files episodes. Bad Blood is still one of my favorites. Maybe JJ Abrams would add a fun Alias-type vibe to it? Or Josh Schwartz, who did Chuck and The OC.

Also, I thought Colin reminded me of someone in that Access Hollywood video. Please tell me I'm not the only one. I mean, seriously, look at this dork and tell me they aren't sort of the same person.
OvULrDy.gif

• Love 1
(edited)

I haven't seen this show since end of Frozen but I was doing some analytics work about comic-con and came across the Twitter Reverb data that had Once as the most tweeted tv show. Thought people would find it interesting that the 3 major influencers driving that were @twittertv (the biggest one), @onceabc and @colinodonoghue1. 

ETA: Forgot source

https://blog.twitter.com/2015/a-look-back-at-this-year-s-comic-con

Edited by Jean
  • Love 1
(edited)

Really? I wouldn't have put any money on Colin, since he's not really a big tweeter. Other actors like Lana and Rebecca tweeted much more, posted pics, etc. He did post several tweets about CC, but it was the day after.

Edited by Serena