Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: New Season, New Rules

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

In the Season 6 premiere, Abby has a big announcement for the ALDC; and Maddie shoots her first movie while Jill and Kendall aren't pleased with her substitute. Elsewhere, Jeanette and the BDA team are back to show the ALDC how it's done.

This show is still on? Wow.

Why is it still on?

Who would sign their kid up for this?

Hasn't Maddie shot off to Hollywood in a blaze of glory? I haven't followed this show in years, but I swear I read a news article about her being a big star now.

And Isn't Abby in jail? Or going there soon?

I admit I'm curious to know which of the original crew is still there. Specifically Nia, because she never was dance superstar material and zero chance of her being a breakout star, so what's the point? Or has Abby changed her tune during my hiatus and started showcasing Nia?

• Love 1

This show is still on? Wow.

Why is it still on?

Who would sign their kid up for this?

Hasn't Maddie shot off to Hollywood in a blaze of glory? I haven't followed this show in years, but I swear I read a news article about her being a big star now.

And Isn't Abby in jail? Or going there soon?

I admit I'm curious to know which of the original crew is still there. Specifically Nia, because she never was dance superstar material and zero chance of her being a breakout star, so what's the point? Or has Abby changed her tune during my hiatus and started showcasing Nia?

No, Abbe is not showcasing Nia.  Since Paige and Chloe are gone, Nia is Abby's scapegoat now and Holly yells more.   Besides Nia, Maddie, Mackenzie, and Kendall are still there from the original girls.  I guess Kendall isn't one of the originals but she's been there longer than others.

OK - I need to get a life or win the lottery so I have some money to do other things - but I decided to watch some of the past episodes just because there was nothing better to do. I started with Season 1 - the first 2 episodes, Season 4 - the episodes right before Chloe left and Season 5 - the last couple of episodes and now the Australian trip -  I always thought that Abby was a bit nicer in the beginning - maybe to the girls but she was always a witch to the moms.

Melissa and her adulation of Maddie has not changed in 5 seasons - the first episode - she introduces her 2 girls - Maddie and McKenzie and after that it's always the Maddie show. We all love out kids - but Melissa's  love, fixation - whatever you want to call it - is scary - even for a mom.

I pretty much have always despised Abby but fell in love with all the girls - even if I preferred the underdogs - Chloe and now Nia / Jojo - but after watching the Australian trip again and seeing how not only Abby but the moms - speak, make fun of, exclude - Holly, Jess, Nia and Jojo - I'm surprised I ever watched the rest of the season.

As much as I will miss it - I hope we witness not only Abby's downfall but Melissa and Jill finally facing the hard reality of reality TV this season.

I wish I could say I won't even watch..but I know I will, at least at first. Many of these people are awful. I, too, don't know how I watched last season. I tried to watch the last few episodes on the Lifetime Apple TV app to remember what happened last season and I just kept skipping through because so many of the cast was insufferable. Especially Abby, she's just vile.

Edited by Rebecca

I'm not sure if the no moms allowed special is going to get its own topic or stay with this one since they are back to back, so mods I will happily move this if I need to.

Ok, I have been a longtime hold out on the "Maddie is a brat" train. I just never felt right judging her based on what were were shown, she's still a kid, and we know that she could be happy all the time and make one snide remark and that's what would be shown, I always gave her the benefit of a doubt, and what 13 year old isn't bratty once in a while... BUT, I was just watching the "no moms allowed" special... And I'm sorry but she was being a snotty brat. She was making snide remarks left and right, sure maybe she was having a bad day, maybe she was tired, and she is a teen so she is entitled to be in a bad mood, but to some degree she has to realize she is in a position where everybody is watching what she says/does, her fan base is mostly girls around her age and younger, and she is not setting a good example.

• Love 1

I'm not sure if the no moms allowed special is going to get its own topic or stay with this one since they are back to back, so mods I will happily move this if I need to.

Ok, I have been a longtime hold out on the "Maddie is a brat" train. I just never felt right judging her based on what were were shown, she's still a kid, and we know that she could be happy all the time and make one snide remark and that's what would be shown, I always gave her the benefit of a doubt, and what 13 year old isn't bratty once in a while... BUT, I was just watching the "no moms allowed" special... And I'm sorry but she was being a snotty brat. She was making snide remarks left and right, sure maybe she was having a bad day, maybe she was tired, and she is a teen so she is entitled to be in a bad mood, but to some degree she has to realize she is in a position where everybody is watching what she says/does, her fan base is mostly girls around her age and younger, and she is not setting a good example.

