Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I just found this thread and you all are so funny. My sister use to watch and I remember a story she told me. This is an old episode so you may have discussed this already.

Anyway, she saw an episode where Ree made a "low carb" dish. I think shepard's pie(?)......topped with mashed potato. My sister was laughing "Does she even know what carb is?!" 

I don't really remember what the dish was, but the gist of the story is there.

eta: Hope I got the right show. I know my sister use to talk about Ree's food a lot.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, grisgris said:

Why the ever-lovin' need to suck up to Chuck? The only thing I can think of is to edge Missy out of any chance of #1 D-I-L spot or to ensure a generous inheritance for Ladd. Otherwise, I don't get it and it happens far too often. I realize that there are few people in the rotation for being recipients of food offerings, but there is just an undertone here that seems a little too eager to please. Honey, if the don't accept you now after 20-odd years, why bother?

I've often wondered why she kisses Chuck's ass so much, and I believe you've nailed it.  Something tells me Ladd's family doesn't care for her too much.   I've definitely noticed Nan (her mother in law) have some odd looks for her over the years.  Haven't noticed much warmth there.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

I've often wondered why she kisses Chuck's ass so much, and I believe you've nailed it.  Something tells me Ladd's family doesn't care for her too much.   I've definitely noticed Nan (her mother in law) have some odd looks for her over the years.  Haven't noticed much warmth there.

She kisses Ladd's parents and grandmother's asses. Not so much Ladd's brother and Missy. I bet that family rolls their eyes at her as much as we do. They seem like the salt of the earth types who can spot a phony a mile away.

• Love 1

In some unmemorable episode, Nan sat on Ree's sofa with a group of people, absolutely cracking up with laughter, and I could hardly believe my eyes.  She actually looked attractive.  Other than brief smiles here and there, she gives the impression of hating Ree.  No smiles, no warmth whatsoever.  It must be hard to have a famous, wealthy young woman constantly trying to please your husband, and Chuck does a good job of flattering Ree, too.  As fond as I am of Chuck, sometimes it strikes me that he and Ree are two of a kind.

• Love 1

In today's edition of 16 minute "wonders" Ree was waxing rhapsodic about those few years when she was obsessed with Mac and Cheese and Grilled Cheese sandwiches. I can only assume those few years were her vegetarian phase.

I don't think I've ever seen that much cheese on a grilled cheese before. Made my modestly lactose intolerant stomach nauseous just looking at it.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, SanLynn said:

In today's edition of 16 minute "wonders" Ree was waxing rhapsodic about those few years when she was obsessed with Mac and Cheese and Grilled Cheese sandwiches. I can only assume those few years were her vegetarian phase.

I think it was her stoner phase.

• Love 4

Those recipes were all assembly jobs except for the pork chops which actually didn't look terrible. Do we really need to see a cooking show host demonstrate how to make a grilled cheese sandwich?  When I saw Ree grating the Parmesan, my first thoughts of horror were that she was going to attempt to make a grilled cheese sandwich using frico as the crusts.

I'm tying comments about Hy made in the snark thread.  I truly think that this woman hates Ree. When Hy and her D-I-L to-be were making the long dusty trip up the Drummond's drive, Hy's unenthusiastic downright snarky remarks were priceless and so fake.

I'm completely paraphrasing here but it went along the lines of something like this:

"I'm always up for a working dinner! I wonder what we're having?'

Awkward silence.

"Well ... um ... Ree always surprises me with something .... delicious."  <crickets.>  "Good thing we're having WINE!"

So meanwhile, Ree was aiming to beat the clock and served shrimp sauteed in a can of Old El Paso enchilada sauce with a pat of butter and a dollop of smirk, "because I CAN," she informed us smugly. To top the shrimp tacos was a slaw that consisted of two colors of cabbage and a jalapeno drowned in a dressing of mayo, milk sugar and a quarter teaspoon of cayenne. Ree explained that she starts all of her salad dressing with a creamy base and added one teaspoon of sugar to "cut the heat." (That one left me scratching my head.) Hy and Ree greeted each other with a lukewarm hug and the DIL declined to eat very much citing, "wedding diet." Meanwhile, Hyacinth headed straight for the win. I wonder if the chilliness is because Ree now is Hyacinth's boss -- more or less.

