Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

Episode 34.2, One Angry Lisa:

Hated this episode.  I hate when Marge gets all "I just want to do something for MEEEEEEEE for once".  With these episodes, it seems it's always the same theme - Marge is overworked and underappreciated and just wanted some time for herself and poor Marge, everyone is all mad at her and yet she's just trying to survive blah blah blah.   

The Lisa storyline was utterly pointless.  The one surprise was that I was expecting Sanctimonious Lisa to preach against the evils of big corporations and money and material items etc... and she really didn't.  

On 10/3/2022 at 11:09 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

One of the worst episodes in a long time.  The Plympton short was awful, and the show went downhill from there. More "No Accountability Marge" and "Ignored Lisa".

I did the like Moe's "really bad lighting".

On 10/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, Spartan Girl said:

It sucks that we were cheated out of Maggie delivering what could have been a beautiful “fuck you” to Marge. Really shows that she can’t handle any criticism from a freaking baby.

Once again, the hypocrisy rankles that Marge gets to obsess over other men yet is still entitled to throw a psycho bitchfit over Homer having a platonic female friend.

Agree with both comments.  I didn't like the couch gag, is this artist supposed to be famous?  It didn't make any sense and wasn't entertaining.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, Galileo908 said:

Couch Gag: Scrabble tiles!

Well, that was the LAST thing I was expecting out of this episode. Thanks to a pair of hacktivists, we pretty much got a new 22 Short Stories, but the shorts were able to be taken to strange, new places. So naturally this was easily one of my favorite episodes in a while.

My favorite segments were the origin of the Charles Bronson Guy (an alien queen-like creature births them out), and Martin turning out to be a 36 year old narc. And then came the last act and (jokingly) confirmed both Eddie being Ralph's father, and the coma dream theory. Also loved "the dog segment", Chalmers flaying himself, and Frink in The Martian. Also really appreciated the montage of (most) of the show's cringiest moments.

Both hacktivists being named Ashley was just a great capper. I hope we see them again.

On 10/9/2022 at 8:27 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

This was a great idea, but I wonder how they pitched it? Were these jokes just lying around? Because this was a lot to come up with. 

This was a fun episode.  Question, was this all new animation, or were some clips re-used from old shows?  I especially liked the clip when Future Bart went into the past to tell the family about things.  The animation style was definitely the "old" style and not the crisp animation of the post-HD era.

I loved the fit dude getting Homer's green radiation crystal and devolving into Hans Moleman.  Loved the quick snippet of Homer eating the spit of gyros in the shower.  And "if I press this button the only Hulk that exists will be Edward Norton".  Would have been even better if she said Eric Bana, but it was still a great line.

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I was afraid that it was really going to be Lisa vs. Bart in Boy Explorers, which sounded boring (in addition to having been done a million times).  I ended up really enjoying it.

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I thought the same thing. Lisa and Bart at odds until something happens and they team up (or one saving other) and have a brother/sister bonding moment until the next episode.

I bet they know what we were all thinking when they came up with that title and description. Well played, Simpsons.

Yep.  Since I loathe Lisa, as soon as I saw the title of the episode and then Lisa went on her usual "just because a girl doesn't mean I'm any less valid" rant, I rolled my eyes.  But then was pleasantly surprised!

Krusty lost all his money investing in NFTs: Nonfunny TV Shows.

I loved all the names of all the weird dog foods. "Anxiety Alpo" and "Soylent Fetch" were the funniest of the ones I caught.

Lindsey Naegle was definitely more fitting of the Ellen DeGeneres terror than Krusty was. He just has to fake being nice and the money rolls in. Krusty's used to being a sellout and the daytime talk show audience were perfect marks: they laughed and cheered at anything because they were happy to be out of the house. Seems to let the name on the show off the hook, really. Of course it's the first show where he's NOT responsible for the toxic work environment. Sigh, it's another episode where Marge becomes a terrible person. Blowing off an intervention has to be near the gutter for her.

Getting tossed in the PTSD (Post Talk Show Disorder) loony bin was a fitting end for Lindsey Naegle.