I watched it and thought Kendall and Mackenzie came off as the brattiest. Most of Maddie's snide comments were to Mackenzie and all siblings bicker like that at that age.

As for the episode itself, Abby is the such a bad sport. Complaining to the judges about taking too much time for setting up props? It didn't seem like it was that unreasonable amount of time. Janette's annoying too for copying the dance idea though.

Abby is annoying, but that goes without said.  Not only with the chairs taking up too much time to set up, but with her getting the camera phone out to get video of Jeannette.  If someone tried that with Abby, she scream and cry and say how unfair that was, and then take her shirt off so we can see her in her bra again.  That being said, I liked the bubble dance better than the  other group dance, but both were okay.

That was awful. Not only the fact that Abby is a teacher but just the episode. I pretty much dislike all the moms, none of the dances really thrill me anymore. I used to like watching the girls dance but it seems like Abby does the same type of lyrical solo dances and etc. And the group dances aren't even that cool. The concepts sound cool but then the result is..something I'm just like, "okay". 

I watched it and thought Kendall and Mackenzie came off as the brattiest. Most of Maddie's snide comments were to Mackenzie and all siblings bicker like that at that age.

As for the episode itself, Abby is the such a bad sport. Complaining to the judges about taking too much time for setting up props? It didn't seem like it was that unreasonable amount of time. Janette's annoying too for copying the dance idea though.

I wasn't paying 100% attention, so I could be blaming Maddie for something someone else said. I noticed the bickering between Maddie and makenzie, and I let that go, I have an older sister so I agree I just kinda chocked it up to being siblings... But the comment that really was kinda the last straw was when Jojo was talking about wanting to be at the top of the pyramid and said something about how the one time she was at the top she had to share it with Maddie, and Maddie said something along the lines of "I'm always at the top, I shared it with you".

This episode was awful, I agree about Abby following with her cell phone camera, why was that even necessary, there was a whole film crew, it honestly just made her look immature. And while I agree Abby was being obnoxious about it, it was taking a weirdly long amount of time to arrange the chairs.

I bet the moms who aren't Melissa are sure thinking twice about picking up to move to LA, now that Abby is not allowing them to do any other auditions, which was the whole point in moving out there.

If anyone has not seen the episode yet, do not make a drinking game out of them saying "Maddies making a movie" because you may not recover from the alcohol poisoning you inevitably will recieve.

• Love 1

I'm back...... with my commentary as I watch it the next morning so that I don't forget anything. I've said I've watched some of the past episodes as well as AUDC. I happened to catch the episode where Jojo was kicked off and was surprised to see Kalani and her hugging and crying with Jess in the background saying how they were best friends and yet now they hardly talk to each other and Kalani is all wrapped up with the Zieglers. They made a whole big deal about guardianship ect in terms of Melissa and Kalani. I personally would rather have Jess or Holly watch put for my child of I couldn't.

Abby now is pushing technique????? When that is what the moms have been saying about classes for the last year or so. Loved that Ashley called out Melissa on the back up dancer comment as I can just see and hear Melissa saying that in her arrogant weaselly little voice - and we wonder why the kids are bratty? I also still can't wrap my head around the idea that Jill thinks Kendall is the next Maddie. Sorry but right now Kalani is next in line. Unfortunately after watching the old episodes the last week - Jojo, Nia, Mac and Kendall are and probably always will be back up dancers! If opportunities present themselves. I don't really think Maddie will continue on the path she's on.  She's got everyone's attention now - but in 2 months - 1 yr - there will be another kid who blows everyone away in some way.

Just finished watching Gavin and Brynn's solo. I love Gavin and feel he's really grown in leaps and bounds - I enjoyed his performance. Brynn - is my new favorite - those long limbs and extensions - sorry but I think she's a much better dancer than Maddie. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. Will have to wait and sees who takes that one as I thought they tied and would not be able to choose a winner.

The Bubble Dance - I did like it very much - unfortunately with the costumes they wore - the masks made them look like belly dancers. Also I was so absorbed with watching Jojo - I don't even know what the other kids did if they weren't near the bubble.

OK - Abby complaining about timing and the props - all a set - up after the original competition. Check the size of the audience - if they are going to stage things - please make it a little more believable!  Personally - I loved that presentation of the waiting room better than Abby's. Abby's version left me with too many questions - trying to figure out who everyone was supposed to be ect..Gavin's race across the chairs and then the lift - wonderful.

