Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

They almost always show reporters early version of the first episode of a season -- the difference is whether they just send out a screener for them to watch on their own, or do something bigger. I'd say the fact that they had an actual press screening event (sure, not the huge movie theater thing they did for Frozen, but that is understandable) is a good sign. Not necessarily on the quality of the season itself, but at least on ABC's expectation that it is rating decently and will continue to do so. I'm sure they also know that Once articles do really well on TV news sites, so keeping the reporters happy and giving them article fodder is in their interests. 

I haven't dealt much with TV marketing people as a journalist, but I used to do quite a bit of film coverage and criticism and at least in that market, the more effort and money they put into marketing a film to the media, the more confident they were. If something sucked, they'd sometimes pull the press screening or move it right before the premiere or crack down on review embargoes to stop word getting out.

That said, film critics are much, much harsher than most TV "critics" -- E!, TV Guide, TV Line et al. are not really in the business of critically evaluating shows, they're in the business of appeasing fandoms' appetites for spoilers and interviews and photos. But I don't think networks spend money trying to promote shows they think are flagging (which is unfortunate sometimes) -- they seem to be pretty myopic about this stuff: once a show starts to slump they wash their hands of it.

But I obviously come from the side of someone who gets marketed to, rather than does the marketing. Some PR people here might have a different take.

I'm glad they're still doing stuff like this, and not giving up on the promotional aspect of the show.  I was worried that they would have difficulties generating hype this season after the media circus of Frozen last year, but they still managed to do it.  I really enjoy talking about and dissecting this show, despite the disappointment, so I want this to continue for several more years to come.

• Love 1

I was worried that they would have difficulties generating hype this season after the media circus of Frozen last year, but they still managed to do it. 

Yeah, towards the end of last season, after Frozen and then dropping the combination of Cruella/Maleficent/Ursula, I was wondering how they'd ever come up with something that would generate much hype, but I think they've done an admirable job getting people excited for this season. Sure the execution may end up sucking, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. 

• Love 2

Yeah, towards the end of last season, after Frozen and then dropping the combination of Cruella/Maleficent/Ursula, I was wondering how they'd ever come up with something that would generate much hype, but I think they've done an admirable job getting people excited for this season. Sure the execution may end up sucking, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Definitely, but those were much easier sells, they were practically self promoting based on hype and popularity alone especially Frozen.

They often show reporters screeners - off the top of my mind, they showed them 101, 102, 201, 301, 302, 312, 401, 412. Usually the "big" press gets physical screening plus access to A&E, while the smaller ones get a digital version a few days later.

Just say Camelot and Arthur and I'm there! This is the first universe since Neverland that I'm actually really looking forward to and since it's already been woven in the show. Plus this is going to be all about Emma, so I'm double there!

I'm such an easy sell!

• Love 1

^ Camelot is an easy sell for me too, and I wouldn't call myself a super fan of it's mythology. I know enough where I can tell they could get some really good stuff out of it if they wanted to, and I'm decently familiar with the characters.

I'm just happy because it's Camelot. Just Camelot and the Dark Swan (which fits into the Camelot stuff). It looks like they've brought focus back to one theme/place/idea again, unlike 4b. Despite how a lot of us are complaining about all the new characters being introduced, at least they are all from the same story (except Merida pretty much).

4b we had Mal's story line, Ursula's, Cruella's, the Author's, the sorceror/apprentice's. They didn't tie together as well as one would hope. Sure, they fit into the "find the author" grand scheme, but it just didn't meld as well as it should have. Camelot looks like all the story lines will fit together nicely.

If anybody has a Twitter account & you haven't done this already, RT this tweet tonight to get Colin on the cover of a magazine. It's him vs. Sam yet again.

Most networks have moved from physical screening DVDs to online streaming screeners for TV critics because of the cost & ease. Having a screening gathering for critics is pretty unusual, because it involves more time & expense.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1
I love JMo's outfit. It's different & interesting, but classy. And it's better than wearing a dead crow on one's head.

That's not nice. I mean what's the difference between putting down what Lana is wearing and the mean, abrasive comments Ginny has been getting about what she's been wearing since her pregnancy? 

• Love 3

I don't see an issue with mild snark about a hat someone chose to wear. Much different than insults about someone's weight or looks, at least IMO. And we snark about things people say, too, which is also a choice they make. IMO that's even more a comment on their intrinsic person than something like "wow that's an ugly hat."

Edited by Souris

Unfortunately, I think it's probably going to be one of those things where they do a phone interview and pull some stock photos of Colin from somewhere. Oh well. Better than nothing, I guess. And hey, we finally won something for him!