The take-away line of the day went to Todd. When he and his friend were helping Ree assemble the pepperoni chicken, Todd said his food groups were: Meat, cheese and sugar." Mom just gave a proud smile. So there you have it. Ree's work on this planet is complete.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, grisgris said:

The take-away line of the day went to Todd. When he and his friend were helping Ree assemble the pepperoni chicken, Todd said his food groups were: Meat, cheese and sugar." Mom just gave a proud smile. So there you have it. Ree's work on this planet is complete.

I love pepperoni & I love chicken just not together. I will try to be polite, but if Ree lived in NJ she would not be a popular person combining them together.

• Love 1

Did I actually witness the clown make a grilled cheese and something with chicken and pepperoni that looked like it was straight off the Ragu jar?

What's next folks? Ice water.  Buttered saltine crackers.  Oh wait...

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

How to boil water....

Back in the day, FN had that show & the guy that did it was much more talented & charming than Ree.

• Love 3

HUH?  How to make a grilled cheese sandwich???  The bread was as white and as untoasted as it was before she grilled it!  And cheese grated all over the OUTSIDE???  Then Ree has the nerve to joke about the kids' mothers when their kids come home greasy after eating at the ranch!  No mouths were watering at my house over chicken topped with cheese and pepperoni.  This show was a misfit brought to us by misfits.  I was sorry I wasted my time watching it.  Ree is bad and getting badder.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, grisgris said:

Hy and Ree greeted each other with a lukewarm hug and the DIL declined to eat very much citing, "wedding diet." 

Smart girl to not waste her precious calories on frozen shrimp boiled in canned enchilada sauce.  You could have used those poor little shrimp as hockey pucks by the time they were finished boiling on her industrial strength cooktop.   She'd probably prefer to go home and have a nice slice of avocado toast and a cup of tea.

Hy's another one who needs some fashion help. That hair of hers is like she's...trying too hard.  

• Love 2

I absolutely LOVE shrimp in tacos (well, all ways but that is for another day).   Those tacos were revolting.  Absolutely disgusting.  I cannot believe she actually served those AND expected praise for them.   I would have joined Hy and had wine instead.

I just saw a repeat of the tea-less "Afternoon Tea" episode where she made what she kept calling "ham and leek mini-quiches" in mini-muffin tins. But there was no crust of any kind, so weren't they really mini-FRITTATAS?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, J-Man said:

I just saw a repeat of the tea-less "Afternoon Tea" episode where she made what she kept calling "ham and leek mini-quiches" in mini-muffin tins. But there was no crust of any kind, so weren't they really mini-FRITTATAS?

I think this woman could call a banana a kumquat and no one would care.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

I don't think the rubes that idolize her would care.

• Love 1

I have always thought that there is a lot of laughing in the closet when Hye talks about Ree at home.  I don't think that Hye and her husband care for Mexican food much.  They once kidded Ree about the first meal Ree served them -- some Mexican concoction, which made Hye laugh uproariously but not Ree.  Then Ree presented a big platter of food for their next visit and, sure enough, it was Mexican again. 

I'm not all cracked up about Hye, but I must say, she gives a whole new meaning to the word "sneer."  She doesn't have to say a word.  That sneer tells the whole story.

Hye working for Ree.  Not a good idea, IMHO.  Oil and water if you catch my drift.

Sayyyyyy, I wonder if Hye can proofread.

• Love 2
On 5/7/2017 at 2:08 PM, tabloidlover said:

I want to know how much Ree pays Hy.....  It can't be nearly enough

There was one episode where she said over and over again she pays her nothing.  Personally I think that comment was for the tax man and she is paid WELL under the table.  It may be that I am just suspicious by nature but I suspect some creative accounting would have bubbled up by now if the Drummonds were not politically connected.  According to some article it seems to have helped with some of the crazy driving the habits of Ladd and his brother.

On 5/7/2017 at 4:15 PM, ariel said:

I love pepperoni & I love chicken just not together. I will try to be polite, but if Ree lived in NJ she would not be a popular person combining them together.

All I could think of was the movie Seems Like Old Times and Aurora's Chicken Pepperoni.  

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

Now, now that's a bit harsh. Ree might call a jalapeno a kumquat, but not a banana. I don't think she allows bananas in the house being as how she constantly reminds us that she hates bananas. :)

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

All I could think of was the movie Seems Like Old Times and Aurora's Chicken Pepperoni.  

LOL That's exactly what I was thinking of when reading through these posts. That movie cracked me up, especially the dinner party.

My DVR caught "the best ever" episode today. Salmon in scrambled eggs, everything and it's brother in a grilled cheese sandwich.... not to mention all the other bests. Boots, calves, even Bricey's dimples made an appearance.