A little surprised at the group results but not knowing how much they penalized Jeannette's team ( if they did) - that group could have actually beat Abby. Looks to be an interesting year - although we know the previews are never what we expect them to be!

Wow, hardly anyone cares based on the number of comments. I barely care myself.

I'm already sick of Maddie but I thought the purple romper thing she wore on the No Moms species was cute and seemed like a good choice to dance in. Mackenzie and Kalani also looked cute on that special.

I'm not a fan of the way Nia dresses now that she "slays" ... It's like weird baby biker dominatrix style. The only thing I ever agreed with Abby on..the fact that Holly and Nia pretty much "sold out" and completely changed Nia's image. It's different than playing a character...your character isn't you and Nia is going out there as Nia not a dog or whatever, not the same thing.

A lot has been said about Kira as a parent by Abby..but the worst parenting choice I've seen is having Melissa take guardianship of her daughter to film this show. Melissa is the worst. I guess maybe no one else said they would? Why else would it be Melissa?

Kendall remains a bore. People refer to Kendall Jenner as Kendull but I I always think it fits this Kendall more because she is just so very bland and uninteresting. Jill is delusional.

Abby is still a total psycho. I hope she goes to prison. Jeanette is way too intense, about everything.

• Like 1

This is more a general comment than specifically based on this episode, but I kinda always wonder about Abby's dance, I always go into it knowing the general theme or what the dance is about, but I wonder if any of that would make any sense if I wasn't aware of what she is trying to portray... I think that Jeanette was right that Abby doesn't always "tell the story" well. Like I don't know if I would have connected the "bubble boy" story if I didn't already know. I'm thinking about looking on YouTube to test my theory if there are any other dances from this season... But I don't know that I really care that much.

TomGirl, I agree. Couldn't stand either of them on Abby's little dance competition show but now they are my favorite kid/mom. My only beef with Jess is bleaching the poor girl's hair. JoJo has a lot of years ahead of her and I wonder how her hair will hold up in the long run.
  • Love 1

I was really disappointed in the episode.  We saw more of the moms and the girls talking than of the dancing.  I want to see dancing not just talking.

I thought Gavin was great and wish they'd put him on Abby's team instead of the other one.  I'd love to see him do a duet with one of the DM girls. He is really a great dancer.

I actually agreed with Abby one that one. I would not have been talking to the judges/owner, I would have just been complaining to my husband and friends.  But REALLY how long does it take to set up a few chairs?  Especially with more than one person doing it?  My child is in marching band and at competition we have very little time to set up and remove props, if we go over the band has points deducted.  It is so important that as parents we practice set up and removal with a stop watch.  Our props are huge and we get them on and off the field in 2-3 minutes plus the flags, rifles and other items the guard uses.  If another band wasn't following the rule and taking too much time you better believe I'd complain.  As a matter of fact last year another band question whether we'd gone over time, we had made it off field with seconds to spare.

• Love 1

I still like the competitions even though they are "fake."  You never know who they are going to have win.  The new one is cute, but she's no Maddie.  Her mother fits right in on being delusional about her kid's being a star.   The other girls are not keeping up with their peers as anyone could have predicted based on their poor training. 

It's surprising that Maddie is keeping up.  Based on that Rockettes video that someone posted here, she looked right at home dancing with professionals.  Good for her.  Her mother is as creepy as ever. 

I was really disappointed in the episode.  We saw more of the moms and the girls talking than of the dancing.  I want to see dancing not just talking.

I thought Gavin was great and wish they'd put him on Abby's team instead of the other one.  I'd love to see him do a duet with one of the DM girls. He is really a great dancer.

I actually agreed with Abby one that one. I would not have been talking to the judges/owner, I would have just been complaining to my husband and friends.  But REALLY how long does it take to set up a few chairs?  Especially with more than one person doing it?  My child is in marching band and at competition we have very little time to set up and remove props, if we go over the band has points deducted.  It is so important that as parents we practice set up and removal with a stop watch.  Our props are huge and we get them on and off the field in 2-3 minutes plus the flags, rifles and other items the guard uses.  If another band wasn't following the rule and taking too much time you better believe I'd complain.  As a matter of fact last year another band question whether we'd gone over time, we had made it off field with seconds to spare.