"Once you have enough episodes of a any classic show, why would you keep making more?" Definitely explains why Bart was okay with Krusty being a sellout again. I wanna see Krust+. I bet it has the Krusty Komeback Special and the Krusty Komedy Klassic.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2022 at 8:32 PM, Galileo908 said:

I loved all the names of all the weird dog foods. "Anxiety Alpo" and "Soylent Fetch" were the funniest of the ones I caught.

In addition there was:
-- Pedigravy
-- Mutt Mouth
-- Growlie's Griblets
-- Purple Bison
-- Pupper Supper
-- Nature's Attempt
-- Barking Mad
-- Jimmy Kibble's
-- Pile O' Pellets
-- Nectar of the Dogs
-- Puppy Chomp
-- Alfaux Prime Silvers
-- Canine to Five Grazer's Bounty
-- Purina Despair
-- Au Jus Locomotive
-- Soylent Canine
-- Big Dog Naturals
-- Lord Brisket's Steak Pellets
-- Pet Degree
-- Puppy Ciao
-- Dr. Hush's Calm Down Beef (in one scene this name was written backwards for some reason)
-- Kibble's 'N What's
-- Refined Canine
-- Cycle 7, 084
-- Cerberus' Organic Health Chuck
-- Dusty's Discount Factory Sweepings
-- Senior Dog

Marge's To Do List
-- Pet Store
-- Flea Check Dog
-- Flea Check Homer
-- Grocery Store
-- Bulk Grocery Store
-- Vegan Grocery Store -- Lisa
-- Bank

Segment ideas on Marge's board:
-- Hunky Plant Daddies
-- After School Snack Hacks
-- Krusty Pranks Weird Guy in Accounting
-- Evolution of the Throw Blanket
-- Celebrity Composting Tips
-- Edible Christmas Decorations
-- Bonnie Raitt
-- Studio Croquet
-- Best Wine-Themed Wall Art
-- Phone Booth Karaoke
-- Smart Pet Tricks
-- Cupcake Skirmishes
-- Golf Cart Lip Sync
-- PTA Meeting Drinking Games
-- Elevator Charades
-- Celebrity Obstacle Course
-- Repurposing Old Receipts
-- Candle Unboxing & Sniffing
-- Babies Do a Thing
-- Tax Season Tips w/ US Women's Soccer Team
-- Predictable Stews
-- Unpredictable Casseroles
-- How Do You Smell to Others ?
-- Candle Unboxing Again
-- Tongue Scrapers Ranked
-- Date Night Fails
-- Krusty Pranks E.R. Doctors
-- Soup Dunk Tank
-- Krusty Scares Everyone
-- Guess the Price: Condiment Edition
-- Pumpkins
-- Texting ?
-- Something with Vacuums
-- Give Audience $20

List of Krusty Magazine Covers:
-- The Daily Daytime Prattle (He's a Hit!)
-- The Hollywood Reporter (Krusty: King of Nice)
-- GQ (The Nice Issue)
-- Time (Yep, I'm nice)
-- Variety (Krusty Inks Historic 10,000-Episode Deal)
-- K - The Krusty Magazine

Ruth's Chris's Sal's Bob's Ruth's Steak House.

Sideshow Mel: "Ladies and gay friends. I'm M.C. Hairbone -- the funkiest daytime DJ in the world.  Get on your feet for your newest non-threateningest king of late morning or early afternoon depending on your local market or time zone ... Krusty !!!"

Lindsay Neagle: "Back to work. We need 50 branded segment ideas for menopause, Chapstick, and something called 'Cereal Wine'.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

One of the best bits of the episode for me was the repeated use of Flo Rida's "Low" being used as the theme music for Krusty's opening.  That song will never ever get old.

Other than that, here's yet another episode where Marge does something for herself and neglects her family.  I did think the segment titles and the dog food names were funny.

On 10/16/2022 at 5:32 PM, Galileo908 said:

"Once you have enough episodes of a any classic show, why would you keep making more?" Definitely explains why Bart was okay with Krusty being a sellout again.

