Type keyword(s) to search

Omar Little: You Come at the King, You Best Not Miss

I am currently watching this show via Amazon Prime and I must say - I can't wait until there's a scene with Omar. I'm only in the middle of season 2. Michael K. Williams is doing (er...did) some brilliant work as Omar. The courtroom scene for Bird's trial had me glued to the laptop screen. Dude is definitely magnetic in this role. I had only seen him on "Community" before but I knew he was on this show. I feel like the professor might have been a cousin of Omar. 

• Love 4

I'm rewatching after a few years and this go-round (4 or 5, I think) I find myself really curious to know how Omar makes his friends. I'm in Season 2, so we do see that he and his boyfriend meet the girls they work with when they spot them basically doing what they were planning to do, so joining forces makes sense. But outside of those two, how does he link up with people? I'm not saying this is a flaw of the show, to be clear! I just wish it were a perfect world and we could now watch short films about how Omar met and got together with, say, each of his boyfriends. 

Also, that was a really hot love scene he had in early Season 2! Who is that actor who plays his fella? He looks familiar. Does he play Fin's son on SVU? Am I making this up?

• Love 2

Omar didn't shine for me until the thing with Butchie happened.  Then, he got me to really "feel" him.

My favorite character in the series ?  ...  That's going to take some thinking.  For the folks who like Omar best, who would they pick as their second favorite?

• Love 1

My favorite character in the series ?  ...  That's going to take some thinking.  For the folks who like Omar best, who would they pick as their second favorite?

Bubbles. 100% Bubbles. He's actually my favorite, then Omar, but to each his own.

• Love 6

Omar didn't shine for me until the thing with Butchie happened.  Then, he got me to really "feel" him.

Second favorite is harder to choose.  I like McNulty, when he wasn't being a drunken, cheating ahole.  I liked Kima until

she turned snitch on Jimmy and Lester

.  Bunny Colvin was probably the good guy who I most consistently liked.

As for the bad guys, though she was a horrible person, Snoop was one my favorites. I always got a kick out of her.  She was quirky, funny and a true professional. Her hardware store scene was one of my favorite lighter scenes. 

I also liked Michael because of how he cared for and looked out for Bug and Duquan and thought it was fitting that he

became the new Omar.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1

The courtroom scene for Bird's trial had me glued to the laptop screen. 

I robs drug dealas ... that wasn't no temp murder ... I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right

My favourite Omar scenes are the ones in Prop Joe's shop when he is planning to steal the re-supply. I love it when he makes Joe repair his clock.

And then he PAYS for it LOL

• Love 3

I loved Omar, every single second of him, but I found him slightly unbelievable.  Everyone was so terrified him, but no one thought to put a slug through his head from somewhere he didn't have eyes, for example when he was walking the streets in his PJs.  It seemed he was often outnumbered, but nobody could drop him? And then, of all things, he gets popped by a little kid?!   Seriously!  Don't get me wrong, I am glad he was there to enjoy, and the show wouldn't have been the same without him, but I think his credibility was stretched a bit.

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved Omar, every single second of him, but I found him slightly unbelievable. Everyone was so terrified him, but no one thought to put a slug through his head from somewhere he didn't have eyes, for example when he was walking the streets in his PJs. It seemed he was often outnumbered, but nobody could drop him? And then, of all things, he gets popped by a little kid?! Seriously! Don't get me wrong, I am glad he was there to enjoy, and the show wouldn't have been the same without him, but I think his credibility was stretched a bit.

But how do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 1
On 7/23/2015 at 6:10 PM, Fable said:

I loved Omar, every single second of him, but I found him slightly unbelievable.  Everyone was so terrified him, but no one thought to put a slug through his head from somewhere he didn't have eyes, for example when he was walking the streets in his PJs.  It seemed he was often outnumbered, but nobody could drop him? And then, of all things, he gets popped by a little kid?!   Seriously!  Don't get me wrong, I am glad he was there to enjoy, and the show wouldn't have been the same without him, but I think his credibility was stretched a bit.

Because he was a legend, almost like John Wick, and the average street banger is simply not going to take on Omar.  He walks out in his PJs to get some Honey Nut, but all the "street" sees is that Omar is coming, so they all run.  Hell, look at how Chris and Snoop are legitimately spooked after the incident at Monk's apartment, where Omar seems to just disappear from a 6th story apartment; I think Chris, as stone cold a sociopathic killer as can be, was kind of unsettled and called it some "Spiderman shit".  So if you're the average slinger or muscle and you saw Omar coming down the street... even if you have a gun, are you going to face him and hope you some how will do what hundreds of people failed to do before you?  

Even after he died, almost immediately- even though Marlo and crew knew the truth- the legend spreads, and suddenly Omar is said to be getting killed by multiple people with AK-47s, in a wild shoot-out, etc.  I recently rewatched the series yet again and finished season 5 a couple of days ago, and was struck by how the quickly spreading legend of Omar also tells us that those stories Stringer and Avon and others share of the guys from the "old days"  were probably similarly embellished as street folklore.  And we see the next generation in Michael, who was badass enough to go from middle-school student to getting the drop on Snoop in about a year.  Some day, the stories about Michael will ring out, and Omar will be a faded memory of a legend.

• Love 5

Also -- we like our legends.  Someone like Omar gives a neighborhood a repuation, cachet, and even knowing him can give a person some status.  The Barksdales had a reason to want Omar dead -- he hurt their business -- but for everyone else, he was almost a Robin Hood. 

• Love 3

I am watching the Wire now, and it is amazing tv.  Omar is a great mythological character, but it was jarring for me to see that scar, as I first watched Michael K. Williams playing another great character  Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire, sans scar.  A similar sort of mo,  Chalky is a black man in 1919 who runs his own bootlegging business,and has the back of the local politician and then getting his own speakeasy. .. unheard of for people like him in that period.  Similarly Omar is his own man,  robbing mobsters, exacting revenge whilst being an asset to the police department.  It is almost as if Omar was a time traveller, back to the Roaring 20s he would be Chalky, complete with spats and a sawed off...  Indeed. 

• Love 4

"The Wire" is without doubt one of the finest TV shows out there - regardless of genre; it has so many fascinating and eclectic characters that is difficult to digest and try to understand each and every one in just one sitting. But as fascinating as they all are, it is Omar that stands head and shoulders over all of them!

It is one of those strange paradoxes how one could be so attracted/supportive/endeared to such a gangster/killer, but Omar does it perfectly - or rather Michael K. Williams does!

He reminds me of a mixed up, latter-day Robin Hood - steals from the bad, but doesn't exactly help the poor/innocent! But at the same time he strikes fear in the streets of Baltimore, as if he was some mythical god that not even the likes Marlo, Stringer or Avon ever could. He wasn't immortal, and he wasn't always successful with his shoot-outs, but he had such a remarkable magnetism that you didn't care about his limitations.

But hey, it's all in the game!

• Love 2

I love Michael Kenneth Williams.  If you haven't watched him in Hap & Leonard, you should.  He is badass as Leonard Pine, a gay Vietnam vet in the 1980s whose best friend is draft dodger Hap (James Purefoy).

• Love 2