But this was done after the original competition if you look at the size of the audience for the purpose of having some sort of controversy in the episode. I'm sure that the dance teachers all know the rules and have done this set up many times before coming to the competition as they know the rules and time periods stated.

But this was done after the original competition if you look at the size of the audience for the purpose of having some sort of controversy in the episode. I'm sure that the dance teachers all know the rules and have done this set up many times before coming to the competition as they know the rules and time periods stated.

I know this is probably the case and that means that Abby was not being ridiculous but playing the part she was told to play.   Because if it was affecting the actual competition then why complain unless she was told to make an issue of something?

It's gotta be hard though - and Maddie has said it's hard for her too. She's 3000 miles away from her 13-year-old who is filming her first movie, all so she can sit in a studio with the other Moms while Mackenzie rehearses for Dance Moms, because she has to be there. I guess one could argue that she's acting like Mack doesn't exist, but I'd probably prioritize Maddie in this situation if I were the Mom.

Mack's doing something she's been doing since she was a very little girl, she's surrounded by people she knows and isn't in a new situation, and there are Moms galore who would gladly watch over her while Melissa was gone. Maddie is doing something that's pretty much entirely new to her and is in a new town with new people all at just turned 13. Compound that with her new-found notoriety and I wouldn't want to be too far from her either.

• Love 1

Finally caught up with the episode on YouTube---I refuse to count as a viewer.

Honestly it was the same sh*t different season and made me really question why Dance Mom's is a thing. 

Melissa is just...ugh. When Brynn's mom was talking about that scene, I could totally see Melissa doing that but, to be fair, those children were Maddie's back round dancers for that performance. Not that I agree with Melissa on most things and not that I would have made it a thing in front of the kids, but I likely would have made sure my child was in something different too. That being said, she sounded off her rocker for the rest of it and making a big deal about signing paperwork over Kalani just seemed odd. Honestly, you can get a POA signed in less than an hour and do exactly what they did. It's not like Melissa took custody away from Kira, she simply acts as her guardian in an emergency situation. Maybe it's because of my experience as a military wife and dealing with POA's galore, but it's really not a big deal or thing.

Brynn's mom is kinda boring and to the poster who said she looks like Kate G, you are so right---it's almost distracting.

My hope will Jill is that she's playing the part Lifetime wants her to play. Honestly, if people were calling for Kendall all summer and she was turning them down because of Abby, then it's her own fault for missing opportunities. Kendall photographs well and could likely model in print---she's not runway material---for a while before going on to dance in college like her sisters. Anything outside of that realm is simply unrealistic. Granted we haven't seen her act, but without a ton of lessons I don't see it happening. 

Holly was forgettable and Jojo and her mom were the same as before. 

The bubble dance was horrible, the waiting room dance was more like a funeral and both solos were meh. The drama at the competition was ridiculous and clearly fake. 

At this point, I just wanna see Abby break down about the jail time stuff and I'm pretty much over it. 

It's past time to end the show. This season I hope will be the last and for me the ending should be Abby walking up the driveway to prison.

That would be amazing!! But I would also like to have Paige, Brooke, Kelly, Chloe, Christi, Jess, JoJo, Nia and anyone else who's been treated like shit by Abby, to be standing on the sidelines as she walks in and for them to be yelling, "save the tears for your prison-issued pillow" at her.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 6

I was so scared for little Jojo!  Yes, there may be 5 minutes of air in that bubble, but was there really 5 minutes of air for the lungs of a little girl dancing?  And the zipper.  How it is hamster balls have air holes but there was no way to make a few for her?  And wow....Abby's solos really do all look the same.  She should get a few guest choreographers in the mix because the routine for the new girl looked exactly like every other dance Maddie has done.

I hate the stupid prop dances and I hate the over the top "sympathy" themed dances, or whatever "issue of the week" it is (I don't know what to call them). This was a lose lose week for me :(

Best part of the week was Abby attempting to explain the phenomenon of having to live in a bubble as an actual disease.  Living in the bubble was the result of having a disease but bubble living, in and of itself....not a disease.

Finally caught up with the episode on YouTube---I refuse to count as a viewer.

Honestly it was the same sh*t different season and made me really question why Dance Mom's is a thing. 