I think my eyes might have rolled so far in my head I passed out for a minute.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, SanLynn said:

LOL That's exactly what I was thinking of when reading through these posts. That movie cracked me up, especially the dinner party.

My DVR caught "the best ever" episode today. Salmon in scrambled eggs, everything and it's brother in a grilled cheese sandwich.... not to mention all the other bests. Boots, calves, even Bricey's dimples made an appearance.

I think my eyes might have rolled so far in my head I passed out for a minute.

That movie is hilarious!  I admit I watched this episode hoping I could finally see what this chicken pepperoni was since the movie never really showed it.

Her grilled cheese sammie looked like it had way too much cheese and I LOVE cheese!  It reminded me of when I went to a restaurant (Marmalade I think) and ordered that and a bowl of soup.  The one and only time I had to take cheese OFF of something.  I didn't think that was possible.

• Love 1
On 5/7/2017 at 5:08 PM, tabloidlover said:

I want to know how much Ree pays Hy.....  It can't be nearly enough

It can't be just money. More of a hostage situation,  I'm guessing. Ree's got somebody Hy loves locked down on the back forty. 

• Love 6
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, peacheslatour said:

Now, now that's a bit harsh. Ree might call a jalapeno a kumquat, but not a banana. I don't think she allows bananas in the house being as how she constantly reminds us that she hates bananas. :)

I'd actually prefer that she call a jalapeno a kumquat because her pronunciation of jalapeno is nails-on-a-chalkboard to me.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, J-Man said:

I've never heard a busboy referred to as a "porter." Is that a thing these days? Maybe it's the gender-neutral version for the  job? 

I thought a porter is the person that helps you with your luggage when you check into a hotel.

• Love 4
On 4/28/2017 at 2:04 PM, lucygoose said:

Just curious if anyone has made potato salad by mashing their potato's like Ree did in her old episode today?  I've only had/made it using small diced potatoes, and I'm not sure eating cold mushed potatoes sounds appealing to be honest, but I was wondering if that type of salad was popular in certain parts of the country, just not in the northern states?

My mother in law, now ruined with Alzheimer's, used to make the world's best potato salad.  Then, long before the Alzheimer's got hold of her, she changed her recipe for reasons unknown to me and started doing the almost mashed thing.  Not only that, but she started wanting to serve it room temperature rather than cold.  It always seemed to me the perfect bacteria growing temperature.  Blechhh!

• Love 2

Great.  Now the poor Drummond kids are indentured to the Merc as well as the Ranch.  Good thing they're homeschooled; wouldn't want all that school learnin' gettin' in the way of all their workin'.

• Love 7

So, is this what this show is turning into now; thinly-veiled advertisements for The Merc(antile) every week?  People (i.e. her rabid fanbase) seem to be absolutely loving this place.  It has a 4.8 rating on Google and a 4/5 on Yelp.  One reviewer calls it "Anthropologie meets Cracker Barrel."  High praise, indeed.  

• Love 5

As someone else said, "Poor little Todd!"  I'm all for kids learning the value of a dollar, but when I saw Todd all dressed up, hauling dirty dishes into the kitchen, I got tears in my eyes.  It seems like work never ends for those kids from sun up to bedtime.  Then, I made the mistake of reading Ree's most recent blog in which she writes SERIOUSLY about the advantages of having children.  The first is sex, and the second is having help with all of the ranch chores.  Those  kids seem to do nothing but work except for tossing a ball around outside once in a while.  I'd like to see all ranch kids like the Drummonds subjected to abiding by a special child labor law dealing with farmers and ranchers.  Oh yes, and if the kids don't want to work, Ree threatens not to make donuts anymore, and that usually solves it.  What a sweet mom, raised as a member of the country club set!  

• Love 6

Reminds me of Lavoy Finicum, one of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge standoff morons. He had a bunch of foster children on his ranch. He made no income from the ranch but he did make over $100,000.00 a year from the state for the kids. He was using the kids as unpaid ranch hands. He lost his entire income after the state took the kids.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lura said:

As someone else said, "Poor little Todd!"  I'm all for kids learning the value of a dollar, but when I saw Todd all dressed up, hauling dirty dishes into the kitchen, I got tears in my eyes.  It seems like work never ends for those kids from sun up to bedtime.  Then, I made the mistake of reading Ree's most recent blog in which she writes SERIOUSLY about the advantages of having children.  The first is sex, and the second is having help with all of the ranch chores.  Those  kids seem to do nothing but work except for tossing a ball around outside once in a while.  I'd like to see all ranch kids like the Drummonds subjected to abiding by a special child labor law dealing with farmers and ranchers.  Oh yes, and if the kids don't want to work, Ree threatens not to make donuts anymore, and that usually solves it.  What a sweet mom, raised as a member of the country club set!  

