Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I have to say that there are times when I want to throw a kitchen towel at the TV set when Ree's shows are on.  The word "love" is beginning to nauseate me, and it's used for people, cheese, red peppers, Mason jars and all sorts of things.  In fact, I think it's used for EVERYTHING!  Banish love, Ree, or we'll hold a boycott of your show.

Closely related:  "the _____ will love this!"  The girls, the boys, the cowboys, Edna-Mae, friends, church supper people, 4th of July gang, you name it -- they'll all love whatever Ree is cooking.  Barf!

Word overusage:  love, quintessential, bunch of, glorious, heavenly, move/moving forward, "Hi, guys!", cuppa (as in "a cuppa milk"), haffa cuppa, BFF, workin' the cattle, a little heat, etc., etc.

Most aggravating, personally:  "Where shall I hide this so the kids don't find it and eat it first?"  Who goes around hiding things?  I'd never remember where I put it!  No, Ree, you don't hide things (especially food) from the kids.  Instead, you make the following announcement at your supper table:  "I baked a cake/pie/cookies today for _______.  It's in the Mason jar cupboard.  If anyone so much as takes one bite of it or one little spoon of the frosting, I will personally see to it that they will eat with the cattle tomorrow!  Is that clear?"     

Edited by Lura
  • Love 4

I agree with both of you.  All three words need to be banned!  I'm wondering, too, whether I meant to write "divine" when I meant to write "divine" when I wrote "heavenly."  I think so.

As I recall, she says something about it being "an important part of grass management." I'm sure she herself has no idea why they do it. She's never struck me as someone who knows or cares much about the daily goings-on. As far as I know, when it comes to prairie, it's true that fire helps, as opposed to hurts, but I'm not going to bother googling the reason.

I guess it's a small thing, but for example, she says they're "movin' cattle around." To me that sounds like they're just randomly pushing them here and there, as opposed to moving them from point A to point B. But there's little she does or says that doesn't irk me, which I freely acknowledge. It's all such a put-on.

She's adopted so many Ina-isms, I think she decided to make herself the "Down-home Ina," figuring there was a niche to fill.

But hey, sounds like the cookware will hit Walmart soon!

Edited by Hildegard802

I'd tune in to watch Ladd explain cattle farming and them show us some grilled food.  In fact, I'd prefer it to watching Ree.  My breaking point came last weekend when she squealed "Cookies too!" when delivering the food for the taco bar for the fence fixin'.  The regisetr of her voice was so high that I could barely hear it, yet I'm sure every dog in the 'hood perked their ears up. 

• Love 2

Sorry, can't get behind the idea of a Ladd show.  He has too much a Village of the Damned vibe.  Those eyes!  I do like him in small doses, though.  And that article was very well-written.  The man knows his business.

• Love 1

It just would be nice to know what is really written by whom, and how much is written/done by ghosts.  She puts on the appearance she's cookin'  three squares and snacks for family (and often all the ranch hands) on the daily, plus running her blog by herself, which includes all the photography, plus running her FB page plus writing cookbooks, plus trotting out cookware, plus going on tours, plus homeschooling . . .  Makes it very difficult for me to believe anything she/they say.

• Love 7

So Edna Mae is Ladd's paternal grandmother?  I always thought she was Ladd's father's sister or something.  So if she was in her 90's now, that would make Ladd's father in his 70's.  I guess all that time outdoors tending cattle, ranchin', and smoking probably has made him look and sound older than he is.

All I can imagine after Ree and Paige left is Edna Mae thinking...."WTF am I supposed to do w/ all this?"

So whenever Ree says she has made crackers, does that mean she just takes store bought crackers and dip them in butter and seasoning?  Seriously?!

That cabbage casserole looked horrible.  To think Ree actually didn't go the full nasty with it by adding the cream of mushroom soup.

I do think if you are making a care package for someone using their personal recipe that you probably shouldn't try to "elevate" it, you stick to what the original recipe calls for, warts and all.

I know that Ree was thinking Edna Mae would eat it and have leftovers, but that was enough food for an army.

I loved seeing Paige in the kitchen and pitching in, but come on Ree...we aren't stupid, we know you pulled her in from her studies to make your show come together.  Instead she should have had Edna Mae in the kitchen talking about her life and showing us recipes she made.

