Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

I think the image is effective. As some of the photos posted show, it is attention-grabbing even at a distance and is simple enough that people driving past will remember it better than a picture of an actress in heavy makeup and feathers. It doesn't have to relate to coming story lines. It just needs to get people's attention so they also see the show logo next to it and ask "What's that all about." and it does that.

It reminds some of some of the stuff I have seen at CeBIT and at Comdex back in the day - big eye-catching billboards and posters that have nothing to do with computers but they draw you over to the company's booth in the hope of getting some cool swag.

(edited)

I think the image is effective.

It's certainly effective if you're just talking about ingraining an image in your head. But they could have at least done it in a way where the photoshop isn't terrible.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm hoping there'll be more than one for Dark Emma!

And at least one needs to have some serious feathers.  (Something like the evil version of Snow's wedding gown would not be regular Emma, but I loved Snow's dress enough I'd overlook that.)

Edited by Mari

LOL, it looks like they gave a 2-year old a black paintbrush and told them to go crazy with it.

It's okay, I have thick skin. ;) (Although, I did whip that out in one hour. I'm pretty sure the real ABC people had a couple weeks to make their poster.)

The hashtags make it art. Should we start using these and make it A Thing?

I'm all for it. We can make a series of posters with increasingly bizarre hashtags and see how long it takes people to realize they're fake.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's okay, I have thick skin. ;) (Although, I did whip that out in one hour. I'm pretty sure the real ABC people had a couple weeks to make their poster.)

I was referring to the official ABC one, with the black paint-strokes for eyes!  I like yours, Curio.  Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

How is a porcelain doll mask supposed to be Dark One Emma? I was tired of the endless apple pictures, but at least that was iconic fairytale imagery.

You don't think the red lips are iconic fairy tale imagery? I thought they were going for a Snow White vibe with those. In fact, here's a promo poster from the first season I think that matches up pretty well with the new poster when you look at the red lips and dark eyebrows.

once_upon_a_time_ver2-e1314055985649.jpg

• Love 2

I think the difference between the two posters is the context and stylization. In the Snow White poster, we immediately know it's Snow White because the text flat out says her name, the fairy tale describes her as having "lips as red as blood," and there's a lot more detail in the photograph (you can tell she's wearing a necklace and feathery gown) even though it's very over exposed. You can recognize that's Ginny, whereas you can't even tell that's Jen in the Dark Swan poster. I appreciate them attempting to go more abstract with the Dark Swan poster, but I feel like they fell flat in the execution.

• Love 3

I know everyone on here worships Colin and JMo and their friendship, but these two have always had adorable interactions as well.

tumblr_nr4jdyliUI1slj2w7o2_500.png

tumblr_nr4jdyliUI1slj2w7o3_500.png

tumblr_nr4jdyliUI1slj2w7o1_500.png

Heh, that would put THAT storyline to rest.

• Love 3

Well, Adam is the boss. It is his and Eddy's production company. Mark Isham works for them. Do you publicly go over your boss's head? I would not brook that from one of my employees.

I don't see a problem with how it was handled. Adam gets to decide what and when info is released to the public. He also gets to decide what everyone working for him is and is not allowed to make public. If an underling steps on the boss's toes in public he has to delete his tweet. End of story.

(edited)

I wished Adam acted like that towards that Scott dude who is nothing but an all around creeper. At least Mark gives us something nice on the show. Has anyone other than Swan Queeners ever liked Scott's episodes?

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with it at all. It's not like he publicly scolded Mark or anything. I guess by that point Adam knows that Mark gets a bit overexcited and hasn't really figured out that Once fans obsessively stalk the social media accounts of EVERYONE involved in the show's production, even the lady who's in charge of the Storybrooke foliage, to look for spoilers. Anyway, a lot more "regular" fans follow Adam's Twitter than Mark's, so even if Mark had already published the title many probably haven't seen it.

Emile and Colin are so cute. I wish the writers gave them more opportunity to showcase their chemistry on screen. Their scenes together are always great.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1
(edited)

Scott has not been leaking spoilers, just talking to fans. I like his episodes just fine. No one is forced to read what he posts.

Scott is a writer on the show, and therefore works for Adam and Eddy. He is an ancillary representative of the show, whether he likes it or not, so when he posts problematic tweets about the show, fans have the right to question why it goes unnoticed by the show runners.