I like it when they do the an inside joke/meta thing.  Seems like it's been a while since they took a shot at themselves, although I have high hopes for the upcoming Treehouse of Terror.

Had computer trouble last night, but I’m here!

Season 34, ep 5: Treehouse of Horror Presents: Not IT

When a supernatural clown starts slaying the children of Kingfield, young Homer Simpson teams up with other middle school misfits to face their fears and defeat the mysterious monster.

Airs 10/23/22

I thought this one was pretty fun, and I could see why only one segment wouldn’t have done this justice. I’d say this was pretty light on laughs, but more focused on scares. I liked how the kids were shocked that their “whimsical kid weapons” didn’t work on Krusty (loved Homer rocking the Power Glove), and getting genuine laughter was the key to killing him.

Marge and CBG was a pairing I didn’t see coming. I did like alternate Bart and Lisa, with Lisa as the sarcastic troublemaker and Bart being the nerd.

Noticed missing posters for Apu and Frank Grimes, and caught Nelson’s two lackeys among the spirits at the end.

12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Bleach your mustache! You look like El Debarge! That's a long walk for that joke. 

That was probably my favorite joke of the episode.

• Love 1

Technically, I'd say this was 2 segments, since they covered It and It2. 

The overall story was a single one, but they could have easily ended at the It one and covered another segment if they wanted to I'm sure. 

So I guess this was just a bonus Treehouse of Horror, since it seems the "regular" ToH with the traditional three segments seems to be airing this coming Sunday.

I enjoyed it, I liked the idea of this clown materialising every 27 years.

I greatly dislike Comic Book Guy (even this alternate incarnation) so I was ticked when he stole Homer's poem and thought it was fantastic when he died, making a noble sacrifice, only for Marge to tell him that it doesn't make up for him lying to her for years.  Ha ha.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I enjoyed it, I liked the idea of this clown materialising every 27 years.

I think that's from the source material. I'm familiar in general with Stephen King's works, but I really never could get into them. 

I liked when Moe's dummy did the spit take while Moe was drinking after the show. 

I liked the personality and age swapped alternate Bart and Lisa. Actually if felt a bit of a waste to have that as such a brief gag when it could have made an interesting segment in it's own right.

• Like 1
On 10/24/2022 at 9:38 AM, Galileo908 said:

Had computer trouble last night, but I’m here!

I was worried about you. It was a bit of a shock not to see your usual post on Sunday.

As a longtime Constant Reader, I loved this ep and thought they did SK proud. But yeah, it was light on laughs, except for Kang and Kodos at the end, which I giggled about for a long time.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:02 AM, rubaco said:

As a longtime Constant Reader, I loved this ep and thought they did SK proud. But yeah, it was light on laughs, except for Kang and Kodos at the end, which I giggled about for a long time.

Same here.

I liked the Simpsons spin, and I liked the non-It-Stephen-King-references like Kingfield and his other books and characters.

My first thought was, I wonder what Uncle Steve thought about it?

Apparently, not much...

https://www.looper.com/1070054/stephen-king-turned-down-a-cameo-in-the-simpsons-treehouse-of-horror-not-it-episode/

11 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

My first thought was, I wonder what Uncle Steve thought about it?

Apparently, not much...

https://www.looper.com/1070054/stephen-king-turned-down-a-cameo-in-the-simpsons-treehouse-of-horror-not-it-episode/

Okay, the show runners can cool it. King doesn’t have to cameo if he doesn’t want to.

I would have liked this episode more if it was Bart, Lisa, and the other actual kids being the Losers Club. But mostly because I feel that Marge isn’t fit to polish Bev’s shoes, much less walk in them.

• Love 3

THOH time! And they cut right to the chase, it seems.

The Pookadook: This was legit unsettling. It was cute, and really sad at how Marge really is the neglected member of the family.

Death Tome: My expectations were sky high, and it actually pulled it off.

Simpsonsworld: Westworld parody, with Simpsons nerds endlessly reliving their favorite segments. And one of the Homerbots gains self-awareness. And then we get EVERY notable Simpsons moment at once. Seriously, it’s a fanservice dream, and I eat that up. The family fought back. And then they go to the Bob’s Burgers dome and run into Linda. That was great.

