Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Double Dare

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

Adam (Sean Giambrone) and Emmy are ecstatic their favorite TV game show "Double Dare" is hosting auditions at their school. But when Adam secretly asks Pops (George Segal) to be his partner, and Emmy secretly asks Handsome Ben, the two get into a fight.

As Adam was doing his sum-up at the end of the episode, there was a song playing in the background.  My wife thought it was "some INXS song".  Anyone else hear it?

ETA - She was right...Beautiful Girl by INXS

Edited by dogfish

I couldn't watch DD because we didn't have cable and I always felt left out when the kids at school would talk about it.

I love that Handsome Ben and Smart Amy were really on DD and that they played the recruiters.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 12

Loved Double Dare as a kid, even though I was born in 87 and watched the 90's version Family Double Dare. Loved watching Pops on the course and seeing the obstacles. Thought it was great the real Ben and Amy had cameos!

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Love 3

I love that Handsome Ben and Smart Amy were really on DD and that they played the recruiters.

That was great -- I totally wasn't expecting that!  I loved this episode....all the plots were strong.  Some of it hit a little close to home -- my husband commented during the World Series last fall that the Mets always started blowing it when I would wander into the room. 

• Love 4

At the beginning of the show Berry says Positively that The Eagles need a turn over a touch down a 2 point conversion Bah Blah Blah....  That's great except the 2 Point Conversion wasn't adopted by the NFL till the Mid 90's   

• Love 5

Did anyone else have Double Dare recruit at their school? They came to my school in 6th grade. I specifically remember this because you had to be at least 12 to audition, and I was one month shy of my 12th birthday. The teachers had already selected the teams that were going to audition. But at my school there were 2 groups of multiple teams that got to audition. The first group auditioned for Double Dare. The group I got to watch auditioned for Finders Keepers. They didn't bring any of the obstacle course or slime like they did on the Goldbergs. They had to answer some trivia questions, and then the physical challenges were things like wheel barrow races or carrying cotton balls with a spoon. After the teams were chosen, we all got to go to the Channel 12 studio to watch the filming (where they filmed in Philly before they moved production to Orlando. ) It was such a fun experience! And for the poor souls that couldn't audition and were relegated to the audience, at the end of the show they threw the camera on us and we all got to act crazy so we could get on TV. It was a great experience!

• Love 9

Awwwww I love that Ben and Amy really were on Double Dare, AND they got the grown up, real Ben and Amy to play the recruiters! It always makes me happy to see how much of this show is based on real life. 

This show has the weird tendency to make me nostalgic for a decade that I wasn't even around for (born at the tail end of 89), but I finally have convinced my parents to watch. They now love it, and are constantly texting me during the show about all the memories it brings back. 

• Love 3

At the beginning of the show Berry says Positively that The Eagles need a turn over a touch down a 2 point conversion Bah Blah Blah....  That's great except the 2 Point Conversion wasn't adopted by the NFL till the Mid 90's   

Confirm Adam really doesn't have a strong grip on sports.

Man, the nostalgia this show continues to stir up...

I forgot how much I loved Double Dare as a kid!

I grew up in So Cal, so nope, they never came by our school recruiting. We did try to make our own obstacle course in our backyard though. Which resulted in some serious chewing out by my stepdad over flooding it (we didn't have slime, so we used water....LOTS of water).

As others have stated, it really is awesome how much this show is based on reality (Ben and Amy), though good catch on the 2 point conversion. I consider myself an NFL fanatic, yet didn't catch that.

This is by far my favorite show on TV right now.

• Love 1

Loved this episode despite never having heard of or ever watched Double Dare! Prior to this episode, I was seriously thinking of not watching this show any more as much as I used to love it.  This season so far seemed to be way more focused on Beverly being a "Smother".  It was veering into the same formula week after week of Beverly does something awful that embarrasses her family all in the name of "loving" them so much.  This episode reminded me of the first season that made me so much of a fan that I convinced my friends and family to watch the show.  It had Adam and Pops together (always my favorite pairing), Coach, Muscles Mersky, Dave Kim, and just the right amount of Murray, Barry, and Erica.  Beverly was still a big part of the plot, but this time it was more about her wanting to understand and like something Murray loved. Even though I never saw "Double Dare", I still thought it was great that they included Handsome Ben and Other Amy as the casting crew from the show.  My favorite line was when the short friend of Barry's said when asked why he didn't tackle Beverly, "I didn't know where to touch her"!

• Love 2

By all accounts I should love this show.  It's my era and I like the music a lot.  I also like Pops, Murray and the dog.  And that's about it.  I can tolerate Adam, Erica's beginning to get more on my nerves as the show goes on (I hate know-it-alls), Barry is too over the top for me and, finally, I can't stand the smother Beverly.  She's just too much.  I mean way, way, way too much.  She makes my skin crawl.

Yet, I still watch most of the time for some bizarre reason lol.

• Love 2

What's really shocking, I remember those kids on Double Dare. My school was told about the try outs in IL to go to filming during the summer. My name was put in with several others, but another school was chosen to participate. They however, never made it past the final round. Great episode, my wife of course saw only a few episodes. She didn't have cable growing up, but does remember the season it was on our local Fox network. I also loved Finder's Keepers. I completely understood Murray's situation, my uncle is the same way. However, he let his daughter become a football fan, but his wife's thing was crafts. 

• Love 1

Yeah, a bit of an eye roller there. That said, to fanwank it we can say that it's yet another aspect of Narrator Adam telling these stories subjectively, where the show pretty much admits what we are seeing is some kind of mixed-together melange of memories compacted into re-tellings that aren't really bound by accuracy.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2