I'm no fan of Ree that's for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn the kids aren't actually there as much as she claims they are, we know how much of Ree's life is fake, why would this be any different?  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, captain1 said:

I hate cold potato salad.   When my mom made her potato salad (lots of mustard,  pickles,  hard boiled eggs,  celery  and mayonnaise), I'd only eat it as soon as she made it. The potatoes and eggs were still kind of warm Mmmm!  loved it. I don't make a lot of potato salad but when I do I eat it when it is  still warm. I don't touch it once it's chilled. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Lura said:

I get what you're saying, but I'm not quite ready to shed any tears for Todd quite yet. I was pretty certain that his earnest busboy performance was just that.  It seemed very staged to me.  When you think about it, Todd literally grew up in front of a camera so he's quite used to it and knows how to ham it up when he needs to.  He seems like he enjoys it the most of all of the kids.

And while I believe that the kids do pitch in and help on the ranch, I seriously doubt that they are out working from sunrise to sunset as Ree portrays them. I always felt that most, if not all, of the chores out in the fields were just too dangerous for have a bunch of small kids underfoot. I recall from some of the very early episodes where Ladd seemed so distracted by keeping an eye on his brood that it was difficult for him to explain whatever it was they were doing. Bottom line: I think the kids pitch in and help to a limited extent but the Drummonds have plenty of hired hands around to do the heavy lifting.

I don't ever read Ree's blog unless I'm forced to when skimming through one of her recipes but her comments cited above sound very "desperate housewife." Seriously. She and Ladd are about the un-sexiest couple I've ever seen. I can't even imagine and don't want to try. I do get the impression though that Ree is the aggressor in their bedroom life.  It's probably safe to say that she gets plenty of, "Ah, honey. Not tonight. I'm too tired from (insert excuse.)" He probably truly is often too tired, but ... BLERGHH!!  Pass the brain bleach!!!

• Love 6
On 5/15/2017 at 10:32 AM, imjagain said:

I hate cold potato salad.   When my mom made her potato salad (lots of mustard,  pickles,  hard boiled eggs,  celery  and mayonnaise), I'd only eat it as soon as she made it. The potatoes and eggs were still kind of warm Mmmm!  loved it. I don't make a lot of potato salad but when I do I eat it when it is  still warm. I don't touch it once it's chilled. 

Wow, same for me, and my daughter now as well!

On 4/29/2017 at 6:26 AM, Lura said:

When a friend in Ohio makes a big batch of potato salad, she chops boiled potatoes and adds about a tablespoon of sweet pickle relish to the mix.  Miracle Whip is her dressing of choice.  The potato salad is actually very good   The relish is chopped so finely that when it's stirred into a big bowl, you barely know it's there, but it adds a touch of brightness to the salad.  Since I love the taste of dill in potato salad, I made my friend's recipe with dill pickle relish, and I had quite a few compliments.  I think that food trends across the country might make an interesting book if it hasn't already been written.

I'm from the South (but live in CA now), and Duke's Mayo was the staple of  a mighty good potato salad.  I cannot buy that brand out here, but I do have family that ships it to me.  I add relish, finely diced onions, and boiled eggs to mine, also.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, captain1 said:

@film noire she used to use chunks of potato, Duke's mayo, chopped hard boiled eggs, celery, radishes (the secret weapon and crunch factor) and sweet pickle relish - so yummy! And served COLD!

Sounds delicious - I've never included radishes, I might have to try that -- a bit of peppery bite as well as crunch (and COLD!) 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, captain1 said:

@film noire she used to use chunks of potato, Duke's mayo, chopped hard boiled eggs, celery, radishes (the secret weapon and crunch factor) and sweet pickle relish - so yummy! And served COLD!

Lol. Whenever I'd offer to make potato salad for a family do, my mom would say okay but make sure you add radishes!

• Love 2

I think we don't get Duke's brand of mayo out here on the West Coast, but I could be wrong.  Are you Dukes users all on the East Coast?  It's a little confusing about brand names.  Hellman's, for instance, is sold east of the Mississippi and -- same stuff -- is called Best Foods mayo in the western part of the country.  That's the brand I like, but I'd be curious to try Dukes.

• Love 2