It seems like Colin gets along well with most of the cast members. He seems like an easy going guy, so that's probably why, but it does make things more fun when you know the cast members get along.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 3
(edited)

OUAT once again managed to snag a Teen Choice nomination in a sea of CW shows, this time for Emma&Hook as "Choice TV Liplock". I think Jen got a nomination in Wave 1, and literally everyone BUT them is from the CW. Of course, these things are rigged, so they'll only win if ABC decides to throw enough money at the TCA.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 2

TCAs are rigged as all hell and so shady that even the Blue Fairy side-eyes them, but I'm thrilled that CS broke through the CW logjam and got a nomination. No way they'll win, but it's great to get some publicity for CS.

• Love 3

Wow, I'm impressed they got Patton Oswalt to do it. Neat!

(Although, the cynical side of me can't help but think, "Oh sure, you had time to write a silly one-off short video, but you couldn't bother to explain why Snow gave up her job as mayor or fix the other countless plot holes that could easily be resolved by one line of dialogue.") 

Buzzfeed:

Once Upon a Time panel

Saturday, July 11, 10 a.m.

Scheduled to attend: Stars Ginnifer Goodwin, Jennifer Morrison, Robert Carlyle, Lana Parrilla, Josh Dallas, Emilie de Ravin, Colin O’Donoghue, Sean Maguire, and Rebecca Mader; co-creators and executive producers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz

What needs to happen: We’ve already seen what Morrison’s Emma Swan will look like now that she’s the new Dark One, but here’s hoping we’ll see what will she look like when putting those powers to “good” use. It would also be acceptable if O’Donoghue just spent the whole panel winking at everyone, individually, in Ballroom 20. —JW

• Love 1
(edited)

I am unclear on that. Apparently SDCC is cracking down on fan videoing this year. I've seen something about them streaming, but it may not start til next year. I've heard they'll be showing the panels on TVs throughout the place, so somebody may video from that. If anybody knows more, please let us know!

Edited by Souris

There won't be livestream. But fan recordings always make their way online. As far as I'm aware, it's never been illegal for fans to film the panel and upload. The only thing it's illegal to film are exclusive trailers/extras they show. And those end up being released by the network anyway.

So some hints and possible spoilers should start hitting tomorrow afternoon (depending on what time zone you're in). I'll be out most of the day, so I'm going to miss the obsessive refreshing to see if any news has come out from the panel. But that means I should come home in the evening to plenty of goodies.

Writing Wrongs posted the cab yesterday. :)

I think it's funny there's a big hook on the back. It would be just as cool if they made it up to look only like the Jolly Roger, without the hook.

Writing Wrongs posted the cab yesterday. :)

I think it's funny there's a big hook on the back. It would be just as cool if they made it up to look only like the Jolly Roger, without the hook.

Oops, how did I miss that? I fixed my post. ;)

And yeah, the giant hook is kind of cheesy, but it definitely fits the vibe of SDCC.

No surprise, but you can see who the toy company thinks is the star of the show based on being in the center of the official poster for the figures. I'll give you one guess.

That's just a weird arrangement. Snow and Charming are the only couple next to each other. Unless Emma and Regina are now together, as well as Hook and Rumple, and Belle has moved on with Robin. And poor Henry is off to the side with his only friend, the story book.

The arrangement kind of makes sense. Just from a sales perspective, they're probably banking on Regina's cray cray fanbase to purchase the most action figures, so she's front and center. And then Emma, Hook, and Rumple also have strong fanbases, so they're also near the center. And then you have the other main characters who don't have as large of fanbases to buy their action figures on the outside.

Isn't that an old promo photo that they must have Photoshopped the new characters into? It looks familiar. I think it's one that at one point had Regina in the middle as the dividing line between "real world" characters like Emma and Henry on one side and the fairy tale people on the other side. But you lose that distinction when they add the other characters wherever they fit. So it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with who they think is more important or even who will sell more. It's probably just using an available photo.

• Love 1

I cannot tell you how giddy it makes me that Hook has a quirked eyebrow. <3

I'm not embarrassed to say I will be proudly displaying him on my desk at work once they become available for shipping.

• Love 1