Edna Mae gets a pass for that gack-worthy rendition of escalloped cabbage simply because she's lovely and older and deserves a pass for these kinds of things.  But Ree?  No.  The beauty shot of it on the Food Network site shows it with that super-shiny, plasticine sheen that only Cheez Wiz, Kraft singles, and Velveeta can produce.  <barf>

Escalloped cabbage is really delicious and, really, if you're going to go to the bother of making a bechamel base you might as well follow through with natural cheese and a nice crumb topping of some sort.  Come to think of it, I'm surprised Ree didn't crush up some Ritz to go on it.  Or, going with the Mexican theme, how about some crushed Doritos?  Olé!

And yes, if I were making someone's recipe for them I would stick to it and not modify it.  But as Edna Mae and we all know, this is fiction.  Behind the scenes Edna is probably muttering about how much tastier it would have been if she'd simply used the cream of chicken soup!

Ree has made that type of cracker for Edna Mae before, who must love them.  It's sweet.  Last time, if I recall, they were simply buttered and toasted in the oven.  I've never seen anyone do that to saltines, but basic, buttered saltines rock so I would think they're just fine toasted in the oven.  I don't think I'd care for them with additional seasoned salt on them, just because they'd be way too salty.

• Love 1

The repeat of Paige's sleepover was on this weekend, and Ree seemed to be horning in on the girls' time all day. She only made some raw veggie wraps and a couple of other recipes not worth mentioning. 

I liked her other show, though, baking with Paige.  She seems like a sweet girl.  I get the feeling that Ree needs some playmates.  You couldn't pay me to live her life.

I get the feeling that Ree needs some playmates.

I agree, and it probably explains why she started her blog and everything that comes from it.  I would guess she gets really lonely out there while the menfolk are out doing their daily work.  I'm not saying she doesn't have friends or whatnot, but that just living in the middle of nowhere at least 30 min or more from town means you don't just have friends that popover for a friendly chat, plus they probably have jobs of their own.  I'm wondering what she will do once Paige heads off for college as well, b/c we all know the boys aren't going to want to pal around with her all day.  I guess the explains why she has renovated the building in Pawhuska and is setting up shop there.  I feel sick to my stomach that i'm having some compassion for Ree....I think I need to go lay down.

I was watching the repeat where she went to the homecoming parade and football games.  I'm confused as to how her boys are able to play on the local sports team since they are homeschooled.  The football team looked like it was school-connected/pee-wee league.  Although, I do remember seeing the jerseys all had the boys last name on the team, so i'm thinking the Drummonds bought their boys onto the team by sponsoring them somewhat.

• Love 2

After seeing a little bit of Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show this weekend, I think this little cowgirl will be headed for greener pastures...

Not sure how to interpret this Qoass. Do you mean that Valerie will kick Ree out of the top spot on FN's down home cooking list or vice versa?

Aug 24 2015. 12:11 pm

Neither.  Just that I would be moving on from Ree to Val.

To each his own, I suppose.  If I had a choice between the two, I'd stick with Ree.  Val is too "cutesy" for me, and I get the feeling that she's still stuck in that old show where she played the daffy little daughter.  Her food struck me as "easy Ree."  I've only seen the one episode, but the food seemed like something that junior high girls could make.  Very simple.  I have nothing against Valerie, but for me, Ree's show is much more interesting.

• Love 1
I was watching the repeat where she went to the homecoming parade and football games.  I'm confused as to how her boys are able to play on the local sports team since they are homeschooled.  The football team looked like it was school-connected/pee-wee league.  Although, I do remember seeing the jerseys all had the boys last name on the team, so i'm thinking the Drummonds bought their boys onto the team by sponsoring them somewhat.

Not sure how it works in Pawhuska, but here in NJ home-schooled children are permitted to participate in the school system's extra-curricular activities. 

• Love 2

I caught part of an episode today when waiting for Farmhouse Rules (the one where Ree makes a pancake bar). She's frying up sausage and it's the pre-package pre-formed patties one gets at the grocery store and it just irritated me. She calls herself "The Pioneer Woman." She doesn't have a 9 to 5 job; she's the stay-at-home wife of a multimillionaire rancher. She has a team of people to do all the things that she fronts as doing all on her own. Why is she not grinding up her own sausage? Why is she so dedicated to making quick meals and using shortcuts? 