I don't know if I can say this, but I think both Lana's and Jennifer's outfits are terrible, but Lana's is worse because of the hat and the shoes.

The magazine did say that they only use original photos on the cover, so if Colin is available, it will at least be a new shoot.

I hope he can do it. He seems to have a lot of free time, so I don't think it's out of the question.

EDIT to add this hideous thing ABC has released today. Someone should take photoshop away from this people.

Edited by RadioGirl27

There's a reason every awards show has a best-dressed and worst-dressed list: we like to analyze good and bad fashion. And a bad accessory can ruin an otherwise fabulous outfit.

I agree. Commenting on what actresses chose to wear is far game. Commenting on their weight, or other physical attributes (I HATE the "did she have a boob job/nose job/fillers" kind of speculation) is not. 

I hope Jennifer was lent that outfit, because it costs an extorbitant amount of money.

• Love 1

I think I actually physically recoiled from that poster. It's awful. Truly embarrassing. They're owned by DISNEY, for God's sake!

Though I expect it's truth in advertising. Dark Swan, Regina & Rumple will eat up screen time, then Merida & Arthur. The rest of the regulars will walk through the background, out of focus, from time to time.

• Love 1

I really feel for Ginny in this as SHE is the actor with top billing and they treat her like an afterthought.  It will be interesting to see if they make it to a contract renegotiation and how that will fall out.  Will there be a number of "with" insert actor name or if some characters will just be dropped.

• Love 1

I really feel for Ginny in this as SHE is the actor with top billing and they treat her like an afterthought.

It makes me upset, too. I loved Snow in the first season. She played such an integral part of the show and her friendship with Emma is the whole reason I stuck with the show for so long in Season 1. And then the writers have slowly turned her from one of the main leads of the show (I always considered Ginny and Jen to be the co-leads in Season 1) to basically a secondary character. I wouldn't blame Ginny or Josh for jumping ship after their initial contracts are done, but on the other hand, maybe they like the cushy paycheck, being able to work together as a married couple, and not having a ton of screen time because it means more time with their child.

• Love 6

So let's see...all the regulars are there except zelena (is Jared considered a regular/main?). Of course Regina's upfront and in your face. We got granny's, merida, is the tree in front of the castle new?, and a twister in the background.

Maybe we should start a petition for new/original promo shots for 5b and beyond. I haven't minded the character promos for Merida, etc., but I just wish they'd care enough to do an original promoshoot.

Maybe we should form a kickstarter to hire someone to take new cast photos.

I think my favorite thing about that poster is the sponge in the background by the castle. I have no idea what that's about so it could be really interesting to see how it's incorporated in the show.

Or is that a tree?

Why would Colin wear a kilt? 

I didn't claim Colin is Scottish. ;-) Colin and Sam have "competed" with each in at least three different polls so far. There was this twitter thing where winner of the poll was supposed to dress up like the other's character. Sam won the first poll and he dressed in pirate gear at Comic Con. We were all hoping Colin would win the second one at least. Colin should just take pity on us at this point.

ETA: OMG. That poster is a travesty! Did a 5 year old put it together??

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

EDIT to add this hideous thing ABC has released today. Someone should take photoshop away from this people.

Honestly, I think we should just go with it.

We know they're going to be horrible, and get possibly even more horrible.  We should just come up with some sort of fandom game. Maybe guess what awful thing they'll do to it next, and donate to the charity of the winner's choice.

(I'd suggest alcohol of some sort, but I don't drink, and figure--based on what I've read in the forum so far--we probably don't want to add that stress to the livers of our current posters.  The season will take enough of a toll.  :)  )

The poster is a travesty. I don't know what I "like" the most about it, Belle looking longingly at Rumple’s crotch or the sword coming out of Regina’s ass.

Bwhahaha.  I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.  Thank you.  Thank you soooo very much.   Now I can't stop giggling about it.

• Love 1

See, that video is awesome and I would watch the hell out of that show. But sadly, I have a feeling that the vibe of that video (Season 5 being primarily about Emma and Snow) isn't going to be anything like what we actually get.

Agreed.  The promo was also unintentionally hilarious.  They made it seem like Emma becoming "dark" was a progression, like they built up to it, even though it was a singular random event in the last 5 minutes of the finale.  Cue a hundred and one out-of-context scenes, which provided the much needed LOL of the day.  "'Something' happened along the way?"  Translation: Let's be vague and forget all the crap that A&E wrote.  And don't forget to throw in a dig for Snow... "Now no one knows the lure of evil more than I."  Riiiiight.... you're the most evil of them all.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4