All in all, one of the best THOH in ages. This was great.

Edit: from the Bob’s Burgers bit:

Burger of The Day: Trilogy of Terror-Yaki Burger

Neighbor: Clothe The Raven

Edgar Allan Poe Cosplay Supply

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

Simpsonsworld was the best one of the night, hands down. It milked nostalgia for all it was worth, but hey, when it works, it works. The ending with them getting stuck in Bob’s Burgers was perfect.

And the anime one was pretty damn good too. 

2 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

The Pookadook: This was legit unsettling. It was cute, and really sad at how Marge really is the neglected member of the family.

Meh, I’m over Marge’s pity parties. But everything before that I liked.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Meh, I’m over Marge’s pity parties. But everything before that I liked.

I feel that Marge was justified in her resentment.

Good thing I DVR’d this, two segments had Easter eggs everywhere and I can’t wait to comb through them.

• Love 2

'Gender reveal napalm' was an ad in the Death Tome segment. I don't know if Lisa killing people was creepy or that it was anime. I like anime, but Simpsons anime was creeping me out. The segment had an Agent 13 vibe to me, but it could just be general anime tactics. 

That last segment had a ton of gags. I actually said 'too soon!' when Homer popped Maude Flanders with the t shirt gun.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

'Gender reveal napalm' was an ad in the Death Tome segment. I don't know if Lisa killing people was creepy or that it was anime. I like anime, but Simpsons anime was creeping me out. The segment had an Agent 13 vibe to me, but it could just be general anime tactics. 

Are you familiar with Death Note? Because aside from the rule against killing people the same way twice, that was the premise. A straight-A student gets his hands on a notebook that kills people and they go mad with power.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

I feel that Marge was justified in her resentment.

Still doesn’t justify trying to kill her own child and probably the rest of the family. Yes, she was possessed but still.

That minor quibble aside, this was the most fun I had watching the show in quite some time.

• Love 1

Books in Maggie's Room (other than 'The Pookadook'):
-- Good Night, Escaped Gorilla 
-- Don't Let the Pigeon Drive Drunk
-- What Do You People Do All Day ?
-- S'up Moon ?
-- Harold the Delusional Vandal
-- The Ugly Ducking Gets a Beak Job
-- Spot the Hidden Objects (Can you find the comb and the vacuum cleaner ?)
-- The Grumple Who Snatched Christmas

Other rules of the Death Tome:
-- Due to supply chain issues, "DEATH BY FALLING ANVIL" is no longer part of the program
-- Doctors are barred from using Death Tome due to illegible writing
-- Hearts over "I's", or similar cutesy doodles will result in the immediate death of the writer
-- <something, something> combined with death <something, something> DEATH BOOKS or MAGAZINE

All the various worlds:
-- SimpsonWorld
-- Bob's Burgers Land
-- Futurama Rama
-- South Park Park 
-- Family Guy Town
-- Rick and Morty Universe
-- Big Mouth Mountain
-- SpongeBob Sea

ETA: Fixed one of the book titles.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

All in all, one of the best THOH in ages. This was great.

I said the same thing, and I've never even seen Westworld. I loved all the segments. Hell I thought it was the best Simpsons episode period in ages.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Other rules of the Death Tome:
-- Due to supply chain issues, "DEATH BY FALLING ANVIL" is no longer part of the program
-- Doctors are barred from using Death Tome due to illegible writing
-- Hearts over "I's", or similar cutesy doodles will result in the immediate death of the writer
-- <something, something> combined with death <something, something> DEATH BOOKS or MAGAZINE

A rare instance of a parody Death Note having better rules than the real one.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I actually liked 'what do people do all day' as the best book because it was real, and I don't know what people do all day. I live 3 miles from work so I can go home for lunch, but when I see people driving around, I do wonder what all of them are doing. Not all of them live close to work. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Death Tome: My expectations were sky high, and it actually pulled it off.