Gah. Farmhouse Rules was like a salve after that PW episode.

• Love 4

She's frying up sausage and it's the pre-package pre-formed patties one gets at the grocery store and it just irritated me. She calls herself "The Pioneer Woman." She doesn't have a 9 to 5 job; she's the stay-at-home wife of a multimillionaire rancher. She has a team of people to do all the things that she fronts as doing all on her own. Why is she not grinding up her own sausage? Why is she so dedicated to making quick meals and using shortcuts? 

Or at least buy the sausage in bulk & make her own patties.  I've never understood why anyone would want to pay a manufacturer to make sausage or hamburger patties -- surely anyone can do this at home without any real effort or fear of failure?  Maybe the same people who buy the packages of peeled hard-boiled eggs at Trader Joe's?   

• Love 3

Reminds me of the Heartland (?) show that I love......at least she travels and gets the best meats (cheese, etc) and she would have had sausages linked and crafted.

So odd...being multimillionaires (one with a cooking show) that one does this (not homemade or crafted (for lack of a better word) when there is internet....like the one her blog is on.

I know it sounds elitist, and I am not one.....but it does seem cheaper to make your own sausage than buy Banquet, ie. Because as we're told they are in the middle of nowhere and I don't remember her visiting any local purveyors of any sort.

I lived in the middle of nowhere once & we were hard-pressed to find a grocery store.  Instead, neighbors who grew vegetables, raised & butchered livestock, milked cows & goats, gathered eggs from chicken & geese, tended fruit & nut orchards & beehives, etc. traded goods & services with each other.  We did have to buy coffee & tobacco, & it was easier to buy flour & cornmeal than to grind it, but no one spent much money except for newspapers & gasoline & doctors.  Hard work, but it really was so much more satisfying than driving to the supermarket & buying mass-produced whatever.  I do miss it, though "Pioneer Woman" seems satisfied with her version.

• Love 1

My FIL used to raise pigs and steer.  There was a place that would slaughter and process the meat.  We made our own sausage patties all the time and we live in a smallish city-he had ten acres just outside of town.  Man, those sausages were delicious.  Shit, now I want sausage.

Reminds me of the Heartland (?) show that I love......at least she travels and gets the best meats (cheese, etc) and she would have had sausages linked and crafted.

So odd...being multimillionaires (one with a cooking show) that one does this (not homemade or crafted (for lack of a better word) when there is internet....like the one her blog is on.

I know it sounds elitist, and I am not one.....but it does seem cheaper to make your own sausage than buy Banquet, ie. Because as we're told they are in the middle of nowhere and I don't remember her visiting any local purveyors of any sort.

That's another thing. Nancy Fuller will visit orchards and other farms as well as antique stores and such frequently. It fits her schtick as being a farm girl descended from generations of farmers and using family recipes (or "rules"). Fuller herself is clearly wealthy, but it doesn't seem like she's putting on airs because she has that family history.

There's just such a disconnect between the schtick Ree Drummond wants to cultivate (a homesteading wife and mom of hard-working ranchers in an extremely rural area) and the reality (no different from the stay-at-home mothers in the wealthy suburb where I'm from). It's one of the reasons I stopped reading her blog (aside from the deletion of comments that aren't adulatory and downright sycophantic). It's all so artificial. 

• Love 3

No anneofcleves, unfortunately it was another birthday-themed episode, this time for the youngest, Todd.  

We did get a commercial for her line though during the episode, and she says it's only available online...which is good b/c we wouldn't want to have any of that mad-dashing/selling out and then flipping at extravagant pricing like happens at Target each year for their exclusive designers.

Do any of these "chefs" actually use their line of cookware on their programs?  The only one I can think of that has is Rachel Ray.  

I understand how it was supposed to be fun that everyone knew of the surprise party except for the birthday boy, but damned if I wasn't hoping that Todd was eventually going to become unhinged and start throwing a hissy fit that it's his birthday and he wants a party.  That is a must see tv moment that I would want to see!

The food actually looked good.  I just figured out how to make smashed burgers myself a few months back, and now that's the only way I will make burgers at home.

I would love to do the onion thing, but that's way too much work for what I want to do.