Melissa is just...ugh. When Brynn's mom was talking about that scene, I could totally see Melissa doing that but, to be fair, those children were Maddie's back round dancers for that performance. Not that I agree with Melissa on most things and not that I would have made it a thing in front of the kids, but I likely would have made sure my child was in something different too. That being said, she sounded off her rocker for the rest of it and making a big deal about signing paperwork over Kalani just seemed odd. Honestly, you can get a POA signed in less than an hour and do exactly what they did. It's not like Melissa took custody away from Kira, she simply acts as her guardian in an emergency situation. Maybe it's because of my experience as a military wife and dealing with POA's galore, but it's really not a big deal or thing.

Brynn's mom is kinda boring and to the poster who said she looks like Kate G, you are so right---it's almost distracting.

My hope will Jill is that she's playing the part Lifetime wants her to play. Honestly, if people were calling for Kendall all summer and she was turning them down because of Abby, then it's her own fault for missing opportunities. Kendall photographs well and could likely model in print---she's not runway material---for a while before going on to dance in college like her sisters. Anything outside of that realm is simply unrealistic. Granted we haven't seen her act, but without a ton of lessons I don't see it happening. 

Holly was forgettable and Jojo and her mom were the same as before. 

The bubble dance was horrible, the waiting room dance was more like a funeral and both solos were meh. The drama at the competition was ridiculous and clearly fake. 

At this point, I just wanna see Abby break down about the jail time stuff and I'm pretty much over it. 

I don't even see why all that paperwork was necessary.  I have no idea how long they are filming, but I would think it would be the same as if your kid had an emergency at summer camp.  You don't sign your kids over to the summer camp, even though they are going to be spending 3 months in the care of other adults.

I didn't really see a problem with what Melissa said or how she behaved.  If the kid was Maddie's backup dancer that's what she was.  Its not a personal slight, not everyone on stage can be J-Lo.  And why would you engage in some useless fight over what you may or may not have said weeks ago?  I think this lady was just mad she didn't get extra camera time.

Jill continues to dig Kendall a deeper hole by having Abby "manage" her.

And I love how Abby continues to take every possible credit for Maddie's success.  She is becoming like an annoying barnacle, and I think Melissa is slowly setting the stage to have Abby out of Maddie's life for good.

Paperwork may have been needed because of filming. I think kids have to have a guardian on set with them as part of labor laws. I've heard about child actors having to have a parent on set like that.

good point, I hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense.

Paperwork may have been needed because of filming. I think kids have to have a guardian on set with them as part of labor laws. I've heard about child actors having to have a parent on set like that.

I just wanted to add on to what you said, because you actually usually do sign something for medical treatment in an emergency for camp etc...not necessarily literally guardianship but I guess similar to what was probably actually done in this case.

general question for the board: Maddie is out in la shooting this movie, according to Melissa.

I feel like Melissa, as much as any parent, and Abby, as a weird and desperate hangar on have a tendency to make Maddie's work sound much bigger than it is.  So does anyone know more about this?  I know Melissa mentioned the director of Jurassic World and Maddie being a dancer.  But is this like a leading role, or is she "#1 background dancer in scenes 5-10?"  I'm just curious.

Maddie plays a large role in the upcoming film - The Book of Henry - google it and there are loads of articles. Now how her acting is?? I haven't been impressed up till now with what little she has done but I'm assuming the girls are enrolled in acting classes while in LA. The part she plays - seems to fit her - so I'm sure she'll do well if she has been taking acting lessons.

We'll just have to see whether it draws the audiences or not - Maddie may very well continue to be in the news next year receiving an award for the film - so we'll just have to wait and see.

• Love 1

Kudos to Maddie for scoring a legit movie with legit cred, but I don't think we have to worry about her walking off with awards next season. Unless we're talking like Kids Choice or Teens Choice type awards that are basically voted on by fans. She's not suddenly going to be walking off with Golden Globes. It's not that kind of part. I guess the movie itself could be nominated for things, but I think that's a long way off yet.

I hate that some of the girls are starting to come off so bratty. To be fair, I think some of it is age. They are teenagers for the most part, whereas of course at the beginning they were all cute kids. Plus of course this environment can't be good for them, but it's starting to feel like some of them believe their own hype. Mack is going to be one bratty teen and Kendall is fairly obnoxious. Maddie, it's hard to tell since a lot of her obnoxious moments are directed at her sister.

• Love 1

Thanks for the info everyone. That's pretty interesting, there are so many Disney actresses that I'm surprised they would go with her for a larger role. But hey...that REAL agent/manager she is with must be hustling.

• Love 1