Indeed! I thought I might be disappointed, but I wasn't. Loved that it was Lisa who went dark. Beat the pants off the "live action" Death Note movie, too.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Books in Maggie's Room (other than 'The Pookadook'):
-- Good Night, Escaped Gorilla 
-- Don't Let the Pigeon Drive Drunk
-- What Do People Do All Day ?

15 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I actually liked 'what do people do all day' as the best book because it was real, and I don't know what people do all day. I live 3 miles from work so I can go home for lunch, but when I see people driving around, I do wonder what all of them are doing. Not all of them live close to work. 

It was actually WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE DO ALL DAY, which is somehow creepier. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

One of the best THOHs ever.  I absolutely loved the Westworld parody.  I'm going to have to go back and watch again for all the Simpsons highlights but I especially loved "I Choo Choo Choose You" and Maude getting hit by the T-shirt.

Death Note was great as well, I loved the creative ways for the deaths.  Alligator in the Toilet, and then later Lion in the Toilet.  Hah.

15 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I've thought the same.  Like when I go into the city for a doctor's appointment and then drive out to go to work.  It's 10:30 am and there is tons of traffic, I'm thinking, do none of you people work?  Not everyone would have had an appointment that gets out at mid-morning, would they?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I liked all three segments but I only know Babadook Pookadook. I bet the other two are funnier if you know the source material.

I did laugh at how the characters look very pretty in Death Tome just like real anime characters (is it wrong to have crushes on anime characters? I say no.) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/29/2022 at 8:38 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Okay, the show runners can cool it. King doesn’t have to cameo if he doesn’t want to.

He's 75 years old and certainly doesn't need the money or the exposure.  Maybe he's reached the point in life where he's cutting back on extracurriculars.

As long as he keeps publishing...

• Love 1

Couch gag: the family as breakfast! With gravy!

Loved seeing Duffman through the decades. And of course he keeps getting into trouble by spraying beer in women’s lawyer offices.

How many times has Homer met Duffman now? And how many times has Homer BEEN Duffman? And once again Homer is a considered a good dad because another one is worse. (Most of them were at PF Thongs with him!) I appreciated that he became the mascot of his daughter’s dispensery in the end.

Lisa being into K-Pop is perfectly in character. 

• Love 4

I don't know why Lisa keeps getting her hopes up when it comes to Homer. Did she really think he'd take her to the Agatha Christie museum without complaint? She should know he wouldn't do anything for her without a selfish motive.

• Love 2

It was obviously telegraphed that Homer was going to choose Duffman over Lisa and the Agatha Christie museum.  But I really loved that they apparently made it there as we saw in the end credits.  I'm trying to figure out how, since the lady said they would be closed for three months, but maybe she made an exception.

As an Agatha Christie fan, I personally would love that museum.  That photo is something I would totally geek out and line up to do!

On 11/16/2022 at 2:00 PM, blackwing said:

As an Agatha Christie fan, I personally would love that museum.  That photo is something I would totally geek out and line up to do!

I would give anything to go to that Agatha Christie museum! 

Season 34, ep 8: Step Brother from the Same Planet

Homer is stunned by his feelings of resentment when Grampa becomes a doting stepfather to his girlfriend’s quirky young son; Lisa and Bart throw the ultimate slumber party.

Airs 11/20/22

Don’t know what’s weirder: Melissa McCarthy voicing a little boy, or Abe actually being happy.

It sucks that Calvin and Lisa were in separate plots. I feel like they’ve gotten along. Hell, with his prank war with Homer, he was Bart and Lisa rolled into one kid.

Boo, Blythe and Calvin got written off in the tag.

I do like that googly eyed shells is what got Homer’s resentment through to Abe. Those two really do deserve each other. And Homer will always be right about sending him to the crappy Retirement Castle the first chance he got.

“To unprocessed trauma!” You said it, Moe. Lenny had to clean pool covers from the bottom?! That’s a new one for me.

As someone who spent time in retirement homes, I’m surprised Bart & Lisa’s parties weren’t shut down like immediately.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 4

I don't know how they got away with those parties. Old people are nosey. I liked all the activities going on behind the closed door while Bart and Lisa were freaking out in the hall way. Something about the climbing wall falling on the pony. 

• Love 5