That brownie/sundae thing was a little over the top, but I guess you do that for family on their birthday.  I will admit that the pre-scoops of ice cream ready to go was pretty smart.

Ugh Ree....high fiving everyone of those kids was just uncomfortable to watch.  She really has no clue how dorky she is does she?  She overcompensates way too much.

I don't think I ever remember my friends all hugging me on my birthday like some of those boys were hugging on Todd.

• Love 4

Re the "on-line only" thing, some stores have had some of it in for at least a week. Maybe those stores missed the memo about holding out till the magic Sept 14 date, when Walmart wanted the stampede to start along with photos of long lines at the door. Although I guess if the store is open 24/7, it's going to be hard to capture long lines?

I didn't find this episode as annoying as I'd anticipated. The food was nothing new, about what you'd expect from Ree for a kid's birthday party.

WTH was Ree serving that sundae bar out of anyway? It looked like she's borrowed one of the barnyard feeding troughs.

I'm so glad that Todd has finally outgrown his scripted lines of "This is the bestest ever..." blah, blah, blah...

• Love 2

WTH was Ree serving that sundae bar out of anyway? It looked like she's borrowed one of the barnyard feeding troughs.

I noticed that too...the only thing I could think was that it was some sort of centerpiece (perhaps you put candles and foliage on) for a large dining room table that she repurposed into a giant ice cream sundae trough.

*** I did a search for ice cream sundae trough and on pinterest they show repurposed guttering b/c you know...why not?! ***

• Love 1

CMH1981, I saw the commercial, too!  Nice to see her stuff put together in the way Ree envisions it, because it firmly cements that I don't like any of it.  I know, I'm just mean.

This episode seems just like another episode she's had.  (I know, what a revelation,  AnneofCleves.)  The shot of them dipping the onion straws in fry sauce was just like another show.

Anyway, snore.  She has a nice family - that's the best part of it.  The trough of brownie sundae was actually pretty revolting to me.  It was way too much dessert for a crowd that size and looked like a total free for all.  

And you know, she really needs to watch it with the hair color, because if she goes anymore Bozo the Clown with it she's going to look like, well, Bozo the Clown.  Especially as she ages - she's going to need to tone that hair down or she's going to transition quickly from Bozo the Clown to Baby Jane.  Just sayin'.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

I hate nothing more than red hair on an older woman. I'm not saying that Ree's anyway near old, but still. On the heads I see around here, it always looks like rust. Red is a difficult color to hold to begin with, even with young, healthy hair. As your hair gets older and thinner, it just doesn't work very well and doesn't look very realistic. Take it from me, I know. I was a "ginger" for a couple of decades and just gave up and went back to my natural color. I was tired of the fading and constant upkeep.

I'm sure that Ree has the very best in professional hair care, but they need to tone down that color. It also doesn't help when she wears ugly flowy tops in clashing colors like fuchsia.

• Love 3

I'm sure that Ree has the very best in professional hair care, but they need to tone down that color. It also doesn't help when she wears ugly flowy tops in clashing colors like fuchsia.

I agree, grisgris.  She really stuck out at the table during yesterday's surprise birthday party show.  I normally don't care or notice things about appearance, but Ree is starting to become a caricature.  And my mind went to Baby Jane (this one's in color, friends).  

It's all more evidence that she has really nice kids.  Like really nice.  My kids are nice, and we're very close, but they are not nice enough that they wouldn't tell me, "Hey  mom, that hair.  You're kind of looking like a clown.  And those shirts - let's go shopping, OK?"  So Ree does get some major applause for raising nice kids.

After seeing her line of cookware, I'm convinced she's pulling a Sandra Lee and is trying to be a complementary color with her dishes.  I almost expect her to start driving custom-colored pickup trucks in orange and neon yellow to complement her hair and her dishes.

ETA:  I don't know if any of you saw some of her recent blog posts with Paige, who's looking so pretty, poised, and grown up.  And with a hair color that is more in the shade that Ree would honestly look terrific in.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 3

She's getting tired. No new ideas. I did receive an email from Walmart about her new line. When did it come out? There are reviews on some items already. Not really impressed with it. Hope it works for her.

Todd's birthday party.  I'm not sure how I felt about it.  I did feel that Todd was told to act sad and angry, and he did a fairly good job of it.  Did anyone else wish that Ree could find a new and different place for people to hide?  This crouching behind the counter is getting old.  I think I'd put everyone in the pantry and send Todd in for a can of tomatoes. 

Ree fooled me.  She kept talking about this six-foot sundae, and I could hardly wait to see her pile everything on top of each other, six-feet tall, without toppling over.  When she brought out the horses' trough, I got it!  I, too, thought how clever she was to freeze the ice cream scoops ahead of time.  For me, that was the best tip of the episode, provided that sometime I make a six-foot sundae.  I'd still like to try one six-feet tall.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

It was charming to see the kids bent over the trough sharing it and allowing ice cream from their spoon to mouths fall back in. And so nice to see the party guests waiting patiently for their turn at the trough after the first onslaught.

• Love 4

It was charming to see the kids bent over the trough sharing it and allowing ice cream from their spoon to mouths fall back in. And so nice to see the party guests waiting patiently for their turn at the trough after the first onslaught.

Dang! I don't watch the show. Ree is not my cup of tea but I do enjoy the commentary on this thread. Your imagery made me LOL. Thank you.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

I was kind of hoping Ree would forget to close the gate of the truck so when we see her and the gals take off for the "bestest picnic spot evah" that we see the food and supplies go falling out of the back of the truck.  I know...i'm pure evil.

I'm not sure if "giant chicken nuggets" were the best for picnic food, but they did look tasty.

I swear if I didn't know better I would think that Ree was angling for a mason jar sponsorship on her show as much as she mentions them as the best thing ever.

I was at my local Walmart this morning and thought I would see if they had any of the Pioneer Woman wares in the household section and it took me a little while to find it.  It was on an end-cap and already marked down for clearance.  Oh well...

• Love 1

I didn't pay much attention to today's episode after I saw that layered dessert that Ree was stuffing into Mason jars. I never understood the appeal of eating out of those. It seems like it would be hard to get a spoon down to the very bottom, especially with something like a parfait. But what do I know?

Tepid limp roasted vegetables don't look or sound appealing to me.

I've seen both Ina and Giada make that chicken with the arugula salad/shaved Parmesan piled on top.

I always feel bad when I see any of the Drummond clan struggling to eat against the whipping winds.

• Love 3

I always feel bad when I see any of the Drummond clan struggling to eat against the whipping winds.

No kidding!  Here friends.  Get in my unusually dirty (even by Drummond standards) truck and let's drive to the special spot where we can sit on rocky ground and try to eat something while keeping our hair out of our mouths.  It will be so fun!

The vegetables with dip looked good.  I eat cold or room-temp roasted vegetables all the time, on a salad or just plated with hummus or yogurt as a side (eaten with a fork, like a salad), often as a lunch.  Bonus if I have some leftover chicken from dinner the night before to go with it.

Chicken Milanese is one of my favorite go-to dinners, and Ree's version looked pretty good.  Honestly, it's the easiest thing in the world to make, so she'd have to try pretty hard to crap it up - like making it out of cubed steaks versus chicken cutlets.  (Maybe that's next week's show?)  I've played around with recipes over the years and really love it best when it's a little lighter and not double-dipped in the flour-breadcrumb mixture.  I like it coated with a light breading of panko (or unseasoned breadcrumb) with a little grated parm or romano mixed in.  It's also good baked if you're looking to lighten it up a bit - just spritz with olive oil and bake.

Ree's orzo salad kind of bored me, but I admit that Ina's recipe for orzo with roasted vegetables is the one I love.  It's pretty much perfect - and really simple.

And she is obsessed with tres leches cakes, is she not?  And Mason jars.  At least it wasn't in a trough this time...Given that she seemed to be trying to go somewhat Italian/Mediterranean with the meal (given the lack of cilantro in her orzo salad), I would have expected something like spumoni ice cream sandwiches, rolled in sprinkles.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

I thought that too about the mason jars being too tiny and hard to maneuver w/ a spoon to get the contents at the bottom.  

I also hoped that none of those ladies had an aversion to any of the ingredients.  I know some people can't stand coconut ( can't stand it ) or pineapple, but I guess you are just supposed to suck it up and eat it when you are around the chef.

• Love 1